NATION

PASSWORD

1618: Alternative Divergence [AH][OOC-OPEN]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:23 pm

Khasinkonia wrote:
(Image)
Bróirich in Galáthé | Kingdom of the Gauls

#AltDiv

In addition to what we discussed on Discord, the only other potential issues that I've found are related to the army, and to be clear - they are based on my understanding of the army from reading your app, so it might be that I've misunderstood something.

The standing army of the realm is alright. Standing armies were not the norm at this point in time, but it's alright. France after all had the compagnies d'ordonnance, and later on the gendarmes.

The armies of the Kings are however a bit too much, but that depends on a few factors. The kings having their own retinues/regiments would not necessarily be an issue, like the gendarme companies, even though those were paid for by the King, who paid the magnate to raise the company. Who pays for the soldiers of these armies? The Realm provides the weapons, but who provides their wages? How large are they, in comparison to the standing army of the Realm? Because the text could also be interpreted as if each King has their own standing army that's of equal size to that of the Realm, and that's problematic. If by analogy though, each King has its own gendarme company, it might work, but even so, 2,200 lances in a gendarme company times 73 kingdoms is 160,600 - which is way too large for a standing army. So it's more likely that these groups are more like small retinues, with perhaps some of the smaller kingdoms having larger forces.

Furthermore, if each King has their own regiment, even just a regiment, how does the Realm keep their loyalty, and prevent rebellion? Who pays their wages is extremely important.

And there is no obligation to provide any numbers, but if you have a rough idea of the number of troops Gaul would have in total that would help me better imagine this - but I would really not want Gaul to be military stronger than France which was already a huge European military power at this point in time.

As for the peasants, again it's an issue of scale mostly, since I'm not sure what you're imagining. Having a reserve of free peasants who receive old weapons/can acquire their own is alright, as is them training in winter. The peasants being a problem is something that you have correctly mentioned, but if you're also teaching them war tactics, then peasant rebellions should happen a lot more often.

But their numbers would be limited. The role of peasants in agriculture would still be a lot more important than their potential as recruits. Even states that were existentially threatened and which made use of free peasants, like the Romanian principalities, only considered using some of them. There is also of course the eternal opposition of the aristocracy, which would fear the arming of peasant with war arms - and existential threats and a siege mentality can only do so much.

As for women in the military, I can concede the existence of some women among the peasants who train- I know of examples of Celtic women training and fighting in some situations, and there could be even some who fight, but accepting women in such a militia force in general is way too progressive for the era we're in.
I'm a Romanian, a vampire, an anime enthusiast and a roleplayer.
Hello there! I am Tracian Empire! You can call me Tracian, Thrace, Thracian, Thracr, Thracc or whatever you want. Really.

The V O I D
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 13, 2014
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The V O I D » Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:04 pm

Reservation

Nation Name: Austro-Bavarian Empire
Territory: Austria, Bavaria, Slovakia, Western Hungary, Slovenia, Venice/Northern Italy, Croatia.
#AltDiv (Do not delete this, it is used to keep track of the apps)

*Note: Reservations will last for 48 hours. The OP board reserves the right to be subjective in regards to accepting and removing reservations.

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:06 pm

The V O I D wrote:
Reservation

Nation Name: Austro-Bavarian Empire
Territory: Austria, Bavaria, Slovakia, Western Hungary, Slovenia, Venice/Northern Italy, Croatia.

*Note: Reservations will last for 48 hours. The OP board reserves the right to be subjective in regards to accepting and removing reservations.

reservation accepted
Hello there! I am Tracian Empire! You can call me Tracian, Thrace, Thracian, Thracr, Thracc or whatever you want. Really.

Khasinkonia
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 02, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Khasinkonia » Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:47 pm

Tracian Empire wrote:
Khasinkonia wrote:
(Image)

#AltDiv

In addition to what we discussed on Discord, the only other potential issues that I've found are related to the army, and to be clear - they are based on my understanding of the army from reading your app, so it might be that I've misunderstood something.

The standing army of the realm is alright. Standing armies were not the norm at this point in time, but it's alright. France after all had the compagnies d'ordonnance, and later on the gendarmes.

The armies of the Kings are however a bit too much, but that depends on a few factors. The kings having their own retinues/regiments would not necessarily be an issue, like the gendarme companies, even though those were paid for by the King, who paid the magnate to raise the company. Who pays for the soldiers of these armies? The Realm provides the weapons, but who provides their wages? How large are they, in comparison to the standing army of the Realm? Because the text could also be interpreted as if each King has their own standing army that's of equal size to that of the Realm, and that's problematic. If by analogy though, each King has its own gendarme company, it might work, but even so, 2,200 lances in a gendarme company times 73 kingdoms is 160,600 - which is way too large for a standing army. So it's more likely that these groups are more like small retinues, with perhaps some of the smaller kingdoms having larger forces.

Furthermore, if each King has their own regiment, even just a regiment, how does the Realm keep their loyalty, and prevent rebellion? Who pays their wages is extremely important.

And there is no obligation to provide any numbers, but if you have a rough idea of the number of troops Gaul would have in total that would help me better imagine this - but I would really not want Gaul to be military stronger than France which was already a huge European military power at this point in time.

As for the peasants, again it's an issue of scale mostly, since I'm not sure what you're imagining. Having a reserve of free peasants who receive old weapons/can acquire their own is alright, as is them training in winter. The peasants being a problem is something that you have correctly mentioned, but if you're also teaching them war tactics, then peasant rebellions should happen a lot more often.

But their numbers would be limited. The role of peasants in agriculture would still be a lot more important than their potential as recruits. Even states that were existentially threatened and which made use of free peasants, like the Romanian principalities, only considered using some of them. There is also of course the eternal opposition of the aristocracy, which would fear the arming of peasant with war arms - and existential threats and a siege mentality can only do so much.

As for women in the military, I can concede the existence of some women among the peasants who train- I know of examples of Celtic women training and fighting in some situations, and there could be even some who fight, but accepting women in such a militia force in general is way too progressive for the era we're in.

Updated my app. I think I've addressed pretty much everything. The army at its maximum would likely be around 90,000, maybe 110,000 during winters or on home territory. I'm not great with military, so I hope that's within the realm of feasibility.

The V O I D
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 13, 2014
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The V O I D » Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:11 pm

Full Nation Name: Das Österreichisch-Bayerische Reich, or in English, the Austro-Bavarian Realm, is also rendered occasionally as Das Vereinigte Königreich Österreich und Bayern, or the United Kingdom of Austria and Bavaria; Österreich-Bayern, or Austria-Bavaria, is also acceptable.
Majority/Official Culture: The Austrian and Bavarian cultures are dominant, generally leading to a German bent within the Empire; though there is significant influence from the Italian territories, particularly Venice.
Territorial Core: Austria, Bavaria, Slovakia, Western Hungary, Slovenia, Croatia, Venice/Northern Italy.
Territorial Claim: The King of Austria and Bavaria claims to be the Holy Roman Emperor, a claim legitimized by the Papacy; as a result, the Austro-Bavarian Realm exerts massive influence over the entirety of the Holy Roman Empire and the King/Emperor claims dominion over it to some degree.
Capital City: Vienna serves as the Royal Capital of Austria, as the King is from Austria first and foremost; however, Vienna only serves as the legislative capital for the Royal Council of Austria, which technically governs all of the Realm except for Bavaria. Munich serves as the capital for the National Council, the legislature that governs Bavaria for its King, who is also King of Austria and ruler of the Austro-Bavarian Realm.
Population: Approximately 15 million people live in the Austro-Bavarian Realm as a whole.

Government Type: Constitutional Dual Monarchy.
Government Ideology/Policies: Imperialist, Catholic/Pro-Papacy.
Government Focus: The Austro-Bavarian Realm places most emphasis on its ability to leverage influence within the Holy Roman Empire, whether through martial, cultural, economic, or other means; it is also quite interested in maintaining territorial integrity.
Head of State: His Royal Majesty, Ferdinand II, King of Austria and Bavaria, the Holy Roman Emperor.
Head of Government: His Highness, Francesco I de Medici, the Duke of Tuscany and President of the Royal Council serves as the head of government for the Royal Council and thus, for Austria and much of the Realm; His Excellency, Maximilian I, the Duke of Nordgau and President of the National Council serves as the head of government for the National Council and thus, for all Bavaria. Their noble titles also allow them much influence; for instance, the Duke of Tuscany rules Tuscany and Genoa, and his family has significant influence over much of the northwestern Italian provinces of the Empire. The Duke of Nordgau, on the other hand, rules northern Bavaria directly from Nuremberg, with southern Bavaria more directly administered by the King and National Council (and thus, in his position as its President, the Duke of Nordgau de facto governs Bavaria for and in the name of the King, answering only to him).
Government Description: The Abkommen der Menschen (lit. “Agreements of the People,” “People's Agreements,” “Accords of Men”) were the document upon which the Habsburg Realm established its government after conquering Bavaria in 1350; these were amended in the Bavarian Compromise of 1531 to allow substantial autonomy to the Kingdom of Bavaria compared to the other provinces and duchies of the Realm which Austria led.

Under this constitution, the United Kingdoms are proclaimed to be Roman Catholic realms that pay fealty to the Pope in all religious affairs, and proscribes the necessity of the Holy Roman Empire as a state that “coexists” with the Realm. The Royal Council is a bicameral legislature, formed by the House of Lords and the Chamber of Representatives.

The House of Lords is predominantly formed by the nobles of the Realm-at-large, including the Duchy of Tuscany and Genoa, the Duchy of Venice, the Duchy of Croatia-Slovenia, and the Duchy of Hungary; the House of Lords also has the Lords Spiritual, who are by-and-large the most powerful Bishops or Archbishops of the Realm and considered direct representatives of the Papacy. There are also the Lesser Peerage and the Life Peerage, who are both acknowledged and permitted by the King to serve for life in the House of Lords.

The Chamber of Representatives is a body of ten individuals from each Duchy and province of the Empire, whom are elected for a single ten-year term by landowners, landlords, and merchants and tradesmen. At least one Representative from each Duchy, for a term, can also be appointed directly by the Dukes of the Realm for great service, selected from among scholars and others.

The Compromise of 1531 also granted substantial autonomy to the Kingdom of Bavaria; the Kingdom of Bavaria was, essentially, able to create a National Council. The Duchy of Nordgau that governs northern Bavaria from Nuremberg, and the Archduchy of Munich (as the King is simultaneously an Archduke) governs southern Bavaria, are the primary forms of nobility in the Kingdom; as a result, the National Council is largely a unicameral body formed of elected representatives under a system not dissimilar to the Chamber of Representatives' function for the rest of the Empire - however, the clergy get some seats reserved for them, about fifteen extra seats, for a total of 35 seats.

Presidents of either Council are usually elected by the National Council for Bavaria, and by the House of Lords for the Royal Council of the Realm. The National Council also creates the executive ministries that assist the President, whilst the Chamber of Representatives is permitted to do the same for the President of the Royal Council.

The National Council creates all legislation for the Kingdom of Bavaria, with the President having the ability to veto said laws or else grant them his assent; the Chamber of Representatives and House of Lords can draft Imperial Laws for the Realm, with the President of the Royal Council having the ability to veto those or grant them his assent as well.

When either President grants their assent, the bills in question go to the King to receive Royal Legitimacy; essentially, a “final assent and command to implement” for said law. If the President(s) veto a bill, however, the respective Councils can petition the King to overrule said veto, who can do so with a Royal Decree.

The King is the absolute commander of the Royal Armies for the Kingdom of Bavaria and the Realm-at-large, respectively; combined with his word being an extremely important piece for any legislation, the fact that he controls diplomatic relations, etc., and thus the Austro-Bavarian Realm is more or less united economically, diplomatically, and militarily, even if there is substantial autonomy for Bavaria in comparison to the rest of the Realm.

The judiciary of the Realm is, conversely, still a singular branch for both the Kingdom of Bavaria and the rest of the Realm to avoid any conflict of precedence or rulings in law. The Royal Court is formed of five Judges, two from Bavaria, two from Austria, and one selected from among the Duchies; cycling through which Duchy is chosen every time a Judge is replaced. Judges serve on the Court for life. The Royal Court is the final court of appeals for civil or criminal affairs, no matter one's station; however, it has no power to deem laws unlawful - such matters are petitioned to the King directly.

Majority/State Religion: Roman Catholicism.
Religious Description: Due to how the Accords/Agreements were worded, along with the Austro-Bavarian Realm's influence/prestige in the Holy Roman Empire, its closeness with the Papacy, and the King's status as Holy Roman Emperor as well, the Austro-Bavarian Realm is thus inherently Roman Catholic, with almost no permissive attitudes towards a lack of such faith.

Economic Description: Much of the economy of the Realm is based upon trade by the Genoese and Venetians, whenever or wherever possible in the Mediterranean. Alternatively, there are a handful of farming guilds and the like as well.
Major Production: Agricultural Products, to some extent, due to the farming guilds and the like.

Army Description: The Royal Army of Bavaria is formed predominantly by levies trained by veterans of previous conflicts; whilst they are not a standing army, the Duke of Nordgau can - in the King's name or with his assent - summon the levies together. They are well-armed and trained, but nonetheless only come into standing service when called, and are otherwise utilized to capture bandits or other criminals. The Bavarian Royal Army thus has only just over a thousand men-at-arms used to deter bandits and the like, but more can be called if it comes to war.

The Austrian Royal Army is formed by the levies of the various Duchies, as well as a general levy service that the King may call. Each service answers to their appropriate commanders or lieutenants from each Duchy; however, all must answer first and foremost to the King and his appointed Generals, for a more uniform level of structure/hierarchy. In a similar situation to the Bavarian Royal Army, it is not precisely a standing army for war, but rather just well-armed and well-trained men-at-arms used for deterring banditry and other such criminal acts or disturbances to the King's Peace. The Austrian Royal Army is, however, larger than the Bavarian Royal Army simply by virtue of land it comes from; standing at a few thousand strong.
Army Weakness: The Royal Armies are not standing armies and any battles they get into are mostly against bandits or those who would break the King's Peace; if the Royal Armies were summoned to war, the influx of new troops that would need to be trained and armed would mean it'd take time and resources to train and arm them.

Another major point is that the Royal Armies often have difficulty working among themselves with a regiment from a different Duchy or province; thus, while the command structure and hierarchy might be uniform, regiments must oft be segregated and commanded by those from each appropriate Duchy or province, as it will be difficult to say the least to do otherwise.
Naval Description: The Royal Navy is predominantly formed by the Duke of Venice and the Duke of Genoa and Tuscany's naval forces that can be pressed to serve the King more directly, should the King request it.

The Venetian fleet is mostly formed of a few hundred sailors that have modified various sloops and trade-ships to arm them, in order to help defend the Adriatic as well as to protect actual trade ships in the Mediterranean from piracy; more often than not, the Duke of Venice often also acts as the Admiral of the Venetian Fleet.

Likewise, the Genoese fleet is similarly structured for the western Mediterranean and its trade for the Realm.
Naval Weakness: The Royal Navy has no deep-water ships for beyond the Mediterranean, and are predominantly commanded by their respective Dukes or Duchesses rather than the King directly; it is unlikely that such would change in the event of a war at sea, given the King has entrusted these Dukes with said power. This also means there is a slight amount of competition between parts of the Royal Navy, which can cause internal friction.
Further Military Description: N/A.

National Goals: Papal Supremacy: The Austro-Bavarian Realm, as one of the major states in the HRE and with King Ferdinand II also as Holy Roman Emperor, seeks to restore Papal Supremacy and lead a counter-reformation eventually.

National Security: The Austro-Bavarian Realm seeks to assure its own security and more general aims, namely by claiming more lands directly for the King of Austria and Bavaria.
National Issues: Power of the King: The first and most major issue that needs to be resolved by the King is the question of his powers; whilst there is a precarious balance of government, King Ferdinand II hopes to sway the Dukes of Nordgau, Genoa and Venice to his side; this will allow him much political sway considering their own influence over the people.
National Figures of Interest : Ferdinand II, King of Austria and Bavaria, Holy Roman Emperor.
National Ambition/Aspirations: Restore Papal Supremacy and increase the power and prestige of Austria and Bavaria even further.

History: 1340-1350: An unexpected famine in Austria leads Duke Otto I to seize the lands of the Duchy of Bavaria, supposedly to ensure all the Austrians are fed but also as a result of said famine striking down most eligible Dukes aside from his children with Duchess Elisabeth of Bavaria. In 1350, the Abkommen der Menschen document is drafted and signed; the Duchy of Austria becomes a proper Kingdom, whilst the Dukes of Bavaria will rule as Dukes in Nordgau as the Duchy of Bavaria becomes a province of the Kingdom. The Habsburgs begin their rise to power in the Holy Roman Empire.

1350-1477: The Austrian Realm expands further, through advantageous marriages and politicking into the northern Italian Duchies to be convinced to join Austria voluntarily, whilst parts of Slovakia, Slovenia, Croatia, and other places are absorbed by force. The Kingdom of Austria slowly but surely assures its own power within the Empire. The House of Habsburg begin marrying into other major duchies, the most notable of which leads to the acquisition of the Netherlands/Low Countries by Charles V, a member of the House from that land. It is a combination of this and other factors that halt the Bohemian offensive against the Kingdom.

1477-1550: Over the course of these decades, the Kingdom of Austria attempts to stop the rise of Protestantism within its own borders as well as attempts numerous punishments against the Dutch for starting the movement; alas, much of these attempts fail. Fears of a Bavarian revolt lead to the Bavarian Compromise of 1531, an addition to the proto-constitution of the Kingdom, reorganizing the Kingdom into the United Kingdoms of Austria and Bavaria, oft referred to as the Austro-Bavarian Realm. Other Duchies are also given more power in the House of Lords, among other restructuring actions.

Unlike with Bavaria, however, the Kingdom seeks a harsh punishment for the Dutch's perceived responsibility for this affair; and so the States-General are established in the Netherlands to govern them and be far easier to control.

1551-1584: The Kingdom of Austria, through its power within the Holy Roman Empire, continues to harshly punish the Dutch for their continued resistance to Recatholicization. Eventually, the States-General attempts to declare independence, breaking away from Austrian control; outraged, the Austrian Army begins to invade and siege many Dutch cities, massacring two entire populations in the process. As the Twenty Years' War progresses, Austrian agents successfully assassinate the rebel and heretic William the Silent.

1584-1603: The war continues, but the Austrian morale begins flagging as it drags on and victories are returned by swift defeats, and the war seems destined to stalemate - that is, until the advent of the 1600s, when Maurice the Terrible utilized treacherous new means to slaughter Austria's leal men at arms. Rudolf II chooses to acknowledge the Dutch's independence, but further issues an Imperial Edict exiling them from the Holy Roman Empire entirely - though, privately, Rudolf II and many Catholic Austrians celebrated the death of Maurice the Terrible once his demise was known to the world.

1603-Present: The Austro-Bavarian Realm continues efforts of Recatholicization within their borders; Rudolf II dies unexpectedly, whilst King Matthias abdicates early as a result of ill health. Ferdinand II becomes both King of Austria and Bavaria, as well as Holy Roman Emperor.

The King has become known for two features: first, he is extremely Catholic and hates Protestants with an unenviable passion; and second, he has an almost morbid fascination with death by burning; going so far as to convince his allies within the Councils of the Kingdom to make any crime worthy of death have a mandatory death-by-burning sentence, reaffirming an edict by a prior Holy Roman Emperor within the law of his lands. But Ferdinand is not yet satisfied, and eyes his neighbors to the north and has had a disdainful glare for the Netherlands on atlases of Europe for many years now, and many of his advisors suspect that the King has begun plotting, even as he has slowly begun attempts at eroding the power of the Councils...

RP Sample: I've been here before. Y'all know me.

This is heavily WIP still, might need help further developing it. Thoughts on what's there so far are welcome.
Last edited by The V O I D on Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:21 pm, edited 6 times in total.

New Luciannova
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 16, 2018
Capitalist Paradise

Polish Commonwealth Reservation

Postby New Luciannova » Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:39 pm

I would like to reserve an application for a Polish Commonwealth
Reservation

Nation Name: Polish Commonwealth (it looks like Lithuania won't be joining us this time around)
Territory: Modern-day Poland, Galicia
WHEN THE WINGED HUSSARS ARRIVED!

Oscalantine
Minister

Founded: Apr 17, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Oscalantine » Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:00 pm

Oscalantine wrote:Full Nation Name: The United Kingdom of Albion

I am alive! And please, I do need extension T~T.

American Pere Housh
Senator

Founded: Jan 12, 2019
Father Knows Best State

Postby American Pere Housh » Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:49 pm

I need an extension as well as it will take me some time to finish my app.
Government Type: Militaristic Republic
Leader: President Alexander Jones
Prime Minister: Isabella Stuart-Jones
Secretary of Defense: Hitomi Izumi
Secretary of State: Eliza 'Vanny' Cortez
Time: 2023
Population: MT-450 million
Territory: All of North America, The Islands of the Caribbean and the Philippines

Chinniwana
Envoy

Founded: Feb 28, 2018
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Chinniwana » Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:26 pm

I won't be making it in this game. Sorry everyone. Maybe next time. :unsure:

Theyra
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 29, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Theyra » Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:43 pm

Full Nation Name: Kingdom of Tamazgha
Majority/Official Culture: Berber
Territorial Core: Morocco, Western Sahara, and Algeria/ Colonies in Venezuela, the Lesser Antilles, and North Carolina
Territorial Claim: Tunisia, Libya, the rest of Venezuela
Capital City: Marrakesh, Marrakesh
Population: 7,000,000 Main, Colonies population is historial.

Government Type: Absolute Monarchy
Government Ideology/Policies: N/A
Government Focus: Staying independent, Defending borders, Opportunistic expansion, and Colonial expansion
Head of State: King Gurayin Akbari
Head of Government: King Gurayin Akbari
Government Description: A absolute monarchy that retains Berber traditions of a democratic government mainly having a council of tribal chiefs that the king asks for consultation when needed. Maintaining influence and control of the kingdom by having family members or allies in governorships of the kingdom's territory.

Majority/State Religion: Sunni Islam
Religious Description: N/A

Economic Description: The kingdom though a desert land, it hosts a strong agriculture base along the coast thanks to irrigation and boosts a good mining base with plentiful minerals. Along with good fishing in the Atlantic and a developing sugarcane base in the colonies. Plus, trading with its neighbors in Africa and Europe and trade across the Atlantic with its American colonies.
Major Production: Fish, Iron, Copper, Wheat, Textiles, and Sugarcane(Colonies)

Army Description : While most of the army comes from the allied tribes and those loyal to the Akbari dynasty. Who are trained to use gunpowder weapons by the kingdom and are expected to maintain their equipment. There exists a semi-professional force that acts as the king's personal guard and army. Numbering at 10,000 but only in wartime. This army called the Royal Arm, is a force that is personally led by the king and has the best training and equipment that the kingdom can afford. Recruited from the best the kingdom has. Normally during peacetime, a small number is permanently raised and maintained by the king to act as his royal guard and during times of war, the rest of the Royal Arm is raised and maintained by the king. The only professional force that exists is the Colonial Guard which is trained and armed by the kingdom and sent to the Americas to protect their colonies.
Army Weakness : Militarily smaller than its neighbors relies on tribal allies than a professional force.
Naval Description : A medium-sized force to patrol and keep their sea trade free from pirates and other criminal groups. Along with maintaining a supply and contact route with its American colonies.
Naval Weakness : Mainly used to patrol and defend against pirates and to secure trade with its American colonies.
Further Military Description : N/A

National Goals : Stay independent and Become stronger than its neighbors and be a strong power in Africa.
National Issues : The kingdom despite attempts, is mainly decentralized the current king seeks reforms to change that, and The threat of the Egyptian Empire.
National Figures of Interest : N/A
National Ambition/Aspirations : Become a strong North African Empire

History : The history of the Kingdom of Tamazgha starts when the Almohad Caliphate fell, and the last ruler Idris al-Wathiq was killed in 1244. In the ensuing power vacuum, the Akbari took control of Marrakesh, the former capital and established their rule over Morocco. Forming the Akbari Sultanate and were quick to solidify their hold over the region. Crushing other rebels and dissents in the region.

In 1325, the Akbari Sultanate under Sultan Ikku Akbari would expand its holding to include Algeria and Western Sahara. Claiming to be the true successor of the Almohads and would try to conquer Tunisia but were repelled. Forcing the sultan's attention elsewhere and it was during his rule that the progress of de-Arabization began. As Sultan Ikku mainly due to the influence of his old tutor, a Kabyle Berber named Mihemi Baksh. Seeing Berber traditions being replaced with Arab ones and the legacy and accomplishments of the Berber people being diminished. Ikku started to promote and endorse Berber traditions, culture, and language throughout the sultanate. Causing friction with some of the nobility, mainly with the Arab nobles.

In 1465 was considered the golden age of the Akbari Sultanate under Batus Akbari. The sultanate was at a high point and was at peace with the process of de-Arabization going smoothly. But this golden age ended when Batus was assassinated, and his son, Meslata, put on the throne and started to dismantle his father's work of de-Arabization. Leading to unrest, and when it was uncovered that the Arab nobility was behind the assassination and worse, Batus was in on it. Because of finding out that despite being the firstborn son, His father was planning on giving the sultanate to his youngest son Koumaz as he believed he was the most able of his children. Which made Meslata furious and knowing that the Arab nobility was unhappy with his father's rule. Plans were made, and while the assassination of his father went well. He failed to kill Koumaz and when the news broke of the treachery. A brief civil war ensured, and Koumaz would win and personally executed Meslata.

It was at this point that Koumaz when made sultan. Her first act as sultan was the purge of the Arab nobility from their positions and giving them to loyal Berber followers. Restarting de-Arabization and would usher in a series of reforms such as some centralization of the nation and in an instance of Berber nationalism. Decided on renaming the nation from the Akbari Sultanate to the Kingdom of Tamazgha. With Tamazgha being the Berber word for North Africa and decreed that all Berbers of all faiths would be welcome in the kingdom as the Tamazgha is their home, and no one would erase their culture and language. Earning the title Koumaz the Great.

In 1552 under the rule of Asmil Akbari with, the discovery of the New World. The kingdom, in a period of peace, was able under Asmil's order for the kingdom to explore and colonize the new world like how Al Andalus
had done. Which while Al Andalus had a good head start, the kingdom was able to establish several colonies in the Americas. Mainly in South America, where the kingdom's colonies are centralized around the colony of New Rabat in an unclaimed part of the continent. Which a small amount of the kingdom's military is sent over to protect the colonies from both the natives and from possible other colonies.

In 1618, things have become for good and bad for the kingdom. Now under the rule of King Gurayin Akbari, while the kingdom and its colonies are thriving. The threat of the expansionist Egyptian Empire on their doorstep is concerning. With efforts made to fortify the border between the two powers. Along with seeking allies against the Egyptians and attempt to expand their colonial holdings in the Americas. Along with ushering in reforms to centralize the nation. And the growing concern over the succession since Gurayin has only two surviving children, the princes Mririda, and her younger but sickly brother Ziri. And some are worried that the young boy may not last to adulthood. Causing concerns, but for now, they are low considering the queen's age, who still can have children. The thirty year old Gurayin, after his father died of a stroke, is now in charge of the kingdom and while he was taught how to rule by his father. Now is the time to see if Gurayin can keep his kingdom together and secure its freedom and the freedom of its colonies or see his realm fall and be conquered by its neighbors. Only time will tell.

RP Sample: 2060: A New Era

Last edited by Theyra on Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:04 am

New Luciannova wrote:I would like to reserve an application for a Polish Commonwealth
Reservation

Nation Name: Polish Commonwealth (it looks like Lithuania won't be joining us this time around)
Territory: Modern-day Poland, Galicia
WHEN THE WINGED HUSSARS ARRIVED!

Within the limit of what parts of Poland are free, accepted

Do keep in mind that this is a bit odd (modern Poland did after all receive some territories that were German in this period), so if you wish to compensate for the loss of Lithuania, Moldova and maybe parts of eastern Hungary could be arranged in your claim
Last edited by Tracian Empire on Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:05 am

Oscalantine wrote:
Oscalantine wrote:Full Nation Name: The United Kingdom of Albion

I am alive! And please, I do need extension T~T.

American Pere Housh wrote:I need an extension as well as it will take me some time to finish my app.

Extensions accepted

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:06 am

Chinniwana wrote:I won't be making it in this game. Sorry everyone. Maybe next time. :unsure:

Well, you could still request a 24 hour extension for the reservation

And assuming that no one else reserves your territory, you could simply post your finished app whenever it's ready.

But you'd know best, of course.

Empire of Techkotal
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 09, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Empire of Techkotal » Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:43 am

The V O I D wrote:Full Nation Name: Das Österreichisch-Bayerische Reich, or in English, the Austro-Bavarian Empire, is also rendered occasionally as Das Vereinigte Königreich Österreich und Bayern, or the United Kingdom of Austria and Bavaria; Österreich-Bayern, or Austria-Bavaria, is also acceptable.
Majority/Official Culture: The Austrian and Bavarian cultures are dominant, generally leading to a German bent within the Empire; though there is significant influence from the Italian territories, particularly Venice.
Territorial Core: Austria, Bavaria, Slovakia, Western Hungary, Slovenia, Croatia, Venice/Northern Italy.
Territorial Claim: The King of Austria and Bavaria is also the Emperor of the greater Empire, and claims to be the Holy Roman Emperor, a claim legitimized by the Papacy; as a result, the Austro-Bavarian Empire exerts massive influence over the entirety of the Holy Roman Empire and the King/Emperor claims dominion over it to some degree.
Capital City: Vienna serves as the Imperial Capital, as the Emperor is from Austria first and foremost; however, Vienna only serves as the legislative capital for the Imperial Council of Austria, which technically governs all of the Empire except for Bavaria. Munich serves as the capital for the Royal Council, the legislature that governs Bavaria for its King, who is also Emperor of Austria and of the Austro-Bavarian Empire.
Population: Approximately 15 million people live in the Austro-Bavarian Empire as a whole.

Government Type: Constitutional Dual Monarchy.
Government Ideology/Policies: Imperialist, Catholic/Pro-Papacy.
Government Focus: The Austro-Bavarian Empire places most emphasis on its ability to leverage influence within the Holy Roman Empire, whether through martial, cultural, economic, or other means; it is also quite interested in maintaining territorial integrity.
Head of State: His Imperial and Royal Majesty, Ferdinand II, Emperor of Austria and King of Bavaria, the Holy Roman Emperor.
Head of Government: His Highness, Francesco I de Medici, the Duke of Tuscany and President of the Imperial Council serves as the head of government for the Imperial Council and thus, for Austria and much of the Empire; His Excellency, Maximilian I, the Duke of Nordgau and President of the Royal Council serves as the head of government for the Royal Council and thus, for all Bavaria. Their noble titles also allow them much influence; for instance, the Duke of Tuscany rules Tuscany and Genoa, and his family has significant influence over much of the northwestern Italian provinces of the Empire. The Duke of Nordgau, on the other hand, rules northern Bavaria directly from Nuremberg, with southern Bavaria more directly administered by the King and Royal Council (and thus, in his position as its President, the Duke of Nordgau de facto governs Bavaria for and in the name of the King).
Government Description: The Abkommen der Menschen (lit. “Agreements of the People,” “People's Agreements,” “Accords of Men”) were the document upon which the Austrian Empire established its government after conquering Bavaria in 1350; these were amended in the Bavarian Compromise of 1531 to allow substantial autonomy to the Kingdom of Bavaria compared to the other provinces and duchies of the Empire.

Under this constitution, the United Kingdoms are proclaimed to be Roman Catholic realms that pay fealty to the Pope in all religious affairs, and proscribes the necessity of the Holy Roman Empire as a state that “coexists” with the Empire. The Imperial Council is a bicameral legislature, formed by the House of Lords and the Chamber of Representatives.

The House of Lords is predominantly formed by the nobles of the Empire-at-large, including the Duchy of Tuscany and Genoa, the Duchy of Venice, the Duchy of Croatia-Slovenia, and the Duchy of Hungary; the House of Lords also has the Lords Spiritual, who are by-and-large the most powerful Bishops or Archbishops of the Empire and considered direct representatives of the Papacy. There are also the Lesser Peerage and the Life Peerage, who are both acknowledged and permitted by the Emperor to serve for life in the House of Lords.

The Chamber of Representatives is a body of ten individuals from each Duchy and province of the Empire, whom are elected for a single ten-year term by landowners, landlords, and merchants and tradesmen. At least one Representative from each Duchy, for a term, can also be appointed directly by the Dukes of the Empire for great service, selected from among scholars and others.

The Compromise of 1531 also granted substantial autonomy to the Kingdom of Bavaria; the Kingdom of Bavaria was, essentially, able to create a Royal Council. The Duchy of Nordgau that governs northern Bavaria from Nuremberg, and the Archduchy of Munich (as the King is simultaneously an Archduke) governs southern Bavaria, are the primary forms of nobility in the Kingdom; as a result, the Royal Council is largely a unicameral body formed of elected representatives under a system not dissimilar to the Chamber of Representatives' function for the rest of the Empire - however, the clergy get some seats reserved for them, about fifteen extra seats, for a total of 35 seats.

Presidents of either Council are usually elected by the Royal Council for Bavaria, and by the House of Lords for the Imperial Council of the greater Empire. The Royal Council also creates the executive ministries that assist the President, whilst the Chamber of Representatives is permitted to do the same for the President of the Imperial Council.

The Royal Council creates all legislation for the Kingdom of Bavaria, with the President having the ability to veto said laws or else grant them his assent; the Chamber of Representatives and House of Lords can draft Imperial Laws for the greater Empire, with the President of the Imperial Council having the ability to veto those or grant them his assent as well.

When either President grants their assent, the bills in question go to the King and Emperor to receive Royal or Imperial Legitimacy; essentially, a “final assent and command to implement” for said law. If the President(s) veto a bill, however, the respective Councils can petition the King or Emperor to overrule said veto, who can do so with a Royal or Imperial Decree.

The King and Emperor is the absolute commander of the Royal Army and the Imperial Military for the Kingdom of Bavaria and the greater Empire, respectively; combined with his word being an extremely important piece for any legislation, the fact that he controls diplomatic relations, etc., and thus the Austro-Bavarian Empire is more or less united economically, diplomatically, and militarily, even if there is substantial autonomy for Bavaria in comparison to the rest of the Empire.

The judiciary of the Empire is, conversely, still a singular branch for both the Kingdom of Bavaria and the greater Empire to avoid any conflict of precedence or rulings in law. The Imperial Court is formed of five Judges, two from Bavaria, two from Austria, and one selected from among the Duchies; cycling through which Duchy is chosen every time a Judge is replaced. Judges serve on the Court for life. The Imperial Court is the final court of appeals for civil or criminal affairs, no matter one's station; however, it has no power to deem laws unlawful - such matters are petitioned to the King and Emperor directly.

Majority/State Religion: Roman Catholicism.
Religious Description: Due to how the Accords/Agreements were worded, along with the Austro-Bavarian Empire's influence/prestige in the Holy Roman Empire, its closeness with the Papacy, and the King-Emperor's status as Holy Roman Emperor as well, the Austro-Bavarian Empire is thus inherently Roman Catholic, with almost no permissive attitudes towards a lack of such faith.

Economic Description:
Major Production:

Army Description : [[Describe your nation's army in as much detail as you can]]
Army Weakness :
Naval Description : [[Describe your nation's navy in as much detail as you can]]
Naval Weakness :
Further Military Description : [[OPTIONAL]]

National Goals : [[What are the main objectives of your nation?]]
National Issues : [[What needs to be fixed in order for your nation to achieve its true potential?]]
National Figures of Interest : [[OPTIONAL]] [[Are there any Mother Teresas or Moses that we need to know about?]]
National Ambition/Aspirations : [[OPTIONAL]] [[Not really set objectives, but rather the big picture that your nation is drawing towards]]

History : [[Can be formatted in paragraphs or as a bulletpoint timeline.]]
RP Sample: [[Either a link to a past post, or an example written right here.]]

This is heavily WIP still, might need help further developing it. Thoughts on what's there so far are welcome.

You could please not call yourself an empire and all the things in your app that only effect you, because it looks really weird with you already being in an empire and it confuses the hell out of me. So make it like rules of your realms, but not empire. Since anything else would be more or less god modding since we as other HRE players would be subject to your imperial laws and institutions otherwise and that wont fly without our consent.
Last edited by Empire of Techkotal on Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:57 am

Elsbrat wrote:I talked to Hindustan's player about their inclusion in this application, and hope the historical difficulties with the Uzbeks being replaced by the Crimean Tatars is okay. I also talked to Al-Andalus' player about their inclusion here.

[spoiler]Full Nation Name: Safavid Empire

• The Shasevans are essentially a royal bodyguard (they’re the qurchis under Abbas), but that’s alright, you should just mention it, and they’re a bit larger than they should be, the numbers I was able to find point to 12,000.
  • The ghulams are also alright, attested and everything, but their numbers are also a bit too large - I was able to find that under Abbas their force number 40,000. I understand that you’ve enlarged both numbers to account for a larger Persia, but the qurchis are recruited from the Qizilbash tribes and the ghulams from kidnapped Caucasians so their recruitment pool would still be the same.
  • The tofang-chi forces being a little larger is something that could make sense and that I would accept.
  • As for the artillery corps, you should keep at 12,000 as it was historically, mostly because the Europeans would have a much weaker presence in the region than they did in real life, so it would be more difficult to find Westerners to train them. Becoming properly independent in terms of the manufacturing of artillery could be one of your objectives in the IC though.
  • As for the Qizilbash, the Shah’s own forces would limit their influence, but it wouldn’t have fully removed their potential for creating civil disturbances or issues.
  • As for the velayat system, at least some of those areas are technically Qizilbash areas, particularly Lorestan, while you’re giving the impression that all their forces are separate. Velayat provinces like Georgia would also certainly not be able to provide anywhere close to such a number, and since the velayats were meant to be border provinces, I have to admit that I’m not sure why provinces like Arabestan and Lorestan would still be velayats.
  • And that entire part with Iran having one of the largest armies in the world - doubtful, seeing as we have two Chinese dynasties and two Indian states that would each be able to field much larger armies.
  • The naval part is slightly confusing to me. The whole naval cooperation with Hindustan is alright if the player has consented to it, but how would Hindustan give the Persians European ships? And the Safavids being able to defend Hindustani waters is a dubious claim at best, as the Cheriyani have their own powerful navy and as the Safavids would not be able to defend Hindustan’s eastern coasts. That and well, I’m somewhat confused about the cooperation itself. If the Safavid Arabs work for Hindustan as advisors, then they’d count as part of Hindustan’s forces, so that entire area should not be part of your naval description (Hindustani ships with advisors working for Hindustan defending Hindustani waters are a Hindustan thing).
  • As for Afghanistan, yeah, that section should be edited. Bringing people there (particularly Caucasians, of which there is a limit) would simply enrage the locals and Afghanistan is first of all an area that is fundamentally very difficult to control and one that would also be at the Safavid periphery. You’re free to sink men and resources into it but the area would likely still be rebellious/not fully under Safavid control.

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:08 am

Theyra wrote:Full Nation Name: Kingdom of Tamazgha

The app is alright overall, but I would change stuff about this Tintayri. I am not familiar with the Berber view on woman, but considering the era and even more so considering that you're an Islamic state, her ruling as a de jure Sultana is just unheard of and she would have probably been assassinated before leaving the palace. Particularly so since she also clearly earned the opposition of the nobility and of the Arabs. So either replace her with a male sultan, or at the most you could look at the Ottomans make it so that she was a wife of the sultan or a mother of the sultan with plenty of influence in court, a de facto rule by influencing her son or her husband, but that would still lead to more opposition.

Similarly, with Islamic law and everything I think that people thinking that they shouldn't have a woman ruling the realm is the least of your issues - she would likely not be able to inherit the throne to start with.

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:10 am

I will also once again remind people that reservations can and will expire unless they request an extension

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:32 am

Khasinkonia wrote:
(Image)

#AltDiv

Accepted

Alt Div Admin
Envoy

Founded: Dec 15, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Alt Div Admin » Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:55 am

Map and list updated, reservation for the Fei dynasty has expired, and the Cipchak player has withdrawn
Last edited by Alt Div Admin on Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Orostan
Negotiator

Founded: May 02, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Orostan » Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:02 am

Full Nation Name: Great Yuan
Majority/Official Culture: Han Chinese, Mongol
Territorial Core:

Territorial Claim: Southern China, Korea and Manchuria
Capital City: Khanbaliq, modern day Beijing
Population: 77,000,000

Government Type: Absolute Monarchy
Government Ideology/Policies: Expansionist
Government Focus: Unifying China, preventing Korea from making an alliance with the Song, strengthening of the state at home.
Head of State: Emperor/Great Khan Khaidu Temur
Head of Government: Khaidu Temur
Government Description:

The Great Yuan is organized in a way typical of Chinese empires. The Central Secretariat is in charge of civil affairs, the Grand Council manages the military, and the Censorate is in charge of regulating the administration but mostly anti-corruption efforts. The Ministry of Justice is responsible for policing and courts and since a series of reforms in the late 1500s applies justice to all subjects of the Great Khan instead of the more fragmented system that existed before where Mongols, Jurchens, and other groups were tried in different courts.

Provinces are not organized in the typical Chinese way and instead there is a strict division between military and civil power, with military power being organized in a significantly different way from civil power. The Empire is divided into about two hundred Provinces each of which is ruled by a governor appointed directly by the Emperor. Lower level positions in the provinces are filled by appointees of the governor. Provinces are only rarely grouped into larger administrative units called Viceroyalties and this most often occurs in the frontier regions. Military and civil authority are never the same and the military is organized very differently from the provinces. The territories of the Great Yuan populated by nomads are governed in a different way and divided into tribal areas whose chiefs are vassals of the Great Khan. They are not appointed by the central government but instead are confirmed by it - so the position of chief in Mongolia and other areas is usually hereditary unless the Emperor has some issue with the person inheriting the title.

Majority/State Religion: Chinese Folk Religion, Taoism, Nestorian Christianity
Religious Description: The majority religion among the Mongol and parts of the Han elite is a form of Nestorian Christianity which was popularized following the Great Khan’s conversion to this religion, which already had roots in Mongolia and elsewhere, following a civil war in the early 1400s. This means the normal religious duties a Chinese Emperor has are done differently than they were in previous dynasties for example although they are similar enough to not be immediately distinguishable. An Emperor instead of asking for advice from their ancestors might ask advice from God, for example. The state also does not suppress Taoism or Local Chinese religions partly because of the instability that would cause and also because the elite do not generally try to push their religion on the public and do not see the ideas of Confucius or Lao Tzu as necessarily being anti-Christian similar to how European Christians do not see Plato’s writing as necessarily conflicting with Christianity in many ways.

Christians are at most 10-15% of the population and are disproportionately urban. During times of crisis or social stress Christians are frequently propagandized against by would-be rebels or targeted by more traditionalist rural populations. This means that to calm the population the government has to walk a fine line between being openly Christian but presenting itself as Chinese - for example Yuan Emperors will frequently do what looks like a traditional Chinese religious ceremony in public to the average Chinese peasant but is in reality a christian event. The goal is to make it seem as if the religious distinction between the common Han citizen and their Emperor does not matter.

Economic Description: The economy is majority agrarian as typical of the time period but the government subsidizes workshops and artisan production to a great degree. All foreign trade is controlled by the state and the export of products like silk is viewed as an important source of revenue to the state. The importation of foreign goods in some parts of the country, especially near the frontier where people may be closer to artisans in another state than those deep in China, is regulated. Although the state is not hostile to European traders it does seek to limit their economic influence and does not allow the sale of foreign silks or goods that could compete with Chinese production.

Major Production:
Grain, rice, cotton, silk, other cash crops and manufactured goods.

Army Description :
The Great Yuan's Red Banner Army is organized into twelve different commands which are grouped under four Generals who command groups of armies facing the north, the east, the west, and the south. The most important position is the "General of the South" who faces the Song and is generally given the best equipment and men. The twelve different minor generals are appointed by the central government to minimize the threat of a large section of the armed forces joining a revolt. This system provides a good balance of central control and local autonomy. There is also the Tamma army which consists of a variable number of armies that are almost entirely cavalry and typically of higher quality than Red Banner Army men. This evolved from the Mongolian cavalry forces originally involved in the conquest of China hundreds of years ago and is used as a rapid response force as well as cavalry support for the Red Banner Army. Generals of the Tamma Army are generally more skilled and prestigious than those of the Red Banner Army although this is changing.

The popularization of muskets and gunpowder weapons which weaken the strength of cavalry and horse archers on the battlefield has affected the Great Yuan's military immensely. The Tamma Army is generally seen as being an institution in decline compared to the Red Banner Army.

Army Weakness :
The policy of dividing military commands and not fully trusting the majority Han Red Banner Army has created a situation where the lower commands of the army frequently run into issues of overlapping jurisdictions and disputes over men and supplies are not uncommon. It is also not infrequent for lower level generals to not follow orders from their direct superiors who have no power to remove them and must petition the central government first. This creates issues with control at times although during wartime the higher level generals are usually given special powers to rectify this issue. The army is generally not well coordinated during peacetime and takes time to adapt to new methods of control during war or in preparation for war meaning that the army's administration is generally perceived as sluggish and overly deferential to the central government in Khanbaliq.
Naval Description : The navy is seen as a coastal defense and anti-piracy force and as such receives a minority of the state's military expenditure. However with the Song more reliant on sea trade than the Yuan it is an important asset during wartime and a large number of ships are stored in drydocks for deployment during war. The navy also supports pirates attacking Song trade and when not at war is used to apply pressure to the Song in this way.
Naval Weakness :
The number of ships the navy can deploy is much lower than the number of ships it actually has. At any given time as low as 45% of the navy is in an operational and ready to fight state because that is all that is (usually) necessary for anti-piracy operations. This does not necessarily mean the other 55% of the navy is always in dry dock or another form of storage but that at any given moment that part of the navy is simply not being used, whatever state its ships might be in. The navy also suffers from a lack of reliable skilled commanders as those most skilled in war at sea are likely to be pirates or 'former' pirates. The same is true for the men. The navy is generally not seen as politically reliable by the central government and raises in funding which would fix some of the navy's training and other issues are not the state's priority.

National Goals : Finding a way to gain legitimacy for a Mongol dynasty with the Han, creating a loyal class of Han bureaucrats, unifying China
National Issues : The Han-Mongol divide, Religious issues caused by the majority Christian mongol elite, continued disloyalty among the Han in parts of the country especially near the South, unimaginable size resulting in expensive administration costs and slow response times to problems from the perhaps overly centralized state.
National Figures of Interest :

Emperor/Great Khan - Khaidu Temur
Patriarch of Khanbaliq - Dodai Sauma
Grand General of the South - Zhao Zhihao
Minister of the Censorate - Huang Yun
Secretary of the Grand Council - Xie Ru

National Ambition/Aspirations :
-Reform the administration to reduce some of the issues of over-centralization
-Unify China, conquer the south

History :

The Yuan conquest of the Song in our world followed a strategy of attempting to encircle the Song by conquering the Dali Kingdom first in 1253. The Song, already in control of Dali in this world, however are able to defeat a force led by Kublai Khan in 1253. Two more military expeditions are launched against Song Yunnan in the next decade but both fail and furthermore the Tibetans take the side of the Song against the Mongols. Other attempts to cross the Yangtze win difficult victories or result in indecisive outcomes. Even when there is military success it is unprofitable and the political will to try to conquer the Song does not exist anymore after multiple expensive failed attempts. For almost the next hundred years the frontier between the two states would stabilize and the Yuan would become consumed in their own issues.

The Red Turban Rebellion erupted in 1351 following a period of decline in the central government's administrative and military ability. This is much more severe in the south than it is in the north and when the revolt begins rebels are only able to seize parts of the south before local warlords are able to contain them. The campaign against the rebels would last until 1370 and be led primarily by local warlords who also would be an issue for the central government that at this point only controlled the north. In order to maintain their power in the face of a central government which was strengthening itself local warlords began to try to appease the Han population by appointing Han bureaucrats to high positions. A number of former rebel leaders are also given amnesty and noble titles in return for helping control the population by warlords. When open conflict between the central government which had used some of the same strategies as the warlords to maintain control in its territory and the warlords began in 1395 after the Great Khan was deposed and replaced with his brother Baiju who supported reestablishing central government control over the whole country (and was also influenced by Christianity) the fighting lasted until 1415 when the last rebels fled into Song territory. A reduction in corruption and by extension excess taxes and general economic recovery would help increase the state's legitimacy post-war.

Immediately after the country was stabilized large administrative and military reforms took place. The Mongol elite and sections of the Han population also became majority Christian after the succession of Baiju Khan by his son who was openly Christian and the Patriarch of Khanbaliq was given official state support. Despite a series of border wars with the Song during this period neither side was able or willing to dedicate enough resources to fighting to gain a decisive advantage or win the series of battles necessary for seriously weakening the other or changing the border. The 1502 Song invasion of Tibet created an opportunity to attack the Song the Great Yuan were unable to take advantage of due to a succession dispute. The Emperor today, the twenty year old Khaidu Temur, came to power two years ago following his father's natural death. Despite his dynasty's Mongol origins it is growing increasingly sinicized and Khaidu was tutored about Confucius before he learned how to shoot a bow on horseback.

RP Sample: viewtopic.php?p=39744818#p39744818

Last edited by Orostan on Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:57 pm, edited 6 times in total.
“It is difficult for me to imagine what “personal liberty” is enjoyed by an unemployed hungry person. True freedom can only be where there is no exploitation and oppression of one person by another; where there is not unemployment, and where a person is not living in fear of losing his job, his home and his bread. Only in such a society personal and any other freedom can exist for real and not on paper.” -J. V. STALIN
Ernest Hemingway wrote:Anyone who loves freedom owes such a debt to the Red Army that it can never be repaid.

Napoleon Bonaparte wrote:“To understand the man you have to know what was happening in the world when he was twenty.”

Cicero wrote:"In times of war, the laws fall silent"

#FreeNSGRojava
Z

Mersdon
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Mersdon » Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:22 am

Tracian Empire wrote:
Mersdon wrote:Oops, my bad. Sorry about that.

No problem, I was under the impression that you already finished your app, so if you could just quickly copy-paste a reservation form that would be great - procedure is procedure.

But I have to say, the app looks great so far, I'm really looking forward to seeing a completed history section

Thanks for your kind words- I'll try and finish the history section up in the next two days or so. Here's my reservation, as requested.

Reservation

Nation Name: The (Second, or White) Rus'
Territory: Modern-day Lithuania, Belarus, eastern Latvia (Livonia and Semigallia), the western extremities of central Russia, and slivers of northern Ukraine (albeit without control of Kiev). The Second Rus' have historical claims to the entirety of non-Galician Ukraine (as their ruling dynasty is directly descended from the Rurikids of the Kievan Rus'), as well as a smattering of territories further north (such as Pskov and Novgorod, given that they were once part of that old realm).

[floatright]
Does a French cowboy say ouihaw?

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

Also, I may be inactive at times, so please bear with my erratic schedule on here.

Elsbrat
Civil Servant

Founded: Jun 12, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Elsbrat » Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:42 am

Tracian Empire wrote:
Elsbrat wrote:I talked to Hindustan's player about their inclusion in this application, and hope the historical difficulties with the Uzbeks being replaced by the Crimean Tatars is okay. I also talked to Al-Andalus' player about their inclusion here.

• The Shasevans are essentially a royal bodyguard (they’re the qurchis under Abbas), but that’s alright, you should just mention it, and they’re a bit larger than they should be, the numbers I was able to find point to 12,000.
  • The ghulams are also alright, attested and everything, but their numbers are also a bit too large - I was able to find that under Abbas their force number 40,000. I understand that you’ve enlarged both numbers to account for a larger Persia, but the qurchis are recruited from the Qizilbash tribes and the ghulams from kidnapped Caucasians so their recruitment pool would still be the same.
  • The tofang-chi forces being a little larger is something that could make sense and that I would accept.
  • As for the artillery corps, you should keep at 12,000 as it was historically, mostly because the Europeans would have a much weaker presence in the region than they did in real life, so it would be more difficult to find Westerners to train them. Becoming properly independent in terms of the manufacturing of artillery could be one of your objectives in the IC though.
  • As for the Qizilbash, the Shah’s own forces would limit their influence, but it wouldn’t have fully removed their potential for creating civil disturbances or issues.
  • As for the velayat system, at least some of those areas are technically Qizilbash areas, particularly Lorestan, while you’re giving the impression that all their forces are separate. Velayat provinces like Georgia would also certainly not be able to provide anywhere close to such a number, and since the velayats were meant to be border provinces, I have to admit that I’m not sure why provinces like Arabestan and Lorestan would still be velayats.
  • And that entire part with Iran having one of the largest armies in the world - doubtful, seeing as we have two Chinese dynasties and two Indian states that would each be able to field much larger armies.
  • The naval part is slightly confusing to me. The whole naval cooperation with Hindustan is alright if the player has consented to it, but how would Hindustan give the Persians European ships? And the Safavids being able to defend Hindustani waters is a dubious claim at best, as the Cheriyani have their own powerful navy and as the Safavids would not be able to defend Hindustan’s eastern coasts. That and well, I’m somewhat confused about the cooperation itself. If the Safavid Arabs work for Hindustan as advisors, then they’d count as part of Hindustan’s forces, so that entire area should not be part of your naval description (Hindustani ships with advisors working for Hindustan defending Hindustani waters are a Hindustan thing).
  • As for Afghanistan, yeah, that section should be edited. Bringing people there (particularly Caucasians, of which there is a limit) would simply enrage the locals and Afghanistan is first of all an area that is fundamentally very difficult to control and one that would also be at the Safavid periphery. You’re free to sink men and resources into it but the area would likely still be rebellious/not fully under Safavid control.

1 & 2.) I would like to keep the size increase the same, if that's alright. If not, I can have a separate force thanks to the population increase made up of a Corps of locals
3.) Awesome
4.) Ill discuss it with you on Discord, but considering control of Omani. Qatari, and Bahraini land I think we can stand up to Cheriyan just fine
5.) Western Afghanistan wasn't particularly difficult for the nation to respond, but I understand. I'll work on edits once we discuss it on Discord

Dogutrakya
Attaché

Founded: Mar 30, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Dogutrakya » Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:49 pm

This app is finished, but it is somewhat crude (especially the history, I completed this at midnight :) ). I'd like to ask the OP's opinion about this, so that I could change what's lacking (or too much), if it is very necessary.

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:50 pm

Accepted

Theyra
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 29, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Theyra » Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:51 pm

Tracian Empire wrote:
Theyra wrote:Full Nation Name: Kingdom of Tamazgha

The app is alright overall, but I would change stuff about this Tintayri. I am not familiar with the Berber view on woman, but considering the era and even more so considering that you're an Islamic state, her ruling as a de jure Sultana is just unheard of and she would have probably been assassinated before leaving the palace. Particularly so since she also clearly earned the opposition of the nobility and of the Arabs. So either replace her with a male sultan, or at the most you could look at the Ottomans make it so that she was a wife of the sultan or a mother of the sultan with plenty of influence in court, a de facto rule by influencing her son or her husband, but that would still lead to more opposition.

Similarly, with Islamic law and everything I think that people thinking that they shouldn't have a woman ruling the realm is the least of your issues - she would likely not be able to inherit the throne to start with.

Okay, made edits that Tintayri was a male named Koumaz and that Mririda is not set to inherit the kingdom.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse