NATION

PASSWORD

GCN Global Senate (GCN GS Members Only)

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]
Southeast Marajarbia
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 21, 2021
Moralistic Democracy

GCN Global Senate (GCN GS Members Only)

Postby Southeast Marajarbia » Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:08 am

IC:The Global Senate is the third and final body of the Global Confederation of Nations, and the only democratically elected body. The Global Senate is responsible for declarations of war, the integration of new alliances, and the leadership of the Global Confederation of Nations. The elected leadership have tons of official duties, including improving the GCN by focusing on internal issues, and the continued pursuit of world peace. A list of Global Senate members can be found here:

Global Senate members:

Southeast Marajarbia (Co-founder)
Meretica (Co-Founder, Founder of RA, WTA, and UF)
South Olpen (Democratic Communist State and Co-Founder)
Islamic Holy Sites (Co-Founder of IDSF, UDAF, and UCA)
Aursi
Grande Germania

OOC: Sign ups can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=514297
Last edited by Southeast Marajarbia on Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Just a regular old II Superpower nation, and large scale trading empire that likes to have fun! You (the reader) can find me all over II nowadays, so I suggest having a chat.

Some NS stats are not canon. Nation represents some (not all) of my RL views

Join I&II (An NS news thread open to everybody and anybody) here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=525784

Southeast Marajarbia
Post Marshal

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Southeast Marajarbia » Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:45 am

George Collins: “Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen. My name is George Collins. I will be representing Marajarbian interests within the Global Senate for the remainder of my term, and will also be assisting the GCN in achieving and enforcing a lasting world peace. For our first order of business, the Anti-Communist International seems to finally be reforming, and is finally changing its fascist ways in pursuit of a democratic option. This is great news, meaning it would be easy to secure peace with them in this “Cold War” delusion of theirs. This also means being able to further improve the world and GCN’s influence will be much more easier. What do all of you think?”
Just a regular old II Superpower nation, and large scale trading empire that likes to have fun! You (the reader) can find me all over II nowadays, so I suggest having a chat.

Join I&II (An NS news thread open to everybody and anybody) here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=525784

Islamic Holy Sites
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 20, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Islamic Holy Sites » Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:27 pm

“I need more information on the matter. What are the facts? What is happening exactly, in which nations and how?”
#FreeNSGRojava!
FREEDOM, DEMOCRACY, ISLAM
FREE PALESTINE
STAND WITH THE UKRAINIAN PEOPLE
Call me Muqaddasia.
Proud member of the GCN. Host nation of SETZA. Founder/Co-founder of the (now defunct) IDSF Founder/Co-founder and first in command of the (now defunct) UCA. Founder of the (now defunct) ICRD.
BREAKING NEWS: Galapagos war 4 might be coming | “Aursi among best Muqaddasi allies,”, says government official | Muqaddasi weapon industry expanding WIP

Southeast Marajarbia
Post Marshal

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Southeast Marajarbia » Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:41 pm

Islamic Holy Sites wrote:“I need more information on the matter. What are the facts? What is happening exactly, in which nations and how?”

George Collins: “The facts are that the Anti-Communist International has had terrible leadership in the form of its founders. One of it’s very founders admitted to our World Parliament colleagues the other day that the ACI is against democracy. Since there are democratic reforms that ACI is putting in place, I believe now would be the time to debate making peace. We could organize diplomatic negotiations and attempt to get a better deal, or make both sides get what they want through negotiating.”

Trenaka
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 18, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Trenaka » Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:51 pm

"I would prefer the second option. There is no way the ACI will accept a worse deal for them. I propose a normalizing of tensions, where we simply coexist, not being at each other's throats. A kind of detente."
The Kingdom of Trenaka
Königreich Trenaka

A unitary constitutional monarchy in Central Europe.
Anthem
Trenakan National News: Trenaka withdraws from the GENA, joins the IFC -:- King Frederick II dissolves Parliament, calls new election on Chancellor Friedel’s request.

Bisexual atheist and social democrat.

Aursi
Minister

Founded: Nov 18, 2021
Corporate Police State

Postby Aursi » Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:58 pm

Hi, I am a member of GCN. So am I able to become a GS Member? Or is it a founder-only or something like that?
Founder and Co-Founder of
ATO UCN SMOL
UADC GENA FA
GADN PESTO ULIBOR
IAD OAMC SUSS
Founded: 19.11.1975
Capital: Aurtumn
Chancellor: Fedor Sorokin
Population: 75 Million
GDP: 6@ Trillion Aursifens
Kingdom of Aursi
Freedom, Democracy, Liberty
Current Year: 2035

_
_
PortalOverviewNewsMilitaryMapsEmbassyStore

Trenaka
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Trenaka » Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:23 pm

OOC: The members of the Global Senate were decided by election in the World Parliament.
The Kingdom of Trenaka
Königreich Trenaka

Anthem
Trenakan National News: Trenaka withdraws from the GENA, joins the IFC -:- King Frederick II dissolves Parliament, calls new election on Chancellor Friedel’s request.

Islamic Holy Sites
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Islamic Holy Sites » Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:14 am

Trenaka wrote:"I would prefer the second option. There is no way the ACI will accept a worse deal for them. I propose a normalizing of tensions, where we simply coexist, not being at each other's throats. A kind of detente."

“Agreed. We do not want a war. Also, we kind of already have the Williams Empire at our throats right now.”
#FreeNSGRojava!
FREE PALESTINE
Call me Muqaddasia.
Proud member of the GCN. Host nation of SETZA. Founder/Co-founder of the (now defunct) IDSF Founder/Co-founder and first in command of the (now defunct) UCA. Founder of the (now defunct) ICRD.
BREAKING NEWS: Galapagos war 4 might be coming | “Aursi among best Muqaddasi allies,”, says government official | Muqaddasi weapon industry expanding WIP

Southeast Marajarbia
Post Marshal

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Southeast Marajarbia » Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:34 am

Aursi wrote:Hi, I am a member of GCN. So am I able to become a GS Member? Or is it a founder-only or something like that?

OOC: You are only allowed to post in the Legislative Assembly and World Parliament threads until the next election. Please, do not post here again, a list of those who can post here as GS members can be found in OP.

Southeast Marajarbia
Post Marshal

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Southeast Marajarbia » Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:16 am

Trenaka wrote:"I would prefer the second option. There is no way the ACI will accept a worse deal for them. I propose a normalizing of tensions, where we simply coexist, not being at each other's throats. A kind of detente."

George Collins: “While that sounds like a good idea, the fact that they are actively trying to destroy this alliance in order to spread their fascist ideals is concerning. I believe we should push for both sides to get what they want, but we need some harsher terms to prevent or contain the spread of fascism throughout the world.”

South Olpen
Senator

Founded: Jan 23, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby South Olpen » Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:13 pm

"Hello, I'm Anthony Zonks. I, while not being the specifically elected Senator, will dutifully continue Judge Zballs promises. I understand that we are discussing ACI relations, but with the support of my colleagues, I would like to derail this conversation to instead discuss the legality of a bill I wish to have Zballs present. I was considering that we could have a system of temporary leaders with dictatorial powers. The leader, chosen by the Senate, will, in emergency situations, serve as Princep for two months (two weeks). They would be given the power to eject member states, to call Senate elections, and to enact emergency legislation."
The Scezonian Telegram Dep. of Defense Announces Anti-Ballistic Missile Research | Election 2028; Opinions of Candidates | War Between Galapagos and Aursi... Again

Male (he/him), American, liberal, represents a slightly exaggerated version of my views, we want mod transparency, greatest wishes to Greatest States of America.

The Blaatschapen wrote:They could serve as a distraction.

Of course, in modern combat, that's what the French are for.

American Legionaries wrote:Baseball fans are liars, bitching about politics is the real American pass time.

Trenaka
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Trenaka » Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:25 pm

"We shouldn't give emergency powers without the consent of either the Assembly or Parliament. I should actually get my colleague in the Assembly to draw up some legislation on that."
The Kingdom of Trenaka
Königreich Trenaka

Anthem

South Olpen
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby South Olpen » Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:28 pm

Trenaka wrote:"We shouldn't give emergency powers without the consent of either the Assembly or Parliament. I should actually get my colleague in the Assembly to draw up some legislation on that."

"Ordinarily, I'm inclined to agree. However, in a situation we must install a Princep, I daresay we haven't the time. As well, the election will not be viable in the chaos of tens of nations vying. It is my opinion, that, should we give the Assembly and/or parliament a choice, the position will either be ineffective or serve as a regular president, which while I'm not implicitly opposed to, is not what we need.
The Scezonian Telegram Dep. of Defense Announces Anti-Ballistic Missile Research | Election 2028; Opinions of Candidates | War Between Galapagos and Aursi... Again

Male (he/him), American, liberal, represents a slightly exaggerated version of my views, we want mod transparency, greatest wishes to Greatest States of America.

American Legionaries wrote:Baseball fans are liars, bitching about politics is the real American pass time.

Trenaka
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Trenaka » Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:30 pm

"I suppose you make a good point, and the period of emergency powers isnt too long. Could we add a part that says that the Senate may revoke those powers at any time, and that any emergency legislation must be approved by the legislature after the emergency period ends for the legislation to continue to be in effect?"
Last edited by Trenaka on Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Kingdom of Trenaka
Königreich Trenaka

Anthem

Southeast Marajarbia
Post Marshal

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Southeast Marajarbia » Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:31 pm

South Olpen wrote:
Trenaka wrote:"We shouldn't give emergency powers without the consent of either the Assembly or Parliament. I should actually get my colleague in the Assembly to draw up some legislation on that."

"Ordinarily, I'm inclined to agree. However, in a situation we must install a Princep, I daresay we haven't the time. As well, the election will not be viable in the chaos of tens of nations vying. It is my opinion, that, should we give the Assembly and/or parliament a choice, the position will either be ineffective or serve as a regular president, which while I'm not implicitly opposed to, is not what we need.

George Collins: “While that would be good, my Government believes that the Senate itself should not have a President leading over the alliance, because the Senate would be the official leader. What you are currently proposing kind of goes against the GCN constitution a little too much.”

South Olpen
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby South Olpen » Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:32 pm

Trenaka wrote:"I suppose you make a good point, and the period of emergency powers isn't too long. Could we add a part that says that the Senate may revoke those powers at any time?"

"That seems reasonable, yes I suppose. Also have him make it illegal for the emergency legislation he enacts relate to his own personal powers, or the makeup of the alliance."

Trenaka
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Trenaka » Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:33 pm

Southeast Marajarbia wrote:
South Olpen wrote:"Ordinarily, I'm inclined to agree. However, in a situation we must install a Princep, I daresay we haven't the time. As well, the election will not be viable in the chaos of tens of nations vying. It is my opinion, that, should we give the Assembly and/or parliament a choice, the position will either be ineffective or serve as a regular president, which while I'm not implicitly opposed to, is not what we need.

George Collins: “While that would be good, my Government believes that the Senate itself should not have a President leading over the alliance, because the Senate would be the official leader. What you are currently proposing kind of goes against the GCN constitution a little too much.”

"That is why I recommended that the Senate be able to revoke those powers and required that legislation be approved afterwards. With those restrictions, it may not be too much to ask."
Last edited by Trenaka on Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Kingdom of Trenaka
Königreich Trenaka

Anthem

South Olpen
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby South Olpen » Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:34 pm

South Olpen wrote:"Ordinarily, I'm inclined to agree. However, in a situation we must install a Princep, I daresay we haven't the time. As well, the election will not be viable in the chaos of tens of nations vying. It is my opinion, that, should we give the Assembly and/or parliament a choice, the position will either be ineffective or serve as a regular president, which while I'm not implicitly opposed to, is not what we need.

"Well, if it goes against the constitution I'm inclined to propose it as an amendment. And still, I do not express interest for the Princep to be a President, but it does seem like eventually there will be an event where there needs to be a commander, and where time is of the essence."

Trenaka
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Trenaka » Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:37 pm

"If such an amendment were made with our restrictions included, it would have Trenakan support."
The Kingdom of Trenaka
Königreich Trenaka

Anthem

Southeast Marajarbia
Post Marshal

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Southeast Marajarbia » Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:21 pm

South Olpen wrote:

"Well, if it goes against the constitution I'm inclined to propose it as an amendment. And still, I do not express interest for the Princep to be a President, but it does seem like eventually there will be an event where there needs to be a commander, and where time is of the essence."

George Collins: “While that is a good idea, the members of this very Global Senate should be the official leaders, and should hold the aforementioned powers. That way, democracy can decide our fate.”

South Olpen
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby South Olpen » Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:38 pm

South Olpen wrote:"Well, if it goes against the constitution I'm inclined to propose it as an amendment. And still, I do not express interest for the Princep to be a President, but it does seem like eventually there will be an event where there needs to be a commander, and where time is of the essence."

George Collins: “While that is a good idea, the members of this very Global Senate should be the official leaders, and should hold the aforementioned powers. That way, democracy can decide our fate.”

"I am all for democracy, but when there's a situation that can not wait for deliberation. For example, the UF cannot wait for the debate on the appropriate military action if, for example, one of us were violently attacked. We need a single person to command national armies to liberate our territory. If I may, I will begin drafting the new amendment."

South Olpen
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby South Olpen » Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:06 pm

I have had word that an aide drafted the article quickly. This is not final, but it is a baseline for the position. As for the concerns of Mr. Collins, I would like to inform you that this idea has had precedent in history. The US President, for example, has the ability to deploy troops for 2-3 months, and he can also draft emergency legislation by Executive Orders. Not to mention the Roman dictators of old, which were Consuls chosen by the Senate to restore balance, and given all necessary powers to do so.
(https://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatch/id=1664692)

Southeast Marajarbia
Post Marshal

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Southeast Marajarbia » Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:47 am

George Collins: “I recommend we continue discussing what the best course of action could be regarding the ACI.”

Islamic Holy Sites
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Islamic Holy Sites » Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:48 am

Southeast Marajarbia wrote:George Collins: “I recommend we continue discussing what the best course of action could be regarding the ACI.”

“I think that discussion about our course of action regarding Zarcinovia would be much more productive and necessary.”
#FreeNSGRojava!
FREE PALESTINE
Call me Muqaddasia.

Southeast Marajarbia
Post Marshal

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Southeast Marajarbia » Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:07 am

Islamic Holy Sites wrote:
Southeast Marajarbia wrote:George Collins: “I recommend we continue discussing what the best course of action could be regarding the ACI.”

“I think that discussion about our course of action regarding Zarcinovia would be much more productive and necessary.”

George Collins: “ACI seems to be more of an issue, but I suppose we could talk about ZN. I call for an investigation into ZN.”

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates