NATION

PASSWORD

The Naaka Conference (IC|Meillur Only)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Patuania
Envoy

Founded: May 13, 2021
Ex-Nation

The Naaka Conference (IC|Meillur Only)

Postby Patuania » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:07 am

Naaka, Mairantas

Paras Kanatus stepped off the boat that had rowed him across the Naaka River onto the Mairantese holding of the same name, his eyes cold as ice as he stepped onto the shore. The Paras of Patuania was a man who had a long history of attending conferences and finding them ending in disaster. He had been hesitant, even determined to not suffer through another following King Vaekar's many, many entreaties to come to a diplomatic solution. But Kanatus had come to the conclusion that perhaps Vaekar was more right than he realized. So the Paras had agreed, hurrying across the commonwealth in order to arrive on the very border that was of such contention and concern. Speed had been a key point and vital instrument in Kanatus' plan, aided by the fact that he had been gathering large numbers of military personnel along his western border, officially for the sake of military exercises. Kanatus liked to think of it as... traveling with a few tens of thousands of his closest friends.

Not that they near Naaka, as he'd ordered them elsewhere while he attended the conference. Kanatus wished to keep the focus on a process of diplomacy and cooperation. An appearance that was admittedly not aided by the Paras and his aggressive attitude. A tall muscular red head man in his late thirties, the Paras had been at the helm of the Patuania for almost ten years, successfully steering the nation through an unprecedented era of stability and improvement, at least by Patuanian standards. The Paras, rather than a suit or even the military uniform he was typically seen in, wore combat boots, gray and green camouflage gear, and new tactical gray body armored created from aluminium woven into nylon, on his arms, shoulders, and chest. The Paras had approved of the body armor, finding them lighter, though different aluminion alloys were still being tested in order to protect against larger rounds of bullets.

The Paras marched forward, like a man on a mission, eager to get this conference over with.
Last edited by Patuania on Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mairantas
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 07, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Mairantas » Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:08 pm

King Vaekar had been surprised that Paras Kanatus had selected Naaka to meet in order to settle the disputes between him and the King of Seoya. Largely because it was in Mairantas, though neither the capital nor the major port city of Imeyeon. But King Vaekar always liked to look on the bright side. He could see the benefits of the location, nestled between Seoya and Patuania, a position that was precisely the reason that he and his government had been trying to prevent any sort of conflict between them, for fear of getting caught in the middle of such a war. Prime Minister Taeyin himself had only a few months left in his term as premier of the nation, and was eager to end it on a good note, as such he encouraged the young king's natural pacifist attitudes so that no one rocked the boat.

Which was exactly what Vaekar intended to do. He imagined him getting the cognomen of 'the peacemaker', known internationally for brokering peace and saving the entire region from a devastating war. Of course, King Vaekar had never hosted a peace conference before, so he had brought his uncle, Prince Daeron, with him in order to act as a counterbalance. He had selected a small but stately home that he'd commandeered in order to host the talks between the two rivaling autocrats. Naaka was a small swampy town, perched precariously on the banks of the river, the small wooden buildings set atop raised wooden and stone platforms above the watery reeds and weeds.

"Paras Kanatus," King Vaekar said with a bright smile as he hurried over to approach the man, a team of news reporters along with Prince Daeron following suit to capture the historic meeting. "I'm so glad to have you here. Allow me to introduce myself, I'm King Vaekar. I formally welcome you to Mairantas," he said, shaking the Paras' hand vigorously. Vaekar was a short young man dressed in a green and gold attire with white pants and gloves. He smiled brightly as he turned to have the cameras snap photos of him and the Paras.

"I am so glad that you agreed to have this conference, I am certain that together we can all come to a suitable compromise that shall see us having long term peace."
Vaekar gesture to Prince Daeron, an older man dressed in a green and gold military ceremonial uniform who leaned on a cane due to an old leg injury. He gave the Paras a polite nod.

"An honor Your Excellency," said Daeron.

"Please, follow me, let me show you the conference room," Vaekar said, gesture for him to walk with him. Once King Hojin arrives, we can get into discussing matters in more depth." Vaekar lead Paras Kanatus away from the water and down the short walk way to the house hold, a squat bright light blue structure, lined with a few Mairantese guards, the reporters following just out of ear shot. Inside the conference room was a small pleasant space. King Vaekar had spent a great deal of time considering the seating of the conference table seating. He was quite proud of himself.

Marchland
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 04, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Marchland » Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:10 pm

Marchland Agent sitting nearby with a cup of coffe and newspaper....
Last edited by Marchland on Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Patuania
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Patuania » Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:02 pm

Paras Kanatus looked down at King Vaekar with surprise. He hadn't been sure what he had expected. This wasn't it. But he could work with it. He shook the king's hand, his grip firm and his cold gaze suddenly replaced with a picture-perfect smile. He had not maintained his position as paras without knowing how to put on a good show for the public. In a way, was not what the whole purpose of this conference? Kanatus maintained his smile as they walked, though it didn't quite reach his eyes as they made their way to the building.

"Of course," Kanatus said, "It was quite nice for you to invite me. I of all people understand the importance of a good round of diplomatic talks. I look forward to settling everything and thank you for the opportunity that you have presented... the world. With an arbitrator like you, I believe that everything shall work out quite favorably once Hojin arrives." Kanatus spoke as he made his way over to one of the chairs, gripping it tightly as he smiled down at Vaekar. "though if you would not mind, Your Majesty, I would love to speak with you on a matter regarding relations between our nations before we get into any official business."

Marchland wrote:Marchland Agent sitting nearby with a cup of coffe and newspaper....

OOC: Ignore

Mairantas
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Mairantas » Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:50 pm

King Vaekar smiled, taking the seat next to the Paras. He had thought it important to serve as a buffer between Kanatus and Hojin, it was both metaphorical as well as literal, both in person and geographically. He was pleased with how amenable to peace and cooperation that Paras Kanatus was proving. He was starting to believe that rumors that he had heard, from the Paras' enemies and allies alike, were quite exaggerated if not indeed an outright untruth.

"Of course," Vaekar said, "I would love to, and please, call me Vaekar. Naturally my government is already looking to establish a formal embassy from Mairantas in your capital." Vaekar cleared his throat, not wishing have to say the name of the city. Patuanian words were all but impossible to pronounce, and that included the capital of Sior- Siores- Siorostasser, or something like that. "And an Patuanian embassy in Mainjin would be welcomed."

Patuania
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Patuania » Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:35 pm

Kanatus nodded his head in agreement to the king’s suggestion in regards to the exchange of embassies. Patuania and it’s capital of Sioratassuar boasted few embassies. For some reason not many officials were particularly eager to live in icy Patuania.

“That sounds like an excellent idea Vaekar. Appointing an ambassador to your realm shall be placed at the top of my list of things to accomplish once I return home. And, of course as arbitrator I greatly value you and Mairantas’ sense of neutrality in these matters.”

Mairantas
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Mairantas » Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:45 pm

“That is great to hear.” King Vaekar chuckled. “Well certainly. It wouldn’t be very fair and balanced of me as an arbitrator if I were biased one way or another towards you or King Hojin. And we in Mairantas see ourselves as the resulted of generations of integration and mixture from both Patuanian and Seoyese peoples, so it only makes sense that we would like to see you both get along, does it not?”

Patuania
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Patuania » Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:18 pm

“Indeed it does,” said Kanatus. He put his hands on the table, interlocking his fingers togethers. “Though of course there are those who would like to see your neutrality tainted, or perhaps even worse, impose their own will against your better interests. I would absolutely hate to see that happen. In fact I would like to offer up the protection of the Patuania, should the sovereignty or neutrality of Mairantas ever be threaten.”

Mairantas
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Mairantas » Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:49 pm

King Vaekar’s eyes widened. He had never really thought of a pressing threat of someone or some other force attempting to negatively influence him or his country. The Paras had a good point in that regard. Behind Vaekar, settling in along the wall of the room, Prince Daeron leaned on his cane, watching the two leaders.

“I.” Vaekar cleared his throat. “I believe that would be great.”

Patuania
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Patuania » Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:30 pm

“Excellent!” Said Kanatus, his own excitement peaking through at the ease at which he seemed to have convinced the King of Mairantas. It was after all a good deal. Mairantas wouldn’t have to worry about any nation picking a fight with them, for there was bound to be fear with dealing with the likes of the Patuanian military.

“Your nation’s neutrality and position of equal and level headed outside observation, which is no doubt in large part thanks your your own diplomatic skills, is a rare and vital resource in our region of the world. Preserving that is a good cause for the entirety of not only your people, but all our people, wouldn’t you agree?”

Mairantas
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Mairantas » Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:47 pm

Vaekar put a finger to his lip. He had never thought of it like that. But then, was Kanatus wrong? Was it not because of him that they had gotten here, when everyone else had thought that such a conference was something that was futile? He had been the one to push for peace, and here they were keeping the peace. Vaekar smiled at that.

“I couldn’t agree more. You and I, I think are going to be fast friends.”

Patuania
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Patuania » Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:15 pm

“I think so as well,” said Kanatus, nodding along with Vaekar. “In fact I think, as a friend, you could indeed really help me with something that I’m afraid that my government has had the misfortune of dealing with for quite some time. Indeed that is why I wished to meet here in Naaka.”

Kanatus gestured around him to the building and presumably to the town beyond that they were in.

“As you surely know, the Naaka river can be quite treacherous, and there are even parts of the river banks that flood quite badly when the marshes over flow. This has resulted in quite the issue in the town of Aamiuk where nearly eight thousand people have been trapped with limited food supply due to flooding, and the only land connection is through Seoya.”

Kanatus nodded his head to the side. “And as you know, that has become a nonstarter as of late. We have river boats, but they are currently tied up elsewhere. I’ve ordered them to help, but even at the fastest it will take a week to get to them. And they may not have that time. But…” Kanatus looked to Vaekar as if he were bouy tossed to a drowning man. “If Mairantas, a neutral actor, where’s to send peacekeepers and humanitarian aid to Aamiuk, you could save thousands of people, and serve as a champion of international cooperation and humanitarian efforts.”

Mairantas
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Mairantas » Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:38 pm

Vaekar’s eyes widened. “Oh.” He paused, not having meant to say that cry of exclamation out loud. He listened to Kanatus, the Paras seemingly preemptively answering several of the questions that the king had considered asking. He shifted a bit in his seat, but the last of the Paras’ words caught his attention. Him, a champion of humanitarian aid and cooperation? Now that would make for quite the press conference and the photo shoot.

Still, Vaekar hesitated. “Peacekeepers? Why do you think we would need peacekeepers?”

Patuania
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Patuania » Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:06 pm

“Only the standard issue of keeping order,” said Kanatus, batting aside the concern as if it were a moth fluttering too close to his face, “ they would nothing more than like that of a police force after all. Surely you agree that people in such dire straits as those of the civilians of Aamiuk deserve that after all that they have lost?”

Mairantas
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Mairantas » Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:24 pm

Vaekar put his finger to his lip again and then glanced over his shoulder at his uncle.

Prince Daeron had been listening to the conversation and he found Paras Kanatus’ words if nothing else, unexpected. The man was up to sonething, obviously, though his nephew seemed too happy to drink in the praise and amenable nature of the Paras to notice. Prince Daeron in this moment in which his nephew looked back at him considered his options. On the one hand, as he saw it, he could do what protective instincts told him to do, to warn Vaekar, call off these talks and return back home.

But what would this accomplished? It was surely kill any hope for peaceful solutions to any of the problems that had arisen between Seoya and Patuania. War would surely break out sooner or later and Mairantas, caught in the middle would be, at best, ridiculed for their failure, or worse, dragged in and ripped apart by the two tyrants.

Then there was option two. Nod and smile, and go along with this farce, which was most likely a trap of some sort, likely for Seoya with Mairantas as the bait. War would likely still break out, and if Kanatus lost, Vaekar’s foolishness might spell disaster. If Kanatus lost. If the Paras won on the other hand, there what benefits would their be?

And then there was a third option. By all accounts Daeron could find, Kanatus was disliked by basically everyone around him. Yet, he was a man who, time and time again was right in his core, if not in his methods. Which raised the question of what kind of man was Hojin to raise his ire so? Just because Kanatus was preparing a trap, didn’t mean they had to stay on the line. Who said they could work together? They could hedge their bets, and take a gambit. Or at least Daeron could.

“That’s sounds perfectly fine by me,” said Prince Daeron. “With a call, I can see to it that a expeditionary mission is there by the end of the day.”

Vaekar smiled and turned back to Kanatus. “Then it sounds like we have a deal.”

Patuania
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Patuania » Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:09 pm

Kanatus smiled, his cold eyes observing Prince Daeron before jumping back to King Vaekar as he announced his approval of the mission. Kanatus took Vaekar’s hand into his and shook it. “Shall we put it in writing then? In order to celebrate this first victory of the day? I can draft it up fairly quickly.

Treaty of Naaka

Treaty betwix Mairantas and Patuania, demarcating the parameters of the realm of the former and duties of the later for the sake of international and regional protection of the general good will, the people of all nations and the interests, provisions of the legitimate governments of aforementioned parties, set to protect and preserve the state of neutrality and peace established by forementioned stances of antebellum provisions.

His Majesty, the King of Mairantas and His Excellency the Paras of Patuania, being prepared, willing and able to conclude, accept, approve, and enforce the ascending and descending articles of the adopted document approved and concluded by the persons of the aforementioned figures and any and all notable plenipotentiaries this lawfully and ably appointed by them. Who, after expressing their full powers found in due form, have agreed on the following articles:

Article I
This Treaty shall be ratified, and ratifications shall be exchanged in Naaka, within three weeks, with effectiveness serving probationary service with immediate effect, or earlier if possible. The exchange of these ratifications will take place at the same time as that of the ratifications of the treaty between Mairantas and Patuania. In witness whereof the respective plenipotentiaries have signed this Treaty and stamped their weapons.

Article II
Understanding the sentiments, attitudes, understandings, and reasoning for the laws, treaties and agreements set up on the model of the Treaty of Laupset, apply, relating to the free navigation of navigable rivers, shall be applied to navigable rivers that separate or cross both Mairantas and Patuanian territory.

Article III
No one in countries that change domination can be sought or worried in any way, for any reason of direct or indirect participation in political events.

Article IV
Following the provisions of this Treaty, there will be peace and friendship between His Majesty the King of Mairantas, on the one hand, and His Excellency the Paras of Patuania, on the other, their heirs and successors, their respective states and subjects.

Article V
His Majesty the King of the Mairantas, agrees that in the realm of his jurisdiction, the boundaries of territory are as they have been previously described in official atlases approved by the central authorities, from the Western Ocean at the border of Seoya, across the plateau to the various rivers to the junction of the Seoyese and Patuanian borders in the middle of the River Naaka as well as the enclaves of the river valley, most notably the settlement of Naaka.

Article VI
Mairantas, within the limits indicated in Articles 2, 3 and 5, will form an independent and perpetually neutral State. It will be required to observe this same neutrality towards all other States. In the case, scenario, call or circumstance in which that neutrality is breached, threatened or otherwise abandoned, the defense, salvation and protection of that neutral states falls to the government of the aforementioned plenipotentiaries.

Article VII
The Plenipotentiaries of Mairantas and Patuania, by virtue of their full powers, formally accept, on behalf of their respective Courts, the said clauses, accession, independence, duties and protections due to them of Mairantas and Patuania.

Article VIII
This Act of Accession will be ratified by the Courts of Mairantas, assembly of Patuania, as well as by the personal representatives of trusted officials, persons, colleagues and or partners of the Ryang dynasty, by means of a decree of the aforementioned personal or institution, which will be sent to the necessary number of copies. And the respective acts of ratification will be exchanged in Naaka, within three weeks, from today, or earlier, if possible.

In witness whereof the respective Plenipotentiaries have signed this Act of Accession, and have affixed the stamp of their weapons to it.

Done at Naaka, on the nineteenth day of June of the year of Grace two thousand and thirty-six.

Mairantas
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Mairantas » Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:24 pm

King Vaekar looked at Kanatus and let out an impressed whistle at how quickly and skillful the Paras had drafted the treaty. At least Vaekar assumed it was skillfully. He had never drafted a treaty before and it certainly looked intense and official given the language that had been employed by the Paras. It was almost a bit confusing, but Vaekar understood it. He signed his name:

VAEKAR R.

Patuania
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Patuania » Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:37 pm

Kanatus was pleased with himself. Without further preamble he signed the document:

Kanatus Narikid

“What a great success, Vaekar,” Kanatus said, as if the idea, the proposal and the creation of the treaty had been single handedly those of the King of Mairantas.

Mairantas
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Mairantas » Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:53 pm

Vaekar stood quickly from his chair, a small part of him preening at his victory. The day was not yet over and already he had seemingly done the impossible. He held up the treaty. He gestured for the Paras to do the same.

“We should make an announcement don’t you think? A quite press conference announcing this new groundbreaking agreement between our two nations.”

Patuania
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Patuania » Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:08 pm

Kanatus smiled. He certainly had to do a lot of smiling today. It was fine. But it was annoying having to look pleased with everything. His eyes drifted past Vaekar back onto Prince Daeron. Then back to King Vaekar.

“You go one ahead, get the press ready and everything,” the Paras said with a small nonchalant wave of his hand, as if he were telling the little monarch to sit without him at an event. I’ll join you in a moment.”

His cold gaze shot back towards Daeron. He wanted to speak with the uncle.

Mairantas
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Mairantas » Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:17 pm

Vaekar nodded his head and walked outside, the sound of cameras shuttering as they snapped rapid fire pictures of the King as he prepared to announce what had just happened and the treaty that they’d signed.

“What’s your plan?” Prince Daeron said as the door closed behind his nephew. The aging man walked over to the table, but remained standing, resting a hand on the back of the chair his nephew had been seated in. “And why should I let you carry it out?”

Patuania
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Patuania » Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:26 pm

Kanatus grinned. He had always been excellent with words. Particularly the written word. In that form of communication he excelled largely because he could control the narrative, the tone, the very word choice and usage. It had translated only partially into vocal skills. He could do public speaking better than most leaders in his opinions. It was always so satisfactory or sometimes even necessary to use big, flowery words, as they often concealed key things. He found that if things were too long and complex for anyone to understand, or better yet, bother to read, one could get away with a lot.

But despite all that, there were times when it felt so good just to get to the point. And considering his time table, this was one of those moments.

“Because I am going to war with Seoya, one way or another. I have the forces, the Will and, surprisingly, the backing of the Borean League. And this way, you can stand to gain. Province if you like? Expanding the borders of Mairantas, or perhaps your own personal fief? Consider it done.” Kanatus shrugged. “On the condition that whatever happens in Aamiuk goes down badly.”

Mairantas
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Mairantas » Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:01 pm

Prince Daeron raised a shock eyebrow. How the Paras could flip so quickly like that, that was both starling and impressive. The man could mince words or not on a dime it seemed. He would have to keep that in mind.

“How badly?”

Patuania
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Patuania » Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:21 pm

Kanatus shrugged his shoulders as he considered what sort of incident would be enough to spark a conflict, one in which he would be seen as the defender.

“Bad enough for the Seoyese to shoot at you.”

Mairantas
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Mairantas » Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:32 pm

Prince Daeron pursed his lips, thinking. The offer of his own personal fief, now that was tempting. He had always played second fiddle, to his brother when he had been on the throne, and now to his nephew, who was well intentioned, but not yet really ready to wield power.

“Who says we even need the Seoyese?” Prince Daeron asked rhetorically. He could see it now, plastered across the news the continent over. An incident in Aamiuk, Seoyese troops attack peaceful Maraintese peacekeepers, a clear and present threat of their neutrality. An out break of war. A carving up of the spoils. And Prince Daeron knew just the Lieutenant who could deliver them his casus belli.

“You know, I do think my nephew was right about one thing. We are going to be great friends.”

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents