NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Repeal: Protections During Territorial Transitions

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Toonela
Attaché

Founded: Sep 16, 2020
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Repeal: Protections During Territorial Transitions

Postby Toonela » Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:30 pm

It certainly looks like a resolution I have little love for is on track to pass, so I’m beginning work on this.

This is a first draft, my first for the GA ever to be posted publicly now that I think about it, and there’s at least a couple of places I already know I’ll need to clean up the phrasing and tighten some screws, but I’m too tired to be fussing with it from mobile tonight. I’m also in no rush with it, being rather busy, so it may sit here a while. All the better to gather feedback from my peers, improve it, and add some roleplaying flavor to this post in the future though!

The General Assembly,

Bearing in mind the laudable intentions of GAR#620, "“Protections During Territorial Transitions”, with regards to protecting those left vulnerable by some forms of territorial transference between member states and,

Aware that this body should not refrain from future commitments to addressing many of the pertinent issues therein,

Nonetheless identifies a number of flaws with the aforementioned resolution which render it ineffectual and burdensome upon member states, such as:

• The broad exception in the resolution’s second clause, which plausibly allows for inhabitants taking on representative or otherwise privileged roles within a community to obstruct others access to information on jurisdictional changes.
  • A lack of a rigorous, impartial compliance mechanism in the resolution’s fifth clause, via which any member state may feasibly claim for themselves to be overwhelmed under certain conditions, allowing for the shirking of the resolution’s third and fourth clauses without providing “other suitable, temporary measures” of any meaningful definition.
  • The malignant phrasing of the seventh clause of the resolution, which mandates that member states must either transfer any and all “rights, privileges, and duties” held by an affected inhabitant in the ceding state to the newly formed territoriality of the receiving state or, in the event the receiving state does not have such roles within their society, provide a “close equivalent”, even if a close equivalent to a role beholden to the rights, privileges, and duties of the ceding state’s inhabitants would be utterly alien to the receiving state; this goes so far as to undermine the resolution’s own ninth clause’s goal of fair acclimatization.
  • An inability on the part of the resolution’s twelfth clause to become operable upon non-member states, as among the provisions of the resolution which must be provided for are the definitions of the resolution’s first clause, which categorically exclude non-member states.

Hereby repeals General Assembly Resolution #620, "Protections During Territorial Transitions".

Any and all feedback is appreciated and welcome. Cheers!

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:45 pm

The broad exception in the resolution’s second clause, which plausibly allows for inhabitants taking on representative or otherwise privileged roles within a community to obstruct others access to information on jurisdictional changes.

How?
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

Magecastle Embassy Building A5
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 03, 2022
Corporate Police State

Postby Magecastle Embassy Building A5 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:49 pm

Toonela wrote:The broad exception in the resolution’s second clause, which plausibly allows for inhabitants taking on representative or otherwise privileged roles within a community to obstruct others access to information on jurisdictional changes.

"How does it do this, ambassador?"

A lack of a rigorous, impartial compliance mechanism in the resolution’s fifth clause, via which any member state may feasibly claim for themselves to be overwhelmed under certain conditions, allowing for the shirking of the resolution’s third and fourth clauses without providing “other suitable, temporary measures” of any meaningful definition.

"Agreed here."

The malignant phrasing of the seventh clause of the resolution, which mandates that member states must either transfer any and all “rights, privileges, and duties” held by an affected inhabitant in the ceding state to the newly formed territoriality of the receiving state or, in the event the receiving state does not have such roles within their society, provide a “close equivalent”, even if a close equivalent to a role beholden to the rights, privileges, and duties of the ceding state’s inhabitants would be utterly alien to the receiving state; this goes so far as to undermine the resolution’s own ninth clause’s goal of fair acclimatization.

"Why is this a problem?"

An inability on the part of the resolution’s twelfth clause to become operable upon non-member states, as among the provisions of the resolution which must be provided for are the definitions of the resolution’s first clause, which categorically exclude non-member states.

"I concur here, but it may be helpful to clarify why not affecting non-member nations is a problem -- it may not be immediately obvious."
Last edited by Magecastle Embassy Building A5 on Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WA authorship.
Wallenburg wrote:If you get a Nobel Prize for the time machine because you wanted to win an argument on the Internet, try to remember the little people who started you on that way.
Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:Our research and user feedback found different use cases of bullets, such as hunting, national defense, and murder. Typically, most bullets fired do not kill people. However, sometimes they do. We found that nearly 100% of users were not impacted by shooting one random user every 30 days, reducing the likelihood of a negative impact on the average user.
Comfed wrote:When I look around me at the state of real life politics, with culture war arguments over abortion and LGBT rights, and then I look at the WA and see the same debates about cannibalism, I have hope for the world.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:00 pm

The broad exception in the resolution’s second clause, which plausibly allows for inhabitants taking on representative or otherwise privileged roles within a community to obstruct others access to information on jurisdictional changes.

I don't think this claim is true. It shouldn't be a large problem, just omit it.

Formatting. 1. In the second paragraph, you have an extraneous quotation mark. Also, don't use smart quotes in formatting; the dumb quotes format better sometimes because of NS's bad character encoding. 2. Use alphabetical lists instead of bullets. 3. Abbreviate your "seventh clause" stuff just to "section 7". Or, if you are still not clear, "target section 7".

As to claim (b), we have the WACC and the Administrative Compliance Act. You could get away with saying that the target resolution creates no such compliance mechanism, but it is probably more strategic simply to point out that "other suitable, temporary measures" is undefined and that there are no standards for judging when a member state is actually "overwhelmed". Mere difficulty is not "overwhelmed". Yet, sometimes mere difficulty can make something impossible.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Daarwyrth
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:26 pm

Princess Madelyne Zylkoven, WA Representative of Daarwyrth: "Our delegation would like to inform you that a replacement proposal is currently in its drafting stage, should you wish to mention it or include it as an addendum to your repeal endeavour."

The malignant phrasing of the seventh clause of the resolution

Madelyne raises an eyebrow, while a gentle and polite smile rests on her lips. "Malignant, Ambassador? Just to ensure we're on the same page, you are aware that 'malignant' means 'having a strong wish to do harm'? I can assure you that there was neither a conscious or unconscious wish to do harm when out delegation wrote that clause. What we intended was to ensure that affected inhabitants wouldn't lose rights or privileges as a result of a transition. An automatic conversion of rights for rights was even suggested to us by a senior and well-respected delegation of this assembly."

The princess lowers her eyebrow and continues to look at Toonela's ambassador politely. "Could our delegation have developed a better phrasing of the clause? Yes, and we hope that is now reflected in the replacement proposal should your repeal come to pass. Thus, may I suggest 'unfortunate' instead of 'malignant', my dear Ambassador? Because as the authoring delegation I can plainly state there was no strong wish to do harm with this clause."
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
The Royal State of Daarwyrth
Forest's Minister of Foreign Affairs

Leader: Queen Demi Maria I | Capital: Daarsted | Current year: 2022 CE
  • Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male
  • Dutch with Polish roots
  • English literature major
  • Ex-religious gay leftist

Return to General Assembly