NATION

PASSWORD

[ON HOLD] International Broadcasting Consortium

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Hulldom
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 16, 2018
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

[ON HOLD] International Broadcasting Consortium

Postby Hulldom » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:43 am

I thought about this largely in reference to Tinhampton's idea regarding grants of rights of important events. I agree with her in that there should be some legal standard governing the area, but I fundamentally disagree with the how or the what. I'm focusing on the exoskeletal structure of broadcasting largely because this hasn't been done before outside of coordination regarding the Olympics, but even that doesn't exist in quite the same way. So, here's a novel extension of international authority for your enjoyment!

"My delegation happily presents this idea to the World Assembly. We are unsure as to whether or not this will garner your support, but we hope you will at least consider the idea."

International Broadcasting Consortium

Category: Education and Creativity | Area of Effect: Free Press

The General Assembly,

Recognizing the need for international jurisdiction in order to regulate, and keep pace with the dramatic changes occurring in the telecommunications sphere,

Noticing that while such a body exists for transmissions on the radio spectrum, telecommunications are not yet in the World Assembly’s remit,

Hereby enacts the following:

1. In this resolution, the subsequent terms are defined as follows:
    1. “Broadcaster” refers to any company, independent organization, or group, who sends out an audiovisual signal for consumption in member states.
    2. “Broadcasting regulatory authority” refers to a state-sanctioned or private body which has legal authority to enforce standards relating to telecommunications.
    3. “Standards” refers to legal norms or rules which govern an area or which limit the prerogative of an actor to act independently to determine their own legal norms or rules in an area.
    4. "Modality" refers to the form of a telecommunications signal.
  2. Member states with the requisite technology are required to create a broadcasting regulatory authority with powers over: spectrum or frequency allocations, content regulation such as the establishment of safe harbor periods, television advertising and sponsorship regulation, the creation of emergency broadcast systems or other similar means of notifying the public of dangerous situations, minority language programming, the creation and regulation of the modality of broadcast signals, and appropriate broadcasted content standards.
  3. The International Broadcasting Consortium, hereafter referred to as the IBC, is hereby created and shall have powers over the following broader policy areas relating to telecommunications.
    1. The mitigation, or resolution, of disputes between broadcasters, or prospective broadcasters, in member states.
    2. The guaranteeing of political impartiality in the frequency allocation, broadcasting license, and content moderation processes by member states.
    3. The formulation, and promulgation to member states, of emergency broadcasting standards.
  4. The IBC shall also have the power to craft and disseminate suggest standards over the following subjects in the telecommunications policy remit:
    1. The creation of international standards regarding broadcasts in minority languages, such as duration, content, and if applicable, settlement of disputes over the quantity, quality, or frequency of minority language broadcasts.
    2. The regulation of the modality of broadcast signals.
    3. Content standards, including the creation of safe harbor times.
  5. Nothing in this resolution requires a member state to begin, or halt, the transmission of a telecommunications signal.
Last edited by Hulldom on Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:16 pm, edited 7 times in total.
...And I feel like I'm clinging to a cloud!

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:49 pm

Hulldom wrote:The NOT IC Intro

<3

Alexander Smith, Tinhamptonian Delegate-Ambassador to the World Assembly: Firstly, how will Article 2 affect the possibility and scope of future World Assembly legislation on "advertisement... regulation?" And secondly, why should member states - never mind an International Broadcasting Consortium - seek to take control over the "content moderation processes" of social media websites?
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:17 pm

"This is an unwanted novel extension of international authority.

"Member states are well capable of dealing with all this themselves. Perhaps the only area worthy of the WA's attention would be some sort of dispute resolution mechanism relating to signal overspill between neighbouring member states.

"We certainly don't need the WA setting the appropriate time for the watershed, if that's what "safe harbor periods" refer to."
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Hulldom
Ambassador

Postby Hulldom » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:50 pm

Bananaistan wrote:"This is an unwanted novel extension of international authority.

"Member states are well capable of dealing with all this themselves. Perhaps the only area worthy of the WA's attention would be some sort of dispute resolution mechanism relating to signal overspill between neighbouring member states.

"We certainly don't need the WA setting the appropriate time for the watershed, if that's what "safe harbor periods" refer to."

“More guidelines for what can and can’t be shown, as broad as possible, sir. None of us want to sully young eyes with horrible images. But duly noted in terms of the dispute resolution mechanism.”

Bananaistan
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:51 pm

Hulldom wrote:
Bananaistan wrote:"This is an unwanted novel extension of international authority.

“More guidelines for what can and can’t be shown, as broad as possible, sir. None of us want to sully young eyes with horrible images. But duly noted in terms of the dispute resolution mechanism.”

"Not one person in Bananaistan cares what's shown on TV to children in other countries. This is entirely culture and nation dependent and absolutely does not require a one size fits nobody policy."
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Hulldom
Ambassador

Postby Hulldom » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:52 pm

Tinhampton wrote:
Hulldom wrote:The NOT IC Intro

<3

Alexander Smith, Tinhamptonian Delegate-Ambassador to the World Assembly: Firstly, how will Article 2 affect the possibility and scope of future World Assembly legislation on "advertisement... regulation?" And secondly, why should member states - never mind an International Broadcasting Consortium - seek to take control over the "content moderation processes" of social media websites?

“Okay have not formulated an opinion on your first point and will ponder it with our fine legal minds in the Hulldomian delegation. As for social media websites, If I need to make it clear I can, but this resolution only is meant to cover telecommunications, not internet regulations.”

“Hulldom is not renowned as a place of loons so I don’t believe any of us need worry about social media content internationally. His Eminence the Prime Minister is unlikely to go spouting off on the Twitter about ‘fire and fury’ as some leaders in the RealLife game have taken to doing.”

Pland Adanna
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 18, 2021
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Pland Adanna » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:23 pm

OOC: It's an interesting idea. I guess I'm just wondering why the WA should get involved in this. What's causing the "need for international jurisdiction"? To be clear, I'm not opposed; just want to understand it a little more.

Kurogasa
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 15, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Kurogasa » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:46 pm

Pland Adanna wrote:OOC: It's an interesting idea. I guess I'm just wondering why the WA should get involved in this. What's causing the "need for international jurisdiction"? To be clear, I'm not opposed; just want to understand it a little more.

OOC: because people in here want to turn the GA into the ISO.

Hulldom
Ambassador

Postby Hulldom » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:53 pm

Pland Adanna wrote:OOC: It's an interesting idea. I guess I'm just wondering why the WA should get involved in this. What's causing the "need for international jurisdiction"? To be clear, I'm not opposed; just want to understand it a little more.

I think it’s a novel extension of the WA’s powers and I’m a tad surprised, when I was researching this, that there was nothing to model it on-simply a 12 year old guide on regulatory law put out by UNESCO. The closest thing would be OFCOM and the FCC. In terms of a pressing need, I think, as a personal note, that regulatory harmony is something we should strive for and I think this could help us achieve it—both IC and OOC if it were ever created.

It’s no secret I’m not a Nat Sov guy, I’ve never been. While there are some times I’ve been put into that position as a result of poor argumentation, my IC orientation, as it is OOC, is fairly hardline (perhaps more so IC) in the realm of international federalism. When we can formulate novel, even if not pressing, ways to further integrate our nations in ways that are not actively harmful, I see no reason to not do it. This is an example of that.

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:54 pm

Opposed. Nations are perfectly capable of resolving disputes and whatnot themselves. They don't need the WA for this, and the WA doesn't need to get involved in this either.
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:01 am

OOC: Depending on the rest of GenSec's opinion, this might be illegal under the rules on WA committees because it specifies the proposed IBC's membership.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Hulldom
Ambassador

Postby Hulldom » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:10 am

Bears Armed wrote:OOC: Depending on the rest of GenSec's opinion, this might be illegal under the rules on WA committees because it specifies the proposed IBC's membership.

Banana mentioned as much in the WA Discord. That’s going to be in the next round of edits.

Hulldom
Ambassador

Postby Hulldom » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:20 am

Bump.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:40 am

OOC: It isn't a "Consortium" within the proper meaning of that term, especially now that the broadcasters' specific representation in its governance has [correctly, under the rules] been removed... "Commission", perhaps?
Last edited by Bears Armed on Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.

Bananaistan
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:40 am

"Is there a particular reason why member states a required to set up a sprawling bureaucracy for issues that they might well not wish to deal with it at all or can be dealt with through legislation and/or standard civil servants?"
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Hulldom
Ambassador

Postby Hulldom » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:46 am

Bananaistan wrote:"Is there a particular reason why member states a required to set up a sprawling bureaucracy for issues that they might well not wish to deal with it at all or can be dealt with through legislation and/or standard civil servants?"

"Notwithstanding our Delegation's focus on international cooperation in any, if not all, matter, we believe that something like this simply harmonizes approaches in regulation for all member nations."

OOC: As mentioned earlier, I'm pursuing this because I think it's a novel idea we haven't necessarily seen looked at it in quite this way before. We can role-play a legislature, one dealing with weighty international issues, and pursue things that might not otherwise be possible. The mere fact of something we want to pursue's impossibility is not something, in my estimation, which should preclude us from attempting it. There are no consequences for failure beyond a bruised ego here.

Bananaistan
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:52 am

Hulldom wrote:
Bananaistan wrote:"Is there a particular reason why member states a required to set up a sprawling bureaucracy for issues that they might well not wish to deal with it at all or can be dealt with through legislation and/or standard civil servants?"

"Notwithstanding our Delegation's focus on international cooperation in any, if not all, matter, we believe that something like this simply harmonizes approaches in regulation for all member nations."

OOC: As mentioned earlier, I'm pursuing this because I think it's a novel idea we haven't necessarily seen looked at it in quite this way before. We can role-play a legislature, one dealing with weighty international issues, and pursue things that might not otherwise be possible. The mere fact of something we want to pursue's impossibility is not something, in my estimation, which should preclude us from attempting it. There are no consequences for failure beyond a bruised ego here.

OOC: We're supposed to be an IC association of nations. No realistic government hands over power other than for a very good reason, such as benefiting trade. No realistic NS government hands over power for any reason beyond feel good liberal nonsense. This has neither feel good liberal nonsense nor any hard headed trade benefit. It is merely regulation for regulation's sake with no reason beyond this is something that the WA can do. I think you'll need a much stronger and less verbal diarrhoea justification if this is going to fly.
Last edited by Bananaistan on Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:02 pm

Bananaistan wrote:No realistic government hands over power for no good reason such as benefiting trade.

Is this for real? Or are you trying to say the opposite?

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Bananaistan
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:04 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Bananaistan wrote:No realistic government hands over power for no good reason such as benefiting trade.

Is this for real? Or are you trying to say the opposite?

:D The opposite. Benefiting trade is supposed to an example of a good reason.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Wrengoh
Envoy

Founded: Jul 16, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Wrengoh » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:45 pm

(since this seems to be draft for putting it out informally) OOC:

*From a real world case scenario, The McBride Commission Report had a similar intentions but implementation required a form of inevitable subjugation for both the Global South and World Powers. The opening up of most Private Southern Economies just continued (in cases increasing) Asymmetrical Broadcast.
*Most Nations pursue Telecom Policies vastly different from each other with respect to matters of decentralization, commercialization, privatization and (now) digitization. The duties and functions of a Nation's Communications Departments (Ministry) and its Regulatory Authorities would clash with the aims of an International Regulation.
*What say does this Body have on Ad Policies and Revenue? Does it propose Nations to comply to changes on matters concerning Advertisement?
*What is this Body's position on the formation and proliferation of Global Media Conglomeration?

Hulldom
Ambassador

Postby Hulldom » Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:18 pm

Bananaistan wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Is this for real? Or are you trying to say the opposite?

:D The opposite. Benefiting trade is supposed to an example of a good reason.

I think there's an argument to be made, I have no idea how much water it holds (I'm not an expert in anything really, especially not the parts needed for transmission of a television signal) that 3(b) could stop disputes between two member states in the event that a broadcaster in one member state chooses to try to operate in another-especially in an over the air setting, thus eliminating a potential avenue of dispute for allocation of those signals. (France 24, for instance, broadcasts over the air in the US in certain markets-sorry you'll have to click some buttons, there's no way to get the exact link showing it I don't think.) Additionally, the possibility of suggested guidelines in 4(b) for the modality of signals could simplify the process of telecom equipment creation, maintenance, and repair (given that states could be recommended, say, digital signals over analog or vice versa. Additionally, the IBC could also work to create standards for 4K broadcasting).

Hulldom
Ambassador

Postby Hulldom » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:43 pm

Bump. I think the main justification here, as I noted, is just the opportunity to try something new. However, surely it would be more efficient in any case to have a mediating body in the telecoms industry to settle interstate disputes, no?

Merni
Ambassador

Founded: May 03, 2016
Democratic Socialists

Postby Merni » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:34 pm

OOC: Don't articles 3b, 3c and 4b overlap somewhat with the remit of the International Radiocommunications Authority under resolution 532?
2024: the year of democracy. Vote!
The Labyrinth | Donate your free time, help make free ebooks | Admins: Please let us block WACC TGs!
RIP Residency 3.5.16-18.11.21, killed by simplistic calculation
Political Compass: Economic -9.5 (Left) / Social -3.85 (Liberal)
Wrote issue 1523, GA resolutions 532 and 659
meth
When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called 'the People’s Stick.' — Mikhail Bakunin (to Karl Marx)
You're supposed to be employing the arts of diplomacy, not the ruddy great thumping sledgehammers of diplomacy. — Ardchoille
The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion [...] but rather by its superiority in applying organised violence. — Samuel P. Huntington (even he said that!)

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:52 am

Hulldom wrote:Bump. I think the main justification here, as I noted, is just the opportunity to try something new. However, surely it would be more efficient in any case to have a mediating body in the telecoms industry to settle interstate disputes, no?

Except for the fact that such a high proportion of the states out there are not WA members and thus would be outside this body's jurisdiction...
And, indeed, wouldn't the existence of this body hinder member nation's attempts at negotiating arrangements about such matters with their non-WA neighbours?

Hulldom
Ambassador

Postby Hulldom » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:16 am

Bears Armed wrote:
Hulldom wrote:Bump. I think the main justification here, as I noted, is just the opportunity to try something new. However, surely it would be more efficient in any case to have a mediating body in the telecoms industry to settle interstate disputes, no?

Except for the fact that such a high proportion of the states out there are not WA members and thus would be outside this body's jurisdiction...
And, indeed, wouldn't the existence of this body hinder member nation's attempts at negotiating arrangements about such matters with their non-WA neighbours?

The problem with any attempt at international arbitration bodies made by this body is going to be that. I can reword it to only deal with arbitration/dispute settlement between member states though (which I'm rather surprised I didn't anyways).

Merni wrote:OOC: Don't articles 3b, 3c and 4b overlap somewhat with the remit of the International Radiocommunications Authority under resolution 532?

At a glance, I think I could understand where one got that impression, but I don't think so, no. 3b says nothing about actually allocating parts of the spectrum, merely that they'll guarantee the political impartiality of the allocation process (so the IBC wouldn't actually be doing the allocating). I see nothing regarding emergency broadcasting at all, much less talking about standards for that like in 3c. 4b I can maybe see, but that being said, I think the distinction in what's actually meant (in this case--analog v. digital) that I think it's a non-problem.
Last edited by Hulldom on Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly