NATION

PASSWORD

Reconciliation Ball (Sign up OOC)

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]
Elbenmark
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 24, 2022
Ex-Nation

Reconciliation Ball (Sign up OOC)

Postby Elbenmark » Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:20 am

Prince Albkind II has decided to hold a Ball to celebrate the successful conclusion of negotiations with the Dunkelelbe secessionist minority. This promises to bring and end to years long tension and conflict that has been occasionally violent. The ink on the agreement, which guarantees the minority both protections, but also special privileges, is literally dry, but it is not certain, if it will achieve it's goal.

Count Nidi of Schwarzenstein, leader of the Dunkelelbe will be the guest of honour, but foreign dignities are also invited. Elbenmark is a small country and it doesn't make sense to send a head of state. However, flexibility is allowed, especially if it is an interesting character.

I want this Ball to be more than just people struggling to make small talk, so I will be trying to create a plot. Maybe your character wants to ensure the peace agreement is a success, maybe they want to sabotage the agreement. Maybe the agreement is not important to your country, but you want to check the influence of a rival. Maybe your nation is communist and wants to make contacts with sympathetic elements in Elbenmark. Personal goals are also allowed and they can be combined. For example, a diplomat brings his daughter along to Balls, hoping to help her meet suitors. The key is to let me know what your character wants to do. If you write that your character is looking for someone to talk to, then they probably would just get small talk, if they are looking for someone who might spy for them, then they might notice the discontented official. Note, there may be some fantasy elements.

Rules:
RP politely, that means be considerate of what other players are doing, and don't have your character derail the whole RP.

No godmoding.

Write with proper grammar and formating. Capitalize and put spaces in-between the paragraphs.

No weapons or security in the Ballroom needed or allowed. If you want to assassinate someone ask OOC first.

App:
Character Name:
Profession:
Nation's Government:
Goal in Attending:
Motivation:
RP Sample:

The Goal in Attending refers to why you are going to the Ball, if a diplomat, this is then the official instructions from your government. Motivation is more your personal reason. Maybe your character is a young diplomat looking to make his career, that would be motivation. Again, this could have little to do with the Ball or the agreement. For example, a diplomat is sent to the Ball, but doesn't care about it, rather his marriage is in crisis.
Last edited by Elbenmark on Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Okunaratsuru
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Okunaratsuru » Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:18 am

Good morning,
if permitted, I'd like to throw my hat into this ring - however, there are three issues, well two issues and one question:
    1. You write in the introduction, that there "may be some fantasy elements." What exactly can we imagine by that?
    2. While we are at it, my characters are Migakemujara, animal eared people, who live an imortal life. One can still stab them to death or something, but they don't die of old age. Would that be alright with you?
    3. RP-Sample. Technically, I am a player, who's along for the ride for a while now, but I have a seething hate against people using different accounts for their RP-samples. So, the only thing I can offer you for this account is the presence of my characters on PruCh, one of NS' own social media sites. I hope, that this will be alright with you.

If these things are alright, then here is my app.

Character Name:
Profession:
    Chancellor of Okunaratsuru (Head of Government), Swordwoman (the sword will remain at home), Musician.
Appearance:
Nation's Government:
    Democratic Theocracy. It is complicated to describe (mainly because I haven't really gotten down to writing it out).
Goal in Attending:
    The Realm's main goal in attending this ball is to establish and maintain contact to the outside world, to get to know other people and to see to it, that these relations stay positive. If the many, many centuries of life, which the people of Okunaratsuru enjoy, aids the Svartálfa and the Elbenmark to enjoy peace for a long time to come, all the better.
Motivation:
    Roku has been ordered by the Bikusaishi to attend this ball, so she is going to attend it. She personally has, as a musician, interest in which music is played and how, and if she can maybe score a dance or two while she is at it. Making a few new acquaintances might also be nice for her.
RP Sample:

Elbenmark
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Elbenmark » Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:45 am

Okunaratsuru wrote:Good morning,
if permitted, I'd like to throw my hat into this ring - however, there are three issues, well two issues and one question:
    1. You write in the introduction, that there "may be some fantasy elements." What exactly can we imagine by that?
    2. While we are at it, my characters are Migakemujara, animal eared people, who live an imortal life. One can still stab them to death or something, but they don't die of old age. Would that be alright with you?
    3. RP-Sample. Technically, I am a player, who's along for the ride for a while now, but I have a seething hate against people using different accounts for their RP-samples. So, the only thing I can offer you for this account is the presence of my characters on PruCh, one of NS' own social media sites. I hope, that this will be alright with you.

Character Name:
Profession:
    Chancellor of Okunaratsuru (Head of Government), Swordwoman (the sword will remain at home), Musician.
Appearance:
Nation's Government:
    Democratic Theocracy. It is complicated to describe (mainly because I haven't really gotten down to writing it out).
Goal in Attending:
    The Realm's main goal in attending this ball is to establish and maintain contact to the outside world, to get to know other people and to see to it, that these relations stay positive. If the many, many centuries of life, which the people of Okunaratsuru enjoy, aids the Svartálfa and the Elbenmark to enjoy peace for a long time to come, all the better.
Motivation:
    Roku has been ordered by the Bikusaishi to attend this ball, so she is going to attend it. She personally has, as a musician, interest in which music is played and how, and if she can maybe score a dance or two while she is at it. Making a few new acquaintances might also be nice for her.
RP Sample:

1. I haven't settled on all my lore yet, but my nation is inspired by European folklore and fairytales. The name Elbenmark could be translated as March of the Elves. Since a march denotes a border region, Elbenmark is a border region between the normal world and Fairyland/Alfenheim. However, it is clearly more in the normal world as in Fairyland. The most obvious fantasy elements therefore are the different physiology and long lives. Elbenmarkers also use traditional weapons like swords and spears, however their quality means that they are more effective than is realistic. At the same time they aren't explicitly magic weapons. Weapons won't play a big role if any in this RP anyway. It is more fantasy inspired than actual fantasy.
2. Yes, it fits very well.
3. Not a problem, as a new player, I am not strict when it comes to RP Samples.

Elbenmark
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Elbenmark » Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:20 am

Okunaratsuru wrote:
Character Name:
Profession:
Appearance:
Nation's Government:
Goal in Attending:
Motivation:
RP Sample:

Accepted

Okunaratsuru
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Okunaratsuru » Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:23 am

Elbenmark wrote:
Okunaratsuru wrote:Good morning,

Character Name:
Profession:
Appearance:
Nation's Government:
Goal in Attending:
Motivation:
RP Sample:

1. I haven't settled on all my lore yet, but my nation is inspired by European folklore and fairytales. The name Elbenmark could be translated as March of the Elves. Since a march denotes a border region, Elbenmark is a border region between the normal world and Fairyland/Alfenheim. However, it is clearly more in the normal world as in Fairyland. The most obvious fantasy elements therefore are the different physiology and long lives. Elbenmarkers also use traditional weapons like swords and spears, however their quality means that they are more effective than is realistic. At the same time they aren't explicitly magic weapons. Weapons won't play a big role if any in this RP anyway. It is more fantasy inspired than actual fantasy.
2. Yes, it fits very well.
3. Not a problem, as a new player, I am not strict when it comes to RP Samples.

1. Interesting. Very interesting indeed. I think, that this is the first time, that I read of a nation on the middle ground between one and the other, so it is going to be quite interesting to see, how you do it.
2. Awesome.
3. Wonderful. I am usually a bit stricter, when it comes to RP-samples, but that is mainly due to me being a jaded old man by now... ; )

So, my app is...?
Ninja'd. ; )

Elbenmark wrote:
Okunaratsuru wrote:
Character Name:
Profession:
Appearance:
Nation's Government:
Goal in Attending:
Motivation:
RP Sample:

Accepted

Thank you.

Elbenmark
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Elbenmark » Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:12 am

App:
Character Name: Prince Albkind II
Profession: Monarch
Appearance: Short and pale, his skin is still smooth despite his age. He keeps his hair golden hair combed to the side and his facial features are pointy.
Nation's Government: monarchy with democratic and oligarchic elements.
Goal in Attending: To host the Ball and secure stability.
Motivation: The conflict with the Dunkelelbe has been a major problem during his reign and has distracted his Serene Highness from pursuing the policies he wants to pursue. He wants to put this conflict behind him and move on to other things. Above all he wants to live up to his late father's expectations.
RP Sample:

App:
Character Name: Count Nidi of Schwarzenstein
Profession: politician, activist, regional governor
Appearance: His skin is a pale grey and his hair raven black. The later is kept short.
Nation's Government: same as above
Goal in Attending: As the guest of honour, to show goodwill and to observe the goodwill of the Prince.
Motivation:To increase the influence, material wellbeing and status of his people as well as himself. He often doesn't see a difference between the two.
RP Sample:[

App:
Character Name: Lady Altena
Profession: None, daughter of Count Nidi
Appearance: petite, darkish grey blue skin, long dark blue hair.
Nation's Government: same as above
Goal in Attending: She is accompanying her father, but after the Ball she will be living with Prince as his foster daughter.
Motivation: She doesn't want to be there and would rather be home.
RP Sample:
Last edited by Elbenmark on Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Elbenmark
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Elbenmark » Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:56 am

Update: I have changed the name of the minority to Dunkelelben. Also, I have started a Factbook. I will continue to add to it piecemeal, so if there is a certain area where you are especially curious, let me know.

I will start the RP after one or two more players have joined.

The Ball will take place in January at night and will be White Tie. Your characters can wear what they want, but inappropriate or out of place attire will not be ignored.

Okunaratsuru
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Okunaratsuru » Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:39 am

Elbenmark wrote:Update: I have changed the name of the minority to Dunkelelben. Also, I have started a Factbook. I will continue to add to it piecemeal, so if there is a certain area where you are especially curious, let me know.

The Ball will take place in January at night and will be White Tie. Your characters can wear what they want, but inappropriate or out of place attire will not be ignored.

White Tie is a rather strict dress code, which allows little room for interpretation, so I must ask: Would traditional clothes be acceptable (like a Not!kimono)?

A m e n r i a
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 08, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby A m e n r i a » Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:41 am

What kind of plots do you have in mind so far?
The Empire of Amenria (亚洲帝国)
Sinocentric Asian theocratic absolute monarchy. Set 28 years in the future. On-site factbooks are no longer canon. A 13.14 civilization, according to this index.
Your guide to Amenria, organized for your convenience

Elbenmark
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Elbenmark » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:44 am

Okunaratsuru wrote:
Elbenmark wrote:Update: I have changed the name of the minority to Dunkelelben. Also, I have started a Factbook. I will continue to add to it piecemeal, so if there is a certain area where you are especially curious, let me know.

White Tie is a rather strict dress code, which allows little room for interpretation, so I must ask: Would traditional clothes be acceptable (like a Not!kimono)?

Yes traditional clothes would be acceptable, as long as it is formal and suitable for dancing. In real life Chinese Communist often wear Mao coats to state functions. Also, in real life people wear black tie to state dinners that are nominally white tie. Basically the setting is white tie and ball gowns. If a character showed up in a fancy three piece suit, he would be allowed in, but people would think he was underdressed and act accordingly. What I don't want is a player thinking he made his character well dressed and then be surprised when everyone looks down at him.

I think that wearing something non western would also give more leeway because it is harder for westerners to judge the formality. Women also tend to have more leeway because ball gowns have more variety to begin with.

Elbenmark
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Elbenmark » Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:01 am

A m e n r i a wrote:What kind of plots do you have in mind so far?

Well it really depends on the participants. I want every player to feel like the protagonist, at least to a degree. Plot is about resolving a problem, and with my characters the main problem is the tension and mutual distrust between the two factions. The obvious plot choices then would involve someone trying to sabotage the Ball and provoke a row.

Other plots though could involve potentially ball involving state officials. Perhaps a spy is looking for someone who might be willing to sell secrets (the motives for spying are said to be Money, Ideology, Conscience and Ego, signs of which could be detected at a ball). Of course, balls are also classic scenes of romance, so a romantic, fortune hunter or social climber could all provide interesting options.

A m e n r i a
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 08, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby A m e n r i a » Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:17 am

Elbenmark wrote:
A m e n r i a wrote:What kind of plots do you have in mind so far?

Well it really depends on the participants. I want every player to feel like the protagonist, at least to a degree. Plot is about resolving a problem, and with my characters the main problem is the tension and mutual distrust between the two factions. The obvious plot choices then would involve someone trying to sabotage the Ball and provoke a row.

Other plots though could involve potentially ball involving state officials. Perhaps a spy is looking for someone who might be willing to sell secrets (the motives for spying are said to be Money, Ideology, Conscience and Ego, signs of which could be detected at a ball). Of course, balls are also classic scenes of romance, so a romantic, fortune hunter or social climber could all provide interesting options.

You mentioned swords made of...something that makes it so good it's still widely used. Some people from the National Defence Conglomerate might be interested to find out more. Wdyt?
The Empire of Amenria (亚洲帝国)
Sinocentric Asian theocratic absolute monarchy. Set 28 years in the future. On-site factbooks are no longer canon. A 13.14 civilization, according to this index.
Your guide to Amenria, organized for your convenience

Elbenmark
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Elbenmark » Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:33 am

You mentioned swords made of...something that makes it so good it's still widely used. Some people from the National Defence Conglomerate might be interested to find out more. Wdyt?

To buy weapons is a good reason to send someone to a diplomatic event. The buyer might have difficulty getting to talk to the right people, but if it was too easy, it would be boring.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates