NATION

PASSWORD

COLOSSAL Cyber Security Breach in Australia

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

COLOSSAL Cyber Security Breach in Australia

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:33 am

https://amp.abc.net.au/article/101476232

So OPTUS, Australia's second largest telecommunications had the personal information details of 9 million customers, past and present stolen by a hacker. To put this into perspective, Optus has 9.5 million current customers, and Australia has fewer than 26 million people all up. This means that more than 35% of all Australians have potentially had their data stolen. THIRTY FIVE PERCENT. The hacker in question stole the personal information of OPTUS customers such as passport information, driver's licence numbers, etc. Demanding a $1,000,000 ransom from OPTUS. This has lead to a huge investigation by Australian FEDERAL authorities and (for some reason) the FBI in the USA is involved. According to the dark web, the hacker supposedly decided to delete all the stolen information, and ditch the ransom, however, people are supposedly getting texts from the hacker threatening to leak their info to the dark web, unless they pay $2000. This is such a colossal matter that both major political parties are working together, bipartisan, to see what went wrong and to pass future laws to prevent such attacks, and potentially prosecute OPTUS for this one. It's also quite possible that fradulent credit cards have been setting up in the victim's names.
Optus is 100% owned by Singapore based company, SingTel, executives of which have flown over to Optus HQ in Sydney for an emergency meeting. This an ever evolving story, so I'll keep you updated with news as I come across it.

Many people (myself included) are demanding to know why Optus holds on to customer information like passport info and driver's licences for years after the connection has been created, including those of former customers. Anyways, NSG, what do you guys think?
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Eahland
Senator

Founded: Apr 18, 2006
Libertarian Police State

Postby Eahland » Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:38 am

Why the hell does a telecommunications company even have passport and driver's license info?
Eahlisc Wordboc (Glossary)
Eahlisc Healþambiht segþ: NE DRENCE, EÐA, OÞÞE ONDO BLÆCE!

Emotional Support Crocodile
Senator

Founded: Jun 06, 2022
New York Times Democracy

Postby Emotional Support Crocodile » Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:06 am

North Korea perhaps.
Just another surprising item on the bagging scale of life

Only 10 minutes to save the West... but I could murder a pint

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality can feel like oppression

HISPIDA
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 21, 2021
Anarchy

Postby HISPIDA » Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:02 am

it was me sorry
Algerstonia did nothing wrong. Hold Moderators accountable. (she/they)
"We have liberated Europe from fascism, and they will never forgive us for it." - Georgy Zhukov (purportedly)
read my iiwiki
free palestine. trans rights are human rights. no war but class war
Victory Day: February 23, 2022

Ayytaly
Minister

Founded: Feb 08, 2019
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ayytaly » Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:18 pm

Eahland wrote:Why the hell does a telecommunications company even have passport and driver's license info?

Big Brother but capitalist
Signatures are the obnoxious car bumper stickers of the internet. Also, Rojava did nothing right.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:16 pm

Eahland wrote:Why the hell does a telecommunications company even have passport and driver's license info?

Probably you need that information when creating an account. Not sure if it's true, but from what I've heard, it goes back to the days of the Bali bombings, a massive terrorist attack in Indonesia killing thousands of Australians, where the bombers used untraceable phones hidden behind anonymity, so now every phone number has to be able to be traced back to the owner. A better question is why did they hang on to the data after creating an account?
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Mathuvan Union
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Mathuvan Union » Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:31 am

In short summary, from what I’ve understood from SBS and the ABC, the data was collected as part of verification by Optus when creating an account, which once served its purpose (ie verified stuff) has to be destroyed according to the law. Optus then did some test thing in their cybersecurity which some bloke just waltzed in on and stole all of the data.
Basically, Optus where quite naughty and now everyone has to buy a new passport and get new license plates.
Behind the free market lies the iron fist of the state - the one thing I learned from The Blaatschapen, excluding how to say sheep in dutch.
Update: apparently it’s bleating sheep.

James_xenoland
Diplomat

Founded: May 31, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby James_xenoland » Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:15 am

And some people still pretend like ideas to force real ID use and archiving online and on social media, isn't a disaster waiting to happen. (well like it isn't a bigger one than it already is by default) The most insane idea is to force CC or ID use for certain types of online content. Insanity!
One either fights for something, or falls for nothing.
One either stands for something, or falls for anything.

---
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."

---
Rikese wrote:From a 14 year old saying that children should vote, to a wankfest about whether or not God exists. Good job, you have all achieved new benchmarks in stupidity.

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:31 am

So what was the security like at Optus? Because if it was shoddy, then heads should roll. But if it was actually good, then we definitely have a serious hacker on our hands, who could be a danger to others in the cyberspace.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:56 pm

Chan Island wrote:So what was the security like at Optus? Because if it was shoddy, then heads should roll. But if it was actually good, then we definitely have a serious hacker on our hands, who could be a danger to others in the cyberspace.

The hacker asked for a laughably measly $1,000,000 and gave up the whole operation because the heat was on. I don't know for sure, but that screams armature hour to me

Fractalnavel
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 04, 2005
Anarchy

Postby Fractalnavel » Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:13 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:... armature hour ...

dammit, i got nothin'...

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:50 pm

Fractalnavel wrote:

dammit, i got nothin'...

Naur thas jus how they spell it down ver luv
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

Eahland
Senator

Founded: Apr 18, 2006
Libertarian Police State

Postby Eahland » Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:52 pm

Fractalnavel wrote:

dammit, i got nothin'...

It was a frame job.
Eahlisc Wordboc (Glossary)
Eahlisc Healþambiht segþ: NE DRENCE, EÐA, OÞÞE ONDO BLÆCE!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General