NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Repeal: "Preparing For Disasters"

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Morover
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

[PASSED] Repeal: "Preparing For Disasters"

Postby Morover » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:01 am

This is my repeal of Resolution 105. I have a replacement draft readily available here. Please keep any comment regarding the actual replacement of the draft in its designated thread, and keep this thread open for the merits of repeal or the actual critiques of the text of this repeal itself.

General Assembly Resolution #105 “Preparing For Disasters” (Category: International Security; Strength: Mild) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

The General Assembly,

Acknowledging and appreciating the good intentions of Resolution 105, “Preparing For Disasters,” in its aid to international coordination in the leadup to natural and artificial disasters,

Aware that Resolution 105 does a reasonably good job in achieving its goal,

Concerned, however, at several potentially negative implications reaching beyond the scope of the resolution, such as:
  1. Clause two mandating that the World Assembly Disaster Bureau provide “all the help that a nation requests in [inspections mandated],” regardless of the nation’s actual need of help, potentially opening the door for malicious states to drain the funds of the World Assembly General Fund by requesting unnecessary assistance that the Bureau is required to provide,
  2. Clause seven requiring the World Assembly Disaster Bureau to share research regarding technologies used to assist in responding to disasters with all nations, regardless of the nation’s World Assembly member status or any other potential applications of the technology, meaning that any research found by the Bureau that may prove hazardous or otherwise dangerous if in the wrong hands must be shared with all nations, including malicious actors,
  3. Clause eight instructing the World Assembly Disaster Bureau to work with all World Assembly organizations, regardless of relevance or necessity to the overarching goal of the Bureau, which could prove to be burdensome as the network of World Assembly organizations expands,
Believing that, regardless of whatever good Resolution 105 provides, the negative consequences that the language of the resolution allows necessitates repeal,

Hoping that, following the repeal of Resolution 105, a suitable replacement will be promptly passed, ultimately minimizing whatever negative effect will be felt by not having a resolution of this topic on the books,

Hereby repeals Resolution 105, “Preparing For Disasters.”

I'll have a replacement up at some point soon.

Some other talking points I didn't mention because I felt they were either so negligible as to be unimportant, or it is so ambiguous that the issue may run into the Honest Mistake rule:
Similar to my point i in the proposal, 2(a) does not specify that only member-nations can request aid, which may mean (depending on interpretation), that non-member-states can receive unlimited World Assembly aid on this topic.
Clause 2 should probably be more specific than just "regularly inspects"
2(c) prevents the WADB from sharing important information of an impending disaster to nearby nations, because it cannot share the information under confidentiality.
NGO, despite being used in clause 4, is never defined.
Clause 4 is mislabeled as clause 6.
5(a) runs into many of the problems that clause 2 does.
The resolution is generally poorly written, and the format is oddly laid out.

If you feel that any of these are appropriate to add to the actual repeal text, please let me know.

Feedback is welcomed and encouraged.
Last edited by Goobergunchia on Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:05 pm, edited 7 times in total.
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

Hanovereich
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 24, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Hanovereich » Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:10 pm

When you say 'Clause two', I believe you mean clause three. And what disaster-preventing equipment could possibly be used in the wrong way?
Last edited by Hanovereich on Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Morover
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:40 pm

Hanovereich wrote:When you say 'Clause two', I believe you mean clause three. And what disaster-preventing equipment could possibly be used in the wrong way?

No, I didn't. And to me, the point is less that any known disaster-preventing technologies could be used maliciously, and more the sense that if the WADB were to discover something, they would still be required to disseminate the research. I don't think this is necessarily out of the realm of possibility, especially given the fact that the resolution covers areas such as nuclear disasters, which I feel like research into could naturally lead to potential discoveries of mass destruction, and I think the WA should actively work to keep these discoveries out of the hands of malicious actors.
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

Hulldom
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 16, 2018
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Hulldom » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:05 pm

“Our delegation would like to see your proposed replacement of this text before confirming our support, but we tentatively support it on principle given the arguments you’ve advanced.”
Last edited by Hulldom on Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...And I feel like I'm clinging to a cloud!

Morover
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:22 pm

Hulldom wrote:“Our delegation would like to see your proposed replacement of this text before confirming our support, but we tentatively support it on principle given the arguments you’ve advanced.”

Darin Perise, President of the Morovian Department on the World Assembly, and leading author of this repeal.
"We appreciate your support, and I am not entirely sure if we have had the pleasure of meeting before. I certainly hope that we will be able to work together into the future."

Sebastion Crew, Political Instability Advisor for the Morovian Department on the World Assembly, and secondary author of this repeal.
"I echo the appreciation of my colleague, and would like to inform the Hulldomian delegation that I have just finished work on our proposed replacement of this resolution, which can be found up for debate three doors to the right of this room."
Last edited by Morover on Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

Morover
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:55 pm

OOC: Following critique by Honeydew on the WA Discord, I've fleshed out point ii to be a bit clearer as to why it's negative.
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

Morover
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:05 pm

I'm not attached to this at all, but I'm putting a tentative submission date of June 24 (one week from today) out there. If any significant issues with either this or my replacement come up, I'll push it back, but with regards to the repeal, I think it should be relatively straightforward so I'm not too worried. With that in mind - bring on the feedback!
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:35 pm

Morover wrote:Ia tentative submission date of June 24 (one week from today)

Or eleven months? Beware typoes :P
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Morover
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:01 pm

Tinhampton wrote:
Morover wrote:Ia tentative submission date of June 24 (one week from today)

Or eleven months? Beware typoes :P

One week, eleven months - what's the difference! But yes, I meant July 24, if it's all the same lol
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:31 am

OOC: I think many of your concerns are either not real concerns (gnomes supposed to be infallible, so they wouldn't make stupid mistakes, clause i.) or already remedied by other resolutions (like the patent one, for some research applications, clause ii.) or just non-issues in general (clause iii.).
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Morover
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:47 am

Araraukar wrote:OOC: I think many of your concerns are either not real concerns (gnomes supposed to be infallible, so they wouldn't make stupid mistakes, clause i.) or already remedied by other resolutions (like the patent one, for some research applications, clause ii.) or just non-issues in general (clause iii.).

Gnomes are infallible in carrying out the text of the resolution; if the resolution tells them to do stupid things, then they do stupid things infallibly. I also don't really see how the extant resolution on patents covers the issue on research. Clause iii is an incredibly small issue on its own, but it is an issue nonetheless, even if it does not make a case for repeal entirely on its own.
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:05 pm

"BPR supports this. The General Pit is not a bottomless fund."
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:07 am

Morover wrote:I also don't really see how the extant resolution on patents covers the issue on research.

OOC: The bit "technology [and/or] potential applications of the technology". Pure research, once published, is generally only a paywall question even in RL, but application of the information (technology) not to mention specific kind of application of technology, can be easily restricted without stepping on the toes of the target resolution.

Like, say, I know - as purely scientific information - how to enrich uranium and plutonium. Based on free Internet resources I even know where to find uranium (geological surveys ftw), but if I actually went out and mined some uranium and started enriching it, I'd get in serious trouble with STUKES to start with. It's because the application of the technology is restricted and requires permits and whatnot. (And I imagine was at least once upon a time, patented.) But that doesn't change the fact that all the necessary knowledge is out there freely available. Yet we're not drowning in terrorists using dirty bombs or nukes.

Bananaistan wrote:"BPR supports this. The General Pit is not a bottomless fund."

OOC: Then you should be hating this instead.
Last edited by Araraukar on Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Morover
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:20 pm

Araraukar wrote:
Morover wrote:I also don't really see how the extant resolution on patents covers the issue on research.

OOC: The bit "technology [and/or] potential applications of the technology". Pure research, once published, is generally only a paywall question even in RL, but application of the information (technology) not to mention specific kind of application of technology, can be easily restricted without stepping on the toes of the target resolution.

Like, say, I know - as purely scientific information - how to enrich uranium and plutonium. Based on free Internet resources I even know where to find uranium (geological surveys ftw), but if I actually went out and mined some uranium and started enriching it, I'd get in serious trouble with STUKES to start with. It's because the application of the technology is restricted and requires permits and whatnot. (And I imagine was at least once upon a time, patented.) But that doesn't change the fact that all the necessary knowledge is out there freely available. Yet we're not drowning in terrorists using dirty bombs or nukes.

So you're saying that instead of repealing, there should be World Assembly law about how nations can use research given to them by the WA? Then the issue remains that the information is instructed to be given even to non-member-states.
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:01 am

Morover wrote:So you're saying that instead of repealing, there should be World Assembly law about how nations can use research given to them by the WA?

OOC: There already is. The patent resolution. And various other regulatory resolutions.

Then the issue remains that the information is instructed to be given even to non-member-states.

That could be a legitimate problem, as it would use WA nations' money (through General Fund) to hand freebies to non-members. If only you'd used that reasoning, instead of the vague "wrong hands"... :P
Last edited by Araraukar on Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:35 am

Araraukar wrote:
Bananaistan wrote:"BPR supports this. The General Pit is not a bottomless fund."

OOC: Then you should be hating this instead.

OOC: I have more than enough hate to go around so it doesn't have to be hate of one resolution at the exclusion of all others.
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Morover
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:58 pm

Araraukar wrote:
Morover wrote:So you're saying that instead of repealing, there should be World Assembly law about how nations can use research given to them by the WA?

OOC: There already is. The patent resolution. And various other regulatory resolutions.

Then the issue remains that the information is instructed to be given even to non-member-states.

That could be a legitimate problem, as it would use WA nations' money (through General Fund) to hand freebies to non-members. If only you'd used that reasoning, instead of the vague "wrong hands"... :P

Well, fair enough. I think it's somewhat implied, but I guess it could have been more explicit. I appreciate the critique but I still think my issue regarding clause seven is valid, especially considering that I do not think that the patent resolution does what you claim it does - maybe I'm having another drastic misreading, but I simply don't get that.
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

URA World Assembly Affairs
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jul 09, 2021
Left-wing Utopia

Postby URA World Assembly Affairs » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:06 pm

The United Regions Alliance recommends that nations vote for this resolution. https://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatch/id=1577967
Representing the members of the URA in the World Assembly.

Currently run by Suvmia.

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Greater Cesnica » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:23 pm

The Europeian Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommends a vote For the General Assembly resolution, Repeal: "Preparing For Disasters".
Its reasoning may be found here.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch
WA Ambassador: Slick McCooley
Firearm Rights are Human Rights
privacytools.io - Use these tools to safeguard your online activities, freedoms, and safety
My IFAK and Booboo Kit Starter Guide!
novemberstars#8888 on Discord
San Lumen wrote:You are ridiculous.
George Orwell wrote:“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

The Free Humans
Civil Servant

Founded: Jul 18, 2019
Ex-Nation

The Free Humans agree

Postby The Free Humans » Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:35 am

"Important legislation like this can't be repealed over a few details that can be abused. At least, not without a suitable replacement ready. But after reading through the legislation provided, we believe that the WA can do better. You have our support." -Mistress Amara

Sylh Alanor
Envoy

Founded: May 10, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sylh Alanor » Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:52 am

While I'm for the idea of fixing old resolutions where needed, I genuinely think this is reaching. I've recommended an against vote.
Councillor of Culture, Refugia
she/her

Waldenes
Attaché

Founded: Mar 10, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Waldenes » Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:41 pm

“Hmm... we have decided to vote against this largely to set a precedent. Not long ago, the delegation from Tinhampton successfully passed a replacement before repealing the original proposal. We at Waldenes would like to see this become a regular practice.”
Last edited by Waldenes on Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Morover
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:04 pm

Waldenes wrote:“Hmm... we have decided to vote against this largely to set a precedent. Not long ago, the delegation from Tinhampton successfully passed a replacement before repealing the original proposal. We at Waldenes would like to see this become a regular practice.”

Darin Perise.

"This practice is not possible in nearly all circumstances, due to the legislative principles set in place by the founders and maintainers of this organization. In nearly all circumstances, save a select few, such as the ones that the Tinhamptonian delegation passed, such a replacement would not be allowed to be placed on the books of such World Assembly law when such relevant extant legislation remains there already."
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

Waldenes
Attaché

Founded: Mar 10, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Waldenes » Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:43 pm

Morover wrote:
Waldenes wrote:“Hmm... we have decided to vote against this largely to set a precedent. Not long ago, the delegation from Tinhampton successfully passed a replacement before repealing the original proposal. We at Waldenes would like to see this become a regular practice.”

Darin Perise.

"This practice is not possible in nearly all circumstances, due to the legislative principles set in place by the founders and maintainers of this organization. In nearly all circumstances, save a select few, such as the ones that the Tinhamptonian delegation passed, such a replacement would not be allowed to be placed on the books of such World Assembly law when such relevant extant legislation remains there already."

“I’m afraid I don’t understand, Ambassador. What specifically gave the Tinhamptonian delegation the rare legal precedence to do this, and where do issues of legality rise for other proposals to be made in this way?”

Morover
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:56 pm

Waldenes wrote:
Morover wrote:Darin Perise.

“I’m afraid I don’t understand, Ambassador. What specifically gave the Tinhamptonian delegation the rare legal precedence to do this, and where do issues of legality rise for other proposals to be made in this way?”

Darin Perise.

"Tinhampton's replacement and subsequent repeal regarding conversion therapy was different from this. There was inevitable overlap between the two resolutions, but Tinhampton's 'End Conversion Therapy' outlawed all forms of conversion therapy, and their repeal of Resolution 437 was not based on any actual flaws in the resolution, but rather that it proved useless when combined with End Conversion Therapy. Because End Conversion Therapy had more wide-ranging effects than 437, it was not deemed a violation of the legislative rules of this chamber. In this case, the target is fundamentally flawed, but the replacement will not go further in its scope, meaning that duplication is inevitable and the replacement would be struck down, since it almost entirely duplicates extant legislation."

OOC: This is an entirely OOC issue, but this is accurate - Tinhampton did good getting the replacement passed before the repeal, but it will not and can not become the norm because of the GA Rules.
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives