NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Prohibition Of Unwarranted Digital Surveillance

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Greater Cesnica » Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:29 pm

"I have changed my approach to the definitions substantially to adhere to some advice I received outside of this Chamber. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated."
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch
WA Ambassador: Slick McCooley
Firearm Rights are Human Rights
privacytools.io - Use these tools to safeguard your online activities, freedoms, and safety
My IFAK and Booboo Kit Starter Guide!
novemberstars#8888 on Discord
San Lumen wrote:You are ridiculous.
George Orwell wrote:“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:12 pm

"We are opposed. This is the internet equivalent of preventing a nation's security services from looking out the window and effectively prevents them from using the internet. Requiring a warrant to use a search engine or to pick up any of the information that people freely leave about themselves all over the internet, EG IP addresses, social media posts, etc. The far more devastating part of this effective ban is how it would prevent monitoring of dark web criminals and paedophiles. Just how can police get a warrant before they have collected any evidence that a crime has been committed?"
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:31 am

Bananaistan wrote:"We are opposed. This is the internet equivalent of preventing a nation's security services from looking out the window and effectively prevents them from using the internet. Requiring a warrant to use a search engine or to pick up any of the information that people freely leave about themselves all over the internet, EG IP addresses, social media posts, etc. The far more devastating part of this effective ban is how it would prevent monitoring of dark web criminals and paedophiles. Just how can police get a warrant before they have collected any evidence that a crime has been committed?"

"I failed to add the word 'private' in my definition of digital surveillance. That has been rectified. Thus, that should alleviate concerns about the search engine conundrum. As for your later point about dark web criminals and pedophiles, it should be noted that a substantial amount of such illicit digital communications occur in the public sphere. That is, much of the content pertaining to the illlcit firearms, drugs, counterfeiting, child abuse, forging industries, etc. can be found through dark web search engines. Law enforcement may then have suspicion that offenses are being committed. Then, a warrant can be issued."
Last edited by Greater Cesnica on Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch
privacytools.io - Use these tools to safeguard your online activities, freedoms, and safety
George Orwell wrote:“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:59 am

Against. This would hamper Thermodolia’s entire state security apparatus
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:22 am

Thermodolia wrote:Against. This would hamper Thermodolia’s entire state security apparatus

IC: "Alas, this resolution is intended to limit such intrusive security apparatuses."
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch

Great Algerstonia
Minister

Founded: Mar 21, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Algerstonia » Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:25 am

Thermodolia wrote:Against. This would hamper Thermodolia’s entire state security apparatus

"Agreed, state surveillance is imperative to catching enemies of the state. If this resolution were to pass, Algerstonia will become far more unstable, goddamnit."

~Admiral-Ambassador Alec Ainsworth, while sadly wondering if this will be the last week he gets to fly his custom surveillance drone.
Anti: Russia
Pro: Prussia
Resilient Acceleration wrote:After a period of letting this discussion run its course without my involvement due to sheer laziness and a new related NS project, I have returned with an answer and that answer is Israel.

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:32 am

Great Algerstonia wrote:

"Agreed, state surveillance is imperative to catching enemies of the state. If this resolution were to pass, Algerstonia will become far more unstable, goddamnit."

~Admiral-Ambassador Alec Ainsworth, while sadly wondering if this will be the last week he gets to fly his custom surveillance drone.

McCooley smirks. "Admiral-Ambassador, I've heard about those drones you fly over in Algerstonia. Nifty things. Well, if you want to be able to use them in the event that this draft of mine becomes international legislation, you can always get a warrant and perform necessary surveillance that way."
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:58 pm

OOC: If no further issues are raised, I'll submit this tomorrow.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:03 pm

“You should have a comma after ‘categorisation’ and before ‘and’ in clause 3a. Other than that, I have no objections to this. Unless any are raised, this legislation will have my full support.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:07 pm

Kenmoria wrote:“You should have a comma after ‘categorisation’ and before ‘and’ in clause 3a. Other than that, I have no objections to this. Unless any are raised, this legislation will have my full support.”

"Interestingly enough, I have been advised by the delegation from Imperium Anglorum that such a comma is unnecessary."

OOC: Since those clauses comprise a two-piece list, a comma between them wouldn't be necessary.
Last edited by Greater Cesnica on Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:12 pm

Greater Cesnica wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:“You should have a comma after ‘categorisation’ and before ‘and’ in clause 3a. Other than that, I have no objections to this. Unless any are raised, this legislation will have my full support.”

"Interestingly enough, I have been advised by the delegation from Imperium Anglorum that such a comma is unnecessary."

OOC: Since those clauses comprise a two-piece list, a comma between them wouldn't be necessary.

(OOC: I always like to put commas in long two-items lists for clarity, but you are correct that there is no actual grammatical need. Consider that objection withdrawn.)
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

The Provincial Union of the Pacific
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 25, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Provincial Union of the Pacific » Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:14 pm

Is this outright banning public surveillance too? The use of cameras in public areas often lead to the apprehension and even acquittal for the accused.

I've seen surveillance used in good and bad ways, the good outnumber the bad for me so I can't support something like this. The biggest example of good is their use in catching criminals either in the act or fleeing from it and also if someone says they were, for example; at the bank and could not have committed the crime and the cameras show that they were, in fact, at the bank at the time it happened then that proves their innocence. I understand you said CCTV would be exempt but there are examples in not-so-private areas.

A major disadvantage of surveillance, however, is its use against people in totalitarian regimes where any word against the government is considered treason. For matters like this I can agree that surveillance may need to be limited a bit but not completely banned.
Posted by the
Department of the Sovereign State
of the
Provincial Union of the Pacific, Atlantic, and Indian Oceans

H.H.M. Alexander / H.V.M. Grace
King and Queen of the Provincial Union
M.A. Alice N. Crawford
President of the Provincial Union
Dr. Victor V. Larsen, First Minister / M.A. Thomas E. Lutz, Minister Chief / Ms. Safiya L. Nazari, Principal-in-Chief
All international inquiries will be handled by the Department of the Sovereign State

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:17 pm

The Provincial Union of the Pacific wrote:Is this outright banning public surveillance too? The use of cameras in public areas often lead to the apprehension and even acquittal for the accused.

I've seen surveillance used in good and bad ways, the good outnumber the bad for me so I can't support something like this. The biggest example of good is their use in catching criminals either in the act or fleeing from it and also if someone says they were, for example; at the bank and could not have committed the crime and the cameras show that they were, in fact, at the bank at the time it happened then that proves their innocence. I understand you said CCTV would be exempt but there are examples in not-so-private areas.

A major disadvantage of surveillance, however, is its use against people in totalitarian regimes where any word against the government is considered treason. For matters like this I can agree that surveillance may need to be limited a bit but not completely banned.

"Cameras at banks would not be operated by member states, I would presume. And the other instances are covered by the publically accessible exemption."
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch

Daarwyrth
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:21 pm

Dame Maria vyn Nysem, WA Representative of Daarwyrth: "Our delegation recognises the growth of this proposal draft as feedback and time moved forward. The current version of the proposal is in a state where our delegation as well as the Royal State would be able to support it. The question of necessity regarding the international scale of the WA does flare up in the back of my mind, as this isn't necessarily an international issue. Nonetheless, our delegation is willing to accept and support this effort, as it has a good intent and in our opinion applies that intent reasonably to a workable proposal. I will advise my Queen to move to a vote 'for' when this reaches the floor."
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Royal State of Daarwyrth
Forest's Minister of Foreign Affairs

Leader: Queen Demi Maria I | Capital: Daarsted | Current year: 2022 CE
  • Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male
  • Dutch with Polish roots
  • English literature major
  • Ex-religious gay leftist

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:56 pm

Daarwyrth wrote:Dame Maria vyn Nysem, WA Representative of Daarwyrth: "Our delegation recognises the growth of this proposal draft as feedback and time moved forward. The current version of the proposal is in a state where our delegation as well as the Royal State would be able to support it. The question of necessity regarding the international scale of the WA does flare up in the back of my mind, as this isn't necessarily an international issue. Nonetheless, our delegation is willing to accept and support this effort, as it has a good intent and in our opinion applies that intent reasonably to a workable proposal. I will advise my Queen to move to a vote 'for' when this reaches the floor."

"Thank you very much, Ambassador vyn Nysem."

OOC: Restricted foreign digital surveillance gathering to foreign government entities and/or entities that actively pose a threat to national security. The same time frame for submission applies.
Last edited by Greater Cesnica on Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:25 am

"Our delegation has formally submitted this resolution."
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:19 am

OOC: A question: would a monitoring program on a state-issued piece of electronics (like laptop) given to someone who works for the state, be allowed, if the monitoring program's presence is known to the person using the device and they have signed an agreement saying they know it's there and are fine to have it there?

In my understanding most "work machines" by state workers who have access to privileged information, contain such programs in RL and even with the fairly tight privacy regs of the EU nations, they are perfectly legal.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:23 am

Araraukar wrote:OOC: A question: would a monitoring program on a state-issued piece of electronics (like laptop) given to someone who works for the state, be allowed, if the monitoring program's presence is known to the person using the device and they have signed an agreement saying they know it's there and are fine to have it there?

OOC: Yes.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch

Herby
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Herby » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:18 pm

Ehhhhh hang on a minute bub. The way this written it seems that it would prevent us from recording incoming telephone calls. Am I wrong? Phone calls certainly aren’t public.
-- Ambassador #53. From the nation of Herby. But you can call me Herby.

Herby's doors and windows are ALWAYS locked when she's in the Strangers' Bar (unless she unlocks them for you). And, she has no accelerator, a mock steering wheel, and no gear shifter. So, no joyrides.

Beta Cyndriel
Political Columnist

Founded: Nov 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Beta Cyndriel » Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:42 am

We find ourselves opposed.

The precise wording of Section 2c is broad enough to exclude incidental data or evidence discovered on secondary sources such as social media, streaming, public broadcasts, and so on from use in legal judgements or national security, on the grounds that it was "not originally gathered for those purposes".

For the Tricameral, D. Makepeace, Regent

The Hazar Amisnery
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 26, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Hazar Amisnery » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:09 am

What about using digital surveillance for public surveillance? Its safer and easier than having police officers roaming the streets. Its not an invasion of privacy if its in public places. This WA is making the world all happy and gooey and when an actual crisis occurs no one will be able to do anything because its illegal
WA delegate of The European Commonwealth of Nations
committed a crime in Europe, sorry Yahlia
pls join my region we are dying
“Beware the barrenness of a busy life”

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:35 am

Beta Cyndriel wrote:We find ourselves opposed.

The precise wording of Section 2c is broad enough to exclude incidental data or evidence discovered on secondary sources such as social media, streaming, public broadcasts, and so on from use in legal judgements or national security, on the grounds that it was "not originally gathered for those purposes".

For the Tricameral, D. Makepeace, Regent

"Such use is possible with a warrant. Furthermore, there is nothing stopping the government from performing warrantless surveillance of such public mediums if it is for spying or prosecutorial purposes."
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch

Laka Strolistandiler
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 14, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Laka Strolistandiler » Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:38 am

Obraztsova: Opposed on basis that it would hamper Lakan Internal Intelligence Ministry operations especially in wartime. Furthermore search engine limitation seem a bit too absurd...
*whispering* God, please, don’t let this pass, I don’t want to be disposed off...
Last edited by Laka Strolistandiler on Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
||||||||||||||||||||
I am not a Russian but a Cameroonian born in this POS.
An autocratic semi feudal monarchy with elements of aristocracy. Society absurdly hierarchical, cosplaying Edwardian Britain. A British-ish colonial empire incorporating some partially democratic nations who just want some WMD’s
Pronouns up to your choice I can be a girl if I want to so refer to me as she/her.
I reserve the right to /stillme any one-liners if my post is at least two lines long

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:39 am

Herby wrote:Ehhhhh hang on a minute bub. The way this written it seems that it would prevent us from recording incoming telephone calls. Am I wrong? Phone calls certainly aren’t public.

"Phone calls in what context, exactly? Because if you're insinuating that warrantless wiretapping should somehow be legal broadly, this resolution was crafted specifically with that practice in mind and expanded out further from there."
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:40 am

Laka Strolistandiler wrote:Obraztsova: Opposed on basis that it would hamper Lakan Internal Intelligence Ministry operations especially in wartime. Furthermore search engine limitation seem a bit too absurd...
*whispering* God, please, don’t let this pass, I don’t want to be disposed off...

"How does this limit search engine usage?"
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives