NATION

PASSWORD

Twilight's Last Gleaming: An American Political RP OOC (Open

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

New Luciannova
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 16, 2018
Capitalist Paradise

Patrick J. Buchanan

Postby New Luciannova » Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:17 pm

Dear Mr. Patrick J. Buchanan,
This is Amadeus Putnam, you may remember me for my past support of your previous campaigns in my home state of New Hampshire. I was a member of the Buchanan brigades in our disappointing loss in1992 and our glorious victory in1996 and am one of the few Republicans to have sided with you in opposition military adventures abroad, particularly in Iraq and in your pro-life position. Having endorsed you in the past when you sought the Presidency I kindly ask that you can offer me your endorsement now that it is my turn.
Respectfully,
Amadeus Putnam

(Naturally this will include his publication, the American Conservative and his role as a commentator on MSNBC)

The Sarangtus Lands
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 09, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sarangtus Lands » Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:21 pm

New Luciannova wrote:Dear Mr. Patrick J. Buchanan,
This is Amadeus Putnam, you may remember me for my past support of your previous campaigns in my home state of New Hampshire. I was a member of the Buchanan brigades in our disappointing loss in1992 and our glorious victory in1996 and am one of the few Republicans to have sided with you in opposition military adventures abroad, particularly in Iraq and in your pro-life position. Having endorsed you in the past when you sought the Presidency I kindly ask that you can offer me your endorsement now that it is my turn.
Respectfully,
Amadeus Putnam

(Naturally this will include his publication, the American Conservative and his role as a commentator on MSNBC)

Helms worked for Buchanan's campaign and is literally one of his friends.
This is Emazia's puppet, will be main soon.

New Luciannova
Chargé d'Affaires

Capitalist Paradise

Postby New Luciannova » Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:24 pm

The Sarangtus Lands wrote:
New Luciannova wrote:Dear Mr. Patrick J. Buchanan,
Respectfully,
Amadeus Putnam

Helms worked for Buchanan's campaign and is literally one of his friends.

The same is true of Putnam.

The Sarangtus Lands
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 09, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sarangtus Lands » Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:40 pm

New Luciannova wrote:
The Sarangtus Lands wrote:Helms worked for Buchanan's campaign and is literally one of his friends.

Sorry, the supporter of same sex marriage worked for Buchanan?
This is Emazia's puppet, will be main soon.

Mareadmonte
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 22, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Mareadmonte » Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:34 pm

Jovuistan wrote:Where is Woolworth in all this?

Sincere apologies. Had a really rough week and couldn't post for a bit.

Greater Arab State
Senator

Founded: Jul 12, 2017
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Greater Arab State » Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:49 pm

Please note that due to the specific circumstances of the character's faceclaim, the spoiler image does not represent a 100% accurate image at this point in time, but it will come 2010-2012. I apologise for any inconvenience that may be caused by this.

Character Application and Information Sheet

NS Nation Name: Greater Arab State
Character Name: Thomas Volker
Character Gender: Male
Character Age: 44
Character Height: 5'11
Character Weight: 180 lbs
Character Position/Role/Job: Ranking Member of the House Committee on Oversight and Reform (2007-Present), Chair of the House Committee on Oversight and Reform (2001-2007), Chair of the House Committee on Administration (1999-2001), Representative for Missouri’s 8th Congressional District (1995-Present), Representative for the 145th District of the Missouri House (1989-1995)
Character Country/State of Birth: Missouri
Character State of Residence: Missouri
Character Party Affiliation: Republican (1976-Present)
Faceclaim: Mark Meadows
Main Strengths: Knows where the bodies are buried, strong connections both within his district and across Missouri on account of both his tenure in the state legislature and his House career, noted reputation as an organiser and diligent worker
Main Weaknesses: Representative of a minority faction of the GOP, staunch ideological stance doesn't endear him to moderates, weak on economic policy, has a skeleton or two from his career as a state legislature and his first years in the House
Biography:

Thomas Volker was born on the 22nd of December 1962 in the small town of Leopold, Missouri. The firstborn of Rudolf Volker (1938-Present), a then-Captain serving in the United States Army and Grace Volker (née Dare) (1940-Present), Thomas enjoyed a comfortable upbringing steeped in discipline and a strong emphasis on the family’s Lutheran faith, unusual in the largely Catholic community of Leopold.

Academically, the sole Volker son performed well, albeit not to any extent significant from that of his peers.
Politically, Thomas’ convictions, naturally Conservative due to his upbringing, were firmly consolidated by the influence of his maternal grandfather, a retired attorney who whilst studying at the Washington University in St Louis’ Law School, led the University’s chapter of the America First Committee, and who was currently serving the first of two terms as Prosecuting Attorney for Bollinger County after his election in 1960. This culminated in Thomas joining the Republican Party at the earliest date he could. It was also during his schooling that the young Volker met Torrie Kaiser, who had recently arrived to the state. The two developed a close relationship, culminating in marriage in 1985.

After graduating high school in 1981, Thomas proceeded to study Political Science with a minor in Legal Studies at Washington University in St Louis, where he continued to show a strong academic performance whilst also actively involving himself in the university’s College Republicans, during which he secured an internship with then-White House Communications Director (Not-Pat Buchanan) in the months prior to his graduation in 1985, enabling the Missourian to develop a nascent political network within the conservative movement, as well as a strong relationship with the conservative stalwart. After graduating, Thomas enrolled in the University’s School of Law, studying a joint JD/LLM in Negotiation and Dispute Resolution, where he was noted for being particularly skilled in terms of preparation during mock trials, a matter which the law student used to compensate for what was generally an otherwise dull presentation. Having graduated in 1987, Thomas found work at the small law practice which counted amongst its founding partners his late grandfather. Although the work the young attorney took on was for the most part unremarkable, it enabled Thomas to network further within his little corner of southeastern Missouri, something which would prove a substantial benefit within the next year.

Come 1988, the incumbent Republican State Representative for the 145th District announced their retirement from the state legislature, thus leaving the seat open. Seeing his opportunity, Thomas ran for the Republican primary, emphasising his social conservative credentials as well as the commitment to moral standards shown during his time in private practice. After winning the Republican primary with 46% of the vote, Volker easily won the general election. Representative Volker’s tenure in the Missouri State House was one that saw attention drawn to the freshman, largely as a result of the Republicans being in a minority throughout his time in Jefferson City.
Nevertheless, Thomas was able to achieve some legislative success through sponsoring a bill seeking to strengthen community banks by cutting regulation on them at the state level, with the bill being signed by Governor (Not-John Ashcroft) in 1991.

However, the State Representative garnered some controversy in the state after endorsing the insurgent campaign of his mentor (Not-Pat Buchanan). Furthermore, the early 90s also saw Representative Volker representing the interests of the-then growing 'patriot movement' in a number of cases, particularly regarding the scope of the federal government's powers. Although these efforts would cause Thomas to develop a reputation as a firebrand in Missouri, it enabled him to build support amongst staunch conservatives in the region by carving out a unique niche which up to that point had been unrepresented in either state or federal politics, and which would provide the Missourian with an opportunity in the immediate future.

As 1994 approached, and now in his own third term, Thomas Volker announced his campaign for Missouri’s 8th Congressional District after (Not-Bill Emerson) declined to run for another term. Running as a “trade-sceptical” conservative, and emphasising his own credentials on family values, State Representative Volker handily won the primary with 53% of the vote. Despite now being the Representative-Elect in all but name, Thomas continued to run an active campaign during the general election, emphasising his conservative credentials on family values and law and order in traditionally Republican areas whilst at the same time using his “trade-sceptic conservatism” in an attempt win over traditionally Democratic and union voters in the Lead Belt region. And so, Thomas Volker was duly elected to represent the 8th Congressional District of Missouri with 64% of the vote, a narrow gain from that won by his predecessor in the previous cycle.

His freshman term in the House saw Congressman Volker draw little attention initially, with him regularly voting the party line on legislation. However, that changed when the Missourian endorsed (Not-Pat Buchanan)‘s primary campaign in 1996. Thomas’ stumping for the candidate within his district enabled his ally and mentor to win the states delegates. Nevertheless, Volker’s support for the candidate would prove to be troublesome after his endorsee dropped out during the convention, leaving the freshman Congressman to deal with a displeased House leadership.

As a consequence of his support for the insurgent candidate, Thomas was denied a seat on the House Judiciary Committee and was instead placed at what was perhaps the worst place for an ambitious legislator to find themselves, the House Administration Committee. Nevertheless, Congressman took to his committee assignment as well as one could with such a committee, whilst also working his way back into favour with the GOP leadership by doing the rounds of news outlets during the impeachment of (Not-Bill Clinton) in which he defended the impeachment on the grounds of the presidency requiring only those individuals with the “highest moral fortitude and sense of public service, capable of representing the fundamental values and hopes of the American people”.

Moreover, Congressman Volker also improved his working relationship with the leadership by actively throwing himself into the work of the Administration Committee. As the new millennium, and with it a new set of primaries drew in, Volker’s chance finally came.

Initially, the Congressman endorsed his old mentor (Not-Pat Buchanan) out of a sense and loyalty to the elder statesman of the paleoconservative movement. However, the latter's withdrawal from the primaries and, despite the efforts of his protege, campaign for the Reform Party nomination caused Thomas to endorse the campaign of (Not-George W. Bush) based on both the candidates non-interventionist leanings, as well as providing the Missouri with a further opportunity to ingratiate himself within the GOP. Congressman Volker actively stumped for the Governor during both the primary and general elections. Finding himself now in favour, Thomas was moved up from the Administration Committee, where he had served as chairman since 1999, to the House Committee on Oversight and Reform. However, his new found favour was overshadowed by the beginning of the War on Terror in response to the attack against the United States on September 11th 2001. Despite his scepticism towards foreign interventions, Thomas was for the most part supportive of US troop deployments in both Afghanistan and, to a lesser extent, Iraq, on the grounds that the United States was the direct victim of an attack by its enemies.

However, this soon proved to be detrimental to the Missourian as the situation in Iraq stagnation as the insurgency developed. Moreover, the uncovering of the extent to which the (Not- George W. Bush) Administration had used 'enhanced interrogation techniques' in gaining information from detainees had provoked a backlash both within Congress and amongst the electorate, backlash which Congressman Volker was acutely aware of due to the remit of his congressional committee. This culminated in the Democrats retaking Congress for the first time in 12 years and with it, the majority on the Oversight Committee. Having lost his Chairmanship of the committee, and still in a minority within the Republican Party, the Congressman finds himself working away on means through which to strengthen his faction's position within the GOP, and with it, establish a more authentic conservative movement.

Other Info:
Thomas Volker has been married to Torrie Volker (née Kaiser) for 21 years. In that time they have had five children: Thomas Jr (Born September 1989), Sarah (Born April 1991), William & John (Born January 1993), and Madeleine (Born November 1999).
I have read and accepted the rules of the roleplay: Greater Arab State
Do Not Remove: DRAFT123123
Moggmentum
Trump 2024
This nation does not represent my political views.

New Luciannova
Chargé d'Affaires

Capitalist Paradise

Postby New Luciannova » Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:06 pm

The Sarangtus Lands wrote:
New Luciannova wrote:

Sorry, the supporter of same sex marriage worked for Buchanan?

You mean the hardcore Catholic who is pro-life, lived in New Hampshire, anti-establishment type, who supports secure borders and opposes overseas military adventures? Yes. That guy. I think he'd support him over Bush and Dole.
Irl, I've read all of Pat's books. In high school my "personality portrait" included me with a collection of my favorite books, one of which is Right from the Beginning.
Besides, Putnam's belief is that same-sex marriage should be left up to the states regardless. That's a common opinion, even if it's too moderate for PB&J.
Tell you what, how do you feel about a joint endorsement?
Last edited by New Luciannova on Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mareadmonte
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Mareadmonte » Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:13 pm

If anyone is interested in coming, I think I'm gonna have Woolworth host a southern barbecue at his house North Carolina sometime soon. Thoughts?

New Luciannova
Chargé d'Affaires

Capitalist Paradise

Not sure

Postby New Luciannova » Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:25 pm

Mareadmonte wrote:If anyone is interested in coming, I think I'm gonna have Woolworth host a southern barbecue at his house North Carolina sometime soon. Thoughts?

I'm not sure if the optics will be good there, unless a lot of other guys are going. Sometime this summer, though, Putnam will be having a good old fashioned New England Clam Bake and Lobster boil in New Hampshire.

New Luciannova
Chargé d'Affaires

Capitalist Paradise

Reason Magazine

Postby New Luciannova » Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:27 pm

I am seeking the endorsement of Reason, the libertarian magazine and publication.
Dear Reason,
Amadeus Putnam is the strongest and most credible libertarian candidate to run for President in a very long time. His views strongly align with your editorial board and content. I would be extremely grateful to receive your endorsement for the Presidency.
In Liberty,
Amadeus Putnam

Alozia
Senator

Founded: Jul 02, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Alozia » Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:21 pm

New Luciannova wrote:I am seeking the endorsement of Reason, the libertarian magazine and publication.
Dear Reason,
Amadeus Putnam is the strongest and most credible libertarian candidate to run for President in a very long time. His views strongly align with your editorial board and content. I would be extremely grateful to receive your endorsement for the Presidency.
In Liberty,
Amadeus Putnam

"My son, Amadeus Putnam, is the most capablest and crediblest candidate for president. Please endorse him.
Also, he can watch as much television as he likes. I am completely OK with this.
Amadeus' mom"
Let Freedom Ring Administrator,
Community Outreach and Application Review Coordinator

Gordano and Lysandus wrote:I swear you are the LOTF Mariah sometimes
(Ironic; me when I see Gord)
Peoples shara wrote: "Die nasty!!111"

Alozia
Senator

Founded: Jul 02, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Alozia » Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:23 pm

New Luciannova wrote:Irl, I've read all of Pat's books. In high school my "personality portrait" included me with a collection of my favorite books, one of which is Right from the Beginning.

:|
Let Freedom Ring Administrator,
Community Outreach and Application Review Coordinator

Gordano and Lysandus wrote:I swear you are the LOTF Mariah sometimes
(Ironic; me when I see Gord)
Peoples shara wrote: "Die nasty!!111"

Mareadmonte
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Mareadmonte » Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:57 pm

Here's what Woolworth is referencing.

"...In 2001 Tripp was the Host of the reality TV show "Tripp on a Trip" styled his iconic catchphrase from the 80s. In the show he traveled all across the globe to exotic locales in South America, Africa, Asia and Eastern Europe. However, the show only lasted one season as Tripp was caught soliciting a Thai prostitute in Bangkok while filming one of the final episodes of the season. This information led to a major scandal and the cancellation of the show..." (Baylor application)

Madrinpoor
Minister

Founded: Dec 01, 2020
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Madrinpoor » Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:48 pm

Mareadmonte wrote:If anyone is interested in coming, I think I'm gonna have Woolworth host a southern barbecue at his house North Carolina sometime soon. Thoughts?

St. Cierge'll be there.
MT City-state off the coast of Japan: Sumo wrestling, tech startups, Shintō mobs, gay marriage, Bōsōzuku, taiko drums, zokusha cars, neon signs, skyscrapers, Yakuza, internet, Christians, teen biker gangs, international treaties, inter-city canals, rooftop gardens, Samurai, Internet Explorer, canned beer, and a Shogun. 2002 C.E.
Yooper High Kingdom wrote:If I could describe Mandrinpoor with one word, it would be this: Slick.
Nevertopia wrote:Madrinpoor? More like madrinWEALTH be upon your family, may your days be happy and your burdens be light.

SupportUkraine!
Cuban-American He/him

Meretica
Senator

Founded: Nov 16, 2019
Democratic Socialists

Postby Meretica » Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:50 pm

Madrinpoor wrote:

St. Cierge'll be there.

CHS might attend in the name of unity.

Mareadmonte
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Mareadmonte » Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:53 pm

Meretica wrote:
Madrinpoor wrote:St. Cierge'll be there.

CHS might attend in the name of unity.

Well I didn't intend for it to be a partisan thing anyhow, anyone is welcome to come down!

Melovinta
Envoy

Founded: Aug 31, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Melovinta » Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:56 pm

Alright Gunlsey's coming then
reworking nation n stuff

Prince Kropotkin
Attaché

Founded: Aug 11, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Prince Kropotkin » Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:58 pm

Given there's literally nothing else to do I suppose MC can come.

Jovuistan
Senator

Founded: May 10, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Jovuistan » Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:00 pm

Martel will likely attend.
Die nasty!!111

Lavan Tiri
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 18, 2014
Democratic Socialists

Postby Lavan Tiri » Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:08 pm

Calalo will come if invited
My pronouns are they/them

Join Home of the Brave!
Big Jim P wrote:I like the way you think.

Constaniana wrote:Ah, so you were dropped on your head. This explains a lot.

Zarkenis Ultima wrote:Snarky bastard.

The Grey Wolf wrote:You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

Renewed Imperial Germany wrote:I'm not sure whether to laugh because thIs is the best satire I've ever seen or be very very afraid because someone actually thinks all this so.... have a cookie?

John Holland wrote: John Holland
your mom

Hopal
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 30, 2020
Democratic Socialists

Postby Hopal » Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:13 pm

Shields might come if there's a good enough turnout from the Democratic establishment.
A Nation in South America, comprised of indigenous tribes, immigrants, French and Portuguese settlers, and European Socialists.
Representative Greg Shields (D-CA-28) [Twilight's Last Gleaming]

Sutalia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 10, 2022
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Sutalia » Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:45 pm

Character Application and Information Sheet

NS Nation Name: Sutalia
Character Name: Leon Havek
Character Gender: Male
Character Age: 58
Character Height: 5'10"
Character Weight: 154lbs
Character Position/Job: Professor (1979-1991) Representative for New York's 21st Congressional District (1992-Present)
Character Country/State of Birth: United States/New York
Character State of Residence: New York
Character Party Affiliation: Republican
Faceclaim: David Boaz
Main Strengths: Well-educated, Strong Support from Non-Interventionists,
Main Weaknesses: Unsympathetic, Elitist, Isolationist
Biography: (Minimum 2-3 paragraphs)
Other Info:

I have read and accepted the rules of the roleplay: (Your Nation's Name Here)

Do Not Remove: DRAFT123123
Formerly known as Northern Davincia.

Meretica
Senator

Founded: Nov 16, 2019
Democratic Socialists

Postby Meretica » Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:46 pm

Anyone that would attend a press conference where the Speaker announces a series of anti-corruption bills and proposes forming a House Committee to fight insider trading?

Mareadmonte
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Mareadmonte » Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:51 pm

Meretica wrote:Anyone that would attend a press conference where the Speaker announces a series of anti-corruption bills and proposes forming a House Committee to fight insider trading?

100% Woolworth

Mareadmonte
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Mareadmonte » Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:52 pm

God not the fly...

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse