NATION

PASSWORD

America the Beautiful: An American Political RP (Congress)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Greater Arab State
Senator

Founded: Jul 12, 2017
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Greater Arab State » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:25 pm

Newne Carriebean7 wrote:United States House of Representatives
Representative Maxine Caroline Durant [R-MS-3]
Representative Maxine finally had her moment. If any could see on her face, she was, evidently, exhausted. But, she still had the gumption to show up to work, sit her ass in her chair and listen while the Speaker laid out the bill. The brief interlude did grant her a period of contemplation for the bill. She was still unsure as to where she would really lean on such a massive package, and so decided that popping some questions on the bill would be the most benifitical answer. She only wished and hoped that this was being broadcast on C-SPAN, so that people in her district and all over the nation would at least get a little clearer understanding of the bill.

With that, she swiftly stood up, holding a sheet of paper in one hand to ask away several questions about the massive spending bill that was stiffly standing on the House Docket.

"Mr. Speaker, I noticed the wording of certain sections of the bill, and would enjoy some clarification before we rush into things willy-nilly. With respect to the wording of "additional funding", that means that the funds will be added on top of what we've already set aside for the last Federal Budget, correct? So, if this is correct, this would mean that, instead of just spending say, 10 billion dollars for the RDOF, it instead allocates an extra 10 billion dollars on top of what the RDOF already has in it's coffers? How much spending per fiscal year would you say this legislation conducts? I'm well aware of the... One point Four trillion dollar price tag, but it is spread out over the 4 years of this year to 2025. Will that depend on future legislation passed, say a bill that will cut spending to, oh I don't know... the Poor people Drinking Water program. Say it cuts it by a quarter of a million. Will that mean there's just the additional $250,000,000 for the Poor People Drinking Program should the cut be approved by both bodies and signed into law as a 'cost cutting measure?

I am also gravely concerned as to the sheer amount of money we are allocating for personal checks. I understand that millions are currently looking for jobs and are out of work, but may I ask where you got the 1400 amount for the Individual Checks? I belive, and correct me If I am mistaken, but was there not negotiations between two thousand dollar checks and this was the resulting compromise? This bill, if passed, will have the immediate effect of flooding the national economy with 40-I mean 403 billion dollars into the hands of every single individual in this country. I ain't opposed to free money in principle, but is it really wise to grant millions of dredges on society the funds they'll need to squander them on booze and vice? I'd also like to know if you have a timeline of when the First Checks would go out should this legislation be signed into law. Finally, Why is there so much money being allocated twoards Child Abuse Prevention, both in the Grants and with respect to Title II. This is not to demean the critical role these programs play, but I'd like a reasonable explanation as to why there's 350,000,000 more of our tax dollars being allocated to these programs?"

United States House of Representatives

Representative Thomas Volker
(Republican- 8th Congressional District of Missouri)
Speaker of the United States House of Representatives|Not Presiding

“Regarding the question from the Representative for Mississippi’s 3rd Congressional District, I can confirm that ‘additional funding’ refers to is funding allocated in top of existing funding.”

“Furthermore, the decision to set stimulus checks at $1,400 was taken as a result of negotiations with multiple parties and was based on the estimated immediate needs of the American people. It is in many ways a blunt instrument yes but it is the single fastest measure we can us to get the American people tangible relief. This is of particular benefit to districts such as the Congresswomen’s own, where the median household income stands at roughly $50,000, or $11,000 below the nation average.”

“Moreover, cases of child abuse have substantially risen since the beginning of the downturn and the additional allocated funding is merely a means through which we can provide as robust a response as is possible in protecting America’s children whilst also addressing what has previously been an underfunded government.”

“If there are no objections, Mr Speaker, I motion to end the questioning period.”
Moggmentum
Trump 2024
This nation does not represent my political views.

Kargintinia
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 17, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Kargintinia » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:27 pm

Greater Arab State wrote:
Newne Carriebean7 wrote:United States House of Representatives
Representative Maxine finally had her moment. If any could see on her face, she was, evidently, exhausted. But, she still had the gumption to show up to work, sit her ass in her chair and listen while the Speaker laid out the bill. The brief interlude did grant her a period of contemplation for the bill. She was still unsure as to where she would really lean on such a massive package, and so decided that popping some questions on the bill would be the most benifitical answer. She only wished and hoped that this was being broadcast on C-SPAN, so that people in her district and all over the nation would at least get a little clearer understanding of the bill.

With that, she swiftly stood up, holding a sheet of paper in one hand to ask away several questions about the massive spending bill that was stiffly standing on the House Docket.

"Mr. Speaker, I noticed the wording of certain sections of the bill, and would enjoy some clarification before we rush into things willy-nilly. With respect to the wording of "additional funding", that means that the funds will be added on top of what we've already set aside for the last Federal Budget, correct? So, if this is correct, this would mean that, instead of just spending say, 10 billion dollars for the RDOF, it instead allocates an extra 10 billion dollars on top of what the RDOF already has in it's coffers? How much spending per fiscal year would you say this legislation conducts? I'm well aware of the... One point Four trillion dollar price tag, but it is spread out over the 4 years of this year to 2025. Will that depend on future legislation passed, say a bill that will cut spending to, oh I don't know... the Poor people Drinking Water program. Say it cuts it by a quarter of a million. Will that mean there's just the additional $250,000,000 for the Poor People Drinking Program should the cut be approved by both bodies and signed into law as a 'cost cutting measure?

I am also gravely concerned as to the sheer amount of money we are allocating for personal checks. I understand that millions are currently looking for jobs and are out of work, but may I ask where you got the 1400 amount for the Individual Checks? I belive, and correct me If I am mistaken, but was there not negotiations between two thousand dollar checks and this was the resulting compromise? This bill, if passed, will have the immediate effect of flooding the national economy with 40-I mean 403 billion dollars into the hands of every single individual in this country. I ain't opposed to free money in principle, but is it really wise to grant millions of dredges on society the funds they'll need to squander them on booze and vice? I'd also like to know if you have a timeline of when the First Checks would go out should this legislation be signed into law. Finally, Why is there so much money being allocated twoards Child Abuse Prevention, both in the Grants and with respect to Title II. This is not to demean the critical role these programs play, but I'd like a reasonable explanation as to why there's 350,000,000 more of our tax dollars being allocated to these programs?"

“Regarding the question from the Representative for Mississippi’s 3rd Congressional District, I can confirm that ‘additional funding’ refers to is funding allocated in top of existing funding.”

“Furthermore, the decision to set stimulus checks at $1,400 was taken as a result of negotiations with multiple parties and was based on the estimated immediate needs of the American people. It is in many ways a blunt instrument yes but it is the single fastest measure we can us to get the American people tangible relief. This is of particular benefit to districts such as the Congresswomen’s own, where the median household income stands at roughly $50,000, or $11,000 below the nation average.”

“Moreover, cases of child abuse have substantially risen since the beginning of the downturn and the additional allocated funding is merely a means through which we can provide as robust a response as is possible in protecting America’s children whilst also addressing what has previously been an underfunded government.”

“If there are no objections, Mr Speaker, I motion to end the questioning period.”

House Majority Whip Earl Tenson (R-MT-At-Large)

“Mr. Speaker, I second the motion from the Congressman from Missouri.”
Earl said before giving Thomas a smiling grin.

Greater Arab State
Senator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Greater Arab State » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:40 pm

Representative (Generic Republican)
(Republican- 4th Congressional District of Alabama)
Speaker pro Tempore of the United States House of Representatives

“With no objections the motion passes. The questioning period has ended.”
Last edited by Greater Arab State on Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moggmentum
Trump 2024

Newne Carriebean7
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 08, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Newne Carriebean7 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:54 pm

"Mr. Speaker, Motion to proceed to a vote."
Krugeristan wrote:This is Carrie you're referring to. I'm not going to expect him to do something sane anytime soon. He can take something as simple as a sandwich, and make me never look at sandwiches with a straight face ever again.

Former Carriebeanian president Carol Dartenby sentenced to 4 years hard labor for corruption and mismanagement of state property|Former Carriebeanian president Antrés Depuís sentenced to 3 years in prison for embezzling funds and corruption

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 24, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:00 pm

Representative Caroline Simone
[Democratic - 12th District of the State of New York]

"I object to the motion from the Representative from Mississippi."

"Mr. Speaker, the legislation before us represents a positive step towards recovery, and I commend the ongoing engagement between Republican and Democratic leaders to finalize this package as it moves forward. I appreciate the clarifications that have been made by the congressman from Missouri as to certain items of spending, and am eager to support the aerospace sector in that manner now that clarification has been given to the chamber. I believe we are all honest and open about this being a first step in a broader based economic recovery, and I look forward to further efforts following this legislation to address the broader economic issues, both obvious and underlying, which necessarily need to be confronted if we are to ensure that America is stronger than it was before the economic crash. A meager recovery suits no one. Despite the questions from the congresswoman from Mississippi, I - for one - welcome the attention this bill has given to the issue of child abuse, and I would welcome opportunities to work with the leadership of both my party and that opposite to focus on other child welfare issues. The content of the bill is worth moving forward, and it has my support."

"With regards to the matter of the oversight provisions that have been discussed, and in light of the agreement to cooperate in amending such a section, Mr. Speaker, I move to consider the following amendment."

Amendment 1 to the American Recovery Act

Section 8 is amended thus:

1. Subsection E. is amended by striking "the Department of Justice to combat fraud to government programs in this act" and inserting "the Office of the Inspector General of the Department of Justice to combat fraud of government programs in this act, and ensure spending complies with the provisions of this act".
  2. Subsection F. is amended by striking "to combat fraud to government programs in this act" and inserting "to combat fraud of government programs in this act, and ensure spending complies with the provisions of this act".
  3. Adding to the end of this section -
      G) No funds disbursed by this act to state, local, and tribal governments may be used for the personal enrichment of that government's elected officials.
      H) The Inspector General of the Department of Justice, the House Committee on Oversight and Reform, and the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee shall be empowered to oversee all measures and spending in this bill, and may require the reimbursement of any funds to the Treasury which are expended in violation of subsection G).
Neoliberal
"Making peace with the establishment is an important aspect of maturity."
Join NS P2TM's rebooted US politics RP! - America the Beautiful
Eugene Obradovic - D-IL - President pro tempore of the United States Senate, senior Senator from the State of Illinois
Caroline Simone - D-NY - Ranking Member of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, former Speaker of the United States House of Representatives, Representative for the 12th District of New York
Abigail Jekyll-Jones - R-OR - Chair of the House Natural Resources Committee, Representative for the 2nd District of Oregon
Bryan Burgess - R-CT - White House Press Secretary
Jonah Prendergast Jr. - R-WV - Governor of West Virginia, former Secretary of Labor

Madrinpoor
Minister

Founded: Dec 01, 2020
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Madrinpoor » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:13 pm

Representative Frank Loloma [D-AZ-1]

"I second the motion of the Representative from New York."
MT City-state off the coast of Japan: Sumo wrestling, tech startups, Shintō mobs, gay marriage, Bōsōzuku, taiko drums, zokusha cars, neon signs, skyscrapers, Yakuza, internet, Christians, teen biker gangs, international treaties, inter-city canals, rooftop gardens, Samurai, Internet Explorer, canned beer, and a Shogun. 2002 C.E.
Yooper High Kingdom wrote:If I could describe Mandrinpoor with one word, it would be this: Slick.
Nevertopia wrote:Madrinpoor? More like madrinWEALTH be upon your family, may your days be happy and your burdens be light.

SupportUkraine!
Cuban-American He/him

Velahor
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 27, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Velahor » Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:02 pm

United States Senate
Senator William S. Rogers III [D-MT]

William cleared his throat, tucked the notebook and other papers back into his briefcase quickly, and then stood up to address the acting President pro tempore.

"Mr. President, it doesn't look like there's any objections to ending the questioning period, so if it's alright and in order, I move to insert the following amendment into the BUILD Act, at the end of section number four. It's an amendment for extra Section 8 and veteran's supportive housing vouchers."

Rogers waved for an aide of his, who promptly delivered the amendment to the acting president pro tempore.

Amendment to the BUILD Act

Inserted into Section 4 after subsection (g):

f. Section 8 Rental Certificate Program-

1. Existing Rental Housing Certificates- Section 8(b)(1) of the United States Housing Act of 1937 (42 USCS § 1437f) is amended by ending at the end the following:

“(ff) Authorization of appropriations - There is authorized to be appropriated to the Section 8 Rental Certificate Program an additional $500,000,000 for each of fiscal years 2022 through 2031.”

g. Veteran Affairs Supportive Housing Vouchers-

1. Change to 2022 Funding- Amends the Veteran’s Mental Health and Other Care Improvements Act of 2008, 38 USCS § 2044(e)(1)(H) by striking the words “for each of fiscal years 2021 and 2022” and inserting the words “for fiscal year 2021.”

2. Amends the Veteran’s Mental Health and Other Care Improvements Act of 2008 (38 USCS § 2044) by inserting after subsection (e)(1)(H) the following:
“(G) $500,000,000 for each of fiscal years 2022 through 2031”
”A wasted vote is voting for someone that you don’t believe in”

Libertarian Realist/Neoclassical Liberal/Capitalistic Pragmatist, Civil Rights Advocate, Architecture Geek, Law Student
Diane Paulson - Congresswoman - Maine 2nd District
Michelle Paulson-Miller - White House Deputy Chief of Staff & Former NRA Chief Lobbyist
William S. Rogers III - Senator - Montana
Martha Prendergast - Senator & First Lady - West Virginia
Daniel Gundersen - Mayor of Waukesha, WI/Candidate for United States Senate/Founder of Dairy Dan’s

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:08 pm

Velahor wrote:United States Senate

William cleared his throat, tucked the notebook and other papers back into his briefcase quickly, and then stood up to address the acting President pro tempore.

"Mr. President, it doesn't look like there's any objections to ending the questioning period, so if it's alright and in order, I move to insert the following amendment into the BUILD Act, at the end of section number four. It's an amendment for extra Section 8 and veteran's supportive housing vouchers."

Rogers waved for an aide of his, who promptly delivered the amendment to the acting president pro tempore.

(Image)
Amendment to the BUILD Act

Inserted into Section 4 after subsection (g):

f. Section 8 Rental Certificate Program-

1. Existing Rental Housing Certificates- Section 8(b)(1) of the United States Housing Act of 1937 (42 USCS § 1437f) is amended by ending at the end the following:

“(ff) Authorization of appropriations - There is authorized to be appropriated to the Section 8 Rental Certificate Program an additional $500,000,000 for each of fiscal years 2022 through 2031.”

g. Veteran Affairs Supportive Housing Vouchers-

1. Change to 2022 Funding- Amends the Veteran’s Mental Health and Other Care Improvements Act of 2008, 38 USCS § 2044(e)(1)(H) by striking the words “for each of fiscal years 2021 and 2022” and inserting the words “for fiscal year 2021.”

2. Amends the Veteran’s Mental Health and Other Care Improvements Act of 2008 (38 USCS § 2044) by inserting after subsection (e)(1)(H) the following:
“(G) $500,000,000 for each of fiscal years 2022 through 2031”

Senator ???
[Democratic - State of Connecticut]
{Acting President pro tempore of the United States Senate}

"The Chair will decide when there has been sufficient time for objections, Senator, but having heard none, we will proceed to open debate. Does the Senator from Montana's motion have a second?"

Senator Eugene Obradovic
[Democratic - State of Illinois]
{President pro tempore of the United States Senate|NOT PRESIDING}

"I second the motion, Mr. President."
Neoliberal
Eugene Obradovic - D-IL - President pro tempore of the United States Senate, senior Senator from the State of Illinois
Caroline Simone - D-NY - Ranking Member of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, former Speaker of the United States House of Representatives, Representative for the 12th District of New York
Abigail Jekyll-Jones - R-OR - Chair of the House Natural Resources Committee, Representative for the 2nd District of Oregon
Jonah Prendergast Jr. - R-WV - Governor of West Virginia, former Secretary of Labor

Greater Arab State
Senator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Greater Arab State » Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:23 pm

“Without a second, the Congresswoman from Mississippi’s motion fails. With no objections the motion made by the Congresswoman from New York passes, the Representative from New York is invited to lay out the amendment.”
Last edited by Greater Arab State on Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Moggmentum
Trump 2024

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:31 pm

“Without a second, the Congresswoman from Mississippi’s motion fails. With no objections the motion made by the Congresswoman from New York passes, the Representative from New York is invited to lay out the bill.”

"Thank you, Mr. Speaker."

"The amendment presented before this chamber serves to tighten the oversight of the expenditures in the bill, apply some necessary specificities, and ensure that any funds misspent in violation of the act's specificities can be recovered by the Federal purse. These reasonable measures should serve to resolve anxieties on both sides of this chamber about the potential uses of such spending, and ensure that the Congress and the Inspector General are able to act in the event of such misuses. It is a simple amendment, a brief one, and I shall not draw out my introduction thereof, simply inviting my colleagues to put your support behind it."

"With that, I yield my time."
Last edited by Gordano and Lysandus on Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neoliberal

The Orion Islands
Minister

Founded: Dec 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Orion Islands » Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:41 pm

Senator Everitt Colbert (R-UT)
"Mr. President, I propose the following amendment."
An Amendment to A BILL To repeal the limitation on the construction of new public housing stock, known as the Faircloth Amendment, and redress the ongoing crisis regarding the availability of affordable housing in the United States.
Section 4, Subsection d, clause 1 is amended by striking the words "and such sums as may be necessary for each of fiscal years 2023"
Section 4, Subsection e, clause 1 is amended by striking the words "and such sums as may be necessary for each of fiscal years 2023"
Section 5: The funds laid out in Section 4, subsections a, b, c, f, and g shall be subdivided into portions for each state, territory, and district of the United States in proportion to their population as determined by the 2020 United States census. The portions of the funds that correspond to each state, territory, and district of the United States shall only be used in such state, territory, or district.
Last edited by The Orion Islands on Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DESANTIS/PENCE 2024
Proud Catholic Republican
Supporter of Israel, NATO, Christianity, capitalism, and conservatism.
Member of ICDN

Yaruqo
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 02, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Yaruqo » Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:48 pm

Representative Oliver Miller
[Democratic - 3rd District of the State of Kansas]

“Mr. Speaker, I rise today in support of the esteemed gentlewoman of New York’s amendment. At a time where public trust in our government has wavered, we should do what we can as representatives of the American people to ensure transparency, oversight, and good governance. I likewise urge my colleagues on both sides of the aisle to support this amendment. All of our constituents are counting on us to make this recovery count, and we must not fail them.”

Staffers for Miller’s office deposit a bill in the House hopper.
Helping Communities Invest in Infrastructure Act of 2021

A BILL
To amend title 23, United States Code, to increase a set-aside for the Rural Project Initiative of the TIFIA program, and for other purposes.

Sponsor: Representative Oliver Miller of Kansas (D)
Senate Sponsors: Senator Eugene Obradovic of Illinois (D)
House Sponsors: Representative Frank Laloma of Arizona (D), Representative Caroline Simone of New York (D)

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1: SHORT TITLE.
    This Act may be cited as the "Helping Communities Invest in Infrastructure Act of 2021".

SECTION 2: DEFINITION.
    TIFIA— The Transportation Infrastructure Finance and Innovation Act (TIFIA) program is run through the United States Department of Transportation to provide credit assistance for qualified regional and national surface transportation projects in the United States, as authorized by the Transportation Infrastructure Finance and Innovation Act (23 USC § 602-609).

SECTION 3: INCREASE OF SET-ASIDE.
    (Section 605(f)(1) of title 23, United States Code, is amended by striking “$200,000,000” and inserting “$300,000,000”.

SECTION 4: NATIONAL SURFACE TRANSPORTATION AND INNOVATIVE FINANCE BUREAU.
    (a) Section 116 of title 49, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the following:

“(k) Annual progress report.—Not later than 1 year after the date of enactment of this subsection, and annually thereafter, the Executive Director shall submit to the Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure of the House of Representatives and the Committee on Environment and Public Works of the Senate a report detailing—

“(1) the use of funds authorized under section 605(f) of title 23; and

“(2) the progress of the Bureau in carrying out the purposes described in subsection (b).”.

(b) Section 116(b)(1) of title 49, United States Code, is amended to read as follows:

“(1) to provide assistance and communicate best practices and financing and funding opportunities to eligible entities for the programs referred to in subsection (d)(1), including by—

“(A) conducting proactive outreach to communities located outside of metropolitan or micropolitan statistical areas; and

“(B) coordinating with the Office of Rural Development of the Department of Agriculture, the Office of Community Revitalization of the Environmental Protection Agency, and any other agencies that provide technical assistance for rural communities, as determined by the Director;”.

SECTION 5: TIFIA APPLICATION PROCESS REPORT.
    Section 609(b)(2)(A) of title 23, United States Code, is amended—
    (1) in clause (iv), by striking “and”;
    (2) in clause (v), by striking the period at the end and inserting “; and”; and
    (3) by adding at the end the following: “(vi) whether the project is located in a metropolitan statistical area, micropolitan statistical area, or neither.”.
Last edited by Yaruqo on Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Join NS P2TM's rebooted US politics RP! - Twilight’s Last Gleaming

Слава Україні!
Glory to Ukraine!

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:59 pm

Senator ???

"Hearing no objections on the floor to considering the amendment from the gentleman from Montana, the Senate will consider the amendment from the gentleman from Montana. The gentleman from Utah may move to consider his amendment once consideration on that amendment has concluded."
Neoliberal

Velahor
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 27, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Velahor » Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:07 pm

United States Senate

Rogers pulled his notebook back out, and flipped it to a scribbled handwritten sheet that said in big letters at the top SENATE RULES. He pulled out a red pen and wrote "WAIT FOR THE PREZ TO RECOGNIZE THE LACK OF OBJECTION" at the bottom. He then closed the notebook, pulled out his copy of the amendment.

When the President pro tempore recognized the lack of objections and allowed him to introduce the amendment, he stood up and tried to take on the same tone that he used to use in the courtroom.

"My respected colleague from Illinois already outlined the basics of my amendment during the questioning period. But for those who missed it, here are the facts."

"These two provisions serve to boost, respectively, the funding of the Section 8 housing program and the HUD & VA's joint Veteran Supportive Housing Vouchers program."

"Senator Gaspard made an excellent point in noting that Section 8 vouchers have been shown to be an effective form of combatting homelessness and poverty by helping the most at-risk Americans maintain a stable residence. In light of unprecedented rates of homelessness nationwide, I find it reasonable and logical to guarantee an additional $5 billion to that program each year. That money will go to ensuring that Americans who would otherwise be living in tents, cars, and other transitory housing, will instead have a roof over their heads. Without scrambling to find the next safe place to lay their head, these Americans will have the stability to re-engage with the workforce and provide greater benefit to their communities. Section 8 vouchers are not only a lifeline for struggling Americans...they are also an investment in stable, safe, healthy communities."

Rogers paused, glanced around the Senate chamber, and continued.

"The second provision of this bill exists to boost funding for housing and health resources desperately needed by the men and women who have made the greatest sacrifices to our nation. The horrible conditions our veterans face upon returning to the United States is a testament to the need to better fund this program."

"I recently visited to my alma mater UCLA, and just blocks away, I saw something that rocked me to the core."

On this queue, Rogers had color-printed handouts provided to his fellow Senators, consisting of the below photographs.

"I want you to take a look at the photos my aides are handing out. This is what I saw. On the street just outside of the West Los Angeles VA hospital. They call it 'Veteran's Row'. Tent after flag-lined tent of veterans of every war since Vietnam, living mere inches from a fast-moving street that endangers their lives at every moment. These men are hanging on at the mere edges of subsistence in order to be close to the VA hospital and get the treatment they need."

"I was appalled. Disgusted. These pictures, which I got from various local news stories about the encampment, tell the story more than I ever could."

"These veterans have made honorable sacrifices for our freedom, many of them paying the price with their health and peace of mind. Any American who feels any sense of patriotism, any duty to their fellow man, should support additional funding of this program."

"The Soldier's Creed of the United States Army says 'I will never leave a fallen comrade.' These men upheld that creed as 'guardians of freedom and the American way of life.'"

"Now, I call upon the men and women of this Senate, and the men and women of America, it's time to uphold our end of the bargain. We cannot leave behind our fallen comrades on Veteran's Row or anywhere else where the brave men and women who served in our armed forces are unhoused and fighting to survive."

Rogers briefly paused for effect, giving a similar glance around the room to the one he gave earlier.

"Mr. President, I move to open the questioning period on the amendment."
Last edited by Velahor on Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
”A wasted vote is voting for someone that you don’t believe in”

Libertarian Realist/Neoclassical Liberal/Capitalistic Pragmatist, Civil Rights Advocate, Architecture Geek, Law Student
Diane Paulson - Congresswoman - Maine 2nd District
Michelle Paulson-Miller - White House Deputy Chief of Staff & Former NRA Chief Lobbyist
William S. Rogers III - Senator - Montana
Martha Prendergast - Senator & First Lady - West Virginia
Daniel Gundersen - Mayor of Waukesha, WI/Candidate for United States Senate/Founder of Dairy Dan’s

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:10 pm

Velahor wrote:United States Senate

Rogers pulled his notebook back out, and flipped it to a scribbled handwritten sheet that said in big letters at the top SENATE RULES. He pulled out a red pen and wrote "WAIT FOR THE PREZ TO RECOGNIZE THE LACK OF OBJECTION" at the bottom. He then closed the notebook, pulled out his copy of the amendment.

When the President pro tempore recognized the lack of objections and allowed him to introduce the amendment, he stood up and tried to take on the same tone that he used to use in the courtroom.

"My respected colleague from Illinois already outlined the basics of my amendment during the questioning period. But for those who missed it, here are the facts."

"These two provisions serve to boost, respectively, the funding of the Section 8 housing program and the HUD & VA's joint Veteran Supportive Housing Vouchers program."

"Senator Gaspard made an excellent point in noting that Section 8 vouchers have been shown to be an effective form of combatting homelessness and poverty by helping the most at-risk Americans maintain a stable residence. In light of unprecedented rates of homelessness nationwide, I find it reasonable and logical to guarantee an additional $5 billion to that program each year. That money will go to ensuring that Americans who would otherwise be living in tents, cars, and other transitory housing, will instead have a roof over their heads. Without scrambling to find the next safe place to lay their head, these Americans will have the stability to re-engage with the workforce and provide greater benefit to their communities. Section 8 vouchers are not only a lifeline for struggling Americans...they are also an investment in stable, safe, healthy communities."

Rogers paused, glanced around the Senate chamber, and continued.

"The second provision of this bill exists to boost funding for housing and health resources desperately needed by the men and women who have made the greatest sacrifices to our nation. The horrible conditions our veterans face upon returning to the United States is a testament to the need to better fund this program."

"I recently visited to my alma mater UCLA, and just blocks away, I saw something that rocked me to the core."

On this queue, Rogers had color-printed handouts provided to his fellow Senators, consisting of the below photographs.

"I want you to take a look at the photos my aides are handing out. This is what I saw. On the street just outside of the West Los Angeles VA hospital. They call it 'Veteran's Row'. Tent after flag-lined tent of veterans of every war since Vietnam, living mere inches from a fast-moving street that endangers their lives at every moment. These men are hanging on at the mere edges of subsistence in order to be close to the VA hospital and get the treatment they need."

"I was appalled. Disgusted. These pictures, which I got from various local news stories about the encampment, tell the story more than I ever could."

"These veterans have made honorable sacrifices for our freedom, many of them paying the price with their health and peace of mind. Any American who feels any sense of patriotism, any duty to their fellow man, should support additional funding of this program."

"The Soldier's Creed of the United States Army says 'I will never leave a fallen comrade.' These men upheld that creed has 'guardians of freedom and the American way of life.'"

"Now, I call upon the men and women of this Senate, and the men and women of America, it's time to uphold our end of the bargain. We cannot leave behind our fallen comrades on Veteran's Row or anywhere else where the brave men and women who served in our armed forces are unhoused and fighting to survive."

Rogers briefly paused for effect, giving a similar glance around the room to the one he gave earlier.

"Mr. President, I move to open the questioning period on the amendment."

Senator ???

"A second will not be necessary. The Senate will now consider questions on the amendment."
Neoliberal

Louisianan
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 21, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Louisianan » Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:22 pm

United States Senate
Senator Hypolite Gaspard
[Republican - State of Louisiana]

Hypolite writes a note to Alabama Deb,

Debbie, don't mean to sound like I went soft or nothing like that, but I legitimately believe that this bill has good intentions behind it, and before you get up there and start talking about your favorite Alabama Cuisine, I think you ought to amend it as you see fit. No point in wasting time, you know just as well as I that your filibuster will be nipped in the bud like Barney Fife fooling with a gun.

Sarenium
Senator

Founded: Sep 18, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Sarenium » Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:35 am

Gordano and Lysandus wrote:

Sarenium wrote:Deborah Feyrer (R-AL)

"I have a question," she stood, "how will this all be paid for? Fifty-five billion dollars is a lot to spend on a big blue state bailout for some place like homeless California, when the country's bucklin'!"

She continued, "folks back home are beggin' for an answer, not just that but why the heck these Senate Democrats, who've gotten 'emselves a majority by the accidental," she hardened that last word letting it linger, "death of a good conservative Wisconsin Republican, are tryin' to pass this bill before one that confronts China! We shoul' be passin' the Endless Frontier Act, now if not yesterday! The Chinese are to blame for our issues, they sabotaged our economy, and you'd rather throw money at homeless big blue California than strengthen our nation against the Commie Chinese!"

"I will object to proceeding to a vote on this bill," she declared, indicating an intention to filibuster the bill.

Senator Eugene Obradovic
[Democratic - State of Illinois]
{President pro tempore of the Senate|NOT PRESIDING}

"The gentlewoman from Alabama raises interesting points that I shall address in turn."

"First of all, regarding the funding of the bill, I assure her that we will be following the President's lead on this and be funding it in the same manner as the relief legislation that he has worked so tirelessly on. This is itself an act of relief - economic relief, community relief, personal and societal relief. The public good done by this bill makes it thoroughly worthwhile, and just as the President's work seeks to invest in the American people, so too does this legislation."

"Secondly, on the matter of China. Now, I'm an old man. I was just twelve years old when the so-called People's Republic was born. I'm old enough to have seen Presidents of both parties make the mistake of thinking that you can address them earnestly and with the same fair hand as any other country. The gentlewoman from Alabama is right when she points out that this is a competition. But it is not just a competition of arms or ideals, but a competition of economies. It is who emerges strongest from the present economic riptide who will have in their hands the providence of the future. And one area in which we so lackingly lag behind our communist rivals is in construction. Skyscrapers, housing complexes... They build them damn quicker over there, so much so they have a glut, a surplus of housing. Are we to be hamstrung and out-performed? Does the gentlewoman prefer that we be beaten by Beijing in this regard? Of what I know of her, I do not think this is the case. And so I implore her to get America building again, so that we have the economic clout to meet China on our own terms in this next, so crucial decade!"

"And finally I would ask the gentlewoman to acknowledge that debate on this measure began before she had placed the Endless Frontier Act on the Senate docket, and whilst as President pro tempore of this body, I am granted a number of procedural powers, only the Almighty may have command of the passage of time."

Deborah Feyrer (R-AL)

"Commies move fast," she snorted, as she returned to her seat, loud enough for those near her to hear, but no so loud that the Presiding Officer or C-SPAN viewers would hear.
...I'd like to do you slowly...
Says Paul Keating
Just another Australian.

Just be Ben Shapiro: Debate your wife into an orgasm; "hypothetically say I moved my hand to..."

Lavan Tiri
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 18, 2014
Democratic Socialists

Postby Lavan Tiri » Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:25 am

Max O'Halloran
Minority Leader of the United States Senate
Republican|Wyoming

As was his custom since becoming Leader, Max did not actively participate in the floor debate, instead sitting impassively. He watched the note go from Gaspard's desk to Obradovich, and then another to Feyrer. He leaned over to speak quietly to Duncan.

"Be sure to keep an eye on Senator Gaspard."

Duncan nodded and scribbled Hypolite Gaspard on the List of Potential Troublemakers that Max kept. The Leader then scrawled a note and had an aide convey it to Deb Feyrer.

Deborah.

Amend this bill if you must. If you feel strongly about it, slip in a poison pill.
My pronouns are they/them

Join Home of the Brave!
Big Jim P wrote:I like the way you think.

Constaniana wrote:Ah, so you were dropped on your head. This explains a lot.

Zarkenis Ultima wrote:Snarky bastard.

The Grey Wolf wrote:You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

Renewed Imperial Germany wrote:I'm not sure whether to laugh because thIs is the best satire I've ever seen or be very very afraid because someone actually thinks all this so.... have a cookie?

John Holland wrote: John Holland
your mom

Greater Arab State
Senator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Greater Arab State » Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:57 pm

“Mr Speaker, I move to vote on the amendment.”
Moggmentum
Trump 2024

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:58 pm

“Mr Speaker, I move to vote on the amendment.”

"I second the motion from the congressman from Missouri."
Neoliberal

Greater Arab State
Senator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Greater Arab State » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:02 pm

“Hearing no objections, the House will proceed to a vote on Amendment One to the American Recovery Act.”
Moggmentum
Trump 2024

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:03 pm

"Aye."
Neoliberal

Greater Arab State
Senator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Greater Arab State » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:03 pm

“Aye.”
Moggmentum
Trump 2024

Newne Carriebean7
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 08, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Newne Carriebean7 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:04 pm

"Nay!"
Last edited by Newne Carriebean7 on Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Krugeristan wrote:This is Carrie you're referring to. I'm not going to expect him to do something sane anytime soon. He can take something as simple as a sandwich, and make me never look at sandwiches with a straight face ever again.

Former Carriebeanian president Carol Dartenby sentenced to 4 years hard labor for corruption and mismanagement of state property|Former Carriebeanian president Antrés Depuís sentenced to 3 years in prison for embezzling funds and corruption

Kargintinia
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 17, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Kargintinia » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:04 pm

House Majority Whip Earl Tenson (R-MT-At-Large)

"Mr. Speaker, I vote aye."

To: Republican House Conference

The vote on the current amendment is Aye.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse