NATION

PASSWORD

NationStates Events

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Chingis
Events Manager

Founded: Apr 04, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

NationStates Events

Postby Chingis » Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:45 am

NationStates runs a number of recurring events, and we're looking to put together a "Calendar" so people can see what's happening over the next year, and when. The intention is for this to go on a dedicated Events page in the near future, but for now a forum thread is an easier way to start.

Please note that these dates/times may be subject to change in the result of unexpected events, such as unplanned admin unavailability, a moose chewing through server cables, and suchlike. Please don't plan your lives around them.

All times and dates are given in GMT.

N-DaySeptember 24th 22:00 GMT
Z-Day October 30th 22:00 GMT(time TBC)

Secretary-General Election February 4th
Best Nation in the World February 14th
N-Day February 25th 22:00 GMT
April Fools' Day April 1st
Global Trade FairWorld Fair Trade Day (this year: May 13th)
Issues ContestJune 1st - 30th
Cards Against NationStates Global GamesJuly 1st
Secretary-General Election August 5th
N-Day September 30th
Z-Day October 30th - 31st

Best Nation in the World February 14th
N-Day February 24th 22:00 GMT
April Fools' Day April 1st
Global Trade FairWorld Fair Trade Day (this year: May 11th)
Issues ContestJune 1st - 30th
N-Day September 28th
Z-Day October 30th - 31st
Last edited by Chingis on Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:45 am, edited 7 times in total.
[violet] wrote:lol
My TGs are not for Mod business

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:47 am

The formatting is pretty crap, I know. I might prettify this at some point.

I would like to link to dispatch guides to events when good, and up-to-date ones exist. If people have suggestions for ones to link to, please post them here.

As you might see, the general goal is for most events to be held starting on a Saturday at 22:00 GMT - as mentioned in this year's N-Day thread, this is "intended to maximise the amount of NSers who can be online at the start of the event, and also so that the event as much as possible runs over weekend time, when people are most likely to be avaialble."

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:49 am

If there are going to be two annual SecGen elections, can you create a special telegram category for election campaigning? Otherwise the WA scene will be dead in the dust.

Also, are the dates chosen for a specific reason or just random? (For every event) (Besides being on a Saturday)

Plus you forgot Z-Day 2023 :p Unless that's cancelled???
Last edited by Honeydewistania on Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

Sedgistan
Site Director

Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:55 am

Honeydewistania wrote:If there are going to be two annual SecGen elections, can you create a special telegram category for election campaigning? Otherwise the WA scene will be dead in the dust.

Yes, I'm aware that will be needed for repeat Sec-Gen elections.

Honeydewistania wrote:Also, are the dates chosen for a specific reason or just random? (For every event) (Besides being on a Saturday)

They aren't random, it's mainly around spacing with other events/repeats of the same event.

Honeydewistania wrote:Plus you forgot Z-Day 2023 :p Unless that's cancelled???

I only meant to add around a year in advance, rather than all of 2023... but since it's just one event, I'll add that.

Flanderlion
Minister

Founded: Nov 25, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Flanderlion » Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:23 am

I like this, and it's a good spread throughout the year.
As always, I'm representing myself.
Information
Wishlist

Klaus Devestatorie
Minister

Founded: Aug 28, 2008
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Klaus Devestatorie » Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:05 am

Has there been any consideration towards bringing on dedicated volunteer "events" staff? I'm not talking about coding new equivalents to N-Day, Z-Day, etc- more for running things similar to the issues contest where it's a case of putting the word out, setting up guidelines for how it'll work, and being present for the relevant weekend.

Reventus Koth
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 03, 2016
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Reventus Koth » Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:09 am

Will there be any changes made to the Best Nation event to attempt to filter out generic puppets such as card farms? It was pretty exhausting and unrewarding to pit Womble 2615 against Womble 8462 over and over again.
Formerly known as Ambroscus Koth, +1843 posts. Trust no one.
Xanthal wrote:Only raiders can win in this war- a defender can keep them from winning one region, one update at a time, but there will always be the next region, the next update, and the next, forever.

Den
Political Columnist

Founded: Jul 13, 2022
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Den » Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:26 am

Reventus Koth wrote:Will there be any changes made to the Best Nation event to attempt to filter out generic puppets such as card farms? It was pretty exhausting and unrewarding to pit Womble 2615 against Womble 8462 over and over again.

That's the only thing I'd support being WA only.

Riemstagrad
Ambassador

Founded: Antiquity
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Riemstagrad » Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:30 am

Just a suggestion :p

Cards Season 3: December 1 2022

Cards Season 4: December 1 2024

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:30 am

Den wrote:
Reventus Koth wrote:Will there be any changes made to the Best Nation event to attempt to filter out generic puppets such as card farms? It was pretty exhausting and unrewarding to pit Womble 2615 against Womble 8462 over and over again.

That's the only thing I'd support being WA only.

Strong against WA only best nation.

How about a feature that allows voters to filter out certain nations from their choices of voting? So I can choose to exclude all the Wombles form being viewable during the voter process, but they aren't excluded from the whole thing in general.
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:31 am

But to raise my earlier point:
Tinhampton wrote:How will the game tell the difference between Miravana 2, Miravana II, Miravana Two, and Miravana the Second?

(And what happens if I create a nation with a name like "Manchester United Supporter 2897274852" which is obviously a standalone puppet and not part of a Man United-themed puppet set? Will that still be nodded through?)
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:34 am

Tinhampton wrote:But to raise my earlier point:
Tinhampton wrote:How will the game tell the difference between Miravana 2, Miravana II, Miravana Two, and Miravana the Second?

(And what happens if I create a nation with a name like "Manchester United Supporter 2897274852" which is obviously a standalone puppet and not part of a Man United-themed puppet set? Will that still be nodded through?)

Easy(er said than done): allow users to filter out all the 'Miravana'.

RedBrickLand
Envoy

Founded: Oct 14, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby RedBrickLand » Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:35 am

Sedgistan wrote:April Fools' Day: April 1st

Aww, come on. You spoiled it.
“One day the great European War will come out of some damned foolish thing in the Balkans.”
- Otto Von Redbrick, Our glorious leader

1. Winner of Issues Contest: Lucky Seven with "Killing In The Name Of Beer"
2. Lost Half of My Bank in 36 hours
3. Defeated Mikeswill in a bidding war
gluten tag

Sedgistan
Site Director

Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:55 am

Ideally, but I cannot say when those changes would be made.

Riemstagrad wrote:Just a suggestion :p

Cards Season 3: December 1 2022

Cards Season 4: December 1 2024

I had a new cards season pencilled in for 1st December of each year, but it got vetoed, as they require a big redesign for each season - it's not just repeating an already coded event. It can be considered an internal goal, but not set in stone. Obviously part of bringing new Tech staff onboard is to increase capacity for changes in the long-term.

Novosoviet
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 12, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Novosoviet » Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:00 am

I'm Aware of What N-Day (Nuclear Death) and Z-Day are (Zombie Invasion), Can any of these events cause you to lose population?
♛The Kingdom of Novia ♛
Call My Citizens Novians
News: Intervention in Politics, Civil unrest Rises

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:08 am

Novosoviet wrote:I'm Aware of What N-Day (Nuclear Death) and Z-Day are (Zombie Invasion), Can any of these events cause you to lose population?

Only while they're in progress: Population gets re-set back to its proper levels afterwards.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Novosoviet
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 12, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Novosoviet » Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:13 am

Bears Armed wrote:
Novosoviet wrote:I'm Aware of What N-Day (Nuclear Death) and Z-Day are (Zombie Invasion), Can any of these events cause you to lose population?

Only while they're in progress: Population gets re-set back to its proper levels afterwards.

Ok Thanks!
♛The Kingdom of Novia ♛
Call My Citizens Novians
News: Intervention in Politics, Civil unrest Rises

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:22 am

Is it Sec-Gen election or SC President election? I thought the "Sec-Gen" election was to coincide with US Presidential elections.
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Sedgistan
Site Director

Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:27 am

Yes, Sec-Gen was re-run as it was another US election year, but it's not tied to that. Where the S-G plans got to last was to give the role SC powers only, hold elections 6 monthly, and rename it to something to avoid confusion with GenSec.

For the time being, I'm keeping the event name in this thread as Sec-Gen, because that's what it's been before and people know it as.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:40 am

Sedgistan wrote:Where the S-G plans got to last was to [...] rename it to something to avoid confusion with GenSec.

For the time being, I'm keeping the event name in this thread as Sec-Gen, because that's what it's been before and people know it as.

Will the office of Secretary-General still be renamed or is SecGen an interim title while attempts to brainstorm for titles that aren't President continue? :P
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Sedgistan
Site Director

Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:03 am

That's beyond what this thread is meant to handle - I don't intend for this to host extended discussion on changes to individual events. You could bump the Sec-Gen thread, but I'm not intending to work on that idea at present - I want admin to clear off some of my existing to-do list first, and to get our new Tech Mods on board for their input as well.

Makko Oko
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 20, 2018
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Makko Oko » Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:10 am

Not to derail this thread (sorry Sedgistan!) but what IS the Secretary General, who can run for it, and what do they do? I didn't see any links on the OP that I could read to find out. Regardless of what my "join date" may tell you, I'm actually newer to the NS Forums, so I'm not completely aware of everything just yet.
OBC Current News: First-Ever Anti-Terrorism Act Enacted | Emperor launches plans to expand trade | Danika Hicks Case: NOT GUILTY VERDICT! Court rules 3-2
Information:
IIWiki Factbooks
NS Factbooks

NOTE: This nation does not reflect my real beliefs in any way, shape or form

Hulldom
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 16, 2018
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Hulldom » Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:17 am

So should we take all of these listed in OP for 2023 as being ~mostly~ set in stone and ready to go or is this more a rough idea of what Admin would like things to look like?
...And I feel like I'm clinging to a cloud!

Sedgistan
Site Director

Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:21 am

Hulldom wrote:So should we take all of these listed in OP for 2023 as being ~mostly~ set in stone and ready to go or is this more a rough idea of what Admin would like things to look like?

Everything in the OP is going to happen, and should be on the dates they're listed at.

Hulldom
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 16, 2018
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Hulldom » Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:24 am

That’s amazing news! So I guess another question is, and sort of pursuant to Riemst’s post from up the thread, is there anything else that can be shared at this point regarding season 3? I know certain tidbits about it actually happening (there’s an image of Fris apparently confirming it in the cards server) have come up before, but I’m just curious if there’s anything else that can be shared on its timeline.
...And I feel like I'm clinging to a cloud!

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical