NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Multinational Defence Pacts

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Daarwyrth
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Multinational Defence Pacts

Postby Daarwyrth » Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:58 am

OOC: After a discussion in the WA Discord server, I thought I'd try my hand at a draft that enables the members of the WA to have a military defence alliance, but without involvement from the WA as per GAR #2 "Rights And Duties Of WA States". I have done my best to manoeuvre through the openings I think I saw within GAR #2, but please let me know if this is a shared sentiment. Also, I think International Security was the appropriate category, but please tell me if I am mistaken and the sample applies for the strength. I am by no means hard pressed to bring this draft to a submission, so if it won't work, then it won't work. Candor is appreciated.

Multinational Defence Pacts
Category: International Security | Strength: Mild

Aware that GAR #2 "Rights and Duties of WA States" grants permission to the members of this honourable assembly of nations to form a military collective amongst themselves for the purpose of self-defence; and

Convinced that such a multinational approach to defence against aggression from external parties would incentivize membership of this august body, and thus bring more states into its international embrace:

The World Assembly hereby:

1. Defines for the purposes of this resolution:

1. A 'defence pact' as a lasting good-faith agreement to form and maintain a military alliance of which the signatories vow to lend military aid and support to one another exclusively in the defence against armed aggression from an external force;

2. An 'external force' as any state or collective thereof, or any entity led by a state or group thereof that is not a part of a member state's defence pact;

2. Requires all member states to form a defence pact with at least one other member nation;

3. Clarifies that nothing in Clause 2 prevents a member nation from including a non-member state into a defence pact, or from forming one with such;

4. Further clarifies that nothing in Clause 2 prevents existing defence pacts (or any existing agreement meant as one) from counting as a fulfilment of the mandates of this resolution;

5. Forbids any defence pact from acting under the banner of the WA during any of its operations;

6. Declares that the WA will not participate in any defence pact, or its command, organisation, or operation.
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:08 am, edited 10 times in total.
The Royal State of Daarwyrth
Forest's Minister of Foreign Affairs

Leader: Queen Demi Maria I | Capital: Daarsted | Current year: 2022 CE
  • Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male
  • Dutch with Polish roots
  • English literature major
  • Ex-religious gay leftist

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:59 am

DRAFT 1:
Multinational Defence Act
Category: International Security | Strength: Mild

Let it be known that this august body as the international entity itself will not participate in any military action, or any equivalent thereof, and will not engage in the command, organisation or establishment of any military force or otherwise; yet

To incentivize membership of this honourable assembly of nations by the promise of a mutual and multinational defence against foreign aggression, through the arms and hands of its member nations;

The World Assembly enacts as follows:

1. For the purposes of this resolution, these terms shall be understood in the following manner:

1. An 'external force' as any non-member nation or collective of such, or any entity led by a non-member nation or group of such;

2. A 'defence pact' as a military alliance of which the signatories vow to lend military aid and support to one another exclusively in the defence against armed aggression from an external force;

2. All member nations are required to be a party to a multinational defence pact, where simultaneously membership of the WA is a requirement for entry into such, barring any limitations set forth by this resolution;

3. Member states must give shape to a defence pact formed under Clause 2 amongst themselves, as well as to its hierarchy, structure, rules, duties, responsibilities and competencies, with no involvement from the WA;

4. Any member nation that is found to be non-compliant with any of the WA's laws by the Independent Adjudicative Office (IAO) cannot be a party to a defence pact formed under Clause 2 or enjoy its protection for the duration of that nation's state of non-compliance;

5. No defence pact formed under Clause 2 shall be commanded, organised or ratified by the WA, nor shall this international organisation participate in it in any form;

6. No action, military or otherwise, by a defence pact formed under Clause 2 may be performed under the WA banner, or claim to have this organisation's approval, endorsement or support.
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:23 am, edited 3 times in total.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

West Barack and East Obama
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2022
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby West Barack and East Obama » Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:02 am

Dr Justin Obama, Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs: There must be a provision exempting noncompliant nations from protection. We will strongly oppose hamstringing military efforts to protect rogue states defending against their just deserts.
Sonnel is the place.

6x Issues Author | Political Figures | Sports Stuff

██████████

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:05 am

West Barack and East Obama wrote:Dr Justin Obama, Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs: There must be a provision exempting noncompliant nations from protection. We will strongly oppose hamstringing military efforts to protect rogue states defending against their just deserts.

Princess Madelyne Zylkoven, WA Representative of Daarwyrth: "An excellent suggestion, my dear Ambassador. I will ensure such will be included in the next iteration of this proposal draft."
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

New order of Equus
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 22, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby New order of Equus » Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:07 am

"Simply put. This proposal does not seem duable to enforce." -Harsh leader Veronica Feizao McClure
We will strongly oppose hamstringing military efforts to protect rogue states defending against their just deserts
"There is no such thing as a 'rogue states'. There are just states." -Second triumvir Terri Lang Brancati

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:09 am

New order of Equus wrote:"Simply put. This proposal does not seem duable to enforce." -Harsh leader Veronica Feizao McClure
We will strongly oppose hamstringing military efforts to protect rogue states defending against their just deserts
"There is no such thing as a 'rogue states'. There are just states." -Second triumvir Terri Lang Brancati

Zylkoven: "If I may ask, how so? I could see the inclusion of a clause that says "enforcement of the establishment of a defence pact under Clause 2 is the responsibility of the member nations" as a possible solution."
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:11 am, edited 3 times in total.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:21 am

"What problem does this solve?"
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:23 am

Bananaistan wrote:"What problem does this solve?"

Zylkoven: "It is meant to create an incentive for nations to join the World Assembly. By joining it, they join the defence pact and can thus enjoy protection against external aggressors. In other words, it's not so much solving a problem, as creating an incentive."

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:24 am

Better idea:
Whereas GAR #2 "Rights and Duties of WA States" permits members to unite in order to defend themselves; and

Convinced that every member should be allowed to share in the fruits of security and prosperity:

The World Assembly hereby requires all member states to reach and thereafter maintain a good-faith agreement with at least one other member state by which the members party to that agreement vow to lend military aid and support to one another exclusively in the defence against armed aggression from an external force.

(ICly, blame Paul Montenegro.)
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:26 am

Tinhampton wrote:Better idea:
Whereas GAR #2 "Rights and Duties of WA States" permits members to unite in order to defend themselves; and

Convinced that every member should be allowed to share in the fruits of security and prosperity:

The World Assembly hereby requires all member states to reach and thereafter maintain a good-faith agreement with at least one other member state by which the members party to that agreement vow to lend military aid and support to one another exclusively in the defence against armed aggression from an external force.

(ICly, blame Paul Montenegro.)

Zylkoven: "We will not stand in the way of the Tinhamptonian delegation from proposing the above as their own proposal draft, with our full endorsement and support."
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:28 am

OOC: With a push in the right direction from Tinhampton and Bananaistan, I have formulated a new draft that I think will work better than what I previously proposed.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Heidgaudr
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 25, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Heidgaudr » Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:07 am

"I'm still struggling to see how this is at all necessary. Why must all nations have a defensive pact? Furthermore, if you're going to propose that all nations do, at least have the courtesy to help facilitate it. After all, nations can't just immediately comply with this as pacts are agreements between multiple nations. Some sugar would make the bitter medicine go down easier."
IC comments are from Amb. Asgeir Trelstad unless otherwise stated.
Factbooks: WA Staff | WA Agenda | Government | Religion | Demographics
Resolutions authored: GA#629, GA#638, GA#650

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:11 am

Heidgaudr wrote:"I'm still struggling to see how this is at all necessary. Why must all nations have a defensive pact? Furthermore, if you're going to propose that all nations do, at least have the courtesy to help facilitate it. After all, nations can't just immediately comply with this as pacts are agreements between multiple nations. Some sugar would make the bitter medicine go down easier."

Zylkoven: "As to the 'why?', the simple answer is increased security from external threats. A nation with a defence pact will stand stronger when support by allies they can trust to come to their aid should an armed force assault them. Another answer is that our delegation believes it would create an incentive to join the World Assembly, or to at least work together with it and thus open closer relations between itself and this international organisation."

"What would you suggest as the sugar to help the proverbial bitter medicine go down easier, Ambassador? Yet, do keep in mind that GAR #2 restricts the WA from participating in any military operation or lend its aid to it."
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Heidgaudr
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Heidgaudr » Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:25 am

Daarwyrth wrote:
Heidgaudr wrote:"I'm still struggling to see how this is at all necessary. Why must all nations have a defensive pact? Furthermore, if you're going to propose that all nations do, at least have the courtesy to help facilitate it. After all, nations can't just immediately comply with this as pacts are agreements between multiple nations. Some sugar would make the bitter medicine go down easier."

Zylkoven: "As to the 'why?', the simple answer is increased security from external threats. A nation with a defence pact will stand stronger when support by allies they can trust to come to their aid should an armed force assault them. Another answer is that our delegation believes it would create an incentive to join the World Assembly, or to at least work together with it and thus open closer relations between itself and this international organisation."

"What would you suggest as the sugar to help the proverbial bitter medicine go down easier, Ambassador? Yet, do keep in mind that GAR #2 restricts the WA from participating in any military operation or lend its aid to it."

"If you want to incentivize joining the World Assembly, then actually give the World Assembly something they can help with. As it is currently written, this proposal just introduces more hoops to jump through while not providing any help at all. There is absolutely no incentive to join whatsoever. That's what I'm talking about with the sugar. Give the World Assembly some power to help member nations find treaty partners or hire officials to assist in the negotiating and drafting of these treaties. The sky's the limit."
Last edited by Heidgaudr on Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:01 am

Heidgaudr wrote:
Daarwyrth wrote:

"If you want to incentivize joining the World Assembly, then actually give the World Assembly something they can help with. As it is currently written, this proposal just introduces more hoops to jump through while not providing any help at all. There is absolutely no incentive to join whatsoever. That's what I'm talking about with the sugar. Give the World Assembly some power to help member nations find treaty partners or hire officials to assist in the negotiating and drafting of these treaties. The sky's the limit."

Zylkoven: "While I find myself in agreement with your statements and would gladly include them, I am left to wonder whether that wouldn't breach the articles of GAR #2. For example, would the WA helping member nations to find defence pact partners and them hiring officials to draft up the treaties be construed as the WA helping in the organisation of military alliances? Because if that is the case, that would be a breach of Article 10 of GAR #2, which states the following:

Whilst WA Member States may engage in wars, the World Assembly as a body maintains neutrality in matters of civil and international strife. As such, the WA will not engage in commanding, organising, ratifying, denouncing, or otherwise participating in armed conflicts, police actions, or military activities under the WA banner.

"The WA helping nations to find suitable defence pact partners isn't commanding, organising, ratifying, denouncing, or otherwise participating in armed conflicts, yet if that defence pact enters into an armed conflict after its formation, would that be construed as the WA taking part in organising it because it helped form the defence pact?"
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Comfed
Minister

Founded: Apr 09, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Comfed » Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:03 am

"So the incentive for joining the World Assembly is that member states are compelled to form a treaty? That does not seem like much of an 'incentive' to me."

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:05 am

Comfed wrote:"So the incentive for joining the World Assembly is that member states are compelled to form a treaty? That does not seem like much of an 'incentive' to me."

Zylkoven: "The intent is to create an incentive. This draft is not the final version, and thus we are open to suggestions and commentary that will help bring about a proper incentive. If you have any, Ambassador, please feel free to share them with us."
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

The Orwell Society
Minister

Founded: Apr 16, 2022
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Orwell Society » Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:14 am

Full support, flaws be damned!
The Orwell Society
Straight Male | Political Alignment: Centrist leaning conservative | NSGP Alignment: Independent | Proud Wellspringer, join The Wellspring today!

A vision without action is just a daydream

Heidgaudr
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Heidgaudr » Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:19 am

Daarwyrth wrote:
Heidgaudr wrote:"If you want to incentivize joining the World Assembly, then actually give the World Assembly something they can help with. As it is currently written, this proposal just introduces more hoops to jump through while not providing any help at all. There is absolutely no incentive to join whatsoever. That's what I'm talking about with the sugar. Give the World Assembly some power to help member nations find treaty partners or hire officials to assist in the negotiating and drafting of these treaties. The sky's the limit."

Zylkoven: "While I find myself in agreement with your statements and would gladly include them, I am left to wonder whether that wouldn't breach the articles of GAR #2. For example, would the WA helping member nations to find defence pact partners and them hiring officials to draft up the treaties be construed as the WA helping in the organisation of military alliances? Because if that is the case, that would be a breach of Article 10 of GAR #2, which states the following:

Whilst WA Member States may engage in wars, the World Assembly as a body maintains neutrality in matters of civil and international strife. As such, the WA will not engage in commanding, organising, ratifying, denouncing, or otherwise participating in armed conflicts, police actions, or military activities under the WA banner.

"The WA helping nations to find suitable defence pact partners isn't commanding, organising, ratifying, denouncing, or otherwise participating in armed conflicts, yet if that defence pact enters into an armed conflict after its formation, would that be construed as the WA taking part in organising it because it helped form the defence pact?"

"The way I read GAR#2, no. I don't believe assisting in diplomacy could ever be construed as military activities. When read in context, it implies the World Assembly taking a much more active role - boots on the ground and the like."

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:21 am

Zylkoven: "With a possible repeal of GAR #2 on the horizon, our delegation has decided to put the drafting process on this project on hold."
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Advertisement

Remove ads