NATION

PASSWORD

What is the etymology behind YN's name?

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]
The Aber
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 19, 2021
Ex-Nation

What is the etymology behind YN's name?

Postby The Aber » Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:44 pm

This should prove more than helpful in terms of this forum: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=506351
A lot of people don't usually include the etmology -- the root word -- for which their nation's name comes from. So I figured I'd add something for that, especially for forums like the one about.

E.g.: (from Wikipedia)
The English word Germany derives from the Latin Germania, which came into use after Julius Caesar adopted it for the peoples east of the Rhine. The German term Deutschland, originally diutisciu land ('the German lands') is derived from deutsch (cf. Dutch), descended from Old High German diutisc 'of the people' (from diot or diota 'people'), originally used to distinguish the language of the common people from Latin and its Romance descendants. This in turn descends from Proto-Germanic *þiudiskaz 'of the people' (see also the Latinised form Theodiscus), derived from *þeudō, descended from Proto-Indo-European *tewtéh₂- 'people', from which the word Teutons also originates.

This is mainly for original names (aka, names created by the user), not IRL names.
Last edited by The Aber on Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
✷THE EMPIRE OF THE ABER✷
(AIYBYROULTEUKILR / AAFL’AOULTEUKILRE-SEKYNZUVE DJ’AIYBYRADM)
✷ “LHOKYRHADJDISTUZIN. LHOKYRHADJUDNTIZIN. LHOKYRHADJDAILUTNZIN.” ✷
"AS SHE WAS. AS SHE IS. AS SHE SHALL BE."

_[' ]_ | I.I.R.I.D. | [_★_]

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)︻╦╤─ --------(X_X )

VEHEMENTLY ANTI-COMMUNIST

Catalonia 2070 RP
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 29, 2021
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Catalonia 2070 RP » Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:46 pm

It derives from the word "land of castles"

The Forest of Aeneas
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 15, 2022
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Forest of Aeneas » Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:47 pm

OOC, I called my nation this because I am/was learning about the Aeneid in real life when I made it.

Wikipedia wrote:Aeneas is the Romanization of the hero's original Greek name Αἰνείας (Aineías). Aineías is first introduced in the Homeric Hymn to Aphrodite when Aphrodite gives him his name from the adjective αὶνóν (ainon, "terrible"), for the "terrible grief" (αὶνóν ἄχος) he has caused her by being born a mortal who will age and die.[a][3] It is a popular etymology for the name, apparently exploited by Homer in the Iliad.[4] Later in the Medieval period there were writers who held that, because the Aeneid was written by a philosopher, it is meant to be read philosophically.[5] As such, in the "natural order", the meaning of Aeneas' name combines Greek ennos ("dweller") with demas ("body"), which becomes ennaios or "in-dweller"—i.e. as a god inhabiting a mortal body.[6] However, there is no certainty regarding the origin of his name.

IC ... I don't know I've never figured that out xD
Last edited by The Forest of Aeneas on Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
=> World Assembly Ambassador Cecilia Maro, author of GA#611.

Ooc: Former main of The Ice States.

The Aber
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Aber » Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:48 pm

The Forest of Aeneas wrote:OOC, I called my nation this because I am/was learning about the Aeneid in real life when I made it.

IC ... I don't know I've never figured that out xD

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeneas
✷THE EMPIRE OF THE ABER✷

Mohea
Secretary

Founded: May 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Mohea » Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:48 pm

The founding father of Mohea was a Chamorro man named Fo'u Mohea. He named Mohea after himself.
THE UNITED KINGDOM OF MOHEA

Huayramarca
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 02, 2020
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Huayramarca » Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:56 pm

Comes from the Quechua words huayra (wind) and marca (country). Hence Huayramarca means, literally, Land or Country of the Wind.

Population: 36 million, demonym: Huayramarcan, capital city: Chuquiago languages: Spanish, Quechua, Aymara + 6

CAFA VII Champions

The Aber
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Aber » Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:47 pm

Mohea wrote:The founding father of Mohea was a Chamorro man named Fo'u Mohea. He named Mohea after himself.

And what does his name mean?
✷THE EMPIRE OF THE ABER✷

Free Atlantea
Civilian

Founded: Apr 12, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Atlantea » Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:05 pm

My country is based on a collection of underwater habitations that survived the end of the world and banded together to rebuild something after the land was irradiated and uninhabitable

The Imagination Animals
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 27, 2020
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby The Imagination Animals » Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:33 pm

Al Korosofiya, the name for Crossoveria in its language, is derived from the Crossoveriaanz word "krouzvir" which means "original being" in English. "Krouzvir" was chosen because anthros, an ethnic group of animals with anthropomorphic animals, have inhabited Crossoveria before humans existed. The name has the Latinate suffix "-ia" which means "place of". In short, Crossoveria is transliterated as "land of the original being".
IC Name: Crossoveria
NS Stats are NOT canon!
This nation doesn't represent my views

-----------
-----------
NEWS :: Rostam Hinzarty, member of the Crossoverian Law House, is let out of Esteqlal Hospital having been permanently changed into an anthro wild dog | Boris Anderson announces his run for President of Crossoveria with the Zola Party

Difinbelk
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 29, 2020
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Difinbelk » Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:40 pm

IC: A united Europe causes nuclear war and effectively ends human civilization in the Northern Hemisphere (and much of the Southern); Researchers at a European lunar base reject their heritage and create a new language; "Difinbelk" is the result ("Difin" + "-belk" ("nation"))
OOC: As with all my countries (except UPE), it's keysmash w/ a layer of recombobulation.
Last edited by Difinbelk on Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I run NS Decides the 2024 Election
NS stats mostly canon, but forum posts take precedence where they contradict. (mostly policies/minutae)
Political tests
Major-Tom wrote:You've stood on so many soapboxes on this forum, you may as well be covered in suds.

A 203/17 (~11.94) civilization, according to this index.

Kodak
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 18, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Kodak » Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:42 pm

It Loosely Means:

Ko·dak mo·ment
/ˈkōˌdak ˈmōmənt/
noun
an occasion suitable for memorializing with a photograph.
SLAVA UKRAINE

光復香港,時代 革命
to die

New York Times: Tensions with Einstolz Grow as the Governor of Texas is found deceased in his home, foul play suspected | Kodak moving to possibly join GLDA. Protests Grow in the South | Regular Demonstration of military equipment leaves everyone screaming as Shell explodes inside of the barrel of a Artillery Piece | Top 10 Things you didn’t know about BBCode | Bomb goes off in the Houston children’s museum, 1 staff injured;120k Dollars in damage

Nationalist Northumbria
Senator

Founded: Apr 27, 2019
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nationalist Northumbria » Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:43 pm

North of the Humber
Republic of Northumbria
Bede kinnie — Catgirl appreciator

"The amazing thing is that Tony Blair being shot in the head after running a barricade for inexplicable reasons is one of the most plausible episodes in this RP,
which comes across as House of Cards by the writers of Mr. Bean."

The Aber
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Aber » Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:13 pm

Nationalist Northumbria wrote:North of the Humber

...and what does "Humbra" mean?
✷THE EMPIRE OF THE ABER✷

Reorganized Portugal
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 13, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Reorganized Portugal » Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:34 pm

"Portugal" comes from the Roman-Celtic place name "Portus Cale", a city where the city of Vila Nova de Gaia now stands. While it is known "Portus" comes from the Latin word for "port", the origins of the term "Cale" are less clear. It is theorized it may have been a Celtic word for port, or the name of a Celtic goddess.

Around 200 BC, the Roman Empire conquered Iberia and named the region Portus Cale. This term eventually evolved into "Portucale", then "Portugale", before arriving at its modern form Portugal around the 11th or 12th centuries.
Reorganized Kingdom of Portugal
Capital: Lisbon | Religion: Roman Catholic | TLA: POR
Overview | Constitution | Embassy Program
RTP International News: Nacradian President comes out as transgender | Among Us 2 sells 20 million copies | W h y

RTP Domestic News: Crown Prince Afonso's wife Maria ill | Whales spotted in Madeira | Parliament rejects anti-smoking law
Twilight's Last Gleaming
Congressman Daniel P. Kaheo'ole (D-HI-2)

Nation in Turmoil
Jose Antonio Rabellino
Year: 2026

Gandoor
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 23, 2008
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gandoor » Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:14 pm

The native peoples who lived near where the first settlers arrived referred to the area they lived in as 'gon dur', which literally translates to 'this land'. This term was taken by the settlers to be the actual name for the area and was recorded in English as 'Gondur'. Over time, the spelling would evolve from 'Gondur' to its modern day spelling of 'Gandoor', which was first recorded in 1643.
OOC - Call me Viola
IC Flag|Gandoor Wiki|Q&A|National Currency Database
Reminder that true left-wing politics are incompatible with imperialism, authoritarianism, totalitarianism, and dictatorship in all forms.
Flag is currently a Cinderace.
I'm transfeminine non-binary (but I don't mind or care if you refer to me as a woman).
She/They
27 years old
OOC Info
Twitter: @Sailor_Viola
Steam: Princess Viola
Mastodon: @princessviola@retro.pizza
TGs are welcome

The Aber
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Aber » Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:15 pm

Reorganized Portugal wrote:"Portugal" comes from the Roman-Celtic place name "Portus Cale", a city where the city of Vila Nova de Gaia now stands. While it is known "Portus" comes from the Latin word for "port", the origins of the term "Cale" are less clear. It is theorized it may have been a Celtic word for port, or the name of a Celtic goddess.

Around 200 BC, the Roman Empire conquered Iberia and named the region Portus Cale. This term eventually evolved into "Portucale", then "Portugale", before arriving at its modern form Portugal around the 11th or 12th centuries.

Other historians have argued that Greeks were the first to settle Cale and that the name derives from the Greek word Καλλις kallis, 'beautiful', referring to the beauty of the Douro valley. Others have hypothesized that the word Cale came from the Latin word for 'warm' (Portus Cale thus meaning 'warm port').
✷THE EMPIRE OF THE ABER✷

Independent Cossack Ukraine
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 07, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Independent Cossack Ukraine » Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:18 pm

Ukraine derives from the word "Ukraina," meaning "Borderland" or "Our Borderland," given that Ukraine was on the borders of many empires including Poland and Russia. My version of Ukraine came directly from the Zaporozhian Sich or Cossack Hetmanate, hence the Cossack portion. Independent because in my alternate timeline, Ukraine managed to remain independent by fighting off invaders (even at the expense of some of its territory at times). Hence, Independent Cossack Ukraine. Ukraine has a fascinating and very old history, so I was quite inspired to make this country when I learned about Cossacks.

Nevertopia
Minister

Founded: May 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Nevertopia » Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:32 pm

Last edited by Nevertopia on Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So the CCP won't let me be or let me be me so let me see, they tried to shut me down on CBC but it feels so empty without me.
Communism has failed every time its been tried.
Civilization Index: Class 9.28
Tier 7: Stellar Settler | Level 7: Wonderful Wizard | Type 7: Astro Ambassador
This nation's overview is the primary canon. For more information use NS stats.
Black Lives Matter

Viiria
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 18, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Viiria » Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:41 pm

Viiria is named for Solvyn Viir, discoverer of the planet Viirium which serves as the Imperial capital and first Emperor of the Viirian Imperium. Solvyn's descendents, House Viir, still govern the Imperium today.
Viirian Imperium
Space Feudalism with Gengineered Characteristics

Tangatarehua
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 22, 2021
Mother Knows Best State

Postby Tangatarehua » Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:25 pm

Tangata means "people" in Maori and Rehua is the Maori god of the stars, so the name means "People of the god of the stars".

The connection to Rehua stems from the myth that the first Empress of Tangatarehua was descended from Rehua and his daughter Puanga.
Last edited by Tangatarehua on Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Empire of Tangatarehua/Te Rangatiratanga o Tangatarehua
Factbook | Constitution | History | Embassies | You know you're from Tangatarehua when... | Q&A | Tangatarehua: All Endings | Faces of Tangatarehua

18 March 2024
News: Popular author Ariki Rawhiti Rakau dies aged 58 | Conservative MP says children should be banned from purchasing alcohol | Unemployment rises while interest rates continue to climb | Weather: Tamaki  ☁ 24°C | Whakaara ☀ 16°C | Wharekorana ☀ 17°C | Kaiika ☁ϟ☁ 28°C | Kotiropai ☂⛆ 21°C | Rakipa ☀ 27°C |  Kaitohura ☀ 18°C

NS stats should be taken with a grain of salt completely ignored. Please consult factbooks instead.

The Blazeland Administration
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 15, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby The Blazeland Administration » Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:27 pm

Simple. My game name is Blaze, and I just add -land in the end.
Blazeland Rule The World. Blazelandia Rise!

Ouriburgo
Political Columnist

Founded: Mar 25, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Ouriburgo » Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:34 pm

Its portuguese, "ouro" means gold and "burgo" means burg. So it means "Golden Burg".
"Undeniable FAL fanboy"

Liberse Morrirs
Secretary

Founded: Feb 19, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Liberse Morrirs » Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:23 am

Liberse Morrirs means "free to die" in a language derived from Latin that developed in the areas of our present country (this is why it is called "Libersemorrirsian Latin"). According to a legend around 10 BC one of the founders of the Roman Republic of Cats, Lucianus Villius, shouted as he was burned alive "I want to be free to die of natural causes rather than this way." Indeed in 2010, in honor of the 2020th anniversary of his death, the name of the nation was officially changed from "Republic of Cats" to "Liberse Morrirs"
Last edited by Liberse Morrirs on Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glory to the great nation of Liberse Morrirs

"Cats of the world,unite under our nation.
Unite for the glory
Unite to create the nation of the cats
Together we shall bring all the cats to magnificence and we will bring all of the world to a new age of peace and progress.If we win this war,we will be remembered forever as the people that,in the face of every difficulty and any obstacles,always kept their heads up and went on.

Thomas F. Bowl, 1 October 1940

Mann
Civil Servant

Founded: Jan 10, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Mann » Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:46 am

The name of the Thedish nation is Mann. This is from the Old English (Thedish: Ealdenglisch) word meaning ‘man, human being, person’, from Proto-Germanic (Thedish: Urgermanisch) *-mann, from either Proto-Indo-European (Thedish: Urindeeuropische) *mon- or *men-, the latter meaning ‘to think; mind’.

The ethnonym for the people of Mann is Thedish, singular noun Theder and plural noun Theden (Thedish: Theodisch, Theodar, Theoden). This comes from Old English þēodisċ, meaning ‘national; native, of one's native tribe/nation’, from þēod, meaning ‘nation, tribe, people’. This ethnonym refers exclusively to native, ethnic Theden - outsiders are called Eltheodisch/Eltheodar/Eltheoden in Thedish, which uses the prefix el-, meaning ‘foreign, strange; different, other’, ultimately from Proto-Germanic *aljaz, meaning ‘other, another, else’.
KINGDOM OF MANN By this right I shall conquer
MT Germanic monarchy with low FanT elements, noted for its archaism, chivalric orders and particular religion.

The Herald:

The Imperial Hemisphere
Civilian

Founded: Apr 11, 2022
Ex-Nation

What is the etymology of your nation?

Postby The Imperial Hemisphere » Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:19 am

The Hemisphere Empire is the successor of the Empire of Japan and we are not totalitarian rather than a constitutional monarchy with a parliamentary system.

Our name comes from the Japanese words, 半球帝国 (Hankyū Teikoku) meaning the same thing.
Last edited by The Imperial Hemisphere on Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information