NATION

PASSWORD

The Almighty NationStates FAQ

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:23 pm

Sophisticated horrors wrote:This in the "issues" section
How many issues can I have per day?
The game only permits a maximum of two issues per nation per day; If you want more, you can use multiple nations. However, you also can have less.

should be changed to
one every six hours

Done, can’t believe I missed that.

Also, I am reminded there are several other concerns that I have yet to add/fix, I will be doing those in a couple days when I’m off work.

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:23 pm

Saving for later to try and restore the Gameplay post, would also appreciate if a mod could.
Code: Select all
[size=150][b]GAMEPLAY[/b][/size]

[size=125][b]How do I increase my population?[/b][/size]
You can't. Your population increases automatically every 24 hours, so long as your nation exists.

[size=125][b]How do I declare war? How do I trade with other nations?[/b][/size]
Both war and trade are role played – mostly through the forums.

[i]WAR[/i] is run through the [url=http://forum.nationstates.net/viewforum.php?f=5]International Incidents[/url] subforum.

[i]TRADE[/i] is run through the [url=http://forum.nationstates.net/viewforum.php?f=6]Global Economics and Trade[/url] subforum.
If you’re just getting started with one of these actions within the forums, for the love of all that’s holy, [b]please be sure to read the stickies atop each forum[/b].  Stickies (noted with the following icons: [img]http://forum.nationstates.net/styles/prosilver-ns/imageset/sticky_read_mine.gif[/img] or [img]http://forum.nationstates.net/styles/prosilver-ns/imageset/sticky_unread.gif[/img]) are threads that offer essential, helpful information within the given forum.

I’d also recommend checking out [url=http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?p=2190737#p2190737]this thread[/url] for more information on Nation States Diplomacy.

[size=125][b]How do I invade another region?[/b][/size]
If you want to learn how to region-crash and take over the leadership of a different region, I’d suggest checking out the [url=http://forum.nationstates.net/viewforum.php?f=12]Gameplay[/url] subforum.  You may also want to look into joining (or creating) an alliance of like-minded nations since it’s all-but-impossible to successfully invade another region with only one WA nation.  WA multi-ing is [b][i]illegal[/i][/b] – as detailed [url=http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?p=2190756#p2190756]here[/url].

[size=125][b]My nations description is saying contradictory things![/b][/size]
Yup.  That’s pretty much par for the course with NationStates.  There have been some suggestions in the past to allow people to change the “environment” in which their national animal frolics.  Of course, nothing has changed in that respect as of yet, and some people have fun having their national animal, the seahorse, frolic freely in their nation's many lush forests.

Basically, there are a number of different facets to your national description that is all based on separate aspects of the game.  Some parts of your national descriptions are almost set in stone.  These aspects are very difficult to change, especially for more established nations.  The final paragraph is based on your last 4 issue choices and changes with each subsequent issue decision.  As such, it’s not uncommon for these areas of your nation to be in conflict.

For example, a popular complaint used to be that a nation that was listed as an Anarchy had no government in the first paragraph, but an "omni-present" government in the second. This was because the player had met the requirements to become an anarchy (none of which have to do with government size), but had done so through massive government intervention.

The solution? Well, there really isn't one. You can take whichever of the contradictory descriptors you want to be the "correct" description of your nation, but the game would practically have to be rewritten from the ground up to get these contradictions out.  No matter how important you think it is that you have a coherent national description, it’s not going to happen.  If this really bothers you, you can write your own national page (complete with national description!) on [url=http://www.nswiki.net/index.php?title=Main_Page]NSWiki[/url].

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:36 pm

Firstly, the link on Hobbes thread now goes to a web archive backup, in order to properly show any differences/attribution (also, it has their nice flag).
The Blaatschapen wrote:Can you add a question about population growth? mostly that it is automatic, and not influenceable by anything? :)

Not done, the forum keeps crashing when I try to edit the Gameplay post (and only that post).
Minoa wrote:Lord Dominator, I think you should add to the FAQ an entry for the “missing posts” phenomenon that occurs due to the forum search re-indexing itself every Thursday.

Source: viewtopic.php?t=508521

Why are some of my forum posts missing from the search results?

Firstly, make sure it is not Thursday, because that is currently when the forum search index is rebuilt: while the search index is rebuilt, posts may temporarily disappear from the search results.

Secondly, make sure that the post you are looking for is not in Forum 7, because Forum 7 threads are deleted (pruned) after seven days of inactivity.

Done, credit
The Unified Missourtama States wrote:
Comfed wrote:The trophies are outdated :P

I have compiled all of the current trophies in a dispatch:
https://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatch/id=1518152
^plz upvote

I'm open to it being used in the current thread, so here is the forum-friendly bbcode version of it that can be used in this FAQ:

Done, with credit

Various things Tinhampton suggested done

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:36 pm

Will make Trading Cards, Z-Day, N-Day, other minigame related things at some point, just not today.

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:48 pm

Lord Dominator wrote:Saving for later to try and restore the Gameplay post, would also appreciate if a mod could.

If a mod could what?

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:52 pm

Sedgistan wrote:
Lord Dominator wrote:Saving for later to try and restore the Gameplay post, would also appreciate if a mod could.

If a mod could what?

Fris already got it, there was an issue with a particular display bit that kept me from editing the post (and the accidentally removing it, hence the code).

Wheath
Envoy

Founded: Dec 10, 2021
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Wheath » Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:07 pm

I was just wondering how long it takes to get verified as an educator. I read the page for making a classroom, but I'd like to know about how long it would take to get verified. Asking for a friend.

From https://www.nationstates.net/page=educators
"Create a nation for yourself. When doing so, be sure to supply your e-mail address at your school/college/university. This is the main way we verify that you are an educator."

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:27 pm

Wheath wrote: I'd like to know about how long it would take to get verified

If they follow the instructions exactly, it usually takes less than a day. The actual process takes just minutes, but not all the game mods are comfortable processing class regions.

It is quite common for teachers to fail to follow the instructions, in which case it takes an indeterminate time. Every time this happens, I'm a little more disappointed in our schools.

Gadria
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 28, 2022
Ex-Nation

How to adjust the size of the referenced picture

Postby Gadria » Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:28 am

I have successfully inserted the picture through the URL of imgur, but I don't know how to adjust its size. It looks too big and takes up a large part of my layout.
If you can help me solve this problem in time, I will be very grateful. I hope to modify the size directly in the code instead of uploading small-size pictures in imgur. :p
Last edited by Gadria on Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:30 am, edited 3 times in total.

Gadria
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 28, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Gadria » Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:41 am

Gadria wrote:I have successfully inserted the picture through the URL of imgur, but I don't know how to adjust its size. It looks too big and takes up a large part of my layout.
If you can help me solve this problem in time, I will be very grateful. I hope to modify the size directly in the code instead of uploading small-size pictures in imgur. :p

Thank you. It has been solved. A method I found in other posts is to use the image scaler to modify the URL to achieve my goal. :lol2:

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:53 am

Lord Dominator wrote:TROPHIES

[...]

I was listed as a co-author on a WA resolution. Can I get a trophy for that?
As the trophies are currently coded, only the nation listed in the "Proposed By" field will get a trophy on their main nation page. It is likely quite difficult to change the code to allow co-authors to receive a trophy. After all, many SC resolutions have other nations (or regions) linked with the corresponding tags as they are relevant to the content of the resolution - not because they were involved in the drafting of the text.

Short answer: probably not.

This is wrong and I'm surprised it wasn't updated when LD edited the post containing this answer last month.

Lord Dominator wrote:What's a Historical Resolution?
These are resolutions that were passed under the United nations...

Is that lower-case "n" deliberate? :P

Tinhampton wrote:
Lord Dominator wrote:How do I code Proposal links for Telegrams?
(1) Go to the WA Proposal Page (the GA or SC specific pages are fine) and find the proposal in the list.
(2) Right above the title of the proposal, there should be a line that reads: ID: nationname_234189435 (the numbers will be random). [...]

It is wrong to assert that "the numbers will be random" - they are based on Unix timestamps. If I submitted a proposal at exactly 19:00:00 UTC on April 18th 2017, that proposal's ID would be tinhampton_1492542000, because I submitted my proposal 1,492,542,000 seconds after the Unix epoch (test for yourself by clicking on my link).

Lord Dominator wrote:FLAGS

This section might need to be revamped again in light of the new flag rules :P

Lord Dominator wrote:(Image)

This image has the Photobucket watermark on it. Consider replacement?

None of the above concerns that I raised about eighteen months ago have been addressed. (Although I think the flags section should be updated to talk about SVG flags, too.)
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:01 am

The last bit didn’t happened because the post at the time borked due to the error that Fris resolved. Other fixes will happen as I have time.

Lofia
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 19, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Lofia » Fri May 06, 2022 9:53 pm

I'd like to add a new question: Could I use the same email address for multiple nations?
Realm of Lofia · 洛菲亞王國 – "Tantum enim Terra · 唯為地球"
From Forest

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Fri May 06, 2022 10:22 pm

Lofia wrote:I'd like to add a new question: Could I use the same email address for multiple nations?

Yes - it’s actually recommended, since it stops you from accidentally having multiple WA nations.

Lofia
Lobbyist

Postby Lofia » Fri May 06, 2022 10:52 pm

Lord Dominator wrote:Yes - it’s actually recommended, since it stops you from accidentally having multiple WA nations.

Thanks for the swift reply, I should've known that earlier since I just got a warning from the WA today for that reason.
From Forest

Lofia
Lobbyist

Postby Lofia » Fri May 13, 2022 12:34 pm

Will my decision regarding the repeated issue override my old decision or will it accumulate on top of all my decisions in the past to calculate the stat changes?
From Forest

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Fri May 13, 2022 2:18 pm

Lofia wrote:Will my decision regarding the repeated issue override my old decision or will it accumulate on top of all my decisions in the past to calculate the stat changes?

Issue results are based on your present stats & policies - and the game I understand doesn’t track past issue selections enough to “override” a past choice as such.

Saksoni
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 19, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Saksoni » Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:02 pm

I need to know is WA nations following resoultions is voluntary or not. Also, Giovanniland, delgate of west pacific, has made a price abuse on Xetrin.
I know this is not for this, but i always have specific questions to people like you and i cant find a topic to them.
Last edited by Saksoni on Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If steal, only millions. If give, only best.

WayNeacTia
Senator

Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:46 pm

Saksoni wrote:I need to know is WA nations following resoultions is voluntary or not. Also, Giovanniland, delgate of west pacific, has made a price abuse on Xetrin.
I know this is not for this, but i always have specific questions to people like you and i cant find a topic to them.

You really need to post far less and read far more.
Sarcasm dispensed moderately.
RiderSyl wrote:You'd really think that defenders would communicate with each other about this. I know they're not a hivemind, but at least some level of PR skill would keep Quebecshire and Quebecshire from publically contradicting eac

wait

The Hurricane
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 02, 2022
Capitalist Paradise

Postby The Hurricane » Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:41 am

I have a question, When I go to nations that are WA, Issues Editor, Game Moderater, ect. It displays it in the top right of the nation page. Now, can I use them in dispatches? If so, what's the img URL/Address?

Chingis
Events Manager

Founded: Apr 04, 2016

Postby Chingis » Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:21 am

The Hurricane wrote:I have a question, When I go to nations that are WA, Issues Editor, Game Moderater, ect. It displays it in the top right of the nation page. Now, can I use them in dispatches? If so, what's the img URL/Address?

Those badges are not images, but rather HTML elements. For example, a Forum Mod Badge has the following HTML code:

<div class="badge">
    <div class="mod_status">
        <i class="icon-flash"></i>
        Forum Moderator
    </div>
</div>
[violet] wrote:lol
My TGs are not for Mod business

The Hurricane
Chargé d'Affaires

Capitalist Paradise

Postby The Hurricane » Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:24 pm

Chingis wrote:
The Hurricane wrote:I have a question, When I go to nations that are WA, Issues Editor, Game Moderater, ect. It displays it in the top right of the nation page. Now, can I use them in dispatches? If so, what's the img URL/Address?

Those badges are not images, but rather HTML elements. For example, a Forum Mod Badge has the following HTML code:

<div class="badge">
    <div class="mod_status">
        Forum Moderator
    </div>
</div>

1) Soooo, can I use HTML elements in dispatches?

2) Where it says "Forum Moderator", can that be changed? Would this work:

<div class="badge">
    <div class="mod_status><>
        Not a Forum Moderator
    </div>
</div>
Last edited by The Hurricane on Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chingis
Events Manager

Founded: Apr 04, 2016

Postby Chingis » Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:05 am

The Hurricane wrote:1) Soooo, can I use HTML elements in dispatches?

Answering specifically this question, I do not think that you can. Only BBCode and images.
[violet] wrote:lol
My TGs are not for Mod business

The Hurricane
Chargé d'Affaires

Capitalist Paradise

Postby The Hurricane » Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:48 am

What if a region was created where anyone who joins the regon becomes WA nation - The 1 WA nation rule is gone just for that region - when you leave the region you no longer are WA.

Feedback?

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:22 am

The Hurricane wrote:Feedback?

Don't post technical suggestions in a FAQ thread.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical