NATION

PASSWORD

[WITHDRAWN] World Assembly Jurisprudence Studies

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:18 pm

Daarwyrth wrote:
Bananaistan wrote:"Also on this internship thing. We do not believe that the WA should be promoting unpaid labour which can always only be a feasible option to those who are otherwise financially supported and actively acts against the international proletariat who do not have mammy and daddy paying their way while they lick some politician's arse."

Maria nodded in understanding and pursed her lips for a moment. "Would your delegation be for the removal of the Clause in its entirety, or to mend the Clause to be fairer? Such as paid internships?"

"Allowing students to get some form of practical work experience around here is a good idea I think. I would be quite hopeful that such students would be of a far higher calibre than the typical clowns that member states inflict on us here.

"Perhaps the clause could be turned around into a requirement that member states allow for a competition each year for this?"
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Daarwyrth
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:22 pm

Bananaistan wrote:
Daarwyrth wrote:"Allowing students to get some form of practical work experience around here is a good idea I think. I would be quite hopeful that such students would be of a far higher calibre than the typical clowns that member states inflict on us here.

"Perhaps the clause could be turned around into a requirement that member states allow for a competition each year for this?"

Vyn Nysen: "A reasonable approach. Perhaps it would be best left to the member states themselves to determine the nature of this competition, and merely require that a fair yet demanding competition be held to determine the candidates for internship?"
The Royal State of Daarwyrth
Forest's Minister of Foreign Affairs

Leader: Queen Demi Maria I | Capital: Daarsted | Current year: 2022 CE
  • Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male
  • Dutch with Polish roots
  • English literature major
  • Ex-religious gay leftist

Trellania
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 07, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Trellania » Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:39 pm

Daarwyrth wrote:
Bananaistan wrote:

Vyn Nysen: "A reasonable approach. Perhaps it would be best left to the member states themselves to determine the nature of this competition, and merely require that a fair yet demanding competition be held to determine the candidates for internship?"

"If you do this, can those be paid internships? I believe we will get far better results if those competing know they be paid for their time. Plus, the paid internships would make the program independent of financial background."

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:48 pm

Trellania wrote:
Daarwyrth wrote:Vyn Nysen: "A reasonable approach. Perhaps it would be best left to the member states themselves to determine the nature of this competition, and merely require that a fair yet demanding competition be held to determine the candidates for internship?"

"If you do this, can those be paid internships? I believe we will get far better results if those competing know they be paid for their time. Plus, the paid internships would make the program independent of financial background."

Vyn Nysen: "Our delegation would be keen to specify this form of internship would indeed be a paid internship, yet we are interested in hearing what other delegations think of this idea before we commit to it."

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Goobergunchia
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Goobergunchia » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:10 pm

We would enthusiastically support amendments to ensure that any and all persons who work for this body are properly compensated for their labor.

[Lord] Michael Evif
Goobergunchian WA Ambassador

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:58 am

A lot of education has little to do with human capital and instead has to do with signalling. See eg a discussion at https://pubs.aeaweb.org/doi/pdfplus/10.1257/jep.9.4.133. A non-competitive internship provides no effective signal for recruiters. Thus, after accounting for rational expectations, it wouldn't be anything higher flyers would want.

An internship open to all has problems beyond the lack of a strong signal: the amount of work you can assign to interns isn't actually that large, a massive number of interns relative to actual work means assigning them to make work tasks like copying or getting coffee, and larger numbers of interns mean higher administrative costs for quickly diminishing marginal benefits.

Edit. Eg why is the competition to go to YLS so strong? Hint: it doesn't have anything to do with YLS having a higher value add relative to HLS or some other T14 school. I also support the idea of a paid internship. Or at least a stipend for expenses.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Cereskia
Envoy

Founded: Apr 01, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Cereskia » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:02 am

Taliq Agung: This certainly is a defining moment in the history of the world Assembly, but should we teach rhe students Geopolitics along with Cosmopolitics?
About my Nation:
Overview | History | Geography | Politics | Military |Economy | International

GCRs suck, Epluribus Unum is an Overzealous Americanist, Hitler is Shitler, aaaaąăåäãâáàă
sample text
Overamericanism in the forums!!

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:19 am

Jylien Barwald, Press Secretary: "Our delegation has produced a new draft for this resolution proposal in which the commentary regarding the WA internships have been worked into."

Cereskia wrote:Taliq Agung: This certainly is a defining moment in the history of the world Assembly, but should we teach rhe students Geopolitics along with Cosmopolitics?

Barwald: "Could you elaborate this, Ambassador? Any material that would be taught to students would be focused on knowledge and skills revolving around the World Assembly itself. There will be elements of geopolitics in it, I am sure, but only to properly teach material relevant to the WA and its manner of functioning."
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:22 am, edited 3 times in total.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:27 am

Jylien Barwald, Press Secretary: "Our delegation is delighted to inform you that we have moved to a submission of this resolution proposal. As we eagerly observe the approval phase, we would like to express our profound gratitude to all who contributed to the formation of this proposal through their expertise, commentary and feedback. We are humbled and grateful."
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Coronational Chechyans and affiliates
Attaché

Founded: Jul 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Coronational Chechyans and affiliates » Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:52 am

It's pretty interesting. I don't know if it's necessary but I do think it's pretty neat. Support

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:21 am

Coronational Chechyans and affiliates wrote:It's pretty interesting. I don't know if it's necessary but I do think it's pretty neat. Support

OOC: As law students are among those who will lead the national judiciaries of member nations as judges, lawyers, prosecutors etc. etc., I think it is necessary for them to know the functioning of the World Assembly in and out, considering how many domains and areas of law as well as daily life are affected by the WA, its resolutions and committees :) a dedicated trajectory like the WAJS will be a tremendous help in that!
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:25 am

“That internship debate was rather engaging. I believe that it come to the correct conclusion. Having previously remained silent due to having nothing of substance to add to the legislation, I find that I still do not have any criticisms to offer. On that basis, I can see no reason not to support this proposal when it comes to vote. Though it is not obviously a matter of importance, the Daarwyrthian delegation has adequately explained the necessity of this proposal.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2017

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:40 am

"Our delegation shall support this resolution when it reaches the voting stage."
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch
WA Ambassador: Slick McCooley
Firearm Rights are Human Rights
privacytools.io - Use these tools to safeguard your online activities, freedoms, and safety
My IFAK and Booboo Kit Starter Guide!
novemberstars#8888 on Discord
San Lumen wrote:You are ridiculous.
George Orwell wrote:“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

Trellania
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Trellania » Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:11 am

"This proposal has the full support of Trellania."

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:21 am

Maria vyn Nysen smiles at all the expressions of support. "Thank you, Ambassadors. I'm glad this endeavour of ours is appreciated."

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:36 am

Alexander Smith, Tinhamptonian Delegate-Ambassador to the World Assembly: We would have been more supportive of this proposal had it given off an impression closer to "All law schools must teach about the World Assembly" rather than "All law schools must implement a curriculum component designed and packaged by the World Assembly." Although we respect vyn Nysen, we have no choice but to oppose her proposal as submitted... in the interests of sovereignty and the appearance thereof.
Last edited by Tinhampton on Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:50 am

Tinhampton wrote:Alexander Smith, Tinhamptonian Delegate-Ambassador to the World Assembly: We would have been more supportive of this proposal had it given off an impression closer to "All law schools must teach about the World Assembly" rather than "All law schools must implement a curriculum component designed and packaged by the World Assembly." Although we respect vyn Nysen, we have no choice but to oppose her proposal as submitted... in the interests of sovereignty and the appearance thereof.

Vyn Nysen: "It is unfortunate, yet we understand your nation and delegation need to be able to act according to their ideals, values and beliefs.

The reasoning behind our decision is to ensure that the education that this would impose would be of a relevant nature regarding the material. There are many aspects of the WA that could be taught to students, yet not all those aspects would be useful knowledge to law students. We felt that including an outline of what the courses should contain would help tertiary educational facilities in determining the shape of the educational courses and programmes, while leaving some room for them to give shape to it themselves."
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:35 pm

OOC: Thought of another question that's directly related to the wording, so asking it here: What does "academic competition" mean in the context?

Also, disappointed that 4.a. still requires payment to the student even if there are no expenses they needed to pay.
Last edited by Araraukar on Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:43 am

OOC: Withdrawn. No sense going forward if everyone is against it already. I really thought this could have been a positive and interesting idea to implement.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:02 am

Daarwyrth wrote:OOC: Withdrawn. No sense going forward if everyone is against it already. I really thought this could have been a positive and interesting idea to implement.

OOC: Who are against it? I count 6 or 7 open "support"s on the thread and 3 or so additional "with little changes, support"s (myself included). 1 or 2 uncertain/not necessary.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Trellania
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Trellania » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:06 am

Araraukar wrote:
Daarwyrth wrote:OOC: Withdrawn. No sense going forward if everyone is against it already. I really thought this could have been a positive and interesting idea to implement.

OOC: Who are against it? I count 6 or 7 open "support"s on the thread and 3 or so additional "with little changes, support"s (myself included). 1 or 2 uncertain/not necessary.

OOC: Apparently, a lot of regional votes were against it as well in regional discussions. There are a lot of people who see this as completely unnecessary or something nations should be doing already anyway.

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2017

Postby Greater Cesnica » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:06 am

Araraukar wrote:

TNP and other major regions.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch
WA Ambassador: Slick McCooley
Firearm Rights are Human Rights
privacytools.io - Use these tools to safeguard your online activities, freedoms, and safety
My IFAK and Booboo Kit Starter Guide!
novemberstars#8888 on Discord
San Lumen wrote:You are ridiculous.
George Orwell wrote:“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:13 am

Trellania wrote:There are a lot of people who see this as completely unnecessary or something nations should be doing already anyway.

OOC: ...that applies to the majority of resolutions that still passed. :P

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:46 am

Araraukar wrote:
Trellania wrote:There are a lot of people who see this as completely unnecessary or something nations should be doing already anyway.

OOC: ...that applies to the majority of resolutions that still passed. :P

OOC: But not when the major regions (like TNP, TSP, Rejected Realms etc.) already vote 'against' on their regional forums before the resolution is at vote in the GA. I'd rather withdraw and have another resolution take the spot than unnecessarily clog the voting floor.
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:08 am

Daarwyrth wrote:I'd rather withdraw and have another resolution take the spot than unnecessarily clog the voting floor.

OOC: Sensible.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly