NATION

PASSWORD

[Abortion Thread] (POLL 4) A compromising position...

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What would you consider to be the best 'compromise'?

Reduce abortions with welfare supports / other non-invasive measures, leave access untouched.
33%
Set conditions under which abortions can be accessed.
21%
Allow free access, under a given time limit.
9%
Allow free access, but give men an option to excuse themselves from child support.
10%
HELL WITH COMPROMISE, IT'S MY WAY OR THE HIGHWAY!
21%
Look out! They're here! Pink Elephants on Parade! Here they come, hippity hoppity!
5%

Total votes : 401

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Founded: May 11, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:12 am

Elwher wrote:
Necroghastia wrote:FOURTEENTH FUCKING AMENDMENT
JESUS

"No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

What that says is that the States may not abridge those rights granted by the Federal government. It does not say what those rights are; the Constitution and the Federal statutes do that. Nowhere in either the Constitution or the Federal code is the right to a medical procedure granted, therefore the 14th does not apply here.

"nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property,"
if that isn't the right to do with your own fucking body as you please what the actual fuck is
READ, DAMN IT.
The Land of Spooky Scary Skeletons!

Pronouns: she/her

Sorci
Envoy

Founded: Jan 07, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Sorci » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:13 am

Elwher wrote:
Necroghastia wrote:FOURTEENTH FUCKING AMENDMENT
JESUS

"No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

What that says is that the States may not abridge those rights granted by the Federal government. It does not say what those rights are; the Constitution and the Federal statutes do that. Nowhere in either the Constitution or the Federal code is the right to a medical procedure granted, therefore the 14th does not apply here.

However, the 9th amendment states that "The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people." This directly states that other rights exist that aren't explicitly stated in the constitution, which offers credibility to the unenumerated rights, including the right to privacy, and by proxy, the right to an abortion.
Arms Dealing, Blockade Running, Black Market Procurement, Mercenary Contracting. We get you what you want, where you want it, for a price.
We also chose to not sign anti-piracy laws for a reason, it'd be a shame if your cargo went missing.

SNN Local News Chief of Internal Security announces that trial of those apprehended in raid on Central Armory will be held under military jurisdiction, not civil. /// The International Economic Forum in Sorci's capital city of Teloric has been reopened after bomb threats.

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:14 am

Necroghastia wrote:
Elwher wrote:

if that isn't the right to do with your own fucking body as you please what the actual fuck is
READ, DAMN IT.

You're missing major here.

Most GOP don't view women as people or persons or citizens or etc...
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:17 am

New haven america wrote:
Necroghastia wrote:"nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property,"
READ, DAMN IT.

You're missing major here.

god fucking damn it how dumb do you think i am i am not "missing" that bullshit i do not need your smarmy ass "corrections"
it doesn't change that it's there in black and fucking white jesus christ

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:18 am

Necroghastia wrote:
New haven america wrote:You're missing major here.

god fucking damn it how dumb do you think i am i am not "missing" that bullshit i do not need your smarmy ass "corrections"

Reread my post.

Specifically the 2nd bit.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:19 am

New haven america wrote:
Necroghastia wrote:god fucking damn it how dumb do you think i am i am not "missing" that bullshit i do not need your smarmy ass "corrections"

Reread my post.

how about you reread my fucking post jesus christ I KNOW.

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:20 am

Necroghastia wrote:
New haven america wrote:Reread my post.

how about you reread my fucking post jesus christ I KNOW.

Then you'd know that it doesn't matter to most GOP members that Roe got overturned because most don't view women as people, and thus not applicable to the 14th.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Elwher
Powerbroker

Founded: May 24, 2012
Capitalizt

Postby Elwher » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:20 am

Necroghastia wrote:
Elwher wrote:

READ, DAMN IT.

Read the whole clause '...without due process of law'. Passing a law prohibiting something is due process of law.
CYNIC, n. A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be. Hence the custom among the Scythians of plucking out a cynic's eyes to improve his vision.
Ambrose Bierce

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:22 am

Elwher wrote:
Necroghastia wrote:"nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property,"
READ, DAMN IT.

Read the whole clause '...without due process of law'. Passing a law prohibiting something is due process of law.

So were the Nuremberg shit pretending to be laws legitimate?
The Holy Romangnan Empire of Ostmark
something something the sole legitimate Austria-Hungary larp'er on NS :3

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

Stellar Colonies
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 27, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Stellar Colonies » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:22 am

Floofybit wrote:Your desired society should be one where you are submissive and controlled
Primitive Communism wrote:What bodily autonomy do men need?
Techocracy101010 wrote:If she goes on a rampage those saggy wonders are as deadly as nunchucks
Parmistan wrote:It's not ALWAYS acceptable when we do it, but it's MORE acceptable when we do it.
Theodorable wrote:Jihad will win.
Distruzio wrote:All marriage outside the Church is gay marriage.
Khardsland wrote:Terrorism in its original definition is a good thing.
I try to be objective, but I do have some biases.

North Californian.
Stellar Colonies is a loose galactic confederacy.

The Confederacy & the WA.

Add 1200 years.

Elwher
Powerbroker

Founded: May 24, 2012
Capitalizt

Postby Elwher » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:23 am

Sorci wrote:
Elwher wrote:

However, the 9th amendment states that "The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people." This directly states that other rights exist that aren't explicitly stated in the constitution, which offers credibility to the unenumerated rights, including the right to privacy, and by proxy, the right to an abortion.

But the 10th states that "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people." Nowhere in the Constitution is the power to regulate medical procedures delegated to the United States, nor is that power prohibitted to the states. Therefore, absent Federal law or amendment, the states have that power.
CYNIC, n. A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be. Hence the custom among the Scythians of plucking out a cynic's eyes to improve his vision.
Ambrose Bierce

Sorci
Envoy

Founded: Jan 07, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Sorci » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:28 am

Elwher wrote:
Sorci wrote:However, the 9th amendment states that "The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people." This directly states that other rights exist that aren't explicitly stated in the constitution, which offers credibility to the unenumerated rights, including the right to privacy, and by proxy, the right to an abortion.

But the 10th states that "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people." Nowhere in the Constitution is the power to regulate medical procedures delegated to the United States, nor is that power prohibitted to the states. Therefore, absent Federal law or amendment, the states have that power.

A medical procedure which is grouped in under the right to privacy, which is something the federal government can enforce based off of interpretations of the 14th amendment, an interpretation agreed to just the same as the incorporation of the bill of rights was to the states after the civil war.
Arms Dealing, Blockade Running, Black Market Procurement, Mercenary Contracting. We get you what you want, where you want it, for a price.
We also chose to not sign anti-piracy laws for a reason, it'd be a shame if your cargo went missing.

SNN Local News Chief of Internal Security announces that trial of those apprehended in raid on Central Armory will be held under military jurisdiction, not civil. /// The International Economic Forum in Sorci's capital city of Teloric has been reopened after bomb threats.

Stellar Colonies
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 27, 2017

Postby Stellar Colonies » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:40 am

Stellar Colonies wrote:
Texas AG Ken Paxton celebrates abortion ruling by declaring agency holiday (Dallas News)

Attorney General Ken Paxton made June 24 an agency holiday to mark the Supreme Court decision to overturn Roe v. Wade and “commemorate the sanctity of life.”
AUSTIN — Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton declared an agency holiday Friday to celebrate the U.S. Supreme Court’s decision to overturn Roe v. Wade.

In a news release commenting on the ruling, Paxton said June 24 will now be an agency holiday “in recognition of this momentous decision.” To mark the day, he closed the office and sent most of his 4,000 employee agency home.

According to an internal memo obtained by The Dallas Morning News, staff are required to stop working at noon.

“Today we celebrate life and the protection of the unborn with the U.S. Supreme Court’s reversal of Roe v. Wade,” First Assistant Attorney General Brent Webster wrote. “Going forward, today will be an annual agency holiday to commemorate the sanctity of life.”

Employees required to work from home “due to non-discretionary reasons” must request approval to do so from Webster and coordinate with human resources “if approval is granted,” the memo added. Staff who must work will receive comp time, employees were told.

Paxton, a Republican, is up for re-election this year. He faces Democrat Rochelle Garza in the November general election.

Paxton has the power to release his employees, a former agency head told The News. This authority is usually exercised around the holidays or, on a more limited basis, to respond to extreme weather events, they said.

“I don’t know of anything that prevents him from doing so,” said Claire Bow, the former head of the State Office of Risk Management. “I cannot think of another example of the AG’s office closing and declaring an office holiday for a court ruling. That’s unprecedented to everything I know.”

The ruling in Dobbs v. Jackson, which was released Friday morning, struck down the Roe ruling creating a constitutional right to access abortion.

In 2021, Texas lawmakers passed a so-called trigger law to essentially outlaw abortion. The law will go into effect in 30 days; in the meantime, the state’s six week abortion ban remains in place.
Floofybit wrote:Your desired society should be one where you are submissive and controlled
Primitive Communism wrote:What bodily autonomy do men need?
Techocracy101010 wrote:If she goes on a rampage those saggy wonders are as deadly as nunchucks
Parmistan wrote:It's not ALWAYS acceptable when we do it, but it's MORE acceptable when we do it.
Theodorable wrote:Jihad will win.
Distruzio wrote:All marriage outside the Church is gay marriage.
Khardsland wrote:Terrorism in its original definition is a good thing.
I try to be objective, but I do have some biases.

North Californian.
Stellar Colonies is a loose galactic confederacy.

The Confederacy & the WA.

Add 1200 years.

Crazy girl
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Mother Knows Best State

Postby Crazy girl » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:44 am

READ, DAMN IT.

Necroghastia wrote:god fucking damn it how dumb do you think i am i am not "missing" that bullshit i do not need your smarmy ass "corrections"

Necroghastia wrote:how about you reread my fucking post jesus christ I KNOW.

Tone it down a bit with the swearing.

Stagnant Axon Terminal
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Stagnant Axon Terminal » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:47 am

This is the worst timeline. I'm both devastated and unsurprised that the court justices decided to declare that we don't deserve rights.
TET's resident state assessment exam
My sworn enemy is the Toyota 4Runner
I scream a lot.
Also, I'm gonna fuck your girlfriend.
Nanatsu No Tsuki wrote:the fetus will never eat cake if you abort it

Cu Math wrote:Axon is like a bear with a PH.D. She debates at first, then eats your face.
The Empire of Pretantia wrote:THE MAN'S PENIS HAS LEFT THE VAGINA. IT'S THE UTERUS'S TURN TO SHINE.

Jewish Underground State
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 08, 2022

Postby Jewish Underground State » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:48 am

Stellar Colonies wrote:
Stellar Colonies wrote:
Texas AG Ken Paxton celebrates abortion ruling by declaring agency holiday (Dallas News)

Attorney General Ken Paxton made June 24 an agency holiday to mark the Supreme Court decision to overturn Roe v. Wade and “commemorate the sanctity of life.”
AUSTIN — Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton declared an agency holiday Friday to celebrate the U.S. Supreme Court’s decision to overturn Roe v. Wade.

In a news release commenting on the ruling, Paxton said June 24 will now be an agency holiday “in recognition of this momentous decision.” To mark the day, he closed the office and sent most of his 4,000 employee agency home.

According to an internal memo obtained by The Dallas Morning News, staff are required to stop working at noon.

“Today we celebrate life and the protection of the unborn with the U.S. Supreme Court’s reversal of Roe v. Wade,” First Assistant Attorney General Brent Webster wrote. “Going forward, today will be an annual agency holiday to commemorate the sanctity of life.”

Employees required to work from home “due to non-discretionary reasons” must request approval to do so from Webster and coordinate with human resources “if approval is granted,” the memo added. Staff who must work will receive comp time, employees were told.

Paxton, a Republican, is up for re-election this year. He faces Democrat Rochelle Garza in the November general election.

Paxton has the power to release his employees, a former agency head told The News. This authority is usually exercised around the holidays or, on a more limited basis, to respond to extreme weather events, they said.

“I don’t know of anything that prevents him from doing so,” said Claire Bow, the former head of the State Office of Risk Management. “I cannot think of another example of the AG’s office closing and declaring an office holiday for a court ruling. That’s unprecedented to everything I know.”

The ruling in Dobbs v. Jackson, which was released Friday morning, struck down the Roe ruling creating a constitutional right to access abortion.

In 2021, Texas lawmakers passed a so-called trigger law to essentially outlaw abortion. The law will go into effect in 30 days; in the meantime, the state’s six week abortion ban remains in place.

We can't be surprised by this anymore.
My new main is Jewish Partisan Division

The beliefs posted by this nation don't reflect my current views.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:00 am

Rolling the "Supreme Court Overturns Roe v. Wade" thread into this one would put this one over the 500-page limit, I'm locking this and making that thread the new "[Abortion Thread]".
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:05 am

Stagnant Axon Terminal wrote:This is the worst timeline. I'm both devastated and unsurprised that the court justices decided to declare that we don't deserve rights.

Considering how many were rammed in at the last moment, when Merritt Garland was rejected because A YEAR was too close to the end of Obama's presidency for him to get a pick?

This is tyranny. This is fascism. And half the population has lost the right to self-determination.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General