NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Standards for Moving

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Barbaria
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 22, 2022
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Standards for Moving

Postby Barbaria » Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:20 am

Standards for Moving
Regulation/Safety: Strong?
Proposed by: Barbaria

The World Assembly,

Noticing a lack of required regulation in certain countries for moving on an international level,

The World Assembly hereby:

1. Defines "moving" as a part in the process of one switching their residence by free will, which involves transporting some of the customer's belongings to a specified destination.
  2. Defines a "moving company" as the main company that assist with a group's moving.
  3. Defines a "customer", only for this resolution, as who the moving company serves and transports their belongings to a new destination.
  4. Creates the International Community's Body of Moving, which shall also be known as the ICBM.
  5. Mandates that all moving companies make certain details about known to their national government, and mandates that the ICBM has the right to view these important details. The details that must be known include:
    1. The location where the moving company will load some of the customer's property, which must be near the customer's old residence or old storage units,
    2. The location where the moving company will drop off all of the customer's property, which must be near the customer's new residence or
      new storage units,
    3. Who and what company will move the customer's belongings,
    4. The space inside the vessel that shall move the customer's property that was legally reserved for said customer's belongings,
    5. The rate at which the moving company shall charge the customer, and
    6. Time units in minutes which show when all significant actions taken by the mover and moving company happened, which must include the time units of when all other required details of Clause V happened, when the mover exited the moving vessel or stopped driving for a significant amount of time voluntarily, and anything else that is deemed important and mandatory by national governments.
  6. Demands that moving companies follow the charge rate, and exclude times where the vessel used for the move was idle from the charge rate.
  7. Mandates that moving vessels must not operate when there is an insufficient amount of natural light.
  8. Requires that moving vessels operate for at most 10 hours per day, with the mover taking at least a 30 minute break after 5 hours of the vessel's operation, and the vessel stays unoperational and the mover rests after the 10 hours, for safety.
  9. Allows the ICBM to order national government to punish moving companies who fake the information they published for Articles V and VI according to the nation's national law, and mandates nations carry out the consequence.
  10. Encourages national governments to continue legislating about moving and requirements for moving companies and/or customers.
Last edited by Barbaria on Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Federal Republic of Barbaria
A modern tech nation with few post-modern elements. Mostly conservative and "good for some, bad for others".
Depression/Suicide Help Resources | Frequently Asked Questions | One Stop Rules Shop

Barbaria
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Barbaria » Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:21 am

Future drafts go here.
A modern tech nation with few post-modern elements. Mostly conservative and "good for some, bad for others".
Depression/Suicide Help Resources | Frequently Asked Questions | One Stop Rules Shop

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:24 am

Why does the ICBM exist if it has no responsibilities other than to review Article v records?

Barbaria wrote:Defines a "customer", only for this resolution, as who the moving company

Who the moving company what?

Barbaria wrote:Time units about down to the time it takes breath

Time is not ordinarily measured in terms of how long it takes to breathe in and out.

Barbaria wrote:The space inside the vessel that shall move the customer's property that was legally reserved for said customer's belongings

Why does this information have to be collected?
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Barbaria
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Barbaria » Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:31 am

Tinhampton wrote:Why does the ICBM exist if it has no responsibilities other than to review Article v records?

Oh, yeah. I forgot to make the ICBM enforce Article V records. Will do it now, thanks.

Barbaria wrote:Defines a "customer", only for this resolution, as who the moving company

Who the moving company what?

Once again my brain forgot to put something. Whoops! :p

Barbaria wrote:Time units about down to the time it takes breath

Time is not ordinarily measured in terms of how long it takes to breathe in and out.

Time is illegal to measure in seconds or minutes, though.

Barbaria wrote:The space inside the vessel that shall move the customer's property that was legally reserved for said customer's belongings

How would you like it if I sold you a truck that looks like it has 12 square meters in space but, in the inside, only has 11.5?

A big problem for moving customers today.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:42 am

Barbaria wrote:

Why? Many proposals talk about how many months or years it will take to do something.

Barbaria wrote:

How would you like it if I sold you a truck that looks like it has 12 square meters in space but, in the inside, only has 11.5?

Is it?
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Barbaria
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Barbaria » Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:54 am

Tinhampton wrote:
Barbaria wrote:

Why? Many proposals talk about how many months or years it will take to do something.

Really? Then I'll change some words and... bam! Thanks.

Barbaria wrote:

Is it?

For every capitalist nation, and even some non-capitalists, yes.

Heidgaudr
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 25, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Heidgaudr » Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:47 pm

OOC: ICBM is a terrible name for a committee.

IC: "Yet more pointless micromanagement from the World's Assembly. This isn't an international issue. Opposed."
IC comments are from Amb. Asgeir Trelstad unless otherwise stated.
Factbooks: WA Staff | WA Agenda | Government | Religion | Demographics
Resolutions authored: GA#629, GA#638, GA#650

Barbaria
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Barbaria » Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:54 pm

Heidgaudr wrote:OOC: ICBM is a terrible name for a committee.

IC: "Yet more pointless micromanagement from the World's Assembly. This isn't an international issue. Opposed."

For your OOC post, but it's a great acronym! Who wouldn't want to be subject to regulation by an Intercontinental Ballistic Missile - I mean, the International Community's Body of Moving?

As for your IC post, we understand that you believe that this is not an international issue. However, we believe that it is, and will continue to attempt to make this necessary proposal one step closer to being a resolution.

Comfed
Minister

Founded: Apr 09, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Comfed » Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:40 pm

In what was is this possibly an international issue?

Uan aa Boa
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 23, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Uan aa Boa » Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:53 pm

Barbaria wrote:Noticing a required lack of standards for moving on an international level

When moving on an international level I have also noticed that a lack of standards is required.

Barbaria
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Barbaria » Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:12 pm

Uan aa Boa wrote:
Barbaria wrote:Noticing a required lack of standards for moving on an international level

When moving on an international level I have also noticed that a lack of standards is required.

We all make mistakes, but I wonder if some people make them too often.

Fixed.

Comfed wrote:In what way is this possibly an international issue?

Certain nations make their workers, which includes movers, work non-stop, and also allows movers to charge their clients however they want.
Last edited by Barbaria on Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Uan aa Boa
Ambassador

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Uan aa Boa » Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:37 pm

Barbaria wrote:Noticing a lack of required regulation in certain countries for moving on an international level,

I'm more confused now. Is this supposed to cover moves within one nation or just international moves?

Barbaria wrote:Certain nations make their workers, which includes movers, work non-stop, and also allows movers to charge their clients however they want.

In that case see what resolutions exist on workers' rights and see if improvements are needed. That might genuinely be an international issue in terms of universal rights. Why handle that one business at a time? Are we expecting further resolutions on plumbers, postal workers, farm labourers etc etc?

And so what if movers overcharge? You'll need to explain why market forces don't sufficiently discourage this already, think about what might already be in place to cover the situation where price fixing or cartel behaviour prevent that discouragement, and as above ask why you're only tacking this in a single small business activity.

Barbaria
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Barbaria » Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:15 am

Uan aa Boa wrote:
Barbaria wrote:Noticing a lack of required regulation in certain countries for moving on an international level,

I'm more confused now. Is this supposed to cover moves within one nation or just international moves?

Hmm. Good point. I might have to make a second draft soon, which includes some freedoms and regulations for international moves.

Barbaria wrote:Certain nations make their workers, which includes movers, work non-stop, and also allows movers to charge their clients however they want.

In that case see what resolutions exist on workers' rights and see if improvements are needed. That might genuinely be an international issue in terms of universal rights. Why handle that one business at a time? Are we expecting further resolutions on plumbers, postal workers, farm labourers etc etc?

You have a great point once again. I'm not going to include all of those businesses in my resolution, but there should be a resolution about a worker's undeniable rights.

And so what if movers overcharge? You'll need to explain why market forces don't sufficiently discourage this already, think about what might already be in place to cover the situation where price fixing or cartel behaviour prevent that discouragement, and as above ask why you're only tacking this in a single small business activity.

Great point once more.
Last edited by Barbaria on Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Barbaria
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Barbaria » Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:52 pm

/bump

Barbaria
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Barbaria » Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:24 am

/bump

Uan aa Boa
Ambassador

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Uan aa Boa » Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:08 am

Barbaria wrote:/bump

What are you bumping for? You haven't fixed any of the problems that have already been pointed out to you.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:06 am

“I’m not a fan of commonly saying that a given issue isn’t an international issue. I don’t particularly mind if an issue is not international in scope, as long as a proposal on that issue does more good than harm. However, in this case, I will concede that this is not an international issue. It is barely a national issue. This is not necessarily about scope, more about the unwieldiness of the General Assembly. It is like using a series of explosions of dynamite in order to prepare someone’s desert. If you were to make this focus on international moving, then I might be more interested, but domestic moving is not a suitable area for the General Assembly to address, at least not in this way.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly