NATION

PASSWORD

America the Beautiful: An American Political RP (OOC)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Maugrym
Attaché

Founded: Jul 15, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Maugrym » Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:03 pm

The Sarangtus Lands wrote:
Maugrym wrote:Mattox will sponsor.

Would you also like to cosponsor the Alaska Rule Act?

No. Too many chances to take advantage of poorer families that have federal cases.
Disqualify Trump for a 2nd term for violating federal law. - Sign the Petition! https://sign.moveon.org/petitions/prosecute-trump-for-stealing-documents

Madrinpoor
Minister

Founded: Dec 01, 2020
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Madrinpoor » Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:24 pm

I need a Senate sponsor for this

Seal don't work
[No Exceptions Act]

A BILL
To End Marriages of Minors Under All Circumstances

Sponsor: Frank Loloma [D-AZ-1]
Senate Sponsors:
House Sponsors: John Mattox [D-MA-5]

SECTION 1: SHORT TITLE
    This Act may be cited as the "No Exceptions Act".

SECTION 2: Banning Legal Matrimony
    This bill bans legal matrimony between anyone under the age of 18 years, and a legal minor — be it a minor and a major, or two minors.

SECTION 3: Punishments
  • Any individual arranging said marriage involving a minor is subject to a minimum of 10 years in prison, with possibility of a life sentence. This includes if it can be proven that the individual arranging the marriage was also a minor, and also involved in the wedding.
  • Any individual convicted of breaching this law will have also committed a sex crime, and will be added to the national sex offender registry.

Would anyone be interested?
MT City-state off the coast of Japan: Sumo wrestling, tech startups, Shintō mobs, gay marriage, Bōsōzuku, taiko drums, zokusha cars, neon signs, skyscrapers, Yakuza, internet, Christians, teen biker gangs, international treaties, inter-city canals, rooftop gardens, Samurai, Internet Explorer, canned beer, and a Shogun. 2002 C.E.
Yooper High Kingdom wrote:If I could describe Mandrinpoor with one word, it would be this: Slick.
Nevertopia wrote:Madrinpoor? More like madrinWEALTH be upon your family, may your days be happy and your burdens be light.

SupportUkraine!
Cuban-American He/him

Maugrym
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Maugrym » Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:34 pm

Madrinpoor wrote:I need a Senate sponsor for this

Seal don't work
[No Exceptions Act]

A BILL
To End Marriages of Minors Under All Circumstances

Sponsor: Frank Loloma [D-AZ-1]
Senate Sponsors:
House Sponsors: John Mattox [D-MA-5]

SECTION 1: SHORT TITLE
    This Act may be cited as the "No Exceptions Act".

SECTION 2: Banning Legal Matrimony
    This bill bans legal matrimony between anyone under the age of 18 years, and a legal minor — be it a minor and a major, or two minors.

SECTION 3: Punishments
  • Any individual arranging said marriage involving a minor is subject to a minimum of 10 years in prison, with possibility of a life sentence. This includes if it can be proven that the individual arranging the marriage was also a minor, and also involved in the wedding.
  • Any individual convicted of breaching this law will have also committed a sex crime, and will be added to the national sex offender registry.

Would anyone be interested?

If Winthrop had been accepted, I'd say put her name down, but I've not gotten any responses on her app yet :/
Disqualify Trump for a 2nd term for violating federal law. - Sign the Petition! https://sign.moveon.org/petitions/prosecute-trump-for-stealing-documents

The Sarangtus Lands
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 09, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sarangtus Lands » Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:53 pm

Maugrym wrote:
The Sarangtus Lands wrote:As a general question (as I have something BIG planned), how at risk is Boyd in his House seat in 2022 right now?

Haven't checked the maps, but I'd assume it's not. If he's announcing a new Senate run, I'll have Mattox over there if that's alright. Just have to get to my laptop first.

The Republicans have a plan to make his district 2 points more Republican, although interestingly from the process I think his district may end up more Democratic rather than less, so I'm not moreso worried about redistricting, just a general electoral threat.

Maugrym wrote:
The Sarangtus Lands wrote:Would you also like to cosponsor the Alaska Rule Act?

No. Too many chances to take advantage of poorer families that have federal cases.

Pardon?
This is Emazia's puppet, will be main soon.

Maugrym
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Maugrym » Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:56 pm

Maugrym wrote:Haven't checked the maps, but I'd assume it's not. If he's announcing a new Senate run, I'll have Mattox over there if that's alright. Just have to get to my laptop first.

The Republicans have a plan to make his district 2 points more Republican, although interestingly from the process I think his district may end up more Democratic rather than less, so I'm not moreso worried about redistricting, just a general electoral threat.

Maugrym wrote:No. Too many chances to take advantage of poorer families that have federal cases.

Pardon?

"Hereby makes it mandatory for all losing parties to pay all legal fees - including that of the opposing side - in all federal proceedings."

If a poorer person ends up losing a case, that can be extremely costly on the federal level.

The Sarangtus Lands
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Sarangtus Lands » Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:47 pm

Maugrym wrote:
The Sarangtus Lands wrote:The Republicans have a plan to make his district 2 points more Republican, although interestingly from the process I think his district may end up more Democratic rather than less, so I'm not moreso worried about redistricting, just a general electoral threat.

Pardon?

"Hereby makes it mandatory for all losing parties to pay all legal fees - including that of the opposing side - in all federal proceedings."

If a poorer person ends up losing a case, that can be extremely costly on the federal level.

Well, I mean, sure, but then, they were in the wrong, so that's a price worth paying to prevent intimidatory lawsuits and making it easier for people without means to sue people who have more money.

Maugrym
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Maugrym » Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:01 pm

Maugrym wrote:"Hereby makes it mandatory for all losing parties to pay all legal fees - including that of the opposing side - in all federal proceedings."

Well, I mean, sure, but then, they were in the wrong, so that's a price worth paying to prevent intimidatory lawsuits and making it easier for people without means to sue people who have more money.

But it also prevents people from appealing their decisions to higher courts. Olit assumes that a court will always have the "correct" ruling and would disproportionately affect the poor, minorities, and Democratic voters.

The Sarangtus Lands
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Sarangtus Lands » Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:38 pm

Maugrym wrote:
The Sarangtus Lands wrote:Well, I mean, sure, but then, they were in the wrong, so that's a price worth paying to prevent intimidatory lawsuits and making it easier for people without means to sue people who have more money.

But it also prevents people from appealing their decisions to higher courts. Olit assumes that a court will always have the "correct" ruling and would disproportionately affect the poor, minorities, and Democratic voters.

Not necessarily; people in English Rule systems still do appeal. As for the second part, the only time where that'd really make a difference is when the main punishment of the crime is a fine. If someone is being imprisoned, they are losing on far, far more than legal fees generally constitute; and more than that, if we have any legal experts they can correct me on this, but public prosecutors generally do not get money from losing defendants in those sorts of trials.

Maugrym
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Maugrym » Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:44 pm

Maugrym wrote:But it also prevents people from appealing their decisions to higher courts. Olit assumes that a court will always have the "correct" ruling and would disproportionately affect the poor, minorities, and Democratic voters.

Not necessarily; people in English Rule systems still do appeal. As for the second part, the only time where that'd really make a difference is when the main punishment of the crime is a fine. If someone is being imprisoned, they are losing on far, far more than legal fees generally constitute; and more than that, if we have any legal experts they can correct me on this, but public prosecutors generally do not get money from losing defendants in those sorts of trials.

That still leaves too many potential issues... Mattox would be unable to back it in good conscience.

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:57 am

[b]ANNOUNCEMENT[/b]

So i've had a bit of a low morale on here recently, partly due to so many old stalwarts who have been in this RP for over 5 years fading away. That quite frankly SUCKS. However I have been regrouping and enjoying this RP enough that I have decided to keep it moving.

HOWEVER It will require some restructuring OOC. I am looking for individuals to assist me with running the RP and taking on more major roles. This will require some time to get everything together and organized and I will be starting a new thread.

What this means

I am PAUSING the RP this week while we get OOC stuff sorted out. If you are interested in helping with admin stuff in ANY capacity or participating in the RP PLEASE TG ME. Or join this new discord channel.

https://discord.gg/XyEgNKAj

CURRENT IC DATE: May 1st, 2021
Last edited by Dentali on Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
| LAND OF THE FREE ||AMERICAN||POLITICAL|| RP || IS || UP! | - JOIN NOW!

The Sarangtus Lands
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Sarangtus Lands » Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:29 am

Dentali wrote:[b]ANNOUNCEMENT[/b]

So i've had a bit of a low morale on here recently, partly due to so many old stalwarts who have been in this RP for over 5 years fading away. That quite frankly SUCKS. However I have been regrouping and enjoying this RP enough that I have decided to keep it moving.

HOWEVER It will require some restructuring OOC. I am looking for individuals to assist me with running the RP and taking on more major roles. This will require some time to get everything together and organized and I will be starting a new thread.

What this means

I am PAUSING the RP this week while we get OOC stuff sorted out. If you are interested in helping with admin stuff in ANY capacity or participating in the RP PLEASE TG ME. Or join this new discord channel.

Dent the link doesn't work

Also I was going to go ahead with some ideas for Boyd anyway so I will be ready to contribute to the new RP

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:56 am

Dentali wrote:[b]ANNOUNCEMENT[/b]

What this means

Dent the link doesn't work

Also I was going to go ahead with some ideas for Boyd anyway so I will be ready to contribute to the new RP

a bunch of people are in the discord already idk why its not working for you
| LAND OF THE FREE ||AMERICAN||POLITICAL|| RP || IS || UP! | - JOIN NOW!

The Sarangtus Lands
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Sarangtus Lands » Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:05 am

Dentali wrote:
The Sarangtus Lands wrote:Dent the link doesn't work

a bunch of people are in the discord already idk why its not working for you

Check your Discord DMs

Louisianan
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 21, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Louisianan » Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:54 pm

Is there any room or time for a crazy cajun and a tippy Texan to make their respective returns? Or has that time long but passed?

The Sarangtus Lands
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Sarangtus Lands » Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:55 pm

Louisianan wrote:Is there any room or time for a crazy cajun and a tippy Texan to make their respective returns? Or has that time long but passed?

Yes! #WeWantGaspard

Louisianan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Louisianan » Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:59 pm

Louisianan wrote:Is there any room or time for a crazy cajun and a tippy Texan to make their respective returns? Or has that time long but passed?

Yes! #WeWantGaspard

In the case that I am allowed back, I'd just like to say that while it would be a pleasure, it would have to be on a very limited basis. My schedule isn't as free as it used to be. Could I get somewhat of a rundown of whats been happening, I don't think i can catch up on everything by myself.

Yaruqo
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 02, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Yaruqo » Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:01 pm

Louisianan wrote:
The Sarangtus Lands wrote:Yes! #WeWantGaspard

In the case that I am allowed back, I'd just like to say that while it would be a pleasure, it would have to be on a very limited basis. My schedule isn't as free as it used to be. Could I get somewhat of a rundown of whats been happening, I don't think i can catch up on everything by myself.

Right now, the RP is on hold. We are considering a revival for ATB.

For ATB, basically all you need to know is we passed a recovery bill, the GOP narrowly won the special election in WI for the US Senate, which consequently flipped the Senate, and I think we may be pulling out of Afghanistan.
Join NS P2TM's rebooted US politics RP! - Twilight’s Last Gleaming

Слава Україні!
Glory to Ukraine!

Louisianan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Louisianan » Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:43 am

Yaruqo wrote:
Louisianan wrote:In the case that I am allowed back, I'd just like to say that while it would be a pleasure, it would have to be on a very limited basis. My schedule isn't as free as it used to be. Could I get somewhat of a rundown of whats been happening, I don't think i can catch up on everything by myself.

Right now, the RP is on hold. We are considering a revival for ATB.

For ATB, basically all you need to know is we passed a recovery bill, the GOP narrowly won the special election in WI for the US Senate, which consequently flipped the Senate, and I think we may be pulling out of Afghanistan.

If we revive ATB, I'd like to use the real photos of Hyppie G, not the Dick Cheney look he has rn.

New Luciannova
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 16, 2018
Capitalist Paradise

Application

Postby New Luciannova » Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:17 pm

NS Nation Name: New Luciannova
Character Name: Amadeus Cicero Putnum
Character Gender: Male
Character Age: 44
Character Height: 5'9"
Character Weight: 225 lbs
Character Position/Role/Job: Senator from New Hampshire, Attorney, Author, Podcaster
Appearance: Overweight, usually wears a charcoal grey suit with a flashy and colorful bow tie and suspenders. Often wears horn-rimmed, thick glasses.
Character State of Origin: Massachusetts
Character State of Residence: New Hampshire
Character Party Affiliation: Republicans
Main Strengths: Intellectual, Analytical, Imaginative, Courageous, Open-minded, Fortuitous, Honest, Original
Main Weaknesses: Anxious, Aloof, Absent-Minded, Indecisive, Socially Awkward
Biography: (Minimum 2-3 paragraphs)
Amadeus Putnam was born to a wealthy family, descended from the Boston Brahmins, growing up in Quincy, Massachusetts. His father was a successful businessman running a brokerage firm in Boston. His father is a devout Protestant and his mother, a devout Catholic. Putnam ultimately attended a Catholic high school and was a talented chess player and captain of the debate team. He also helped form a Catholic Bible study after school. He attended Boston College where he studied divinity, philosophy, and economics, hoping initially to become a Catholic priest. He changed his mind and attended law school at the University of Virginia and clerked for a well-known conservative jurist.
After graduating he returned to New Hampshire and briefly worked for a firm in Boston before starting his own local firm, not liking the corporate atmosphere. He did moderately well, and began a podcast discussing law, economics, current events, and philosophy. He ultimately dedicated more time to it. A graduate student at Boston University, named, Abigail "Nabby" Nicola, who debated him when he spoke at her school. He managed to win her over and after speaking somewhat later he managed to win her over. She took his business card and after a correspondence she asked him out. He expected the dinner to be business and politics, but she explained her real intentions. To her disappointment, they had a chaste relationship for two years before marrying, per Putnam's strong religious convictions. Since she has become a clinical psychologist and professor at University of New Hampshire.
Putnam ran for Congress as a Libertarian, but lost, but earned a surprisingly large number of votes, and ultimately earned the Republican Party's nomination for State Senate two years later. While serving in the State Senate and was well-known for his dramatic oratory, strong opinions, conviction, and willingness to work with and listen to anyone.
He retired after eight years and ran for Governor in the Republican Primary, losing to a more entrenched candidate. He planned and was elected to the US Senate. He won that time. He's just been sworn in and is planning to shake up Washington.

Other Info:
If this spot is filled, I can tailor him a bit. I wanted to create a Yankee Republican with a Libertarian hue. I'd love to be on the Judiciary and or Foreign Relations Committee.
He also has a son and two daughters: Thomas Aquinas (8), Dagny (6), Artemis (2).

I have read and accept the rules of the roleplay: New Luciannova
Do Not Remove: 84721

Yaruqo
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 02, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Yaruqo » Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:45 pm

Folks, please move on to the next iteration here: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=515807
Join NS P2TM's rebooted US politics RP! - Twilight’s Last Gleaming

Слава Україні!
Glory to Ukraine!

Previous