NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Ban Public Smoking Indoors

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
The republic of Jackalopetopia
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 04, 2021
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Ban Public Smoking Indoors

Postby The republic of Jackalopetopia » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:16 pm

(Moral Decency, strength: mild)

The World Assembly,

Understanding that many people find pleasure in smoking,

Observing, however, that Smoking can have harmful effects on the health of others,

Further observing that these effects are most severe while indoors,

Believing that people's health shouldn't have to suffer due to the actions of others,

Hereby:

[Tab=]1. Mandates that any cigars, cigarettes, e-cigarettes, pipes, vape pens, or similar be used in a designated room.[/Tab]

[Tab=]2. Requires that any public indoor areas have either designated rooms for smoking, or a total ban on smoking.[/Tab]

[Tab=]3. Requires these rooms have no windows, and have a maximum capacity of no less than 12 square feet per person.[/Tab]

The Kingdom of the Three Isles
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 01, 2021
New York Times Democracy

Postby The Kingdom of the Three Isles » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:18 pm

Sounds good
No, this is not the Iron Cross (I swear), and no I ain’t a N@zi.
Ordo Theutonicorum wrote: they have a cross-pattee on their flag??
Those who say they are based aren’t based. Those who say they are humble ain’t humble. Those who say they are chads ain’t chads.

WayNeacTia
Senator

Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:21 pm

Let's not and say we didn't, okay?
Sarcasm dispensed moderately.
RiderSyl wrote:You'd really think that defenders would communicate with each other about this. I know they're not a hivemind, but at least some level of PR skill would keep Quebecshire and Quebecshire from publically contradicting eac

wait

Neo-Western East Korea
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 15, 2021
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Neo-Western East Korea » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:37 pm

While I have other objections to this draft, why is there a requirement for no windows within designated smoking rooms. If what you're worried about is general damage to others, would it not be much better to have a way to flush the smoke out of the room instead of (presumably) just letting it back into the building you were in?
What the Hell is a Myaku?:
Time system inspired by(copied from- since i'm still in the early stages) Swatch Internet Time.
1 day is 1000 Myaku, 1 Hour is 41.6 Myaku, 1 Myaku is 1.26 minutes. To get the time in Myaku, do (3600(hour) + 60 (minute) + seconds) divided by 86.4

Xernon
Attaché

Founded: Jan 22, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Xernon » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:45 pm

Hey there! It's cool to see that you have an interest in writing a GA resolution and addressing a health-related topic no less! I compliment you on correct usage of preambulatory and operative clauses. :) Having said that, the way you have angled your topic doesn't convey the necessity for why this needs to be an international effort.

As a new writer, I'd recommend checking out what existing resolutions look like to get an idea of the level of depth and detail they usually require. You can view these by topic here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=381752#health I've pre-selected health related resolutions for you given your interest.

Do check them out, and if you have any questions, feel free to ask!
Last edited by Xernon on Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Personal Pronouns: He/Him/His

Mijukelie
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 17, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Mijukelie » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:11 pm

I think smoking should all be outside. If its in a room with no windows, smoke will still seep into the rooms where smoking is not allowed. Smoking is a health issue and if someone needs to smoke that bad they can go outside and only harm themselves.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:30 pm

Why is this an appropriate topic for international legislation?
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Diplomat

New York Times Democracy

Postby The Kingdom of the Three Isles » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:32 pm

Bears Armed wrote:Why is this an appropriate topic for international legislation?

It could be relevant to international health.
Those who say they are based aren’t based. Those who say they are humble ain’t humble. Those who say they are chads ain’t chads.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:33 pm

The Kingdom Of The Three Isles wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:Why is this an appropriate topic for international legislation?

It could be relevant to international health.

You think that significant levels of smoke would blow across borders?!
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.

Diplomat

New York Times Democracy

Postby The Kingdom of the Three Isles » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:46 pm

Bears Armed wrote:
The Kingdom Of The Three Isles wrote:It could be relevant to international health.

You think that significant levels of smoke would blow across borders?!

No, HEALTH. People's lifespan would shorten.
Last edited by The Kingdom of the Three Isles on Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Countesia
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 10, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Countesia » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:50 pm

Smoking is bad, but this is really more of a issue for national government to be honest.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:11 pm

Bears Armed wrote:You think that significant levels of smoke would blow across borders?!

No, HEALTH. People's lifespan would shorten.

But any one nation's policy on this topic would have no effect on the other member nations, and would you really having restrictions on how people smoke to be a fundamental right? What next, a proposal on the safe disposal of banana-skins so that people don't slip on those?

Diplomat

New York Times Democracy

Postby The Kingdom of the Three Isles » Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:08 pm

Bears Armed wrote:
The Kingdom Of The Three Isles wrote:No, HEALTH. People's lifespan would shorten.

But any one nation's policy on this topic would have no effect on the other member nations, and would you really having restrictions on how people smoke to be a fundamental right? What next, a proposal on the safe disposal of banana-skins so that people don't slip on those?

Do you smoke? Just asking, because most people against this are either the businesses that make cigarettes or the people who smoke.

Diplomat

New York Times Democracy

Postby The Kingdom of the Three Isles » Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:10 pm

Bears Armed wrote:
The Kingdom Of The Three Isles wrote:No, HEALTH. People's lifespan would shorten.

You do realise much less people have slipped and died by banana skins than people smoking. A worldwide ban on indoor smoking helps people, and people are much more important than business. If you think I’m wrong, then I wouldn’t be surprised if you support slavery.

WayNeacTia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:13 pm

Bears Armed wrote:But any one nation's policy on this topic would have no effect on the other member nations, and would you really having restrictions on how people smoke to be a fundamental right? What next, a proposal on the safe disposal of banana-skins so that people don't slip on those?

You do realise much less people have slipped and died by banana skins than people smoking. A worldwide ban on indoor smoking helps people, and people are much more important than business. If you think I’m wrong, then I wouldn’t be surprised if you support slavery.

Super. Non-member nations outnumber us by 10-1 now. How do you plan on enforcing that ban on non-member nations? So yeah, you are wrong. Take the L and move along.
RiderSyl wrote:You'd really think that defenders would communicate with each other about this. I know they're not a hivemind, but at least some level of PR skill would keep Quebecshire and Quebecshire from publically contradicting eac

wait

Diplomat

New York Times Democracy

Postby The Kingdom of the Three Isles » Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:15 pm

Wayneactia wrote:
The Kingdom Of The Three Isles wrote:You do realise much less people have slipped and died by banana skins than people smoking. A worldwide ban on indoor smoking helps people, and people are much more important than business. If you think I’m wrong, then I wouldn’t be surprised if you support slavery.

Super. Non-member nations outnumber us by 10-1 now. How do you plan on enforcing that ban on non-member nations? So yeah, you are wrong. Take the L and move along.

Insults don’t work. Only sad people say take the L. Also, clearly you didn’t realise that literally every resolution, whether you liked it or not, did not effect non-member nations. It was intended for just the WA members. Whether it was drugs or not.
Last edited by The Kingdom of the Three Isles on Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WayNeacTia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:16 pm

Wayneactia wrote:Super. Non-member nations outnumber us by 10-1 now. How do you plan on enforcing that ban on non-member nations? So yeah, you are wrong. Take the L and move along.

Insults don’t work.

Then you should probably learn how to use them better...... Either way, no one really cares, and this won't see the light of day.

wait

Diplomat

New York Times Democracy

Postby The Kingdom of the Three Isles » Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:18 pm

Wayneactia wrote:
The Kingdom Of The Three Isles wrote:Insults don’t work.

Then you should probably learn how to use them better...... Either way, no one really cares, and this won't see the light of day.

Don’t be too sure. Also, I use facts rather than insults. I can’t be bothered making pointless comments that makes me look more stupid.
Last edited by The Kingdom of the Three Isles on Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diplomat

New York Times Democracy

Postby The Kingdom of the Three Isles » Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:21 pm

Anyway I gtg.

WayNeacTia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:22 pm

Wayneactia wrote:Then you should probably learn how to use them better...... Either way, no one really cares, and this won't see the light of day.

Don’t be too sure. Also, I use facts rather than insults. I can’t be bothered making pointless comments that makes me look more stupid.

Really now?
Bears Armed wrote:But any one nation's policy on this topic would have no effect on the other member nations, and would you really having restrictions on how people smoke to be a fundamental right? What next, a proposal on the safe disposal of banana-skins so that people don't slip on those?

So saying someone supports slavery because they don't think a ban on indoor smoking which only affect 1-10 nations doesn't make you look stupid? Asking for a friend......

wait

Diplomat

New York Times Democracy

Postby The Kingdom of the Three Isles » Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:26 pm

Wayneactia wrote:
The Kingdom Of The Three Isles wrote:Don’t be too sure. Also, I use facts rather than insults. I can’t be bothered making pointless comments that makes me look more stupid.

Really now?
The Kingdom Of The Three Isles wrote:You do realise much less people have slipped and died by banana skins than people smoking. A worldwide ban on indoor smoking helps people, and people are much more important than business. If you think I’m wrong, then I wouldn’t be surprised if you support slavery.

So saying someone supports slavery because they don't think a ban on indoor smoking which only affect 1-10 nations doesn't make you look stupid? Asking for a friend......

Maybe look at what I wrote rather than saying I’m just throwing insults.

Diplomat

New York Times Democracy

Postby The Kingdom of the Three Isles » Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:27 pm

Then why can’t businesses enslave people, if businesses are more important than people’s health?

WayNeacTia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:27 pm

Wayneactia wrote:Really now?

Maybe look at what I wrote rather than saying I’m just throwing insults.

I would, but my conversational gibberish isn't what it used to be......

wait

Diplomat

New York Times Democracy

Postby The Kingdom of the Three Isles » Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:29 pm

Wayneactia wrote:
The Kingdom Of The Three Isles wrote:Maybe look at what I wrote rather than saying I’m just throwing insults.

I would, but my conversational gibberish isn't what it used to be......

?

WayNeacTia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:30 pm

Wayneactia wrote:I would, but my conversational gibberish isn't what it used to be......

?

Precisely.

wait

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly