NATION

PASSWORD

Should I Play World of Warcraft?

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.
The Name of Our Great Leader
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 27, 2022
Ex-Nation

Should I Play World of Warcraft?

Postby The Name of Our Great Leader » Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:53 am

Here's the thing: I love video games. Absolutely adore them. However, MMOs have never really seemed like my cup of tea. Recently, I was browsing YouTube and came across an old classic: LEEEEROOOOYYY JEENNKKIIINSSSSS. Obviously I wet myself laughing (it's impossible not to), and thought "man, this seems like a game with real community spirit". I know that this is an old video, but couldn't help but wonder if the game is still like this.

Now, here's some personal backstory. I now have a lot of free time on my hands (my place of work burnt down (not my fault lol) and I got a pretty neat severance package (made redundant)) and was thinking of picking up WoW, but I thought I thought I'd come here to ask some likeminded individuals their opinion first as it seems to be a pretty big timesink.

I <3 my wife

Reino de Portvgal
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 11, 2021
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Reino de Portvgal » Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:56 am

It's a nice game, try it and see for yourself. Some games are for you some are not, WoW is actuallly pretty nice if your in to that type of game. I have played it in the past and it was fun mainly because I had a lot of friends playing it, for me that makes it automatically more exciting and fun.
Sereníssimo Reino de Portugal Most Serene Kingdom of Portugal
"Com Cristo! Pelo Reino e por El-Rei! Hurrá! Hurrá! Hurrá!"

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:03 am

The game and writing has gone fairly downhill tbh.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Kalivyah
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 30, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Kalivyah » Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:58 am

The Name of Our Great Leader wrote:Here's the thing: I love video games. Absolutely adore them. However, MMOs have never really seemed like my cup of tea. Recently, I was browsing YouTube and came across an old classic: LEEEEROOOOYYY JEENNKKIIINSSSSS. Obviously I wet myself laughing (it's impossible not to), and thought "man, this seems like a game with real community spirit". I know that this is an old video, but couldn't help but wonder if the game is still like this.

Now, here's some personal backstory. I now have a lot of free time on my hands (my place of work burnt down (not my fault lol) and I got a pretty neat severance package (made redundant)) and was thinking of picking up WoW, but I thought I thought I'd come here to ask some likeminded individuals their opinion first as it seems to be a pretty big timesink.

Do you plan on staying together with your wife? If no, then go ahead and play it.
Kali
" A goddess in Hinduism, one of the most significant figures within that religion, who destroys evil forces and bestows liberation."
she/they/him

Extremely queer. Also probably mentally deranged
☭ Marxist-Leninist
Unapologetic Stalinist

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Esternial » Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:10 pm

Hi!

General is actually not the place to ask for advice on stuff like this. I've towed this topic to A&F because the topic revolves around a video game, but you aren't really supposed to dedicate an entire thread to just ask for advice.

This seems more like a topic to bring up in one of our chat threads, so in the future if you feel like having a light-hearted chat or need some input from folks, I'd invite you to post there. There's a lot of friendly folk there :)

To give you my opinion: I've played WoW for about a year or two. It's a fun timesink but nothing special from an RPG/Storyline perspective (it's very convoluted, especially if you're jumping now). Just make sure you don't get too addicted and think twice before you spend too much of your money.
Last edited by Esternial on Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to Arts & Fiction