NATION

PASSWORD

[Suggestion] Average gas/petrol price world census ranking

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Dexterra
Minister

Founded: May 05, 2021
Civil Rights Lovefest

[Suggestion] Average gas/petrol price world census ranking

Postby Dexterra » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:31 pm

I think it would be cool if there were a stat that measured the average price for a gallon/litre of gas/petrol in each nation.

There's a number of things that could impact it:

- presence of cars and size of auto industry
- governmental focus on the environment and eco-friendliness
- the autarky, no cars, AI planning and climate treaty policies (plus others)
- legality of private enterprise
- economic freedom

and more.

Things/specific stats that gas/petrol prices could impact:

- environmental beauty
- health
- lifespan
- average income (general, of the poor and of the rich)
- average disposable income
- economic output
- wealth gaps
- public transport
- cheerfulness
- tourism

I apologize if this has been suggested before and I hope I'm not beating some unseen dead horse. But I think it would be cool to see each nation's average gas/petrol price

Edited to be more cosmopolitan
Last edited by Dexterra on Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

The Hazar Amisnery
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 26, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Hazar Amisnery » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:43 pm

Maybe call it petrol and use litre's instead.
News:
Nationwide cyberattack devastates core government infrastructure, but we will prevail.

Dexterra
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dexterra » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:48 pm

The Hazar Amisnery wrote:Maybe call it petrol and use litre's instead.

Perhaps that could be something you could toggle/switch between in settings? Or maybe it's reserved only for nations with the metric policy installed

Jar Wattinree
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 14, 2016
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Jar Wattinree » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:02 pm

Dexterra wrote:
The Hazar Amisnery wrote:Maybe call it petrol and use litre's instead.

Perhaps that could be something you could toggle/switch between in settings? Or maybe it's reserved only for nations with the metric policy installed

The Metric policy sounds like a good idea.
By the Holy Flaming Hammer of Unholy Cosmic Frost
I will voyage 'cross the Multiverse to fight for what was lost!
From this realm of nuclear chaos, to a world beyond the stars
I will quest forever onwards, so far;
I will wield the Holy Hammer of Flame!
Unholy cosmic frost!

Ecce Princeps Dundonensis Imperator Ascendit In Astra Eterna!

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:12 am

Why petrol, out of all possible products?

What about nations with electric cars, or that have banned cars, so that the price of petrol is of no real relevance to most citizens?

United States of Sarjania
Bureaucrat

Founded: Feb 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Sarjania » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:20 am

Price of electricity would be better and could be applied to more nations (Well, not the ones with only pre-Industrial Revolution tech)

For example, producing electricity with coal is cheaper compared to producing the same amount with a wind turbine, but coal’s effects on nature and climate are more severe. If nations want to sacrifice their environment for cheaper electricity, they can choose to do so, and the worsening air quality caused by burning coal could lead to protests for example, and the other way around.
Last edited by United States of Sarjania on Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Finnish Technophile | INTJ | Likes: Space, Tech, Biology, Art, Metal

Pro: Classical Liberalism, Environmentalism, LGBTQ, Technological Advancement, Exploring Space, Pacifism
Neutral: Religion, Use of Recreational Drugs
Against: Traditionalism, Religious Extremism, Isolationism, Nationalism, Neoliberalism

Merconitonitopia
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 29, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Merconitonitopia » Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:59 am

United States of Sarjania wrote:Price of electricity would be better and could be applied to more nations (Well, not the ones with only pre-Industrial Revolution tech)

For example, producing electricity with coal is cheaper compared to producing the same amount with a wind turbine, but coal’s effects on nature and climate are more severe. If nations want to sacrifice their environment for cheaper electricity, they can choose to do so, and the worsening air quality caused by burning coal could lead to protests for example, and the other way around.

Energy consumption would be a better measure.

United States of Sarjania
Bureaucrat

Founded: Feb 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Sarjania » Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:13 am

Merconitonitopia wrote:
United States of Sarjania wrote:Price of electricity would be better and could be applied to more nations (Well, not the ones with only pre-Industrial Revolution tech)

Energy consumption would be a better measure.

I agree, it would also be a good measure of how developed a nation is. It could be measured in gWh, because tWh would be too large.
Last edited by United States of Sarjania on Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Finnish Technophile | INTJ | Likes: Space, Tech, Biology, Art, Metal

Pro: Classical Liberalism, Environmentalism, LGBTQ, Technological Advancement, Exploring Space, Pacifism
Neutral: Religion, Use of Recreational Drugs
Against: Traditionalism, Religious Extremism, Isolationism, Nationalism, Neoliberalism

Dexterra
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dexterra » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:48 am

Trotterdam wrote:Why petrol, out of all possible products?

What about nations with electric cars, or that have banned cars, so that the price of petrol is of no real relevance to most citizens?

Gas/petrol is still used in things other than cars, for example, generators, lawnmowers, airplanes, farm equipment, boats, construction tools and more. Obviously for nations with banned cars, the price of gas/petrol is going to be significantly lower - but depending on, say, their agricultural sector or other industries that might use gas/petrol like mining, arms manufacturing or tourism, the price won't necessarily be zero.

I do like this idea. Maybe there could be issues that allow you to choose what forms of energy you want to invest in? I still think the price of gas/petrol could work as its own ranking since gas/petrol is used in so many other things than cars
Last edited by Dexterra on Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical