NATION

PASSWORD

Issue Contest: Lucky Seven!

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Issue Contest: Lucky Seven!

Postby Verdant Haven » Sat May 28, 2022 2:43 pm

Hey, remember how we told you last year that the Issue Contest had become an annual event? It's true! Not only is it true, but it's time for that contest to begin! Throughout the month of June, we will be accepting your submissions for our Seventh now-annual Issue Contest, offering you the opportunity to see your name in a News post, and your issue given expedited entry into the game, guaranteed!

How Do I Enter?
Enter your single issue submission via the usual method between 1 June 2022 and 30 June 2022, inclusive. Please ensure you tick the box marked "Issue Contest Submission".

Please take your time, as you only get one submission (that's per player, not per nation), and make sure you're truly happy with it. You've got all month!

Can Anyone Enter?
Yes. Whether you're an old hand with dozens of issues under your belt or have never written an issue before, whether you're normally found debating in NSG or legislating in the WA or haggling over another nation's merchandise in the RP forums, all are welcome to participate!

What Are You Looking For?
We are broadly looking for any issue that a real-life world leader might face, presented in an entertaining fashion suitable to the game. Please enter a submission that you have not already sent to us before. If you'd like to write about one of the suggested themes you certainly may, but it is not required, and will not give better or worse results than any other topic.

You can find ideas on how to do this in our guide to How to Write Issues for NationStates. We advise you to check the Spoiler List to see if your topic has been covered before, and to drop into the Writers' Block for a chat with more experienced authors.

Got Issues? is an excellent resource and we recommend you use it, and draft there, to boost your chances. Issues drafted there are historically vastly more successful, and there's no need to worry about being plagiarized – we are very vigilant.

What Are You Not Looking For?
We are not looking for additional submissions about pandemics or wars/invasions at this time.

If your topic has already been covered by an extant issue, try to find a new angle, an uncovered niche, or other approach to get at it – we can't accept repetition. If you're stuck, ask for advice in the Writer's Block!

You have just one entry: use it well.

What Could I Win?
Our winners will be featured in a follow-up News post, so you can bask in the glory that is internet fame. These finalists are also guaranteed that their submissions will be added to the game.

As with other contests, we will also use this contest to look out for potential future editors.

What Does That Mean?
In the course of the contest, the Issues Team may spot one or more players with the potential to be (either at present or at some time in the future) an issues editor. Good work and a helpful attitude are always positive traits.

Everything depends on the entries we receive.

When Will Results Be Announced?
We'll try to announce the results some time in July, but if the competition is especially fierce, it may take a little extra time. Keep your eyes peeled.

What Happens If I Don't Win?
If you don't win, don't be discouraged - we are always looking for well-written issues. Quality submissions that don't become finalists can still go into the pool for regular editing, and may be added to the game at a later date.

Good Luck and Happy Issuing!

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue May 31, 2022 3:52 pm

I forgot about this. o'o

Might try my hand at another issue now that my writing juices have somewhat recharged... assuming I get the chance. xD
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue May 31, 2022 4:45 pm

I was going to re-start work on 'The Birdman of Pelicanz', anyway. I'll now try to get it ready for submission to this contest.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Valentine Z » Tue May 31, 2022 6:05 pm

Ahh, now that's something to think about, though admittedly RL schedule and other NS ventures have been keeping me busy.
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum
Minister

Founded: Sep 24, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum » Tue May 31, 2022 11:24 pm

I'm not sure what it is, please explain.
Sosyal Demokrat Kemalist
Zayıf Agnostik
LGBT Destekçisi
-3.13 -4.77
Türk %76,2 ☾☆
Slav %22,4
Çinli %1

The Order of Makai
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 15, 2021
Mother Knows Best State

Postby The Order of Makai » Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:48 pm

Just to confirm, the winners are determined by you editors and NOT by a popularity poll correct?
Monster Girls love you~
~All to save the world~!

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:48 pm

Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum wrote:I'm not sure what it is, please explain.

The post (both here and news) well explains it I believe, and the assorted other pins in this sub-forum explain how to write an issue.
The Order of Makai wrote:Just to confirm, the winners are determined by you editors and NOT by a popularity poll correct?

Not an editor, but yes the winners are determined by the editors. Going by past contests, the public has zero input into the selection of winners (and in fact will likely not see many of the submissions, due to the proportion that won’t be forum drafted).

Candensia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Candensia » Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:03 am

The Order of Makai wrote:Just to confirm, the winners are determined by you editors and NOT by a popularity poll correct?

That is correct. As LD says, contest finalists will be determined by the Editing Team.
The Free Joy State wrote:Time spent working on writing skills -- even if the draft doesn't work -- is never wasted.

Great Octavia
Civilian

Founded: Aug 21, 2021
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Great Octavia » Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:56 am

Maybe this can be my chance to submit an issue! I have something in mind.

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:15 pm

Candensia wrote:

That is correct. As LD says, contest finalists will be determined by the Editing Team.

Well technically it is a popularity poll, but among the editors and not like ... general population.
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:35 am

115 entries so far.

I have no idea how that compares to previous years numbers-wise, but there are definitely some very good submissions so far.

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016

Postby Fauxia » Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:41 pm

Great Octavia wrote:Maybe this can be my chance to submit an issue! I have something in mind.

You should draft it on this forum, so those of us with experience and perhaps an editor or two can give you some advice, if you haven't done this previously.
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Electrum
Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 20, 2013

Postby Electrum » Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:16 am

Hey everyone. A reminder we have an officially unofficial Discord for Got Issues. Talk about your drafts and chat with our friendly community. Link's in my signature.
NationStates Tennis Tour President - NSTT rankings and season nine schedule

Issues Editor - List of issue ideas - Got Issues discord

The Aubyain Islands
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 13, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby The Aubyain Islands » Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:29 am

It takes them forever to write back or to approve an issue

Dexterra
Minister

Founded: May 05, 2021
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dexterra » Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:33 am

The Aubyain Islands wrote:It takes them forever to write back or to approve an issue

They're volunteers with offline lives and a lot of submissions to review. And for the sake of issues gameplay, I (for one) hope that they take the time to carefully consider each and every submission.

Electrum wrote:Hey everyone. A reminder we have an officially unofficial Discord for Got Issues.

Thanks for this resource
Last edited by Dexterra on Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix (attributed)

Hulldom
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 16, 2018

Postby Hulldom » Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:13 am

This is probably a stupid question but if I submit an issue for the contest and it’s not one of the winners, does that submission still have a chance of becoming an official issue?
...And I feel like I'm clinging to a cloud!

Sedgistan
Site Director

Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:45 am

Absolutely, it still does. Currently, I think 16 issues from the last Contest are in-game (10 of which were the winners), another 23 are in our Pool folder (potentials to be edited in future), and possibly a few more are in individual Editors' folders.

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015

Postby Valentine Z » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:01 am

I won't be surprised if there are a large influx of issues being reported sometime in the future. :P
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

Dexterra
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dexterra » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:24 pm

Hope the issues team are doing well today! Approximately what time (UTC, if you'd like) will contest submissions close on 30 June, if there is any such set time? Thanks in advance
Last edited by Dexterra on Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix (attributed)

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:41 am

Dexterra wrote:Hope the issues team are doing well today! Approximately what time (UTC, if you'd like) will contest submissions close on 30 June, if there is any such set time? Thanks in advance

Generally it's whenever Admin log in on July 1st and close the process manually :oops:

A safe bet is to assume it ends approx midnight EST.
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Dexterra
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dexterra » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:54 am

Sanctaria wrote:
Dexterra wrote:Hope the issues team are doing well today! Approximately what time (UTC, if you'd like) will contest submissions close on 30 June, if there is any such set time? Thanks in advance

Generally it's whenever Admin log in on July 1st and close the process manually :oops:

A safe bet is to assume it ends approx midnight EST.

Got it, thank you!

The Marsupial Illuminati
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 24, 2016
Free-Market Paradise

Postby The Marsupial Illuminati » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:23 pm

I have looked over all the submissions, and there were some really good ones. Looking forward to reading any more that may be submitted!
Last edited by The Marsupial Illuminati on Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ὁ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ

Dexterra
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dexterra » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:43 pm

Just wanted to express my gratitude to the team for once seventh more organizing this contest and going through hundreds and hundreds of entries for it this year alone.

Also, thank you for the really cool new banners! And sorry if I let them slip before you or anyone was ready (clarification*: posted them just before or just as the announcement went live; point is, hope I didn't spoil them for anyone). Regardless, I feel like you all should know that every single one of you on the issues team and beyond are appreciated by a huge number of people, considering the hard work you each continuously put in towards not only updating this site, but making it a better and more enjoyable place for everyone.

Anyhow, I hope each of your summers/winters/whichever season are off to a good start. Thanks again.

*Appreciations to Sedge
Last edited by Dexterra on Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sedgistan
Site Director

Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:47 pm

No-one "let slip" the new Banners "before we were ready". A News post was published at the same time they went live. Nations don't receive a notification of a new News post until they next log in, so currently logged in nations wouldn't have seen the News post prior to receiving notifications about unlocking new Banners.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:21 am

Sedgistan wrote:Nations don't receive a notification of a new News post until they next log in,
This is probably something that should be fixed. Preferably before the new tech mods finish probation...

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?