NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] One Strike and You're Out

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Nooooooooooooooo
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] One Strike and You're Out

Postby Nooooooooooooooo » Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:03 am

Okie dokie, I'm rebooting this idea I had from a couple months ago, which started out as an Among Us reference, and ended up being somewhat close to an issue, but obviously didn't make the cut. Any feedback is appreciated-- especially typos and grammatical errors!

[desc] The latest intelligence from the @@NAMEINITIALS@@IA has revealed that, after a @@DEMONYM@@ killed a very influential Blackacrean, the hostile nation of Blackacre is threatening to missile strike the Historic @@CAPITAL@@ Parliament Building, which currently contains classified information about many politicians.
[validity] None

[option] "How dare they!" snarls your Defense Minister, @@RANDOMNAME@@, as @@HE@@ builds @@HIS@@ LUGU Model Tank. "How dare they try to blow up such a great monument to our nation's history! Why don't we teach them a lesson and march over there and blow up their capital? See how they like it! Let's bomb 'em back to wherever they came from!" @@HE@@ goes on, yelling cliché war phrases.
[effect] foreign nations are considered missile test sites after one of their citizens tresspasses on @@DEMONYM@@ territory

[option] "Or we could not," hastily says your Minister of Foreign Relations, @@RANDOMNAME@@, as @@HE@@ fills out a scratch-off map of the world. "Let's think about this. Obviously, a murder is nothing to pass off as acceptable. But threatening to blow up the parliament building? Don't you think Blackacre might be bluffing? Maybe you could sit down with the President and work out some sort of deal-- with my supervision, of course."
[effect] the @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ Government replies to any foreign threat with "Prove it" and some coffee

[option] Suddenly, your phone rings. A voice from the other end says, "Yes, a deal would be nice... In fact, we have an offer for you. You quiety lay down your arms and we'll withdraw any threats. After all, human life is more important than government, isn't it? Just sign our agreement and you'll be fine." The voice hangs up and the room is filled with silcence.
[effect] the Government is ranked by the World Census as one of the most gullible

[desc] The latest intelligence from the @@NAMEINITIALS@@IA has revealed that, after a @@DEMONYM@@ killed a very influential Blackacrean, the hostile nation of Blackacre is threatening to bomb the @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ Space Station in revenge, which currently houses several @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ astronauts and valuable scientific data.
[validity] Must have a space program

[option] "How dare they!" snarls your Defense Minister, @@RANDOMNAME@@, as @@HE@@ builds @@HIS@@ LUGU Model Tank. "How dare they sabotage our plans to space domination! Why don't we teach them a lesson and threaten to hit their station? See how they like it! Let's bomb 'em back to Pluto!" @@HE@@ goes on, yelling cliché war phrases.
[effect] foreign nations are considered missile test sites after one of their citizens tresspasses on @@DEMONYM@@ territory

[option] "Or we could not," hastily says your Minister of Retrieving Belongings, @@RANDOMNAME@@, while @@HE@@ frantically searches for @@HIS@@ phone. "I have an idea. My subordinates and I could draw up a plan to go up there and rescue the astronauts and whatever scientific data we need, only to let the Blackacreans strike nothing of importance to us. And if you want, we could even put some fake guts and papers up there in order to trick them!"
[effect] some government ploys are literally out of this world

[option] "But what if they see us and bomb it while we're there?" replies your Minister of Foreign Relations, @@RANDOMNAME@@, as @@HE@@ fills out a scratch-off map of the world. "Let's think about this. Obviously, a murder is nothing to pass off as acceptable. But threatening to blow up a space station? Don't you think Blackacre might be bluffing? Maybe you could sit down with the President and work out some sort of deal-- with my supervision, of course."
[effect] the @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ Government replies to any foreign threat with "Prove it" and some coffee

[option] "Eh, whatever," interrupts your Minister of Apathy, @@RANDOMNAME@@, while fiddling with a toy rocket. "Why don't we just let it go? After all, it was just a space station. We already have documents and recordings of people's experiences up there, so it's not like we need any more. In fact, if they do bomb us, we could fish out the station from the sea and put it in a museum! Think about how much money we could-- er, how many people would come to see it!"
[effect] burned-out warehouses are declared national monuments

[desc] The latest intelligence from the @@NAMEINITIALS@@IA has revealed that, after a @@DEMONYM@@ killed a Blackacrean citizen, the hostile nation of Blackacre is threatening to bomb the @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ Space Station in revenge, which currently houses several @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ astronauts and valuable scientific data.
[validity] Must have a space program

[option] "How dare they!" snarls your Defense Minister, @@RANDOMNAME@@, as @@HE@@ builds @@HIS@@ LUGU Model Tank. "How dare they sabotage our plans to space domination! Why don't we teach them a lesson and threaten to hit their station? Let's bomb 'em back to Puto! To arms!" @@HE@@ goes on, yelling cliché war phrases.

[option] "Wait, not so fast" replies your Minister of Foreign Relations, @@RANDOMNAME@@, as @@HE@@ fills out a scratch-off map of the world. "Let's think about this. Obviously, a murder is nothing to pass off as acceptable. But threatening to blow up a space station? Don't you think Blackacre might be bluffing? Maybe you could sit down with the President and work out some sort of deal-- with my supervision, of course."
[effect] the @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ Government replies to any foreign threat with "Prove it"

[option] "Eh, whatever," interrupts your Minister of Apathy, @@RANDOMNAME@@, while fiddling with a toy rocket. "Why don't we just let it go? After all, it was just a space station. We already have documents and recordings of people's experiences up there, so it's not like we need any more. In fact, if they do bomb us, we could fish out the station from the sea and put it in a museum! Think about how much money we could-- er, how many people would come to see it!"
[effect] burned-out warehouses are declared national monuments
Last edited by Nooooooooooooooo on Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:44 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Dollystana
Envoy

Founded: Aug 31, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Dollystana » Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:05 pm

Spell check: Does Puto mean Pluto?
I like warrior cats uwu and having fun
Catocratic Constitutional Monarchy.
Economic -3.38 Social -5.28
My views are basically Scandinavia, that's all you need to know
the best book series Eat sleep read warriors repeat. Warriors Wiki
Self-appointed Warrior cat of F7 overvuwu The Truth Behind Area 51 All About Me

Stats not used
If you support cats, put this in your signature.
Perikuresu wrote:All of mothers are hamsters and all of your fathers smelt like elderberries

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:39 pm

Dollystana wrote:Spell check: Does Puto mean Pluto?

If it does then perhaps this should be replaced -- as in an already-existing issue -- by 'Fido'?
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Nooooooooooooooo
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Nooooooooooooooo » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:49 pm

Yep, thanks
Bears Armed wrote:

If it does then perhaps this should be replaced -- as in an already-existing issue -- by 'Fido'?

Hmmm… should I change it to “back where they came from?”

Drew Durrnil
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 30, 2020
Anarchy

Postby Drew Durrnil » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:34 pm

this issue is very sussy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! full support
also known as pacific shores
author of sc #434
professional slab worshipper
lieutenant of the south pacific special forces
2023 ananke award co-winner
Rosartemis wrote:DOWN WITH UEPU THOSE DAMNED RAIDERS!

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:45 pm

I think one thing that is missing for me here is a connection between the trigger (murder of one of their citizens by one of yours) and the dilemma (threats against your space station). Even accepting that Blackacre is a wildly erratic country prone to violent overreaction, I have trouble accepting a basic murder - something that probably happens a dozen times a day for them - as premise for a wildly expensive and thoroughly unrelated attack on a space station. The crime isn't worth the revenge.

I'd suggest seeing if there is a way to really provoke them to this kind of threat, while respecting player autonomy as you presently do. Why space? Once that baseline is established, I think that will help inform work on the options and effects.
Last edited by Verdant Haven on Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:14 pm

Verdant Haven wrote:I think one thing that is missing for me here is a connection between the trigger (murder of one of their citizens by one of yours) and the dilemma (threats against your space station). Even accepting that Blackacre is a wildly erratic country prone to violent overreaction, I have trouble accepting a basic murder - something that probably happens a dozen times a day for them - as premise for a wildly expensive and thoroughly unrelated attack on a space station. The crime isn't worth the revenge.

I'd suggest seeing if there is a way to really provoke them to this kind of threat,

Blackacre thinks that the space station is spying on them?
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Nooooooooooooooo
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Nooooooooooooooo » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:20 pm

Verdant Haven wrote:I think one thing that is missing for me here is a connection between the trigger (murder of one of their citizens by one of yours) and the dilemma (threats against your space station). Even accepting that Blackacre is a wildly erratic country prone to violent overreaction, I have trouble accepting a basic murder - something that probably happens a dozen times a day for them - as premise for a wildly expensive and thoroughly unrelated attack on a space station. The crime isn't worth the revenge.

I'd suggest seeing if there is a way to really provoke them to this kind of threat, while respecting player autonomy as you presently do. Why space? Once that baseline is established, I think that will help inform work on the options and effects.

I originally considered adding an option that shows that the person killed was highly influential, like a former president or someone. Maybe I could add that into the description?

The Marsupial Illuminati
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 24, 2016
Free-Market Paradise

Postby The Marsupial Illuminati » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:06 pm

I do not think this is realistic. Even North Korea, that nation with the most hyperbolic threats, does not threaten to blow up the International Space Station. It is simply not feasible nor practical. Why a bomb space station and kill five people when you can bomb a major city instead?
Last edited by The Marsupial Illuminati on Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ὁ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ

Nooooooooooooooo
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Nooooooooooooooo » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:14 pm

The Marsupial Illuminati wrote:I do not think this is realistic. Even North Korea, that nation with the most hyperbolic threats, does not threaten to blow up the International Space Station. It is simply not feasible nor practical. Why a bomb space station and kill five people when you can bomb a major city instead?

Hmm, do you think I could change it to @@CAPITAL@@ instead?

The Marsupial Illuminati
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 24, 2016
Free-Market Paradise

Postby The Marsupial Illuminati » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:23 pm

Nooooooooooooooo wrote:
The Marsupial Illuminati wrote:I do not think this is realistic. Even North Korea, that nation with the most hyperbolic threats, does not threaten to blow up the International Space Station. It is simply not feasible nor practical. Why a bomb space station and kill five people when you can bomb a major city instead?

Hmm, do you think I could change it to @@CAPITAL@@ instead?

I guess you could. That would be an entirely new issue.
Last edited by The Marsupial Illuminati on Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ὁ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ

Nooooooooooooooo
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Nooooooooooooooo » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:25 pm

The Marsupial Illuminati wrote:
Nooooooooooooooo wrote:Hmm, do you think I could change it to @@CAPITAL@@ instead?

I guess you could. That would be an entirely new issue.

Okay then

Drew Durrnil
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 30, 2020
Anarchy

Postby Drew Durrnil » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:33 am

I notice that this issue has not enough SUSSY. Add more SUSSY.
also known as pacific shores
author of sc #434
professional slab worshipper
lieutenant of the south pacific special forces
2023 ananke award co-winner
Rosartemis wrote:DOWN WITH UEPU THOSE DAMNED RAIDERS!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?