NATION

PASSWORD

Twilight's Last Gleaming: An American Political RP OOC (Open

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

New Luciannova
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 16, 2018
Capitalist Paradise

Application

Postby New Luciannova » Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:17 am

Character Application and Information Sheet

NS Nation Name: New Luciannova
Character Name: Amadeus Putnam
Character Gender: Male
Character Age: 44
Character Height: 5'10"
Character Weight: 185 lbs.
Character Position/Role/Job: Congressional Representative- New Hampshire's Second District (2003-Present), Podcaster (2002-Present), New Hampshire State Senator (1997-2001), Independent Radio Commenter (1992-1996), Author (1991-Present), Attorney (1989-Present)
Character Country/State of Birth: United States/Massachusetts
Character State of Residence: New Hampshire
Character Party Affiliation: Republican
Faceclaim: George Kent
Main Strengths: Intellectual, Analytical, Fortuitous, Courageous, Independent Spirit, Firm Principles, Born into a Wealthy and Historically Prominent Family, Religious
Main Weaknesses: Awkward, Absent-Minded, Anxious, Aloof, Hidden Mental Stigma, His Family Name may be seen as elitist
Biography: (Minimum 2-3 paragraphs)
Amadeus Putnam was born December of 1962 in Boston Massachusetts as the oldest of three. He is a member of the famous Putnam family, one of the Boston Brahmins. He was born to a Protestant father and a Catholic mother, the latter particularly devout. His father owned a brokerage firm in Boston and his mother was a homemaker but was extremely active in the community.
Putnam grew up in Quincy and attended a Catholic High School. During that time, he was a tournament player of chess and captain of the debate team. He also started a Bible Study at his school, worried that Catholics often didn't know the Bible as well as Protestants did. He graduated toward the top of his class and attended Boston College in undergrad. He initially wanted to become a Catholic priest but decided against it and ultimately had a double major in economics, philosophy, and a minor in divinity. He graduated in 1984, and subsequently went to law school, graduating in 1988 and decided to practice in New Hampshire.
Putnam became active in both state and local politics and supported a populist Republican Presidential Candidate in 1992 and 1996, favoring his policies generally, although questioning some of his more extreme social views. Putnam began running a local radio program called "Faith & Freedom" where he discussed his conservative and libertarian views. He resigned from his program to run for state Senate in 1996, winning a seat, which he held for two terms. He resumed his radio show as a podcast. Although he had supported the President in the general election and after 9-11, he aggressively opposed the PATRIOT Act and called it "a stab in the back." He felt that the plans to enter into Iraq were ill-conceived as well. He made a bid for House of Representatives in 2002 and won a narrow victory. He won more comfortably in 2004. Having been positioned somewhat against the unpopular Bush administration he managed to evade defeat in 2006.
Putnam was widely considered one of the most conservative and most liberal Congressmen simultaneously. Putnam supported abolishing the Department of Education and Commerce, supported a low flat-tax, and a full privatization of social security. Putnam, however, also opposed the "No Child Left Behind" policy, corporate welfare, the invasion of Iraq, and was an early supporter of same-sex marriage. He was aggressively opposed to the PATRIOT Act, and an opponent of the death penalty. Putnam was a staunch opponent of the war on drugs and ultimately legalization, although pursued gradually. Putnam also has generally conservative positions including a pro-life position and supporting the Second Amendment. He wants to move away from fossil fuels toward nuclear power, touting it as "clean, safe, and cheap." Despite all these positions, Putnam would prefer more authority be delegated to individual states. Putnam expressed worry about the housing market since his failed Congressional Campaign in 2002 and expressed his concern publicly after being elected to the Senate. He also has criticized the growing national deficit.

Other Info:
Putnam has written four books, "Stoicism Today," he wrote in 1991, "Stoicism Tomorrow" he wrote in 1995, one called "Paradise Lost: How the Vision of the Founding Fathers has Eroded and What We Must Do to Save It" which he wrote in 2003, and "A Yankee Republican in King George W.'s Court" which was a satire with non-fictional commentary of his experiences, published in 2005. He's hoping to write another book on stoic philosophy and has decided being in a minority party for the first time would be a kind teacher.
Putnam met Abigail "Nabby" Degh (b. 1973) at a speaking engagement in Boston in 1995. She was a grad student at Boston University and attempted to debate him regarding his candidate of choice. He enjoyed speaking with her, however. Despite their disagreement they began a lengthy correspondence. They married in 1998. She has since earned a PhD and is a clinical psychologist and professor at Franklin Pierce University. Putnam has since had three children Thomas Aquinas (8), Dagny (4), and Artemis (2).
Nabby believes Putnam has Asperger's Syndrome (still in the DSM in 2007) and has tested his IQ to be 138, the latter is the only thing that has been released to the public regarding his mental health.
Putnam's siblings include a brother, Logan (Age 40) who is married and works for their father as a stockbroker, and a married sister, Melanie (Age 34), who is a successful CPA.

I have read and accepted the rules of the roleplay: (New Luciannova)

Do Not Remove: DRAFT123123
Last edited by New Luciannova on Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:24 am, edited 4 times in total.

New Luciannova
Chargé d'Affaires

Capitalist Paradise

Postby New Luciannova » Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:18 am

I hope this is suitable.

Gyoric
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 29, 2022
Ex-Nation

Application for RP

Postby Gyoric » Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:25 am

[img]<Photo%20of%20Applicant%20Here>[/img]

NS Nation Name: Gyoric
Character Name: Alexander Baker-Albescu
Character Age: 38
Character Height: 6'2
Character Weight: 194 IBS
Character Position/Role/Job: Representative for Alaska (HOR) (2004 - Present Day)
Character Country/State of Birth: Juneau, Alaska
Character State of Residence: Juneau, Alaska
Faceclaim: https://imgur.com/a/m28XrGH
Main Strengths: Easy-Going, Charismatic, Well-Respected in Home State and Young.
Main Weaknesses: Could sway to Democrats, Inexperienced in Politics, few connections in the political world, Unliked in the Republican Party due to very moderate views.
Born in Juneau, Alaska In 1969, to Mary Baker-Albescu, who was born within the same City, and to his native Romanian Father, Costin Albescu, who had fled Communist-ruled Romania at the age of 17. His mother was 23 when she had Alex, and Costin was 27 and left his native country at the age of 17 in 1959 left the Capital city to go to the Land of the Free and Opportunity in Alaska. Though his mother had wanted more children, his father had refused to have another, suggesting his numerous low-paying jobs during his infancy wouldn't pay the bills for multiple children.

At the age of 12, he would gain an immediate interest in Basketball and would join the School's team. Between 12 - 14, Alex would become a promising player due to tall height at that age, and at 14 would go and play for Alaska Fairbanks' Youth Team at that age. However, his lack of skill on the ball and his lack of movement off-ball would lead to humbling cut 9 months later, with him going from one of the tallest member on the team to being fairly average height in the team. However, his love for Basketball wouldn't fade, and would continue to go for try-outs at the Youth Team until 16, which would be unsuccessful. However, by 16, Alex was a fairly bright student, focusing an academic studies of History and English Literature. This would lead to him at 18 going to the University of Alaska South-East, and would be studying Political Science. It was his time at College which would see his political views mould in.

It is believed Alexander's views were moulded by two factors, his Professor and his friends. His professor was a fairly moderate man in a political sense, belleving in mild conservatism. His views would transform over to Alex, who would, in addition to the classes, attend events held by the Democratic Party. However, his shift over to the Republican Side would occur after he would have a seat under a local council in a town near Campus. This was were he developed an idea of moderate conservatism, and his time spent at the council, in which was between 1988 - 1992. However, his political ambition would go further than local council, and would join the Republican Party in 1993. Between 1994 - 1998, he would join the council of the capital, in which was Republican-Controlled. It was in 96' in which Alexander would befriend the Mayor and would quickly have a lot of influence in the Judaea's Local Councils. He would push bills to support families, swell as using his long bands of influence to prevent certain motions going into place. It was 1998 in which would resign and would then prepare for even more ambitious areas, Governor of Alaska.

Alexander went for the Governor role twice, in 1998, when he would lose in the Primaries to another Republican Candidate. However, it was a surprise to seem him make it to the last 4 for Alaska, seemingly the youngest candidate. He would quickly prepare for 2000, where it was the mid-terms. Though he wasn't backed by much, a few former council members, his major backing was former Mayor of Juneau, though he was unsuccessful once more. However, he would make it to the Last 2, where he would lose in a tight vote. However, these string of progress allowed him the political backing by former members to go for the 2004 Election. The reasoning for not taking part in 2002 was due to his financial and political preparation for 2004. He would receive backing from Former Mayors, and coming up to 2004, he would have the backing of the Party for the House of Representatives in the 2004 Election.

2004 went just as was expected. Winning the primaries with ease, his balanced, youthful and "Liberal Conservatism" in which promised the backing of everyone. His slogan for the election was "Conservative Thinking, Liberal Acting". Many saw the slogan as implying his moderate view. However, him winning as a HOR could be a backstabber. Though his balanced and people-pleasing approach to politics would win him a seat in HOR, his actions wouldn't be at all Republican. Alaska had never been a strong-, right-wing state like Texas, yet, he would work almost as both a Republican and Democrat. Though this allowed changes to go much smoother, this would see the Republicans make him untrustworthy, and make him unpopular in the parties more radical and right-wing areas. He wouldn't support the War on Terror, attempting to vote against implications. However, 2006 would see him comfortably due to his pushing of several changes in his area of Alaska. His 2006 victory wasn't a shock, however, many believe between now and 2008, he will attempt to shift the power onto the Democrats, suggesting not only a change of heart in parties, but an ambition to become Governor, as a democrat.

Known as "The Swinger" in the Republican Party, the next two years could be crucial for Republicans in Alaska, and Democrats, with a power-hungry. ambitious and youthful Representative, who may stop at nothing to get power. Some may even argue he is a "Career Politician".

Other Info:

I have read and accepted the rules of the roleplay: (Gyoric)

Mareadmonte
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 22, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Mareadmonte » Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:38 am

Dentali wrote:
Mareadmonte wrote:
I'll change his rise in influence to after the 94 midterms if that's okay, but I was kind of going for a reverse AOC/Squad. And if you need me to I can axe the censure.

Good to both.

BTW where did you find out about the RP?

So am I accepted?

Melovinta
Envoy

Founded: Aug 31, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Melovinta » Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:44 am

Wait, did my first app get accepted or no? I'm kinda confused because the 3 points gave me the impression that it was denied and I needed to iron it out more.
reworking nation n stuff

The Sarangtus Lands
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 09, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sarangtus Lands » Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:52 am

Melovinta wrote:Wait, did my first app get accepted or no? I'm kinda confused because the 3 points gave me the impression that it was denied and I needed to iron it out more.

It was, indeed, not accepted.
This is Emazia's puppet, will be main soon.

Melovinta
Envoy

Founded: Aug 31, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Melovinta » Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:55 am

The Sarangtus Lands wrote:
Melovinta wrote:Wait, did my first app get accepted or no? I'm kinda confused because the 3 points gave me the impression that it was denied and I needed to iron it out more.

It was, indeed, not accepted.

Alright, do I re-edit my first application or focus on my second application?
reworking nation n stuff

The Anarcho-Syndicalist Commune
Senator

Founded: Feb 01, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Anarcho-Syndicalist Commune » Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:02 pm

Well since this is fresh I might throw up an application. Sorry if this is a dumb question but the rule about Foreign Characters mentions stuff about no lobbyists/other roles, is this only in regards to said foreigners? Because I'd love to run a character themed around the rise of the internet and alternate media given when the RP is set but if that's not allowed that's fine.

Yaruqo
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 02, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Yaruqo » Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:12 pm

New Luciannova wrote: - Amadeus Putnam -

I have a few questions/concerns:

1. If I’m reading this application correctly, Putnam was a lifetime Republican until 2002, when he ran for one of New Hampshire’s two US House seats (please elaborate which one) as a Libertarian. And then two years later (or within the two years between 2002 and 2004), he switched his political affiliation back to Republican, ran for a US Senate seat, came out on top in a crowded GOP primary, and defeated a Democrat in the general election (by how much? What did he run on? Why him and not anyone else that was in the GOP primary?)

2. I find it very unlikely that the Republican voters of NH would be inclined to support someone they’d perceive to be either a turncoat or an opportunist, especially in a crowded primary. Either make a strong case as to how he managed to pull this off despite all of this, or I would strongly recommend thinking of a different character concept. I will be generous and say it isn’t outside of the realm of possibility that someone with Putnam’s libertarian views can be elected to the US Senate by NH voters, but the biggest hurdle is the GOP primary and his stint as a Libertarian candidate for Congress. Perhaps he ran for the Congressional seat in the GOP primary, but lost it, rather than ran for the seat under the banner of a third party that traditionally doesn’t win federal elections.
Join NS P2TM's rebooted US politics RP! - Twilight’s Last Gleaming

Слава Україні!
Glory to Ukraine!

Yaruqo
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Yaruqo » Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:17 pm

The Anarcho-Syndicalist Commune wrote:Well since this is fresh I might throw up an application. Sorry if this is a dumb question but the rule about Foreign Characters mentions stuff about no lobbyists/other roles, is this only in regards to said foreigners? Because I'd love to run a character themed around the rise of the internet and alternate media given when the RP is set but if that's not allowed that's fine.

If you are considering playing an American character that is focused on that, it is allowed, however, considering that this is a political RP, it is strongly encouraged that you have at least one elected official as a character. I would go so far as to say it would be recommended you start off with an elected character, and if you like and another Admin is fine with it, then you can introduce an application for this non-political character (though their interactions/potential are going to be severely limited).
Last edited by Yaruqo on Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Слава Україні!
Glory to Ukraine!

Senator

Postby The Anarcho-Syndicalist Commune » Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:24 pm

Yaruqo wrote:
The Anarcho-Syndicalist Commune wrote:Well since this is fresh I might throw up an application. Sorry if this is a dumb question but the rule about Foreign Characters mentions stuff about no lobbyists/other roles, is this only in regards to said foreigners? Because I'd love to run a character themed around the rise of the internet and alternate media given when the RP is set but if that's not allowed that's fine.

If you are considering playing an American character that is focused on that, it is allowed, however, considering that this is a political RP, it is strongly encouraged that you have at least one elected official as a character. I would go so far as to say it would be recommended you start off with an elected character, and if you like and another Admin is fine with it, then you can introduce an application for this non-political character (though their interactions/potential are going to be severely limited).

Well my plan was to have the run for a house seat in the first campaign season but I can do two characters if that's alright.

Yaruqo
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Yaruqo » Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:28 pm

The Anarcho-Syndicalist Commune wrote:
Yaruqo wrote:

Well my plan was to have the run for a house seat in the first campaign season but I can do two characters if that's alright.

So, we will be starting the RP in March 2007, so you would be waiting a long time to run this guy as a candidate in 2008. Let’s start with seeing a political character of your’s, and then we’ll go from there.

Слава Україні!
Glory to Ukraine!

New Luciannova
Chargé d'Affaires

Capitalist Paradise

Postby New Luciannova » Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:26 pm

Yaruqo wrote:
New Luciannova wrote: - Amadeus Putnam -

I have a few questions/concerns:

1. If I’m reading this application correctly, Putnam was a lifetime Republican until 2002, when he ran for one of New Hampshire’s two US House seats (please elaborate which one) as a Libertarian. And then two years later (or within the two years between 2002 and 2004), he switched his political affiliation back to Republican, ran for a US Senate seat, came out on top in a crowded GOP primary, and defeated a Democrat in the general election (by how much? What did he run on? Why him and not anyone else that was in the GOP primary?)

2. I find it very unlikely that the Republican voters of NH would be inclined to support someone they’d perceive to be either a turncoat or an opportunist, especially in a crowded primary. Either make a strong case as to how he managed to pull this off despite all of this, or I would strongly recommend thinking of a different character concept. I will be generous and say it isn’t outside of the realm of possibility that someone with Putnam’s libertarian views can be elected to the US Senate by NH voters, but the biggest hurdle is the GOP primary and his stint as a Libertarian candidate for Congress. Perhaps he ran for the Congressional seat in the GOP primary, but lost it, rather than ran for the seat under the banner of a third party that traditionally doesn’t win federal elections.

As for 1--> He ran in the second district. He was only a member of the LP for the time he was running (roughly March-November). New Hampshire has same-day voter registration.
He won in a close race:

Putnam: 48.7
Democratic Opponent: 44.9
Independent: 6.4%

He ran on many of the same principles espoused above: concern over the economy, socially tolerant views, pro-gun, pro-life, nuclear power, limited government, criminal justice reform, etc.
I am willing to switch to the GOP primary thing.

2--> The LP is somewhat more tolerated in New Hampshire, due to many Republicans and Democrats running with the FSP. Also, having worked with and for some of these people, many of them want the LP to become a state-wide viable third party at least. The concern this could present is why I mentioned the primary was "crowded." It would be more plausible he could win if eight or nine people were running as opposed to three or four.

Senator

Postby The Anarcho-Syndicalist Commune » Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:35 pm

NS Nation Name: The Anarcho-Syndicalist Commune
Character Name: Stephen Black
Character Age: 35
Character Height: 6'2
Character Weight: 193 lbs.
Character Position/Role/Job: Representative from Colorado's 4th District
Character Country/State of Birth: Colorado
Character State of Residence: Colorado
Character Party Affiliation: Democrat
Faceclaim: Josh Halloway
Main Strengths: A charismatic personality, long family history in his district with great familiarity with the right people to know, and known as a man who gets business done.
Main Weaknesses: He holds a thin majority in his district at the best of times, and is nominally supported by his state party, but is unpopular as a populist and is seen as blocking progress that the CDP is trying to make in the state, as well as being seen by urban voters outside of his main base in Fort Collins as a Democrat in name only. Meanwhile his pro-enviromentalist agenda since he was elected to the congress has been unpopular among the more conservative bases of his home territory, leading to Stephen riding a knife's edge between populism and moderatism that many see as unsustainable.

Biography: Stephen Black is the youngest son of Carson Black, current owner and boss of the Five Horses Ranch located outside of Fort Collins, CO. Comprising a thousand and a half acres, Carson was and remains a strong figure among the Colorado Cattleman's Association and conservatives in the north east corner of the state, serving as Sheriff for Larimer County for two terms from 1986-1998. Stephen spent his early years homeschooled on the ranch, learning to ride, rope, and read books about cowboys and explorers before he learned how to do other things like math. At the age of eleven he was sent to boarding school out east at the behest of his mother, a native Virginian. Attending a variety of prestigious boarding schools in the Northern Virginia area, the teenaged Stephen often spent his free days at school visiting Washington with his friends or hiking in the Shenandoah's as part of class trips. These trips would inspire his two passions in later life, politics and environmentalism. When he returned home for summers and winters he would spend more time in the high country of the rockies then he would on the plains of the family ranch. Upon graduating high school in 1989, not feeling any particular calling in the world, Stephen returned to the east and spent a gap year hiking the Appalachian Trail, much to the dismay of his father. Upon the finishing of his hike, Stephen returned out west, where he was promptly forced to apply to and study at UC-Boulder.

Stephen spent his college years like he would spend most of his life, riding the edge between one world and another. He kept his nose to the grindstone during the day, and engaged with the university's party scene by night. It was a tough way to plow through school and one that he might not have kept himself together doing if it weren't for him meeting his future wife, Laura Miller, in the process. The pair were made for each other, both having a deep interest in both governement and conservation. Together the pair organized several on campus rallies, and both went off to Georgetown Law School upon graduating in 1995. After Law School, Stephen was hired by the Office of the Solicitor in the U.S. Interior office, but was forced to move back out west in early 1999 due to the death of his mother. He opened a private practice focusing on land law and environmental law in Fort Collins, which took off thanks to the never ending land disputes on the plains.

In 2001, Stephen dipped his toes into the political arena proper, and with the help of his father, was elected the mayor of Fort Collins that April. Stephen ran on making the city one of America's first green cities, along with extensive infrastructure repair and reform. In this regard he made much progress, upgrading his city's road and sewer network and rapidly encouraging solar energy across the city. After being elected to a second term in 2003, Stephen spent much of his next encumbancy encouraging the development of recreational areas and improving the city's education system. A system of public use parks were constructed and Stephen's strides in reading intiatives and pushing use of electronic tools such as laptops in classrooms has been seen as ahead of it's time amongst his Colorado political peers. He declined to run for a third term in 2005, instead announcing his candidacy for Colorado's 4th District in 2006. Promoted by his father's friends in the Cattleman's association, and running on a slightly conservative leaning populist democratic platform, as well as promoting the good he had done the City of Fort Collins, Stephen managed to eke out a 1.5% victory in the election over his republican challenger, a victory many believe he would have lost if he had faced an encumbent. He now serves as a member of the House Energy and Commerce and Natural Resources committees, where he has been advocating for the Cattle industry his district relies upon while also trying to pass green energy bills to earn the support of his blue voters in Denver's suburbs and his home city of Fort Collins
Other Info:

I have read and accepted the rules of the roleplay: The Anarcho-Syndicalist Commune

Last edited by The Anarcho-Syndicalist Commune on Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

New Luciannova
Chargé d'Affaires

Capitalist Paradise

Postby New Luciannova » Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:44 pm

In regards to my response to the two challenges to Sen. Amadeus Putnam, what do I need to do to get him approved?

Kargintinia
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 17, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Kargintinia » Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:52 pm

Hola

Alozia
Senator

Founded: Jul 02, 2016
Ex-Nation

WIP in progress APP

Postby Alozia » Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:01 pm

[img]<Photo%20of%20Applicant%20Here>[/img]

NS Nation Name: Alozia
Character Name: Robert J. Wallace
Character Age: 45
Character Height: 5 ft. 7 in.
Character Weight: 154 lbs
Character Position/Role/Job: U.S. Senator from Vermont (2005 - Present)
Character Country/State of Birth: Vermont
Character State of Residence: Vermont
Character Party Affiliation: Democratic
Faceclaim: Dusty Johnson
Main Strengths:
We, the People - Robert Wallace is known for his grassroots activism, entering the Senate not through the halls of Ivy League schools, but rather the Main Street. He's well connected to his constituents, often holds town halls and enjoys high popularity within his state.

Tears Welling Up - Wallace's youth can be considered endearing, as his changing fortunes can be inspirational to a section of population.
Main Weaknesses:
A Man, An Island - Being a grassroots politicians comes with its downsides as Robert Wallace has few, if any, connections to major players in Washington. This makes it harder for him to make an attempt at increasing his power through institutionalized means, forcing him to rely on the sheer power of his popular appeal.
Little Visual Appeal - Wallace is relatively short, skinny and - worst of all - a ginger. This doesn't make him visually appealing.

Biography: Robert John Wallace was born on June 13, 1962 in Burlington, Vermont. Raised in a middle-class family was involved in politics from a young age, winning his first election as a high school student in Burlington High School becoming student body president. Having lived in a relatively liberal state in the 1980s, he became involved in left-wing politics, influenced by his personal opposition to the Reagan Administration, affiliating with the Liberty Union Party and rising to prominence for progressive advocacy.

During his time in college, when Wallace studied at the Robert Larnier College of Medicine at the University of Vermont, his father lost his job, the family's house was forclosed on and the Wallaces lived for two years in an abandoned gas station. Robert and his parents struggled to make ends meet, their accommodation lacked a functioning toilet and the family had to rely on support from friends to support themselves financially while Robert finished his education. Things improved during Robert's final year in college and his family moved to new accommodations and Robert was able graduate with a M.D. in 1983. Following his graduation, he began working as an internist and would do so until being elected to the House of Representatives.

Wallace's first successful political undertaking came in 1992 when he was elected to the Vermont State Senate in Chittenden County officially registered as "Democrat/Progressive". There, he first established himself as a progressive politician active in his community. Constituents appreciated his frequent townhalls and advocacy for green projects as well as for the elderly and sick in the state. He was one of the people involved in organizing busses to Canada to help Vermonters buy medications at a lower price, alongside [not-Bernie Sanders]

Wallace first ran for the House of Representatives in 1996 against then-incumbent first-term Republican as a Democrat. The Democratic Party initially looked skeptically at Wallace's candidacy, considering it too similar to that of [not-Bernie Sanders], Independent Representative who caucused with the Democrats for two terms before narrowly losing his seat in the 1994 Republican Revolution by a single percentage point, but supported Robert in the general election in hopes of regaining the seat and preventing the Republicans from entrenching themselves in the position. Running on a platform of reducing economic inequalities and ending obstruction in Congress, Wallace enjoyed the support of incumbent Democratic Senator from Vermont [not-Patrick Leahy] and Governor [not-Howard Dean]. Proving the previous election to be more of a fad than a trend, Wallace won 54% - 43%, unseating the incumbent Republican and becoming the first Democrat since 1961 and only the second since 1853 to represent Vermont. Analysts cite Wallace's positive campaigning and the 1996 presidential election as one of two major factors that lead to Democratic victory, as well as the relative unpopularity of Republican policies among Vermont voters, who were disappointed with their Republican Representative following the party line on a number of key votes and issues. During his tenure in the House Wallace has not faced significant electoral opposition.

As a Representative, Wallace voiced his support for healthcare reform, supported the creation of SCHIP (later known as CHIP) and co-operated closely with then-First Lady [not-Hillary Clinton]. Their working relationship was good during the [not-Clinton] Administration, but would later deteriorate due to growing policy disagreements. As Congressman, he took interest in the conflict in Northern Ireland, working on the issue with Congressman [not-Pete King], but once again that relationship would deteriorate later on, as [not-Pete King] would become disgruntled with the IRA's vocal opposition to the Iraq War and USA's involvement.

Wallace was a vocal critic of the war in Iraq, both in the House and the Senate, opposing the resolution on the war and participating in the anti-war movement. In the early 2000s, Robert became somewhat distanced towards the Democratic caucus as a number of members "didn't do enough" to oppose [not-President Bush]. He broke off with some [not-Clinton]-era associates over the issues of Afghanistan and Iraq. Despite this, as Senator, Wallace took a trip to Iraq in February 2005, only a month after his swearing-in, to visit American troops stationed there and to look into the issue of healthcare in post-invasion Iraq. He opposed legislation to increase the number of U.S. troops in Iraq.

In 2003 the then-incumbent Senator from Vermont [not-Patrick Leahy] suffered a heart attack, forcing him into retirement. With the primary now open, Wallace took little time to throw his hat into the ring and officially began his campaign. Registering to run as in the Democratic primary in November 2003, Wallace's campaign focused on a number of progressive causes - expanding access to healthcare, increasing minimum wage, establishing prescription medication price controls - while also taking stances relatively unorthodox for a liberal politician, such as opposing gun control. With state-wide name recognition, Wallace had little trouble winning the Democratic primary and moved on to the general election. There, he faced 6 opponents including candidates from the Republican and Green parties as well as a candidate from Liberty Union and two Independents. He won the November election with relative ease, campaigning on economic issues as well as opposition to the war and was sworn in on January 3, 2005.

Wallace opposed President [not-Bush]'s nominations to the Supreme Court, that of [not-Roberts] and [not-Alito].

In 2005, he opposed increased regulation on video games, calling it a moral panic. Since then, Wallace has become a noted video game advocate, popular with a section of younger voters.
Other Info:
Married, with two children
I have read and accepted the rules of the roleplay: Alozia

Last edited by Alozia on Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:55 am, edited 5 times in total.
Let Freedom Ring Administrator,
Community Outreach and Application Review Coordinator

Gordano and Lysandus wrote:I swear you are the LOTF Mariah sometimes
(Ironic; me when I see Gord)
Peoples shara wrote: "Die nasty!!111"

New Provenance
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 09, 2021
Democratic Socialists

Postby New Provenance » Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:57 pm

Dentali wrote:
New Provenance wrote:
(Image)

(Image)

NS Nation Name: New Provenance
Character Name: John Walker Cush
Character Age: 67 years
Character Height: 182 cm
Character Weight: 79 kg
Character Position/Role/Job: Governor of Texas (1994-2000), President of the United States (2000-present)
Character Country/State of Birth: Connecticut, U.S.A.
Character State of Residence: Washington, D.C.
Character Party Affiliation: Republican Party
Faceclaim: Conrad Burns
Main Strengths:

The Cush Name - Cush had since his start in politics when he ran for the House of Representatives in 1978 the advantage of a well-known family name. His family was wealthy and fairly popular in Texas for his father and his grandfather were businessmen in the oil industry in particular. When his father, John H.W. Cush, became president in 1988, Cush became a household name. As such in 1995 he won the Texas governorship after co-owning the Texas Rangers baseball team in the years prior.
A Persuasive Speaker - As opposed to his father, who was seen as an 'awkward' speaker, John W. Cush is an eloquent and persuasive speaker, with an aura of charisma around him.
To Infinity and Beyond - Thanks to the wealth of the Cush family and their connections with politicians and businessmen alike, campaign funding is barely an issue for John W. Cush.

Main Weaknesses:

Not One of Us - Cush's opponents have regularly made the argument that he is elitist and out-of-touch with common Americans due to his wealth and connections all over America, and unfortunately such arguments have gained some support among the American public, damaging the president's public appeal significantly.
In The Shadow - John W. Cush's father, who served as the American president from 1988 to 1992, was regarded as a popular president due to his role in the successful Gulf War in 1991. He is claimed to be the person who oversaw the collapse of America's greatest geopolitical rival and the person who oversaw promising economic growth during his tenure. While Cush too was fairly successful, the surplus at the end of the previous administration disappeared with the War on Terror and his failure to handle Hurricane Katrina has pushed him into the shadow of his father, with many doubting whether or not he is up for the top job in the White House.
Ulterior Motives - Cush has been occasionally accused by opponents of using his position as president to further the interests of his family and his business. While he has repeatedly denied these accusations and no substantial evidence can be found, the accusations have yet to stop coming in.

John Walker Cush was born to John H.W. Cush and Barbara P. Cush on July 6, 1946 in New Haven, Connecticut. He was the first and eldest child of the couple and was raised in Midland and Houston, Texas alongside his four siblings, Jeb, Neil, Martin and Dorothy. His younger sister, Robin, died at three years old from leukemia in 1953, greatly affecting John. His family had long been involved in politics as his paternal grandfather, Prescott Cush, was a U.S. senator from Connecticut.

Cush exceled in public schools in Midland in his early years before his family moved to Houston, where he continued his education after seventh grade before studying at The Kinkaid School, a college-preparatory school in Houston. He attended high school in Andover, Massachusetts where he played baseball and served as head cheerleader. Here he was elected class president, giving him his first experience in 'politics'. He attended Yale University from 1964 to 1968, graduating with a Bachelor of Arts degree in history.

In 1973 he entered Harvard Business School, from which he graduated in 1975 with an MBA degree.

In 1977, Cush married Laura Welsh, a schoolteacher and librarian who he met through mutual friends. The same year, he established Arbusto Energy, a small oil exploration company, which was later renamed to Cush Exploration. In 1984 the company merged with Spectrum 7, a company of which Cush became chairman.

His first exploratory maneuver into politics was in 1978, when he ran unsuccessfully for Texas's 19th Congressional District. He won 46.8% of the vote to his opponent Kent Hance's 53.2%.

In 1988, the Cush family moved to Washington, D.C. to help on John Sr.'s presidential campaign that year, which he won successfully.

In the 1994 election, John W. Cush successfully defeated the Democratic incumbent to secure the Texas governorship, at the same time his brother Jeb unsuccessfully sought the Florida governorship. As governor he signed a bill allowing Texans to obtain permits to carry concealed weapons and used the state's largest surplus to enact a $2 billion tax cut, the state's largest. He extended government funding to programs dedicated to raising awareness on the dangers of alcohol and drug use, as well as the dangers of domestic violence.

In 1998, Cush won re-election with a massive 68% of the popular vote, displaying his apparent popularity as Texas governor. In 1999 he enacted legislation that would go on to make Texas one of the largest wind power-producing states in America.

John W. Cush successfully sought the 2000 Republican presidential nomination and the same year defeated the Democratic candidacy for the presidency of the United States. He portrayed himself as a compassionate conservative, implying he was more centrist compared to other Republicans. He campaigned on a platform of bringing integrity and honor back to the White House, as well as increasing the size of the military, cutting taxes, improving education and aiding minorities. He won the election in the closest presidential race in American history.

In 2001 Cush led the War on Terror in Afghanistan and later in 2003 in Iraq against the Iraqi tyrant who the American government claimed possessed weapons of mass destruction. At first the war was immensely popular among Americans, but as the supposedly few-month-long fight stretched into several years, it became one of the reasons for Cush's fall in popularity.

Commanding broad support in the Republican Party, Cush secured the 2004 Republican presidential nomination with ease and without any significant challengers. In November 2004, he defeated the Democratic presidential candidate for re-election.

In 2005 Hurricane Katrina hit the United States, devastating most of the Gulf Coast of the U.S. Cush's popularity took a nosedive afterwards when he received extreme criticism for downplaying his administration's inadequate response to the hurricane and the destruction left in its wake.

Other Info:
I have read and accepted the rules of the roleplay: (Your Nation's Name Here)

Bush was 51 i think when he left office? Why is this dude so much older?

Don't mention his brother, someone might app for that

Otherwise all good

Alright, as for the age it might've just been a typo.

New Provenance
Diplomat

Democratic Socialists

Postby New Provenance » Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:04 pm

Character Name: John Walker Cush
Character Age: 62 years
Character Height: 182 cm
Character Weight: 79 kg
Character Position/Role/Job: Governor of Texas (1994-2000), President of the United States (2000-present)
Character Country/State of Birth: Connecticut, U.S.A.
Character State of Residence: Washington, D.C.
Character Party Affiliation: Republican Party
Faceclaim: Conrad Burns
Main Strengths:

The Cush Name - Cush had since his start in politics when he ran for the House of Representatives in 1978 the advantage of a well-known family name. His family was wealthy and fairly popular in Texas for his father and his grandfather were businessmen in the oil industry in particular. When his father, John H.W. Cush, became president in 1988, Cush became a household name. As such in 1995 he won the Texas governorship after co-owning the Texas Rangers baseball team in the years prior.
A Persuasive Speaker - As opposed to his father, who was seen as an 'awkward' speaker, John W. Cush is an eloquent and persuasive speaker, with an aura of charisma around him.
To Infinity and Beyond - Thanks to the wealth of the Cush family and their connections with politicians and businessmen alike, campaign funding is barely an issue for John W. Cush.

Main Weaknesses:

Not One of Us - Cush's opponents have regularly made the argument that he is elitist and out-of-touch with common Americans due to his wealth and connections all over America, and unfortunately such arguments have gained some support among the American public, damaging the president's public appeal significantly.
In The Shadow - John W. Cush's father, who served as the American president from 1988 to 1992, was regarded as a popular president due to his role in the successful Gulf War in 1991. He is claimed to be the person who oversaw the collapse of America's greatest geopolitical rival and the person who oversaw promising economic growth during his tenure. While Cush too was fairly successful, the surplus at the end of the previous administration disappeared with the War on Terror and his failure to handle Hurricane Katrina has pushed him into the shadow of his father, with many doubting whether or not he is up for the top job in the White House.
Ulterior Motives - Cush has been occasionally accused by opponents of using his position as president to further the interests of his family and his business. While he has repeatedly denied these accusations and no substantial evidence can be found, the accusations have yet to stop coming in.

John Walker Cush was born to John H.W. Cush and Barbara P. Cush on July 6, 1946 in New Haven, Connecticut. He was the first and eldest child of the couple and was raised in Midland and Houston, Texas alongside his four siblings. His family had long been involved in politics as his paternal grandfather, Prescott Cush, was a U.S. senator from Connecticut.

Cush exceled in public schools in Midland in his early years before his family moved to Houston, where he continued his education after seventh grade before studying at The Kinkaid School, a college-preparatory school in Houston. He attended high school in Andover, Massachusetts where he played baseball and served as head cheerleader. Here he was elected class president, giving him his first experience in 'politics'. He attended Yale University from 1964 to 1968, graduating with a Bachelor of Arts degree in history.

In 1973 he entered Harvard Business School, from which he graduated in 1975 with an MBA degree.

In 1977, Cush married Laura Welsh, a schoolteacher and librarian who he met through mutual friends. The same year, he established Arbusto Energy, a small oil exploration company, which was later renamed to Cush Exploration. In 1984 the company merged with Spectrum 7, a company of which Cush became chairman.

His first exploratory maneuver into politics was in 1978, when he ran unsuccessfully for Texas's 19th Congressional District. He won 46.8% of the vote to his opponent Kent Hance's 53.2%.

In 1988, the Cush family moved to Washington, D.C. to help on John Sr.'s presidential campaign that year, which he won successfully.

In the 1994 election, John W. Cush successfully defeated the Democratic incumbent to secure the Texas governorship. As governor he signed a bill allowing Texans to obtain permits to carry concealed weapons and used the state's largest surplus to enact a $2 billion tax cut, the state's largest. He extended government funding to programs dedicated to raising awareness on the dangers of alcohol and drug use, as well as the dangers of domestic violence.

In 1998, Cush won re-election with a massive 68% of the popular vote, displaying his apparent popularity as Texas governor. In 1999 he enacted legislation that would go on to make Texas one of the largest wind power-producing states in America.

John W. Cush successfully sought the 2000 Republican presidential nomination and the same year defeated the Democratic candidacy for the presidency of the United States. He portrayed himself as a compassionate conservative, implying he was more centrist compared to other Republicans. He campaigned on a platform of bringing integrity and honor back to the White House, as well as increasing the size of the military, cutting taxes, improving education and aiding minorities. He won the election in the closest presidential race in American history.

In 2001 Cush led the War on Terror in Afghanistan and later in 2003 in Iraq against the Iraqi tyrant who the American government claimed possessed weapons of mass destruction. At first the war was immensely popular among Americans, but as the supposedly few-month-long fight stretched into several years, it became one of the reasons for Cush's fall in popularity.

Commanding broad support in the Republican Party, Cush secured the 2004 Republican presidential nomination with ease and without any significant challengers. In November 2004, he defeated the Democratic presidential candidate for re-election.

In 2005 Hurricane Katrina hit the United States, devastating most of the Gulf Coast of the U.S. Cush's popularity took a nosedive afterwards when he received extreme criticism for downplaying his administration's inadequate response to the hurricane and the destruction left in its wake.

Other Info:

Last edited by New Provenance on Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lavan Tiri
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 18, 2014
Democratic Socialists

Postby Lavan Tiri » Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:12 pm

Nancy Binay

NS Nation Name: Lavan

Character Name: Olivia Nalani Hiraya Calalo-Walker

Character Gender: Gorl

Character Age: 49 (born July 23rd, 1959)

Character Height: 5'8

Character Weight: 154 pounds

Character Position/Role/Job:
- Candidate for 2008 United States Presidential Election
- Board Member, Republican Leadership Committee (since 2006)
- Governor of Hawai'i (since 2002)
- Prosecutor of Honolulu (1996-2002)
- Assistant United States Attorney for the District of Hawai'i, Criminal Division (1990-1996)
- Assistant United States Attorney for the Central District of California, Criminal Division (1986-1990)
- Assistant San Francisco District Attorney (1984-1986)

Character Country/State of Birth: Honolulu, Hawai'i

Character State of Residence: Honolulu, Hawai'i

Faceclaim: Nancy Binay

Main Strengths:
- Highly popular in Hawai'i: Calalo's reelection victory was the largest margin of victory in Hawai'ian history, and she has enjoyed consistently high approval ratings during most of her gubernatorial tenure. This is due to a strong economic rebound in Hawai'i during her term, and a perceived decline in corruption and government waste.

- As a Republican governor of one of the bluest states in the nation, her reputation for bipartisanship and ability to balance a conservative ideology and a Democratic supermajority in the legislature has benefited her greatly.

- While not widely known, Calalo has a certain amount of name recognition and respect amongst Beltway players and dedicated politicos

- Skilled manager, compromiser, and dealmaker.

- Young, attractive, crusading reformer who knows how to use her past as a tough prosecutor to project an image of power

Main Weaknesses:
- Republican Governor of probably the most heavily Democratic state in the nation. While Calalo has good personal relationships with the Hawai'i Legislature, her reputation as a dealmaker is mostly based on the fact that she has to be in order to get anything done. The Legislature has occasionally stymied large parts of her agenda since 2002.

- Low name recognition outside Hawai'i, dedicated politicos, and Asian-American communities, which will certainly impact her chances as a Presidential candidate.

- Being a young, attractive, reform-minded woman of color from a tiny state does not endear Calalo to support or friendship from the conservative establishment or the main body of the GOP. Additionally, there is a not-insignifigant contingent of voters who will simply not vote for her either due to her heritage or her gender or both.

- Politically inexperienced, especially in running a campaign outside of a tiny state.

Biography:
Alphonso Calalo (1929-present) and Kanani Haukea (1934-present) met in 1954, when Kanani was working as a waitress at a diner in Honolulu. Alphonso, a law student at the University of Hawai'i, frequented the establishment, and struck up a relationship with the pretty young waitress over time. They were married in 1958, and their first child, Olivia, was born a year later. They also had three other children: Alphonso Junior (1960-present), Luis (1961-present), and Jorge (1965-present). Life in the Calalo household was easy, and cheerful. Olivia remembers this time as the happiest in her life, and maintains a close relationship with her parents.

Alphonso was a career climber, and worked his way up to being appointed Attorney General of Hawai'i in the 1970s. Olivia was very close to get father, and often spent afternoons "helping" him in the office when she was younger--meaning, she would sort-of organize his files in order for him to get some time to spend with his daughter. As she grew up, Olivia was a sporty, athletic girl, with consistently good grades. She played soccer and ran track for her high school teams, just a few years after the passage of Title IX. She also decided during this time that she would be a lawyer like her father, although she went to the mainland for her studies. In 1977, she began attending University of Southern California, where she graduated with a Bachelor's Degree in Sociology in 1981. From 1981 to 1984, Olivia attended the University of San Francisco Law School. She graduated near the top of her class, and was hired by the San Francisco District Attorney shortly after graduation.

As Assistant DA, Olivia's main focus was on criminal law. She assisted in the prosecution of several violent crimes, most notably the trials of serial killers Leonard Lake and Charles Ng. She had a reputation for her quick mind and strong sense of justice, which she claims she inherited from her father. After 26 months at the San Francisco office, she was hired as an Assistant U.S. Attorney for the Central District of California, and moved to Los Angeles in 1986. Her main purview was in the Public Corruption and Civil Rights section, where she assisted in the prosecution and takedown of corrupt public officials and civil rights violations. In 1987, Olivia's work friend Janice set Olivia and her brother, LAPD officer Tom Walker (1961-present), up on a blind date. The pair hit it off quickly, and were engaged within eight months. In 1989, they were married. Olivia insisted on keeping her last name, but agreed to hyphenate it with Tom's on official documents while still going by Calalo unofficially. Olivia and Tom have three sons and a daughter: Gregory (1990-present), Diego (1993-present), Hector (1995-present), and Angelina (1999-present).

While Olivia was pregnant with Gregory, the Calalo-Walker household decided to leave Los Angeles due to the rising crime and cost of living. Instead, the relocated to Olivia's childhood home in Honolulu, where her parents still lived. Tom got a job with the Honolulu police, and Olivia (after maternity leave) found employment with the U.S. Attorney for the District of Hawai'i. She was hired as a Senior Assistant U.S. Attorney in the Public Corruption and Fraud Office.

Olivia worked happily for the U.S. Attorney's office for six years, and reintegrated into Honolulu society. Her father had retired from his political aspirations, as a Republican in Hawai'i. However, his venture at the time (as a well-known defense attorney) and his previous connections allowed him to stay in contact with many heavy hitters in the government. Olivia, who was beginning to consider the possibility of elected office after the birth of her third son, used connections from Alphonso to position herself for a run for Prosecutor of Honolulu County. In late 1996, she announced her campaign and resigned from the U.S. Attorney's office. Although registered as a Republican and unapologetic about it, Olivia's relentless campaigning and connections allowed her to be competitive against a Democratic opponent. She would personally drive across Honolulu, with newborn Hector along for the ride, to knock on doors and deliver speeches. In her campaign, she emphasized that "crime isn't partisan--it isn't political," and claimed that she wouldn't treat the Prosecutor's office as a political office. Her Democratic opponent, by contrast, ran a harsh and attacking campaign against her, hoping to bury her in a tide of partisanship. Olivia instead twisted this, plastering pictures of her and her young children across the city, captioned with insulting quotes from the Democrat. The bottoms of these posters read "This is how [Democrat] treats a young mother of three. Do you trust him to stick up for you?" The Democrat quickly tried reversing his campaign and reducing the partisan tone, quickly switching to a more positive approach. However, at a candidate debate hosted by the local television news, Olivia soundly won, with one particular highlight being a heated exchange over experience. The Democrat claimed that Olivia, being so young, lacked the relevant experience for the job. Olivia fired back, "Let's ask the serial killers I put away in San Francisco if they agree," which the Honolulu Star-Bulletin noted was a "stretch of the truth, at best". But it worked, and Olivia began overtaking the Democrat in the polls. Come election day, she won by roughly 1.7 percent, and was sworn in in December of 1996.

As Prosecutor, Olivia was mostly in an administrative role, which she chafed at. Her main responsibilities, she found out, were to supervise the two-hundred-odd other attorneys and prosecutors who worked for the department and did most of the legwork. She proved component at it, and would take a case or two a year to prosecute herself. She cracked down on organized crime and government corruption in Honolulu, seizing on widespread dissatisfaction with the state government and rising crime. Under Olivia, the Prosecutor's office had a policy to take as few plea deals for violent crime and corruption as possible--and to only take them when there was a clear benefit to doing so. She also enforced harsh trials and sought hard sentences for young offenders to reduce youth crime, while also rooting out dirty cops in the Honolulu PD.

In 1999, Olivia prosecuted a case herself--the worst mass murder in Hawai'i history. The 1999 Xerox Shootings, where a service tech at a Xerox facility in Honolulu shot and killed 7 coworkers. Olivia made the national news during the trial, and boosted her statewide profile as well, for her aggressive offense and pursuit of the harshest sentence possible for the shooter. In the end, the shooter got sentenced to life in prison with no possibility of parole. The fame and renown from this trial carried her to a solid reelection in 2000.

In 2000, Olivia convinced the state legislature to amend the laws surrounding trials in Hawai'i. Now, instead of calling witnesses and interviewing the victims, a trial for violent crime can be called by the judge, after a careful examination of the evidence surrounding the case. Critics have said that this violates personal liberties, while Olivia claims that it makes for a better system: rather than take up police officers' time and potentially re-traumatizing victims by forcing them to submit to questions before a trial even begins, the judge can simply decide to go to trial based on the gathered evidence.

As Prosecutor, Olivia was known for a very hands-on management style, which some former employees characterized as "micromanaging". It was also noted that she only personally prosecuted cases that were a "slam dunk" for the prosecution. In 2002, Olivia was recruited by some Honolulu Republicans to run for Governor. The incumbent, term-limited Democrat was unpopular, while the only prominent Republican candidate in the race had already lost the 1998 race. Olivia agreed, and entered the Republican primary.

The Republican primary was a very clean race: both candidates met early on and agreed to avoid attacking one another publicly, and both publicly said that they would endorse and campaign for whoever won the nomination. The Star-Bulletin sarcastically referred to the singular Republican debate as "the most polite event you'll see this side of a Victorian tea party". In the end, Olivia barely won the primary, due mainly to her prominent role in the 1999 trial and her voter base being in the states most populated municipality.

The general election was a tough race. Olivia and the HI GOP put out a news bulletin, "A New Vision for Hawai'i", where they laid out their reformist ambitions versus "The Way Things Are" (AKA, the Democratic platform). With the state economy in a slump, over 40 years of continuous Democratic government, and an unpopular candidate nominated by the Democrats, Olivia was able to pull ahead by a point early on and maintain her lead. In the general election, she won 51% to 48%, and was sworn in in December 2002.

As Governor, Olivia has sought to revitalize and diversify the state economy. She fought to decentralize and deregulate the state, including a quixotic effort to decentralize education in Hawai'i, and give more control to local areas instead of the state government. She also tried to pass a law that would allow municipalities in Hawai'i to incorporate, as Hawai'i does not recognize local government below the County level. Both these efforts failed. However, she did manage to attract more diverse businesses that didn't rely on land development and tourism. She also testified in Congress in 2005, arguing for the repeal of the Jones Act. While she failed to get the law repealed, she attracted good press.

In her first term, Olivia also pursued greater energy independence, targeted tax relief, an increase in Hawai‘i’s homegrown food supply and security, workforce development, expansion of quality health care, creation of more affordable housing, modernization of the transportation infrastructure, and bolstering of public safety and disaster preparedness. She established the Hawai‘i Innovation Initiative to develop the capacity of residents and businesses to innovate with the goal of enabling the state to compete in the global economy of the 21st century and create new, higher-paying jobs, and as the 2006 election neared, her popularity soared--as did the state budget surplus. In January 2006, it was estimated that Hawai'i had a record government surplus of $730 billion, as opposed to the $250 million deficit in 2002.

In 2004, aided by the War on Terror and the popularity of the Republican governor, polls showed (not-Kerry) only leading President Cush by a point. The Vice President campaigned alongside Olivia, and although the state went blue again, the Governor made useful contacts in Washington. She was selected as Chair of the 2004 Republican National Convention, and gave a widely-praised opening speech, in which she praised Cush and called for "An America we can be proud of".

Although she initially appeared to be a very vulnerable candidate in 2002--with many thinking of her victory as a fluke--by late 2005, no prominent Democrat in Hawai'i was willing to run against Olivia. The party nominated a little-known state senator, who attacked Calalo for her tough on crime policies, and for sending criminals to prisons on the mainland instead of keeping them in Hawai'i. Calalo ran a positive campaign, focused on her success in office and her vision for the future of Hawai'i. In the end, she won 63% to 35%, the largest margin of victory in Hawai'i history.

Early in her second term, Olivia has once more tried fighting the Democratic legislature to dissolve the State Board of Education and instead form 7 County Boards of Education, to "return control to the people in the community". She has also quietly begun accumulating support for a 2008 Presidential bid, despite the seeming hopelessness of a mixed-race moderate from a tiny state winning the primary or the general election.

Other Info:
- Devout Catholic.

- Husband left Honolulu PD for work in private security when Olivia was elected Prosecutor.

Governor Calalo has variously been referred to as a moderate, centrist, or "Rockefeller" Republican. She describes herself as "functionally pretty libertarian", noting that she believes "the business of government isn't to put its nose in people's business...it's to provide services that private industry cannot. I care less about Roe v Wade than I do about reducing crime, corruption, and homelessness." She has allied herself with moderate groups and individuals such as (not-Christine Todd Whitman) and the Log Cabin Republicans.

Healthcare
"The amount of un-and-underinsured people in America is frankly, alarming. And terrifying. I believe that we need to expand the web of coverage, but the way to do that isn't through a European-style welfare system. I believe that tax breaks for insurance companies predicated on lowering premiums for consumers, a ban on denial of insurance based on preexisting conditions, tort and malpractice reform to reduce the cost of malpractice insurance to doctors and hospitals, the ability to purchase health insurance plans across state lines, and requiring employers to give employees optional health insurance--with an included tax credit--are the best ways to achieve universal, affordable healthcare in America."

Gay marriage
"Look, I'm a Catholic, I've read the Bible, and the Bible says that marriage is between a man and a woman. I think civil unions are acceptable, legally. But I think marriage isn't just a legal issue."

Abortion
"Another issue where you have to make a decision between your morals and the law. Morally, I think abortion is reprehensible. But the law is the law, and I know that if abortion is banned outright that women will still get abortions from back-alley scumbags. I think partial-birth abortions and late-term abortions should be banned unless medically necessary, and that we can establish a 'pain threshold', past which no abortions can be performed except for cases of rape, incest, or medical need."

Local Issues
"Hawai'i has the most beautiful environment in the world. The absolutely most beautiful. We need to balance preservation of the environment with feeding and housing our people. I support building 'up' as opposed to 'out'. I support incentivizing companies who use our land to revitalize it, using tax breaks and credits."

"The Jones Act is a crime against the people of Hawai'i and it's negative effect on our economy is evident everywhere. If the law was repealed, the cost of living in this state would drop instantly."

"We don't need to build more prisons in Hawai'i, we don't need to expand the ones in use. My prisoner removal program removes these violent elements from our islands and ships them to larger prisons in California and Oregon, where they already have facilities to handle them."

"The amount of power vested in the state government is insane. We need to begin decentralizing more, putting more power in the hands of counties and municipalities."

The Economy
"The Hawai'ian economy is a humming engine. Through targeted tax cuts and credits, we've incentivized companies to expand their operations in Hawai'i and new companies to grow. I believe the government should encourage competition in the economy, by preventing the rise of monopolies and giving smaller businesses tax credits and cuts. Leaving the Cush tax cuts in place and expanding them for the middle class is important."

Education
"Local control of education is a high priority. We should have national and statewide standards, but ultimately, a great deal of control over particulars should be invested in communities and counties. Every child deserves a strong school to attend, every parent deserves an active role in their child's education, every teacher deserves a living wage. I believe setting a higher minimum wage for teachers and offering teachers tax credits and student loan benefits would massively benefit our education system. Additionally, removing or reforming the tenure system would make it easier to remove or retrain underperforming teachers, rather than having to leave them in place due yo their seniority."

Presidential Votes and Endorsements
- 1980: Reagan
- 1984: Reagan
- 1988: Cush
- 1992: Cush
- 1996: Wrote in Pierce in the primary and the general.
- 2000: Endorsed and voted [not-McCain] in the primary, Cush in the general
- 2004: Wrote in Pierce in the primary, Cush in the general
Last edited by Lavan Tiri on Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:55 pm, edited 9 times in total.
My pronouns are they/them

Join Home of the Brave!
Big Jim P wrote:I like the way you think.

Constaniana wrote:Ah, so you were dropped on your head. This explains a lot.

Zarkenis Ultima wrote:Snarky bastard.

The Grey Wolf wrote:You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

Renewed Imperial Germany wrote:I'm not sure whether to laugh because thIs is the best satire I've ever seen or be very very afraid because someone actually thinks all this so.... have a cookie?

John Holland wrote: John Holland
your mom

New Luciannova
Chargé d'Affaires

Capitalist Paradise

My RP

Postby New Luciannova » Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:35 pm

I responded to the critiques of Sen. Amadeus Putnam (R-NH). I just need to know what I need to do--if anything--to get him approved. Should I just repost with the changes or am I good to go?

Yaruqo
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Yaruqo » Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:47 pm

New Luciannova wrote:I responded to the critiques of Sen. Amadeus Putnam (R-NH). I just need to know what I need to do--if anything--to get him approved. Should I just repost with the changes or am I good to go?

Either repost with changes, or edit the post and let us know when it is completed.

Слава Україні!
Glory to Ukraine!

New Luciannova
Chargé d'Affaires

Capitalist Paradise

Postby New Luciannova » Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:00 pm

Yaruqo wrote:
New Luciannova wrote:I responded to the critiques of Sen. Amadeus Putnam (R-NH). I just need to know what I need to do--if anything--to get him approved. Should I just repost with the changes or am I good to go?

Either repost with changes, or edit the post and let us know when it is completed.

Thanks, the changes requests have been made.

Goddess Taytay
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 19, 2021
Ex-Nation

Application

Postby Goddess Taytay » Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:53 am

NS Nation Name: Goddess Taytay
Character Name: Allison Schnell
Character Gender: Female
Character Age: 32 Years
Character Height: 5'11"
Character Weight: 123.5 lbs (56 kg)
Character Position/Role/Job: Congresswoman from Tennessee's 5th Congressional District
Character Country/State of Birth: Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
Character State of Residence: Tennessee
Character Party Affiliation: Democratic Party
Faceclaim: Taylor Swift
Main Strengths:
Natural Charisma: Rep. Allison Schnell has been considered as one of the most talented people persons in recent memory. Her personality is considered charming and magnetic.
Physical Beauty: Schnell, rare for a politician, is widely considered one of the most attractive women in the public eye today.
Compassion and Empathy: Despite her political enthusiasm and tendency to invite some degree of controversy, she's known to be kind and respectful to everyone and has a compassionate personality that few can contradict.
Vast Personal Wealth: Schnell is independently wealthy and is worth tens of millions of dollars.
Already a Household Name: Schnell was famous before running for office, she is widely renowned in all five hundred and thirty five districts.

Main Weaknesses:
Lack of Relevant Experience: Schnell's past occupation is that of a singer and musician, while this can help her speak more clearly and make her voice more pleasant, it does not lend itself well to training her for the debates that arise.
Lack of Education: Schnell has never completed a Batchelor's Degree, while intelligent in her own right, she lacks the inherent book smarts of most of her opposition, many of whom sport master's degrees or law degrees.

Schnell is an American singer, composer, musician, actress, model, and politician. She was elected to Tennessee's 5th District in 2006. She was born in Pennsylvania, but relocated to Nashville during adolescence to pursue her dreams of being a country singer, songwriter, and musician. During this time she avoided political discussions, and was known as kind and caring and devoted to her family and friends.
Schnell's first album was self-published but became an immediate minor success and garnered her public attention. Her second album was promptly signed and her subsequent albums were a best seller. She won awards for the Grammy's and music video awards as well. She continued to amass devoted fans and was one of the most popular and adored young performers in the world.
Her stardom grew as she continued to produce her own music, which mostly dealt with everyday topics that her fans could relate to. She avoided excessive drinking and recreational drug use and went out of her way to show appreciation to fans regularly, sending them gifts and paying them visits even. She expanded her singing to acting, playing minor supporting roles in several films.
Ultimately, she could not remain quiet and opened up about her political views in 2005 and is excited to represent Tennessee in the United States House of Representatives. While many conservatives are disappointed she is not on their side, her likability has helped her avoid making too many enemies. She's noted that she considers herself a feminist, is pro-choice, supports gun control measures, same sex marriage, and opposition to the war. Schnell has supported bills that would limit the rights of people to discriminate on basis of race, gender, or sexual orientation. She also has supported social services for families in need and deviates from her more liberal principles by supporting the rights of home schoolers, vouchers, and charter schools, as she was home schooled in order to focus on her music. Tanya Schnell, despite less education has learned to speak fluent Japanese and has stated she would like to attend a public university and would study history. Schnell also has stated that she is a Christian, which she states is about accepting people as our siblings in Christ, no matter who they might be.
Schnell has noted that she is in a relationship with an English actor right now.

Other Info:
It is rumored she is considering a run for US Senate in 2008.

Despite disavowing them recently, Schnell is popular among white supremacists who consider her an Aryan ideal. She has faced criticism for not disavowing this fan base when they first surfaced, only disavowing them shortly before running for office.
I have read and accepted the rules of the roleplay: (Goddess Taytay)

New Provenance
Diplomat

Democratic Socialists

Postby New Provenance » Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:18 am

Character Name: Francis "Frank" Taylor
Character Age: 57 years
Character Height: 5"9
Character Weight: 189.7 lbs
Character Position/Role/Job: , Deputy Campaign Manager for not-Cal Dooley (1990-1990), Campaign Manager for not-Leon Panetta (1992-1993), Professor on Political Science at Santa Clara University (1993-1996), Representative for California's 17th Congressional District (1996-)
Character Country/State of Birth: Santa Clara, California, United States of America
Character State of Residence: California
Character Party Affiliation: Democratic Party
Faceclaim: Ralph Northam

Main Strengths:

Voice of Persuasion - Taylor was a natural-born speaker, as his mother described him. He speaks with persuasiveness and natural charisma and talent, harnessed during his years in high school as a successful class president. He carried this talent into his tenure on the campaigns of not-Dooley and not-Panetta in the early 1990s, and later to his job as a California congressman.
The Taylor Name - His grandfather, Peter Taylor, previously served as a junior senator for California, and his great-grandfather on his mother's side served as a Republican representative for California's 16th Congressional District, giving his name recognition of some form on the political scene.
A Deep Well of Green - Thanks to a sizable inheritance from the death of his businessman father coupled with the general wealth of the Taylor family, Taylor is able to run campaigns with more frequency and strength thanks to his larger-than-usual pool of funding, at times helping him push forward in Washington.
Main Weaknesses:
Member of the Elite - Frank is usually regarded as a high-class wealthy Californian and is at times accused by opponents of being too out-of-touch of the common American, damaging his public reputation and image.
For Progress or for Socialism? - Taylor's unusually socially and fiscally progressive stances on various policy issues has led to some calling him a fighter for socialism rather than a fighter for progress, especially after he once said during a 2002 interview that 'capitalism isn't all good' and that 'our current economic system no longer benefits the workers and the people'.
Family or Country First? - Taylor is a very strong family man, with a conviction that he needed to be with his wife and children as much as possible. While many have seen this as a great positive, it has resulted in him lagging behind on work and emails and the like.

Francis Jackson "Frank" Taylor was born on 3 July 1951 to Roger Taylor and Moira Jackson, a wealthy Santa Clara couple who rose from the middle-class to the higher echelons of California society thanks to Mr. Taylor's successful financial business and Mrs. Taylor's knack at keeping tabs on expenses and earnings. Living a privileged life from the very start, Frank studied at prestigious elementary and high schools in Santa Clara before going off to study at UC Berkeley in Berkeley, California, graduating in 1973 with a degree in political science.

His education proved vital in deciding in future, for in his high school years he harnessed his seemingly natural ability to speak with charisma and wonderful talent when he successfully secured multiple terms as class president. He was a highly respected member of the high school and later his college debate club.

Although his degree didn't match it Frank went to work for his father's insurance company first as an advisor to his father than later as an in-house law expert for the firm. In 1979 he married Marilyn Baker, a Santa Clara banker and financier he met through work. Their first child, Sarah, was born in 1984 and their second child, Marcus, was born in 1991. Their third, Lily, was born in 1993.

In 1990, Taylor departed his father's insurance firm to join not-Cal Dooley's Democratic run for California 17th Congressional district seat in the House of Representatives as deputy campaign manager. When Dooley successfully won the election, Taylor took his first steps into the American political scene. He would return to his father's firm until the 1992 elections, when he would serve as not-Leon Panetta's campaign manager in 1992 and 1993. He used his interest and passion in politics as well as his expertise in managing finances - a skill secured from his time at his father's firm - to support and eventually secure not-Panetta's victory.

After spurring onwards in politics, Taylor accepted a position as a professor of political science back home at Santa Clara University to help his wife take care of their newborn child, Lily Taylor. He held this position and taught political science at SCU until 1995, when with the support of his dying father and his family, made the decision to run for Congress.

In the 1996 elections, Francis Taylor ran for and successfully won the 17th Congressional District of California, defeating Democratic incumbent not-Sam Farr with 51.78% to 48.22%. He ran on a platform of pushing aggressively for progress and 'getting Congress' gears turning again', as well as supporting the rise of dot-com companies which he believed would 'go big' in the next two decades.

His first few terms, following re-election in 1998, 2000, 2002 and 2004, where characterized mainly by him voting alongside other socially and fiscally progressive Democrats, though at times he toed progressives' line and voted more conservatively, particularly after the September 11 attacks when he voted in favor of the PATRIOT Act and other legislation proposed by the Republicans in the wake of the most disastrous attack on America in recent history. In 2004, he became the Ranking Member of the House Committee on Science, Space and Technology.

Other Info: He is rumored to be considering a run for a Senate seat, possibly in 2010.

I have read and accepted the rules of the roleplay: New Provenance

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse