NATION

PASSWORD

Ideas for General Assembly Proposals

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:29 am

The republic of Jackalopetopia wrote:
Untecna wrote:First, welcome. Please make drafts in the proper place, as this thread is for ideas.
Second, not of international importance.
Third, probably illegal.

1. sorry. where should I post drafts?
2. please clarify what you mean by that.
3. why? like I said, I'm very new to this, so any feedback is greatly appreciated.

1. If you are drafting a proposal then it should have a thread of its own -- one thread, for all versions of the draft, preferably with the first post containing the current version of the text and also (in spoilers) any pervious versions -- in this section of the forum.
2. People disagree about how wide the scope of G.A. legislation should be, the extremes being "everything that a national government could" and "only matters where one nation's actions would directly affect other nations". Your proposal clearly falls towards the more inclusive end of that scale*. (It might be opposed, therefore, not only by nations opposed to 'gun control' but also by some nations that already have similar laws themselves but think that these decisions should be made nationally rather than internationally...)
3. Contradiction of existing G.A. legislation, as Tinhampton said in the post just before this one.

* You might see the terms 'IntFed' and 'NatSov' sometimes used in this forum: they are short for 'International Federalist' and 'National Sovereigntist' respectively, reflecting which end of that line a proposal or a nation is seen as closest to.
Last edited by Bears Armed on Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

The republic of Jackalopetopia
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 04, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby The republic of Jackalopetopia » Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:16 pm

has there been any resolutions about militaries targeting civilians?

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:34 pm

The republic of Jackalopetopia wrote:has there been any resolutions about militaries targeting civilians?

Yes.

(You can search passed resolutions @ viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30 .)
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.

Yaak
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 19, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Yaak » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:57 am

Any resolutions on fishing regulations?
Taiwan is a country, Tiananmen Square Protests happened, and free Tibet.

Ukraine is not Russia, and it will never be.

Russia and China cutting Ukraine and Taiwan like a cake.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:04 am

Yaak wrote:Any resolutions on fishing regulations?

GA#199 "Sustainable Fishing Act."
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Untecna
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 02, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Untecna » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:54 pm

Untecna wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:If the species is endangered then there's already a resolution that covers it.
If it the species isn't endangered, but is hunted, then Res.#267 'Sensible Hunting Act'
2. Requires all member nations to regulate hunting within their borders, according to relevant expert advice, so as to keep the animal stocks involved at sustainable and environmentally suitable levels (except that they need not protect ‘invasive’ species, species parasitic on people or domestic livestock, or species carrying agents likely to cause serious epidemics in people);
... and, as I read it anyway, fragmenting the range would split the former united stock into several smaller stocks (one per fragment, essentially) so that each & every fragment's population of the species would have to be given that protection.
So, you would need to consider only those species that are neither endangered nor hunted

Fair point, but this resolution could also serve as an enhancement or support for the endangered species one, while also covering all animals in general. Hunting does not really contribute to that at all, so I don't see 267 as a barrier.

I would assume legality has been established, so I'll get to work drafting.
Dragon with internet access. I am coming for your data. More for the hoard.
NFL Team: 49rs
California is the best is the worst is kinda okay
I may not be an expert on them, but I feel like I know about way too many obscure video/audio formats.
Issues Author (#1520) | Failed GA Resolution Author

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:54 pm

Untecna wrote:I have some resolution ideas:
-A resolution on the assistance of fragmented animal populations (essentially, when a population of animals is fragmented, it is split by natural and artificial blockers, which can slow or even remove growth of a population, so the target would be to create ways for those animals to access areas of food and mates)

I don't understand why you want to prevent or otherwise artificially stop speciation.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Untecna
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Untecna » Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:56 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Untecna wrote:I have some resolution ideas:
-A resolution on the assistance of fragmented animal populations (essentially, when a population of animals is fragmented, it is split by natural and artificial blockers, which can slow or even remove growth of a population, so the target would be to create ways for those animals to access areas of food and mates)

I don't understand why you want to prevent or otherwise artificially stop speciation.

I don't understand how you misunderstood the point of the idea.
I may not be an expert on them, but I feel like I know about way too many obscure video/audio formats.

New Union of Soviet communist Republics
Political Columnist

Founded: Oct 12, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby New Union of Soviet communist Republics » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:16 pm

create the Warsaw Pact

Untecna
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Untecna » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:17 pm

New Union of Soviet communist Republics wrote:create the Warsaw Pact

Illegal and irrelevant.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:30 pm

New Union of Soviet communist Republics wrote:create the Warsaw Pact

Not something that the G.A. could do. Illegal for 'RL Reference', obviously, in addition to any other problems. Have you actually read the rules?
Last edited by Bears Armed on Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:37 pm

Untecna wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:I don't understand why you want to prevent or otherwise artificially stop speciation.

I don't understand how you misunderstood the point of the idea.

"Scientists think that geographic isolation is a common way for the process of speciation to begin: rivers change course, mountains rise, continents drift, organisms migrate, and what was once a continuous population is divided into two or more smaller populations". https://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibra ... cle/evo_43. The end impact of your proposal, which is currently seems mostly to be reintegrating "fragmented animal populations", would prevent speciation from geographic isolation.

This is an issue that I found hilarious earlier, when someone wanted to protect all coastlines from all erosion, saying that doing so would protect existing coastlines, ignoring that existing coastlines are created by... erosion. To paraphrase something that Wally said,

This underlying assumption on the part of the authoring delegation that the [species] of the future [are] somehow inherently inferior to the [species] of the past is worthy of the utmost mockery.

But sure, write your proposal. Perhaps the way you write it avoids putting the hand of man towards reducing future biodiversity.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Aratunda
Political Columnist

Founded: Oct 01, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Aratunda » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:57 pm

So I had this idea for a proposal (not considering anything too seriously, so no draft yet) to ban government emergency services from being allowed to strike. I know resolution #43 sets the standard to allow national governments to set rules for their own employees to form unions but mine is more focused on emergency services (police, fire department, EMS) and their right to strike, not the entire right to unionize. I wanna know if this is at all a reasonable idea before I move on with writing a draft.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:43 pm

Aratunda wrote:So I had this idea for a proposal (not considering anything too seriously, so no draft yet) to ban government emergency services from being allowed to strike. I know resolution #43 sets the standard to allow national governments to set rules for their own employees to form unions but mine is more focused on emergency services (police, fire department, EMS) and their right to strike, not the entire right to unionize. I wanna know if this is at all a reasonable idea before I move on with writing a draft.

Also from GA 43:

3. DECLARES that national governments may exempt from the rights granted in clause 2:
a. Strikes or other industrial actions not authorized by a union.
b. Strikes or other industrial actions which significantly endanger the health or welfare of the public, such as, but not limited to strikes by medical and police personnel.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Aratunda
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Aratunda » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:30 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Aratunda wrote:So I had this idea for a proposal (not considering anything too seriously, so no draft yet) to ban government emergency services from being allowed to strike. I know resolution #43 sets the standard to allow national governments to set rules for their own employees to form unions but mine is more focused on emergency services (police, fire department, EMS) and their right to strike, not the entire right to unionize. I wanna know if this is at all a reasonable idea before I move on with writing a draft.

Also from GA 43:

3. DECLARES that national governments may exempt from the rights granted in clause 2:
b. Strikes or other industrial actions which significantly endanger the health or welfare of the public, such as, but not limited to strikes by medical and police personnel.

I read that, and while it's a good step, the idea is based on banning the right to strike for emergency services outright. Leaving it up to the governments of each nation would mean some are bound to let them strike, which would be a disaster.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:19 am

Aratunda wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Also from GA 43:

I read that, and while it's a good step, the idea is based on banning the right to strike for emergency services outright. Leaving it up to the governments of each nation would mean some are bound to let them strike, which would be a disaster.

If nations "may" exempt them, would not forcing them to exempt them be a contradictory reduction of discretion?

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Aratunda
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Aratunda » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:03 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Aratunda wrote:I read that, and while it's a good step, the idea is based on banning the right to strike for emergency services outright. Leaving it up to the governments of each nation would mean some are bound to let them strike, which would be a disaster.

If nations "may" exempt them, would not forcing them to exempt them be a contradictory reduction of discretion?

I suppose so.

Dungtoper
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 10, 2021
Ex-Nation

Idea for a Anti - Piracy Act

Postby Dungtoper » Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:09 pm

I have an Idea for an Anti Piracy Act.
I'm planning for it to be on better ocean security and more coast guards.
Do you have any advice or something i should add in the proposal?

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:20 pm

Dungtoper wrote:I have an Idea for an Anti Piracy Act.

You'd need to basically just make it a mandatory increase of national military (especially naval) budgets, since piracy is already illegal under GA law, including a mandate for all member states to take an active role in denying pirates safe haven or passage within their spheres of power. I don't know if that'll fly.

What you really should do is take a look through the rest of that thread to see how proposals are properly written, and what areas of international law have already been adequately covered (and which have gaping loopholes that need filling or patching).
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:21 pm

Dungtoper wrote:I have an Idea for an Anti Piracy Act.

Take a look at the existing G.A. Resolution #20 'Suppress International Piracy', which you would have to avoid either duplicating or relying on.

Dungtoper
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 10, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Dungtoper » Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:30 pm

Ok scratch that.
What Proposals or Repeals should I do?

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:39 pm

Dungtoper wrote:Ok scratch that.
What Proposals or Repeals should I do?

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:What you really should do is take a look through the rest of that thread to see how proposals are properly written, and what areas of international law have already been adequately covered (and which have gaping loopholes that need filling or patching).
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Yaak
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 19, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Yaak » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:08 am

A resolution regulating the size of toilet seats. Not original, but not taken.
Taiwan is a country, Tiananmen Square Protests happened, and free Tibet.

Ukraine is not Russia, and it will never be.

Russia and China cutting Ukraine and Taiwan like a cake.

Untecna
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Untecna » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:16 am

Yaak wrote:A resolution regulating the size of toilet seats. Not original, but not taken.

Didn't I suggest plumbing standards and then Wayneatica said something on those lines?

I think they did. I guess they would like that.

The republic of Jackalopetopia
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 04, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby The republic of Jackalopetopia » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:39 pm

A resolution creating a international suicide prevention hotline

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly