NATION

PASSWORD

[FROZEN] Repeal GA#621 "Rights for Crime Victims Act"

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

[FROZEN] Repeal GA#621 "Rights for Crime Victims Act"

Postby Tinhampton » Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:07 am

Character count: 507
Word count: 89
ICly by Alexander Smith, Tinhamptonian Delegate-Ambassador to the World Assembly.
OOC: I found this flaw by myself around seven hours into voting, during a discussion on NSWA Discord about the flaws of RCVA. Other people have identified other flaws and - should the at-vote thing pass on the 17th - I'd have no problems whatsoever with them putting up their own repeals.
Repeal "Rights for Crime Victims Act"
A resolution to repeal previously passed legislation.
Category: Repeal
Target: GA#621
Proposed by: Tinhampton

General Assembly Resolution #621 “Rights for Crime Victims Act” (Category: Civil Rights; Strength: Significant) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

Noting that GA#621 grants crime victims "the right to seek compensation from the convicted for any damages suffered as a result of the crime," but defines "the convicted" as "a person who has been convicted of a crime after being accused of it," and

Concerned that victims may thus seek damages from anyone who has ever been convicted of any crime, even if that victim was unharmed by it, an injustice that cries out for repeal...

The General Assembly hereby repeals GA#621 "Rights for Crime Victims Act."
Last edited by Tinhampton on Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Daarwyrth
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:12 am

Princess Madelyne Zylkoven, WA Representative of Daarwyrth: "Support in principle, but our delegation hopes the final repeal proposal draft will contain more arguments against the proposal currently at vote.

Of course, it is our hope that a repeal won't be necessary and that the proposal will be voted down in earnest."
The Royal State of Daarwyrth
Forest's Minister of Foreign Affairs

Leader: Queen Demi Maria I | Capital: Daarsted | Current year: 2022 CE
  • Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male
  • Dutch with Polish roots
  • English literature major
  • Ex-religious gay leftist

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:13 am

Support if Tepertopia is coauthor
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

Roylaii
Attaché

Founded: Jun 11, 2019
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Roylaii » Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:16 am

Full support.
Πογερς

Anne of Cleves in TNP
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 12, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Anne of Cleves in TNP » Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:49 am

“Support in principle. However, the current argument of the repeal is wholly unrealistic and would never occur under the minds of any sensible crime victim. This scenario would only occur in the case of crime victims who themselves are morally evil/mentally insane/wholeheartedly wish to be filthy rich and know WA law very well. There’s probably less than a 20% chance or so that those two conditions are true. The current point does expose the vagueness of the definition, but nevertheless sets up an unrealistic scenario. Furthermore, I agree with Princess Madelyne that the repeal would be even stronger if it had more arguments. Not over 10 arguments need to be added, but just a moderate amount of additional arguments would suffice; maybe 2-3 more arguments should be added in.”
-Ms. Charlotte Schafer, WA Ambassador for the Clevesian Empire
Last edited by Anne of Cleves in TNP on Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
IC Name: The Clevesian Empire
Capital: New Cleves
Leader: Empress Anne of Cleves III
Failed WA Proposals: “Repeal: Comfortable Pillows for All Protocol”
IC WA Minister: Lady Charlotte Schafer
“This is the part where you run from your proposal.”

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:52 am

Smith: Not even I can think of ten arguments against this! With that said, if it does look like making it through with more than... thirty-five votes to spare, I'll have a look at the other arguments that have been chucked about. If it doesn't, I'll talk to Paul about his alleged replacement.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Lile Ulie Islands
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 09, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Lile Ulie Islands » Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:38 am

“I, on behalf of The Lile Ulie Islands, extend my full support to the proposed resolution above.”

- Jill Hanabusa
WA Ambassador

The Orwell Society
Minister

Founded: Apr 16, 2022
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Orwell Society » Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:28 am

No opposition from me, in principle at least. The argument needs to turn into arguments to garner my full support, as while relatively strong the argument is, it falls short in opinion due to the lack of supporting and alternate points.
The Orwell Society
Straight Male | Political Alignment: Centrist leaning conservative | NSGP Alignment: Independent | Proud Wellspringer, join The Wellspring today!

A vision without action is just a daydream

Magecastle Embassy Building A5
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 03, 2022
Corporate Police State

Postby Magecastle Embassy Building A5 » Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:23 pm

"Support, though I don't see the passage of the at vote as likely at the moment."
WA authorship.
Wallenburg wrote:If you get a Nobel Prize for the time machine because you wanted to win an argument on the Internet, try to remember the little people who started you on that way.
Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:Our research and user feedback found different use cases of bullets, such as hunting, national defense, and murder. Typically, most bullets fired do not kill people. However, sometimes they do. We found that nearly 100% of users were not impacted by shooting one random user every 30 days, reducing the likelihood of a negative impact on the average user.
Comfed wrote:When I look around me at the state of real life politics, with culture war arguments over abortion and LGBT rights, and then I look at the WA and see the same debates about cannibalism, I have hope for the world.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly