NATION

PASSWORD

An Era of Revolutions (1780 Geopolitical RP) - OOC

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
Sao Nova Europa
Minister

Founded: Apr 20, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

An Era of Revolutions (1780 Geopolitical RP) - OOC

Postby Sao Nova Europa » Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:27 am

An Era of Revolutions

MAP

IC

The Year of our Lord, 1780

As the 18th century is coming to an end, the world is changing. The ideas of the Enlightenment, of liberalism and of the equality of men have been spreading like a wildfire in the European continent - and in the colonies of European powers as well. Absolute monarchs find their God-given rights challenged by an emerging bourgeoise class demanding representative government. Multinational empires are struggling to hold together their realms as the ideas of nationalism spread among their diverse subjects. In the European colonies in the Americas, the idea of self-determination is taking roots and perhaps it won't be long before some of those colonies declare their independence. In Asia, ancient and rich empires are struggling to keep up with the West and fend off threats to their independence. Africa is slowly becoming the new battleground for colonial influence as Europeans hungrily stare at the vast continent.

We live in An Era of Revolutions

INTRODUCTION

Welcome to An Era of Revolutions (AER for short). AER is a geopolitical RP set in the late 18th century, more specifically the year 1780. This was an interesting period in human history as newly emerging ideologies - like liberalism and nationalism - began challenging the traditional status quo in Europe and the Americas, while in Asia and Africa native states had to fend off European expansionism. It is an era of revolutions and radicalism: but also an era of absolute Kingship and extravagant royal courts.

AER explores a world that is familiar but also in many ways different to that of RL history. The greatest change is that China is divided and Russia is not the behemoth we know of: a Tatar Dynasty emerging in the 1400s conquered Northern China and in the subsequent centuries expanded into Siberia.

How that effects the balance of power in Europe and Asia? That is up to you, the players. The Point of Divergence (PoD) is the year 1300. What this means in practice is that history before 1300 is the same as in real life: but history after 1300 is up to the players. You are free to app as a RL state with minimal changes to your history. But you are also free to experiment: perhaps a crusader state survived in some form in the Middle East or perhaps England prevailed in the Hundred Years' War.

The possibilities are endless.

BASIC RULES

AER is not a rules-heavy RP. It relies on players' writing, imagination and creativity. However, some basic rules are necessary to ensure a good and enjoyable experience for everyone involved:

1. Realism: As already stated, I do not expect people to follow RL history after 1300. I will also grant leeway to allow interesting nations to emerge. But apps should also be realistic. A Byzantine Empire surviving in the Balkans and Anatolia is possible, but a reformed Western Roman Empire is not. A Crusader State can have survived in the Middle East, but it would have a significant Muslim population and religious tensions. Japan opening up earlier than in RL and even expanding colonially is feasible, but an Iranian state would not be able to colonize parts of the Americas.

2. Technology: Unless otherwise stated in app (example: a Japan that rejected isolationism and instead was outward looking), Asian and African powers are not on the same technological level as European powers. Again, this is a soft rule and an app that makes a convincing case as to why this would not be the case would be accepted.

3. Wars: Conflicts between players will ideally be decided between the two (or more) players, who would agree to an outcome. If the players involved however cannot reach such an outcome by themselves, I will be deciding the course of the war based on tactics and strategies mentioned in IC posts, the logistics/terrain of where the conflict takes place and the geopolitical situation. Players should be able to graciously accept defeat: after all, this is an era before total war became a thing and military victories or defeats did not necessarily result in annexation or even extremely harsh terms.

4. Time: Every two IC pages amount to four (4) months. In cases of war or some other interesting event, this pace can change to accommodate narrative and gameplay needs. The pace can also be quickened if players agree that a time jump is needed to move forward the narrative. So this rule is a flexible one.

5. No Northumbria applications will be accepted. Those of you have been long enough in these forums understand why this rule exists.

APPLICATIONS

You can reserve a nation for seven (7) days. You can renew your reservation for an additional three (3) days, but if you again fail to provide an application for review, then your reservation will be rescinded and other players will be able to reserve your country. This is meant to ensure that countries are not reserved for weeks by people who then never provide an application. It is a rule that will be strictly enforced.

You will also note that in the application format there are certain instructions. I expect you to follow those instructions and to provide decent quality apps. I do not expect you to write pages upon pages about your nation, but I also expect you to write something more than two short paragraphs.

I also expect people who app in the same region as other players, to consult with those other players and ensure that their applications are compatible. This is meant to be cooperative RP after all and we need some consistency in our worldbuilding.

Nation Application

Code: Select all
[Remove my instructions from your app, including this one]
[b]Nation Name:[/b]
[b]Culture(s):[/b] What is the dominant culture/ethnicity of your nation? If it's a multinational empire, what are the major ethnic groups?
[b]Territory:[/b] What territory does your country control? I would prefer if people paint their claims on the map, but I will also be accepting simply stating which geographical regions you control.
[b]Capital City:[/b]
[b]Population:[/b]

[b]Government Type :[/b] Absolute Monarchy, Constitutional Monarchy, Republic, etch
[b]Head of State:[/b] Name and title 
[b]Head of Government:[/b] If same as HoS, simply repeat the name
[b]Government Description:[/b] I expect at least [i]a (1) paragraph[/i]. You do not have to describe all ministries, departments and provinces of your country but I want to know A) how your country is administered, B) how local governments function.

[b]Majority/State Religion :[/b]

[b]Economic Description:[/b] I expect at least [i]one (1) paragraph[/i]. Explain how advanced your economy is, how your economy works (free-market capitalism? heavily regulated economy?) and the major products of your country.

[b]Development:[/b] Industrialized, pre-industrialized or primitive? Remember to be realistic, and that if you choose 'industrialized' you will have to justify it in your history.

[b]Army Description:[/b]
[b]Army Weakness:[/b]
[b]Naval Description:[/b]
[b]Naval Weakness:[/b]

[b]National Goals:[/b] What are the objectives your nation aims to follow?
[b]National Issues:[/b] State which problems plague your nation. I expect at the very least two problems.

[b]History :[/b] I expect at least [i]two (2) paragraphs[/i] of history. If your nation does not follow RL historical development, I expect your history to be more detailed but even if your country is a carbon copy of its RL equivalent, I still expect two paragraphs.
[b]RP Sample:[/b] Link. If you are new to the forums and do not have a sample, write a short paragraph so I can check your RP abilities.

#AER (Do not delete this, it is used to keep track of the apps)

Reservations

Code: Select all
[align=middle][size=140][u]Reservation[/u][/size][/align]
[b]Nation Name:[/b]
[b]Territory:[/b]
Last edited by Sao Nova Europa on Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:42 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Signature:

"I’ve just bitten a snake. Never mind me, I’ve got business to look after."
- Guo Jing ‘The Brave Archer’.

“In war, to keep the upper hand, you have to think two or three moves ahead of the enemy.”
- Char Aznable

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
- Sun Tzu

Sao Nova Europa
Minister

Postby Sao Nova Europa » Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:28 am

Last edited by Sao Nova Europa on Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:50 am, edited 19 times in total.
Signature:

“In war, to keep the upper hand, you have to think two or three moves ahead of the enemy.”
- Char Aznable

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
- Sun Tzu

Sao Nova Europa
Minister

Postby Sao Nova Europa » Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:28 am

Last edited by Sao Nova Europa on Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:49 am, edited 10 times in total.
Signature:

- Char Aznable

- Sun Tzu

Sao Nova Europa
Minister

Postby Sao Nova Europa » Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:54 am

Nation Name: Great Wei
Culture(s):

The dynasty has Tatar origins, and retains some of its heritage. Princes are tutored by Tatar warriors on how to ride the horse and shoot from an arrow at a young age, just like their nomadic forefathers did in olden times. In the northern parts of the country, Tatars, Mongols, Manchus and the myriad native Siberian tribes live as their ancestors always did.

However, in order to legitimize their dynasty, the Wei Dynasty has embraced Chinese culture and over the years has Sinicized to such an extent that it’s hard to differentiate it from past native Han dynasties. Emperors receive classical Chinese education, proclaim themselves to be Sons of Heaven and aim to govern in a Confucian manner. They also promote classical education, civil examinations and Chinese culture (poems, paintings, etch). Wei Emperors are always keen to present themselves are refined, civilized rulers and take an arrogant stance on foreigners, dismissing them as ‘barbarians’: this can be largely explained by their desire to demonstrate to their Han Chinese subjects that they are legitimate, civilized rulers. As a result of this, the Tatar Wei dynasty is ironically very much Sinocentric and xenophobic.

Territory: Map
Capital City: Shuntian (Beiping)
Population: 100,000,000

Government Type : Absolute bureaucratic monarchy
Head of State: Xianfeng Emperor

Head of Government: Chancellor Yang Kang

Government Description:

Central Government:

The Emperor (Huáng Dì) is the Son of Heaven and the autocrat of All Under Heaven. All must submit before the heavenly-ordained ruler of the world. Tributary states are expected to annually submit tribute to the Emperor. The unruly barbarians are excused for their lack of decorum before the Emperor as they know no better.

The Emperor is the Khan of Khans (Khagan), Supreme Ruler of the Tribes. In order to stress this point, traditionally the Wei ruler is crowned Khagan the very next day after being crowned Emperor, in a grand ceremony attended by representatives of the Tatar, Mongol, Manchu and Siberian tribes.

The Wei Dynasty has changed the definition of civilized and barbarian from previous dynasties, in order to justify its nomadic origins. Tatars, Mongols, Tibetans, the various Siberian tribes, Manchus and Uyghurs are considered civilized, since they submit to the Son of Heaven and accept the lordship of the legitimate Chinese dynasty.

The Emperor rules with the aid of the Chancellor. The Chancellor is always a eunuch, a precautionary measure to prevent the domination of the office by powerful political dynasties. The Chancellor heads the Six Departments and Six Ministries, all reserved for Han Chinese officials with the exception of the Ministry of War that is reserved for nobles of Tatar or Mongol origin. The Six Departments are:

The Secretariat, responsible for drafting policies.
    The Chancellery, responsible for reviewing policies.
    The Department of State Affairs, responsible for implementing policies.
    The Department of Palace, responsible for the upkeep of the imperial household.
    The Department of Books, responsible for maintaining the Imperial Library.
    The Department of Service, responsible for staffing the palace with eunuchs.

The Six Ministries are:

Ministry of Personnel, in charge of appointments, promotions & demotions of officials and the granting of honorific titles.
    Ministry of Rites, in charge of state ceremonies & rituals and the maintenance of palace protocol.
    Ministry of Revenue, in charge of collecting taxes, handling state revenues and gathering census data.
    Ministry of War, in charge of appointments, promotion & demotion of military officers, maintenance of military installations and equipment, supply of the military and leadership in times of war.
    Ministry of Justice, in charge of the judicial and penal process.
    Ministry of Works, in charge of government construction programs and maintenance of infrastructure.

The Office of Barbarian Affairs is an independent agency responsible for diplomacy. It is mostly concerned with nations that are not tributary states of the Wei Dynasty. Relations with the tributary states are handled by the Ministry of Rites.

Below the Ministries are the Bureaus, government departments staffed by bureaucrats chosen in accordance to their rank in the Imperial Examinations. The scholar-officials dominate thus the bureaucracy. The maximum tenure in office is twelve years but every three years officials are evaluated and can be promoted or demoted.

Imperial Court:

The Imperial Court is comprised of the Ministers, the Directors (heading the Departments), the leading secretariats of the Ministries and Departments and the Noble Lords (noblemen sent by the Tatar, Mongol and Manchu tribes as representatives of their respective tribes). The Court is convened at least three times a month, and debates domestic and foreign policy in relatively open manner. Courtiers can offer ideas and criticize the conduct of Ministers or Directors, but such criticisms must be well-grounded lest they incur the wrath of the Emperor.

Imperial Household:

The Imperial Household is staffed entirely by eunuchs and servant ladies. The number of concubines is in the hundreds while the number of eunuchs and servant ladies in the thousands. The Imperial Household is a large, complex bureaucracy of its own, a miniature government of sorts handling the women and offspring of the Emperor. Concubines are chosen both in merits of political expediency and of beauty. They are trained by eunuchs to adhere to a strict protocol.

The women of the Imperial Household are ranked in accordance to their virtues, beauty and the favor of the Emperor:

1. Empress (皇后; huáng hòu)
    2. Consort (夫人; fū rén)
    3. Beauty (美人; měi rén)
    4. Virtuous Lady (良人; liáng rén)
    5. Consort (八子; bā zi)
    6. Lady (七子; qī zi)
    7. Senior Palace Woman (長使; zhǎng shǐ)
    8. Junior Palace Woman (少使; shǎo shǐ)
As the rank of his mother affects a prince’s chances of being named Crown Prince, it isn’t uncommon for women in the Imperial Household to fight for influence and the favor of the Emperor.

Provincial Administration:

The administrative division of the country is divided between the Han Provinces, the Steppe Lands, the Northern Frontier, the Ural Counties, the Western Military Governorate and the Tibetan Realm. Those divisions reflect the multitude of cultures and climates encompassed by the empire.

Han Provinces:

The Han Provinces follow the traditional Chinese administration:

Viceroyalty, comprising of several provinces.
    Province
    Prefecture
    County

The office-holders are chosen through provincial imperial examinations. Just like other government bureaucrats, they have a maximum tenure of twelve years in office but every three years they undergo evaluation and can either be demoted or promoted.

Steppe Lands:

The Steppe Lands (comprising of Mongolia, the southern part of Siberia and Manchuria) are ruled in a dual manner:

Han settlements by Chinese style magisterial administration that reports directly to the central government.

The steppes by the officially recognized (by the Imperial Court) tribes. The Tatar, Mongol, Manchu and various Siberian tribes have broad autonomy in their internal affairs and are free to rule themselves as long as they avoid tribal warfare and pay an annual tribute to the Emperor. The tribes may also be called to offer military service if necessary. In certain cases, the Imperial Court can authorize the merging of tribes or the splitting of a tribe. The Imperial Court also grants titles (along with salary) to the chieftains of the tribes, creating in essence a parallel to the Chinese court nobility in the north.

Northern Frontier:

The Northern Frontier, comprised of the northern part of Siberia that is sparsely populated (mostly by remote Han Chinese colonies), is governed by:

Dukes, who lord over extensive tracts of land and have both military and civil responsibilities. The Dukes generally have a hands off approach in governance, being happy to let settlements govern themselves as long as they provide an annual tax. They also oversee the few, small indigenous tribes, that are also largely left to their own devices as long as they recognize imperial rule.

Lord-Magistrates, the mayors of Han settlements who run the day to day life. Sheriffs (Zhènshang Jǐngzhǎng) maintain the order in the settlements, often employing the service of mercenary adventurers.

Due to the vast size and sparse population of northern Siberia, the Dukes and Lord-Magistrates are given a lot of leeway on how to govern themselves and on how to apply the law. Due to this, rowdy elements from the Han provinces are often traveling to the Northern Frontier, to escape imperial oversight. The imperial government generally encourages this trend, as it removes socially discontent elements from the far more important Han provinces.

Ural Counties:

The Ural Counties cover the Eastern slopes of the Ural Mountains and their immediate regions. Mainly populated by the Turkic Bashkirs, each county is led by a Count who has both military and civil authority in his county. The counties are hereditary, but each Count is traditionally confirmed by the Imperial Court at his accession. Counts do not pay taxes to the Emperor nor are they required to provide troops for campaigns outside of their territory, but in exchange they are responsible for guarding the borders of Siberia from the West. An Imperial Envoy, usually a Han Chinese eunuch, is the Emperor’s overseer in the region, settling disputes between counties and ensuring that they remain loyal to the Emperor.

Western Military Governorate:

The Western Military Governorate (Xinjiang) is ruled by a Grand Marshal with a militarized administration, and is strongly garrisoned. In parallel with this military administration, the local Uyghurs are allowed limited self-government: certain city-states and most nomadic tribes govern themselves as long as they provide an annual tax. All other holdings though are governed by military law.

Tibetan Realm:

Tibet is ruled in a dual manner. The Dalai Lama in Lhasa presides over civil and domestic affairs, and is given much leeway by the central government. However there is strong garrison in Lhasa led by a 'Supreme Commander'. The Commander in effect administers foreign affairs of Tibet and ensures that the Dalai Lama provides taxes and men (for conscription) to the central government.

Majority/State Religion : Confucianism with elements of Taoism, Ancestor Worshipping and Tatar paganism

Economic Description:

The Wei Empire is largely divided between an agrarian, sedentary south (northern China) and a nomadic, livestock-based north (steppes). The Western Military Governorate adds to that picture a combination of both ways along with land trade; unlike the other parts of the empire, non-tributary states are allowed freely to trade with Wei through land routes in the Western Military Governorate, thus keeping the lucrative silk road open.

The base of the Wei economy is located in the agrarian, Chinese part of the empire. There, the road network is of outstanding quality while canal building and river dredging have helped to create a large, unified internal market. As inter-regional trade and travel became ever more common, guild halls dedicated to facilitating commerce (huiguan) have gained prominence around the urban landscape. As a result of this commercialization, mid-sized cities began popping up to direct the flow of domestic, commercial trade.

In the steppes of the north, the traditional nomadic way of life continues. The nomads own sheep and cows but due to the dramatic changes in seasons that bring harsh weather, they have to move throughout the year to find good spots for their livestock. In winter, they often move in front of a mountain for shelter. In spring and summer, next to a river for water supply, and in autumn up a hill to collect hay for the winter. They never live in one place for too long.

The economy of the Siberian part of the empire is "powered" primarily by mining. Siberia is extraordinarily rich in minerals, containing ores of almost all economically valuable metals. Siberian agriculture is severely restricted by the short growing season of most of the region. However, in the southwest where soils are exceedingly fertile black earths and the climate is a little more moderate, there is extensive cropping of wheat, barley, rye and potatoes, along with the grazing of large numbers of sheep and cattle. Elsewhere food production, owing to the poor fertility of the podzolic soils and the extremely short growing seasons, is restricted to the herding of reindeer in the tundra.

The state has imposed a monopoly on the production of salt, iron, and liquor. Wei also restricts maritime trade with the West to a few designated ports, under strict imperial supervision and plenty of regulations. This is done mainly to prevent the "cultural contamination" of Wei by "the barbarians". Tributary states are allowed, though, to trade freely.

Development: Semi-industrialized in northern China, pre-industrialized and primitive in the other provinces.

Army Description:

High-ranking military offices are reserved for Tatars and Mongols, ensuring Tatar/Mongol domination of the Wei armed forces and acting as a check to the Han-dominated civilian government. That means that even the Han ‘Red Standard Army’ is commanded by Tatars/Mongols.

The collective heads of the Wei military are the Five Grand Marshals. Descendants of the five most prominent generals of original Tatar tribe of Zagip Tuqay, they command great respect and hold large fiefs in China proper. The collective leadership is meant to prevent one person from assuming too much military power.

The ‘Flying Horse Banner’, named so after their banner that features a horse with wings, is comprised of around 70,000 men provided by the Tatar, Mongol, Manchu and various Siberian tribes. The vast majority of them are horsemen. In most cases, the regiments correspond to the tribe of origin, thus forging strong bonds between the men.

The ‘Red Standard Army’, comprised of about 100,000 soldiers, is staffed almost exclusively by Han Chinese. The vast majority of soldiers are either infantrymen, archers or artillery corps. While the high-ranking and many of the medium-ranking officers are Tatar/Mongols, some of the medium-ranking officers and most of the lower-ranking ones are Han Chinese.

The 'Guard Battalions', numbering 350,000 men, are hereditary soldiers stationed in the provinces. They are granted military farms (tun tian) and are supposed to be self-sufficient. Their main objective is to defend provinces and act as a policing force too, undertaking operations against bandits and rebels. They are less well equipped and disciplined than the other soldiers and cannot be counted on in a serious military engagement.

The 'Imperial Guard' is an elite 4,000 men strong unit that is responsible for protecting the Forbidden City. The Emperor is the nominal commander, but the unit is in practice led by an Imperial Palatine, a eunuch military officer (to ensure that they cannot take the throne).

The military is under the strict supervision of the civilian Ministry of War to avoid the danger of ambitious generals turning against the central government. The Ministry is responsible for the maintenance of military installations and the supply of the troops. It maintains bureaus in the various provinces in order to undertake this task. A large network of roads, bridges and canals enables a steady and relatively fast (for the standards of the time and the size of the empire) supplying of the military, at least in the Han provinces. The number of bureaucrats employed to undertake this logistical support is almost half the size of the military.

Army Weakness:

While the Wei land forces are numerous, disciplined and have some of the best logistical support in the world, they are technologically inferior to Western armies. While the technological gap isn’t such that would make Wei armies inept, it means that when facing a Western army, numerical superiority is usually needed.

Naval Description:

The Heavenly Fleet is the naval arm of the Wei military but despite its impressive name, it is small in size and mainly acts as a policing force to keep coasts clear from pirates. It is comprised of 300 Chinese naval junks.

Naval Weakness:

Chinese naval junks are horribly outdated in comparison with Western navies.

National Goals: Retain territorial integrity, remain closed to Western influence, maintain regional supremacy in East Asia.
National Issues:

All Under Heaven: Wei stretches from the seemingly endless steppes of Mongolia to the bustling cities of northern China, and from the scorching hot deserts of Xinjiang to the frozen plains of Siberia. While this might seem as a strength – and to a certain extent, it is – governing such a vast empire is an arduous undertaking, costing much in the way of money and manpower while making micromanagement impossible, thus allowing for lot of leeway in the further provinces.

An Ancient Empire in an Early Modern Age: In an era of emerging industrialized nation-states with colonial empires, Wei is still an "old school" land-based, multiethnic empire centered around an imperial house. It is also increasingly finding itself technologically inferior to the West, yet Wei Emperors desire for the empire to remain a "hermetic kingdom", closed to outside influence.

History :

The great Mongol conquest of the 13th century took the tribes of the steppe across Eurasia, with victories over countless foes. One such tribe, the Tatars, would become highly influential in the western regions of the empire, gaining power over many of the Russian princes, making their base along the Volga River. By 1259, the unity of the Mongol Empire was gone. In the Western regions of the olden Mongol Realm, the Golden Horde rose, led by Berke Khan.

But nomadic tribes couldn’t for long remain sedentary. In 1351 two brothers, sons of one of the most influential Tatar chieftains, fought over who would succeed the father in lordship over the tribe. The younger brother, Zagip Tuqay, lost a battle due to treachery. With his hopes dashed, he decided that instead of fighting a losing war, it would be better to seek glory and wealth elsewhere, like his ancestors did. With half his tribe, he left for the East.

His first victory came during a war against a Kazakh tribe. Zagip crushed them in a decisive battle in 1358, but in victory he showed magnanimity and incorporated them into his tribe. Zagip’s enlarged horde moved further east, conquering Kashgar in 1360. Kashgar provided him with an opening further into China. Zagip would raid Chinese lands, accumulating wealth which he would use to attract further nomads and even some Han mercenaries to his cause. In a series of campaigns in the 1360s, he established his dominance over the various Mongol tribes of Inner and Outer Mongolia. In 1371, Zagip was crowned Khagan in Karakorum, all Mongol tribes recognizing Tatar supremacy in the steppes.

With the Hongwu Emperor establishing centralized control in the south, announcing the Ming Dynasty, Zagip turned his focus to the north. In the 1370s, he would expand Tatar control over southern Siberia, conquering the indigenous Siberian tribes living there. Although the soil was poor and the control tenuous, those campaigns ensured that his army was battle-ready and that more tribes would be incorporated into his nomadic empire. When Zagip died in 1378, he had established the most powerful nomadic empire since the times of Genghis Khan.

His successor was his youngest son, Cihanşa, who took leadership of the empire after a three years civil war. Cihanşa brutally murdered all his siblings and boiled alive the noblemen who sided with his enemies during the civil war. With the rest of the tribal nobility trembling in fear, Cihanşa was the uncontested ruler.

Making full use of the Jingnan rebellion of 1399, Cihanşa launched a massive invasion of Ming China. Cihanşa captured Beiping, the old Yuan capital, which he renamed Shuntian. Defeating the imperial Ming armies, who had to content with the rebellion of Zhu Di, Cihanşa conquered one Chinese province after the other, all the way to the Qin Mountains in the west and the Huai River to the east, brutally massacring and pillaging his way through. Attempting to cross that line, he was killed by a stray arrow during a battle, putting an end to a Tatar invasion of the south in 1403.

His successor was Talgat, a nephew of his and one of the few relatives who had survived Cihanşa’s purge. A soft-spoken eighteen years old man of partial Chinese descent from his mother’s side, who had been educated by Chinese scholars (unlike most of the tribal nobility) and with deep admiration of Chinese civilization, he was accepted as Khagan purely because the Tatar generals, led by Marshal Zaribzyan, understood that stability was needed if they were to consolidate their hold over the rich plains of north China.

Talgat moved into Shuntian, and adopted the dynastic name of Taizong Emperor, reminiscing of the great Tang Dynasty Emperor. He announced the establishment of the Wei Dynasty and gave his uncle Cihanşa posthumously the dynastic name of Yongchang Emperor and buried him with all the ceremonies of a Chinese ruler. Taizong called on Ming courtiers and bureaucrats to come to Shuntian and serve into the new administration. A few did and he honored them with handsome salaries and high offices, attracting more of them in the next years.

Unlike his brutal uncle, Taizong restored order in northern China and reestablished traditional Chinese administrative practices, earning the grudging admiration of the populace that had lived through generations of war. His adoption of Chinese etiquette and governance, though, wasn’t going to go unchallenged. In the steppes of the north, Taizong wasn’t respected and Marshal Zaribzyan in 1411 escaped to Karakorum, where he rallied much of the tribal aristocracy against him. The old ways were to be restored, or so Zaribzyan thought.

Taizong, making full use of the riches of China and the manpower the Han populace presented, coalesced around him a coalition of tribal horsemen who remained royal to the throne and Han infantrymen, some of them veterans of the Ming era and some newly recruited soldiers. In 1412, in a decisive battle, Taizong crushed the rebel forces; at first it looked as if the rebels were about to win, but an arrow killed Zaribzyan (who was fighting in the front lines) and caused chaos in the rebel army, which allowed the loyalists to push back and massacre them. With news of the victory becoming known, the tribes of the steppe submitted once more to their Khagan, Taizong.

With order restored, and in order to keep the Tatar, Mongol and Siberian tribes in check, Taizong expanded and reorganized the Han regiments into the Red Standard Army, so called because of their red banners. Taizong would also move a number of nomads into China itself, establishing them at strategic posts, while establishing some Han garrisons in the steppes of the north. That way, he could keep in check both the Han and the nomadic tribes. Another strategy devised to keep the tribes occupied was to give them a free reign in launching expeditions into northern Siberia, rewarding with gold and land the most successful ones. This policy (which would be continued by Taizong’s successors) brought in the next century northern Siberia into Wei control.

With peace reestablished in both north and south, Taizong went on with a radical reformist agenda. To ensure balance, all high military offices (including ones commanding the Han Red Standard Army regiments) would be reserved for Tatars and Mongols, while all high ranking civilian offices would be granted to classically-educated Han Chinese. In 1417, Taizong appointed Guo Jing (a Han Chinese prominent scholar) as Chancellor of Wei.

Guo Jing enacted a broad land redistributing program to give farm to tenants and landless peasants, much to the dismay of many large landowners. Regional revolts in the 1420s were crushed by the Wei military, allowing the reform to go ahead. Guo Jing undertook the first population census since the collapse of the Ming. The 1426 census gave an accurate picture of the population of the Empire and allowed a revision of the tax assessment to make taxation fairer. Monopoly on salt, iron and liquor was established, roads, canals and bridges were either updated or constructed and series of granaries were built in the provinces to allow steady supply in times of natural disasters.

When Taizong died in 1439, he was leaving behind a prosperous, peaceful realm. Unlike his own succession to power, his eldest son ascended to the throne peacefully, taking the title of Kangxi Emperor. The Kangxi Emperor was much more of a warrior that his father. An excellent horseman and skilled with the bow, he toured in person the steppes of the north, ensuring the loyalty of the steppe tribes. Sensing a growing unease of the Tatar and Mongol tribes with the Chinese administration in the south, he decided that the best way to prevent a crisis would be to direct their energy towards a war of expansion. His target was Manchuria: between 1445 and 1457, in a series of bloody campaigns, Wei domination of Manchuria was established. The Manchu tribes were forced to accept Wei rule, in return being allowed broad autonomy in their internal affairs.

In 1454, emboldened by his successes in Manchuria, the Kangxi Emperor sent a letter requesting the Joseon ruler to submit to him, as the rightful Son of Heaven. The Koreans scoffed at the Tatar pretenses, responding that they recognized the Ming Dynasty as the legitimate Chinese dynasty. The Kangxi Emperor sent a combined force of 'Red Standard Army' Han regiments and Tatar and Mongol cavalry to invade Korea. The overwhelming combination of a numerically superior infantry force and a highly mobile cavalry force meant that the Koreans faced defeat upon defeat. By the end of 1455, the Joseon ruler accepted Kangxi as the rightful Emperor of China and the Joseon Dynasty became a tributary of the Wei Dynasty.

Earning the admiration of the tribes due to his military prowess, Kangxi devised a new scheme to further tighten imperial rule of the north. Tribal noblemen would have to send relatives, including one of their sons, to China. Officially, those relatives were rewarded with lavish mansions and the sons in particular were granted education by the best imperial scholars. In practice, the Emperor would use those relatives as hostages while educating the sons to think in a Chinese, non-tribal way, so when they returned to their tribe, they would act as agents of the Emperor; he himself was an example of how that kind of education could mold a mind, as despite being a Tatar, his way of thinking was shaped by Chinese ideals.

The next Emperor was Zhengtong (1464 - 1495). A man largely interested in material pleasures, he left much of the governance of the empire at the hands of the cunning eunuch Yu Qian. Yu Qian focused his efforts on the construction of a number of forts in the northern steppes and an expansion of the road networks of China. He also oversaw the construction of the Forbidden City between 1479 and 1488. His death in 1489 ushered a period of misgovernance, which allowed Marshal Söläyman Nabiullin (a prominent Tatar chieftain) to rebel against imperial rule. Imperial campaigns against him in 1493 and 1495 failed.

The new Emperor, the Tongzhi Emperor, was far more interested in the horse and bow than his father, having been trained by Tatar tutors. Upon becoming Emperor, he led a grand campaign that put down Söläyman’s revolt, the last nomadic revolt against the empire. To ensure such a revolt wouldn’t be repeated, Tongzhi expanded the hostage-taking system, ordered more tribal expeditions into northern Siberia and bought the loyalty of the tribes with grand titles and hefty salaries.

In 1516, the Chenghua Emperor came to the throne. He established in 1521 the Secret Memorandums, allowing direct communication between him and local officials without the court or ministries getting in the way. This allowed far greater imperial oversight of the public administration. He also lowered taxation and was renowned for his austere personal lifestyle. He was succeeded by the Wanli Emperor (1545 – 1578). More interested in literature than in governing, he left much of the actual governance to a number of powerful Chancellors. In 1564, the empire faced a crisis in the form the White Lotus Rebellion. A religious cult, it attracted a large number of Han peasants. It initially defeated thrice Han regiments sent against it and occupied a number of cities, causing the Emperor to call for a Tatar – Mongol tribal force to come from the north to put down the revolt. In 1569, the revolt was finally crushed.

In 1578, the Yongzheng Emperor came to the throne. A dynamic ruler, he oversaw the opening of Manchuria and parts of Siberia to Han colonization (financed by the government), alleviating some social tensions in the Chinese provinces. He expanded the system of Secret Memorandums, which brought frank and detailed reports on local conditions directly to the throne without being intercepted by the bureaucracy, and created a small Grand Council of personal advisors that was independent of the Imperial Court. In 1592, Wei forces invaded Tibet and forced the Dalai Lama to submit to imperial rule. Literature, painting and music flourished in Yongzheng's reign as the Wei Dynasty entered a period of unprecedented economic growth.

This trend continued under his successor, the Jiajing Emperor (1613 – 1641). He commissioned the Siku Quanshu, an encyclopedia which compiled more than 3000 Chinese works of literature. At the same time, though, the Jiajing Emperor reestablished the tradition that princes of the Wei Dynasty would have to be trained by Tatar warriors on horsemanship and archery, wanting to retain connection with the ancestral traditions of the dynasty. The Jiajing Emperor toured twice Mongolia, overseeing personally the submission of tribute by the Tatar and Mongol tribes.

The Shunzhi Emperor (1641 – 1663) oversaw the closing of the Wei from the outside world. He pursued a strict Confucian agenda that would satisfy the Chinese literati. He sought to purify Wei from ‘barbaric influences’, announcing a policy of ‘Closed Doors’, which restricted Western merchants in designated ports and imposed strict regulations on trade. Shunzi also saw increased Han colonization of Siberia. The Guangxu Emperor (1663 – 1722) oversaw an increase of population. Aside from a peasant revolt due to a drought in 1681, his reign was largely peaceful and uneventful. His successor, the Qianlong Emperor (1722 – 1755), was a builder. On the hills northwest of Beijing, he expanded the villa known as the "Garden of Perfect Brightness" (Yuanmingyuan - Old Summer Palace). He also expanded the imperial summer palace in Rehe Province, and it was at Rehe that the Qianlong Emperor held court with various Tatar and Mongol nobles. The Xuantong Emperor (1755 – 1767) and the Jingtai Emperor (1767 – 1779) saw increased Han colonization of both Siberia and Manchuria as population had skyrocketed, causing concerns over its sustainability, while also witnessing low rates of economic growth.

Xianfeng Emperor ascended the throne in 1779, at the age of thirty-two. He rules an empire that is populous, large and rich but also increasingly stagnant and falling behind technologically. Wei still remains closed to the West, and has managed to maintain its isolation largely through its grand size. But that might be changing as merchants seek access to the Wei market…

RP Sample: I'm OP

Signature:

- Char Aznable

- Sun Tzu

Nitrana
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 16, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Nitrana » Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:06 am

Reservation

Nation Name: The Danube Confederation
Territory: irl Austrian Empire during this Era.
if this is unrealistic, I will gladly change my app.
Taiwan is a country, Tiananmen protests DID happen, and the Chinese government is a dictatorship. Deal with it.
An alt world STRONK Slovakia where the duchy of Nitra never fell, adopted Christianity and defended it. It also established as a regional superpower. It controls the lands of Croatia, Hungary and Slovakia. The Hungarians also never were a major culture!
I like countryballs. I play HOI4 and Minecraft. That’s it lol
I do use NS stats, but not every one of them. (Monogamy? DATS HERECY!)
ЗупинітьПутіна

Sao Nova Europa
Minister

Postby Sao Nova Europa » Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:11 am

Nitrana wrote:
Reservation

Nation Name: The Danube Confederation
Territory: irl Austrian Empire during this Era.
if this is unrealistic, I will gladly change my app.

Reservation accepted.
Signature:

- Char Aznable

- Sun Tzu

Arvenia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 21, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Arvenia » Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:21 am

Looks interesting to me. Is it possible to be a unified Scandinavia (which is similar to the UK)?
Pro: Political Pluralism, Centrism, Liberalism, Liberal Democracy, Social Democracy, Sweden, USA, UN, ROC, Japan, South Korea, Monarchism, Republicanism, Sci-Fi, Animal Rights, Gender Equality, Mecha, Autism, Environmentalism, Secularism, Religion and LGBT Rights
Anti: Racism, Sexism, Nazism, Fascism, EU, Socialism, Adolf Hitler, Neo-Nazism, KKK, Joseph Stalin, PRC, North Korea, Russia, Iran, Saudi-Arabia, Communism, Ultraconservatism, Ultranationalism, Xenophobia, Homophobia, Transphobia, WBC, Satanism, Mormonism, Anarchy, ISIS, al-Qaeda, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, 969 Movement, Political Correctness, Anti-Autistic Sentiment, Far-Right, Far-Left, Cultural Relativism, Anti-Vaxxers, Scalpers and COVID-19

Sao Nova Europa
Minister

Postby Sao Nova Europa » Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:22 am

Arvenia wrote:Looks interesting to me. Is it possible to be a unified Scandinavia (which is similar to the UK)?

Sure.
Signature:

- Char Aznable

- Sun Tzu

Great Britain and Galactic Commonwealth
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 18, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Britain and Galactic Commonwealth » Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:27 am

Reservation

Nation Name: The Kingdom Of France
Territory:
FRANCE AND AUSTRIA WON THE SEVEN YEARS WAR!!!

Last edited by Great Britain and Galactic Commonwealth on Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
_[' ]_
(-_Q)
A Class 0.142 Civilization according to this index.

Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Britain and Galactic Commonwealth » Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:29 am

This really looks great. Can't wait to post an app and get started!!
_[' ]_
(-_Q)

Greater Liverpool
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 13, 2013
Democratic Socialists

Postby Greater Liverpool » Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:45 pm

Reservation

Nation Name: The Ruthenian Commonwealth
Territory: https://imgur.com/a/5dqybVo nation in blue
An orthodox convert who doesn't support Russia

Slava Ukraini

Sao Nova Europa
Minister

Postby Sao Nova Europa » Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:01 pm

Great Britain and Galactic Commonwealth wrote:
Reservation

Nation Name: The Kingdom Of France
Territory:
(Image)
FRANCE AND AUSTRIA WON THE SEVEN YEARS WAR!!!

Reservation noted, though without the Indochina colonies - since I would prefer some additional space in East Asia, especially for a possible Southern China app - and Syria, in case there is an Ottoman or other Middle Eastern application. :)

Greater Liverpool wrote:
Reservation

Reservation noted.
Last edited by Sao Nova Europa on Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signature:

- Char Aznable

- Sun Tzu

Reverend Norv
Senator

Founded: Jun 20, 2014
New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:02 pm

I'd like to reserve the US eastern seaboard for a version of the United States. But I'd also like to wait and see apps for other European powers (especially Britain), since I don't know who the mother country would be or how that would affect my app. In any case, my inclination is to apply as a rebellious colonial subject whose discontent boils over into revolution at the start of the RP, so I would need to work closely with a trusted player to tell the story of that independence conflict.
For really, I think that the poorest he that is in England hath a life to live as the greatest he. And therefore truly, Sir, I think it's clear that every man that is to live under a Government ought first by his own consent to put himself under that Government. And I do think that the poorest man in England is not at all bound in a strict sense to that Government that he hath not had a voice to put himself under.
Col. Thomas Rainsborough, Putney Debates, 1647

A God who let us prove His existence would be an idol.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Sao Nova Europa
Minister

Postby Sao Nova Europa » Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:06 pm

Reverend Norv wrote:I'd like to reserve the US eastern seaboard for a version of the United States. But I'd also like to wait and see apps for other European powers (especially Britain), since I don't know who the mother country would be or how that would affect my app. In any case, my inclination is to apply as a rebellious colonial subject whose discontent boils over into revolution at the start of the RP, so I would need to work closely with a trusted player to tell the story of that independence conflict.

Welcome to the RP. :)

Reservation is noted. And don't worry about having to wait for more European apps, in your case I can extend your reservation a few days more than usual.
Signature:

- Char Aznable

- Sun Tzu

Union Princes
Senator

Founded: Nov 02, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Union Princes » Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:23 pm

Tag, considering an early unification of Germany or HRE
There is no such thing as peace, only truce between wars

Sao Nova Europa
Minister

Postby Sao Nova Europa » Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:28 pm

Union Princes wrote:Tag, considering an early unification of Germany or HRE

Reservation noted.
Signature:

- Char Aznable

- Sun Tzu

Scandinavia21
Attaché

Founded: Jun 12, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Scandinavia21 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:19 pm

Reservation

Nation Name: The Kingdom of Scandinavia
Territory: Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Iceland, Greenland and Svalbard Islands
Nation: Kingdom of Scandinavia
Technology: MT- PMT
Year: 2025
Territory: Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Iceland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Kola Peninsula
Leader: Queen Anastasia the 3rd
GENA Ambassador: Thomas Hauger

Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 20, 2012
Democratic Socialists

Postby Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States » Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:20 pm

Reservation

Nation Name: The Britannic Empire (Working title)
Territory: Great Britain, Canada, US eastern seaboard (de iure), Andrha, Bengal

(Everything subject to change)
The name's James. James Usari. Well, my name is not actually James Usari, so don't bother actually looking it up, but it'll do for now.
Lack of a real name means compensation through a real face. My debt is settled
Part-time Kebab tycoon in Glasgow.

Scandinavia21
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Scandinavia21 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:34 pm

Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States wrote:
Reservation

Nation Name: The Britannic Empire (Working title)
Territory: Great Britain, Canada, US eastern seaboard (de iure), Andrha, Bengal

(Everything subject to change)

I was wondering if our app get accepted, you want to team up against France?
Territory: Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Iceland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Kola Peninsula

Imperatuis
Secretary

Founded: Mar 17, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperatuis » Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:59 pm

Reservation

Nation Name: The Iberian Empire
Territory: The Spanish Empire in that Era, And Portugal
Last edited by Imperatuis on Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Union Princes
Senator

Founded: Nov 02, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Union Princes » Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:23 pm

Nation Name: The German Empire/Deutsches Reich
Culture(s): German/Teuton, Danish, Dutch
Territory: Germany, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Dutch East India (Ceylon and Indonesia coast), and Dutch West Africa (Gold Coast and Mauritius)
Capital City: Berlin
Population: 31 million

Government Type : Enlightened Absolute Stratocratic Monarchy
Head of State: Kaiser Frederick I Ferdininand William von Plauen-Hollenzollern/Kaiser Fritz Plauen
Head of Government: Kaiser Frederick I Ferdininand William von Plauen-Hollenzollern
Government Description: The bureaucracy of Kaiser Frederick I can be best described as a proto-constitutional state as the interests of the German throne sought to replace the feudal system with a highly centralized authority. The rights of nobility were curtailed at every opportunity in the administration, rendering their titles almost ceremonial, in order to maximize efficiency across the empire. Additionally, while there is an interest in the suppression of liberalism and any anti-monarchist rhetoric, Kaiser Frederick allowed freedom of speech, the press, and literature, and abolished most uses of judicial torture

Majority/State Religion: Protestantism/Roman Catholicism

Economic Description: A maritime capitalist empire on par with France, England, and Iberia due to its major port cities such as Hamburg, Lubeck, and Amsterdam and its expensive merchant fleet. Although Germany had no colonies in the New World, its merchants can be found seeking new markets to exploit. Trade with East Asia became a regular destination with the Ming Dynasty being the most frequented destination.

Domestically, this growth of overseas trade gave rise to a working middle class centered around coastal cities in northern Germany. Combined with the unusual Protestant work ethic of the northern Germans, local industries became more prominent, further pushing urbanization in the cities. The abolishment of Serfdom, one of Kaiser Frederick's 1778 reforms, gave the empire the opportunity for land reform in the far future though as of now, old customs and traditions remain unchanged.

Development: Proto-Industrialization

Army Description: It is said that there are three social classes in Germany: infantry, artillery, and cavalry. Everyone was expected to serve in the state and military - the nobility led the army, the middle class supplied the army, and the peasants made up the army. Under Kaiser Frederick's military reforms, the German Empire had the largest army in Europe (able to muster at least 920,000 soldiers) and the most effective one.

Structure - First found by Frederick's predecessor and expanded upon after the German unification, officer cadet schools are only open to members of the German nobility, granting their adequate leadership training through their command wasn't always earned through merit. As for recruitment, Kaiser Frederick also expanded the Canton Conscription System through the realm in which the empire was divided into small regions containing at least 5,000 households each. Every able-bodied male was added to a potential list of recruits.

Discipline - Aside from his other nicknames, Kaiser Frederick I is also regarded as the Father of German militarism given his emphasis on training and battlefield innovations. First, the widespread adoption of the iron ramrod instead of the cheaper wooden version dissipated any worries of the ramrod breaking in the heat of battle. Second, whereas other nations were content training their soldiers to fire three shots a minute, Germans were relentlessly drilled to fire six shots a minute; a task both impossible and unheard of. Though unlikely that the average German soldier can shoot and reload twice as fast as his counterpart, this training ensures that he will be firing at a greater volume than the enemy. Third, the Goose Step, a marching style that ensured that the rank and file march at the same speed, allowing commanders an easier time maneuvering and maintaining control of their forces. Fourth, German cavalry was reformed into aggressive shock cavalry, the most notable unit being the Totenkopf Hussars, and the adoption of horse artillery.

Army Weakness: While impressive in size and iron discipline, this golden age of German land dominance is already approaching its twilight. Kaiser Frederick I is still undoubtedly the greatest military theorist and battlefield commander modern Europe has ever seen but he is aging and cannot lead every army at once. The German nobility, the Junkers, are capable officers in war but the era of invincibility has started to make them prideful and complacent in their duties. With the emphasis on offensive planning and aggressive maneuver, the German Army was not built for wars of attrition.
Naval Description: Despite the profits from overseas trading, the German Navy is often the forgotten brother in the military. While not boasting the largest ships or any admirals of renown, its purpose remains humble but necessary for the empire. The warships did the Kaiser many a favor by protecting the trade lanes from pirate attacks and patrolling the coast for smugglers.
Naval Weakness: Given the land bias in Germany, the navy is rather unimpressive on all accounts, acting as the law enforcement of the sea. Mediocre naval officers leading mediocre-sized ships whose entire fleet size is a quarter of the British Navy.

National Goals: Containing French and Danube influence, Germanization of the Lowlands, Reclamation of East Prussia
National Issues: Surrounded by Rivals, whether friendly or not doesn't change the fact that Germany has strong neighbors. Perfidious Albion - Out of all the rivals in Europe, none can come so close to destroying the empire as the United Kingdom due to its Royal Navy. The numerical superiority can easily blockade Germany and starve it of food and overseas trade.

History : The Order of Brothers of the German House of Saint Mary in Jerusalem, commonly known as the Teutonic Order/Knights was a religious military order that earned renown during the Northern Crusade into the Baltics. Having carved a small order state in Prussia, it became one of the Catholic bulwarks against the Eastern Orthodoxy. Yet despite the religious obligations, the Teutons were more interested in the conquest of their fellow Catholic neighbors, starting in Pomerania. Their entry into the Holy Roman Empire, granting them protection against Poland-Lithuania, was partly due to superb relations between the Grandmaster and the Holy Roman Empire and partly due to the rivalry between Austria and Poland.

However, the era of crusading knights soon found no place in the Renaissance. A monastic order could not compete with evolving institutions but Grandmaster Heinrich Reuß von Plauen already had ambitions to be a duke. And so, the Teutonic Order evolved into a secular state complete with a marriage alliance with the Elector-Count of Brandenburg. These marriage ties would eventually lead to a dynastic union between the Teutons and the Brandenburgers when the Elector-Count died without a male heir, leaving the Plauens to inherit the throne in 1594.

With these new lands, Ludwig von Plauen declared himself the King of Prussia much to the ire of the Austrians. This rivalry only intensified during the Reformation as the kings of Prussia converted to Lutherism while the Austrians remained faithful to the Vatican. It finally culminated in the War of Religion as the Protestants led by Prussia fought against the Austrian-led Catholics. Although this violent war ended in a stalemate and truce, the power of the Habsburgs and the HRE waned. Yet, Prussia could not secure the Imperial crown for itself, prompting the Plauens to find seek an alternative.

The War of German Unification (1733-1740), popularized as "King/Kaiser Frederick's War" by Voltaire's writings, would see the end of the decentralized feudal power structure of the HRE and replace it with a centralized, bureaucratic monarchy. The brilliance of the young Frederick the Great after he inherited the throne after the untimely death of his father in 1733 has earned him the reputation as a modern Alexander. At 21 years old, King Frederick I saved the Prussian war effort and successfully maneuvered and lead his armies to crush the Austrians in Silesia, destroy the Bavarians and Saxons, and conquer Holland and Frisia in the west. Despite being outnumbered and surrounded by foes on all sides, his wits and discipline overcome all obstacles only to be rewarded with the greatest prize of all: Germany.

In Vienna, surrounded by his loyal officers and ministers, King Frederick I have crowned Emperor of the Germans, a Kaiser of a new great power in Europe. Unlike Alexander, this new Kaiser sought diplomacy and trade with his neighbors rather than iron and blood. With the Netherlands subdued under his rule, German merchantmen sailed to reclaim the lost Dutch colonies in Africa and Asia as the VOC was recognized into the German East India Company. This inward focus on reform, growth, and exploration gave four decades of easy rest as the Kaiser read and studied voraciously every subject possible. A patron of science and art, Kaiser Frederick became acquainted with Sir Issac Newton and befriend Voltaire while musicians like Mozart and Beethoven had the opportunity to perform in his court.

Out of all his topics of fascination, Kaiser Frederick was keen into reading more about the mythical lands of India and East Asia. His merchantmen brought back porcelain teapots, silk robes, and even a translation of the Art of War by Sun Tzu. That book would be a focus of curiosity for the Kaiser. For all the treasures of this overseas trade, the translations weren't always perfect. There was an incident where the Kaiser wore a Chinese noblewoman's robe in court, a memory that Voltaire never forgot and always remarked on when corresponding with Frederick.

RP Sample: https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=505022

Last edited by Union Princes on Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:08 pm, edited 5 times in total.
There is no such thing as peace, only truce between wars

Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Britain and Galactic Commonwealth » Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:57 pm

Greater Liverpool wrote:
Reservation

Greater Liverpool wrote:
Reservation

Greater Liverpool wrote:
Reservation

Reverend Norv wrote:I'd like to reserve the US eastern seaboard for a version of the United States. But I'd also like to wait and see apps for other European powers (especially Britain), since I don't know who the mother country would be or how that would affect my app. In any case, my inclination is to apply as a rebellious colonial subject whose discontent boils over into revolution at the start of the RP, so I would need to work closely with a trusted player to tell the story of that independence conflict.

If Britain and the Scandinavian Kingdom decide to team up against Français I'm sure I have found Allies. The Old Gang (France, Austria, Spain, USA and Russia) is back.
Last edited by Great Britain and Galactic Commonwealth on Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_[' ]_
(-_Q)

Scandinavia21
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Scandinavia21 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:48 pm

Great Britain and Galactic Commonwealth wrote:
Greater Liverpool wrote:
Reservation

Greater Liverpool wrote:
Reservation

Greater Liverpool wrote:
Reservation

If Britain and the Scandinavian Kingdom decide to team up against Français I'm sure I have found Allies. The Old Gang (France, Austria, Spain, USA and Russia) is back.

I have no plans in the Americas so you have no worries there. My main focus will be Africa, Europe and Asia which I already have colonies in.

Burgenreich
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 07, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Burgenreich » Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:56 pm

Reservation

Nation Name: The Ming Dynasty
Territory: Southern China
Last edited by Burgenreich on Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Scandinavia21
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Scandinavia21 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:00 am

Burgenreich wrote:
Reservation

Nation Name: The Ming Dynasty
Territory: Southern China, with the Yangtze River as the line of demarcation

Shit is gonna escalate quickly.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse