NATION

PASSWORD

Policy changes idea

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Land of Bobtopia
Secretary

Founded: Mar 18, 2017
Father Knows Best State

Policy changes idea

Postby Land of Bobtopia » Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:02 pm

An idea I have is that if you address an issue that adds a policy you didn't intend on adding, you can go to policies and mark that policy for removal which increases the chance of getting an issue that will have an option to remove that policy. it won't be guaranteed, just more likely. maybe instead of 1/25, it will be like 1/10 (fake numbers, idk likely hood for that stuff)

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:29 am

It is exceptionally difficult to directly judge user intentions in issue answering, where any available option can be readily selected without undue interference and with no assumptions as to whether the user wanted to choose another option (except for Issue #407 "Brasilistan Go Boom," which only has a single option).

Nor would I, a humble green T-shirt wearer, assume that the administrators have enough time on their hands to go through everybody's "But I didn't mean to get this policy!" complaints everywhere user-generated content can be submitted on the website to determine whether they should be eligible for this benefit in regards to any given policy. Users could alternatively just select whatever policies they (un)wanted for removal, which would be arbitrarier.
Last edited by Tinhampton on Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Nanualele
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Nanualele » Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:50 pm

I've just been thinking this same thing. It shouldn't take many IRL years to change policies, and just affecting the chances would be a subtle way of cutting down on the wait without removing it.

Also, making the policies tab user-interactable would make the game more fun.

While I think this proposal would be a great as-is, if we wanted to overcomplicate it a bit, it might be neat to have this chance modified by something like your political freedom, to simulate your autocratic power - nations with low political freedom would have a higher chance of being able to affect what issues come up, and if one is really frustrated with a particular policy, one would be tempted to answer issues clamping down on political freedom.
Last edited by Nanualele on Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to Technical