NATION

PASSWORD

Looking For Technical Moderator(s) [Now found!]

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Makko Oko
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 20, 2018
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Makko Oko » Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:35 am

The Black Forrest wrote:
Makko Oko wrote:
I see one problem with what you've stated, and that's that you used Perl for McAfee. Not to laugh, but McAfee's a joke lol, everybody knows it. But in all seriousness, if you don't mind me asking, why exactly were you using Perl for a commercial product and how deep and extensive was your knowledge?

More automation was planned and then one day we found out the contracts also included the management console (sighs). I pulled the plug on the scripts as it made sense to use the products console rather then the scripts. Especially after we pretty much killed the worm.

If that were me coding those Perl scripts, I'd be livid wondering who in Legal neglected to tell IT about that clause haha. Sorry that happened!
OBC Current News: First-Ever Anti-Terrorism Act Enacted | Emperor launches plans to expand trade | Danika Hicks Case: NOT GUILTY VERDICT! Court rules 3-2
Information:
IIWiki Factbooks
NS Factbooks

NOTE: This nation does not reflect my real beliefs in any way, shape or form

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:23 pm

Makko Oko wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:
More automation was planned and then one day we found out the contracts also included the management console (sighs). I pulled the plug on the scripts as it made sense to use the products console rather then the scripts. Especially after we pretty much killed the worm.

If that were me coding those Perl scripts, I'd be livid wondering who in Legal neglected to tell IT about that clause haha. Sorry that happened!

It was a little annoying and yet it was….fun…. Got to study a worm in action; use Perl to solve a problem; network and filer scanning. It also taught me to validate software owned as sometimes people only grab what they needed. My last company; I found they had many subscriptions to MSDN. About 20% of the licenses were used. Turned that around quick. When to about 110% utilization.

Anyway. Always fun in the engineering world…..
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

The Democratic Nation of Unovia
Minister

Founded: Jun 26, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Democratic Nation of Unovia » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:44 am

Hey Folks!
I have been in this game for 10 Years...love it still.

I want to be in the technical moderation because I wrote a few guides on putting pictures in Factbooks that people still use. I am going for my Google IT certification currently. Am not used to Perl, but I am a fast learner, and can adapt quickly.

I would love to actually be able to include real experience with NS on a resume.
Minister of Operations of New World Union! TG me for Regional Information!
As a Map Maker, I help many Regions Current Region assisting: NextGen Roleplay.
If you want my assistance with Real World Maps, please TG me.
Loyal to New World Union

The Orwell Society
Minister

Founded: Apr 16, 2022
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Orwell Society » Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:10 pm

The Democratic Nation of Unovia wrote:Hey Folks!

I want to be in the technical moderation because I wrote a few guides on putting pictures in Factbooks that people still use. I am going for my Google IT certification currently. Am not used to Perl, but I am a fast learner, and can adapt quickly.

I would love to actually be able to include real experience with NS on a resume.

Unovia, I do believe that you are much too soft to take on the role of a mod. Plus, you would need to be far more active than you are currently. And they need people who already are fluent in Perl.
The Orwell Society
Straight Male | Political Alignment: Centrist leaning conservative | NSGP Alignment: Independent | Proud Wellspringer, join The Wellspring today!

A vision without action is just a daydream

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:32 pm

The Orwell Society wrote:
The Democratic Nation of Unovia wrote:Hey Folks!

Unovia, I do believe that you are much too soft to take on the role of a mod. Plus, you would need to be far more active than you are currently. And they need people who already are fluent in Perl.

I don't remember when you were appointed as a moderator and could tell people what the requirements were. The OP says 'Willing to learn and work in Perl', which implies that applicants don't have to be fluent in it.

Unovia, if you think you would make a good technical mod, you should submit an application.

(Also not a mod)
Last edited by Honeydewistania on Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

The Orwell Society
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Orwell Society » Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:49 pm

Honeydewistania wrote:
The Orwell Society wrote:Unovia, I do believe that you are much too soft to take on the role of a mod. Plus, you would need to be far more active than you are currently. And they need people who already are fluent in Perl.

I don't remember when you were appointed as a moderator and could tell people what the requirements were. The OP says 'Willing to learn and work in Perl', which implies that applicants don't have to be fluent in it.

Unovia, if you think you would make a good technical mod, you should submit an application.

(Also not a mod)

I apologize. I misread the thread, but I know Unovia and I did not mean to seem modish when I made that statement.
The Orwell Society
Straight Male | Political Alignment: Centrist leaning conservative | NSGP Alignment: Independent | Proud Wellspringer, join The Wellspring today!

Lamoni
Game Moderator

Postby Lamoni » Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:58 pm

Yeah, lets try not to sound like a mod if you're not one, okay? I don't want to hand out warnings on this, if I don't have to.
National Anthem
Resides in Greater Dienstad. (Former) Mayor of Equilism.
I'm a Senior N&I RP Mentor. Questions? TG me!
Licana on the M-21A2 MBT: "Well, it is one of the most badass tanks on NS."

Vortiaganica: Lamoni I understand fully, of course. The two (Lamoni & Lyras) are more inseparable than the Clinton family and politics.

Triplebaconation: Lamoni commands a quiet respect that carries its own authority. He is the Mandela of NS.

Part of the Meow family in Gameplay, and a GORRAM GAME MOD! My TGs are NOT for Mod Stuff.

The Orwell Society
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Orwell Society » Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:03 pm

Lamoni wrote:Yeah, lets try not to sound like a mod if you're not one, okay? I don't want to hand out warnings on this, if I don't have to.

Once again, I apologize. It was not meant that way.
The Orwell Society

Socianesia
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 29, 2021
Ex-Nation

Where is my telegram

Postby Socianesia » Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:34 pm

Greetings there moderator i have 1 question where the heck is my telegram!?. Yesterday i write an issue it say that the moderator will send telegram. But i dont the telegram.

-socianesia

Comfed
Minister

Founded: Apr 09, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Comfed » Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:39 pm

Socianesia wrote:Greetings there moderator i have 1 question where the heck is my telegram!?. Yesterday i write an issue it say that the moderator will send telegram. But i dont the telegram.

-socianesia

You will only receive a telegram if your issue is accepted, which is not a given, and even if it is it could take a while. I note that this is off-topic and should be asked in this forum: viewforum.php?f=13 :)

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:52 pm

Comfed wrote:
Socianesia wrote:Greetings there moderator i have 1 question where the heck is my telegram!?. Yesterday i write an issue it say that the moderator will send telegram. But i dont the telegram.

-socianesia

You will only receive a telegram if your issue is accepted, which is not a given, and even if it is it could take a while. I note that this is off-topic and should be asked in this forum: viewforum.php?f=13 :)

Maybe they meant "issue" as in a problem that they reported by GHR?
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Lamoni
Game Moderator

Postby Lamoni » Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:59 pm

I appreciate that you're trying to be helpful, but let's not drag this thread off topic, okay? Thanks!
National Anthem
Resides in Greater Dienstad. (Former) Mayor of Equilism.
I'm a Senior N&I RP Mentor. Questions? TG me!
Licana on the M-21A2 MBT: "Well, it is one of the most badass tanks on NS."

Vortiaganica: Lamoni I understand fully, of course. The two (Lamoni & Lyras) are more inseparable than the Clinton family and politics.

Triplebaconation: Lamoni commands a quiet respect that carries its own authority. He is the Mandela of NS.

Part of the Meow family in Gameplay, and a GORRAM GAME MOD! My TGs are NOT for Mod Stuff.

West Bromwich Holme
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby West Bromwich Holme » Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:16 am

Is it OK that I have some knowledge of CSS and DIVs etc. but am not technical in the sense of doing Perl and runtimes etc.?
I could help out as a technical mod in this regard.
Formerly Astholm. I am no longer using the account Astholm.

3 Islands Of The East Pacific
Civilian

Founded: Aug 02, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby 3 Islands Of The East Pacific » Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:17 pm

Would sign up
One Warning i forgot what happened
but long ago.

Pros: A Casual Person
Complies With justice.
Knows HTML
Cons: Born with ADHD and autism
Gets angry easily,
Learning CSS
Reply to this, If you want.
Last edited by 3 Islands Of The East Pacific on Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:44 pm

Sedgistan wrote:If you are interested in this role, or you wish to nominate someone for it, please contact us via Getting Help Request. If you are nominating someone, please make sure they are interested first.

Don't apply in the thread. Please use the instructions I quoted or read the OP again.
The Blaatschapen should resign

Danternoust
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 20, 2019
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Danternoust » Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:02 pm

Currently unemployed, prefer to be considered anonymous (in terms of resume), and I pretty sure I can understand code. If not permitted to edit, I can also attempt to document the code, it will certain save you folks money. Naturally this is out of kindness and respect to a community I've been with for a long time.

Timmy City
Minister

Founded: Feb 16, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Timmy City » Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:53 pm

Does the team slack or teams for communication?
Hurricane Matthew 2016!

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:38 am

Timmy City wrote:Does the team slack or teams for communication?

Neither. Forums + Discord.

In case anyone is interested, we've received around 25 applications or nominations so far (most are applications). That excludes a small number that amounted to nothing more than "I would like to apply to be Technical Moderator" with no supporting information, which have been dismissed.

Applications are continuing to come in. However, the mod team have also started the process of reviewing existing applications prior to passing some recommendations on to the admin team to review/progress.

Diplomat

Founded: Oct 25, 2012
Corporate Police State

Postby 9003 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:18 am

Sedgistan wrote:
Timmy City wrote:Does the team slack or teams for communication?

Neither. Forums + Discord.

In case anyone is interested, we've received around 25 applications or nominations so far (most are applications). That excludes a small number that amounted to nothing more than "I would like to apply to be Technical Moderator" with no supporting information, which have been dismissed.

Applications are continuing to come in. However, the mod team have also started the process of reviewing existing applications prior to passing some recommendations on to the admin team to review/progress.

Out of further curiosity will those rejected (that have valid apps) be told that the team went with someone else?

I do greatly appreciate the transparency with this endeavor and hope that it continues.
proud member of PETZ people for the Ethical Treatment of Zombies

Active member of The cards market place discord

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:43 am

9003 wrote:Out of further curiosity will those rejected (that have valid apps) be told that the team went with someone else?

I do greatly appreciate the transparency with this endeavor and hope that it continues.

Maybe. At present, things are open ended - we don't know when applications will close (if ever?) and we don't know how many people we will take on (if any, though hopefully we will). So there's not necessarily a clear point when someone is definitively rejected. I'd like to hope we do have a finish point when we feel we have who we want on board, and if/when we get there, I intend to let everyone know.

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:21 pm

Just wanted to thank everyone who's applied so far. The applications have been overwhelming -- so many smart, talented people. I really appreciate the interest and enthusiasm.

Republiek van Suid Afrika
Civil Servant

Founded: Dec 15, 2012
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Republiek van Suid Afrika » Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:16 pm

Drawbacks aside, Perl wasnt really bad. You could do cool stuff with it like load a whole webpage into an undefined variable as if a string then print. literally something like $variable1 = "<html>whole page here of many characters"; print $variable1.
or load template file the site designer made to a variable then substitute/replace certain values before printing.

php on the other hand seemed messy with mixing code right into a html page which can easily be broken by the site designing adding graphics, and required rewrites depending on php version or sometimes the host had issues with that etc.

Alas, no, I'm not applying, been a while since I wrked webdev, more in tech support and gametesting that take most free time and have own forum groups to moderate on say steam. when a student, you have lots of free time. but when working full-time free time become a luxury. I gather one of requirements would be activity/time.

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 28, 2015

Postby Socio Polor » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:31 pm

Republiek van Suid Afrika wrote: when a student, you have lots of free time.

**Finals Roll Up** "Are you Sure About That???"

https://i.imgur.com/MfE9NpF.gif
Last edited by Socio Polor on Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Orwell Society
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Orwell Society » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:10 am

Republiek van Suid Afrika wrote:Drawbacks aside, Perl wasnt really bad. You could do cool stuff with it like load a whole webpage into an undefined variable as if a string then print. literally something like $variable1 = "<html>whole page here of many characters"; print $variable1.
or load template file the site designer made to a variable then substitute/replace certain values before printing.

php on the other hand seemed messy with mixing code right into a html page which can easily be broken by the site designing adding graphics, and required rewrites depending on php version or sometimes the host had issues with that etc.

Alas, no, I'm not applying, been a while since I wrked webdev, more in tech support and gametesting that take most free time and have own forum groups to moderate on say steam. when a student, you have lots of free time. but when working full-time free time become a luxury. I gather one of requirements would be activity/time.

Perl seems to be rather underappreciated, to be honest.
The Orwell Society

Aursi
Minister

Founded: Nov 18, 2021
Corporate Police State

Postby Aursi » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:07 pm

I think Dexterra would do great as an mod. He is very active. He always identifies the bad and reports it. If I had to make one suggestion, it would be Dexterra.
Founder and Co-Founder of
ATO UCN SMOL
UADC GENA FA
GADN PESTO ULIBOR
IAD OAMC SUSS
Founded: 19.11.1975
Capital: Aurtumn
Chancellor: Fedor Sorokin
Population: 75 Million
GDP: 6@ Trillion Aursifens
Kingdom of Aursi
Freedom, Democracy, Liberty