NATION

PASSWORD

Afghanistan Conflict: Talibs Try Governing, NRF Strikes Back

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 23589
Founded: Oct 09, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gallia- » Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:14 pm

The Reformed American Republic wrote:
Gallia- wrote:
I'm saying that societies don't progress linearly. They exist within specific cultures.

If you argue that the Taliban are primitive you're falling into the trap that Edward Said mentions in Orientalism. The Taliban are primitive, feminine, effete, and barbaric. They need to be civilized by White Men who will brandish guns, shoot interlopers, and establish a reign that will convert these wayward savages to a more civilized and enlightened viewpoint. Except the British Empire and whatnot were clever enough to realize that the White Man's Burden is nonsense and just used their colonies for mineral wealth extraction. The United States has Mexico and Canada for this so it's hardly starved for imperial exploited labor forces.

It was just the US State Department unironically believing what a lot of people believe in this thread: That there is a white man's burden needing to be pushed onto the Pashtuns and Afghan Taliban because they are savages who live in mud huts or something I guess. It's raw, unironic colonialism with a tinge of benevolent racism. Yuck.

The Taliban are mostly savages, though I'm still for pulling out.


Yes, we know you're racist against Pashtuns. Most people can put that aside and hash out a deal with different cultures and belief systems, even if they find their beliefs distasteful, though.

You can't really reason with ISIS though, because they're ideological extremists, which is kind of like the United States State Department in a way.

User avatar
Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 17115
Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:14 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:Sure, wage slavery and karoshi are better than cutting hands off for looting. Whatever you say Sahib.


If you want to join the "shilling for the Taliban" train you can feel free to join Sai's and Chess's chorus.

This is the most weird insult I have received in my life and I'm not even from Afghanistan.

User avatar
Washington Resistance Army
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 50146
Founded: Aug 08, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Washington Resistance Army » Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:15 pm

Greco-Roman Pagan, Environmentalist, Agrarian, Revolutionary, Gun Manufacturer, State Socialist

User avatar
Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 22546
Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:15 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:Sure, wage slavery and karoshi are better than cutting hands off for looting. Whatever you say Sahib.


If you want to join the "shilling for the Taliban" train you can feel free to join Sai's and Chess's chorus.

Anyone who does not acknowledge the objective superiority of Western culture over the Asiatic barbarians is “shilling for the Taliban,” got it thx Salus
digitally lobotomized

User avatar
Diarcesia
Senator
 
Posts: 4514
Founded: Aug 21, 2016
Democratic Socialists

Postby Diarcesia » Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:15 pm


User avatar
The Temple of the Computer
Diplomat
 
Posts: 567
Founded: May 02, 2021
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Temple of the Computer » Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:15 pm

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:
If you want to join the "shilling for the Taliban" train you can feel free to join Sai's and Chess's chorus.

This is the most weird insult I have received in my life and I'm not even from Afghanistan.

Sai and Chess are also probably not from Afghanistan, and yet they still defend it.
#FreeNSGRojava

User avatar
Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 24578
Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Salus Maior » Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:15 pm

Chess Guy wrote:
Luminesa wrote:Bro, sending people into this country run by the Taliban is sending them to their deaths. I don’t think you realize that the idea you have is about as logical as Jefferson’s idea to send African-Americans back to Ghana and Nigeria.

How many African Americans do the Taliban kill compared to American police?


I'd say that's more of a matter of opportunity than unwillingness.

Somehow I doubt the Taliban would treat African American culture and trends very kindly if they were ruling over them.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

User avatar
The Reformed American Republic
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5875
Founded: May 23, 2020
Democratic Socialists

Postby The Reformed American Republic » Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:15 pm

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:
The Reformed American Republic wrote:And I'm supposed to care? Though I am going to say a society that doesn't cut off hands is better than one that does.

Sure, wage slavery and karoshi are better than cutting hands off for looting. Whatever you say Sahib.

It is absolutely amusing to watch you effectively defend practices that you obviously do not agree with just because a westerner is judging them. I see that some progressives do have positions that fit right into conservative stereotypes.
Populist and non-Trumpian Nationalist
Racist for saying mean things about the Taliban
Here to stay whether you like me or not.
Vaccines should be mandatory for anyone medically able.

User avatar
Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 17115
Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:16 pm

The Temple of the Computer wrote:
Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:This is the most weird insult I have received in my life and I'm not even from Afghanistan.

Sai and Chess are also probably not from Afghanistan, and yet they still defend it.

>Defending Talibs
>A Han ethnoid.
>Me
*sensible chuckle*
Last edited by Austria-Bohemia-Hungary on Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Chess Guy
Secretary
 
Posts: 39
Founded: Aug 15, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Chess Guy » Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:16 pm

Ngl there are some pretty based infidels in this thread

User avatar
Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 17115
Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:17 pm

I didn't know we had this many Victorians amongst us even in 2021.

User avatar
Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 24578
Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Salus Maior » Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:17 pm

Senkaku wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:
If you want to join the "shilling for the Taliban" train you can feel free to join Sai's and Chess's chorus.

Anyone who does not acknowledge the objective superiority of Western culture over the Asiatic barbarians is “shilling for the Taliban,” got it thx Salus


If we don't see the Taliban as objectively a worse outcome for Afghanistan why is anyone upset?

Why isn't this being met with a unanimous "meh"? Instead of going on for pages as it is.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

User avatar
Diarcesia
Senator
 
Posts: 4514
Founded: Aug 21, 2016
Democratic Socialists

Postby Diarcesia » Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:17 pm

The Reformed American Republic wrote:
Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:Sure, wage slavery and karoshi are better than cutting hands off for looting. Whatever you say Sahib.

It is absolutely amusing to watch you effectively defend practices that you obviously do not agree with just because a westerner is judging them. I see that some progressives do have positions that fit right into conservative stereotypes.

Swing and a miss.

If the US assumes that Taliban would think and work on Western norms and mores the past 20 years, then that's probably why they failed.

User avatar
Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 22546
Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:17 pm

The Reformed American Republic wrote:
Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:Sure, wage slavery and karoshi are better than cutting hands off for looting. Whatever you say Sahib.

It is absolutely amusing to watch you effectively defend practices that you obviously do not agree with just because a westerner is judging them. I see that some progressives do have positions that fit right into conservative stereotypes.

Oh my god they’re not “defending” anything the Taliban is doing they’re saying you’re a violently ignorant hick with such a blinkered view of the world that you can’t process a military-political setback for the empire you blindly worship without degrading its enemies as subhuman barbarians without a culture
digitally lobotomized

User avatar
Punished UMN
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5177
Founded: Jul 05, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:17 pm

Gallia- wrote:
The Reformed American Republic wrote:The Taliban are mostly savages, though I'm still for pulling out.


Yes, we know you're racist against Pashtuns. Most people can put that aside and hash out a deal with different cultures and belief systems, even if they find their beliefs distasteful, though.

You can't really reason with ISIS though, because they're ideological extremists, which is kind of like the United States State Department in a way.

Reminds me of an observation, I believe by Schmitt, that liberals are one of the few groups incapable of negotiating the end to a war, because liberal ideology fundamentally does not acknowledge the legitimacy of its enemies to negotiate peace, and so the only form of peace a liberal can accept is the total destruction of the groups it views as its enemies. While less idealistic ideologies are inclined to view war as a matter of conflicting interests, liberals don't accept that their enemies have legitimate, strategic interests, only that they, as a people, are barbaric and must be crushed.
Eastern Orthodox Christian. Prudish. Low-key bisexual. Purgatorial universalist.
Ascended beyond politics, now metapolitics is my best friend. Absolute pacifist. Proud member of the Napoleon Bonaparte fandom.
I have borderline personality disorder, if I overreact to something, try to approach me after the fact and I'll apologize.
The political compass is like hell: if you find yourself on it, keep going.
Pro: The fundamental dignitas of the human spirit as expressed through its self-actualization in theosis. Anti: Faustian-Demonic Space Anarcho-Capitalism with Italo-Futurist Characteristics

User avatar
Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 17115
Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:18 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Senkaku wrote:Anyone who does not acknowledge the objective superiority of Western culture over the Asiatic barbarians is “shilling for the Taliban,” got it thx Salus


If we don't see the Taliban as objectively a worse outcome for Afghanistan why is anyone upset?

Why isn't this being met with a unanimous "meh"? Instead of going on for pages as it is.

Because people has to motivate the twenty years America spent erecting cannons in Kabul with something.

User avatar
Great Algerstonia
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1858
Founded: Mar 21, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Great Algerstonia » Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:18 pm


I see military jeeps. I wonder what they're doing there... are they abandoning the country and attempting to flee, or guarding the plane?
"Nothing can stop us!" ~Ashli Babbitt

User avatar
The Reformed American Republic
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5875
Founded: May 23, 2020
Democratic Socialists

Postby The Reformed American Republic » Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:18 pm

Diarcesia wrote:And with regards to advocating cultural absolutism given the assumption cultural relativism is bad... it does seem coincidental that what is "right" happens to have a lot of overlap with what is Western. Curious. I'm talking about a seemingly unsaid implication that if cultural absolutism is correct, those values should be imposed.

This is some forms of leftism literally twisting itself into absurdity. I'm sure you would not tolerate if I wanted to impose sexist laws against women, but yet because they're brown Muslims they get a pass from you.
Last edited by The Reformed American Republic on Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Populist and non-Trumpian Nationalist
Racist for saying mean things about the Taliban
Here to stay whether you like me or not.
Vaccines should be mandatory for anyone medically able.

User avatar
Washington Resistance Army
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 50146
Founded: Aug 08, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Washington Resistance Army » Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:19 pm

Senkaku wrote:
The Reformed American Republic wrote:It is absolutely amusing to watch you effectively defend practices that you obviously do not agree with just because a westerner is judging them. I see that some progressives do have positions that fit right into conservative stereotypes.

Oh my god they’re not “defending” anything the Taliban is doing they’re saying you’re a violently ignorant hick with such a blinkered view of the world that you can’t process a military-political setback for the empire you blindly worship without degrading its enemies as subhuman barbarians without a culture


Sai and Chess very much are defending the Taliban. The latter is a straight up fanboy who thinks bin Laden was a hero and Sai is Sai.
Greco-Roman Pagan, Environmentalist, Agrarian, Revolutionary, Gun Manufacturer, State Socialist

User avatar
Unified Communist Councils
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 103
Founded: Jul 22, 2021
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Unified Communist Councils » Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:19 pm

It's become more than white man's burden, it is now mankind's burden to uphold civil and human rights— regardless of ones take on these aforementioned rights.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀〖⠀P.U.C.C.R | 统一的人民公社⠀〗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀『All Proles, emancipated in harmony, in Yan Sooyoung.』⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀「1 AAY, the first year of the Yoosungian Calender, commemorates the year a goddess rescued our dying world.」⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
OVERVIEW | MILITARY | PERSONS OF INTEREST | PUCCR INTERNATIONAL ANTHEM
【Seonjeon TV:】『Formalisation of the Energy Accounting System』 | 『Paibeu-Seutajeu Joint Venture develops Photonic CPU of the Future』|『Major Breakthrough in Room-Temperature "Cold" Nuclear Fusion After Decades of Research』|『Massive Military Operations in Hongli Borderland Region Weed Out 15% of ELID Infestation After 55 Days』

User avatar
The Reformed American Republic
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5875
Founded: May 23, 2020
Democratic Socialists

Postby The Reformed American Republic » Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:19 pm

Diarcesia wrote:
The Reformed American Republic wrote:It is absolutely amusing to watch you effectively defend practices that you obviously do not agree with just because a westerner is judging them. I see that some progressives do have positions that fit right into conservative stereotypes.

Swing and a miss.

If the US assumes that Taliban would think and work on Western norms and mores the past 20 years, then that's probably why they failed.

I'm for pulling out anyway.
Populist and non-Trumpian Nationalist
Racist for saying mean things about the Taliban
Here to stay whether you like me or not.
Vaccines should be mandatory for anyone medically able.

User avatar
Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 22546
Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:20 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Senkaku wrote:Anyone who does not acknowledge the objective superiority of Western culture over the Asiatic barbarians is “shilling for the Taliban,” got it thx Salus


If we don't see the Taliban as objectively a worse outcome for Afghanistan why is anyone upset?

Because murder and killing and repression are still bad, regardless of who’s doing them to who or why they’re doing it? Because regime overturns are scary periods where terrible and unexpected things can happen?

Why isn't this being met with a unanimous "meh"? Instead of going on for pages as it is.

I mean, at the highest foreign policy levels, it is. We just seem to have a lot of feelings about it, as you might expect after 20 years of arguing about it.
digitally lobotomized

User avatar
Saiwania
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 19784
Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Saiwania » Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:20 pm

Salus Maior wrote:If you want to join the "shilling for the Taliban" train you can feel free to join Sai's and Chess's chorus.


I'm just telling it like it is. I'm not on the Taliban's side ideologically, but can recognize that perhaps they're the best fit for Afghanistan if they have the local support and mandate to rule there. I don't have sympathy but could try to strive to have empathy with regards to them if they're not the same as ISIS.
Eco-Fascism is the future! I see a ton of potential for it going forward because of climate change. There will be need for a savior to rescue nature and ourselves from ourselves.

User avatar
Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 17115
Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:20 pm

Washington Resistance Army wrote:
Senkaku wrote:Oh my god they’re not “defending” anything the Taliban is doing they’re saying you’re a violently ignorant hick with such a blinkered view of the world that you can’t process a military-political setback for the empire you blindly worship without degrading its enemies as subhuman barbarians without a culture


Sai and Chess very much are defending the Taliban. The latter is a straight up fanboy who thinks bin Laden was a hero and Sai is Sai.

Not me though, I'm just enjoying the "Blinkered" Kiplingism with popcorn.
Last edited by Austria-Bohemia-Hungary on Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 23589
Founded: Oct 09, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gallia- » Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:21 pm

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:I didn't know we had this many Victorians amongst us even in 2021.


Yeah it's weird. Not even the Victorians were this racist IRL though. Actual Victorians could put aside their racism in exchange for real, actual gains, generally in material or political terms.

The United States just wants (wanted?) to wage holy war against anything it finds distasteful or ugly for some wild reason. Then it gets shocked when people disagree with it like they're wrong or something, because, tch, obviously. Even Vietnam, China, and Korea had the ostensible (if misguided) goal of stopping International Communism (a myth the State Department believed to exist and ignored the Sino-Soviet split). The Taliban war should have ended in December of 2001 at the latest when bin Laden fled to Pakistan.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Barfleur, Ethel mermania, Giovanniland, Google [Bot], Graag Brom, Gravlen, Herador, Holy Tedalonia, Just-An-Illusion, Kowani, Necroghastia, Nora Xent, North Washington Republic, Novos Zazprogidamos, Shokpos, The United States of Greater Texas

Advertisement

Remove ads