NATION

PASSWORD

Reppy's Sig Workshop - A guide to building forum sigs

Who needs it, who got it, who hands it out and why.

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Orwell Society
Minister

Founded: Apr 16, 2022
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Orwell Society » Wed May 25, 2022 6:04 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:
The Orwell Society wrote:Why isn't the quote tag working in my sig (check nested spoiler)?

Bendicion needed to be "Bendicion" (in quotes).

Thanks!
The Orwell Society
Straight Male | Political Alignment: Centrist leaning conservative | NSGP Alignment: Independent | Proud Wellspringer, join The Wellspring today!

A vision without action is just a daydream

Random Country 453632
Envoy

Founded: Jun 09, 2020
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Is this signature okay?

Postby Random Country 453632 » Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:39 am

Code: Select all
[floatleft][b][background=red][color=#FFFF00]Random[/color][/background][background=#F1E700][color=#010101]Country[/color][/background][background=#000000][color=#FF0000]453632[/color][/background][/b]
The Randomest* (???) country in all of the Pacific![/floatleft]
[floatright]My IC name is 'Randomia' (not to be confused with [url=https://www.nationstates.net/randomia]this Randomia[/url]
[pre]Location: [region]the Pacific[/region] || WA Member: Yes || Activity: Sometimes[/pre][/floatright]

[size=69]*in terms of having Random in its name or not[/size]

The above code is what I plan to be my newly modified Signature. As I have been warned about my signature being too long, I am here to ask: Is this okay, or does it need to be shortened?
edit: I am looking for a Mod or staff member to answer my question
Last edited by Random Country 453632 on Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
RandomCountry453632
Local news: 2024 national spit-at-a-bat contest postponed due to recent incident of bats projectile-vomiting at two people
Random Guy makes controversial statement about the S key of his computer

Trivalve
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 17, 2021
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Trivalve » Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:42 am

I tested it in dispatch quickly and it seems to be a reasonable size
Minister of On-Site Events the South Pacific, Delegates Advisory Council the South Pacific, Founder and Head ISO of Crimson Spire, former Local Councillor of the South Pacific, Creator and Head of the Regional Development program, former Deputy Councillor of the South Pacific.

Random Country 453632
Envoy

Postby Random Country 453632 » Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:44 am

Trivalve wrote:I tested it in dispatch quickly and it seems to be a reasonable size

Okay. I am wondering if it would be acceptable to add without taking up too much space, as that is the exact reason why the mods told me to shorten it 2 times :(
RandomCountry453632
Local news: 2024 national spit-at-a-bat contest postponed due to recent incident of bats projectile-vomiting at two people

Trivalve
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 17, 2021
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Trivalve » Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:46 am

Random Country 453632 wrote:
Trivalve wrote:I tested it in dispatch quickly and it seems to be a reasonable size

Okay. I am wondering if it would be acceptable to add without taking up too much space, as that is the exact reason why the mods told me to shorten it 2 times :(

It is only 2 lines long, I don't see why this new one would break the limit
Minister of On-Site Events the South Pacific, Delegates Advisory Council the South Pacific, Founder and Head ISO of Crimson Spire, former Local Councillor of the South Pacific, Creator and Head of the Regional Development program, former Deputy Councillor of the South Pacific.

-Astoria-
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 27, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby -Astoria- » Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:46 am

[floatleft][b][background=red][color=#FFFF00]Random[/color][/background][background=#F1E700][color=#010101]Country[/color][/background][background=#000000][color=#FF0000]453632[/color][/background][/b]
[floatright]My IC name is 'Randomia' (not to be confused with [url=https://www.nationstates.net/randomia]this Randomia[/url]
[pre]Location: [region]the Pacific[/region] || WA Member: Yes || Activity: Sometimes[/pre][/floatright]

The above code is what I plan to be my newly modified Signature. As I have been warned about my signature being too long, I am here to ask: Is this okay, or does it need to be shortened?

This thread is more appropriate for your question.
                                                      Republic of Astoria | Pobolieth Asdair                                                      
Bedhent cewsel ein gweisiau | Our deeds shall speak
IC: FactbooksLocationEmbassiesFAQIntegrity | OOC: CCL's VP • 9th in NSFB#110/10: DGES
 ⌜✉⌟ TV1 News | 2023-04-11  ▶ ⬤──────── (LIVE) |  Headlines  Winter out; spring in for public parks • Environment ministry announces A₤300m in renewables subsidies • "Not enough," say unions on A₤24m planned Govt cost-of-living salary supplement |  Weather  Liskerry ⛅ 13° • Altas ⛅ 10° • Esterpine ☀ 11° • Naltgybal ☁ 14° • Ceirtryn ⛅ 19° • Bynscel ☀ 11° • Lyteel ☔ 9° |  Traffic  ROADWORKS: WRE expwy towards Port Trelyn closed; use Routes P294 northbound; P83 southbound 

Random Country 453632
Envoy

Postby Random Country 453632 » Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:58 am

-Astoria- wrote:

This thread is more appropriate for your question.

Ah okay, thanks!
RandomCountry453632

Random Country 453632
Envoy

Postby Random Country 453632 » Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:03 am

[align=right][floatright][spoiler=stuff]My IC name is 'Randomia' (not to be confused with [url=https://www.nationstates.net/randomia]this Randomia[/url]
[pre]Location: [region]the Pacific[/region] || WA Member: Yes || Activity: Sometimes[/pre][/spoiler][/floatright][/align][b][background=red][color=#FFFF00]Random[/color][/background][background=#F1E700][color=#010101]Country[/color][/background][background=#000000][color=#FF0000]453632[/color][/background][/b]
The Randomest* (???) country in all of the Pacific!

My IC name is 'Randomia' (not to be confused with this Randomia
Location: the Pacific || WA Member: Yes || Activity: Sometimes
RandomCountry453632
The Randomest* (???) country in all of the Pacific!
*in terms of having Random in its name or not

Is this sig acceptable?
RandomCountry453632

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:42 am

Random Country 453632 wrote:Is this sig acceptable?

It's not all that complicated. If it's within the allotted 8 lines and doesn't break any other site rules (like flaming or trolling), it's probably fine. I don't care for the garish use of background colors, but that's my preference, not a rule.

Orlesian States
Envoy

Founded: Jun 09, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Orlesian States » Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:40 am

Honest thoughts on my sig? I'm new here, and I don't know much about bbcode, but I promise that I'm trying my best, just don't make fun of me, aha...

[blocktext][nation]Orlesian States[/nation] [url=https://open.spotify.com/artist/6OFzbTZrKWzYxnfRNlRdvr?si=bYmRM3ZgQDeUrICUpFsqvw&nd=1][color=#FF00FF]My spotify (if you like piano!)[/color][/url] [region]The Eternal Order[/region]
[sub][color=#FF0000]The Orlesian State Punishment Division's (OSPD) Edicts.[/color][/sub]
[floatleft][b][color=#800000]Atone for the sin of weakness.[/color][/b][/floatleft]
[floatleft][b][color=#800000]The Guilty must be executed.[/color][/b][/floatleft]
[floatleft][b][color=#800000]Orlesia Demands Justice.[/color][/b][/floatleft]
[sup]I'm apolitical, I just like government/nation ideas for literaure/roleplay's sake.
I also can be inactive for long periods of time, but will get back to you if needed.[/sup][/blocktext]
The Commonwealth of Orlesian States
"Orlesia Orates; The World Listens."
"Through the remnants of a shattered Empire, and the Emperor overthrown, the Commonwealth will rise."
Latest Reports from Ministry of Information - The Commonwealth is "Coming back from a break." -Says Francois S. D'Chautee; In battling Caligula's Legion, The Commonwealth is sending additional supplies and aid to the NSAR; Orlesian Embassy construction temporarily halted; OSIF has reported a known 'black hole' within the borders of the known system;

-Astoria-
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 27, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby -Astoria- » Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:07 am

Orlesian States wrote:Honest thoughts on my sig? I'm new here, and I don't know much about bbcode, but I promise that I'm trying my best, just don't make fun of me, aha...

[blocktext][nation]Orlesian States[/nation] [url=https://open.spotify.com/artist/6OFzbTZrKWzYxnfRNlRdvr?si=bYmRM3ZgQDeUrICUpFsqvw&nd=1][color=#FF00FF]My spotify (if you like piano!)[/color][/url] [region]The Eternal Order[/region]
[sub][color=#FF0000]The Orlesian State Punishment Division's (OSPD) Edicts.[/color][/sub]
[floatleft][b][color=#800000]Atone for the sin of weakness.[/color][/b][/floatleft]
[floatleft][b][color=#800000]The Guilty must be executed.[/color][/b][/floatleft]
[floatleft][b][color=#800000]Orlesia Demands Justice.[/color][/b][/floatleft]
[sup]I'm apolitical, I just like government/nation ideas for literaure/roleplay's sake.
I also can be inactive for long periods of time, but will get back to you if needed.[/sup][/blocktext]

Obligatory /notamod caution: as mentioned above, as long as it's eight lines or less, you should be fine — yours is at seven lines on my end, incidentally.

On another note, the floatleft used seems a little redundant, as all text starts from the left by default; you can also put the colour code around the float tag to save time

just
this.
                                                      Republic of Astoria | Pobolieth Asdair                                                      
Bedhent cewsel ein gweisiau | Our deeds shall speak
IC: FactbooksLocationEmbassiesFAQIntegrity | OOC: CCL's VP • 9th in NSFB#110/10: DGES
 ⌜✉⌟ TV1 News | 2023-04-11  ▶ ⬤──────── (LIVE) |  Headlines  Winter out; spring in for public parks • Environment ministry announces A₤300m in renewables subsidies • "Not enough," say unions on A₤24m planned Govt cost-of-living salary supplement |  Weather  Liskerry ⛅ 13° • Altas ⛅ 10° • Esterpine ☀ 11° • Naltgybal ☁ 14° • Ceirtryn ⛅ 19° • Bynscel ☀ 11° • Lyteel ☔ 9° |  Traffic  ROADWORKS: WRE expwy towards Port Trelyn closed; use Routes P294 northbound; P83 southbound 

Orlesian States
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Orlesian States » Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:11 am

Oh! Thank you very much for your advice, not a mod or not, it's still very helpful, and appreciated! I'll spruce it up a bit. :)
"Through the remnants of a shattered Empire, and the Emperor overthrown, the Commonwealth will rise."
Latest Reports from Ministry of Information - The Commonwealth is "Coming back from a break." -Says Francois S. D'Chautee; In battling Caligula's Legion, The Commonwealth is sending additional supplies and aid to the NSAR; Orlesian Embassy construction temporarily halted; OSIF has reported a known 'black hole' within the borders of the known system;

Orlesian States
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Orlesian States » Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:12 am

I'm not really sure on what to cut down from my signature, can anyone help me? :c

Okay well, I got a moderator telegram saying my sig is too long, so I guess I'll just cut out my spoiler text in it, um..
Last edited by Orlesian States on Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Comfed
Minister

Founded: Apr 09, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Comfed » Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:09 am

Orlesian States wrote:I'm not really sure on what to cut down from my signature, can anyone help me? :c

Okay well, I got a moderator telegram saying my sig is too long, so I guess I'll just cut out my spoiler text in it, um..

I would recommend getting rid of the italicized quotes in your sig - that should shorten it enough.

Orlesian States
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Orlesian States » Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:20 am

Is it okay now?

It looks too condensed, but I want to follow the lines rule, so yeah

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:54 am

Orlesian States wrote:Is it okay now?

I counted 7 lines. Getting rid of extra align tags and blank lines is often enough. One set of {align=center} tags will align multiple rows, even your whole sig.

Orlesian States
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Orlesian States » Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:49 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:
Orlesian States wrote:Is it okay now?

I counted 7 lines. Getting rid of extra align tags and blank lines is often enough. One set of {align=center} tags will align multiple rows, even your whole sig.

Well, I only have one align tag I think, and since my sig is okay, can moderators unspoil my sig? I have to unspoil it just to see it so I assume that's a mod thing...

Shazbotdom
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2004
Anarchy

Postby Shazbotdom » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:09 pm

Orlesian States wrote:
Frisbeeteria wrote:I counted 7 lines. Getting rid of extra align tags and blank lines is often enough. One set of {align=center} tags will align multiple rows, even your whole sig.

Well, I only have one align tag I think, and since my sig is okay, can moderators unspoil my sig? I have to unspoil it just to see it so I assume that's a mod thing...

You should be able to do that yourself. Just take out the

[spoiler][/spoiler]

tags
ShazWeb || IIWiki || Discord: shazbertbot || 1 x NFL Picks League Champion (2021)
CosmoCast || SISA || CCD || CrawDaddy || SCIA || COPEC || Boudreaux's || CLS || SNC || ShazAir || BHC || TWO
NHL: NYR (114) 0 - 0 WSH (91) | COL (105) 0 - 0 WPG (110) | VGK (96) 0 - 0 DAL (113)
NBA: Pelicans (6) 49-33 || NCAA MBB: Tulane 20-16 | LSU 22-15 || NCAA WSB: LSU 33-8

Orlesian States
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Orlesian States » Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:44 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:^ that.

Oh, I swear that wasn't there before, I thought it was a mod sided thing that was placed on my sig until I fixed it, sorry for not noticing, also I've been very busy in my personal life so I can't be on nationstates as much so I apologize for not noticing your replies sooner.

Shazbotdom
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2004
Anarchy

Postby Shazbotdom » Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:46 pm

Orlesian States wrote:
Frisbeeteria wrote:^ that.

Oh, I swear that wasn't there before, I thought it was a mod sided thing that was placed on my sig until I fixed it, sorry for not noticing, also I've been very busy in my personal life so I can't be on nationstates as much so I apologize for not noticing your replies sooner.

Were all here to help.
ShazWeb || IIWiki || Discord: shazbertbot || 1 x NFL Picks League Champion (2021)
CosmoCast || SISA || CCD || CrawDaddy || SCIA || COPEC || Boudreaux's || CLS || SNC || ShazAir || BHC || TWO
NHL: NYR (114) 0 - 0 WSH (91) | COL (105) 0 - 0 WPG (110) | VGK (96) 0 - 0 DAL (113)
NBA: Pelicans (6) 49-33 || NCAA MBB: Tulane 20-16 | LSU 22-15 || NCAA WSB: LSU 33-8

Hiram Land
Ambassador

Founded: May 10, 2017

Postby Hiram Land » Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:26 am

Hi there, just here and wanted to make sure my sig is legal as I have a little fear I've gone over the 8
[floatright][box][size=85][url=https://www.nationstates.net/page=display_region_rmb/region=united_forum_of_nations][b]UFN message board[/b][/url]
[url=https://www.nationstates.net/][b][u][i]OOC[/i][/u][/b][/url]
Slava Ukraini
Non-religious
Likes history and writing
male (he)
[color=#c65bf0][background=#c65bf0]u[/background][/color][color=#4c4aed][background=#4c4aed]w[/background][/color][color=#807777][background=#807777]u[/background][/color][/size][/box][/floatright][floatleft][box][size=85][b][u][i]National Information[/i][/u][/b]
[i]Unidas et Hyramalunde[/i]
[url=https://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatch/id=1495549]Nationbuilder[/url]
[url=https://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatches/nation=hiram_land]Old Dispatches[/url]
[hr][/hr]Alternate: [nation]Hiramia-Omfew[/nation][/size][/box][/floatleft][box][align=Center][color=#0047a0][background=#000000]_____[/background][background=yellow][b]  Hiram Land  [/b][/background][background=#000000]_____[/background][/color]
Commonwealth of Hiramia-Okfew[hr][/hr][size=85][i][url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMk0vaLZPWg]Visit upon this land who holds the confusing mix of the Dutch and the Hiramiae, for whom nobody understands but somehow mix together - an Indonesian and European mix upon the common brotherhood.[/url][/i]
Thank you to [nation]Nanako Island[/nation] for providing the base for the signature. [/size]
[color=#408000][i][b]Proud [url=https://www.nationstates.net/region=United%20Forum%20of%20Nations]UFN[/url] member[/b][/i][/color]
RIP UNoE and UoJ[/align][/box]
Слава Україні!
#KyrusiaSoTrue
he/him
uwu
National Information
Unidas et Hyramalunde
Nationbuilder
Old Dispatches

Alternate: Hiramia-Omfew
_____ Hiram Land _____
Hyramas or Bust!
Thank you to Nanako Island for providing help for the signature.

Proud UFN member
RIP UNoE and UoJ

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:24 pm

Hiram Land wrote: wanted to make sure my sig is legal as I have a little fear I've gone over the 8

Your formatting pushes you over 8 lines. Lose the central box and maybe the HR and you'll be legal.

Edit: Correction - the right-hand box is 9 lines too. You're trying to squeeze in too much. Lose or combine something.
Last edited by Frisbeeteria on Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hiram Land
Ambassador

Founded: May 10, 2017

Postby Hiram Land » Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:07 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:
Hiram Land wrote: wanted to make sure my sig is legal as I have a little fear I've gone over the 8

Your formatting pushes you over 8 lines. Lose the central box and maybe the HR and you'll be legal.

Edit: Correction - the right-hand box is 9 lines too. You're trying to squeeze in too much. Lose or combine something.

Is this better? I made the long text towards a YT link smaller, reduced the text on the right (and centre) box as well.

Edit: Also removed the OOC part, was going to be useless anyway

[floatright][box][size=85][url=https://www.nationstates.net/page=display_region_rmb/region=united_forum_of_nations][b]UFN message board[/b][/url]
Likes history and writing
he/him
[color=#c65bf0][background=#c65bf0]u[/background][/color][color=#4c4aed][background=#4c4aed]w[/background][/color][color=#807777][background=#807777]u[/background][/color][/size][/box][/floatright][floatleft][box][size=85][b][u][i]National Information[/i][/u][/b]
[i]Unidas et Hyramalunde[/i]
[url=https://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatch/id=1495549]Nationbuilder[/url]
[url=https://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatches/nation=hiram_land]Old Dispatches[/url]
[hr][/hr]Alternate: [nation]Hiramia-Omfew[/nation][/size][/box][/floatleft][box][align=Center][color=#0047a0][background=#000000]_____[/background][background=yellow][b]  Hiram Land  [/b][/background][background=#000000]_____[/background][/color][hr][/hr][size=85][i][url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMk0vaLZPWg]Rather Dutch than British.[/url][/i]
Thank you to [nation]Nanako Island[/nation] for providing help for the signature. [/size]
[color=#408000][i][b]Proud [url=https://www.nationstates.net/region=United%20Forum%20of%20Nations]UFN[/url] member[/b][/i][/color]
RIP UNoE and UoJ[/align][/box]
Last edited by Hiram Land on Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Слава Україні!
#KyrusiaSoTrue
he/him
uwu
National Information
Unidas et Hyramalunde
Nationbuilder
Old Dispatches

Alternate: Hiramia-Omfew
_____ Hiram Land _____
Hyramas or Bust!
Thank you to Nanako Island for providing help for the signature.

Proud UFN member
RIP UNoE and UoJ

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Moderation