NATION

PASSWORD

Racing Discussion II. It's light's out and away we go!

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Rick Perry
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 24, 2021
Ex-Nation

Racing Discussion II. It's light's out and away we go!

Postby Rick Perry » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:28 pm

Plus talk about auto racing like
IMSA in season
INDYCAR Currently in season
NASCAR Regular season 2/20/22-8/27/22
FORMULA1 In season
DIRT RACING in season
AND MORE
(feel free to talk about whatever Motorsport you wana talk about to)

Hello race fans! Welcome to the Auto racing discussion where we talk racing, whether it sim racing or the actual thing this place is for you.
What is auto racing?
Well auto racing in my humble opinion is probably the most underrated sport out there kind of like Bing browser it's there but people just don't care unfortunately. And can you imagine living life without talking about racing? I mean there's so many different types of racing, unlikely baseball or football (which we don't dislike) there is multiple types, for example Formula one and IndyCar, they both are open wheel race cars the only difference is that Formula 1 is more around the world thing. And then there is NASCAR where they race Toyota Camry's Ford Mustang and Camaro they are stock so they look like what you would see on the street. Then there is IMSA where these race each other and then there are more stock looking car that don't race the above car but race each other. Then there is dirt racing, self explanatory they race in dirt, this could be figure eight racing, off-road courses, Oval dirt racing. A popular type of dirt racing is a demolition derby.

Well I hope I explained that well, I'm not good with words, in the virtual world and the real world.
Last edited by Rick Perry on Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:29 am, edited 99 times in total.

Rick Perry
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Rick Perry » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:29 pm

Well I think its going to be the #5 of Kyle Larson

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:36 pm

Rick Perry wrote:Who will make it? Plus talk more about auto racing and more

You need more than a question and a sentence. How about some info on the contenders, the events, the way the champion is chosen, stuff like that.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Rick Perry
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Rick Perry » Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:23 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Rick Perry wrote:Who will make it? Plus talk more about auto racing and more

You need more than a question and a sentence. How about some info on the contenders, the events, the way the champion is chosen, stuff like that.

Thanks this is my first one

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:39 pm

I've only been following IMSA this year, but since GTLM is a faded category that only includes two factory Corvettes and a single Porsche RSR in most races I haven't been super invested. And the Acura has been running away with DPi.

Penske and Porsche will be putting forth another factory effort in a year or two and my nephew is being groomed by Penske for the racing teams (we have to try and talk him into moving to South Carolina should that happen. Then I'll be super invested again. Porsches killin' it in GTD, though, which is apparently the future as the ACO adopts FIA's GT3 formula.

I don't have an antennae and decided to not splurge on the trackpass for NASCAR as well as IMSA. For complicated reasons I might have to extend my trackpass for flat track motorcycle racing and I think once you have two you might as well get the package. But I don't know that I've watched a NASCAR race in a while. I generally only want to watch when they're doing road courses, but i was curious about the dirt experiment they did. I didn't read a full account but got the impression it didn't really go over well.

Mostly I just hate the whole fakeass "playoff structure" they have with Chase or whatever they call it. Also...how you gonna go to Sears Point and then bypass the carousal?

But if you find it difficult trying to find someone to talk about NASCAR (sans all the 'hot takes' of people talking about 'left turns'), try getting people to talk about endurance sports cars...at least Ford vs Ferrari told some movie goers what the 24 hours of Le Mans was...though I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't catch that Ken Miles had a co-driver.

Anyway, I guess Kyle Larson is the one to beat. I don't have any connection to the current field of drivers.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015

Postby USS Monitor » Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:15 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:Mostly I just hate the whole fakeass "playoff structure" they have with Chase or whatever they call it.

Does anyone actually like that?

IIRC the host of NS Sports NASCAR RPs has had to explain multiple times that we have a Chase because RL NASCAR has a Chase, not because it should have a Chase. It's kinda funny watching people grouse about it.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:26 am

USS Monitor wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:Mostly I just hate the whole fakeass "playoff structure" they have with Chase or whatever they call it.

IIRC the host of NS Sports NASCAR RPs has had to explain multiple times that we have a Chase because RL NASCAR has a Chase, not because it should have a Chase. It's kinda funny watching people grouse about it.

I guess the France family? I haven't met anyone who likes it. But the parts of California I live in aren't really NASCAR country.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Rick Perry
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Rick Perry » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:32 am

USS Monitor wrote:

Me personally not a big fan of the Playoffs. I think NASCAR Should do what IMSA or Formula1 is doing and have a unique points race with out the whole elimination process

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:03 pm

Rick Perry wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:

Me personally not a big fan of the Playoffs. I think NASCAR Should do what IMSA or Formula1 is doing and have a unique points race with out the whole elimination process

They flipped out when Mark Martin won a championship by simply finishing consistently in the top 10 but not racking up a lot of wins combined with the fact that the championships were often decided by the last few races which they were worried depressed viewership as if the people watching the Firecracker 600 were going "oooo, I'm gonna see someone score some championship points" instead of, you know...wanting to see a race.

As you pointed out, every other series has stuck with the points, even though F1 generally has their championship tied up with two to three races to go. With the constantly shifting categories in IMSA championships can sometimes be decided halfway through the season. Yet, the races are still exciting. Don't know why that wasn't good enough for NASCAR. Whatever else they have going on, they have some of the closest racing going. Races can be won by any of a dozen drivers and they often come down to the last lap with cars side by side. Just lean into what you're good at, NASCAR, and quit trying to act like ball sports. You don't have 'playoffs' because everyone is competing on the same field at the same time...dumb...

Preaching to the choir, I know. Sorry.

Rick Perry
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Rick Perry » Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:14 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Rick Perry wrote:Me personally not a big fan of the Playoffs. I think NASCAR Should do what IMSA or Formula1 is doing and have a unique points race with out the whole elimination process

They flipped out when Mark Martin won a championship by simply finishing consistently in the top 10 but not racking up a lot of wins combined with the fact that the championships were often decided by the last few races which they were worried depressed viewership as if the people watching the Firecracker 600 were going "oooo, I'm gonna see someone score some championship points" instead of, you know...wanting to see a race.

As you pointed out, every other series has stuck with the points, even though F1 generally has their championship tied up with two to three races to go. With the constantly shifting categories in IMSA championships can sometimes be decided halfway through the season. Yet, the races are still exciting. Don't know why that wasn't good enough for NASCAR. Whatever else they have going on, they have some of the closest racing going. Races can be won by any of a dozen drivers and they often come down to the last lap with cars side by side. Just lean into what you're good at, NASCAR, and quit trying to act like ball sports. You don't have 'playoffs' because everyone is competing on the same field at the same time...dumb...

This is true. Sometimes its good to have playoffs. And sometimes its bad. And sometimes we don't know who will be the champion and sometimes we k ow exactly. Like this year

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:30 pm

Rick Perry wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:They flipped out when Mark Martin won a championship by simply finishing consistently in the top 10 but not racking up a lot of wins combined with the fact that the championships were often decided by the last few races which they were worried depressed viewership as if the people watching the Firecracker 600 were going "oooo, I'm gonna see someone score some championship points" instead of, you know...wanting to see a race.

This is true. Sometimes its good to have playoffs. And sometimes its bad. And sometimes we don't know who will be the champion and sometimes we k ow exactly. Like this year

As long as Hamilton, Wolff, and Mercedes are together I feel like we know who is going to win the F1 championship before a single flag is dropped. It use to be just 'whoever Adrian Newey designed a car for'.

IMSA has some pretty solid walkaways. During the American Le Mans Series there was a really, really long run of the Audi R8/R10 doing parade laps in LMP and two Corvettes as the only entries in the top GT category. The only thing that was exciting in the series at the time was the lower GT category (where I was a big fan of Flying Lizards). But I still watched. I probably kept up with ALMS better than I have any series.

I guess there was that time with the Penske/Porsche LMP2 entry that threatened to take an overall win. That was pretty exciting until they changed the rules to make sure that didn't happen. That helped give the world the Cayenne as Porsche shift resources to developing the SUV and bailed on their LMP1 project. (which itself kinda became the Carrera GT...but that's all another story.)

The idea of having NASCAR Cup racing reach back to grassroots um...roots was interesting, but like I said, I didn't see their dirt race and no one seems to have thought it worked.

Motor Trend carries Australian Supercar or whatever it's called which is great because their summer is our winter so it's racing in the off season to watch and it's what I wish NASCAR was, more road racing.

Honestly I wish Trans Am as it was from like '68 to '73 or so was still a thing (though the support series for IMSA are kinda like that. There was even a point were one of them, can't remember, had the new Challenger, the new Camaro, and the Mustang all racing like it was 1970 or some shit.) World Challenge needs a better media package. It keeps moving around, I think it's on YouTube of all things now.

Rick Perry
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Rick Perry » Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:17 am

Rick Perry wrote:This is true. Sometimes its good to have playoffs. And sometimes its bad. And sometimes we don't know who will be the champion and sometimes we k ow exactly. Like this year

As long as Hamilton, Wolff, and Mercedes are together I feel like we know who is going to win the F1 championship before a single flag is dropped. It use to be just 'whoever Adrian Newey designed a car for'.

IMSA has some pretty solid walkaways. During the American Le Mans Series there was a really, really long run of the Audi R8/R10 doing parade laps in LMP and two Corvettes as the only entries in the top GT category. The only thing that was exciting in the series at the time was the lower GT category (where I was a big fan of Flying Lizards). But I still watched. I probably kept up with ALMS better than I have any series.

I guess there was that time with the Penske/Porsche LMP2 entry that threatened to take an overall win. That was pretty exciting until they changed the rules to make sure that didn't happen. That helped give the world the Cayenne as Porsche shift resources to developing the SUV and bailed on their LMP1 project. (which itself kinda became the Carrera GT...but that's all another story.)

The idea of having NASCAR Cup racing reach back to grassroots um...roots was interesting, but like I said, I didn't see their dirt race and no one seems to have thought it worked.

Motor Trend carries Australian Supercar or whatever it's called which is great because their summer is our winter so it's racing in the off season to watch and it's what I wish NASCAR was, more road racing.

Honestly I wish Trans Am as it was from like '68 to '73 or so was still a thing (though the support series for IMSA are kinda like that. There was even a point were one of them, can't remember, had the new Challenger, the new Camaro, and the Mustang all racing like it was 1970 or some shit.) World Challenge needs a better media package. It keeps moving around, I think it's on YouTube of all things now.

I do agree with most thing you said, however that Bristol dirt race was the best dirt race I habe seen in a while and I thought it was really good.

Rick Perry
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Auto Racing (DISCUSSION THREAD II) Current discussion NASCAR

Postby Rick Perry » Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:02 pm

Rick Perry wrote:Plus talk about auto racing like
IMSA
INDYCAR
NASCAR
FORMULA1
DIRT RACING
AND MORE
Current discussion NASCAR (feel free to talk about whatever Motorsport you wana talk about to)

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:11 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:As long as Hamilton, Wolff, and Mercedes are together I feel like we know who is going to win the F1 championship before a single flag is dropped. It use to be just 'whoever Adrian Newey designed a car for'.

Which is ironic considering Hamilton and Mercedes gave us probably the last actual example of a championship going down to the wire in F1.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Rick Perry
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Rick Perry » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:22 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:As long as Hamilton, Wolff, and Mercedes are together I feel like we know who is going to win the F1 championship before a single flag is dropped. It use to be just 'whoever Adrian Newey designed a car for'.

Which is ironic considering Hamilton and Mercedes gave us probably the last actual example of a championship going down to the wire in F1.

Exactly

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:14 pm

Vassenor wrote:

After six years of only two teams even being competitive I tuned all the way out. I actually like Hamilton, but even this season…4 winners across 15 races? And thirteen of them between just two drivers? That’s not competitive even if the two go to the wire.

Rick Perry
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Rick Perry » Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:21 pm

I didn't get into F1 That much until this year. The one and only reason was because we all knew who the champion would be

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:35 pm

Rick Perry wrote:I didn't get into F1 That much until this year. The one and only reason was because we all knew who the champion would be

I go in and out with Formula 1. The last three (two?) seasons I just skipped and instead watched the Netflix recap series they do at the end that usually includes all the driver/corporate shuffling that makes a season where only two drivers win interesting. Kind of like watching a oddly written remake of the movie Grand Prix, but with 100% less ballet sections. They don't spend as much time on the sneaky tech stuff which honestly is the most interesting thing about F1, like when someone created a brake pedal that could adjust brake bias by rotating the foot...I love the shit. The world needs more Smokey Yunicks. If you don't know that name, look it up and you're welcome.

Rick Perry
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Rick Perry » Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:33 pm

Rick Perry wrote:I didn't get into F1 That much until this year. The one and only reason was because we all knew who the champion would be

I go in and out with Formula 1. The last three (two?) seasons I just skipped and instead watched the Netflix recap series they do at the end that usually includes all the driver/corporate shuffling that makes a season where only two drivers win interesting. Kind of like watching a oddly written remake of the movie Grand Prix, but with 100% less ballet sections. They don't spend as much time on the sneaky tech stuff which honestly is the most interesting thing about F1, like when someone created a brake pedal that could adjust brake bias by rotating the foot...I love the shit. The world needs more Smokey Yunicks. If you don't know that name, look it up and you're welcome.

*sigh* I miss Smokey Yunicks

Rick Perry
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Rick Perry » Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:24 pm

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:19 pm

Rick Perry wrote:F1 NEWS?

Aw...first the Lotus but not really Lotus thing now this.

Rick Perry
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Rick Perry » Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:13 am

Rick Perry wrote:F1 NEWS?

Aw...first the Lotus but not really Lotus thing now this.

We just need Hass to be better. I feel bad because They never finish any higher the 20 and 19. Unless someone is out of the race. Also anybody hear that Rick Wear Racing will be more 'competitive' next year?

Rick Perry
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Rick Perry » Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:24 am

Outer Sparta
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 26, 2014
Democratic Socialists

Postby Outer Sparta » Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:07 pm

Have you even updated the opening post? Maybe include like what is going on in the auto racing world, give us links for us to look at, and who is leading and who are the contenders (such as Verstappen vs. Lewis Hamilton).
Free Palestine, stop the genocide in Gaza

Rick Perry
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Rick Perry » Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:13 pm

Outer Sparta wrote:Have you even updated the opening post? Maybe include like what is going on in the auto racing world, give us links for us to look at, and who is leading and who are the contenders (such as Verstappen vs. Lewis Hamilton).

Good idea

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General