NATION

PASSWORD

A Matter of Pride

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Hukhalia
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 31, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Hukhalia » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:53 am

Diarcesia wrote:
Hukhalia wrote:I feel like anyone who draws this conclusion from a pride parade has never really participated in one and/or lacks many resolutely queer friends

My impression is that those who take part in pride parades are a subset of the larger LGBT community. It's like a bunch of heterosexual people into BDSM shows up in the streets and say they partake in BDSM and like it, as a rough comparison. And we know only a subset of heterosexuals (and LGBT) are into BDSM.

bdsm is a kink, being gay isn't
"It was this alone that drew so many Europeans to colonial North America: the dream in the settler mind of each man becoming a petty lord of his own land. Thus, the tradition of individualism and egalitarianism in America was rooted in the poisoned concept of equal privileges for a new nation of European conquerors." J. Sakai

an advocate of total warfare against heterosexual society, any/all

Diarcesia
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 21, 2016
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Diarcesia » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:53 am

Necroghastia wrote:
Diarcesia wrote:That's their prerogative and I have nothing against them holding pride parades if they're not hurting anyone else. It's just that personally there's more to being you and what you can like about yourself than just the color of your skin, nationality, sexual orientation, etc.

Do you genuinely think people are unaware of that.

It seems like you assume I don't want to see pride parades at all.

Diarcesia
Negotiator

Postby Diarcesia » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:54 am

Hukhalia wrote:
Diarcesia wrote:My impression is that those who take part in pride parades are a subset of the larger LGBT community. It's like a bunch of heterosexual people into BDSM shows up in the streets and say they partake in BDSM and like it, as a rough comparison. And we know only a subset of heterosexuals (and LGBT) are into BDSM.

bdsm is a kink, being gay isn't

I mean you can be gay and choose not to attend a pride parade. It doesn't make you "not gay".

Hukhalia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Hukhalia » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:56 am

Diarcesia wrote:
Hukhalia wrote:bdsm is a kink, being gay isn't

I mean you can be gay and choose not to attend a pride parade. It doesn't make you "not gay".

Still doesn't change the fact that BDSM as positioned in relation to LGBT is functionally a false equivalence
"It was this alone that drew so many Europeans to colonial North America: the dream in the settler mind of each man becoming a petty lord of his own land. Thus, the tradition of individualism and egalitarianism in America was rooted in the poisoned concept of equal privileges for a new nation of European conquerors." J. Sakai

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:58 am

Diarcesia wrote:
Necroghastia wrote:Do you genuinely think people are unaware of that.

It’s not an unreasonable conclusion to draw when someone starts parroting far-right talking points about how it’s only a certain element who goes to Pride parades, how they have no identity but their sexuality, and compares LGBT people to BDSM enthusiasts
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

Diarcesia
Negotiator

Postby Diarcesia » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:58 am

Hukhalia wrote:
Diarcesia wrote:I mean you can be gay and choose not to attend a pride parade. It doesn't make you "not gay".

Still doesn't change the fact that BDSM as positioned in relation to LGBT is functionally a false equivalence

I concede it's a bad analogy and I'm really looking for a better substitute.

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Founded: May 11, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:00 am

Diarcesia wrote:
Necroghastia wrote:Do you genuinely think people are unaware of that.

Funny talk about assumptions, coming from the one assuming that if people go to Comic-Con and similar events they're all basement dwelling weebs and nothing else.
The Land of Spooky Scary Skeletons!

Pronouns: she/her

Diarcesia
Negotiator

Postby Diarcesia » Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:03 am

Senkaku wrote:
Diarcesia wrote:It seems like you assume I don't want to see pride parades at all.

It’s not an unreasonable conclusion to draw when someone starts parroting far-right talking points about how it’s only a certain element who goes to Pride parades, how they have no identity but their sexuality, and compares LGBT people to BDSM enthusiasts

The only thing that I like some clarity is, "is having to go to Pride parades a requirement to be LGBT and accepted as such?"

That's like saying heterosexuals have to adhere to the subtler stereotypes of being heterosexual to be considered one.

Diarcesia
Negotiator

Postby Diarcesia » Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:04 am

Necroghastia wrote:
Diarcesia wrote:It seems like you assume I don't want to see pride parades at all.

Funny talk about assumptions, coming from the one assuming that if people go to Comic-Con and similar events they're all basement dwelling weebs and nothing else.

And where did I say that?

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:06 am

Diarcesia wrote:
Senkaku wrote:It’s not an unreasonable conclusion to draw when someone starts parroting far-right talking points about how it’s only a certain element who goes to Pride parades, how they have no identity but their sexuality, and compares LGBT people to BDSM enthusiasts

The only thing that I like some clarity is, "is having to go to Pride parades a requirement to be LGBT and accepted as such?"

No one has ever said this. I have no idea where you heard it or why you’re asking it.

That's like saying heterosexuals have to adhere to the subtler stereotypes of being heterosexual to be considered one.

I mean, okay? Would you like to join us in reality, or keep making up positions to misrepresent and slander LGBT people and Pride celebrations?
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

Diarcesia
Negotiator

Postby Diarcesia » Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:07 am

Senkaku wrote:
Diarcesia wrote:The only thing that I like some clarity is, "is having to go to Pride parades a requirement to be LGBT and accepted as such?"

No one has ever said this. I have no idea where you heard it or why you’re asking it.

I mean, okay? Would you like to join us in reality, or keep making up positions to misrepresent and slander LGBT people and Pride celebrations?

If I'm not already in reality, how do I join it?

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Founded: May 11, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:12 am

Diarcesia wrote:
Necroghastia wrote:Funny talk about assumptions, coming from the one assuming that if people go to Comic-Con and similar events they're all basement dwelling weebs and nothing else.

And where did I say that?

It is in essence the same thing as saying people that go to pride parades only have their sexuality for a personality. Understand why that's ridiculous now?
Last edited by Necroghastia on Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Land of Spooky Scary Skeletons!

Pronouns: she/her

Diarcesia
Negotiator

Postby Diarcesia » Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:12 am

Senkaku wrote:
Diarcesia wrote:The only thing that I like some clarity is, "is having to go to Pride parades a requirement to be LGBT and accepted as such?"

As Nechroghastia mentioned a few posts ago:
...assuming that if people go to Comic-Con and similar events they're all basement dwelling weebs and nothing else.

I don't hold that assumption, though it's not difficult to find that sentiment elsewhere. Therefore, to me, it stands to reason that an equivalent opinion exists regards to LGBT; it's a big reason why a lot get triggered by Pride events. I don't hold that assumption, either.

But I may just be psychoanalyzing too much.

Diarcesia
Negotiator

Postby Diarcesia » Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:17 am

Necroghastia wrote:
Diarcesia wrote:And where did I say that?

It is in essence the same thing as saying people that go to pride parades only have their sexuality for a personality. Understand why that's ridiculous now?

Okay, I see where you're coming from.

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 02, 2018
Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:34 pm

Indomitable Friendship wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:Pride is one of the seven deadly sins.

Do you think Pride parades are corny?

i think they are victory rallies endorsed by the power structure
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Diarcesia
Negotiator

Postby Diarcesia » Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:52 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:
Indomitable Friendship wrote:Do you think Pride parades are corny?

You mean like Mother's Day or how diamond rings are normalized in engagements and marriages?

Hukhalia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Hukhalia » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:04 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:

The heterosexuals have managed to puppeteer LGBTQ militancy and transform it into something harmless. Pride parades should be marching on banks and legislatures, currently they are directionless like the shattered remains of the once strong movement behind them. It's not "victory parades" by queer people, it's an act of consistent and appalling puppetry on behalf of the deeply hetero establishment.

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:42 am

Bear Stearns wrote:

Oh yeah, we're super victorious. Not like there have been laws passed this year that have banned LGBTQ from being mentioned in public schools and mandated the outing of trans kids to bigoted parents who might literally fucking kill them.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

Fidimouni
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 30, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Fidimouni » Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:46 am

Page wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:

Oh yeah, we're super victorious. Not like there have been laws passed this year that have banned LGBTQ from being mentioned in public schools and mandated the outing of trans kids to bigoted parents who might literally fucking kill them.

You don't understand though, my friend! It's a victory rally, really!

..What's a "Obergefell v. Hodges" and why is it being reconsidered again? /s
For peace, social solidarity, and democracy in our time. He/Him. Famed unibrow haver.
Call me Fiddle if you want. It's a cool name I think.

"Anyway, like I was sayin', shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. There's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That..that's about it."

Islamic Essarn
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 25, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Islamic Essarn » Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:39 am

Fidimouni wrote:
Page wrote:

You don't understand though, my friend! It's a victory rally, really!

..What's a "Obergefell v. Hodges" and why is it being reconsidered again? /s

To answer you first question : It was the Supreme Court case that legalized gay marriage.
To answer your second question(has two parts) :
1 : the republicans look like their questioning it.
2 : the logic used two overturn roe v wade could be applied to gay marriage (i.e, its based on the right to privacy which is being questioned)

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General