NATION

PASSWORD

How do you keep NationStates interesting?

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.
BastiColler
Civilian

Founded: Jun 07, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby BastiColler » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:11 pm

I have created so many different nations, each with different scenarios which I've played out for a bit but then gotten bored of, given up on the game for a while, and then coming back with a new idea for a nation.

This time though I've had enough of this stop go cycle of nation building and now I want to stick with the one I've got. All I really do on the game is answer issues, simulate elections and update my nation's factbook in a Wikipedia-esque style. What can I do to make my NS experience more interesting and longer-lasting?
Last edited by Reploid Productions on Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Adbot links removed

KindaFreeXP
Secretary

Founded: Jun 01, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby KindaFreeXP » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:23 pm

BastiColler wrote:I have created so many different nations, each with different scenarios which I've played out for a bit but then gotten bored of, given up on the game for a while, and then coming back with a new idea for a nation.

This time though I've had enough of this stop go cycle of nation building and now I want to stick with the one I've got. All I really do on the game is answer issues, simulate elections and update my nation's factbook in a Wikipedia-esque style. What can I do to make my NS experience more interesting and longer-lasting?

There's a whole bunch of roleplaying threads in the forums where you can interact with other nations. Whether that's joining a war, engaging in diplomacy, sending athletes to compete in tournaments, or literally anything else you can think of. Heck, there's a bunch of non-Nation RP here as well if you're into that. And if it doesn't exist, you can start a thread for it and get it going!

Truth be told, I was in the same cycle you were until I started joining RP's. It took me a while to come around to it, since I am a bit of an introvert, but it really is a lot of fun. Now I've been able to narrow myself down to a small handful of nations that I RP with regularly to semi-regularly.

There are other things as well, such as raiding and defending regions, discussing politics/current events, and playing forum games, but I'd say the RP is the best activity to engage in involving your nation.

If you have trouble finding something you want to join let me know and I'll be more than happy to take a peek around the forums to see if I can find what you're after!
- - - What, you were expecting something funny or cool here? Maybe my political ideology? Sorry, all out. Try again tomorrow. - - -
Created to post in discussion threads and non-Nation RP as well as ties all my Nations together.

KindaFreeXP may or may not represent my ideologies, political or otherwise. (~uƠ )
Might also be Gongsi, East Osovia, Catalunya and Navarra, and/or Darlingtown.

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:27 pm

The forums honestly were what kept me on this site and helped break me free of that cycle (to an extent). While many nation concepts I have did not last long, especially early on, I have stayed on because I've engaged myself in debate on NSG, RPs in II and the NationStates forums, and because I developed a sense of belonging with my regionmates (many of whom I knew in my previous region) and with other communities.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Aerlanica
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 11, 2020
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Aerlanica » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:32 pm

Well, I'm in a pretty cool Region called the Cape of Good Hope. We do RP's and just chat and be crazy. But the main selling point is our casual RP's.

Honestly, so long as you can make it fun for everyone and don't make Mary Sue things, Hijack other people's nations and the like, it's fun for everyone. Right now there's an RP going on where an Underwater city is being researched, while a space war is going on between an ancient Empire and a coalition of other nations.

You can also use your Puppets to, but they stay in the Dreams of Good Hope; the place where we do the RP's.

Region RP's are especially fun IMHO, but I haven't really done any forum RP's.
Welcome to Aerlanica! the resident punching bag of the entire universe! God forsakes us, Hell hates us, Tech is stolen by us, fascists fear us and NS stats are ignored by us. Come for the democracy! Stay for the Fanaticism!

We don't "Steal Tech"

No no no no no.

We Secretly Transfer Equipment to Alternative Locations, and they just so happen to be your army's equipment...

...which we arbitrarily acquired without acquiring prior consent.

The Church of Satan
Minister

Founded: Apr 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Church of Satan » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:53 am

Plus a lot of regions hold festivals, contests, you can try getting involved in running regional governments, write for a region's newspaper (or start one yourself). You can search around for a region that suits you and dive right into its community's activities. There's still a lot to do if you look for it.
The Rejected Realms: Former Delegate | Former Vice Delegate | Longest Consecutively Serving Officer in TRR History - 824 Days
Free the WA gnomes!

Chanku: This isn't an election it's an assault on the eyes. | Ikania: Hear! The Gospel of... Satan. Erh...
Yuno: Not gonna yell, but CoS is one of the best delegates ever | Ever-Wandering Souls: In the liberal justice system, raiding-based offenses are considered especially heinous. In The South Pacific, the dedicated defenders who investigate these vicious felonies are members of an elite squad known as the Council on Regional Security. These are their proscriptions. DUN DUN.

The Hazar Amisnery
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 26, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Hazar Amisnery » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:00 am

I just run my region and do forum stuff like this. This is the only good browser game.
News:
Nationwide cyberattack devastates core government infrastructure, but we will prevail.

Jinwoy
Senator

Founded: May 30, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Jinwoy » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:05 am

Maybe try a creative outlet, like flag making/map making for people. There's lots of ways to express the full color of the nations you create, because NS itself is so open with the interpretation of what your nation is.

Obviously getting more involvement in the community definitely helps. Maybe talk around? Join the community threads? Make some gaming/DC friends?
Of course, with any hobby (and I am using the term loosely here, don't look at me like that) there is a time sacrifice. If you do choose to get more involved with the community, RP aspect, etc., then great! But remember that you'll be using that time at the expense of another activity, maybe one more important.

If you find yourself getting bored with NS, then no issue (heh) either - find something else to do. Maybe, some sort of political activity; anything from amateur journalism to non-violent protest and everything in-between. If you find yourself genuinely returning to NS to play around for a while, maybe take a note of the aspects you like that keep you returning. It'll help you stay a little more consistent.

Whatever you do, goodluck with it!
10 13! Years of Jinwoy
Only 8 years left until I can legally buy alcohol
Late-twenties/Straight White Male/Annoyingly Mildly Accelerationist
Hot Take: France is actually pretty cool, aside from all the neocolonialism and institutional racism. Paris still sucks.

Deacarsia
Ambassador

Founded: May 12, 2019
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Deacarsia » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:10 am

In addition to participating in the game itself, I spend time developing my nation further and making it more detailed. I also made friendly connections with other players on the site, including socializing on on-site and off-site platforms. It really is up to you to make it interesting for yourself.
Visit vaticancatholic.com

Extra Ecclésiam nulla salus

Warzone Codger
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 30, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Warzone Codger » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:42 am

NS got a lot more interesting for me but I accepted that it is not about fun.

It is interesting when I treat it as part of my life and it is about pushing though whether it is fun or boring or whatever.
Warwick Z Codger the Warzone Codger.
Warzone Pioneer | Peacezone Philosopher | Scourge of Polls | Forever Terror Officer of TRR
GA #121: Medical Facilities Protection | SC #183: Commend Haiku | Commended by SC #87: Commend Warzone Codger

Wille-Harlia
Attaché

Founded: Apr 09, 2020
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Wille-Harlia » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:24 am

I keep things interesting by participating in regional government/events.
Posts are OOC unless marked otherwise.
My posts are not the views of any NS region, organization, or other group unless marked as such.
Minister to the World Assembly: John J. Hill

Government Positions:
Former Senior Senator for Himes West, 10000 Islands (RP Moderator)
Minister of Labor, 10000 Islands
Registrar-General & Chief of Staff to the Founder, 10000 Islands

The Dodo Republic
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 22, 2021
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Dodo Republic » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:26 am

My region probably
Birds are government drones. The media has lied to you this whole time. Well, good morning good afternoon good evening nationstates. Long Island born and raised liberal conservative, actor, singer, history enthusiast (I know original), antique simp, fan of prehistory and especially dodos. Have a good day everybody :)

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:51 pm

Mostly by crushing my enemies, see them driven before me, and hear the lamentations of the trolls!

I might have watched Conan the Baarbaarian last night.
The Blaatschapen should resign

Queen Yuno
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 30, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Queen Yuno » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:33 pm

you just look around and see what's out there.

I made some cool friends from this game.
Stop giving misogynistic abusers a platform. Anyone who sides with Tiktok Star Andrew Tate even 1% of what he says will be treated as enemy who should be shamed out of society. Impressions+Views+Videowatches=$. Nothing he says is new or revolutionary. I don't care if he said "some good stuff", it's still bad because: the more you watch him, the more ad revenue MONEY and algorithm BOOSTS you're giving him to traffick victims. And don't say the victim lied, a young man stupidly told me that the victim confessed to lying, I told em to link me proof, articles or the Audio of her confession, he googled and found 0 proof 0 articles, and he realized he was spreading fake rumors he heard and BELIEVED without fact-check. Don't brand victims as liars without GOOGLING. Debated here

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:38 pm

BastiColler wrote:This time though I've had enough of this stop go cycle of nation building and now I want to stick with the one I've got.

*sees that the OP got DEATed*

Well, this post certainly aged like milk.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:41 pm

The OP was an adspammer, but the thread was left open as there was some decent discussion emerging.

Caedmare
Civil Servant

Founded: Apr 12, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Caedmare » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:51 pm

Well thank you for the hard work mods.

I was going to post a small recruitment of my region, but it seems that's out the door.

For anyone left that is interested in a well rounded, active and realist roleplay, please visit my regio
Last edited by Caedmare on Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jazksrkeal
Civil Servant

Founded: May 28, 2018
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Jazksrkeal » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:47 pm

Sedgistan wrote:The OP was an adspammer, but the thread was left open as there was some decent discussion emerging.

Who are you to pass judgement on how they made NS interesting for themselves! :p

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay