NATION

PASSWORD

World Cup 91 [roleplays]

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Forbidden Territories
Bureaucrat

Founded: Feb 26, 2022
Ex-Nation

FT News

Postby Forbidden Territories » Mon May 09, 2022 7:01 am

A Decent?? Start
By A Staff Correspondent

Tigres: If the pre match analysis, betting percentage and the fan expectations were to be considered, The Forthers had a decent first outing in the World Cup Qualification. Drawing the first game against home favourites Savojarna, and succumbing to a 1 goal defeat against The No.2 Ranked Nation in the world and arguably one of the favourites for the World Cup, Turori in the Motorad Stadium engulfed by the sea of Forther fans donning the neon green jersey and flags. Truth be told, everyone and their mother expected two resounding losses, however we were graced with a 0-0 in Savojarna.

Not much could be said about the match in Savojarna, it started at 2:00 a.m. FST .Not many casual viewers were expected to watch the match, only the veteran elderly football fan, the ones who somehow convinced their superiors, bosses to give them a leave, the children requesting their parents to remain absent for school the next day, or the ones out of job. Suffice to say, whoever planned on having an all nighter expecting a hell of a match, was disappointed , especially if they were an Savojarnan. For the Forther fans who stayed awake despite the odds, it was sort of a bittersweet feeling, their team performed better than expected, yet it was a boring match having no goals scored and a barrel of missed chances.

Matt Ress though could be seen sporting a smile after the match was over, when asked about the game, he replied
Our plan of having an aggresive gameplay was quickly neutralised for the Savojarna defenders, so I had to switch the tactics and formation against them, switching back to a 4-4-2 formation turned out to be the right decision as it allowed for better defence in iur half and forced them to be aggresive against us. We managed to get a few counters as well, however even with an aggresive gameplay, their defence still prooved to be too tough to penetrate. Quite happy with the result especially since we have had a lot of close calls in the match. Props to Rodriguez for saving that volley by Hedenburg.

After the display by Forthers against Savojarna, many fans were optimistic of the result against Turori, however the general consensus was that Turori would win , even if not by a lot considering the fact that they are a behemoth in football. The Stadium was jam packed with Forther fans. Even the recreational zone outside, the Green Field Picnic Spot , Theron Park, and The Old Calicut stadium was full of fans watching the match through the jumbotron installed in all these fan zones. Streets near these areas had been encroached by hawkers busy trying to sell merchandises and goods to fans. Fans were excited to see the match between the Forthers and The Eels

The match for all its hype after the Savojarna draw , was rather one sided. From the get go, The Eelstook possesion of the ball and began challenging the ever reliable Forther defence. Every 2nd minute had the Forther defence and midfield scrambling and struggling to take the ball away from the Eel strikers. The Eels however played possesively not giving away the ball for free, playing quick short passes, and occasionally passing back if the passage of play was blocked by defenders. Very few aerial passes were attempted by the Eel in comparison to The Forthers whose primary mode of passing was aerial due to the swiftness of Turori midfielders in ground. Despite all this, the Forthers still managed to hold on for no goals till the end of 1st half due to the perseverence of Rodriguez who stopped a couple of great shots , some solid defence by Harowitz, and the blessings of Margaret, due to whom two shots by The Eels got deflected off post, which on any other day would have been a goal. The possesion read 80 : 20 in favour of Turori, with 6 shots on goal for them. The Forthers? Well they had none ( attempted in fact , not even on goal). One Fan said:-

The Performance before half time was pretty one sided. It was like a A team vs C team fight. Without a doubt, it looked like a massacre was about to happen. Thank Margaret for without her, we would have been 3 down by now. I am hoping Ress changes us to 4- 3 -2 -1 formation because I don't see us winning or even drawing at this rate and that says a lot considering we usually play our best when defending.

The Fans who came to the Stadium expected some changes in 2nd half, and hoped for a Forther comeback. Some of them began chanting the team slogan, and started playing the Frotho Drums they had carried into the stadium. However all was in vain, as Loala Inkabu kicked the ball in the back of the net through a free kick in the 52nd minute. Although, it was just the 57th minute, and the lead was only 1,but for all the fans in the stadium, and those who were watching it at the fan parks and at home liev, the match was already lost. Some of the more casual fans started to leave while the majority remained in hopes of a miracle and a comeback. By the 63rd minute, Inkabu attempted yet another shot on goal, but he was deemed offside by the linesman in a controversial call. By the 76th minute, the decision of those who left was becoming more and more vindicated.

When the referee blew the whistle, the match was over, and the Forthers had yet again lost a match by a solitary goal in the post isolation era. Questions would be asked regarding Ress' tactics and decision in this match. However Ress had refused to entertain or interview any of our reporters. Knott is seen dejected going back into the Stadium hallway alongside the Cross brothers

The next game against Flavovespia would be crucial in regards to Forthers' rank in the KPB, as of now, only a miracle can result in Forthers qualifying for the World Cup. All other possibilties and probabilities indicate that we would need to support other nations for the World Cup. That being said, fans expect a breather against New Folgore, before resumimg difficult games against Metherwoll, Wreckeria, The 14 Stars and Juvencus. Gadria would provide calm before storm, assuming all things go according to probability. The team would finish the first cycle against Starblaydia, the 18th ranked team in the world, and a consistent heavy weight in football history.

Schedule of All Opponents For the First Cycle
Flavovespia A
New Folgore H
Metherwoll A
Wreckeria H
14 Stars A
Juvencus H
Gadria A
Starblaydia H

Other News
◇Oil Prices decrease by 11% due to lifting off of Fenwick Allied nation embargo
◇Requiem For A Dream earns over 150,000 Cordillian Aurum in its 1st day.
◇2 Terrorists killed in South Vezcorian region by Armed Forces
◇ElectionnTampeing Allegations against Former Minister Dresden Ward
Last edited by Forbidden Territories on Mon May 09, 2022 10:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

Xanneria
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 08, 2018
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Xanneria » Mon May 09, 2022 8:35 am

Burt was a man always living on the edge, his parents died when we just out of high school and he got himself involved in running. Not the Olympic sport, but illegal good running. He was a blocker for many a truck shipment of illegal goods. Now he was about to embark on a life changing and more importantly for him wallet changing adventure.

He was driving for a man known as Jerry, a trucker who knew full well what he was doing. His traditional route was from Tacoma Springs a city in southern Tacoma to Marietta the provincial capital of Galliburton. and he would have to do so in now more than 36 hours.

His shipment? Golden Lite Beer! Goldy Lite as it was mostly known as was famous as the sun and about as treasured as the sun was. Brewed in Tacoma Springs, the beer was notorious through the south part of the nation as a rare treat. Why? Well the beer itself was brewed in a way that made it hard to ship. Mainly it was not Pasteurized and that meant it was hard to sell south of Leitner province. Even well past the days of illegal weed smuggling in Xanneria, smugglers could easily ply their trade in 2045 thanks to Goldy Lite. You could get it down to the Plymouth provinces in about 4-5 hours hi-tailing it but when ya got out of there if the cops would be tight on your rear if you were hi tailing it even more. Speeding trucks were generally a sign of speeding bootleggers!

As Burt got up to the meeting point, he met his trucker, Jerry. Jerry had been running this beer down south for a while, but this client he got was a very mysterious one. Nothing was known aside from the fact he wanted some Goldy Lite delivered to a Provincial park outside of Marietta between the town of Marietta and the port of Marietta.

So after a while Jerry and Burt got out of the Goldy Range as it was known to the smugglers (The area in which Golden Lite could be sold), the gunned it, and wouldn't you know it there were cops! Thats why Burt had himself a nice souped up hot rod! a sleek red and gold Petty HiBall! He was a blocker, he would distract the cops and lead drivers off their tail. He was good at it and as soon as they saw that Hi-ball they know what was coming. But even if they knew what was coming they couldn't get the ol' outlaw Burt.

Eventually they came across the park in Marietta, two men were standing there. And wouldn't you know it, one of those men was Galliburton Provincial Governor, James Steinbach.

"you must be Jerry" said Governor Steinbach "You've probably dealt with my handler Tom Burns before"

"Burns works for you? This better not be a set up man!"

just then Burt popped out of his ride, topped in a cowboy hat and face caterpillar that would make any man trying to grow one jealous.

"Wait your the governor!"

"Yup and I see both ya'll made it in 22 hours, nice job boys! Just what I wanted to see. I think you may wanna talk to my buddy Alain over here"

"He's got a white polo on man, should I trust him"

"Well boys," Alain introduced himself "I am NIA so maybe you should maybe you shouldn't. But where here at the National Intelligence Agency have a gig for you two if you so want it!"

"A Spy gig?" questioned Burt "Why us?"

"Not quite. You see after the Nyowani Kitara incident, many people were shocked and appalled at what happened there, but with Sage Davidson's government they did nothing and the public soon responded by voting him out. We now got a situation even closer we need to keep our eyes. Tumbra has attacked some small civilian outposts in the north. This brings us an issue where one of our trade partners is doing something rather moralistically scandalous. So what the best solution the government came up is they will try to "bribe" Tumbran officials while you guys smuggle guns into The Northlands behind everyone's backs. You know what they say in government in Xanneria? We are secretly supporting the freedom fighters in Northlands while also being openly more diplomatic about it. As they say in Xannerian government, two trading partners are better than one! Now you know there's chance you could caught and bad things will happen, but we'll do our best to get your out, and if you succeed, you both will be handsomely compensated by us. but we figured hiring some one like you as an "Independant Contractor" would work better." - Alain

So the boys took the job and soon they were on a freighter from Xanneria to far southern Kita-Hinode, where they would then drive a truck from there into the wilderness between the two regions. soon they would embark on a crazy adventure.

Ko-Oren scores against Xanneria.....Wait what?
excerpt from https://www.xtrasports.xan/nationalteam.htm

DOMINICA CITY - Usually when people think of Ko-oren they think of a team who can stop a team from scoring and keep them from getting the ball. Tonight the game was a bit different. Instead of Ko-Oren playing keep away in their own side fo the field, they took advantage frequently of poor passing from the Xannerians, and would score 3 (Ok technically twice but we'll get to that.) times before the Maroons could get sniff a shot. In fact a total of 32 minutes in the first half were spent in the Xannerian side of the field.

Hurorinul Bonstirthinden made a start for the Dragonflys as they chose to rest traditional starter Aurin Aomelirea for the first game or two to keep them fresh for the long haul. Hurorinul took advantage getting a break away goal against a Maroons team playing really far up on the ball. Bonstirthinden then booted the ball by Jefferson Jr who couldn't do any thing to stop that speeding bullet. Geomraff yCinrhadd got in on the action, taking one shot from a fair bit back that just bounced over a diving Jefferson Jr. Then we saw Jefferson make a great save from Bonstirthinden, only to pass the ball backwards into an open net thinking a teammate was there behind him. Yes Jefferson scored an Own Goal!

Xanneria did finally get themselves in a spot where they could get some shots in Ko-oren territory which is a feat on it's own, We saw the diminutive Allison Burns out run the entire Ko-orenite XI to get one past keeper Edou Bittencourt. Lastly Justin Ingram showed why the Maroons had faith in him by getting an extra time goal past Bittencourt. Needless to say after the WC87 cycle they expect better from their keepers than what Bittencourt showed.

(Burns 48' Ingram 90+2) Xanneria 2 - 4 Ko-oren (Bonstirthinden 19' 62' yCinrhadd 35' Jefferson Jr (OG) 41' )

Jefferson rebounds and so do Maroons
excerpt from https://www.xtrasports.xan/nationalteam.htm

GNEJS - The embarrassment of the own goal for Even Jefferson Jr, Evan rebounded nicely against a good Gnejs team looking to reinvent itself in international footballing. Allison Burnes also showed the over capacity home crowd of 30,000 a good show as the crowded stadium watched as she scored a hat trick. Jefferson's clean sheet is projected to be one of many he will get as the son of Evan Jefferson looks to take his claim. The goalie situation had been a bit sketchy for the Maroons as Hailey Rae Crawford was left off the WCQ roster due to a poor performance in the FLOX Omega Division season, which many aren't even blaming her for. But alas Jefferson will be the primary keeper as immortal Xannerian legend Mookie Danube returns to the NT too as a back up. Youn phenom Tero Keppinan will also be rostered.

Also scoring was Gil McKenna. A silent hero of Xannerian football McKenna is a star for Capital FC and although Capital is seen mostly as a mid teir Omega Division team, no one can doubt the star power of McKenna. the 70' shot from the left side of the goal was a great shot and frankly we could see a breakout from McKenna in the future. Also playing well was newcomer David Iowa, many thought of him as a big fish in a little pond at U of South Delano but he proved those doubters wrong with sound fundamentals and defence.

(NONE) Gnejs 0 - 4 Xanneria (Burns 38' 42' 81' McKenna 70')
Last edited by Xanneria on Tue May 10, 2022 8:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Xanneria: My main nation
Teams
NATIONAL FOOTBALL TEAM: Maroons - Record 80-23-59 (W-D-L) (This may not be 100% accurate)
FIRST CONTEST: Copa Esportiva 23
FIRST GAME: Vangazaland 3-1 Xanneria
FIRST WIN: 5-3 vs Qingland
LARGEST MOV: 5-0 vs Pineapple Porcupines/ 7-2 vs Starcom Racing/5-0 vs HAIKU
CHAMPIONSHIPS:Baptism of Fire 69 (Nice!) winner / Group Winner CE24
Non Association Football Stats
NSCF TEAMS: Xannerian Polytechnic
NSSCRA: Cars #10,12,16

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Valentine Z » Mon May 09, 2022 9:01 am

Part 2 – Head Start.

Vice Premier Ministre Markus Tom Lincoln Schillinger Lewis Joyelle Wei Jaiden X. “Hraður Og Banvænn” Nordmann M. Geoff Julius Wyatt Junius Mar Sigfastur H. Vix Svanmundur Gunnarsson stood beside her, being briefed by the cheerful and blue robot that is Exuberant Superintendent T-2000/2904-3 Surveillant Clarissa Alanis Star Breya « La Amoureux Chéri » Millie Taissa Butterfly Mélody Coraline Jolijn Trini Clementine Hollie Samantha Zeta Harumi on that one fateful day. The keys and the team have been effectively handed to him, with Clarissa cheering on for Markus. “You will do great with managing, don’t worry about it! Hey, I have been there, it’s okay! Me and the team have been there. The first day is not always the easiest, but you just have to try, and give it a shot! You will never know until you try it, you know? Haha, all the best! Oh, and of course, please don’t hesitate to let me know if anything happens or you need my help. You may be leading the team starting from now, but you know I and the rest of the Valentians are always there to help you out! We might need more goalkeepers, as a note. Good luck!”

He waved goodbye, as she flew back to Valentine Z. The rest of the team have been waiting for him inside for a speech of his own, to which he was more than ready for. He didn’t need to write it like one of those speeches from a President of the World, but he certainly needed to make sure that he was showing a positive image to his team. He wasn’t nervous, perhaps more concerned with whether or not he would be able to motivate them as well. It has been a full year since the Kittens have played on the international grounds, with the Cup of Harmony 82 concluding with quite a high note for them. This time for the 91st World Cup, the players and the teams have changed, but certainly with familiar names and countries here and there. For instance, Joshua (coach of Gwen’s Angels for International Basketball Championship / IBC) reached out to him to tell him more about Tjorl, about how they were about to play against them but there was a last minute change. Upon further questions being asked, however, Joshua shrugged a little, embarrassed. “To be perfectly honest, I don’t know much about these guys that well, as well. It was my first season there in IBC just like how this is for you. All I can say is, well, they got the spirit. Just be careful out there.” And there was that, Markus was left to his own accord. However, he was used to such a thing, and thus would not be a bother. He walked into the lounge, the Valentian Kittens (including the substitutes) waiting for him. “Vice PM Markus!” Clemente Kenneth Evans L. Jiang Guanyu exclaimed, excited to see him though a little shocked as well, “What a surprise! Wait, you are the Captain and the Manager of the team?” Markus nodded, to which many cheers were had, what with him being the Vice Prime Minister of Vostrov. “Ahah, please, just call me Markus, I think that’s fine. Would be a little too formal otherwise, wouldn’t it?” the team nodded and cheered excitedly once again, followed by Markus continuing on with his speech. He didn’t need the cue cards, it was all in him.

“Thank you for your very warm and kind welcome to the Valentian Kittens, as you guys have done just now. I am more than honoured to lead you guys, really. I’m also sure without a doubt that Clarissa has treated you guys very well and to the best of her abilities, though I know part of the reason why I am here is due to the fact that she’s got her own things to take care of. We all can respect that, and I’m glad that you all have given her that respect, as she told me. Now, of course, I am admittedly still a newcomer to the world of International Football, though I have played against some school teams now and then in Valentine Z, I think I have seen a few of you last year, haha. I will try my best to lead you guys through this season, and to many more to come, and please be reassured that I will not, you know, reprimand you guys or anything like that. After all, we are here for fun, even with a little bit of stakes involved here and there. This definitely means a lot to most of you, and that’s okay. At the end of the day, however, remember to play together as a team and not get into fights – among yourselves or otherwise. I will do my best to steer you guys the right way- I will admittedly need to read a lot of strategy guides and read on about the rosters of the opponents, but you know, it might be fun! It might be worth a shot, nonetheless! So, here’s to the best for Valentine Z! I heard that you guys did amazing in the last Cup of Harmony, so what do you say that this time, we will try to go further?” Markus paused for a while for a dramatic effect, then continued, “Pass the qualifications!”

For the most of it, Markus read through Clarissa’s notes and tips, and would leave his team to do most of the decisions and the plays. The strategizing and putting the players into the field would be his calling, but he realised that he did not need to do that for the most parts. After all, the Valentians have shown quite a track record of avoiding yellow cards let alone a red one, as well as sustaining as little injuries as possible. Foot sprains and bruises were still prevalent, even with all the cautions, and thus was the reason as to why Clarissa suggested that they tried to get another goalkeeper in case both Dawson Joshiah Davidson Brooks Marshall (#1, GK) and Martina Anastasia Hedvig X. Luna Bukvić (#64, GK) were down for the count, and that they would have no choice but to use one of the other substitutes to be in a goalkeeping role, something that would have been a massive setback for the Kittens. For the first matchday, the Valentian Kittens arrived in Tjusto, Versehn, specifically at the stadium named Morsteinstadion, the largest out of the 3 venues with a capacity of 75,126 seats. Their line-up was typical, as stated in the roster of theirs, with Valentians also doing the same. For the first day of the match that started in another country, the Valentians were hoping to not get injuries. They might switch up to give the other players a chance, however.

[OOC: Please do correct and godmod me if the formation the players are in are incorrect. I have tried to the best of my abilities to follow the formation and the players that are in each category. ^^]

Tjorl’s (De Frostkjemper (The Frost Giants)) Roster (4-2-3-1)
Goalkeeper:
#1 | Stefan Johanssen (25 y.o. | 1.93 m | Asurblau Afoln | Right-footed)

Defenders:
#2 | Harald Giehl (27 y.o. | 1.87 m | Konunsfjord 014 | Right-footed)
#3 | Franz Kaufer (31 y.o. | 1.90 m | Asurblau Afoln | Right-footed)
#4 | Erich Karjalainen (23 y.o. | 1.88 m | Czujon 022 SC | Left-footed)
#5 | Karoline Steinssen (28 y.o. | 1.86 m | FC Arensand 08 Kvinnerien | Right-footed)

Midfielders:
#8 | Johan Kalbfleisch (19 y.o. | 1.88 m | Czujon 022 SC | Left-footed)
#20 | Hans Beringer (26 y.o. | 1.77 m | Asurblau Afoln | Right-footed)
#24 | Elisabet Kruse (24 y.o. | 1.77 m | FC Arensand 08 Kvinnerien | Right-footed)

Forwards:
#7 | Martin Breiner (25 y.o. | 1.83 m | Czujon 022 SC | Right-footed)
#9 | Nikolaj Eriksen (22 y.o. | 1.85 m | Asurblau Afoln | Right-footed)
#10 | Kevin Olssen (23 y.o. | 1.79 m | Asurblau Afoln | Right-footed)

-----

Valentian Kittens Roster (3-3-4)
Goalkeeper:
# 1 - Dawson Joshiah Davidson Brooks Marshall - 429.80 cm - M - 32 - Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, Alanis Star, Valentine Z

Forward:
# 3 - Holly Annemiek Gerrieke Van De Hoogte - 431.60 cm - F - 36 - Zaanstad, Netherlands, Victoriaans Nederlands, Valentine Z
# 6 - Štěpánka Caitlin Madeline W. Sedláčková - 433.47 cm - F - 31 - Brno, South Moravian, Czech Republic, Valentine Z
# 7 - Emerson Jamie Taylor Erin Scott Maddox - 426.14 cm - M - 33 - Mankato, Minnesota, United States of America, Voorzichtigheid, Valentine Z

Midfielders:
# 14 - Katarzyna Violetta Zofia Aleks Polańska - 438.50 cm - F - 34 - Chorzów, Poland, Valentine Z
# 20 - Sammie Arif Raihan Bin Mohamamad Andika - 427.31 cm - M - 35 - Singapore, Singapore, Valentine Z
# 31 - Daina Allison Leela Phon Seng Sreynuon - 419.50 cm - F - 29 - Sihanoukville, Cambodia, Valentine Z

Defenders:
# 50 - Helen Jennifier Hiroto Morishita Chiyumi - 434.50 cm - F - 28 - Osaka, Kansai, Honshu, Japan, Vostrov, Valentine Z
# 55 - Nathaniel Orla Hayden Johnstone McMahon - 432.00 cm - M - 36 - East Kilbride, South Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom, Victoriaans Nederlands, Valentine Z
# 60 - Marlene Isabelle Lisa Roselyne Pasquier - 420.22 cm - F - 31 - Saint-Denis, Paris, France, Victoriaans Nederlands, Valentine Z
# 70 - Vanuza Poliane Elaine Castro dos Reis - 425.31 cm - F - 29 - Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil, Alanis Star, Valentine Z

Scoring and signficant events of the match (the scoring events’ minutes were randomly generated, with events in-between also being random numbers):
- 10’ : Martin Breiner of Tjorl scored a goal against the Valentian Kittens when they were least expecting it, netting a 1–0 with a first goal against Val Z.
- 15’ : The biggest goal scorer of the team, Holly Annemiek Gerrieke Van De Hoogte, scored a goal against the Tjorlins, netting a 1–1 so far for Kittens.
- 21’ : Katarzyna Violetta Zofia Aleks Polańska slipped and nearly fell. She continued playing soon afterwards, though was more involved in checking herself.
- 26’ : With the Valentians distracted with the defensive play, Karoline Steinssen kicked the ball hard and shot it across and grazed past Dawson. 2–1.
- 34’ : Štěpánka Caitlin Madeline W. Sedláčková scored a goal against the Tjorlins through a rebound and a ricochet that nearly missed Stefan. 2–2.
- 43’ : Daina Allison Leela Phon Seng Sreynuon and Sammie Arif Raihan Bin Mohamamad Andika nearly smacked each other on the field from a slip.
- 48’ : Marlene Isabelle Lisa Roselyne Pasquier intercepted and blocked the ball that was coming from the forwards of the Tjorlins, stopping a goal.
- 55’ : Through a series of clever plays and backward to forward passes, Hans Beringer shot the ball into the goal line, netting a 3–2. Dawson sighed.
- 62’ : In a slightly aggressive play that nearly tripped her friend, Holly Annemiek Gerrieke Van De Hoogte scored a goal near Tjorlin defenders. 3–3.
- 64’ : A rather surprising move from Helen Jennifier Hiroto Morishita Chiyumi, whom instead of passing the ball, shot it straight to the goal. 3–4.
- 70’ : The Valentians managed to get the ball out of the field, the ball going past the touch line. The Throw-In awarded to the Tjorlins. No other event.
- 75’ : The Tjorlin (Nikolaj Eriksen) tried to score a goal against the Valentians, kicking the ball towards the goalpost. Dawson managed to intercept.
- 80’ : Sammie Arif Raihan Bin Mohamamad Andika tried to get a goal in, but was unable to. Solid defense from the Tjorlins. This went on for 5 mins.
- 86’ : Katarzyna Violetta Zofia Aleks Polańska, as hard as she could, kicked the ball towards the goal, but her leg slipped. Suffered a small sprain.
- 87’ : The above decided to continue on, but kept a low profile on the field. Emerson Jamie Taylor Erin Scott Maddox got the ball after a pass, then a kick.

Final score: 3–5. 3 for the Frost Giants, 5 for the Valentian Kittens. Many cheers and hugs were had, with Holly being more or less slowly becoming a celebrity, something that she was not that attuned and showed a favour to. “I mean, I did try my best, but at the end of it, I could not have done it without my teammates! They have been wonderful! Oh, and my apologies to Marlene as well, I nearly hit her on the field when I was running to get that ball in!”
Last edited by Valentine Z on Mon May 09, 2022 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

New Eestiball
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 06, 2021
Left-wing Utopia

Postby New Eestiball » Mon May 09, 2022 9:43 am

New Eestiball has been defeated. In their opener to the World Cup Qualifying, they were flattened by Garifunya, 4-1, with the only goal coming to 781 when there was no doubt about the outcome. Garifunya played like the favorite, quickly making it 1-0 in minute 17, then 2-0 in minute 28, with their third goal coming in the 51st minute. The Garifunyans made it 4-0 in the 76th, and finally, in the 93rd minute, 781 sent it past the goalie. But there was no time to rest, their next match was coming soon.

Somehow, New Eestiball has won. After getting walked over by Garifunya in Garifunya, the doorknobs managed to upset Aut-Ves-Nat in their first home game. 58,767 people gathered to watch Aut-Ves-Nat allow seven goals while scoring only two. After 832 scored, Aut-Ves-Nat managed to tie it up. However, in the 25th minute, the Aut-Ves-Nat goalkeeper made an amazing diving save; the only problem was they fell really hard. The goalkeeper was in extreme pain, however, they managed to get back on late in the second half, in the 83rd minute, and will be fine for their next match. But by then, the damage had been done. Aut-Ves-Nat couldn't get past 937 after their first goal, and the resulting counter-attack got a goal for 982 in the 29th minute. 709 scored 10 minutes later, and the score was 3-1 going into halftime. Right out of the gate, Aut-Ves-Nat started with the ball and halved their deficit. But it would be the last goal they scored, as one minute later 781 got their second goal of the cycle. 832 got another shot past the goalie in the 55th minute, and from there on out New Eestiball dominated.709 was fed the ball quite often, and score twice more, in the 62nd and 77th minute. Aut-Ves-Nat played like the better team once they got their goalie back, but it was too little too late: when the final whistle blew, the score stood at New Eestiball 7, Aut-Ves-Nat 2. But after the match ended, there was a much more important thing to think about.
Match Result
New Eestiball 7
832 9', 55'
982 29'
709 39', 62', 77'
781 48'
Aut-Ves-Nat 2
'18
'47

Elections in New Eestiball are 5-yearly occasions, and this one happens to be after MD4. There is an unlikely alliance between the Nationalists, based in Narva, and the Anarchists, on the other side of the country in Parnu. They are both anti-alliance, which is the main talking point. New Eestiball is a member of Indeco, and both the Nationalists and Anarchists want to pull out. They are projected to get 34 seats, mostly in Kohtla-Jarve, Parnu, and Ida-Viru counties. Pro-alliance are the Progressives, based in Harju, Tartu, and Rapia counties, and the Conservatives, based in the agrarian southern counties of Voru and Valga. 34 seats is barely enough to get 1/3 of the Riikikogu, and 1/3 is enough to veto anything military. So, indeco will become a purely economic alliance for New Eestiball. It will all come down to swing Polva county.

Next up: the hardest match of qualifying, visiting the best team in the world, and hosting a Vilita team that, although they dropped their first 2 matches, are more than enough to overpower New Eestiball.
Last edited by New Eestiball on Mon May 09, 2022 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
current song: eminence front by the who
this flag inspired by scytharum's old one
base-6 is inherently the best base
you can find me in nssports as the martian independent republic but the nation I'm writing lore for is asiikafa
likes: the beatles/the cure/the who/most 60s and 70s music in general/liberal democracy/abstraction/vexillology
dislikes are unnecessary because the world doesn't need more negativity

Saint Eleanor
Envoy

Founded: Feb 02, 2021
Compulsory Consumerist State

Cathy Winchester on Cathy Winchester

Postby Saint Eleanor » Mon May 09, 2022 11:31 am

World Cup 91 - first matchday of qualification
South Newlandia 3 (Brandon Irving goals 25' and 83', Reid Gomez goal 56')
Saint Eleanor 3 (David Newcastle goal 9', Katie O'Donnell goal 63', Dekamela weMexala goal 68')

Cathy Winchester: "Dave obviously had a point when he ribbed me about that penalty"
Chief Football Correspondent Jamie Rodgers does the rounds with Saint Eleanor's best young defender on how she got there - and if she can become even better
Originally published on Saturday 30th January 1999

If you're ever cruising along the residential streets around Central district or the rich neighbourhoods surrounding it and you chance a green sign reading "FOR SALE - WINCHESTER," there's a good reason for that. Paul Winchester, the patriarch of the family, is arguably Saint Eleanor's best-known real estate agent, if only because word of his big sales regularly reaches the local press. His daughter is quite possibly more famous, but it was never meant to be.

Cathy Winchester - "officially, I'm Catherine but not even my parents call me that" - now Saint Eleanor's premier leftback with the recent falling away of Paul Johnson and Luke Gregory, has always been in line to inherit the family business, and is fully intent on doing so once she retires from football a few decades down the line. But why does she like football so much? "I've read your John Bailey piece - I like reading, but mostly whatever neat pop science is floating around the bookstore these days, and Bridget [Coombe] can hold a serious conversation much better than I can anyway. My story isn't nearly as exciting: I was bored one lunchtime twelve years ago, went to the playground and asked if I could join in with the lads - of course they had to be. Whatever attacking opportunities I had were limited but they weren't zero, I was pretty good at their equivalent of defending and I happen to be left-footed, so come the community school trials they just stuck me at leftback."

Those trials definitely seemed to work out well, as Winchester was called up to play in 1995's Charles Trump Shield. She started every game... "all three of them. The first game against North Seville was easy, no big problems, solid 5-0 win; the second against Wellington, I think, was more of a challenge but not too much: balls easily won, balls easily stopped. Victor Bone was the real culprit because he made a couple of bad mistakes - he admitted to it, I appreciate his honesty and he's still playing. Number three was University College and put simply, when the prospect of making the quarters emerged, we couldn't manage. They did. It's that simple: I thought I had Gary Fenton closed down for a good bit but he knew how to get places I most certainly didn't expect, that was that battle lost and I think with it the game." To her surprise, the PE department thought she wasn't that bad: "they told me that I tried my best given the circumstances, especially in the last sixteen, and that I was surprisingly literate at the things that matter. My teacher actually said I was a good all-rounder: not the fastest or the most physical but still good at marking, tackling, distribution, and so on. They actually insisted I carry on with the sport!"

Having signed for Independence 1975 upon graduating eighteen months later, in for retiring stalward Frank Smart, Winchester thrived in her first season - and Indy's last with a title. Before I could even ask her the question I ask everyone else, she immediately invokes Indy's win at home to Army and Navy that season, where she came up against Darren Batchelor. "Darren wasn't the best but he was their brightest, if I may tool about with that turn of phrase. He was also everywhere, and I mean everywhere: I even got a yellow card for my troubles. Shuffling the ball, trying to dink it over me - I'm only five foot three, for crying out loud! - rounding me one side then the other, just flat-out going the other way, whatever. I ended up just about getting there most of the time in the end, sometimes because I was actually ahead of him on the ball, and we won 1-0 - but I think it's become very clear, very quickly, that good enough actually isn't good enough when you're with our lot. Excellence is the expectation, and I'm thinking to myself now thank goodness, I don't want to be stuck in the okay zone."

Her second choice - now that I have the time to press her on which matches she felt most made her the footballer she is today - was the second leg of Indy's Challengers' Cup tie with Marine Coast United in 1998, "another boring, unimpressive game which we were astonishingly lucky to take to extra time at all. The shootout that followed was 4-4 and into sudden death when I put my hand up and volunteered, if that's the right word, to take the sixth penalty. Fyin Miateal, who I'll admit is a promising young player who deserves to play for the Vilitan nationals, had a pretty good go, low and hard and all the way just off-centre where John Bailey wasn't expecting. What did I do? Go to the right a bit, take a couple of steps back, try and angle my effort so it goes into the side netting - but instead it goes out off the post. You should have seen my face when that happened! Dave obviously had a point when he ribbed me about the penalty - he scored his take, he thought I was just naturally a rigorous student of the game like he was and couldn't believe I did that in front of 10% of the Eleanorian population. Getting that laser-focus is the objective, yes, but I'm thankful the club trusts me with half of their corner kicks right now."

Number three, a few months later, was a 1-1 draw against Sword and Shield, who eventually finished runners-up. "My fault! As anyone can tell you, this wasn't so much an exploitative team as a good one and [manager Derek] Pittam insisted I really had to go at them - keep on doing your normal job, yes, but also get forward, overlap Newcastle and the rest like they do at the other clubs, see if you can swing in a few crosses or perhaps even take a shot or two. Jessica Martin and Evan Kilkenny on my part of the field were actually top-notch, always trying to outsmart me and play us at our own game, and they actually succeeded a lot of the time. Jess hit one on the other side of the pitch for Hugh [Roanoke] to feed on with twenty minutes left and it was good, but none of us wanted to give up after that. Quite frankly, we didn't, kept on fighting, good on Bobby Smith for winning a corner about five minutes later, cleared out a bit, I had no idea what to do so I remained on my edge of their penalty box and all of a sudden I just swing a low pass from Dave into the net and level things up. I don't know how that happened but I'm definitely up for more of the same."

Winchester is effusive with praise for her clubmates, despite having only worked with them for two years: "of course I'll have to start with Liam [West], the captain of the ship - bless her - who's astonishingly good at getting people up and prepared for what's coming. People think the other defenders, Luke [Elliott] and Don[ald Hutchings], are getting on in years a bit but I'd say they're pretty good as well, both nice and consistent and with a good sense of position and what they want out of every game. Alice Christopher is there and she was definitely more dependable than [James] Trott in midfield when he was still with us; we don't talk often, she isn't a talkative person, but she's reassuring in all departments from what I've seen of her."

Hold on a minute: People consider Elliott to have central-midfield tendencies, for the most part. Yet some watchers of Indy insist that her skillset, too, is closer to that of a traditional midfielder - including manager Derek Pittam himself. Why has she never moved? "I almost forgot about Derek! He gets on my nerves, a bit sometimes but I think everybody's thinking that. He definitely doesn't want people to break from the system he's set up or go too crazy off the field and that, I'd say, is quite sensible." Doesn't that system involve none other than Cathy Winchester at leftback? "I know Alice Christopher and James Trott - I don't agree with Jamie for the most part - played in central midfield and he wanted me there too but I said no thanks, I've always stayed behind, Saint Eleanor doesn't have many wide defenders and I think my skills would be best used there. I'm glad he agrees with that."

But her closest friend at the club is a left midfielder, David Newcastle, "a proper working-class lad - I'm definitely not! his parents have to pay attention when they're doing their jobs, he feels as though he's bound to meet their standards too, and he's always the one I end up bumping into whenever I need a bit of motivation for whatever's coming up ahead. I enjoy setting him up more than I do pitching across the field to Don or Bob, he usually tries and delivers for the team, and we have a great relationship off the pitch: sometimes in a passable fast-food place, sometimes at Premium Coffee, talking about the issues of the day, really, and how we can improve as players on top of that. I can't say I agree with him on affordable housing developments, mind."

She is now a regular starter for an Independence squad in decline, which has largely won three titles in a row but does not look like seriously contesting for any more. "That is, with all sincerity, a load of nonsense. The same players who won so many titles can't win any more? I'd agree that a good Evans-style clearout is probably needed, but I wouldn't be too drastic and I'd maybe sign a few potentially-good players every year to replace the ones we don't want or need. That's the way we get back into the game, and it's definitely what's happening right now: Layla [Grover] can be a bit aggressive at times and she definitely has the potential, but at least this season, I don't know how we're going to compete with everyone else and their new players. I'm told there are plans for after that, however."

Surprisingly for a fledgling Big Four star, Winchester is adamant that "the diversity of players and clubs they've been blooding into the national team recently is brilliant and it definitely shows what our nation is all about: we don't care who you are or what you've been through, just whether you can do the right job at the right time." Asked who she'd call up to the White Stars if she could, she nominates Tim Brandon of Grand Beach: "I know he's fast as all fuck and generally horrible to deal with on the few times I've played against him - I can get physical sometimes and I've checked a lot of players over the past couple of years, none more so than him. He's doing this against me right now, however, not the me that played in the Charles Trump Shield, and all of that probably shows he could do it against anyone."

And her favourite member of the current camp - other than the Indy contingent? "Definitely Bridget! Of course I don't agree with her on everything, but when football's off I sometimes get on the bus to Parkside, visit her and her parents - we both live with our parents - talk about how life's going, about the national team, what we're planning; she likes talking to me about scientific discoveries and I blast her with macroeconomic nonsense in return." She recounts a recent incident at a local pub where "I go to the bar and order a couple of pints of White Star [the state-owned brewery's signature real ale] and I'm thinking about paying the tab myself, then Bridget says 'sorry, I only drink water' and slaps down a tenner! I know that isn't exactly true, she's partial to green and herbal tea every now and then, but I paid her back the next day by getting her one of those fancy leather jackets. I can reassure you she really likes it."

You could almost feel her infectious giggling from Esportiva. In the recent 3-3 draw away to second-seeded South Newlandia - Winchester's international debut - some argued that she was too loose in marking opposition captain Brandon Irving, who opened the Elephants' account before coming up with a late equaliser following a mazy dribble into the penalty area. Naturally, she insists that "I tried my very best but there are some people like Brandon - not you, Tim - who are consistently good for whatever team they're on, and it doesn't matter how good you are, they'll probably find a way around you. I'd say I'm definitely improving at man-to-man marking, getting to the ball first and all of that, and I definitely chased him down a lot, but I clocked a couple of minor fouls in the process - I'm hardly perfect and I couldn't think of a better showcase of what skills I could be lacking, anyway. Here's to nineteen more of this!"

Many people think that Winchester can be a bit annoying while she's on the pitch. Those who know her reckon she's a likable, bubbly and generally kind person off it. But she doesn't hit either extreme as much as Saint Eleanor's other great fullback, and with good reason.
Last edited by Saint Eleanor on Mon May 09, 2022 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
****** The Grand Republic of Saint Eleanor - area 2,863mi2, population 489,816, 1.6 cups of coffee/Eleanorian/day - it's 2000 (OOC: obvious Tinhampton puppet)
BoF76 quarterfinalists --- WC91 participants

Why? George Mitcham, General then and now, cofounded the National Liberation Front in 1971 to demand a free Saint Eleanor. He got his wish in '75 after a 15-month war: becoming President, appointing notable NLF friends and some charity's executive director as VPs and calling them legislators. He has retained power through oil money; zero income tax; free healthcare, schooling, public transport - and markets; tolerating dissent on apolitical matters; allowing private gun ownership (with plenty of training) to protect against future invasions; high-quality PR; and football.

Mon Sold
Secretary

Founded: Mar 25, 2022
Democratic Socialists

Postby Mon Sold » Mon May 09, 2022 12:10 pm

Mon Sports!
Domestic and International Sports Wire from the Grand Duchy!

Our First Win!

By: Carmen Parri
SORAGHAST, Mon Sold - The cafes were booming this afternoon across Soraghast as the Bowheads claimed their first international win against the MIlchama Warriors in an unexpected 1-0 score. Given the team's performance in the Baptism of Fire many fans expected a possible draw against what local experts believed to be a formidable team. The match took place at the Pendulum Center, its open-top stadium roaring as Assies scored his first international goal. Given the amount of booming celebration the stadium quite literally shook, as nearly half a century of repressed emotion came surging forth. Match day was nearly as perfect as one could hope with clear skies and a gentle breeze as the game kicked off mid-morning. Neither team had played the other before and it would be expected that caution would reign -- but this was a mistake that nearly costed the Bowheads their win as the Warriors came screaming out of nowhere at the 17th minute, driving towards the goal and sweeping aside Simoes and Zanetti, sending a strike that was almost certain to score with the Warrior's Flomes making the attempt. Despite being out of position, due to feints, Mandadori dived and the ball brushed his fingertips sending it just off course just enough for the block. This seemed to jolt the Bowheads into action as they settled in their defensive posture afterwards, only breaking out and trying for a goal when it seemed the Warriors might have lost their steam. Even then it didn't seem hopeful, as attempts at the 24, 28, and 46 minutes each seemed poised to be successful only for Inthracam to solidly deny each one.

After the last attempt the Warriors changed pace, the Bowheads reacted poorly with Bakema failing to retain control of the ball, and Waver took control. A quick kick sent it towards Fenet (who had been dominating the midfield up until this point), but out of no where Perrault rushed him and sent the battle down the right side towards Campo. Trios was on him, but quick leg work put Campo past him and driving towards the goal. "Big Man" Foster (as he's become known in Soraghast now) moved to stop the advance, as he'd done many times before, only for quick pass to Assies to throw him out of position. Assies gave a solid kick, sending the ball sailing into the left side of the goal, managing to catch Inthracam out of position! The stadium, as previously mentioned, erupted in celebration. One would think this was the final minute of the game and the Bowheads had performed some sacred miracle!

The score seemed to unsettle the Warriors. Mon Sold was an unknown quantity and with its ban on organized sports lifted only twenty years ago, one could hardly blame them for believing the Bowheads would be simple pushovers. The tempo on the game changed with the Bowheads showing a bit of undisciplined behavior by seeming to abandon their defensive mindset and rushed immediately at the 49 minute mark that, while unsuccessful, had a Yellow Card handed to "Big Man" Foster for aggressive play. Despite this blunt message from the Warriors, the over zealous Bowheads charged forward again three times between 57 and 63 minute marks. Each time the Warriors shutdown the advances, with Foster proving instrumental (if a bit gentler). Reality began to set back in by the 77th minute when the Warriors surged back. The Bowheads had worn themselves out and had it not been for an excellent performance by Mandadori, its quite possible that fortune would've favored Milchama.

The rest of the game was almost completely dominated by Milchama with the Bowheads shifting back onto the defensive at the furious demands of Head Coach Elbert Willems. Only in the last minute of the game did the Sjaak Rey, captain, urge the team forward in a final drive, if for no other reason than the end the match on an aggressive note. Despite the inherent risks, and the clear displeasure of Willems, the drive was shutdown but no reversal occurred.

After the game, I was able to meet up with Valeriano Assies (Striker) and get his thoughts on the match:

Assies: "It was incredible. Obviously its not my first goal, but it sure felt like it. Since the Baptism we've been working on our cohesion. We all come from different clubs so its hard to form comradery with guys you were training to beat a few months ago, you know?"

Parri: "Absolutely, that can't be easy to overcome. Is there any cohesion starting to form?"

Assies: "Well we won ... so something must be happening (laughter). But, yeah I'd say Bernardo, Theun, and myself have begun to mesh well. We really took our practices a bit farther trying to learn each others strengths and weaknesses so we don't repeat what happened in the Baptism ..."

Parri: "How do you see the team's chances going forward? Your next match is against Efnakia. Are you eager for that rematch?"

Assies: "We'll get 'em. Do it for Kool!" (Walks off)
Last edited by Mon Sold on Mon May 09, 2022 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sarzonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 22, 2004
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Sarzonia » Mon May 09, 2022 12:33 pm

The first time viewing the pitch for World Cup qualifying was a jarring experience for the players and managerial staff of the Sarzonian national football team.

They were in a great mood after a 3-1 away victory over Electrum, the 37th ranked team in the multiverse. They got goals from Jake Campos, Clayton Wilson and Holly Cambrio and were about to host their home opener of qualifying.

There was one slight problem for the Stars as they walked onto the pitch. They saw gridball markings. More to the point, they saw football goals but also yard markers and end zones for a gridball match. Wilson remembered that Woodstock University just played Northern Moravica in a college match at Dave Wilson Stadium. He also saw signage that indicated plans for the Sarzonian gridball team to host Delaclava in a World Bowl group stage match.

"They're playing gridball matches here?!" Campos snapped. "What the fuck?!"

Wilson knew from discussions between his father, Incorporated Football Federation Chairman Zack Wilson and the powers that be about the match between Woodstock University's Climbers and the Northern Moravica Cougars. The match was built up as the beginning chapter of a new college gridball rivalry, a traditional Week 13 clash of non-conference archrivals. It didn't go to plan for anyone, not Northern Moravica and certainly not Woodstock. The Climbers won, but instead of the expected dramatic finish a la the career-long 56-yard field goal from Matt Andersen, it was a 36-13 win for the Climbers that gave them their 10th regular season victory and again put the defending runners up on the brink of playoff elimination.

He'd also seen the text from his father about the plans to move the WOo match against Delaclava. It was yet another chapter of an already-established rivalry between the Cyanea neighbours. For their parts, the Phoenixes were playing the match against Sarzonia at Sullivan Stadium, the largest of the three home venues being used by Delaclava. For Sarzonia, the two unranked opponents would be playing at the traditional gridball home, Joe Gibbs Stadium in Woodstock. Whereas those two matches still had good seats available, the matchup against Delaclava would have sold out in seconds had stadium organisers not pitched the idea of moving the match to Dave Wilson Stadium.

"They expect large enough crowds," Clayton Wilson said. "It's a money thing."

"Yeah, but the pitch looks like shit!" Campos said. He pointed to a divot that remained from the Woodstock-Northern Moravica match.

"What are they gonna do, paint the dirt green?" fellow striker Holly Cambrio asked. Clayton Wilson grimaced. He knew the answer. Yes. They were going to paint the dirt green. They didn't have enough time for a new patch of grass to grow between the end of the college gridball match and the start of World Cup qualifying. There was a thought to move the match to a different venue, but renovations to Mike Sarzo Stadium in Nicksia were not completed as of yet.

"That's exactly what they're gonna do," goalkeeper Carlton Sandt said. "Gotta love the almighty dollar," he said, rolling his eyes.

Nathan Hanifer shook his head. He had to defend the decision by the IFF and the other powers-that-be who decided to play the gridball matches at Dave Wilson Stadium because he knew he'd be in deep shit if he didn't. He'd had those battles with Zack Wilson and the Board of Governors. He'd had that heated discussion with Gavin Davis and James Arthur and their respective bosses. And he lost.

The fact that President Haffner was expected to be in attendance at the Sarzonia-Delaclava match didn't help matters. Not that having Haffner on their side would have anyway.

C'mon, c'mon, listen to the money talk. Those Mike Sarzo dollar coins were doing a lot of talking.
First WCC Grand Slam Champion
NSWC Hall of Fame Inductee (post-World Cup 25)
Former WLC President. He/him/his.

Our trophy case and other honours; Our hosting history

Flavovespia
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 22, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Flavovespia » Mon May 09, 2022 12:43 pm

Flavovespia 0 - 2 Juvencus

Flavovespia’s opening game of their qualifying campaign got off to a poor start, with the woes of qualifiers gone by coming to mind. Against a Juvencus side who were one of a fair few in this group that could be considered dark horses for the playoffs, some individual brilliance by Joao Pereyra gave the visitors all 3 points.

Lining up for the first game of the World Cup Qualifiers 91, it was a lot of change for Flavovespia. No Steven Hall, no Scott Coleman, no Tony Gardner starting. David Lyons now had the armband, but despite all that, it wasn’t a Flavovespian side with limited experience.

The game was a tentative affair in the opening exchanges, and it was one where a sense that an error or some individual skill would be the key to make a change. Joao Pereyra provided that in the 20th minute. Michelangelo Santini played the ball downfield for Joao Pereyra. Pereyra got there, and his first touch took Andrew Dance out of the equation. Daniel Lansdell didn’t close down Pereyra quick enough, and the shot was well placed, to open the scoring.

Notwithstanding an ambitious long range shot by Jonathan Bagshaw that wasn’t far off target, Flavovespia were lacking in the first half. 0-1 at half time, there was work to be done to get something out of this game. An early change saw Scott Coleman on for the second half, in place of Adrian Jones.

That made limited difference. 10 minutes in, and Pereyra would find the net again. It was poor pressing allowing him a shot from just outside the box, and it left Aarif Muhammad with too much to do to keep it out. 0-2 now, and Juvencus were in command. The introduction of David Blythe and then Sachin Gupta later on couldn’t help Flavovespia find the net, and they were the Matchday 1 losers.

Gadria 0 - 1 Flavovespia

Flavovespia had to work harder than they expected to win this game, but in the end got their tally for the Qualifiers going with 3 points at Gadria. The performance couldn’t really be described as confident boosting, except maybe for some of the defence, but it was enough in the circumstances.

Early worries for Flavovespia after a bright start by the hosts were compounded when Stuart Cookson went down following a corner cleared away. An awkward landing meant he couldn’t continue, and on came Paul Taylor for just cap number 3. A fierce but fair tackle a few moments later, showed he was getting up to speed quickly.

Flavovespia began to build the pressure towards the end of the half, but couldn’t find a breakthrough, and it was goalless at the break. Not an awe inspiring sight for the visiting fans, the hosts happy to take 0-0 at this stage of the game.

As the second half wore on, it became counter attack vs attack. Flavovespia’s efforts to break the deadlock were hindered by some wayward shots, and Gadria were able to make some quick breaks, testing the legs of the Flavovespia back line. Aarif Muhammad also had to make a handful of decent shots. At the other end, Adrian Jones and Michael Cole were both on. It was veterans Scott Coleman and Steven Hall off the bench, to try and break the deadlock.

4 minutes of stoppage time were shown, and it seemed a goalless draw was inbound. Then, in the 2nd minute of injury time, Jonathan Bagshaw had space to send in a cross. He whipped it in towards the far post, where none other than Steven Hall was running in. A great volley, and the ball was in the back of the net. International Goal 98 for him, and the Flavovespian legend had secured the 3 points at the death. Steven Hall had shown at least for now, he deserved to be in the national team.

Flavovespia’s Obscure Eleven: Richard Hartwell (GK)

9 goalkeepers have been capped for Flavovespia (Thomas Foley still waiting for his), so there was some competition for this spot. Interestingly, it wasn’t one of the goalkeepers with 5 caps or less who took this honour, but Richard Hartwell, with 7 caps and 0 goals for the National Team. Much of his domestic career was spent abroad, and it’s been several cycles since he was in the squad, the most likely cause of his obscurity.

His first call up was Cup of Harmony 76, at 25 years old and making a good impression for Capital FC in Xanneria. Some were sceptical of the call up however, with then Flavovespian manager Richard Crawford previously his manager at Stanmorn, and a sense the call up was a hope that he’d be accustomed to co-hosting nation Xanneria. Cup of Harmony 76 and AOCAF Cup 60 saw Hartwell in the squad, but uncapped, with David Meehan in too strong a form to be dropped.

Hartwell had to wait for World Cup Qualifiers 85 to get his first cap. In the exteneded quad of 30 with 4 goalkeepers, Hartwell did well to beat out the competition to replace Meehan, for Matchday 3 against Sylestone. He did even better to keep a clean sheet on debut. He’d only concede one was Taeshan in the next game, unfortunately a 1-0 loss, and Meehan returned. Hartwell got 3 more games later on, clean sheets against The Appraisal To The Allmighty MR TAYTO (quite possibly the nation with the best name Flavovespia has faced) and Sylestone saw him talked about as a future Flavovespian #1 goalkeeper, only for him to concede 4 to Taeshan in a poor display. From there, there were just 2 more caps for Hartwell. A 3-0 loss to Valanora in AOCAF Cup 81, and the 5-1 win in the dead rubber game vs Ihilthracna at the end of World Cup Qualifiers 86. He was an unused player in the Cup of Harmony 78 squad, and after that, there was no room left for him in the future.

Now 34, Richard Hartwell’s career has been relatively quiet. Since departing from Xanneria, he’s been a bit of a journeyman through some obscure nations, not really being on the radar of the national team scouts, or many Flavovespians for that matter. In a recent interview, Richard Hartwell said that although he’d have enjoyed more caps and more time playing for Flavovespia, he felt satisfied to have been an international footballer. He added that he had few regrets about playing domestic football abroad, although he has considered a return to the Super League before retirement.

Richard Hartwell’s time in the national team was relatively short, but by no means a failure. In 7 games, he only conceded 9 goals and had 3 clean sheets, a record plenty of goalkeepers would be pleased with. As far as backup goalkeepers at tournaments went, Richard Hartwell had a sufficiently good record to not be remembered for the wrong reasons. However he was never able to convince anyone he was better than David Meehan and then Aarif Muhammad. With a domestic club career that few Flavovespians would remember either, and a generally chilled, inoffensive personality, Richard Hartwell is in goal for the Flavovespia Obscure Eleven.
Formerly the Republic of Greater Waldster, internationally known as Greater Watford. IC It's a long story (OOC I didn't like using real place names)

Tumbra
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 29, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tumbra » Mon May 09, 2022 12:45 pm

Tumbra 2-0 Damukuni

TMB (4-2-3-1): 1 - Barker; 2 - Hughes, 31 - Tyler (14 - Ashburn, 66'), 5 - Henderson, 3 - Harris; 6 - Harrison, 8 - Hicks (16 - Fisher, 75'), 23 - Monaghan (10 - Cole, 75'); 30 - Fraser, 9 - Vaughn; 22 - Erskine

TMB scorers: Robin Vaughn (4'), Nigel Harris (62')

Player of the Match: Nigel Harris (TMB)
Sendhang 1-2 Tumbra

TMB (4-2-3-1): 12 - Taylor; 18 - Moss, 4 - Kerr, 31 - Tyler, 35 - Sheppard (3 - Harris, 81'); 6 - Harrison (16 - Finnemore, 72'), 16 - Fisher (8 - Hicks, 81'), 10 - Cole; 17 - Wells, 21 - Crossley; 11 - Riordan

TMB scorers: Nick Riordan (16'), Lynne Crossley (29')

Player of the Match: Nick Riordan (TMB)

A SHORT NOTE BY THE AUTHOR: WHAT IS DEFENDER MEETS MIDFIELDER?
A somewhat-acclaimed and generally mixed-reviewed longform series, Defender Meets Midfielder (stylised as defender meets midfielder), now in its sixth season, is a story-driven RP series focusing on the travails, trials and tribulations of two characters in Tumbra — Stephen Kerr (the defender) and Trudy Harrison (the midfielder). Having met a while back en route to a win in the Under-18 World Cup, Harrison eventually convinced Kerr to leave his old club and join her in Chromatika — and then the two fell in love. It took a while, and much frustration on both sides, but eventually someone confessed to the other, and they the two have entered a relationship. Which they're in.

The previous season ended on the relevation (that, in all fairness, was foreshadowed and bandied about by the author with all the subtlety of a politician hiding in a fridge to avoid being interviewed) that Ms. Harrison was actually the estranged daughter of the second-richest man in Tumbra — media mogul and noted recluse Charles Harrison. He's got a lot of money, he owns a lot of the media; and now he's somehow gotten wind that Trudy and Stephen are in a relationship.

Every episode up to this current one can be read at this link.

REVIEWS

"it's ok i guess"
- someone on the ns sports server

"gtfo out of the northlands"
- someone on the sonnel server (they are going to forcibly bring me into their family)

"please let me out of this cage"
- someone on the anaia server (they are a fox)

defender meets midfielder: season 6, part 1
right back where we started from

??

Trudy Harrison didn't know where she was. Or did she? It looked vaguely familiar. She was...on a green surface. With white markings. There were tall, white walls all around her. But they looked very, very far away. Was she back in the Dome? The season had ended a while ago. Yes, they'd chased Wirr Tsi right down to the wire, but their title had been snatched right back from them after having it spend just one season with the Capitalizt. But that wasn't of any concern right now.

A ball rolled to her feet. Instinctively, Trudy set off on a run towards what she thought was the opposition goal; but her legs refused to move. Every time she tried to take a step forward, she felt herself sinking into the green field, which increasingly felt more and more like water. The goal, which was there a few seconds ago, had disappeared. The walls of the Capitalizt Dome had been replaced with a grey fog. A fog that was closing in on her. She tried to turn around, ball forgotten; but there was only the fog. And she was still sinking, too; she'd only been knee deep in the mire a few seconds ago, but it was slowly creeping up on her. Now she was waist deep; and she was still sinking. She tried, hard, to push her hands against the green field — but found her arms pushing right through it. It felt like water; but she couldn't actually feel it. No, she was sinking into it, and there was nothing she could do.

The fog had nearly encompassed Trudy, now; she dared not think about what would happen if she was taken under. The fog had grown greyer, and was blackening; it was billowing strongly, too. A sound of thunder reverberated; a previously non-existent wind had begun to bellow. She was nearly under; she found herself desperately trying to move her legs to tread whatever this substance was; craning her neck, trying to breathe in her last gulps of precious, precious air before she found herself fully pulled under the undertow of whatever this green substance was —

And then there was the familiar, navel-pulling sensation of being dropped; of falling. Whatever the thing she'd fallen into was, it wasn't water. She was still breathing, somehow; but as she fell, familar scenes started to echo, started to reverberate around her. But she knew what was coming up. This wasn't the first time Trudy Harrison had experienced this dream; and every time she had, she'd earnestly prayed to whatever gods existed that the dream wouldn't return. But no; time and time again, when she was least expecting it, the dream would return. The beginning was always different — one time she found herself in a street full of red lanterns, which vaguely reminded her of Z'ai'ai, and another she found herself looking at Mount Prinzessin — but it always ended the same way.

She braced herself. There it was. The mahogany walls, the long corridor, with the ornate desk and chair at the end; something positively out of the 19th century. But she knew what was happening; every time she wanted to walk in the opposite direction, but every time she knew that she had to listen to his long tirade, again. So she began walking. One step at a time. One.

Eventually, Trudy reached the desk; and sat down in the green-upholstered chair. There was nobody opposite her; but the voice began. It was the same, every time. Disembodied, floating around her, in that oh-so-familiar tone of scorn and disgust. All she could do was sit, close her eyes and hope for it to be over.

"I have given you everything you need to succeed in life. And you dare come here and tell me that you want to throw all of that away. And for what, exactly, pray tell? For what? A career in sport? Young lady..."

"We've been through this before. My answer is no. You are not going to play football..."

"..and in about six months, what are you going to do? Show up at the front gate, with your three cars' full of belongings, crying and wanting to be let back in? Pah! I know how this is going to go..."

"...Leave? I'd like to see you try..."

"...never shown an ounce of self-reliance, and to think you're going to be the one heading this empire of mine one day..."

"...leading it to ruin..."

And then she couldn't take it anymore.

Trudy Harrison screamed.

Chromia

One of the things about being in a relationship where your girlfriend lived with you was that she tended to sleep in the same bed as you. It'd taken a bit of time to get used to bumping into something in the middle of the night, and remembering — oh shit, that's actually my girlfriend, and I actually have one — or having someone bump into you and having to resist every fibre in your being telling you to jump out of the bed, grabbing the nearest solid object and going to town on whatever the hell you'd bumped into.

But Stephen Kerr managed. It'd taken a bit of a while to get used to it, but he'd gotten into the rhythm of things, and slowly had grown to appreciate the presence of the other human in his bed that he called his girlfriend. And team-mate. And also best friend. Something he hadn't gotten used to, however, was the thrashing that had begun a while back. There were nights of peace; there were nights where Trudy didn't stir. But some nights, she'd kick and move around wildly in bed; and Stephen found himself in the unenviable situation of having to wake her up, while being half-asleep himself. On those nights, it often took a long, long time for both of them to get back to sleep.

Tonight, though, his sleep wasn't disturbed by her kicking. Well, it was, a little bit; it was her kicking that alerted him that she was going through it again. But it was the scream that woke him up right away. This wasn't any scream; this was a cry for help. He glanced over; yes, she was thrashing about again. Immediately, he pulled on the cord of the bedside lamp, and took one of her hands into his, while preparing to embrace her when she woke up —

Trudy Harrison sat up like she'd been shocked, eyes wide open; breathing heavily and rapidly. Sweat lined her forehead; and Stephen immediately, silently, squeezed her hand three times. And after a bit of time, her breathing slowed; she fell into Stephen's outstreched arms, and embraced him rightly.

"I'm here. I'm here, Trudy, I'll always be here. You're okay now. You're safe."

"I know," she whispered. It could barely be heard. "I know. I love you..."

"I love you too."

The two sat in silence for a bit, deep in embrace, before they disentangled themselves from each other. Trudy sat in a foetal position. Stephen didn't know if it was time to broach the subject — after all, his girlfriend had just gone through a deeply traumatic experience. But he decided to try, anyway.

"That dream, that — that nightmare," he whispered, stumbling over his own words. "It was the same one again, wasn't it?"

A nod confirmed his suspicion.

"We're safe here, Trudy. We're safe. We're here. I'm here. With you. I know a bit about what it's like to be in your shoes. You are safe with me. I will do my best to protect you, no matter what happens. If it ever happens."

A small smile emerged.

"I know." She leant in and pecked Stephen on the lips. Her smile, however, melted away as quickly as it appeared. "I just wish I knew why I was having these-these dreams, you know? Every time it begins differently, and then it ends with you comforting me. And I feel horrid; it's your sleep I'm harming, too."

"Don't say that."

"I just wish I knew. There's been so much happening. I don't know why the training camp's going to take place in Kingsbury, for God's sake; we've got a Straton facility that works just as well —"

"Baffles me, too. I know you're apprehensive about this trip. Believe me, I am, too. But we'll spend as little time in that place as we can; I promise. Once we're done there, we're leaving. I've already talked to Boss about it; he doesn't exactly understand but he's given the go-ahead for us to spend the rest of our time in Tumbra in Straton. And then, uh, you'll finally be able to meet my family..." Stephen's voice trailed off. It'd started so well, too.

"I don't know why I waited a whole year to confess to you."

She was joking. That meant she was okay. Or somewhere along the line to that. Time to test it out.

"Well, you were probably too taken with how good I looked —"

A pillow was thrown in his direction; Stephen made a cursory attempt to dodge it, but he took the hit in jest. But that was how he knew.

When they both fell asleep ten minutes later, Stephen had a hopeful smile on his face.

Somewhere over the Típota Parapéra

Time had come and gone, and the two were finally on their way back to Tumbra. Direct flights from Tumbra to Chromatika and vice versa were relatively rare; that they were able to catch this one was a miracle in itself. There had been gawking, of course; but the moment the two entered their first class suite, they'd closed the door behind them and had been left in relative peace ever since.

Stephen had his eye covers on and was snoring away; Trudy was, once again, looking outside, at the stars of Anaia. Soon, they'd be in familiar territory; soon, they'd be in the seas of Esportiva. She couldn't help but think about Kingsbury, though. She'd spent so much time trying to escape the clutches of her father — which, to be fair, extended all throughout Tumbra — and now she was willingly walking into the lion's den. Yes, Steppenham was very far away from Kingsbury; but it was only a four hour car ride. There was an apprehension, a doubt that kept crossing her mind; that although she was certain nothing would happen, there was always that thought — what if it did? What if that fear, that was possibly unsubstantiated, were realised? It was difficult for Trudy to understand, let alone comprehend; she knew Stephen always tried his best, bless him, but both of them knew that her fears were something a little more than just a phobia. Her father was rich. Powerful. Had lots of money. The two of them had lots of money, too, but it was nothing, nothing to the wealth her family had.

In this country, wealth bought you anything. Charles Harrison had almost everything he wanted.

But he didn't have his daughter.

Kingsbury International Airport

The airport was familiar, but Trudy hated every second of it. She hated having to pick up her luggage on the carousel; she hated having to wait in line and scan her thumbprint to be granted access to her country. Even with Stephen Kerr by her side, she still wanted to get through everything as fast as possible; and get to the training camp without attracting much attention. Today was the last possible day to check in; they'd waited until the very, very last day to come to Kingsbury.

But it wasn't enough.

The two of them stepped out of the airport, and were hit with the full heat of the Kingsbury summer; which, for both of them, took a while to get used to. But in that summer heat, there were two things that couldn't be missed.

The first thing was the rear door of what looked like an expensive sedan opening. Trudy took one look at the intricate crest near the front of the car, and her heart sank. Her worst fear had come true.

The second thing was a black-suited man coming up to Trudy, and whispering into her ear. She didn't know this man. But she knew why he was here. And in that moment, when she let go of the handle of her luggage and allowed the suited man to take it, she'd already accepted defeat.

All she could do at that moment was grasp firmly onto Stephen's hand and squeeze it three times.

Stephen could only squeeze back.

TUMBRA SQUAD FOR MATCH vs ZWANGZUG - WORLD CUP 91 QUALIFIERS, MATCHDAY 4
Goalkeepers: 1 - Nick Barker (FC Inter Nantwich), 12 - Andrew Taylor (Couno Rangers), 13 - George Danvers (Columbia City)
Defenders: 2 - Ryan Hughes (Lakewood City), 3 - Nigel Harris (Lakewood United) 4 - Stephen Kerr (Chromatik, CMT), 5 - Harry Henderson (Aleuisia Capital, ZRH), 14 - Ian Ashburn (Lakewood City), 18 - Nicholas Moss (Miruan City), 19 - Chris Carter (Lakewood City), 20 - Douglas Moore (Lakewood United), 26 - Raymond Perry (Serrapince FC)
Midfielders: 6 - Trudy Harrison (Chromatik, CMT), 8 - Vincent Hicks (FK Metropola Borograd, STL), 10 - Phil Cole (Osarese Marcadia, AUD), 16 - Andrew Fisher (FC Inter Nantwich), 23 - Susan Monaghan (Northern Stallions, BRE) 37 - Mark Finnemore (Couno Rangers)
Wingers: 7 - George Hilton (Serrapince FC), 9 - Robin Vaughn (Lakewood City), 17 - Valerie Wells (Swanguard Athletic, QUE), 29 - Duncan Silverwood (Pyathora Miners, TKT)
Strikers: 11 - Nick Riordan (Sabrefell Moths, NPH), 33 - Bruce Nolan (Couno Rangers)
THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF TUMBRA
Tumbra - a sprawling, modern federal democratic republic located in Esportiva. Strong economy, strong civil rights, strong freedoms.
Population: 121 million | TLA: TMB | Capital City: Straton | Largest City: Couno
Constitution | Domestic Database | Domestic Football | Domestic Motorsports | Wiki Article
President: Edward Merryweather (United) | Prime Minister: Bertram Andrews (Labour)
U-18 World Cup 13, 21 Champions/Di Bradini Cup 51, 57 Champions

Starblaydia
Game Moderator

Founded: Apr 05, 2004
Father Knows Best State

Postby Starblaydia » Mon May 09, 2022 1:10 pm

Episode 15 - The Coronation
S01 | E01 | E02 | E03 | E04 | E05 | E06 | E07 | E08 | E09 | E10 | E11 | E12 | E13 | E14

Season Finale. After ending the hopes of one nation in their own stadium
at the Semi-Final stage, the team faces the other co-host in their own
national stadium for their first World Cup final appearance for 80 years.

Calindra Apelles, Midfielder,
World Cup 83
Narrator: The road to the World Cup Final is one of the longest and most arduous journeys in all of sports. It does not just consist of the long haul of a slog through a cycle of Qualifying matches, navigating three other teams in a Group Stage in front of the entire multiverse, and four matches that increase in tension, drama and import, until the ultimate fate of the most coveted trophy in the multiverse is decided. Before a team gets there, they have to climb their way up the rankings...

Forty-eighth in the rankings at the start of World Cup 78's cycle, when Ázëwyn Fëanáro took on the job of Starblaydi manager. It was their lowest rank in five editions, not since they were in the 60s for the 73rd World Cup. Barely in the top 50, even with the new manager bump they were not expected to do all that much. No matter how much history there was to crow about, the recent past had been a disappointing one. So disappointing, in fact, that Lucas Cable had been given his marching orders after failing to qualify for four straight tournaments, more than any other manager in the history of the team. It seemed like nobody was actually all that worried about what threat the team in white might pose.

Sargossa wrote:"Starblaydia obviously come with a huge amount of historical gravitas but we played them as recently as the World Cup 75 qualifiers, taking four points from them in the process. They are to be respected, they’re not to be feared."

Placed in a group with Mercedini, Sargossa, Nephara and Darmen, it was widely considered to be the so-called 'Group of Death', which is unusual to find in Qualifying, to be sure, more likely one for the World Cup itself, but it was perhaps one of the most exciting qualifying groups in the history of the tournament. So much potential for quality, so little to choose between the teams despite their disparity on paper in the rankings - it was incredibly exciting even for neutral fans.

Spaam wrote:Group 12 is everyone's favourite group, unless their nation is in Group 12.

Spaam wrote:Widely considered the Group of Death, there is almost nothing separating joint group leaders, second seeds Starblaydia and fourth seeds Darmen, who have had strong seasons so far... but the top five teams have all only lost one match each, and this could go down in almost any way. This has been so exciting, most fans, after checking the results of their team's groups, quickly scroll down to Group 12. Any prediction will almost certainly be wrong. Prediction: Starblaydia and Sargossa.

Schottia wrote:Group Twelve isn't just the 'Group of Death,' it should come with a health warning. WC-74 Champs Nephara, rising stars Mercedini, and a resurgent Starblaydia makes this one very hard to call. Add to the mix the form Darmen and Sargossa are in, and it's nearly impossible.

It was an eight match unbeaten run that took Starblaydia to the top of that qualifying group, and despite losing both of their final games to rivals Nephara and Darmen and losing twice to Sargossa long the way, they still managed to qualify for the first time in twenty years. The team wouldn't actually score a goal in Cosumar during that World Cup, losing to Audioslavia and Pasarga, drawing nil-nil with Semarland, but even getting to the World Cup was a huge victory for the team. Actual victories would come later.

For World Cup 79, now just ranked inside the top forty, they again made it to the great showcase in Ceni and Drawkland, progressing to the Second Round. A Di Bradini Cup Quarter-Final appearance, then co-hosting the World Cup itself for the 80th edition, 160 years after the last time they did so with Krytenia, again with a last-sixteen appearance from a ranking of 21st. The team was up and coming, as Fëanáro guided and molded the entire structure of the domestic game to produce the highest quality players for her team at all age levels. The team progressed onwards and upwards, finding themselves shortly after as the third place team in the 56th AOCAF Cup, playing on what would be familiar soil in regionmates Equestrian States. Though they'd lost to Valanora and Mriin along the way, making it to the final four of the multiverse's premier regional football tournament was a real feather in their cap.

As we saw in the last episode, the Under-18 World Cup made its way into the Starblaydi trophy cabinet for the first time in its history, surely demonstrating that the team was really on the right path, forging their way back to the top of the proverbial mountain.

Starblaydia wrote:Every single one of [this team] was born after the debacle of AOCAF Cup 53. Since they were crying babies, Starblaydia has only known World Cup Qualification, rising from just inside the top 50 to solidly in the top 20. If Starblaydia are going to break into the top 16 or the top 10 and genuinely have a realistic chance of winning a record-breaking sixth World Cup title, these are the players that will be doing it in the forseeable future.

Narrator: An appearance in the Quarter-Finals of the 82nd World Cup, and a second straight appearance in the Under-18 World Cup Final, augured well for Ázëwyn Fëanáro's ever-developing team. The 83rd World Cup, however, proved to be a story of team development that would echo down through the ages.

Starblaydia were, finally, ranked inside the Top Ten in the multiverse for this tournament. They genuinely had a chance at going all the way - a slightly outside one, for certain - but a chance nonetheless. Their Qualifying Group - T - gave them nothing to really worry about, save for a couple of dismal 1-0 defeats at home in the tail end of the double round-robin, which gave a late ray of hope to the team from Devonta, who were determined not to let Starblaydia get away with cantering their way to Canterlot.

Starblaydia wrote:...much sterner tests than the likes of these sides will face Starblaydia if they do end up in Equestria and Banija, and the type of play that results in [only] a 4-3 [win] away to Saciu will certainly see the team in white and purple sent packing if it continues.

But qualify first Starblaydia did in this group of no great importance, taking their time off and losing a post-qualifying friendly to Taeshan, of all places. Not the most auspicious start by any means.When they got to Banjia, however, for the Finals themselves, it all suddenly became very, very real, doubly so when they were drawn with the team that had just beaten them in an exhibition match, and the co-hosts Banija themselves.

Qasden wrote:As the de facto [qualifying] group titan, these purple nobodies made quick work of adversaries like Abanhfleft & Devonta in the qualifiers, skating on thick ice all the way to the proper. Coming in hot and melting the ice behind them as the 9th seed multiversally, the team once graced by the presence of Di Bradini became a favorite among the bookies to achieve a playoff position in the group, alongside the Kadongo Kamu (no faith in us, I guess).

A solid 2-2 draw with Qasden in the opening game was not their greatest result, however Fëanáro had put her tactical nous into play in the following match against Taeshan, taking her notes from the friendly match defeat of a few months earlier and putting a game plan into practice that saw Starblaydia take the win when it really mattered, Sutter McCloud earning all three points for his country. NExt up in the final game to decide the fate of the group was Banija. A Starblaydia win could well see the co-hosts dumped out of their own Cup at the first opportunity, while a Banijan win wouldn't guarantee Starblaydia's exit, which would be based on other results. It wasn't quite the titanic encounter everyone had hoped for, but it was certainly an extremely engaging match, even for the neutral.

Narrator: The traditional Starblaydi work ethic met a wall of noise from 75,000 fans of the 'Kadongo Kamu', the Banijan nickname for their side, urging them on to greatness. A missed Starblaydi penalty from Kota Sato in the first half proved the turning point, as the Banijan side took the lead through Chibuzo Afolayan and never gave it back.

Four points is the magic number for the World Cup Group Stage. If you can get four points, you're almost certainly going through, barring some kind of mathematical mischievousness. It's never guaranteed, but all in all you'd rather have four points and a chance than three points and nothing but a wing and a prayer. In this case, Starblaydia's four points from their opening two games was exactly what they needed, thanks to Taeshan defeating Qasden in their final game. It meant Fëanáro's side would go through despite the Matchday Three loss to the co-hosts, facing Kita-Hinode in the last sixteen. They'd need an Extra Time goal to go through by a score of 3-2, and they'd managed to scrape into the last eight. It wasn't wonderfully flashy, it often didn't get the basics right, but by any standard, this was quite a good side.

Starblaydia wrote:This is a good Starblaydi side, there's no doubting that. They are not the world-beaters of old, certainly, but they're better now than they have been in over a century and the fact they are still in this competition means the remaining teams need to sit up and take notice of them. No-one, not even Vilita or Valanora, will want to see Starblaydia lurking in the potential opponents column, because we know what the team in white and purple are capable of on their day.

There are only three days remaining; can it be their day three times in a row?

Sutter McCloud and Aaron Cole up front were the light and the dark. McCloud the twenty-three year old who'd announced himself on the multiversal stage by scoring in every one of Starblaydia's seven matches in their Under-18 World Cup victory, a massive twelve goals. Speedy, clean cut and with an eye for a shot that would end up making him the highest-scoring human striker in the history of the team. Alongside him was this seething ball of snarling elbows and late tackles, wicked insults and sharp runs. Aaron Cole, thirty-two at the time, would end up 10th on the all-time goalscoring list. Between the two of them, you have everything a striker partnership could want, and by the Quarter-Finals they'd scored eighteen goals between them in the campaign, almost half the total of the entire team.

Behind them was a midfield anchored by future Hall of Famer Viola Capodanno, spearheaded by her Northern Union club teammate, Calindra Apelles. Their partnership at the tip and the base of the Diamond of the usual Starblaydia 4-4-2 was one of the keys to the team's success; there was simply not another pairing quite like it that worked so well in international football. The defence behind Capodanno was kind of suspect, looking back, but in Cosmo Leopoldi they had rather a good goalkeeper to keep them afloat. With the team spirit that was being formed, this was something they could really get behind, something they could really achieve - could they?

Narrator: A second consecutive instance of Extra Time was needed for Starblaydia to defeat Mriin, with a final decisive penalty by Kaori Yamaguchi sending the Satyrs crashing out, and the team in white and purple into a dream Semi-Final against... co-hosts Banija

Still smarting from their loss in the Group Stage, and tired from two periods of Extra Time, Starblaydia had to face a Banija side who were just like toilet paper: they were on a roll. When a home nation does well at the World Cup and goes for a deep run into the knockouts, it energises the whole competition with the roars and energy of the home crowd wherever you go in the country. Both co-hosts had made it to the Semi-Finals and it gave every TV show with coverage a positive vibe, reflecting the one that journalists and presenters could feel in the cities they stayed in. It's the rising tide that lifts all boats, but someone had to sink it. Someone had to be the bad guy. Guess who?

Starblaydia wrote:Starblaydia are used to painting themselves as the heroes in their World Cup runs... Time and again it was Starblaydia that stood alone, and time and again they triumphed to demonstrate that the bully can - and will - lose in the end, to the brave side who plant their flag in the ground and say "This far; no further". But in World Cup 83, that brave side was not Starblaydia.

It was Banija.

In Busukuma, Starblaydia twice had a two-goal lead, twice pulled back within one goal, but it was not to be for the home team. Aaron Cole's penalty from a disputed challenge between Selassiee and Mercy Kaufman proved to be the difference between the two sides, even though Starblaydia were hanging on to their lead by the skin of their teeth towards the end. It would be a World Cup Final appearance for the team in white and purple, their first since World Cup 63, some eighty years before. Who would be in the way, playing in the Royal Equestria Stadium? Why, of course it was going to be Equestria.

Starblaydia wrote:It'll be a match were Starblaydia, somehow, will be the underdogs, facing an Equestria side playing for their first World Championship in their own stadium and cheered on by their own fans like a home match. But this time, perhaps, they might just deserve whatever comes. Starblaydia will take either silver or gold medals from the final of World Cup 83, but there's still the opportunity for both they and Equestria to be the hero of their own story, to plant their flag firmly in the ground of the Final of the 83rd World Cup and speak clearly to their antagonists:

This far; no further.

Tighter matches in the Final of a World Cup there have rarely been. Seven goal thrillers are equally rare. Injury time winners, however, are an absolute, near-guaranteed staple of the World Cup. If it's going to be close, you know it's going to be closest, at it's most crucial, right at the death.

Narrator:When Sutter McCloud equalised for Three-Three with just three minutes to go of normal time, shifting the momentum back into Starblaydia's favour, the most prestigious and sought-after prize in football became a simple children's game that we all pick up from our earliest days: next goal wins. One team was going to, appropriately, be crowned at the Royal Equestria Stadium. The only question was, who would be the beneficiary of this most exalted of coronations? There could be only one answer.

Final score from Royal Equestria Stadium, Canterlot:
_Equestria_ 4-3 _Starblaydia_
_Aiza 25, Shine 44 & 90+1, Rumble 73_ - _Apelles 12, Cole 32, McCloud 87_
Six-Time World Cup Committee President (WCs 25-33, 46-51 & 82*)
Co-host of World Cups 20, 40 & 80 • Di Bradini Cup Organiser
World Cups 30, 63 & 83 Runner-Up • World Cup 27 Third Place • 25th Baptism of Fire Runner-Up
Seven-Time AOCAF Cup Champions • Two-time U21, One-Time U18 WC Champions • Men's Football Olympic Champions, Ashford Games
Five-Time Cherry Cup Champions • 1st Quidditch World Cup Champions • WGPC8 Drivers' Champion
The Protectorate of Starblaydia
Commended by WA Security Council Resolution #40
Five-Time NS World Cup Champions (WCs 25, 28, 41, 44 & 47)

HUElavia
Minister

Founded: Jun 04, 2015
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby HUElavia » Mon May 09, 2022 1:43 pm

HUElavia 0-0 Chromatika
Estadio Internacional, San Rafael, HUElavia

Saterun 0-1 HUElavia
(Lopes 54')
Adam Antwerp Arena, Daxler, Saterun

XI vs Cabo Azore:
B-Team will Play, Home Uniform will be worn

XI at Stresia:
C-Team will Play, Special Uniform will be worn

A Cook's Tour

Munching at Manilla

"Hi, my name's Antoine Brousseau. For several years, I've been a chef for many years, working in various restaurants throughout HUElavia. The sights and smells of cuisine have been a part of my life since I was very young. But now, it's time for a new change in my life. It's time to travel throughout the country and sample the various dishes this country has to offer. I don't know what's ahead for me, but I got the appetite to find out. This is A Chef's Voyage."

Manilla. A city in northeast HUElavia, the cultural capital of the Pinoys. An group of Southeast Aesians that came to HUElavia well over 150 years ago steadily and have ended up making the northeast part of the country their new home. 8.7 Million people call this city home, where there are plenty of Pinoy-HUElavians in the area. Due to the cultural history between the Pinoys and HUElavians, it was easy for the Pinoys to assimilate into the country. Now, they have made an imprint into HUElavian society. The people here are voted among HUElavians to be one of the most kind and devout people in the country. You can tell by walking throughout the streets, the smiles people give you, whether young or old, as well as the many churches that populate the area. It's a mix of Modern, Astellian, and Pinoy architecture adorning the buildings. While one of the more poorer regions of the country, it still has its charm to attract visitors.

I'm here today at The Coco Rooftop, popular restaurant known for their Pinoy dishes and desserts that people come to eat an enjoy. The meal I'm enjoying today is Chicken Adobo. A dish consisting of pork or chicken, sometimes both, stewed or braised in a sauce usually made from vinegar, cooking oil, garlic, bay leaf, peppercorns, and soy sauce. This one has been made "dry" by evaporating the broth and added to the white rice here. Time to dig in. *Takes bite* Mmmmm... very delicious dish. It has a very savory and earthy taste to it. There is saltiness and spiciness to it. The paprika gives it a hot taste, and the garlic can really be tasted with each bite. The rice is moist and tasty, slight bit of saltiness with the oil that was used to cook in it. Very great dish and I can see why the Pinoy consider it as a national dish. Next up: dessert. And I'm having a very traditional dessert that many Pinoys enjoy: Buko Pie. A pie made from a young Coconut and condensed milk makes it a very sweet and dense pie to have. *Takes bite* Mmmmm... Yes... Very delicious pie here. Has a nutty but refreshing taste, the condensed milk gives it a very sweet taste to it as well. The crust is crunchy and flaky, easy to chew up. Very nice pie to have during a hot day here at the coast.

I decide to stroll around the city to pass the time. The Pinoys have a strong business in making clothes, many of which are traditional clothes that have a high demand in the country. There are kids in the park, playing either basketball, football or futsal in the fields or court, while their relatives watch over them or even cheer them on. Passing by, I see a makeshift viewing party made for people to watch and enjoy Telenovelas from their home country of Dagayania. The teens and young adults tend to have a variety of interests in entertainment, whether it would be S-Dramas from Sesandong or Animes from Fujima or HUElavia. All while strolling around, there was a sense of joy and cheerfulness in the people going about their day. Even if things look tough in some areas, people kept their heads up and went along their day.

After a while, I have a hankering for a snack, and I decide to buy a common snack sold in the streets here: Hopia. Hopia are a pastry similar to Mooncakes that is filled with mung bean filling. *Takes bite* Mmmmm, very delicious! It has a flaky taste to the outside, with a sweet taste and soft texture in the inside with the filling. I can see why people enjoy this pastry as a snack. Very tasty and worth the cheap price.

Manilla is a city that while is not at the high status of other major cities and cultural capitals of HUElavia, it is a very beautiful city when you look at the nooks and crannies of the areas. These people are proud, joyful, and devout, moving on in life one day at a time, making this place their home in what is the large, multicultural and multiethnic country that is HUElavia. All in all, the Pinoys have left a great mark on this country.

Sendhang
Envoy

Founded: Feb 14, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Sendhang » Mon May 09, 2022 2:24 pm

President Paulus Etamba received a visit from the Prime Minister of Eraman Tun Rendra Usin, at the Kambang Palace a day after Sendhang's 2-1 defeat at home against Tumbra in the 91st World Cup qualifiers. Tun Rendra Usin arrived in front of the Kambang Palace at 9:00 am and was immediately greeted by President Paulus Etamba. The two leaders then introduced each other to their respective delegates.

After the introduction of each delegation, President Paulus Etamba and Prime Minister Tun Rendra Usin entered the palace to sign the guest book and conduct a photo session. The two leaders then went into a closed room for a one-on-one talk. They discussed several trade issues such as the paddy and other agricultural products export and petroleum import as well as regional issues.

Among the regional issues discussed in the discussion is the region name. The two leaders agreed that there is a need for a region name change as the current name, Melayu does not represent the whole region. There were several names tossed out by the two leaders in the discussion such as Nusantara (the islands in between) and Nusarampai (the spice islands) but it was not discussed further.

The two leaders ended the discussion after almost 3 hours and went out of the closed room for a joint press conference.

TJUN-ia
Minister

Founded: Oct 04, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Boot It!: Considering The Foes, It's The Expected Start

Postby TJUN-ia » Mon May 09, 2022 2:30 pm

By Peter Davis

Finally, it's back to the eternal gauntlet. World Cup 91 finally arrived and the Jaguars were certainly ready to go once more and try to make it back to the promised land. Destination: Graintfjall and Farfadillis and we have 20 games in order to book our tickets to the Big Dance - either by winning the group or via the 2nd vs 3rd Playoff. Usually, we would enter this tournament with nothing but hope that the glass ceiling could be broken...but not anymore. David Seems and Li Xiu Ying, now tied by rings, have already broken that ceiling and now, they and these New Age Jags must embark on their hardest job to date...getting back to that high, getting back to the WC and proving that what happened two years ago was no fluke at all. Geting the magic was one thing...repeating it will be another.

The first match of a WC Campiagn is always a special occasion for many football fans but for those in Al Kalifa tonight, the party after Isha was certainly going to be historic. The smallest stadium in use for TJUN-ia's WCQ, the Salam Liljamie Stadium in the ArU Zone, would host TJUN-ia's home opener with unknown but still ranked Kyhun. This place may be small but any start to a WC Campiagn always brings the very best and Al Kalifa certainly came out in force to welcome their heroes - especially their defender, Mohammad Malsharma. This game wouldn't be an instant classic, but the folks here certainly got their money's work as Carlos Pique scored the first goal of the campaign within the first 10 minutes. Kyhun were certainly hungry and managed to get an equaliser just before the break but that was exactly the wake-up call this team needed and once the 2nd half began, Kyhun wouldn't get another opportunity again in this contest. Prince Carter would retake the lead after 56 minutes and then came on another local hero, Malhrani al-Kalhrani, who would certainly make an impact and headed in the 3rd after a cross from Kelo Ngwemanagawa. The final score was 3-1 and TJUN-ia had gotten their campaign off to a great start.

Then the absolute opposite of our first game would go down in the 2nd. Instead of hosting Pot 11 Kyhun in an arena of 26000, TJUN-ia was at the 90000-capacity Stade de Torgos as the visitors against the Wanderers of Pot 1 Pasarga and everyone knew that Kurtis Rakeruth's wasn't going to pull any punches in the first 1v2 matchup of the campaign. We certainly tried our best to fightback against a team with a lot more experience at World Cups than our own but in the end, this was always going to be a tough ask even for a team as improved as our own. We fell by 3 goals here with Elek Salai getting a brace and Katinka Pálffy getting the 3rd late on. We fell from Tied 2nd to 7th in one game but no one was worried...we still had 18 more to play.

Next up, a very important double-header against the two teams ranked directly below us and who have both gotten off to better starts. The Barunia Suns are coming to one of the Original 3 in Tiankong and then after that comes a road trip to Tikariot - the first since the "Playoff Semifinal", the "Greatest Draw Ever", of WC86. Both games will be very important for our early momentum and they ain't gonna be easy at all. Welcome back to the WC - where nothing is certain at all. GO JAGS!

SCHEDULE (Group 9)
MD1: vs Kyhun (310) - Salam Liljamie Stadium, Al Kalifa W 3-1 (T-2nd)
MD2: @Pasarga (15) - Stade de Torgos, somewhere in Pasarga L 0-3 (7th)
-----------------Boot It!-----------------
MD3: vs Barunia (55) - Tiankong Stadium, Tiankong
MD4: @Tikariot (40)
MD5: vs Schima Bas (89) - Zebra Stadium, Toropo
MD6: @Ziwana (232)
MD7: vs Cardenao (277) - Tallawah Stadium, Port Town
MD8: @República Guanacasteca (137)
MD9: BYE
MD10: vs Bollonich (85) - Ke Kahua Pāʻani o Pua Aloalo, Kepu Manu
MD11: @Muralos (117)
MD12: @Kyhun (310)
MD13: vs Pasarga (15) - National Stadium, TJUN-ia City
MD14: @Barunia (55)
MD15: vs Tikariot (40) - Beregozera Stadium, Szensky
MD16: @Schima Bas (89)
MD17: vs Ziwana (232) - Estadio Universidad Carlandas, Carlandas
MD18: @Cardenao (277)
MD19: vs República Guanacasteca (137) - Stade de la Victoire, Roi Ville
MD20: BYE
MD21: @Bollonich (85)
MD22: vs Muralos (117) - Estádio do Pacífico, Rio Pacífico
1st: ECC4/5, NSSCRA13, RLWC22, IBS20, EBT3, EIHT2
2nd: NSCF24/26, ARWC4, WC:TOTS, IBC34, IBS17, RUWC33/35, ECC6
3rd: ARWC3, IBC32, ECC3/7, ARWC6, ET20IV
NSSCRA - JR
T1: #07 Michael Stefan (S13 T1 Champ/9W)/#64 Alfonso Mercado (3W)/#03 Maddison Riley-Jones (S10 T2 Champ/2W-T1/3W-T2)
T2: #96 Alice Jepkosgei (3W)/#70 Gongming Gao [NCR] (5W)/#79 Axel Chase

WGPO: #11 Lane Carter (2W)/ #9 Batu Tüvshinbayar (WGP2 S5 Champion/1W)
NSTT: 4 S-Titles (3 RU)/2 D-Titles (6 RU)

UN - U1
TJUN (Ta-Jun) - An organ of the UN that focuses on "international role-play" (i.e. USA = Fang the Sniper) (U2)
TJUN-ia (Ta-Jun-ee-a) - The testing grounds of TJUN members, but operates as an independent nation. (U3)

Krytenia
Senator

Founded: Apr 22, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Krytenia » Mon May 09, 2022 2:41 pm

It Takes A Qusmi...
By Rami Niblick in Emberton

SO much for the era of Samuel Dee. The Casuals manager looked for all the world to become the next head coach of the national team, but it appeared the stuffed shirts at HQ had other ideas. Taking a leaf from Starblaydia, and their somewhat successful appointment of Tlanx-Zulzk Hal to the purple suit of doom, the KFA have deigned to appoint their first foreign manager since That Bloody Elf (or Ug-Ug, if you count The Cock as Krytenian at the time - please don't though) in the form of fellow Qusmo native Brelk-Xeral Erv.

Brelk-Xeral does have previous on the international scene, winning regional silverware in Esportiva as manager of the Brenecian national team, and promises to bring a fresh approach in terms of both tactics and philosophy. The Dragons may well look radically different during the World Cup 91 qualifying campaign, what with Brelk-Xeral's preference for youthful exuberance over long-in-the-tooth stodge; it's likely to spell the end of the road for the likes of Robert Reeder and Adam Campbell in favour of...well, we'll have to wait and see. Expect, too, a concentration on fitness and positional nous courtesy of Brelk-Xeral's "Three O's"; the core tenets of Overload, Overwhelm, and Overrun. It may be a little jarring seeing the Dragons playing the press and counter-attack philosophy that one might expect from, say, Audioslavia; that being said, when married with the Krytenian tradition of quick movement and controlling the middle of the pitch, it could prove to be a potent weapon.

One thing is for sure, though; within minutes, the new boss had been dubbed BXE by pretty much everyone in the Krytenian press, and that nickname is going to stick. Let's hope for some Big X-factor Energy to allow the Dragons to upset the apple-cart and make their way back to the promised land. Onward!
Last edited by Krytenia on Wed May 11, 2022 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I revel in the nonsense; it's why I'm in Anaia."
Capital: Emberton ⍟ RP Population: ~180,000,000 ⍟ Trigram: KRY ⍟ iTLD: .kt ⍟ Demonym: Krytenian, Krytie (inf.)
Languages: English (de jure), Spanish, French, Welsh (regional)

Hosts: Cup of Harmony 7, AOCAF 1, Cup of Harmony 15, World Cup 24, AOCAF 13, World Cup 29, AOCAF 17, AOCAF 23, World Cup 40, Cup of Harmony 32, Baptism of Fire 32, AOCAF 27, Baptism of Fire 36, World Cup 50, Baptism of Fire 40, Cup of Harmony 64, AOCAF 48, World Cup 75, AOCAF 40, Cup of Harmony 80, CAFA 2
Champions: AOCAF 52, Cup of Harmony 78, CAFA 6
Runner-Up: AOCAF 7, World Cup 58, Cup of Harmony 80, CAFA 1
Creator, AOCAF & Cygnus Cup - Host, VI Winter Olympics (Ashton) & VII Summer Olympics (Emberton)

Geektopia
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 12, 2018
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Geektopia » Mon May 09, 2022 2:45 pm

Categorium: Work (Curated by Migueis in Geektopia) edited by Atham Tasasubsil in Burur cak Noaqsi)[/tab]
Automobiles (Curated by Naumovic in Geektopia) edited by Christoffer Cappuyns in Chica Saw)
Amusement (Curated by Zahharov in Geektopia) edited by Corion Icepis Samarneta in Aimena)
Household (Curated by Palime in Geektopia) edited by Kalijat Hink in Unimon)
Good Physical Condition (Curated by Blard in Geektopia) edited by Edtacio Bezerra in Campo de Ervas)
Government (Curated by Podjasek in Geektopia) edited by Eskanova Singleton in Sponsertivity)
Faith (Curated by Nke in Geektopia) edited by Taire Ah Oak Guru in Sainterris)
Branch of Knowledge (Curated by Rehnström in Geektopia) edited by Aguilḻar Mendoza Sanafan Ţluknaṟbire in Islas Cardinales)
Competitive Games (Curated by Rifiño in Geektopia) edited by Andreika Rararch Sigi in Aimena)<======= You are here.
Technology (Curated by Tschšppeler in Geektopia) edited by Shuan Zawadkun in Aimena)
Travel (Curated by Courtieux in Geektopia) edited by Tamir Tater in Aimena
Popular Media & Economy (Curated by Sulkumški in Geektopia) edited by Margharita Abbate in La Fiorita)
Multiverse (Curated by El Baraka in Geektopia) edited by Eva Mariska II Purrlicious Chowder Chocolate in Islas Cardinales)

Hojnacki starts what may be his last rodeo with one point out of a possible six, what he told his players at half-time and full-time is recorded on the DocuClock watch which he wears and gives to the Geektopian FA since he agreed to this pre-91. Conversations between him and Lertora and company are recorded below.

Half-time: Aut-Ves-Nat 1-0 Geektopia
Key: AL = Aadish Lieesslolg, Bl = Blask, HA = Hugee Adsginsier, G' = Gulcan 'iirţasdaṟi, Bo = Boblett, MNQE = Muratbek Nurasq Qaq Eul, A' = Autianna 'ardiquswaa, Liv = Livengood, Da = Dargy, GeS = Germaine Sophie, Ab = Abdill, Ma = Matkowski, Sh = Shammami, Na = Nankervis, Z' = Zalie 'amquk, E'TA = Emlee 'adqaliruq Tura Eaer, Wi = Witrago, GnS = Germain Sophie, Th = Thorud, Rinn = Rinnert, Hi = Higginbottom, Le = Lertora, Re = Rebimbas, Ring = Ringwald, Ve = Vert, Ge = Gerking, Sw = Swenty, Og = Ogrodowski, Di = Diminno, Po = Ponti, Pi = Pitter, JKT = Jakius Krutiqayir Tarun, Ra = Ratter, LMYN = Lierin Minilinsirtaytfah Y Nayj

Ho: So, just a few things I wanted to say after these first forty-five minutes. Most of you are slouching, complaining, and looking bedraggled, I don't know. Is bedraggled the right word? I would say you look angrier than what I've described you as. So, if all of you are angry in your ways, I can relate in the present tense. Whoever was officiating that, there was no time-wasting on either side of the pitch, no person was inventing ways to look distracted from their job, and I'm not sure if you did, but I'm sure I didn't see a fan come out of their seat protesting or being angry about anything as far as a lack of passion is concerned, which you put on display. But anyway, yeah, I would likely be as angry at the officiating team as what you've shown to me in this locker room if you were the manager and I was the player, and I mean all of you. Anyways, let me tell you what I saw minute to minute.

Ho: So near the beginning I saw good things in one attacking moment we had. There was this corner that you know, we won, and I don't know how Aut Ves Nat is with set-pieces but they've decided on this play that they'll just have no one at the near post. Now, for those of you that are new to football, when I use the term 'near post', I am meaning the post closest to which direction the corner was being taken from. So it came from Rebimbas, and AVN had a free header. Not good initially from Gerking and Ponti, now Gerking, I hate to have to tell you this with my DocuClock watch on, but when we man mark on corners in favor of us and zonal mark defending them, you've got to find a spot. When it comes to man marking though, you have got to find a person to initiate a 50/50 with before Ponti does, and alongside that, I found another time you erred in that situation. I know you may have been carried away at the moment, but Schikowski does not look anything like you, does not weigh in at anything near what you weigh in, is taller than you by three inches, and isn't damn near as old as you are, though the age may have nothing to do with who you should man mark. You may be trying to help, but it's about as useful a contribution as trying to put out a fire with pasteurized milk, so help out better, be better when it comes to this stuff.

Sw: While I'm sure what you just said is extremely valuable to Gerk, if I had my way with this institution, why should you even have to worry about putting on silly-looking watches that serve a dual purpose in telling the time and recording what you or anyone close to you says all the time? By the time you have to turn them into the GFA after the fact of every match, I'd bet the audio contents of the watch get released to some crappy newswire company, where they'll be typing everything I or you, or Higginbottom, or Lierin says while getting better wages than we do. And I'd also bet that this is a real stick in our craw as far as expenses go, well not our craw, the organizations by which we fulfill our jobs under, to, at a financial end, having this meaningless policy completely blow up in their face. As far as I know, one of those digital things you have on your wrist costs.. like eight hundred cryptos. Bearing that in mind, would the institution like, have to pay out of its pocket the same amount of cryptos just mentioned for every one hundred and eighty-two-hour period you put on one of those things, just because, like, you exist as our manager? And you were OK with this going ahead?

Ho: Well, I'll address and undress everyone's concerns in a minute, Swenty, but attacks on my credibility I have to address immediately. While you're trying to say I'm backing to lose money at the cost of the institution which I work under, keeping in mind this is the institution I work under, I'll say that there's a way to erase storage on the DocuClock which the football federation both told me about and said that they were doing each match in these qualifying rounds, which would imply that they're buying one of these for every 300 years. Keep this in mind, Geektopia doesn't even lose money from this in the long run, the federation only gains marginally less money than they would've wanted.

Since you've all been so kind besides Swenty, I'll save you the specifics, since he was going to butt in when I was talking more than twice, I'll tell you. Now, shortly after that corner, Autianna 'ardiquswaa looked like he was about to lay it off to someone, but in that thinking, he didn't focus on what mattered: stabilizing the ball within his two feet. And so Fatima Weilliny picked it up with his feet like a girl and encouraged his colleagues in Aut-Ves-Nat to go on a running drive past the defensive line and, hopefully in their eyes, beyond Lertora. After the fact of this happening, he picked out Fittousi on his right, but Autianna tracked back, and with Germain Sophie went quite a ways to their left blocking Fittousi's shot. And from what I can see here, we really shouldn't be left in the nude from our corner, and mind you, this may have something to do with our physicality as well, but at the same time, physicality is an indicator of being in the game. As far as I know, Autianna, you were out of the game, and when you realized this cost us you saved your ass at the last minute helped by Germain's block. And this is something we need to work on more, I would guess. Corners, but more importantly, awareness. Some of the long time players have this problem, ever since when we got out of the group stages in 87, where you're in this bubble of entitlement, thinking you're too good to pay attention to any developments, that you think you can trackback without really trying, and for the greenhorns who have only joined our squad after 900 years ago, it's down to inexperience. This is going to change, but what won't will be how long pre-game exercises used to be under that of myself before this match, how many gyms you'll be going to with Villanueva and the rest of the fitness team, but it can be said that the frequency is going to change until we get out of this 'too-good' or 'too inexperienced' mentality.

There was also a chance we conceded that had something to do with the errors which I pointed out. Now, on 27 minutes, we saw a commendable pass that wasn't too high or hard to catch with the feet. I mean, fair play to the goalkeeper for controlling that as well but I would have to say if you're going to attempt those boomerang passes, you have to be aware of the danger which they bring and how stupid you may look presenting it.

Ma: Understood. Though I'd rather you not even criticize me, it shows a relative lack of trust in my ability. Trust me, I care about this team, I do, and because of it, I'll work hard. But if there's any time I'd want to receive suggestions from you, it would be in private, nary a word in front of my colleagues.

Ho: I don't care about how much you care, if anything you'll show this by shutting up and not getting teary-eyed towards the slightest hint of criticism. While I was covering this moment, you weren't even the one on who I was going to lay the blame. Besides, being humiliated in public and in private is in our blood, it's the Geektopian way. For example, Szczerbinski was abused by Kelssek on the field and off of it. On the field, he saw his long-time friend and Geektopian goalkeeper, and then off of the field was subject to online bullying by Tim Bowler, who made fun of him in his way by telling him through the social media application MyFace to stop playing video games. A cycle later, Geektopia went to the World Cup and, while Kelssek graduated from qualifying too, we Greens faced much tougher opposition and finished first while Kelssek did worse but still passed to the Round of 16. Suffice to say, we always get the last laugh!

Ma: Weren't our winning generation of players only made possible through the immaturities and cowardice of the squad that participated in the qualifiers of World Cup 86?

E'TA: Good point, Matko! And one point I also thought he missed was them retiring from association football and pursuing other ambitions and/or occupations as a result of their humiliating win against Kels! Thus, the only way this is a cherished institution is through them and us not having the last laugh!

Ho: I don't know what you're saying, Emlee. By making way for more than thirty generational talents, that's them not having the last laugh? Have a word with yourself, Tura Eaer. Anyways, the back pass from Lertora to Germaine Sophie was nice, although I don't know why he was with all of our defenders. Pretty bad of Lerto to pass to someone who's out of position and it's also a pretty bad move to be out of position in the first place. Moving on, Germaine attempted and made a horrible clearance, where Wagon Leader Stanley was the second attacking option that Aut Ves Nat had which dissected our defensive three, clinically passing in open space to Ronaldo Rodriguez de Sousa, who didn't make a tidy shot out of it. This is more of a grounds for Germaine Sophie's deflection now that I'm looking at it. Oh well. I wouldn't guess Sousa does the kind of things he's done here all that often against any decent national eleven who are remotely switched on, so he must have been wanting to claim it. This also violated the Attacking Pass Formation I told every one of you to use, detailing that Germaine Sophie passed to Rebimbas instead of heaving it in the air to lose possession. Remember guys, you have got to pass and do the work. Confusing and giving our opponents what for is seen as a reward for this work. So go out and reward yourselves!
Full-time: Aut-Ves-Nat 1-0 Geektopia

Ho: Well, I can say we tried at the end. So, what I can say happened is that we gave Bob Crockett too much space in this half. I know you were confused by how and when and to what effect a midfield role could run on the right-wing as he did at that moment, but I still need you to be switched on, Pitter. I can also say that it was Matkowski and Gerking's err which gave him that free space to run down from his half of the field to ours. So then after this, I have to say that Bob has a nice crossing foot and found a head in that sparse one-second window of him getting the cross out, and so this went to Wagon Leader Stanley and upon looking at this, I can only say he had a free header. It's unfortunate zonal marking, I'll tell you that, Pitter. No consequences for this dire stuff at the end of the play though, where our keeper caught the headed effort, which was poor. To this point and onwards, it's not looking like we've had much control in how the game goes at all. In another highlight I'm showing you all, we went over a lot of things in our defensive drills. The caveat? This still happens. Now in telling you to be aware, I also understand that most people can and will make these mistakes on a football pitch, just that, having your back to Martin Finoussi and not passing back to Lertora is unacceptable. Enter minute fifty-six, where this happened with Germaine Sophie and we gave a huge chance to Aut-Ves-Nat once again. In that, Finoussi tipped the ball back into our box for Luigi Firmo to receive his header and miss it. Now, that would have been embarrassing, right? Conceding another goal to their DEFENSE? No thanks. Eventually, we cleared it to Rebimbas who did well going across Hesediel the Warrior as he did. Bringing Autianna into the game by utilizing our Attacking Pass Formation was brilliant, no doubt. Then Gerking shot up like a rocket out of his position running to the right of Autianna 'ardiquswaa onto the far end of AVN's side, and I can see Gerking didn't break either with a nice pass. Matkowski, you're not known for your passing in most instances, but you pulled it back towards Pitter, slicing AVN open without raising the ball a hair off of where it stood. But then, this is where we have to talk about greed because Pitter didn't see any other option that was fit besides trying the shot itself. I mean, why not make the pass to Zalie, who's marginally ahead of you and Gundeberga Schikowski? And with that, I also think you have no faith in your colleagues and fancy you could play better as a right-winger. So, do you fancy it?

Pi: Yeah, making a mess out of simple things is pretty easy for me to do, boss. Sorry.

Ho: This isn't the Pitter I know. Sure, you rally in defense and are an enforcer, but never have I seen you throw away the easiest of passes. And, this was our system that we went over ad nauseam. If something is going on, just tell me in my quarters, because you don't forget what I tell you, Pitter. From what I've seen, you haven't forgotten tactical instructions from Dingledine, and the same goes for my time managing this nation.

By the time you all were setting up to pack up your tents and leave the ground, Aut Ves Nat had another attack from a set-piece, where de Sousa whipped the ball into another opposition player. Space is also a problem because when you're behind Sergey Ingenious and fail to catch up with his run, that's risking another goal and your reputation; and this is precisely what Germaine Sophie risked by not having better positioning and placing himself in front of the number eight from the moment this corner started. Keep in mind, you can't have a weary head near the end of the game if I keep you on, you have to will yourself to go forward. I suspect that this was the case with you from the last forty-five minutes, Germaine, and I should have subbed you off earlier, and that's how it is. The past is in the past, but what I saw here WILL be mentioned again if things are to go the way they're going for us, meaning I will mention this and the result against The Holy Empire, be it a bad one, to illustrate to you the fact that we will not have picked up a point in two games.

Aut-Ves-Nat 1-0 Geektopia <> N/A @ N/A, Aut-Ves-Nat
G's: 45+1' by #2 Ronaldo Rodriguez de Sousa for AVN (assisted by #6 Wagon Leader Stanley)
Notable Fouls: YC in the 3' via #8 Matkowski (GEE), YC in the 6' via Germaine Sophie (GEE)
Substitutions: #3 Autianna 'ardiquswaa off at 59 minutes introducing #24 Ringwald for GEE, #26 Gerking off at 59 minutes introducing #16 Witrago for GEE, #18 Germain Sophie out at 70 minutes introducing #4 Livengood for GEE, #11 Zalie 'amquk out at 70 minutes introducing #7 Abdill for GEE, #6 Germaine Sophie out at 83 minutes introducing #13 Blask for GEE

Player Ratings

ON FOR 90 MINS

#22 Lertora = 6.5
#33 Pitter = 6.5
#23 Rebimbas = 6.5
#8 Matkowski = 6.4
#30 Ponti = 6.5
#20 Rinnert = 6.5

SUBBED OFF
#3 Autianna 'ardiquswaa = 6.5
#18 Germain Sophie = 6.5
#6 Germaine Sophie = 6.4
#26 Gerking = 6.5
#11 Zalie 'amquk = 6.5

SUBBED ON
#24 Ringwald = 6.5
#16 Witrago = 6.5
#4 Livengood = 6.5
#7 Abdill = 6.5
#13 Blask = 6.5
Geektopia 3-3 The Holy Empire <> 27,821 @ Place of Valence, Mukladrue, Geektopia
G's: 7' by Miguel Zarides for THE via a free-kick, 44' by Basil Scleruso for THE (assisted by Constantine Lascaro), 56' by #6 Germaine Sophie for GEE (assisted by #17 Gulcan 'iirţasdaṟi), 81' by #4 Livengood for GEE via a free-kick, 90+1' by #33 Pitter for GEE (assisted by #26 Gerking), 90+1' by Basil Scleruso for THE (assisted by Jose Miguel Arianites)
Notable Fouls: N/A
Substitutions: #30 Ponti out at 9 minutes introducing #17 Gulcan 'iirţasdaṟi for GEE, #13 Blask out at 9 minutes introducing #26 Gerking for GEE, #24 Ringwald out at 9 minutes introducing #3 Autianna 'ardiquswaa for GEE, #18 Germain Sophie out at 15 minutes introducing #4 Livengood for GEE, #11 Zalie 'amquk out at 22 minutes introducing #16 Witrago for GEE

Player Ratings

ON FOR 90 MINS

#22 Lertora = 7.0
#33 Pitter = 8.0
#23 Rebimbas = 7.0
#6 Germaine Sophie = 8.0
#8 Matkowski = 7.0
#20 Rinnert = 7.0

SUBBED OFF
#30 Ponti = 7.0
#13 Blask = 7.0
#24 Ringwald = 7.0
#18 Germain Sophie = 7.0
#11 Zalie 'amquk = 7.0

SUBBED ON
#17 Gulcan 'iirţasdaṟi = 7.5
#26 Gerking = 7.5
#3 Autianna 'ardiquswaa = 7.0
#4 Livengood = 8.0
#16 Witrago = 7.0
Last edited by Geektopia on Mon May 09, 2022 3:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
------------------------------
FACTBOOKS
Kings: https://www.nationstates.net/nation=gee ... id=1198022
Language: https://www.nationstates.net/nation=gee ... id=1288251
Rugby: Rugby Sevens Bowl (2nd), Rugby World Cup 28 (R16)
Assoc. Football: CoH 77 (2nd), Di Bradini Cup 48 (Ro16), World Cup 86 (Qualifying), CoH 78 (Group Stage), World Cup 87 (Ro16), World Cup 88 (Qualifying), Di Bradini Cup 50 (Group Stage), The National in Xanneria (1st), World Cup 89 (Qualifying), CoH 81 (Ro16), World Cup 90 (Qualifying), CoH 82 (Group Stage)
Lacrosse: World Championships 28 (Group Stage), World Championships 33 (Group Stage), World Championships 34 (Group Stage)
Kosovo is Kosovo and they play pretty good football to boot :)

Nyowani Kitara
Envoy

Founded: Aug 31, 2020
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Nyowani Kitara » Mon May 09, 2022 2:56 pm

Nyowani Kitara Watch
An unbiased source on all things Nyowani Kitara

Party Watch- The six groups vying for political power via the Ballot Box in Nyowani Kitara

Kitarans at a KPWC political rally in Dewayo

DEWAYO, NYOWANI KITARA- It is something that we have not seen for a long time in this country, and boy, does it feel good- election season is upon us. With the Civil War over and done, and the Osterland independence referendum campaign, quite surprisingly, failing at the final hurdle, we are a unified country that is entering election season. With the war done, and the KFF de-commissioned and the DFLK losing its greatest shot at power, it has caused quite a political re-alignment in Nyowani Kitara politics. Max Ulf, utterly disappointed in his failure to win the power he wanted both at the ballot box and behind the barrel of a gun, decided to retire entirely from politics, sending an earthquake through the political system. The DFLK, which was somewhat of a disparate group to begin with, collapsed without its leading figure holding it together.

Of course, the KFF was disbanded under the peace accords. So, you think, the KPWC will simply swoop in, basically unopposed, and have a free path to an election? Not so fast. There were plenty of people ready to take a crack at em with a gun, there are surely people ready to take a crack at 'em via the ballot box. We're going to take a look at the six largest parties, what they believe, what their focuses are, and what they will focus on if they are elected.

Kitara Progressive Worker's Coalition(KPWC)
Leader: President Nafuna Akongo
Ideology: Socialist
Geography/Demography: Nationwide, all races
Foreign Relations: Join the Common Rushmori Community;

We all know about the KPWC, of course. As winners of the war, it is no shock that they are running to win power behind the ballot box. They've won power in all sorts of ways over nearly a century. Via the ballot box, coups, staring down revolutions- twice(the second time, of course, saved by Nepharans and Eurans, but who's asking). And now, again, trying to win power via the toughest task of all- winning an election after winning a war. You'd think it'd be easy, right? Again, not exactly. They are, unsurprisingly, easily the most polarizing force in this race. Nafuna Akongo is the warlord you know. There's no way around it. But can she shift from survival mode, to victory mode?

Unsurprisingly, there is no interest in digging into Nyowani Kitara's past. She is all about the future. "We need to focus on building a country that works for all." She told reporters. She said, if elected, she's going to focus on trying to negotiate trade deals with their newfound allies, both Nephara and Eura, as well as put in Nyowani Kitara's application to join the Common Rushmori Community. "None of this subregion finds itself as members of the Common Rushmori Community. That needs to end." She told reporters.

Justice for Victims Vanguard(JVV)
Leader: Susan Ounda(Community organizer from Dewayo)
Ideology: Victims Justice
Foreign Relations: Join the Common Rushmori Community, Recognize Yuezhou Government,
Domestic Actions: Prosecute war crimes by all sides in the civil war, start a truth and reconciliation Commission for KPWC crimes during the reigns of all the Akongos, hold all warlords accountable(including bringing both Nafuna and Malik Akongo to trial on home soil), Reparations for refugees and those who suffered during the war

The JVV is all about getting justice for victims from the war- blaming all sides. "The KPWC, the KFF, the DFLK- all of them participated in violence that massacred civilians, driving them from their homes and tearing apart families, some permanently. Everybody should pay." Their focus is rebuilding the country, based on the rights of victims. They have proposed a number of creative actions to put victims at the front of a refreshed country. From Truth and Reconiciliation Commissions, to empowering victims coalitions, to ensuring that victims must approve history textbooks in the country about the war, it is a unique focus for the election campaign. Ounda believes that, even in FPTP, her party is capable of winning a majority.

Ecological Action League(EAL)
Leader: Immanuel Ojuok(in jail for the duration of the civil war)
Ideology: Radical environmentalism, Eco-Socialist, Non-Violence
Foreign Relations: Join the Common Rushmori Community, Recognize Yuezhou Government,
Domestic Actions: End the IPFNK immediately, nationwide ban on gun ownership, abolish national police force(local only), abolish military(officially pacifist state), invest in renewables, other green goals

Environmentalism, meet Rushmore. Immanuel Ojuok has been a longtime Pacifist activist. He spent 12 years in jail in this country, only released when pressure from Nephara forced President Nafuna Akongo to release her political opponents from prison. While he wasn't always a pacifist(as he has been long rumored to be involved in the assassination of a legislator during the Boaz Akongo days), he said that the war changed him. "We've all seen what war can do. And we've seen what an overbearing police state can do. We've got to get rid of it, entirely- national police force, the military, hell- get all soldiers, no matter what country, off of Nyowani Kitara soil. We are going to be a pacifist state." He says also that environment is NYK's most important issue. "Clean energy, clean water- we've got to protect our nature to protect ourselves."

Kitaran Nationalist Coalition(KNC)
Leader: Muhluri Mapimele(in jail for the duration of the civil war)
Ideology: Right-wing, Kitaran nationalism, Soft Monarchist
Geography/Demography: Southern NYK; South Nyowani Kitara
Foreign Relations: Recognize Yuezhou Government, Break off relations with Nephara and Eura, Establish strong relations with Banija
Domestic Actions: Glorify the military, Rewrite history books, outright ban on Osterland political symbols(on the grounds that they work to divide the nation), New Flag

And now, the KNC. A right-wing, Kitaran nationalist organization. Of course, one of the few countries where black nationalism is more of a right-wing force, rather than a left-wing force. Mapimele was actually in jail for 22 years, until Nephara forced his release by the President. Mapimele was in jail for attending a peaceful protest all the way in the days of General Zelotes Akongo's Presidency, which seems like a lifetime ago. He's a die-hard Kitaran nationalist- you can see above what he's going for. He's what some in richer countries would call a culture war fighter. He says that the rights of Kitarans should be respected. "How many black-majority nations are here in Rushmore? That's right- very, very few. We have a unique duty, to preserve our own heritage."

Citizens for a Free Osterland(CFO)
Leader: General Kasper Preus(Former general for both the KRF and the DFLK)
Ideology: Radical environmentalism, Eco-Socialist, Non-Violence
Geography/Demography: Osterland nationalism
Foreign Relations: Recognize Yuezhou Government, Encourage improved relations with Græntfjall
Domestic Actions: Osterland autonomy/Independence, prosecution of Nafuna Akongo

What is known as the CFO. When Max Ulf resigned, of course, the DFLK disbanded. And who has taken their place? The CFO. General Preus was a General in the KRF for a few years until the civil war started, and was an early defector to the DFLK. He has long been a passionate advocate for an independence Osterland, and when the referendum was lost, he said that the dream was not dead. "Not was not the time- with the upheaval of the war, the people wanted peace and stability, not another unknown. But we will be back." And it was him that they would be back under. General Preus, while the party is the only major party not running nationwide, is a big supporter of improving relations with Græntfjall, saying that neighborly relations 'can only help', while allying with the great powers that be, aka Eura and Nephara, are like 'trying to befriend a snake'.

Unified Patriotic Front(UPF)
Leader: Muhoozi Kulan(Political refugee to Græntfjall from the beginning of the war to the end of the Osterland referendum; returned to run for office)
Ideology: Center-Right
Geography/Demography: Nationwide, Religious right, all races
Foreign Relations: Recognize Yuezhou Government, Renew relations with all Neighbors
Domestic Actions: Reform military to 'take out the red rot', tough on crime, prosecution of 'red traitors(including Nafuna Akongo)', universal healthcare, strengthen patriotism of all army members

And finally, for the last party. The UPF. Muhoozi Kulan, who spent the war abroad, is now back and running for Office. Virtually a politically unknown before, he has fundraised all sorts of cash, allowing for the UPF to get to the front of the line. Kulan has managed to ensure that he has cross-national appeal- across both race and geography. Many accuse of him of being a stick in the wind with his positions- 'he only tells people exactly what they want to hear'. Some say. 'Does anyone actually know anything about this dude?' It's interesting- Kulan seems to have very little political history before the war. He says that was not his fault- "when getting involved in politics is a life sentence, that changes things. That's why I'm running- to make sure that doesn't happen again in this country."

We'll talk in further issues about how different issues are effecting this race. But, these are Nyowani Kitara's options. Who will rule Nyowani Kitara?

Way-Too-Early Polling: Decided Voters Only
KPWC- 31%
UPF- 27%
CFO- 7%
KNC- 13%
EAL- 10%
JVV- 10%
Other- 2%

*Same poll had 65% of voters undecided

Sports- Nyowani Kitara stun Poafmersia with 1-0 road victory, but fall to Delaclava in their home opener

DEWAYO- You can't win 'em all, right? Nyowani Kitara always had an extremely challenging start to World Cup Qualifying, paying a visit to Poafmersia. They're ranked 31st, in Pot 2, while we sit in Pot 3. It's a big deal, this match. Of course, the group stage is a little less intense than last time- the top 3 teams, rather than the top two, will go to the World Cup Qualifying playoffs. And with Ko-oren at the top of this group, let's be real- there are only playoff spots available in this group, as there's absolutely no chance that the Dragonflies don't reach the World Cup Finals directly. There's going to be fierce competition for those playoff spots, and the opening game gave Kitaran fans some great hope. Angonga's headed goal in the 53rd ended up being the only one of the match. And a team that has long been criticized for our inability to close out those 1-0 games, actually held down the fort in front of the storm.

And so when 108th ranked Delaclava came to our house, after we had just secured the huge upset win, fans were expectant that this team would be able to pick up its second win from two. But the football gods giveth, the football gods taketh away. 'Tis the reality of watching frankly any team in World Cup Qualifying who isn't ranked in the top 10- you can't simply going into a game expecting to eviscerate your opponents. That's not how these things work. Delaclava pulled off the upset in Dewayo, as goals in the 25th and 32nd from Lukas Meyer were enough, as Olaf Svante's goal in the 72nd minute wasn't enough to rescue a point from the day for the hosts. Liang Wei had his thoughts after the match.

"You all have just seen the ups and downs of World Cup Qualifying." The manager told reporters. "You don't want to get too high after a win, you don't want to get too down on yourselves after a loss. It is not a sprint- it is a 20 match marathon, basically half of a club season. We have 18 games left- nobody's eliminated, nobody's clinched anything. Everybody's still firmly in this thing, and therefore, that means we are as well. I saw a lot of things I liked across this two game window. But I also saw things I didn't like, especially against Delaclava. They deserved the win. Despite this being our home opener, they came out with the thunder, they came out with the energy, and earned 3 points. We've got plenty left to fix. But that's fine- we're only 10% of the way through the campaign. Plenty of time for us to get things right. Right now, it's about performances and ensuring that the whole team is on the same page."

The upcoming two-game window also promises to be a challenging one. The team pays a visit to 62nd ranked Sharktail, after which they host Southwest Eastnorth. Over/under of 3.5 points for the potential 6 window, according to the bookies. Who's willing to take the over?
English pronunciation- "New Chee-tar-ah"

Squidroidia
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 04, 2020

Postby Squidroidia » Mon May 09, 2022 2:57 pm

"The nation of Squidroidia is mourning the loss of its Leader, Higa Takanori. A ruler who presided his country from the day it was liberated to his passing, he is a person that symbolizes the struggle of squids in a human world. On behalf of the Squidroidian government and it's people, we ask you to please observe a minute's silence."

The silence in the stadium was deafening. The 22 players of the Inklings and the Bulls stood together, arm in arm, on the center circle of the pitch down in Cathair, holding in their words and remembering a leader who, while basically a dictator in all but name especially towards the start of his career, gave the Squidroidians everything that was spared from ashes. The Squidroidian players were shedding tears just thinking about him, looking on from above or even below. He'd probably have a Squidroidia jersey on to watch the game that was billed by the media as the "Takanori Memorial Game". Game 1 of 20 in the World Cup 91 qualifiers. A match to honor a person who, if he weren't to exist, wouldn't have seen this team exist, never mind make 2 World Cup appearances.

After the minute's silence, the Squidroidians were placed into their positions and felt a considerable weight on their shoulders, one of a nation who wanted them to win for their leader. All, really, except Wunderbar Quatro. Nobody really knew where Wunderbar Quatro came from. Same for Wunderbars Uno, Dos, Thres, Cinco and Seis. Some say they were remnants of the Apocalypse, the few who didn't die while brainwashed and had a bit of residue left over when they did snap out after Takanori's liberation. Others say they were a result of Takanori experimenting to find the perfect footballers. Either way, it was fitting that they were here for this game, a reminder of the past and, oddly, an omen of the future.

The game at hand was a match of attrition and heart, a classic game of who wanted it the most, amplified by the events leading up to the game. For the longest time it looked like a 0-0 deadlock, with Akiyama and Audioslavia's Goran Stroud protecting over their walls in goal and making their opposition fight for it more. By the looks of things, it was heading to a draw.

Then it didn't. Osa's words say it all.

"...And it's recovered by Dalgaard. Here's Bertolini, he's past the Audioslavia midfield. Past Cappadonna now. Pass to Brooks, she has the defense to worry about, but here's Itō, AND OH MY WORD!!!

"THE AUDIOSLAVIANS ARE CHEERING!

"IT'S A GOAL FOR SQUIDROIDIA!

"A GOAL FOR AN ENTIRE NATION!!

"THIS IS WHY WE PLAY FOOTBALL!!

"THIS IS WHY WE LOVE THE GAME!!!

"SHO IN THE 82ND MINUTE HAS SPEARED THE HEART OF THE AUDIOSLAVIANS!!!
"

82nd minute. Sho fucking Itō. For a good 5 minutes it seemed like the entire multiverse was screaming their lungs out after that goal. Even he couldn't believe it. In his second home. In the first game without Takanori. He and he alone had scored the goal second only to Brook's penalty to take Squidroidia to the World Cup. All he did after the ball went in the net was fall on his knees and look at the pandemonium in the stands and on the pitch. He swear he saw Carabello holding out his hand. All he did was say no.

It wasn't a goal he should've scored. But it was the goal that defined his footballing career. And the only goal of that game.

After the full time whistle and the celebrations from the Squidroidian team and the Audioslavians, Sho resided in his hotel room, pondering it all. He was going to pass it to Hideo. He deserved to score the goal that lifted a nation. But for some reason he just... Went for it. Completely blind and with a lapse of judgement. And now he was not just another Squidroidian. He was the man who lifted a nation.

He pinched himself. No he was not dreaming. And he wasn't going to accept his goal as his own.

Audioslavia 0, Squidroidia 1
Matchday 1, World Cup 91 Qualifiers

Sho Itō Squidroidia's People '82 (SQR)

Eraman
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Eraman » Mon May 09, 2022 3:19 pm

"We, the Prime Minister of Eraman Tun Rendra Usin and the President of Sendhang President Paulus Etamba, both agreed to a region name change," announced Tun Rendra Usin at the press conference after the meeting between the two leaders at the Kambang Palace in Kambang, the capital city of Sendhang.

Tun Rendra Usin has announced his intention of proposing a new name for the region in a sitting at the People's Council but this was the first time it was agreed by another country's leader. That was the main highlight of Tun Rendra Usin's official visit to Sendhang. The news about the agreed higher petroleum export into Sendhang took the second page of the local newspapers. The front page was dominated by the news about the agreement of President Paulus Etamba on a new name for the region. Even the amazing 2-1 win for Eraman away at the more-fancied Milchama in the 91st World Cup qualifiers failed to take the headlines away from Tun Rendra Usin's visit to Sendhang.

It was received favorably in Eraman with the majority of Eramanians thanking the President of Sendhang for his agreement to a name change. This is because Eraman was never part of the Meilawati Empire. In fact, Eramanians folklore often depicts Meilawati Empire as the villain and enemy. In ancient times during the existence of the Meilawati Empire, Eraman was part of the Sripala Empire alongside what is now Pemecutan, Sharktail, Southern Palm Islands, and part of Sendhang. And the two empires don't get along. They competed to be the trading hub. They disputed over borders. And they fought a lot of wars.

Eramanian kings who claimed to be the direct descendants of Sripala emperors continued to offer patronage to Sripala literature way after the fall of Sripala to give themselves more legitimacy, and this literature often portrays Meilawati as the bad guy. The Eramanian public, after centuries of indoctrination by the palace, shared the sentiment that the Meilawati Empire and subsequently Samudera Darussalam must be viewed with suspicion. Hence, they rejoice when Sendhang who was half Meilawati, and half Sripala in ancient times agreed to change the region's name from Melayu which is derived from Meilawati to something else.
Last edited by Eraman on Mon May 09, 2022 4:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Trigramme: ERM | Demonym: Eramanian | Population: 14,753,910
Info: Wiki | Sports: Liga Eraman

Daulapura Daily
- based in Daulapura, the royal capital
- government-owned and ruling party propaganda
- support Royal Daulapura FC
Eraman Journal
- based in Anara, the capital city
- by the peasants, for the peasants (actually by the millionaires, for the masses)
- support Anara FC

Mytanija
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 20, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Mytanija » Mon May 09, 2022 3:30 pm

The title music begins to play and a video montage of footballers playing on muddy pitches whirs across the screen. The camera images are grainy, these are clearly some old-timey footballers, the programme is clearly set at some undefined point in the future looking back on the past. Images of the Mytanar port city of Severyan are interspersed between the football, along with street scenes from Severyan and the supporters of the only football club in the city, Ararat. Above all there is a focus on the legendary manager, Misel Ravnjak, he can often be seen drinking or smoking or even on a television chat show. Finally, the montage settles on the title image.

EPISODE 1: DIRTY OLD TOWN

The series starts with two football managers sat in chairs facing a presenter. Sat on the left is Misel Ravnjak, the manager of Ararat Severyan, famed for his hardnosed defensive approach to the game. On the right is Lev Repin, the manager of the Mytanar national team and a legendary player for both club and country. Repin’s Ararat links will forever be as strong as anybody’s, a one-club man who never left his hometown team. Ravnjak didn’t have quite as storied a playing career, clogging it around in the lower leagues for much of it, but he joined the club he supported as a boy as an academy coach and worked his way up into the full manager’s position.

The two hadn’t really ever encountered one another, but here they were on national television, both linked inextricably to the same club and ready to converse with one another as well as the presenter.

“What would you say about Misel’s management style, Lev? It is brutally effective, isn’t it?” The presenter asked.

“Well, it’s not the sort of football I would like my teams to play, certainly. But you have to give Misel credit. It gets the job done and that’s the name of the game in football a lot of the time, there’s more than one way to skin a cat and there’s more than one way to win a football match.” Lev Repin replied.

“It’s not the sort of football you would like your teams to play?” The presenter asked, slightly taken aback. “What do you mean by that?”

“Well I think it’s supremely negative football, it gives the opponent the ball and the initiative, now I don’t believe in possession for possession’s sake but I think Misel sometimes takes that to an extreme. You don’t want to play the game on the opposition’s terms and be resigned to defending your own box the whole time. I also think the Ararat supporters would like to be entertained when they pay their hard-earned coruns for a ticket at the weekend.”

“Misel won what was only the club’s second ever title with this football?”

“Yes, absolutely, it is well deserved too. All I can do is congratulate Misel and Ararat for that, a completely unexpected achievement. Losing only three games all year is absolutely superb and they deserve all the plaudits for that.”

“Well, Misel, what do you make of what Lev has said there?”

“First I’d like to thank him for his kind words,” Misel said, smirking. “But I’d also like to say that the reason why I was so motivated to take on this job – when I could have sat developing players in the academy – was because I knew that Lev Repin had been linked with it before they eventually gave it to me. If it wasn’t for Lev I wouldn’t be here today.”

“Can you expand on that?”

“Well,” Misel started as he turned to face Lev. “Lev, before you took the national team job I believe you were in talks to return to Ararat as manager, after impressing so much with the club as a player, weren’t you?”

“Yes, that’s absolutely true.”

“Good lad.” Misel smiled. “And you thought the team had a good chance to do something with the players that were coming through, didn’t you?”

“I can absolutely agree with you on that too.”

“Well I thought that – once it was clear you were heading off to take over the national side – if it’s good enough for Lev, which it very nearly was, it has to be good enough for me too. This is a man who would be going to coach Mytanija, so I wanted to prove that my coaching ability could stand up to that comparison too and do what Lev decided against doing. So I took on the job and set about winning Ararat’s second ever Top League title, I wanted to do it and I wanted to do it better than Lev could have done it.”

The images of Ararat playing during the Misel Ravnjak era start up again, this is his first title-winning squad with a central defensive partnership of Zelimir Apostolov and Drazen Zupan, and the pair can be seen heading everything away in a particularly difficult game against Atletik Thessia. Ahead of them is the midfield of Dalibor Vlahovic; Mateja Stojkovic; Martin Zvokelj; and Sinisa Nikic. Vlahovic can be seen slaloming between defenders; Stojkovic breaking the lines with his creative passing; Zvokelj crunching into tackles he has no right to win; and Nikic speeding away from full-backs. Up front is the beanpole striker Rade Loncar. He is a real aerial threat and smaller defenders seem unable to handle him.

“This Ararat team are a phenomenon!” One commentator yelps. Ararat fans can be seen celebrating wildly, seemingly moving as a single mass in the terraces, the lack of barriers probably a safety hazard. These were less enlightened times, however. Pedja Kasun was still there though… The goalkeeper was much younger… But he always seems to be there.

“Wow, yeah, those were some great days.” Kasun smiles, now back in the present. He looks much older than the 22 year old who won the title in the 24/25 season. Wrinkles around his eyes and slightly sagging skin demonstrating that the years come for even athletes, the people who are perhaps in the best shape of all.

“What do you remember about them?” An off-screen interviewer asks.

“Well, it was weird, really. We had quite a young team. I think Drazen Zupan was the oldest and he was only about 28 at the time. Misel had signed him from 1923 Esca for a decent fee, he reckoned that he could be the difference between us winning the league or not. Martin Zvokelj also came in from Arka and he added some real bite to the midfield. I was quite lucky, despite the fact that we didn’t have experience in terms of age most of our team had lots of appearances under their belts. I was behind a defence which must have had nearly a thousand Top League starts between them, even Isaija Yanev had over 100 and he was the same age as me!”

“What about in the midfield and attack?”

“I can feel the gaffer smiling at me for starting with the defence!” Pedja laughs. “But yeah, we had good players, Mateja Stojkovic is arguably still underappreciated even now despite everything he did. Martin freed him up to do his thing and then Dalibor Vlahovic and Sinisa Nikic were both dangerous. They were dangerous in completely different ways, Dalibor was young and Misel had to rein in his desire to come inside all the time, but he was so good on the ball and I think his willingness to try things is what created so many opportunities for us. Sinisa was lightning fast and we could often punt the ball in behind the full-back on his side knowing he’d have a good chance at beating them in a race.”

“Was he really that quick? It’s often difficult to tell from the television footage.”

“Of course! He could probably have been a 100 metre runner in a different life. Who do I have left? Oh yeah, Mirza Cirkovic was very hard-working as the number ten, he was almost more of a defensive asset than an attacking one. And Rade Loncar, whilst his career might not have gone the way many expected for that season everything he did seemed to result in a goal, he was lanky but he had this strength where he could hold defenders off and keep the ball no matter what.”

“Had Misel really ingrained the style in the team by that point? The one he was later going to become defined by?”

“Honestly I’m not so sure, we ended that season with the best defensive record but we had still conceded 31 goals in 30 games. It wasn’t what we eventually became under him, but you have to remember that was like six to eight years later. The squads he had were completely different. But looking back now even winning that title in the 24-25 season would have made Misel Ravnjak an iconic coach, you have to remember what Severyan was like at that time, recovering from the Mytanar Conflict. I’d grown up in it and it gave the city a new lease of life. People had seen so much, stuff which changes people irreparably, but you saw old fellas who would get night terrors because of the war acting like innocent young kids due to the happiness the football gave them. It was freeing for people. The stuff that came later takes him into a completely different category, the stuff of legend, potentially the greatest Mytanar coach ever given the effect he had on the city of Severyan, its football club and its people.”

The archive footage spins back into action, a camera panning high over the city shows Severyan in ruin. It then changes to a much closer shot of a woman, a young mother clutching the hand of a little boy. The little boy is in deep distress as his mother looks towards the camera, dark hair poking out from under her headscarf and tired, heavy eyes almost pleading for assistance through the screen. The scene behind them is one of rubble, an old car is completely burnt out, windows smashed and tyres nowhere to be seen. A small fire rages in the background of the image, flames licking what is left of the concrete walls of an old apartment block.

A robotic voice guides the viewer: “Let’s take a journey through the history of Severyan.”

“Severyan is a port city in the region of Rauchnya. It is a region which historically has boasted a fiercely Catholic population, with there being a large number of traditionally nomadic people moving freely around Rauchnya for hundreds of years. In other regions of Mytanija this has led to Rauchik people being termed ‘gypsies’. Severyan has long been an important meeting ground for these nomadic clans, where they could meet to sell wares and buy fish from the city’s teeming fishing industry. Severyan has a reputation for a lively musical culture, singing songs from Catholic liturgy in an upbeat fashion, combined with their Rauchik folkloric traditions.”

Images of traditional caravans can be seen pootling along broken roads, before thick-armed fishermen appear on the screen, hauling in heavy nets full of silver-scaled fish from the side of their boats. Crowds can be seen gathering to purchase the day’s catch. People dance around a fire, singing songs and smiling as the flames flicker.

“Severyan and Rauchnya more generally has long lagged behind the rest of Mytanija in terms of economic development. It is the smallest region of the country and this poverty and economic backwardness, combined with Rauchnya’s fierce defence of its unique cultural identity and Catholicism has often led to persecution from other Mytanar regions, with Zentria and the Zentrian Orthodox Church consistently attempting to subjugate the region over the years.”

Now tapestries and paintings depicting historic battles arrive on the screen, before changing to more modern photography and video footage. Emaciated children behind barbed-wire fences can be seen, with stricken adults lying face down in the mud behind them.

“The Mytanar Conflict was devastating for Severyan and Rauchnya as a whole. The city’s port was blockaded by Kalinina’s navy, forcing the city into starvation, whilst the people put up a fierce resistance, many Rauchiks were sent to Kalinina’s concentration camps back in Zentria. Many died due to her regime’s racist ethnonationalism. The songs which were once sang with such happiness went quiet.”

A rather still scene is depicted, video footage after a bombing of the city shows the place destroyed, but with nothing moving there is an eerie peacefulness. Miraculously one structure appears untouched, though what was probably a green grass pitch is pitted and cut-up with the impact of shells, Ararat’s Korecky Road stadium remains. A beacon of a community which the Kalinina regime tried to wipe out.

“As Severyan tried to rebuild, freed by the efforts of the Mytanar Otpor and Euran military, football was very low down the agenda in terms of importance. But as some normality was restored, with the efforts of one man the sport seemed to take on healing properties, galvanizing a broken community which was deeply scarred by the horrors of war.”

Once again Misel Ravnjak strides across the screen, looking out over the once destroyed Korecky Road pitch and gesticulating towards his players as the end credits roll.
FEDERATIVNA REPUBLIKA MYTANIJA
Federal Republic of Mytannion

Capital: Esca
Population: c. 49,600,000
Demonym: Mytanar

Interested in Mytanar sport? Visit the Mytanski sportski mediji web page

Zeta Reka and Hugeltaldom
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 19, 2019

Postby Zeta Reka and Hugeltaldom » Mon May 09, 2022 4:18 pm

RekanSport
World Cup 91; Rawić “Jubilant” In Triumph
By Šojka Tomičić
The Rekans began their campaign with a perfect record, albeit after a single game and a single goal from their ever skilled captain. The tournament will not get easier, as Zeta Reka faces a pot three side, and a sleeper side.

Zeta Reka Lineup vs. Valladares
GK: Zlatko Wukowić
CB: Yousef Iwanić (v82')
CB: Karlo Gabrielstein
CB: Lukas Skaaland
LWB: Nikola Djordjewić
RWB: Wladan Momirić
DM: Nikola Branić (v70')
CM: Stanimir Rekawić
CM: Tim Ulrich (v56')
FW: “Fen” Scwartzhammer
FW: Bogdan Rawić (c) (Goal, 34')
Used Subs
CM: Wladoslaw Dorboslawić (^56')
DM: Ena Bratić (^70')
CB: Leo Wendschuch (^82')
Valladares were the opposition for Zeta Reka's opening game. The away side had momentum after a close shave against The Sarian. Valladares would also face a massive amount of Rekans. The National Sports Complex saw some forty nine thousands people attend Zeta Reka's first qualifying matchup, many wearing yellow, red, and white. The sole goal of the game came from Bogdan Rawić. The talisman of Zeta Reka, her top scorer, and captain, Rawić made a run into the box. Only a few touches were needed from there to score.

The game wasn't without troubles, Nikola Branić would be ruled out with a short term leg injury. Three points however made the evening joyous, and no rain fell either, as had been predicted. Bogdan Rawić expressed sympathy for Branić after the match “He's a good player, and I feel bad that he'll be out for a few weeks, at least at our level. He'll be back stronger than before, that's normal for him.” Rawić also spoke on his own performance, “I am proud,” Rawić said, “Overall, I'm Jubilant. We had a good game against people who can take six points off of anyone in our group. We only needed one goal, and sometimes you only need one.”

RekanSport Minibox
World Cup 91, Qualifying Group 7
MD 2
Squidroidia 1–3 Soldera
StrayaRoos 0–1 Audioslavia
Bendicion 5–3 StrayaRoos Barrier Islands
The Sarian 1–2 Drawkland
Zeta Reka and Hugeltaldom 1–0 Valladares

Rankings Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts
.1 Soldera 2 2 0 0 6 1 +5 6
.2 Drawkland 2 2 0 0 7 3 +4 6
.3 Zeta Reka and Hugeltaldom 1 1 0 0 1 0 +1 3

4 Audioslavia 2 1 0 1 1 1 0 3
Valladares 2 1 0 1 2 2 0 3
6 Bendicion 2 1 0 1 7 8 −1 3
7 Squidroidia 2 1 0 1 2 3 −1 3
StrayaRoos Barrier Islands 2 1 0 1 7 8 −1 3
9 StrayaRoos 2 0 0 2 3 5 −2 0
The Sarian 2 0 0 2 2 4 −2 0
11 Togonistan 1 0 0 1 0 3 −3 0
Zeta Reka were in third place after playing a single game. Some teams who finished their first or second weeks with a bye, such as Omerica, Quebec, Valanora and others, are in fourth. Schima Bas and Krytenia are in fifth. The Rekans are the only side with a game in hand to be ranked in third. “Zeta Reka's rank shows the group has more early parity than some others,” RekanSport analyst and writer said in another article about the World Cup's early numbers. “We can't stress enough that the campaign is only one tenth complete,” the article reads, “At the same time Zeta Reka's performance inspire confidence. If ZRH can finally make the playoffs, anything is possible.”

The next opponents for Zeta Reka's Playing Mantis, as they are now called on social media accounts, is Drawkland. The home side has won two games already, with a strong attack. The Root Field is the venue, and each time Drawkland has played, there, they've won after scoring three times. “We're going to the Drawklands by the thousands,” Rekan supporters group The Blue Stars of Zeta Reka promised online, “we're going to show these elite eleven what a Rekan looks like.” Zeta Reka's match after will be the against StrayaRoos Barrier Islands. The StrayaRoos Barrier Islands are a territorial team with some Emus on call that bested their mother country already. Bendicion did score five against the side by contrast, placing the side below Zeta Reka on goal difference. Zeta Reka may thus play with two ball playing defenders, not scared of SBI into playing solidly.

“We're going to fight for six points,” were head coach Lu Jialan's words after the game against Valladares, “These opponents are a test for players and staff alike, but we can pass.” An unnamed staff member of the team had different expectations “We're predicting four points,” the staffer said, “The long term plans are designed for us to have six points after three games, and seven is more than acceptable.”
RekanSport Top 6:
  • World Cup 91; Rawić “Jubilant” In Triumph Special Free Article
  • Cannabis & Alcohol Lobbies Fight Sponsorship Law
  • World Cup 91; A Rekan Invasion? Special Free Article
  • Capital Cove Procure Head Coach
  • Zenith? S-FPL? Most Popular Football League in Zeta Reka Revealed
  • Banfigrade, Platinastigrade, and Others Back in Court
Free Articles remaining this month: 5

Home — Contact — Jobs — Legal — Cookie Policy — Languages (English — Rekan — Hügeltalian)
@ Drawkland (@ The Root Field, Elstrund, Max Cap 133,000)
GK: Zlatko Wukowić
CB: Yousef Iwanić
CB: Marka Krušlin
CB: Sidon Mauer
LWB: Marko Dieter
RWB: Zaur-Luka Igorić
DM: Marko Desimirić
CM: Stanimir Rekawić
CM: Marko Zup
FW: “Fen” Scwartzhammer
FW: Bogdan Rawić (c)
Named Subs
GK: Aleksander Basilić
CB/LWB: Leo Wendschuch
CB: Anubis Zlatkowić
CB: Sigmund Hafner
DM: Ena Bratić
CM: Edwin Markozy
CM: Markus Rolfes
FW: Arnald Gal
FW: Olu Osanyinleye
Vs. The StrayaRoos Barrier Islands (@ 15 Jul Stadion, Ogradjena Brana Okrug, Max Cap 25,650)
GK: Wukan Ogrovenić
CB: Sigmund Hafner
CB: Wlad Wlad
CB: Marka Krušlin
LWB: Marko Dieter
DM: Marko Desimirić
CM: Stanimir Rekawić (c)
CM: Tim Ulrich
FW: Nenad Mihajlowić
FW: Jakow Krstowić
Named Subs
GK: Branislaw Mucić
CB: Anubis Zlatkowić
CB: Lukas Skaaland
CB: Didi Wukowić
DF: Jan Meyer
DM: Marko Djuradjić
CM: Edwin Markozy
CM: Danica Wultz
FW: Leonard Lölling
FW: Wladmir Imilić
Last edited by Zeta Reka and Hugeltaldom on Fri May 13, 2022 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kimi-Suomi
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 03, 2021
Left-wing Utopia

A Tight Loss And A Big Win

Postby Kimi-Suomi » Mon May 09, 2022 4:25 pm

Takaisin jalkapalloon. That's what many were saying across Kimi-Suomi as a 3rd Maailmancupin Karsinnat got underway. Our first two tournaments were certainly both learning experiences about how this sport worked internationally and what we can do to try and maximise our chances of getting points. Now, here in year 3, the aim passed down to Esko Laaksonen from the Kimi-Suomen Jalkapalloliitto was pretty simple - in this group of 11, get into the Top 6 if possible. No pressure if you fail. So, with that goal in mind and everyone at their stations, PELAAMME JALKAPALLOA!

Up first was the campaign opener in Pesä against Sininen Niemi - better known by their native name of Cabo Azure. Las Maçaricas were the one who knocked us out of our debut Cup of Harmony two years ago and to say this crowd here in Kimi Kaupunki wanted a little bit of revenge would be an understatement. What better way to start things off than to beat the last team to beat us in a WCC event - and when Kimi Airo struck home in the 23rd to give us an early lead, the crowd certainly did go a bit wild. Valitettavasti se ei kestäisi and Paulinho made sure that things were going to go his way once again - with both Cleto Silveira and substitute Nelson Botehlo making sure of the 2-1 final score. It was sad to see our efforts go for nought this time around but there was always another game, eh?

Speaking of other games, Game 2 would be over in the BoF nation of Stresinen - or just Stresia. These guys only managed 1 single win down in the Tulikaste and many back in Northern AO felt that this would be the perfect opponent to use for a bounce-back game. To say this was a bounce-back would be an aliarviointia as Kimi-Suomi played was has to be their greatest overall performance in a long old while. This team was a constant threat on the ball, ended up with 72% possession and ended the night with 5 goals to their name, each scored by a different player - Valtteri Nordström, Anne Hintz, Tero Salo, Teemu Räikkönen and Annina Tuominen. It was as simple as that - a great win to put on the books and now, Huuhkajat moved from 8th to 5th in a single game. Still early days, of course, but a good start nonetheless.

We will play only 1 game in the upcoming period as MD3 marks our first bye of the tournament. We will, of course, watch the other games with great interest before we return to action in The Nest against Al Qurija. Anna jalkapallon kaaoksen jatkua. NOSTA KUIN HUUHKAJAT!
B W O A H
A Tribute To The Iceman

Puppet of TJUN-ia
Member of Anaia

The Cordian Isles
Envoy

Founded: Aug 24, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby The Cordian Isles » Mon May 09, 2022 5:54 pm

The Cordasfjord Daily
Sparks of Inspiration in 2-1 Loss to Vdara

DANVIRK- As much as a loss can be a success, the second matchday of WCQs was a success for the North Stars. Hosting Vdara of Pot 2 at the Castle, the Cordians played well, keeping the match competitive all the way to the end.

The Vdarans were the clear favorites coming into the match, ranking among the best footballing nations in the world and coming off a World Cup appearance. Early on, they showed exactly why they're favored to place among the best in Group 6, putting on massive pressure and letting off a barrage of shots in the first ten minutes. Said Diandra Ballard after the match: “That’s something we’ve got to expect from these good teams, especially these more aggressive teams. They’re going to start really quickly, and we need to be prepared for that so we can take advantage of them stretching themselves thin like that.” The fast start put the Cordians on their heels, but an impressive effort from Kristin Bergstrin kept the slate clean for a while.

It couldn’t stay that way forever. Hard-pressed and unable to get the ball out of their own end for more than a minute or so at a time, the Cordians began to break under the pressure. Alkiviadis Manolakis of Vdara broke away from Frederick Johnson to take a pass from Anargyros Stamatelis for a golden chance right in front of the net in the 16th minute. The shot sailed just high as the home fans breathed a sigh of relief. In the 19th, Mathaios Makrotsis fired off a curving shot from a low angle, barely deflected wide off Kristin Bergstrin’s fingertips. Finally, the Vdaran pressure bore fruit in the 21st minute, as Chirstoforos Lazelis redirected a perfect corner from Tryfon Vlahiades over the head of Lucia Verkerk into the right side of the net, Bergstrin too far away to make the save.

The goal seemed to snap the Cordians out of their slump, and they went on the attack on the kickoff. The crowd roared hopefully as the Cordians advanced the ball, but the Vdarans were too good on defense. The North Stars were hard-pressed to even get a shot off from well outside the box, and those they did fire off were low-power, low-quality chances. Sebastian Voll and Anton Osterholt hardly got any time with the ball, as the Vdarans had men always marking them. It wasn’t long before Vdara’s Kimon Karalas picked up an errant pass from Nicholas Eriksen and quickly sent it up to Chirstoforos Lazelis. Only a spectacular read and sprint from Vladimir Demov prevented the break from becoming a full-on breakaway. The match became a bit more even after that, a back-and-forth as both teams wrestled for possession. When the whistle sounded to end the half, Vdara remained up 1-0.

The match to that point had played out about as expected. Vdara had dominated, getting the lion’s share of chances as well as the 1-0 lead, while Cordia had failed to really threaten. But one chance in football can lead to a goal, as the Vdarans would find out early in the second half. The Cordians went on the attack as soon as they kicked off, and unlike the first half, this time they were getting chances and it was the Vdarans breaking under the pressure. A Hannah Andersen shot was tipped and hit the post in the 55th minute, and a desperate Zaharias Frangoglou was able to get his hands on Sebastian Voll’s attempt to clean up the rebound, deflecting it high. On the resulting corner, Rasmus Karlssen sent the ball across the line to Nicholas Eriksen on the far side, who corralled it and sent a left-footed shot over the reaching arms of Frangoglou and into the net to tie the score at 1-all.

The Cordians, riding high from the adrenaline and the support of the nearly-sold-out home crowd, continued to press the attack, but Vdara tightened up their defense and the North Stars didn’t get any top-quality chances. It wasn’t long before Vdara took back possession, as a shot from Rasmus Karlssen went high and set up a goal kick for Vdara. The ball went out to Anargyros Stamatelis, who saw an opening, sending a through ball to Chirstoforos Lazelis, who outran the Cordian back line and slotted an easy shot into the bottom right corner to give Vdara the lead in the 68th minute, and Lazelis his second goal of the match.

The match opened up after that goal. Both sides were advancing the ball quickly, and focusing on the offense, making those fifteen or so minutes among the more entertaining minutes of the match as spectacular play from both keepers kept the score stable. But as the clock drew closer to 90, the Cordians began getting desperate and pressing, taking risks to try and get that equalizer. Sebastian Voll received a pass from Ada Baan in front, but got an awkward touch and the shot was saved. Redvin Chase launched a long ball that Frangoglou bobbled but was able to save. The whistle blew, and Vdara took the 2-1 victory.

Diandra Ballard was overall impressed with her team’s effort. “I think we put everything we had into this game,” she said after the match. “We had a bunch of chances and if the ball had gone our way on a few of them, we could have easily taken this match.” With that said, there’s still a lot of work to do. “We aren’t a top team yet by any means, so there’s always going to be something. Today, it was how we started and how we handled that early pressure. We can’t get put on our heels like that again, or we’ll spend this whole cycle playing from behind.”

Next, the Cordians face another massive test at Mytanija, the Pot 1 team for Group 6. Ballard had some things to say on this, too. “Obviously it’s a big chance to prove ourselves. We can’t get starstruck. This is a big-name, top-tier team, but they’re not invincible, so we just need to focus on playing their game and not letting them change how we do things, and we’ll do fine.” After that match will be a bye day for qualifiers that may or may not feature a match against Graintfjall; we’ll have to wait and see.
Former Executive Director of Founderless
Former WLC Vice President
TSP Legislator
UDS Councillor
UDS Ambassador to TNP
R/Der of moderate skill
Last 16: WLC 38, WLC 39, CoH 83, WCoH 48
Quarterfinalists: BoF 77, WCoH 44, WCoH 45, WCoH 47, AOCAF 67, AOHC 9, AOHC 10
World Cup of Hockey 46 and Atlantean Oceania Hockey Championship 11 Champions!
My opinions do not necessarily reflect those of my regions unless explicitly stated otherwise.
THE CORDIAN ISLES ARE COLD.
Also known as NCE.

Saterun
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 15, 2018
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Saterun » Mon May 09, 2022 6:36 pm

The Promised Land: A Journey Through Saterun Football
By Kalvin Hsemer

Part 1, Chapter 1: One Foggy Day

It is generally agreed upon that football was first introduced to Saterun through Burikinian settlers. Saterun has always been an island (recently, it has expanded into four), and the settlers that arrive come from a variety of different places. Saterun has existed for long enough to consider someone ethnically Saterunalian, instead of an immigrant who is ethnically something else. Anyway, the people of Saterun only started to take up the sport after moving to Lazarus. Burikinia being the primary footballing nation in the region right now (besides us, of course), it seems logical that immigrants from there would be the ones to introduce the sport. There are several tales of who and how, but this is the one I like best.

Saterun has long had a large fishing industry, and approx. 210 years ago a consortium of Burikinian businessmen bought a stake in the market. They came to live here, and brought their passion with them. One of these businessmen, Lee Richter, had brought along a ball. He and the other businessmen would sometimes play out in the park. Saterunalians who worked for them or saw them playing were fascinated. They had never seen anything like it. Pretty soon, Lee and his partners taught a few of their employees how to play. First in the company and then in the country, the game spread like wildfire. Keep in mind, however, that these were just people kicking balls around. There was no real purpose.

That changed. Richter had heard of how popular his game was, and decided to organize an actual game. On March 12th, 1927, 22 employees gathered along with Richter and Jay Mackoff, another businessmen, to play. Richter and Mackoff would manage the respective sides, with the employees playing. As one who was there wrote, "The day was overcast. Some white lines had been painted onto a rectangular field a few hundred yards from the main company building. There were 11-a-side, which, according to Mr. Richter, was the standard team size. The ball was slowly brought onto the field, and the game begun." We don't know that much about the result of the game, but this gives us a vital insight to how football was introduced to Saterun. One foggy day had changed the nation forever.

The town in which the consortium was based in was called Ihaas, later shortened to Ias. Although Ias still has a very strong football culture, the real takeoff of the game was happening 300 miles away, in the nation's-then capital, Tsear. Tsear was a large city, with nearly 900,000 people in the city centre, and was ripe for a new pastime. People had already traveled between Ihaas and Tsear, and someone along the way had brought a football. Somehow, it had made its way to the very influential Gazzati family. They started to fund small games.

Eventually, the Gazzatis set up a permanent football ground, Estadio Rio. That was the name later given to, anyway. Archeologists haven't found evidence of seating, which suggests that it was mainly a field and not a stadium. It was right along the Rescondenso River, hence the name. And, technically, it takes the title of first football ground in Saterun.

Back in Ihaas, football was booming. The Burikinian businessmen set up a team comprised of employees, Crest Football Club. It was an amateur team, in which none of the players got paid for playing. They got paid in their regular jobs. This was only for fun. A long time after that, Crest Football Club would turn into Ias Club Football, the team still around today. That's why there's a banner in Port Park proclaiming "Oldest club, longest silverware drought." Not particularly optimistic, but true.

The first recorded match between two teams from different cities was a friendly in 1934. Crest FC took on Crown Way Athletic. Even though there was no regular league, Crest FC had established themselves as a predominant power. Crown Way was a team from 40 miles up the highway, based in a town called Alherst. Alherst had been one of the first teams to receive the shockwave sent out from Ihaas. Crown Way came to Crest FC's new ground, Mackoff Lane (named after Jay Mackoff, one of the original Burikinian businessmen) and swept Crest FC 4-1. Football power was shifting.

Over in Tsear, however, an even bigger shift was occurring. Now that Saterun had sufficiently grasped the game, it was time to make a ruling body. The SFF was about to come into existence.
Last edited by Saterun on Wed May 11, 2022 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gold Medals: Big Seven Nine Conference Tourny NSCAA 13|Plava Laguna Open Tour Doubles|Independent Associations Championship 20
Silver Medals: Women's World Cup 14|Jenna Raven Cup 1
Bronze Medals: Independent Associations Championship 19|Jenna Raven Cup 4

Я з Україною

Bendicion
Minister

Founded: Nov 19, 2012
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Bendicion » Mon May 09, 2022 6:44 pm

Avanroa Eagle News Network is a news network based in Melbourne Australia. The news agency is the top-grossing news agency in Australia and employs 2,000 employees and staff. The agency is ranked as one of the most unbiased networks in the globe and has significantly given out high-quality content as of late. Although relatively young, the agency builds cooperative collaborations with well known Australian agencies for better quality news

One win, One lose, Stakes are High
May 10 |Aaron Williams
Harsh defeats lead to Sweet Victories as Bendicion scores a win against StrayaRoos Barrier Islands

BENDICION- The Laxtavita Stadium was jam packed with thousands upon thousands of supporters for the two opposing teams, the powerhouse foreign teams, fresh off a hard won battle against Drawkland, and the underdogs, the Bendians, who are more than surprised and captivated all in the World Cup for their talent to keep up with adversity. But it had tested lesser ones compared to what they were about to face with. Although the StrayaRoos Barrier Islands team, was a roster filled with talent and passion, the blazing shouts, cheers and support of the crowds gave the Bendians almost a home court advantage. fans of different origins and nationalities, having watched their team lose in a bitter match a game before, had come to join and support their rivals. But worth mentioning is the Bendian crowds, already rising in the rankings as the most energetic,supportive and boisterous fans in the entire World Cup, giving their all in all to support their team as the Bendian Socceroos took to the pitch.

||Mourinho: Group 7 strategy,not that new to my experience||Avanroa to report of Bendian WC 91 journey || Kuruzov's stock, rising ||2 Bendian fans, arrested after bar fight || Bendian Socceroos famous counter-attack, puzzling football strategists

All rights reserved Bendicion. Do not copy this layout without asking.

Last edited by Santheres on Thu May 12, 2022 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixing page-breaking formatting

Like talking about history and dreaming of Rome. Join now our Discord server and enlist in the legions

Author of ‘Ben was here o/‘
Self Proclaimed Server Hamster
♖ Sic Parvis Magna ♖
From Small Beginnings, Great Things

>>> BENDICION | A STORY KEPT SAFE <<<

NS Issues Work Bench
I like quiet | I hate insensitivity | Perseverance is my drug
Chaotic Sparkles,c.2023 wrote:this was just one hamster that took on the world and that hamster has now been maintained as governor.
The Sapientia, c.2014 wrote:”You'll be back. Once you start , you can never stop”
LWU gtrf0129 c. 2022 wrote:This raid was so powerful that the power went out in my house lol

Hapilopper
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 30, 2019

Postby Hapilopper » Mon May 09, 2022 7:06 pm

Capital Stadium, Hapilopper City
World Cup 91 Qualifying Match 1: Hapilopper 2-1 East Murbley

Nathan Ellis looked out at the packed grandstands at Capital Stadium, took in the loud roar among the 66,000 fans and smiled. It reminded him of the home opener six years before, at the start of World Cup 85, when everyone figured Team Hapilopper was bound for their first World Cup qualification. It seemed like then, the team was on the rise, even as it faced some of its worst tribulations. But then his smile faded a bit. Behind the scenes, there were problems hiding in plain sight. Some players were growing fractured from each other, and other players were having meetings concerning a scheme that figured to set Hapiloppian football back quite a ways.

As he walked back under the tunnel, a reporter walked past and noticed that Nathan had a particularly dark look on his face. It worried him, that maybe Nathan had seen something that he didn’t want to, something that he feared could happen. He feared that the team would wind up like that World Cup 85 team – getting too arrogant, too egotistical, and not focused on the goal. He also feared that something happening from up high could spoil what could be a bright future on the team. So that’s why he positioned himself to become a coach, so he could serve as a liasion between management and players.

“Hey Ellis, you OK?” the reporter called out.

“Fine,” Nathan replied. “I’d rather not talk about it.”

He walked back to the clubhouse to find a team of excited young ballplayers ready to play some ball. These were Nathan’s Kids, the kids he had fought for, the kids he had supported against any sort of executive meddling – and quite literally. He remembered the loud arguments he had with Dom Probst and Thom Perkins over Jerold Dickman, the ill-tempered defenseman. He remembered standing up to Hapiloppian President William Mathis, who wanted to recall his son back to a Hapiloppian team. And here they were, loose and ready to play some ball.

On a TV screen nearby, players were watching a video of tailgate fans putting themselves through tables. It was a hilarious sight to see and it was a clear sign that the team was as relaxed as could be, not worried about what could come in the coming 90 minutes on the pitch. While that pleased Nathan, it also worried him. He had seen good Hapiloppian teams lose to bad teams that had no business challenging them, and a lot of times, the Haps’ clubhouse resembled this.

He realized that the team needed to remember the dangers of this match. An unranked team with no reputation like East Murbley could pull off the upset of upsets on this beautiful evening at Capital Stadium, on a night when they were raising a banner for their World Cup qualification, on a night that just felt rowdier than normal.

As all the players were yukking it up watching the drunk lunatic fans throw themselves through tables, Nathan grabbed a steel chair off to the side, held it by the legs and smacked it against a steel door, generating a hell of a lot of noise and catching the attention of the Hap players.

“Y’all are loose. I like that,” Nathan said. “You’re ready to go out there and whoop some ass. That’s the kind of spirit I like to see. But y’all need an edge. Y’all need a reality check and I’m here to give it. I want that television off and I want you – ALL of you – to pay attention. This is important.”

The Hapiloppian players turned off the television and looked Nathan’s way. To them, he was something of a cult leader. His players followed him fanatically, taking in his every word as he gave it to them. And when he had that deadly-serious look, that crazed look, they knew he was about to say something that mattered.

“I’ve been in locker rooms like this in the past, where all of us were certain we were going to go out and take our opponents down. And I believed it. All of it,” Nathan started. “But you know what happened? There were a few times we got out asses whipped. We went out there and got humbled. Because we didn’t take them seriously enough. We got arrogant. We knew we were going to win ball games. But we started screwing the pooch. And you know something? I see it here right now.”

A few players bristled at the thought, but Nathan had a point.

“I appreciate your want to kill the time by watching idiot fans be idiots. Y’all are ready and you’re not nervous about the match,” Nathan continued. “I bet you feel like you know you’re going to win, right?”

“YEAH!” Parker Mathis blurted out.

Nathan stopped his speech. He turned and walked towards Parker. There wasn’t a happy look or an angry look on Nathan’s face. There was an intense look, a look that indicated there was something he didn’t want to hear and something that had to be addressed.

“No you don’t,” Nathan started. “No you don’t. How much do you think we’ll win by?”

Parker, realizing he might have said the wrong thing at the wrong time, clammed up.

“Go ahead, Mathis, tell me… we’ll win by six goals, right? Ellis will suplex someone through a table, Robson and Bryson will both have hat tricks and we’ll sing and laugh and dance and everyone will have a good time, right?” Nathan said very sarcastically. “That’s not how this works. You know it, everyone knows it. You can’t go out there and think it’s already won.”

Nathan walked past Parker and looked up towards the ceiling. His mood went from intense to reflective as he thought about what to say next.

“A few doors down from here is the visitor’s clubhouse. And inside that clubhouse, I imagine there is a coach from a team representing East Murbley, trying to hype his players up, trying to get them to believe that they can beat Hapilopper. And deep down inside them, they feel like they can do it. They feel like they can propel themselves past us, shock the world and they can start off a World Cup campaign on the right foot. The reason that irks me, Mathis, is simple.”

Nathan’s voice had gone from loud and boisterous to soft, deliberate and pointed. The words were sharp like a knife, a tone that indicated a deathly serious mood.

“The second you feel like you’ve won a game you haven’t played yet is the second you’ve lost it,” Nathan started. “Think about that for a second. You’ve taken your mind out of the game. You’ve let yourself down. You’ve allowed yourself to gain the psychological edge because you don’t need to play the game, because you’ve won it. The other team, meanwhile, probably feels like they can win it. They start to see you get arrogant, see you not take the assignment seriously anymore, so they feel like they can put one over on you.”
Nathan walked back towards Parker, stared him down and stared down some other players.

“And you know what? They do. They do put one over on you. And they do it again. And again. And before you know it, YOU’RE the ones down 6-0. YOU’RE the ones that got suplexed. This is why they play the games. They can beat us. And you’re the ones trying to figure out how you got upset by someone you thought you beat. So I suggest you take this into consideration.”

Nathan looked at the rest of the team, put a chair out in the middle of the group and sat down backwards on it.

“Don’t get yourselves a big head,” Nathan started to conclude. “Don’t get cocky, don’t get arrogant. If you don’t take every opponent seriously – and I MEAN EVERY GOD DAMN OPPONENT – then a team like this can be just as dangerous as the Elves.”

Nathan stared down a sight and started having flashbacks to bad dreams. A dream where Valanora dropped six, seven, no, eight goals on Team Hapilopper. His look grew even more crazed, even more intense.

“You can play your game right. We CAN win. I bet we have a great chance TO win. But we haven’t won yet,” Nathan finished. “So keep that in mind.”
HAPILOPPER. Home of TEAM BLUE, Winner of NSSCRA 11/14 and Baptism of Fire 70.
RAISE HELL, PRAISE DALE!
Visit beautiful Esportiva for your next vacation.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports