NATION

PASSWORD

[ON HOLD] International Broadcasting Consortium

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Desmosthenes and Burke
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 07, 2017
New York Times Democracy

Postby Desmosthenes and Burke » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:29 am

Hulldom wrote:At a glance, I think I could understand where one got that impression, but I don't think so, no. 3b says nothing about actually allocating parts of the spectrum, merely that they'll guarantee the political impartiality of the allocation process (so the IBC wouldn't actually be doing the allocating). I see nothing regarding emergency broadcasting at all, much less talking about standards for that like in 3c. 4b I can maybe see, but that being said, I think the distinction in what's actually meant (in this case--analog v. digital) that I think it's a non-problem.

OOC:
The only thing I see is that GA532 establishes the IRA as a WA body and then tasks that body with making allocations for specific uses. Though I see enough grey area in "allocate for use" and the assignment of a specific frequency to a broadcaster to not make this problematic in that respect.

That said, entirely opposed anyway as both IC and OOC policy from me is 100% privatization in this sphere. A repeal of the prior resolution would be better. Something focused solely on emergency broadcasting or a dispute resolution system might be supportable, but creating bureaucracy for the sake of it is anathema.
N’oubliez pas l’hospitalité car, grâce à elle, certains, sans le savoir, ont accueilli des anges.

Hulldom
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 16, 2018
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Hulldom » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:01 am

Desmosthenes and Burke wrote:
Hulldom wrote:At a glance, I think I could understand where one got that impression, but I don't think so, no. 3b says nothing about actually allocating parts of the spectrum, merely that they'll guarantee the political impartiality of the allocation process (so the IBC wouldn't actually be doing the allocating). I see nothing regarding emergency broadcasting at all, much less talking about standards for that like in 3c. 4b I can maybe see, but that being said, I think the distinction in what's actually meant (in this case--analog v. digital) that I think it's a non-problem.

OOC:
The only thing I see is that GA532 establishes the IRA as a WA body and then tasks that body with making allocations for specific uses. Though I see enough grey area in "allocate for use" and the assignment of a specific frequency to a broadcaster to not make this problematic in that respect.

That said, entirely opposed anyway as both IC and OOC policy from me is 100% privatization in this sphere. A repeal of the prior resolution would be better. Something focused solely on emergency broadcasting or a dispute resolution system might be supportable, but creating bureaucracy for the sake of it is anathema.

That's the thing I think people may misunderstand: I don't view *this part of the game* and *novel extensions of international authority* as bureaucracy for the sake of it, I view it as creating international solutions to problems that I believe are better served on the international level.

I do like the idea of something on emergency broadcasting though, so barring that being addressed in Morover's recent Disasters thing, I may snipe that.
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Forward. Forever.
TNP Minister of Foreign Affairs

Desmosthenes and Burke
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 07, 2017
New York Times Democracy

Postby Desmosthenes and Burke » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:48 am

Hulldom wrote:That's the thing I think people may misunderstand: I don't view *this part of the game* and *novel extensions of international authority* as bureaucracy for the sake of it, I view it as creating international solutions to problems that I believe are better served on the international level.

I do like the idea of something on emergency broadcasting though, so barring that being addressed in Morover's recent Disasters thing, I may snipe that.

I do not misunderstand, I just think you are utterly incorrect at a fundamental level. As far as I am concerned you have not identified a PROBLEM that needs a solution (in toto, I can see sound arguments for emergency broadcasting and IDR mechanisms though I may not particularly agree with them), much less a problem that needs a government solution, and even less yet (to the point of complete non-existence) one that needs an international bureaucracy to impose a specific statist/government control management style.
N’oubliez pas l’hospitalité car, grâce à elle, certains, sans le savoir, ont accueilli des anges.

Idong
Political Columnist

Founded: Sep 14, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Idong » Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:32 pm

Our delegation is of the opinion that the IBC powers that allow it to intervene in member states' processes as described in Article 3 are infringing on member nations' sovereignty.

In our view, the body's powers should be limited to resolving disputes between member states and establishing technical broadcasting standards. Ideally, these powers would be added to the IRA by repealing and replacing GA532.
Last edited by Idong on Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hulldom
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 16, 2018
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Hulldom » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:16 pm

This is on hold for a bit, at least until Emergency Broadcasting Standards (hopefully) passes. It's also possible that the main thrust of this gets caught up in another idea of mine I plan to tackle during my Christmas break, in which case, this would be abandoned. In any case, On Hold.
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Forward. Forever.
TNP Minister of Foreign Affairs

Previous

Return to General Assembly