NATION

PASSWORD

Jewish Discussion Thread בְּ

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What Type of Jew are You?

Orthodox
8%
Modern Orthodox
2%
Conservative
15%
Reform
19%
Irreligious
36%
Other
15%
Karaite
3%
Reconstructionist
2%

Total votes : 298

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:42 pm

Fartsniffage wrote:Not so kosher.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-58993696

US surgeons say they have successfully given a pig's kidney to a person in a transplant breakthrough they hope could ultimately solve donor organ shortages.

The recipient was brain-dead, meaning they were already on artificial life support with no prospect of recovering.

The kidney came from a pig that had been genetically modified to stop the organ being recognised by the body as "foreign" and being rejected.

The work is not yet peer-reviewed or published but there are plans for this.

Or maybe it is kosher, I dunno. Do you think the threat to life exception to kosher rules would allow for this for a jew?

I think it would fit with the rule about threat to life, making it kosher.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:49 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Fartsniffage wrote:Not so kosher.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-58993696

US surgeons say they have successfully given a pig's kidney to a person in a transplant breakthrough they hope could ultimately solve donor organ shortages.

The recipient was brain-dead, meaning they were already on artificial life support with no prospect of recovering.

The kidney came from a pig that had been genetically modified to stop the organ being recognised by the body as "foreign" and being rejected.

The work is not yet peer-reviewed or published but there are plans for this.

Or maybe it is kosher, I dunno. Do you think the threat to life exception to kosher rules would allow for this for a jew?

As I mentioned, that rule seems to only really apply when it's a temporary measure, where the intent is to go back to kosher afterwards. A transplant would entail a permanent state away from that. However if a Rabbi was convinced that there was really no other option, i.e. there was little or no prospect of any human organ forthcoming for them, then they might reluctantly agree that not being kosher for the rest of one's days is better than not being alive. Of course I'm sure there would be some Rabbis out there that would take a much harder line, that dying kosher is better than being alive with such a body part.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:52 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:

As I mentioned, that rule seems to only really apply when it's a temporary measure, where the intent is to go back to kosher afterwards. A transplant would entail a permanent state away from that. However if a Rabbi was convinced that there was really no other option, i.e. there was little or no prospect of any human organ forthcoming for them, then they might reluctantly agree that not being kosher for the rest of one's days is better than not being alive. Of course I'm sure there would be some Rabbis out there that would take a much harder line, that dying kosher is better than being alive with such a body part.

Except that rule also applies to things like if you need to eat for medical reasons during Yom Kippur then eat. So long as your medication requires you to eat, then you do so. And for some people that is permanent.
Just A Little though

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:55 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:As I mentioned, that rule seems to only really apply when it's a temporary measure, where the intent is to go back to kosher afterwards. A transplant would entail a permanent state away from that. However if a Rabbi was convinced that there was really no other option, i.e. there was little or no prospect of any human organ forthcoming for them, then they might reluctantly agree that not being kosher for the rest of one's days is better than not being alive. Of course I'm sure there would be some Rabbis out there that would take a much harder line, that dying kosher is better than being alive with such a body part.

Except that rule also applies to things like if you need to eat for medical reasons during Yom Kippur then eat. So long as your medication requires you to eat, then you do so. And for some people that is permanent.

Yes but again they do go back to it, it is still a temporary measure. Having an "unclean" organ in one's body long-term and without interruption is a different kettle of fish from breaking the norm for a day during Yom Kippur.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:57 pm

Neutraligon wrote:Except that rule also applies to things like if you need to eat for medical reasons during Yom Kippur then eat. So long as your medication requires you to eat, then you do so. And for some people that is permanent.

Yes but again they do go back to it, it is still a temporary measure. Having an "unclean" organ in one's body long-term and without interruption is a different kettle of fish from breaking the norm for a day during Yom Kippur.

What do you mean they go back to eat? So long as they take the medicine, and some people need to take that medicine for their entire life, they eat. This is a permanent thing. Breaking the law on Yom Kippur is no different from any other dietary restriction. If the only way you can survive is by eating pig meat, then it does not matter how long that is, it could be for your entire life. You eat the pig meat.
Last edited by Neutraligon on Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just A Little though

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:00 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Yes but again they do go back to it, it is still a temporary measure. Having an "unclean" organ in one's body long-term and without interruption is a different kettle of fish from breaking the norm for a day during Yom Kippur.

What do you mean they go back to eat?

No, by "it" I meant they go back to being kosher after Yom Kippur, i.e. back to adherence to the rules. It is a temporary relaxing of the rule during a day every so often. Having an "unclean" organ would be a permanent state of affairs rather than a temporary relaxation of the rules.

Wave on, wave on

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:02 pm

Neutraligon wrote:What do you mean they go back to eat?

No, by "it" I meant they go back to being kosher after Yom Kippur, i.e. back to adherence to the rules. It is a temporary relaxing of the rule during a day every so often. Having an "unclean" organ would be a permanent state of affairs rather than a temporary relaxation of the rules.

Except that it is not a temporary state of affairs. The rule may only exist for Yom Kippur, but the person will permanently be breaking it.
Just A Little though

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:05 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:No, by "it" I meant they go back to being kosher after Yom Kippur, i.e. back to adherence to the rules. It is a temporary relaxing of the rule during a day every so often. Having an "unclean" organ would be a permanent state of affairs rather than a temporary relaxation of the rules.

Except that it is not a temporary state of affairs. The rule may only exist for Yom Kippur, but the person will permanently be breaking it.

It is temporary in the sense that it only happens once every so often in a cyclical manner. By permanency in this respect I mean constantly 24/7, for the rest of one's life, without interruption.

Neutraligon wrote:If the only way you can survive is by eating pig meat, then it does not matter how long that is, it could be for your entire life. You eat the pig meat.

There's never been a test of what a Rabbi would say to that, to my knowledge.

Wave on, wave on

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:12 pm

Neutraligon wrote:Except that it is not a temporary state of affairs. The rule may only exist for Yom Kippur, but the person will permanently be breaking it.

It is temporary in the sense that it only happens once every so often in a cyclical manner. By permanency in this respect I mean constantly 24/7, for the rest of one's life, without interruption.

Neutraligon wrote:If the only way you can survive is by eating pig meat, then it does not matter how long that is, it could be for your entire life. You eat the pig meat.

The law is from the following verse Leviticus 18:5, states simply: "You shall keep My statutes and My laws, which a person shall do and shall live by them. I am the LORD.
If a person is unable to live by following the law then they do not need to follow it.
Just A Little though

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:20 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:It is temporary in the sense that it only happens once every so often in a cyclical manner. By permanency in this respect I mean constantly 24/7, for the rest of one's life, without interruption.

The law is from the following verse Leviticus 18:5, states simply: "You shall keep My statutes and My laws, which a person shall do and shall live by them. I am the LORD.
If a person is unable to live by following the law then they do not need to follow it.

I mean...depending on how you interpret that then some might say if you can't live by the law then not living is better. Of course it's an extreme position, but some might say such a thing. I think such an interpretation would be wrong however and I am in no way endorsing it.

Wave on, wave on

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:30 pm

Neutraligon wrote:

I mean...depending on how you interpret that then some might say if you can't live by the law then not living is better. Of course it's an extreme position, but some might say such a thing. I think such an interpretation would be wrong however and I am in no way endorsing it.

The talmud explicitly rejects that interpretation
Just A Little though

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:32 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:I mean...depending on how you interpret that then some might say if you can't live by the law then not living is better. Of course it's an extreme position, but some might say such a thing. I think such an interpretation would be wrong however and I am in no way endorsing it.

The talmud explicitly rejects that interpretation

Do you have a quote? Just curious about what it says specifically regarding it.

Wave on, wave on

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:37 pm

Neutraligon wrote:The talmud explicitly rejects that interpretation

Do you have a quote? Just curious about what it says specifically regarding it.

Kinda a big long thing but check out Yoma 85a and b

Rabbi Shimon ben Menasya said: It is stated: “And the children of Israel shall keep Shabbat, to observe Shabbat” (Exodus 31:16). The Torah said: Desecrate one Shabbat on his behalf so he will observe many Shabbatot. Rav Yehuda said that Shmuel said: If I would have been there among those Sages who debated this question, I would have said that my proof is preferable to theirs, as it states: “You shall keep My statutes and My ordinances, which a person shall do and live by them” (Leviticus 18:5), and not that he should die by them. In all circumstances, one must take care not to die as a result of fulfilling the mitzvot.
Last edited by Neutraligon on Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just A Little though

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:40 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Do you have a quote? Just curious about what it says specifically regarding it.

Kinda a big long thing but check out Yoma 85a and b

Rabbi Shimon ben Menasya said: It is stated: “And the children of Israel shall keep Shabbat, to observe Shabbat” (Exodus 31:16). The Torah said: Desecrate one Shabbat on his behalf so he will observe many Shabbatot. Rav Yehuda said that Shmuel said: If I would have been there among those Sages who debated this question, I would have said that my proof is preferable to theirs, as it states: “You shall keep My statutes and My ordinances, which a person shall do and live by them” (Leviticus 18:5), and not that he should die by them. In all circumstances, one must take care not to die as a result of fulfilling the mitzvot.

Thanks.

Wave on, wave on

Menassa
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:08 pm

Kosher vs non Kosher applies to food consumption. It does not apply to using parts of a non-kosher animal. A Jew is allowed to sell pigs, a Jew is not allowed to eat pigs.

Apparently, even if they are impossible pigs.
Remember what Amalek did to you on your journey --- Do not Forget!
Their hollow inheritance.
This is my god and I shall exalt him
"A missionary uses the Bible like a drunk uses a lamppost, not so much for illumination, but for support"
"Imagine of a bunch of Zulu tribesmen told Congress how to read the Constitution, that's how it feels to a Jew when you tell us how to read our bible"
"God said: you must teach, as I taught, without a fee."
"Against your will you are formed, against your will you are born, against your will you live, against your will you die, and against your will you are destined to give a judgement and accounting before the king, king of all kings..."

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:18 pm

Sundiata wrote:What is the most common understanding in Judaism of what God referred to himself as when Moses asked God for his name?

God said to Moses, "Ehyeh asher ehyeh (I will be what I will be)," and He said, "So shall you say to the children of Israel, 'Ehyeh (I will be) has sent me to you.'"
וַיֹּ֤אמֶר אֱלֹהִים֙ אֶל־משֶׁ֔ה אֶֽהְיֶ֖ה אֲשֶׁ֣ר אֶֽהְיֶ֑ה וַיֹּ֗אמֶר כֹּ֤ה תֹאמַר֙ לִבְנֵ֣י יִשְׂרָאֵ֔ל אֶֽהְיֶ֖ה שְׁלָחַ֥נִי אֲלֵיכֶֽם:

Rashi wrote:“Ehyeh asher ehyeh (I will be what I will be)”: “I will be” with them in this predicament “what I will be” with them in their subjugation by other kingdoms.
"A missionary uses the Bible like a drunk uses a lamppost, not so much for illumination, but for support"
"Imagine of a bunch of Zulu tribesmen told Congress how to read the Constitution, that's how it feels to a Jew when you tell us how to read our bible"
"Against your will you are formed, against your will you are born, against your will you live, against your will you die, and against your will you are destined to give a judgement and accounting before the king, king of all kings..."

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:33 am

Menassa wrote:Kosher vs non Kosher applies to food consumption. It does not apply to using parts of a non-kosher animal. A Jew is allowed to sell pigs, a Jew is not allowed to eat pigs.

Chappy chanukah.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:50 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
Menassa wrote:Kosher vs non Kosher applies to food consumption. It does not apply to using parts of a non-kosher animal. A Jew is allowed to sell pigs, a Jew is not allowed to eat pigs.

Chappy chanukah.

Chappy chanukah to you as well my friend. I hope your family is safe and sound as the pandemic (hopefully) winds to a close.

New Visayan Islands
Game Moderator

Founded: Jan 31, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby New Visayan Islands » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:31 pm

Two posts irrelevant to the discussion have been removed as inappropriate. United Han People and The Polish-Czechoslovak Union are strongly advised to read and review the Rules ASAP to ensure a comfortable stay in the forums; threadjacking, trolling, and spam are violations of the same.

New Visayan Islands
Game Moderator
Last edited by New Visayan Islands on Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Expanded ruling.
Let "¡Viva la Libertad!" be a cry of Eternal Defiance to the Jackboot.
My TGs are NOT for Mod Stuff.

For details on the man behind NVI, click here.

Yaak
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 19, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Yaak » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:42 pm

Menassa wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:Chappy chanukah.

Chappy chanukah to you as well my friend. I hope your family is safe and sound as the pandemic (hopefully) winds to a close.

Happy Hanukah!
Taiwan is a country, Tiananmen Square Protests happened, and free Tibet.

Ukraine is not Russia, and it will never be.

Russia and China cutting Ukraine and Taiwan like a cake.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:24 pm

Menassa wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:Chappy chanukah.

Same to you, it is always nice to see you pop in to say shalom
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:42 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
Menassa wrote:Chappy chanukah to you as well my friend. I hope your family is safe and sound as the pandemic (hopefully) winds to a close.

Same to you, it is always nice to see you pop in to say shalom

The pleasure is all mine. After the year we've had it's good to speak with friendly flags again!

Yaak wrote:
Menassa wrote:Chappy chanukah to you as well my friend. I hope your family is safe and sound as the pandemic (hopefully) winds to a close.

Happy Hanukah!

Same to you!

Fahran
Forum Moderator

Founded: Nov 13, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Fahran » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:11 pm

Happy Hanukkah, everyone! I hope everyone has been safe and sound of late.

I'll hopefully get to take some time away from my studies and visit my family to observe the holiday. I must confess it lightens my heart.

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:01 pm

Fahran wrote:Happy Hanukkah, everyone! I hope everyone has been safe and sound of late.

I'll hopefully get to take some time away from my studies and visit my family to observe the holiday. I must confess it lightens my heart.

Chag Sameach!

Fahran
Forum Moderator

Founded: Nov 13, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Fahran » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:58 pm

Menassa wrote:
Fahran wrote:Happy Hanukkah, everyone! I hope everyone has been safe and sound of late.

Chag Sameach!

Chag urim sameach! It's been awhile. I hope you and yours are well.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General