NATION

PASSWORD

Regional Instability (CLOSED; Atlantian Oceania/Anaia ONLY)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Sarzonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 22, 2004
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Regional Instability (CLOSED; Atlantian Oceania/Anaia ONLY)

Postby Sarzonia » Mon May 17, 2021 9:21 am

[OOC: This is related to the roleplaying surrounding the potential split of several nations from Atlantian Oceania. Nations directly involved are welcome to RP here.

OOC thread here.

If you're NOT part of Atlantian Oceania or one of the countries looking to split, do not post here.]

The daily briefing being provided to President Grant Haffner in his private office at the Gray House was a little bit thicker than usual. Haffner looked and saw the first item provided in the daily briefing. Several longstanding regionmates in Atlantian Oceania were looking to separate from the main region and form a splinter region.

Starblaydia. Audioslavia. Krytenia. Nations with whom Sarzonian sporting teams were extremely familiar, and in fact, formed the backbone of many of Sarzonia's international sporting dalliances were looking to establish a new region. Pacitalia's archonate and prime minister issued a joint response chiding the three nations mentioned and called for them to attend a conference in Palmafiore to explain the decision.

Following his reading and a consultation with Lieutenant President Brian Patrick, Haffner decided to call the Cabinet for a special meeting. It would be special for a number of reasons. One, unlike most of the meetings in the Haffner-Patrick administration, Haffner would take a central role in this one. Number two, the status of Sarzonia's place in either Atlantian Oceania or in the new region Anaia was on the docket. Haffner knew that Sarzonia's place in Atlantian Oceania was traditionally seen as a given. After all, Sarzonia had been in Atlantian Oceania since shortly after its founding. In Sarzonian measuring of time, that was 17 years. In other accountings of time, it was a lot longer than that.

"Why is this happening?" James Conway, the vice president for education, of no relation to Senior Vice President and External Affairs Officer Bryan Conway asked.

"It's all detailed in the report I've had distributed to you," Haffner said.

"I mean, I understand the reasons these governments are giving for the decision," James Conway said. "But that doesn't answer the question that's at the root of all this. Why is this happening? What's the endgame and what does it mean for us?"

"That's what we're looking into," Haffner said. "When we have a more clear understanding of what's behind all of this, we'll make our decision accordingly. The House will have ample opportunity to make its decision one way or the other, but our plans for now are to stay in Atlantian Oceania."

As for Sarzonia's plan to either stay in Atlantian Oceania or defect to Anaia, that was something that warranted further discussion and debate. It would likely involve SVPEAO Conway traveling to Palmafiore, either during the discussions with the three leaders of Starblaydia, Audioslavia, and Krytenia, or separately with Pacitalian leadership. Then there was the matter of the queer belt nations, of which Delaclava was also a member. Catherina's decision to either stay in Atlantian Oceania or secede and join Anaia would also play a key role in what Sarzonia's decision would be.

It was not a very pleasant place to be for Sarzonia. Or Haffner. Or Bryan Conway.
Last edited by Sarzonia on Mon May 24, 2021 2:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
First WCC Grand Slam Champion
NSWC Hall of Fame Inductee (post-World Cup 25)
Former WLC President. He/him/his.

Our trophy case and other honours; Our hosting history

Hapilopper
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 30, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Hapilopper » Mon May 17, 2021 5:19 pm

Luke Hathaway’s Parliamentary Apartment, Hapilopper City
The day of the Foxchester Declaration
“HERE IS A BULLETIN FROM HTN NEWS… reports from northeast Atlantian Oceania are that a number of nations, led by Audioslavia, Starblaydia and Krytenia have defected from the region to form their own. There is no word as to the motive, but multiple reports from stations across those nations indicate the nations forming their own region known as ‘Anaia.’ More information will arrive as we get it.”

Luke Hathaway, a member of Parliament representing Garvinson, was about to go to bed. It was one in the morning. The youngest member of Parliament at 23 years old, Luke was still one to drink a lot, watch bad B-movies and play video games when he wasn’t doing anything important. He looked over towards the television and swore he had just heard that a number of nations were defecting from Atlantian Oceania.

That couldn’t be right, Luke thought. That’s the stupidest idea I’ve ever heard.

But the bulletin repeated itself again. Luke went on his computer and logged on to twii.tur to see Hapiloppians exploding with rage. In Hapilopper, “#RegionalTemperTantrum” and “DEATH TO ANAIA” were the top trending topics. And then he realized that certain people in power might not know about this little stunt that was being pulled by those in the northeast. He fumbled on his cell phone, looking for William Mathis’s direct line.

One dialtone. Two dialtones. Three dialtones. Four dialtones.

“This is William Mathis, if you need immediate…”

“FUCK!”

Luke tried again.

One dialtone. Two dialtones. Then, a very groggy voice could be heard over the other end.

“God damn it, Hathaway, this better be good.”

“DUDE!” Luke shouted frantically. “A bunch of nations just split from AO!”

“What?”

The President’s House, Hapilopper City
The same time
William Mathis sat up in bed. He wasn’t sure if Luke Hathaway was pranking him or not. At least, at this point, he hoped Hathaway was pranking him. This sounded like a serious situation, to say the least.

“TURN ON THE TV, MR. PRESIDENT!” Hathaway shouted, loud enough for Mathis’s wife to awaken. At that point, several Hapiloppian government authorities burst into the room.

“Mr. Mathis, sorry to wake you, but we need you to see this,” one said, as he turned on the television. Sure enough, Hathaway was not pranking the President. The bulletin on the Hapilopper Television Network was talking about the Declaration of Foxchester, which would serve to break Atlantian Oceania in half.

“MATHIS? ARE YOU SEEING THIS?!” Hathaway shouted into the phone.

“Get dressed, Hathaway, and get your ass over here,” Mathis said. “Matter of fact, I want you to wake up as many MPs as you can and tell them to get over here. I don’t care what party they’re with. Just fucking wake them up and get them over here. We’ve got to meet and now.”

Mathis hung up the phone, walked over to get dressed and moved his way into a conference room where elected officials of both the Liberal and Conservative parties were standing around, looking uneasy. Many were still in their pajamas or in real casual wear, having obviously thrown some bit of clothing on. Quite a few of these elected officials were on bad terms with each other in the past, but now, they were looking at each other with the same fear.

A bleary-eyed Leonard Wolfe, head of the Conservative Party, showed up, dressed in a Team Blue t-shirt and blue jeans. The last time he walked up to William Mathis, it got him punched in the face in the midst of a disagreement over Hapilopper’s relations with Wreckeria. But there was no anger towards each other this time. Sure, there was anger, but it was directed at the same party.

“Mathis, what the FUCK?!” Wolfe said. “Did you guys…did you… DAMN IT! Did you know about this?”

“No,” Mathis replied. “I’m as blindsided as you are. Hathaway from, fuckin’, Garvinson, he woke me up screaming into the phone. I thought he was pranking me at first. Right about now, I wish he was.”

About ten minutes later, when Mathis felt there were enough representatives from the Hapiloppian government to meet, he convened an emergency meeting of parliament. He could see anger among members of parliament – and in fact, one could hear an errant “WHY THE FUCK WOULD THEY DO THIS?!” interrupting matters.

“I think we all can agree that this is, blindsiding, to say the least,” Mathis said to the angry throng. “I’m going to be on the line with the remaining AO members as soon as I can, and…”

“THEY’RE ALL AO, GOD DAMN IT!” shouted Otis Pratt, a Conservative MP from Border City. Everyone in the room, regardless of their affiliation, roared with approval.

“You’re right,” Mathis continued. “I hope they realize that, too. But I need to contact our fellow AO members – Banija, Equestria, Vilita, Turori, Wreckeria, Baker Park, Valanora, Siovanija, Teusland, and I need to figure out if they knew anything. I imagine we’re going to have an emergency summit somewhere concerning this… I don’t know what the fuck you want to call it, an idiot project, I guess? Because this is the most idiotic thing I’ve seen since I joined politics. I’d at least hope they knew something.”

Mathis sat there for quite a while, pondering what to say. Members of Parliament and other government officials sat there as well, wondering if the time was right to say something.

“I really hope there’s an adult in the room somewhere,” Mathis said calmly. “I don’t care where. I don’t care if they’re in Audioslavia, or Vilita, or Starblaydia, or Equestria or somewhere. But I really hope there’s an adult in the room that looks at what’s going on here and they say ‘pump the brakes.’ They say ‘Let’s think about what we’re doing and the damage it’s going to cause everyone.’ Because right now, I don’t see a lot of mature leadership going on. I’m not really privy to Audioslavian politics or Starblaydi politics or international relations between some AO nations and others, and I guess that makes me not as fit as I should be for this job. But I look at this declaration and I see something that’s going to hurt people. It’s going to ruin relationships between nations that generations of people have worked on for hundreds of years. It’s gonna tear friendships apart, it’s gonna… it’s gonna…”

Mathis stopped as he thought about what to say. He put his hand over his mouth as he felt emotion start to choke his voice up.

“People are gonna get hurt because of this,” Mathis slowly continued. “They’re gonna get hurt. You just can’t upend relationships between nations or people without warning and expect that everyone’s going to be OK with it. I don’t know if they planned this out beforehand, but damn it man, I wish they would have let us know beforehand. I wish they would have explained what their problem was. I wish they would have explained to us why they wanted to leave, and maybe we could have had a chance to fix whatever was wrong. Maybe we wouldn’t be able to. But god damn it, it would have been nice for us to at least have a chance. You know? It would have been nice for us to say ‘Alright Krytenia, what’s the issue?’ or ‘alright Starblaydia, what can we do to help you?’ But no.”

Mathis threw his hands up and shook his head, visibly frustrated at what was going on.

“All of a sudden, it’s like the relationships between all these nations don’t mean jack shit. I thought we had good relations with those nations. I guess we were the unwashed southwestern peons, you know, polluting their presence because we existed on the other end of the region. Best case scenario, a few of them start coming back, realizing they messed up and we have a good ol’ mea culpa.”

Mathis looked around the room, and took a deep breath as he thought about the worst case scenario.

“Worst case scenario, misunderstanding leads to conflict. Conflict leads to people dying. People dying leads to all-out war. All-out war leads to… kaboom. That’s my biggest fear right now.”

He paused again, looking around in the room. Everyone stared him in total silence.

“We need an adult in the room that’s going to tell the kids to lower the temperature. Let’s stop the brinkmanship from happening. Let’s try to make sure we’re all on the same page, and ideally, let’s all of us get back on one page. Because nothing good can come from this. The way it’s happened, I fear we are on a road to disaster, and I’m scared to death to see what that looks like. I’m going to try to contact some of our fellow AO nations, and we’re going to go to whatever they want us to go to. I want my Vice President, my Secretary of State, my Secretary of Defense and the three top ranking MPs from both parties to come with me. We’re going to get this right.”

Later that day, Mathis received a message from Chancellor Dominik Meyer of the United Republics of Siovanija & Teusland, inviting him to Stelburg, Teusland for a discussion. Mathis replied with three words: “See you there.”

OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT
FROM PRESIDENT WILLIAM MATHIS OF HAPILOPPER

We are deeply saddened and disturbed to see the news of the Foxchester Declaration that effectively splits Atlantian Oceania into two. One group remains with Atlantian Oceania, while the others form a new subregion known as Anaia. This news has come as a complete surprise to the Hapiloppian government, and members of both parties have expressed outrage at the move. Truthfully, we wish that the Foxchester nations could have explained their actions and any dissatisfaction they had felt, and we could have worked to resolve their issues.

Following an emergency meeting with members of the Hapiloppian parliament, the government of Hapilopper has made the following actions:

- The Hapiloppian government does not recognize the Foxchester Declaration as legitimate, nor do we recognize the region of Anaia as legitimate. Rather, we recognize all Anaia nations as members of the Anaia Subregion of Atlantian Oceania. This can be changed, so long as we have a proper understanding of why this move has happened.

- Visa-free travel to Hapilopper for citizens of Anaian states is currently under review on a case-by-case basis. We do not want to revoke this privilege to our neighbors from the Anaia Subregion of Atlantian Oceania, but further actions from nations from this subregion may cause a change in policy. Ideally, we'd like to operate as if no change has happened, but that is not the case.

- Furthermore, the Hapiloppian government will conduct a thorough review of our relations with every nation of the Anaia Subregion of Atlantian Oceania. We do not want to cut ties with any of the Foxchester nations, and we would like to remain on good terms with them, however, this sudden, rash move may have forced a change.

We would like to see a further explanation for the actions behind this hostile move, and we are hopeful that a reconsideration will be made. Should any Foxchester signatory have a moment of clarity and reconsider their move, we here in the Dominion of Hapilopper will embrace them with open arms. After all, we are of the opinion we are all Atlantian Oceania.

For all Hapiloppian residents, I would ask you remain calm. This is a serious situation, there’s no getting around it. But this is a problem that can be resolved so long as rational adults can talk things out and settle their differences. I have the utmost confidence in the ability of my fellow AO leaders to resolve a situation, no matter how hostile. Also, I would ask that you not take any frustrations out on any Anaian residents currently in Hapilopper. The people of any Anaian nation in Hapilopper haven’t become more sinister because their government defected from Hapilopper, they’re still the same as they were the day before. So treat them as you would treat your neighbor. I would hope that my fellow Hapiloppians can be trusted to do exactly that.

We are better as one region. Together we stand, divided we fall.
William Mathis
The 53rd President of Hapilopper

With that in mind, having drafted this document, Mathis got packed up and ready to go to Teusland. This was going to be a very stressful next several days.
Last edited by Hapilopper on Mon May 17, 2021 8:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
HAPILOPPER. Home of TEAM BLUE, Winner of NSSCRA 11/14 and Baptism of Fire 70.
RAISE HELL, PRAISE DALE!
Visit beautiful Esportiva for your next vacation.

Sarzonia
Powerbroker

Postby Sarzonia » Mon May 17, 2021 6:38 pm

The announcement by the Audioslav government of changes to the rights held by foreign nationals in Audioslavia that would take full effect in three years wasn't a complete surprise to anyone in External Affairs.

Deputy Vice President for Atlantian Oceania Relations Tam Carter looked over the announcement carefully. It still gave Sarzonians residing in Audioslavia an opportunity to tie up loose ends and return to Sarzonia should that be their intention.

This may not have come as a complete surprise, but it still caused ripples in longstanding relationships among the various countries, some of whom Sarzonia had active relationships with spanning nearly its entire history. Relations between Sarzonia and Starblaydia were famously frosty. Krytenia and Sarzonia weren't super close, but he two countries still had some dialogue.

That still necessitated a response from External Affairs. After all, the directive from the President was clear. The deliberations within External Affairs would likely chart Sarzonia's course through this choppy sea

None of that comforted Carter. They knew they had to be prepared for their report to Senior Vice President Conway. The announcement by Hapilooper President William Mathis certainly turned up the dial. Some of the assistant senior vice presidents wanted a full slate of sanctions against the Anaian nations. Some wanted travel restrictions. The more hawkish wanted to put Sarzonia on a full wartime footing.

Carter knew their boss wanted to take the prospect of war off the table. It was the last thing a man who was nominated and confirmed by the House of Delegates wanted. Senior Vice President for Defence John Newman would likely back an increase in the country's war readiness by activating military reserves including the mothball fleet.

Carter took their steps directly toward Conway's office. The strategy began to take shape. Sarzonia would refuse to recognise the Foxchester declaration as legitimate. External Affairs would issue an order for the cessation of non-essential travel to any of the Anaian countries. Medical or family emergencies would be an exception. Sport teams would be allowed to travel to Anaian countries, but their activities would suddenly be curtailed to only sport-required activity. No nightclubs or tourist attractions would be permitted.

That ended up being what was presented to President Haffner, who also prepared an executive order to activate the military reserves and began to conduct exercises. In addition, Haffner would send an emergency military appropriation request to Parliament to ask for an increase in the budget.

Meanwhile, Lieutenant President Brian Patrick was on the phone with his Delaclav counterpart to consult with Sarzonia's southern neighbours on their next move. Delaclava were invited to join the attempted breakaway region. Sarzonia were expressly and pointedly excluded. By now, Sarzonia's choice was clear. They would stay in Atlantian Oceania, regardless of what Delaclava did.

Even if it raised the prospect of tensions between the two Cyanea neighbours and longtime friends.

Haffner didn't like where this was going, but he realised the choice was not his to make. Even if Anaia suddenly extended a belated invitation to Sarzonia to join, by now the answer was becoming a resounding no.

Commonwealth of Baker Park
Minister

Founded: Jan 10, 2018

Postby Commonwealth of Baker Park » Mon May 17, 2021 9:22 pm

One of the advantages of having certain events occur when the Assembly wasn't in one of its 60 day sitting periods was the ability of the top Cabinet officials--the so-called 'State Offices" that included External Affairs, Secretariat of State, Defense, Finance, Justice, Internal Affairs, Treasury Board and Transportation--to focus on the immediate matter without having to juggle competing interests.

Prime Minister Rebecca Schoenlein was starting to regret parts of the written statement she'd released, especially in light of some of conversations with capitals where a different tone was being taken.

She'd spoken personally with Isebantu Mutungi and President Kasikende of Banija & Busoga, respectively; both expressed their relief that the Commonwealth had not joined the Anaia establishment, and she stressed that the close relationship with both nations as well other GSW allies always came first in the discussions after the initial approach was made.

She and Chancellor Meier actually crossed lines--while her aide was calling Siovanija, Meier was ringing through on another line--but once connected they quickly established that they were on the same page, and that of course the PM would be traveling for the talks in Stelburg.

Thomas Dixon spoke with Senior Vice President Conway, assuring Sarzonia of the PM's commitment to the region and hope to have a face to face meeting with the President in Stelburg. Hannah Delaney was in contact with Equestria, Valanora and Vilita, while a couple of other Ministers made courtesy calls ahead further outreach by Delaney or the PM in the short term.

Internal Affairs was quietly working on areas under their purview--increasing security around embassies and consulates of the breakaway nations here in Belle Haven, arranging for routine checks of passports for inbound travelers (especially as one of the Anian nations, Legalese, would bring their soccer team and its supporters for a match in Shirley) and "flipping the play card", a nifty euphemism for changing code words for military communications, which were often shared with allied nations during joint maneuvers.

She requested the leaders of the opposition parties to meet with her, or join via video conference if they weren't in the city, at the Palace where she would bring them and the Head up to speed.

There was surprisingly no dissention about not having the Assembly come back, which was a prerogative the Head of State could've exercised; it was only 5 days until the return and there wasn't a clear definitive threat to national security.

"I guess the lines have been drawn between the sides. Some of the hard line southwest nations are taking proactive measures, while by contrast I think my own ideas are probably a bit too conciliatory. By the time we're back, the Stelburg meeting will have taken place or be taking place. The others know the situation we're in, geographically. We're not the only ones, but I think we are the player in all of this that doesn't have issues with the Foxchester group."

Before she went to bed, one last call checked off the final item that needed attention.
"Diane? How long has it been since there's been a review of Case Book Red?"
Rugby World Cup 36 Champions/ AOCAF 62 & 66 Champions
2x Under-18 World Cup (SWC 5&9) Champions
DBC 53/74th U21 World Cup Champions
Eagles Cup 13 Runner-Up
Baptism of Fire 67 Runner-Up
AOCAF LVIII (co-hosts), LX Third Place
World Cup 85, AOCAF LXIII, Women's World Cup 15 Fourth Place
World Cup 90 Quarterfinals (Co-hosts)
World Cup 81/82/83/84(co-hosts)/86/87/88/94 Round of 16
World Cup 80/89/91/92/93 Group Stage
Basketball
AOBC 5 Champions
Football
NSCF 5x Mineral Conference Champions (18/19/20/21/23)
Lacrosse
WLC President
WLC 38 Third Place
WLC 34/41 Fourth Place
WLC 30/31(host)/32/33/35/36/37 (host)/39 Quarterfinal
WLC 29 Playoff Round

Rugby 7's AORC 1&2 Champions
AO Twenty20 Runner-up

Siovanija and Teusland
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 01, 2017
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Siovanija and Teusland » Tue May 18, 2021 6:49 am

(OOC Note: This RP was originally posted in the World Cup 88 RP thread. In addition, all opinions expressed by S&T government members are IC only)

Castle Danneberg, Stelburg, Teusland

Chancellor Dominik Meier could hear the constant tap of the Stelburg rainstorm, even as the hundreds of delegates in the Meeting Room at Castle Danneberg chatted amongst each other.

Usually, diplomatic meetings in Stelburg were held at the old Imperial Palace downtown. But on this occasion, with so many visitors to the city, a location at which it was easier to provide security was sought. Castle Danneberg had once been home to the Kaiser and family, surrounded by fortifications that on this day were being manned by United Republics Defence Force troops - with so many leaders gathered in one place, nothing could go unplanned.

It had certainly been a different experience visiting the Castle on this day. Meier had been here for national events in the past; cabinet retreats, gala events and more. Today, however, was different. The flagpole in front of the tower had seen the flag of Atlantian Oceania raised this morning, the tourist flag-raising ceremony replaced with a more meaningful gesture to welcome the dignitaries. It was the third flag to ever fly over the castle - only the flags of the Teus Empire and the United Republics of Siovanija & Teusland had flown before.

Meier, along with President Hoskova, who was part of the Siovanija & Teusland delegation at the meeting as well, had spent much of the previous day welcoming and greeting leaders as they arrived - many on our shores for the first time. There had been dinner parties and events across the city, as Siovanija & Teusland diplomats agonized over which leaders/ministers should attend which events, and even who should be seated with who.

Meier now looked around the room. The Kabaka of Banija, and the President of Busoga, in one room - a remarkable achievement of its own. The Empress of the Eternal Empire, making her first ever visit to Siovanija & Teusland. The leaders of Vilita and Turori, Equestria, Baker Park, Hapilopper, Pluvia and the Saxean Isles, Sarzonia were here, amongst many others - and chatting in from video screens included the foreign minister of Pacitalia. Another important delegation included the Euran Foreign Secretary and the Governor General of the Euran Oceania Territories.

It was a remarkable occasion - the kind of gathering seen for royal weddings, or large funerals. The largest diplomatic gathering of nations in Siovanija & Teusland’s history. They had all chosen Stelburg to gather - symbolically, it made a point as one of the furthest possible locations from Anaia. He looked to the delegation he had brought to the event - President Hoskova, Vice Chancellor Willi Strauss, Foreign Minister Vojtech Horacek, and in a political frist, the Leader of the Opposition, Alexander Danek. Meier had felt it important to include the Leader of Opposition as a show of national unity, and to ensure parliamentary approval of any agreements made at the conference.

The President spoke up. “Chancellor Meier, it’s an important moment for our country to have all of these leaders here. I just wish it was in happier times.”

“Hopefully the ties and friendships we strengthen here today can lead to those meetings taking place,” replied the Chancellor.

The Vice Chancellor gave a nod. “This is one of the biggest moments in our history. Growing up, I’d have never dreamed of anything like this. Times have certainly changed.”

Even the Leader of the Opposition offered Meier some advice. “Dominik, if you speak as well here as you do against me in Parliament, it’ll all be ok,” he said with a grin. Despite their political differences, the two men had a strong working relationship - one reason why Meier felt it important to include Marek, as a show of unity.

Meier smiled back, and said “Good thing you’re not doing the talking, then.” The Opposition Leader laughed as he sat in his chair, and the clock ticked to the designated start time. Eyes fell on the host delegation.

No time to sit around, Meier thought - let’s get things underway. The outline for the conference had been passed to each delegation. Meier rose, and the room quieted as the host began to speak.

“My friends, first of all, welcome to Stelburg. I certainly wish that we were meeting in happier times. Just a few short months ago, the eyes of the region were on Stelburg as our talented athletes convened here for the AOCAF Cup Final. Now, the eyes of the region are on Stelburg again - on each and every one of us in this room.

The past days have been some of the most challenging in the history of our region. These challenges have brought us together, because only united can we face them. The decisions we make here over the next few days will mark an important path forward for our region. I am glad we have all converged here, together, to chart this course.

We have a great number of issues to get through together. They include issues of our own relationship with the ‘Foxchester 17’, trade, how to deal with the great number of issues including bordering nations, potential refugee populations, new intergovernmental relationships within Atlantian Oceania, the new issues of defending each other and the borders of Atlantian Oceania in all theatres, and our official response.

Siovanija & Teusland have made our positions clear. We are looking to help create a new ‘Atlantian Oceania Assembly of Nations’ which would serve as an intergovernmental body to help regulate disputes between member states, and encourage communication - communication that we and many in this room feel could have prevented the events of recent days. We are proposing review and reform of our regional defence co-operation, with new treaties ensuring collective security and the security of our borders and international waters. As a nation with one of the largest defence budgets in all of the region, we are committed to a leading role in this endeavour.

These are among many issues that must be discussed over the next few days. We are eager to hear from each of you your opinions - how shall we take the next steps together? The floor is open to reaction, debate and discussion.”

With that, Chancellor Meier sat down. The Stelburg Conference was officially in full swing.
Last edited by Siovanija and Teusland on Tue May 18, 2021 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
The United Republics of Siovanija & Teusland
Capital: Borograd | Population: 74,245,000 | Demonyms: Siovanijan, Teus | Country Code: STL

World Cup of Hockey 40, 41 & 42 Champions ⋆ World Junior Hockey Championship 14 Champions

Sarzonia
Powerbroker

Postby Sarzonia » Tue May 18, 2021 11:37 am

Haffner spent the better part of the trip on Sarzonia One poring over his notes and doing a lot of thinking.

About Atlantian Oceania. About Sarzonia. About his role in trying to piece together his country's place in the region.

The region was threatening to come apart at the seams, and he knew Sarzonia could either bind together the countries who wanted to remain in Atlantian Oceania or force the chasm even wider. The proposals from External Affairs to initiate sanctions against the countries that chose to split apart from Atlantian Oceania and form a rogue sub-region seemed a bit harsh, at least for the nations whom had a warmer relationship with Sarzonia. He'd had that conversation with Senior Vice President Conway about the proposal, reminding him that the blanket sanctions were both too harsh on the likes of Krytenia and too mild for the Starblaydias of the traitorous nations.

Treason. That's what no one in the Situation Room dared say publicly. It was a word that very likely would inflame tensions between Sarzonia and the rogue countries, rather than tamp down the hostilities. But it was a feeling Haffner could not ignore.

As for Senior Vice President Newman's proposal to activate the Ready Reserves, including the mothball fleet and the Home Guard, and to initiate military exercises was sound. His request for an immediate $100 billion transfusion in defence spending for a country whose military budget usually approached $200 billion, with some of the funding used to maintain the reserves and the mothball fleet, was not going well with Parliament. Truth be told, $25 billion was all that was needed to fund the escalation called for in activating the Ready Reserves and commissioning the mothball fleet. Newman's proposal was to implement a tiered approach to escalations, one that future Presidents, and, if the proposed new article in the Constitution were implemented, potentially lieutenant presidents, could use in the hopefully unlikely event of future wartime escalations.

A tier 3 escalation was one that was most likely to get through Parliament without difficulty. That would activate the Ready Reserves and the mothball fleet, bringing into commission some 70 warships that were actively being maintained with skeleton crews and could be upcrewed and commissioned for active service with minimal notice. The Army and Air Force could expand its numbers with officers and enlisted personnel who were theoretically ready to jump in at a moment's notice. That would also allow the activation of the Home Guard, and the federalisation of the Home Guard should it be required.

A tier 2 escalation would be more difficult to pass the Senate, and might require Lieutenant President Patrick to cast a tiebreaking vote. It would not only activate the Ready Reserves and the mothball fleet, but it would also cause the automatic activation and federalisation of the Home Guard and the Naval Reserves, which would require more maintenance to repair and refit some ships that hadn't been kept in wartime shape. This would likely include drawing funds from the federal reserve (OOC: Some U.S. states have a so-called "rainy day fund"; this is Sarzonia's term for it) without an infusion in cash from Parliament. This would put Sarzonia on a near-wartime footing without an actual declaration of war or even a declaration of hostility.

As for tier 1, unless tensions escalated to the point where a full-scale war was likely, it was not going to pass Parliament. This would require Parliament to allocate $100 billion in emergency defence spending, including the rapid construction of new ships and warplanes, and a call for volunteers to serve in the Army and Air Force. In the event of the opposing military faction having space borne assets, it would also activate the long-forgotten Space Force. This was an option in the event one of the Anais nations provoked Sarzonia, but Haffner was going to be careful to not provoke another country. A war, most likely with Starblaydia, was not something Haffner particularly looked forward to.

A tier 3 escalation was going to be the course Haffner and company decided upon. He would make the announcement shortly after Sarzonia One touched down and he made his way to the hotel where he was staying. First lady Gloria Haffner was not with him, as the matter was not a state visit that would allow for family to attend. Besides, she was busy with their newborn grandchild. Lieutenant President Patrick was busy with the Cabinet going over various scenarios. As Haffner saw the skyline of Stelburg loom in the distance, he thought briefly about checking his phone for the scores of the two World Cup qualifying matches the Stars were playing. He smiled when the Stars won one match, but grimaced when he realised the Stars again lost points in a match they could have and should have won.

It was going to be a long, rough qualifying campaign for the Stars. Much as it was going to be a stressful time in Atlantian Oceania.

Pacitalia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 06, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Pacitalia » Tue May 18, 2021 1:44 pm

Pacitalia's three relevant cabinet ministers sat in separate offices at the Prado's executive complex preparing for the first set of meetings at the Stelburg conference to begin. The Pacitalian delegation would be led by foreign minister Demetrios Andreadis, backed up by border security minister Bruno Tordo and defence minister Josep Bosc. They would be joined later in the conference by the Prime Minister and the Archonate, themselves holed up in the government's emergency management centre working with intelligence officials to work out Timiocato's next moves.

The three Pacitalians watched as delegates milled about the conference room at Castle Danneberg. They were indeed the odd men out with all other participants of the Stelburg conference able to meet in person. With the borders closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic, even important multinational diplomatic gatherings would require Pacitalia's virtual participation. No politician in Timiocato would be caught dead breaking the rules, even for urgent exceptions such as this, and risk facing the wrath of the public, stuck at home, unable to travel.

Modern videoconferencing technology — leveraging contemporary internet speeds and bandwidth, complete with 4K video resolution and high-quality sound — meant that, save for the handshakes and pats on the shoulder, the meals and the buffet, the Pacitalian delegation were essentially just as present in the room as anyone else. Still, Andreadis thought to himself, nothing beat the adrenaline rush of the multinational conferences of days past, and he looked forward to being able to take part in them again.

The conference began and the Pacitalians listened intently to the official welcome being provided by the host Siovanija & Teusland delegation. After some time, it was Andreadis' turn to speak, and he adjusted the thick, piano-black frames of his glasses before un-muting his conference line.

"First of all, let me extend, on behalf of the Pacitalian Republic, my deepest thanks to our hosts, President Hoskova, Chancellor Meier, Vice-Chancellor Strauss, Foreign Minister Horacek, and Opposition Leader Danek, as well as the nation of Siovanija & Teusland, for agreeing to put on this meeting, especially on short notice," he began. "Prime Minister Moya and Her Excellency, the Archonate, will join our delegation tomorrow. I wish to echo my counterparts by saying that I, indeed, would have liked very much to meet like this under better circumstances and it is our hope that this conference, and the resulting decisions taken here, will permit us to enjoy that very meeting in the better times we are confident lay ahead."

"That being said, I would also like to thank the other nations assembled here today, who have come here not simply out of necessity, or in reaction to the events of this past weekend, but out of a desire to find a positive outcome and a path forward for our nations, and a sustainable future that ensures we collectively enjoy peace and stability for years to come. To be proactive instead of simply reactive. We have an opportunity to build an even more prosperous future for our people, and I see, in our faces collectively, the resolve to seize it."

"The joint statement from the Archonate and the Prime Minister was clear that Pacitalia stands ready to defend the ideals upon which the Atlantian Oceanian movement was founded, whatever the means. I wish to reiterate that sentiment to you now. The Pacitalian position is clear that the Foxchester declaration, regardless of its legitimacy, has drawn a line in the sand between free, democratic nations, and autocracies and repressive regimes who will very likely use this opportunity to tighten controls on their population, further erode rights and freedoms, and pose a threat to realms beyond just our region. We must not only look out for ourselves, to secure our own future; we must now be a beacon of hope for the hopeless. We must remember there are millions of people who woke up Sunday morning to find they were no longer part of Atlantian Oceania, through no fault or will of their own."

"I will now transfer to my colleague, Signore Bruno Tordo, the Minister of Border Protection and National Security, to provide you with a brief overview of the actions Timiocato has taken and will take in the immediate aftermath of the Foxchester declaration. After that you will hear from my colleague, Josep Bosc, our national defence minister."

"My warmest greetings to the assembled delegates and I wish to echo Signore Andreadis' comments that we wish we would have been able to participate in this meeting in person. As you may know, due to the enduring state of emergency brought on by the pandemic affecting our country, Pacitalian borders are closed to entry except for Pacitalian nationals returning home and completing a mandatory isolation and quarantine program," Tordo continued. "This has rendered most of the concerns about whether or not to admit nationals of the Foxchester signatory nations moot, but Timiocato is working on a program that would allow citizens of those nations to seek asylum in Pacitalia or potentially another AO member state, and we look forward to discussing this as a policy plank for the region as well. This is parallel to Pacitalian efforts to repatriate Pacitalian nationals who were working, living or studying abroad and who now wish to return home due to the political uncertainty and instability in these countries."

"The government will reallocate existing funding streams to boost conventional intelligence gathering operations in the signatory nations, as well as MASINT, SIGINT and COMINT functions within Pacitalia's national security agencies. We stand ready and agile to participate in and redouble regional intelligence efforts through AORDO or other frameworks. Minister Bosc?"

"Thank you, and good afternoon, delegates. The Republican Naval Forces' 16th Fleet was conducting normal patrol drills in the waters north and east of Audioslavia, and, as of this morning, has been recalled back to a point about 50 nautical miles south of the declared border line named in the Foxchester Declaration. The fleet has been assigned a task force status to monitor marine activities from the front line, but has been pulled back because of the desire to avoid a situation where our presence might be mistaken for aggression. They will officially transition into the guise of a training exercise with the 19th Fleet, which is currently stationed in international waters off the west coast of Paripana. We believe a continued Pacitalian naval presence in these waters is vital."

"I have been in close communication with my Sarzonian counterpart, Senior Vice President Newman, about how best to make use of Pacitalia and Sarzonia's existing joint naval cooperation efforts. Should any of our defence activities require a temporary increase in funding support, we are ready to pass any appropriate legislation through Parliament as we have secured the agreement of our own opposition parties to make this happen. This includes regional defence spending should other member states require assistance with procurement. Pacitalia has also begun to ready our army reserves and special forces, who will begin ramp-up activities today and over the next 48-72 hours so they are able to deploy on notice should the situation deteriorate."

"Thank you again to our host delegation, the floor is once again yours."
Pacitalian Republic
Repubblica Pacitaliana

RP population (est. May 2021): 414,440,614
Capital and largest city: Timiocato
Founding date: 21st November 1503
Archonate (head of state): Abeo Bamidele
Prime Minister (head of government): Damián Moya
Land area: 4,600,674 sq km
Official languages: Pacitalian, English nationally; Marqueríana (Spanish) and Empordán (Catalan) regionally
Location: On the continent of Foringana, southeast of Atlantian Oceania
Telephone calling code: +2
Internet TLDs: .pc, .rp

Minister

Postby Commonwealth of Baker Park » Tue May 18, 2021 10:29 pm

Prime Minister Rebecca Schoenlein opened her remarks recognizing the various Royal...dignitaries (she'd crossed off 'personages' on her draft) and other heads of state and/or government present.

"We were embraced and welcomed into this region, and we have always sought to be good regional citizens, available to come to the aid of nations in peril. Of the nations represented here, I believe we were the only ones approached to join with the Foxchester Declarants as a charter signee ahead of the announcement.

It was left to me to deliberate that offer, as our Parliament has been in recess; I am glad to have had the counsel of Foreign Minister Hannah Delaney (she motioned towards her friend), and other members of the cabinet, as well as Head of State Timothy Wentworth. In all of our discussions the elephant in the room, as it were, was the relationships we have with many of you; some are commercial, some are political, some are not as formalized, but we believe it's important to be steadfast and constant in our friendships. Hence, we declined the invitation. Our Commonwealth is built upon the idea that our word is our bond.

In reading the details of the Declaration, one aspect has raised concerns relative to our own territorial integrity--the claim of interim sovereignty over the areas of Calania that are part of our bordering neighbors--Khytonya to the west, and The Maccian to the east, and to a less direct extent, The Jovannic.

We propose that a line be established east-southeastward from the northern most point of Calanian Khytonya to the point where the southwestern corner of The Jovannic and the northern border of The Maccian meet; also that said establishment point be extended due westward to a point where it crosses the most southeastly point on AO Isle. As such, the Commonwealth would accept responsibility for the defense of all areas south of said line as it exists on Calania, and could extend to include the entirety of western border of The Jovannic as well.

We also pledge to support any nation where disputes over international/territorial waters arise with naval presence.

While it has appeared on the surface that the Commonwealth took a half-way, conciliatory tone to the Foxchester group from the beginning, we are committed to whatever decisions are the will of the majority here. I thank you all for your attention"
Eagles Cup 13 Runner-Up
Basketball
AOBC 5 Champions
Football
Lacrosse
WLC President
WLC 38 Third Place
WLC 34/41 Fourth Place
WLC 29 Playoff Round

AO Twenty20 Runner-up

Sarzonia
Powerbroker

Postby Sarzonia » Wed May 19, 2021 5:43 am

Haffner knew that his words carried some weight; in particular, with the all-too frequent bombast from the founding President of Sarzonia in mind, he knew he was treading dangerous ground.

The very fact that Sarzonia was here, and moreover, that Haffner himself was here instead of Senior Vice President Conway or one of Conway's subordinates lent gravity to the proceedings.

Haffner was aware that a military buildup, even to an increased level of readiness outlined in a tier 3 escalation could be seen as a Sarzo-esque provocation. He knew Mike Sarzo very easily could have threatened war against all the Foxchester signatory nations and would have pushed for a military powerful enough to prosecute such a hellacious conflict.

That's what he set out to distance himself from. Make no mistake. If Sarzonia were directly threatened or if one of Sarzonia's closest allies were threatened, he would be ready to respond in kind. However, that sort of provocation wasn't present here. He considered the offer of asylum extended by Minister Tordo and would certainly extend the same offer to anyone seeking to call Sarzonia home. But diplomacy was going to be key here. Not battleship diplomacy. But pure economic and geopolitical diplomacy.

"My esteemed colleagues," Haffner began. "It is my honour to be here representing the Incorporated States of Sarzonia and to be part of this conference. Clearly, I share the wish that the circumstances for our presence in this hallowed hall would have come under happier circumstances.

"I would like to second Minister Tordo's offer of asylum and would be happy to assure anyone who seeks it that they would have a home in Sarzonia should they choose to remain Atlantian Oceania citizens. I also reiterate that Sarzonia rejects outright the Foxchester Declaration as illegal and as treason against the ideals expressed for the compatriots of our region."

Treason, Haffner thought. He'd spent so much time wrangling over that one word, thinking it was an unnecessary provocation, but here he was blurting it out. That was a direct provocation, perhaps not under the barrel of a 25-inch naval gun or tungsten rod-armed satellites with targets acquired in Jhanna or Emberton, but it definitely upped the ante. Treason. There was no going back now.

"As such, we believe a set of sanctions against the governments and the consular staffs of the various rogue nations is an appropriate course of action, and we have initiated the process of declaring a round of sanctions against the governments involved. Our External Affairs Department has issued a declaration requiring all Sarzonians abroad in one of the rogue nations who are not there in an emergency capacity such as medical reasons return to Sarzonia within 72 hours of the time Sarzonia One left Woodstock. We have also issued a declaration announcing that all non-essential travel to Sarzonia from any of the rogue nations will be prohibited save for medical or family emergencies or any sporting competition involving Sarzonia. Any citizens of any of the Foxchester declarants who seek to travel to Sarzonia may still do so; however, they must submit a request for approval to External Affairs no later than two weeks prior to travel.

"In addition, Sarzonia is evaluating its trade relationships with the rogue nations to determine next steps and whether or not it's necessary for us to employ trade sanctions.

"None of us wants to be in this position, clearly. However, we will do what is necessary to secure our future."

Even if that meant the cold war between Woodstock and Jhanna got hot all of a sudden.

Valanora
Senator

Founded: Sep 03, 2007
Democratic Socialists

Postby Valanora » Wed May 19, 2021 6:41 pm

OOC: This was originally posted in the WC88 RP thread.

Lathwen Raynor had desired to preside over a period of peace and prosperity for the Eternal Empire, much like her cousin before her and the interim Emperor that had held the throne between the Raynor monarchs. While she had been shrewd and used cunning and no small amount of political squeezing to ensure that her claim to the throne would be recognized, the years since had been relatively quiet and the domestic turmoil had been smoothed over with the displays of Lathwen maintaining the status quo that most in the Empire had come to enjoy now for many decades. Indeed, the biggest talking point of Lathwen's reign was not a matter of policy but that of her social life and the procurement of a suitable match and eventual children to ensure that the line of succession would be secured. Her status as an elf, one of the few of her kind that remained in the lands that once was founded and colonized by them, meant that such a matter was not entirely pressing regardless of what gossip magazines would write about and the urgent need for her to have children.

Instead she was now residing over an Empire that was in the middle of political turmoil as those that they had once thought friends and comrades had decided to turn their backs on those relationships and did so in such a divisive manner that it had required a hard response. While she did not have the same in depth feelings that some of her staff and consultants did, the Foxchester declaration had left her seething and the decision to remove all citizens of the new Anaia nations and the withdrawal of Vanorian citizens and political staff from those nations as well. It was a hard line stance and drastic measure to be sure but the sense of betrayal by nations and leaders that were supposed to be friends and allies of the Empire ran so deep that the action was deemed necessary. The question of whether her cousin would have performed the same action had kept her awake the past few nights as she prepared for the trip to Stelburg and the conference that would soon be taking place to try and determine the fate and future for those who had remained behind, or in the case of Baker Park had stayed loyal to, in Atlantian Oceania.

In another life this trip would have been one that would have allowed her to sight see and get to know one of the Empire's neighbors far more closely, to develop a deeper understanding and bonds with that of her neighbors. The United Republics had an interesting and deep history from what she was aware of and it would have been quite the trip to get a better understanding of how the events of their past came to shape the status of their nation today. She was sure that there were wonders to behold in the nation and that the people would have been intriguing to meet and interact with, to sample the culture of something that was so different and yet so near to the Empire. Yet the meeting's conditions were that of necessity rather than that of pleasure or social diplomacy, they leaders gathering in Stelburg were going to have to answer some tough questions and figure out what way there was for the entirety of the region to move forward when nearly two thirds of its standing members decided that they no longer desired to be of the region and even laid claim to lands that were not rightfully theirs.

When it was her turn to speak, whatever nerves there were that had been plaguing her in the past few days were well hidden behind a gaze that exuded confidence and certainty. There would be no cracks in the image of strength that she was going to present, the people of the Eternal Empire needed a leader who would not waiver nor blink the face of the growing adversity that was circling overhead.

"The future of our great region is in peril, it has been cast into a maelstrom by those who were supposed to be its defenders and pillars, leaving the region on the precipice of disaster from the storm. They speak of peace and yet lay claim to land that is not theirs, that has never been theirs, and yet it is supposed to somehow be inside their claim? They speak of friendship and yet they prepare for conflict after having depleted many of the standing forces that would be there to defend the region from threats, both foreign and domestic. There can be no normalizing relations when they attempt to shake your hand with one hand held open and yet the other preparing to stab you in the back. It is to this end that the Empire will hot harbor any citizens from this breakaway region, as for all we know they are agents of the respective governments."
World Cup 40, 42, 43, 52, & 61 Champions
WC 47, 51, 94 (2nd), WC 34, 38, 39, 41, 44, 45, 53, 60, 67, 92 (3rd), WC 49, 58, 87, 90 (Semifinalist), WC 33, 35-37, 46, 48, 54, 55, 62, 63, 65, 72, 83, 85, 86, 88, 91 (Quarterfinalist)
WCoH VII, VIII, XVII, XXVIII, XXX, XXXII (1st), WCoH I, XXXI, XL (2nd), WCoH II, XXIX (3rd), WCoH XII (4th)
AOCAF 44, 46, 51, 53, 65, 68 Champions, AOCAF 39, 43, 55, 59, 64 Runners Up
Co-Hosted: too many events to count

EPL Season 20,073

I am that which I am and choose to be.

VOIA
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 11, 2004
Ex-Nation

A New Calania #1 - Nikkii and the Leazi-Corada

Postby VOIA » Thu May 20, 2021 9:12 am

One of the most popular figures in Vilita, Nikkii Kater's connection with the Vilitan National Team as well as the Vilitan public has grown extensively deep. Her "Garbage Time" podcast was cited as one of the three most influential factors in Vilita's World Cup 77 victory and Kater became the first to turn in their media pass to the Vilitan Locker Room for a Staff Badge as part of the Coaching thinktank that helped guide Vilita to the World Cup 81 and World Cup 82 titles. Having taken a step back from her daily duties with the squad at the time, Kater brought back her podcast during World Cup 84 under a new brand - Recycle Time, and instantly enamored herself with the Vilitan public as the Jungle Cats made another run to the World Cup Finals - this time losing out just narrowly in the end to regional rival Farfadillis.

Still, the Kater name was a household name as Vilitan as Cherry Meringue Pie or a street skirmish between a Jungle Cat and a Teal Flaked Lemur. However, when Nikkii Kater was recording her first episode of Recycle Time for the World Cup 88 Cycle she received a communication that she never expected to receive that interrupted her show. While Nikkii had always been independent she had a small group with her to help make sure everything went well with the lighting and coordination bits. They all started murmuring and something was happening. Behind the camera and microphone Nikkii did not have her own personal communication device and asked the crew what was happening.

No one was quite sure how to describe it or what to say but concern quickly grew upon their faces - unsure whether to laugh, cry or duck for cover. After generations being at the center of a region well protected by AORDO, Vilita was now a borderland. There was little time for this new information to settle in, however, when Nikkii's communicator began to ring. Across the room, someone picked it up. Their face grew with shock and they quickly walked the device to Nikkii.

"Who is it?" Nikkii asked

"The Leazi-Corada".

The crew member handed the device to Nikkii. The Leazi-Corada was the head of the Vilitan Union. It was a title that went without attachment to a name. Politics in a traditional sense were not allowed in Vilita ever since the anti-particulates became the dominant mentality. In order to become the Leazi-Corada one had to prove full dedication and loyalty to the Vilitan Union and that meant to ascend into the role of Leazi-Corada, you would become the Leazi-Corada and have left your given name behind a long time prior.

The focus of the Leazi-Corada was also strictly insular to Vilita, which would partially explain the request that was about to follow. The Leazi-Corada was communicating to request that Nikkii-Kater travel to Stelburg in Siovanija & Teusland to represent the Vilitan Union at a Conference to discuss a document known as the "Foxchester Declaration" issued by the nations of Audioslavia and Starblaydia and undersigned by a handful of other now-former Atlantian Oceania nations. Kater would be accompanied by two officers from the Vilitan Orbital Intelligence Agency - largely responsible for all External Affairs involving the Vilitan Union, as well as a representative from Tropicorp who themselves would be representing both Dr. Hamonii and the interests of Cocoabo Park and the Cocoabo Preservation Society, as well as Tropicorp itself.

Nikkii was in a state of compounding Shock and uncertain how this had happened. However the Leazi-Corada made a request she was not about to waiver on, so she dropped everything and started to prepare for a trip.

The cameras were still rolling in Nikkii Kater's studio as she quickly switched gears and packed her things for a trip to Siovanija & Teusland for a meeting amongst Leaders of Atlantian Oceania. For what purpose? It was unclear. The Leazi-Corada informed Nikkii that she would be briefed once she got to the transport. There should would be met by a pair of officers from the Vilitan Orbital Intelligence Agency who were following the situation in the North East and would be prepared to provide Kater with talking points to the other Regional Leaders.

Regional Leaders?

It hadn't really had time to sink in for Nikkii. One of her team had decided to keep the Camera rolling as she arrived at the transport and waited to be met by the VOIA representatives. As she waited another person arrived from Tropicorp who indicated that they would also be catching a ride on the transport to Stelburg representing Tropicorp and the Cocoabo Forest. They were headed to a meeting with the leaders of Atlantian Oceania. To discuss something going on in the North East. Nikkii had been checking twii.tur for more information but at this point she was probably less certain what she was walking into than she was when the news first broke a short while ago. Was there some political event going on? Was there a geographical event going on? Were the nations of the North East even there? Had twii.tur been hacked?

She assumed she would not have been called upon by the Leazi-Corada had twii.tur been hacked. Then again, she would never have expected to be called upon to represent Vilita and Turori at a forum of Regional Leaders in any situation, ever. It didn't really matter what it was, she was still confused.

Kater and the Tropicorp representative scrolled through twii.tur themselves then Nikkii realized... Tropicorp was on Calania - was this person there? She tried striking up a conversation but he was too interested in what was going on on his communicator device to keep up the conversation. Nikkii realized unlike her, he wasn't on twii.tur. "So um whatcha doin over there" She asked. Finally, after some doing, she elicited at least a welcoming response. He was actually already in Vilita when he was called to meet the transport - which kind of made sense. The ferry ride from Tropicorp isn't super quick. He mentioned some kind of Anomaly in North Eastern Tropicorp and outward towards the Great Calanian Desert. He really didn't know much more himself but that Tropicorp had already sent teams to investigate. He assumed VOIA had sent a fleet of Drones to investigate as well and that was likely the reason why the officers from the Vilitan Orbital Intelligence Agency were late.

Then he put his communicator down and looked toward Nikkii with a serious face. "You know, when we get there, everyone is going to be looking at you - what you have to say, how you carry yourself. This is going to be important."

Nikkii suddenly felt cold. She is used to being in the limelight. She is used to making jokes and indulging in hot takes and critical analysis. She can deliver the news in a fun and intriguing way and she could be straight faced while talking about complete nonsense. She could do these things. But she had always done them at the comfort of home. Either literally at home or in her studio - which was a home away from home. Stelburg was not home. World Politics and Regional leadership was not home for Nikkii. Or at least, it was not yet. The duo did not say another word as they awaited the arrival of the VOIA officers with the critical data they would need to be briefed on their way to Siovanija and Teusland.

Sarzonia
Powerbroker

Postby Sarzonia » Thu May 20, 2021 10:32 am

The first half of World Cup 88 qualifying figured to be a struggle for the Sarzonian national football team. After all, the Incorporated Football Federation's decision to withdraw from World Cup 87 qualifying hurt the team's preparation and dropped its world ranking precipitously.

That still wasn't reason for the IFF's newly inaugurated executive director Phillippe Absalon to frantically call Sarzonia's Vice President for Health and Athletics Carter Marshall at 3:30 in the morning a full 36 hours from the start of the second half of World Cup qualifying. A groggy and irritated Marshall answered his mobile after looking apologetically toward his wife.

"Marshall," he said in a half-whisper.

"Mr. Vice President," Absalon said with panic in his voice. "We've got a problem on our hands!"

"Yeah, a 2-3-4 record, but that's no fucking reason to call me at 3:30 in the morning," Marshall snapped as quietly as his growing anger would allow him. "Why the fuck are you calling?"

"Sir, External Affairs is not allowing any Nepharan supporters to travel to Woodstock for the return leg at Dave Wilson Stadium," Absalon said.

Marshall's eyes finally opened. He'd remembered the Cabinet meeting with President Haffner, Senior Vice President Conway and the other members in the Situation Room at the Gray House. He'd fought hard for an exception to allow the national teams of various Anaian nations to travel to Sarzonia and had secured that as an exception along with medical and other emergency purposes, but securing an exception for Nepharan supporters to make the trip for the match at the Sarzonian national stadium was a different matter. The two-week window that was approved was not going to be enough time for any Nepharan supporters of the top ranked, defending champions and fellow Grand Slam winners to travel to Woodstock and attend the match, to say nothing of exploring the nightlife and tourist attractions in Woodstock.

"I can't say this isn't news," Marshall said as he got up from his bed and made his way to the home office down the hall. He turned on the light and fired up his computer to send an email requesting an exception to be made for Nephara's supporters. The wording of the declaration would allow the players, the coaches, and the support personnel to make the trip and arrangements could be made at a hotel with Nepharan and other Anaian ex-pats as the staff. There wasn't a need to activate the military, at least not yet. So far, the geopolitical situation hadn't resulted in outright enmity toward Nephara any more so than football-related hostility against a team that dominated two of the three matches they played against the Stars.

"I just sent an email to Senior Vice President Conway," Marshall told Absalon. "I don't think it should be a problem. After all, these restrictions were implemented fairly hastily in my opinion. I'll let you know one way or the other." Before he could excuse Absalon and close the call so he could try to get back to sleep, he heard a telltale beep. He rolled his eyes and looked at the display on his phone. Then his eyes widened slightly. It was Conway.

"Excuse me, I just got a text from Senior Vice President Conway," Marshall said. He read it.

"Carter, under NO circumstances are we going to approve an exception to allow Nepharan fans to come to Woodstock. You can forget it." Marshall's heart sank.

"Mr SVP," he texted back, "These regulations were implemented less than two weeks before the return leg for them to face us in Woodstock. It wouldn't be fair or sporting of us to refuse to allow Nepharans to make the trip."

"Nepharans are making the trip," Conway texted back. "We're allowing the players, the coaches, and the support personnel into Woodstock, aren't we? We're putting up those traitors and seditionists in one of our hotels against our better judgment. Your request is denied with prejudice."

With prejudice. Marshall knew that meant "no, and don't fucking ask me again."

"Bryan," he texted back, making it clear that he was angry because he seldom broke protocol with someone higher in the Presidential line of succession than he was, "you're making a big mistake by doing this."

"Then perhaps you could consider a neutral site game. We'll reimburse you for any lost revenue you would have gotten from ticket sales or concessions."

"That isn't the fucking point, Bryan," Marshall texted back. "The point is, we're penalising Nepharan citizens, some of whom had nothing to do with a decision imposed by their government, by prohibiting them from traveling to Sarzonia to watch their team play us in a World Cup qualifying match. That's a bad look."

"That's my decision. Live with it. Good night," Conway texted back.

The next morning in the situation room, President Haffner offered a compromise. Play the match at Mike Sarzo Stadium in Nicksia and offer the team personnel and any Nepharan supporters willing to make the trip to stay in a hotel in Corcorran across the border with Delaclava. That is, if the Delaclav government were willing to house them. This time, it was Marshall's turn to become adamant.

"Absolutely not," he said. "Thus far, Catherina has shown no interest in getting involved with this whole Atlantian Oceania-Anaia mess. This would drag them directly into the maelstrom."

Plus, it would also up the ante in the whole mess. But that was also the case with Sarzonia allowing the visas of 15 Starblaydi consular personnel to expire without renewal. Granted, five of those 15 hadn't submitted paperwork to renew their visas, but 10 of them had. However, The Eastgate Gazette, a paper with a war hawk's reputation for exaggerating things, reported it as Sarzonia expelling Starblaydi diplomats. Even if only one low-level Starblaydi was actually expelled, it was moreso to do with drunken indecent exposure at a college bar than anything specific related to the kerfuffle between the two regions.

Either way, things were about to get worse, not better as the battle between legitimate Atlantian Oceania and the traitorous Anaian rogue countries continued.

Hapilopper
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 30, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Hapilopper » Thu May 20, 2021 6:46 pm

The Atlantian Oceania Emergency Summit
William Mathis looked nervous as he sat down in his assigned seat, next to Arnold Martin, the President of Wreckeria. The fact that the Hapiloppian and Wreckerian leaders were seated next to each other was a fact lost on none of the pundits in either country, and a fact not lost on the delegations of either nation. He looked at a glass of water at his desk and started idly playing with it. It was one thing to try to talk things out with members of the Hapiloppian parliament. Everyone knew Mathis there. But he looked around and he saw people that, he thought, probably outranked him in terms of importance.

He looked over and saw the Empress of the Eternal Empire of Valanora. There was the Kabaka of Banija. The President of the Busoga Islands. President Grant Haffner of Sarzonia. Prime Minister Rebecca Schoenlein of Baker Park. Heads of state from Vilita and Turori, Pluvia and the Saxean Isles. On a video screen were members of the delegation from Pacitalia. To say the very least, Mathis was going to have to be on his best behavior. Don’t get too worked up like he did in the President’s House the other day. Try to maintain an even keel.

Hapiloppian pundits debated the letter that Mathis had put out just before Teusland. Some suggested that officially announcing that the Anaia region was not legitimate, and referring to the region as the “Anaia Subregion of Atlantian Oceania” was going to ruffle a few too many feathers. Others felt Mathis didn’t go far enough and should have lowered the boom on the Anaian nations even further, with some suggesting that the nation cease recognition of any Anaian nation, period.

But Mathis didn’t want to do that. He was hoping these nations could come to their senses and realize they had erred in officially leaving Atlantian Oceania. He wanted to keep himself open to the possibility these nations would realize their mistake, and he wanted to be able to welcome them back with open arms. So he did not want to openly announce anything that would burn Hapilopper’s bridges with other nations, regardless of how hostile the Foxchester Declaration really was. Mathis shifted around in his seat uncomfortably as other leaders spoke their piece. Arnold Martin leaned over to ask him a question.

“What are you gonna say?” Martin asked quietly.

“I’m gonna react,” Mathis replied. “I’m letting the more experienced nations take the lead on this. I’m basically just going to say that Hapilopper is here to be a good ally to those in AO, and we’re here to take in whoever needs to come our way. What are you gonna say?”

“I don’t know yet, and frankly I don’t know if my words are gonna carry any weight,” Martin replied. “My nation’s been at war for, shit, longer than I’ve even been alive.”

Eventually, it was Mathis’s turn to speak. There was a tightness in his stomach that indicated all kind of nerves bundling up. He stood up, somewhat nervously, uncharacteristically so, and started to just wing it. It was this speech that got a lot of people’s attention in Hapilopper and Wreckeria.

“First of all, I’d like to introduce my delegation, head of the Conservative Party, Leonard Wolfe; the first lady, my lovely wife Clara; and a special hello to my friend, the President of Wreckeria, Arnold Martin. We in the Hapiloppian government remain steadfast along with you, our allies in Atlantian Oceania and, arguably, our most important ally, our neighbors to the west, in defending the ideals that made this region so great.”

Martin looked up towards Mathis. He wasn’t expecting to be called out like this by Hapilopper’s president, much less to have Mathis refer to Wreckeria as Hapilopper’s “most important ally.” But there were reasons for these comments.

“Like the rest of you, we were shocked, saddened, and angered to see the hostile move pulled by those in the northeast of this region, for them to break away from us to form their own region,” Mathis started. “The reasons of which, I don’t think any of us know. But from our perspective, the only thing it looks like this split has done is it has succeeded in ruining relations between nations that those that came before us worked so hard to build. Our parents. Their parents. Their parents. They knew that we were better together, not separated. I wish this current generation of certain nations realized that.”

Mathis looked around the room. He wasn’t sure how to read the other leaders, nor was he sure how good he was doing. But at least he was starting to feel a groove.

“Hapilopper is a peaceful nation,” Mathis continued. “We’re known across the multiverse as the people that like to have fun just as well as anyone, even if that fun gets us in a little bit of trouble. The fact is, the last thing we want to do is get into an armed conflict with nations that we should consider our friends. We don’t want to shut out people because their government did something hostile, and make no mistake about it, the Foxchester Declaration is a hostile act. We don’t want to shut out lines of communication with those governments, because suffice it to say, everybody makes mistakes. You’ve just got to learn from them. And the fact is, the Foxchester Declaration and Anaia are just that – they’re mistakes. That’s all they are. They are mere mistakes.”

Mathis wasn’t sure if referring to the region split as a “mere mistake” would go over well in the room, but the words were already out, no taking them back now.

“The good thing is, those mistakes have not killed anyone yet,” Mathis said. “Those mistakes have not led to armed conflict. And we are not in the position to stoke those fires. Rather, our intent is to help these nations correct their error. We here in the Hapiloppian government, for the time being, are willing to bring in any nation that renounces the Foxchester Declaration and the Anaia insurrection and comes back to where they belong, and that’s here at the table with us.”

Mathis took a deep breath, hoping deep down that he wasn’t incinerating his own political career. After all, this was really the first time he had spoken to an international audience.

“Now then, on the subject of asylum,” Mathis said, looking down at a piece of paper. “I have heard from our friends in Sarzonia and from our friends in Pacitalia that they are willing to grant asylum for residents of the Foxchester nations that wish to remain citizens of Atlantian Oceania. Hapilopper is willing to do the same thing. There are great individuals that live in those nations, and they don’t change because their government messed up. They don’t become less of a person because their government screwed up. I hope, at least I would hope, that my fellow Hapiloppians will welcome these individuals in with open arms as if it was one of their own.”

Mathis was getting ready to finish up, and he felt the tightness start to erode. He was feeling better about himself.

“Lastly, in the, we hope, faint chance that something happens, rest assured that if any hostilities erupt, Hapilopper will revisit these policies, and we will support any Atlantian Oceanic nation that is attacked. We have to stand together. Every. Single. One. Of. Us. And we will support, whole-heartedly, any decision that is made here during our stay here in Teusland. I want to thank the host delegation from Siovanija and Teusland for your hospitality, and we yield the floor.”

Mathis sat down and reached for his glass of water. Leonard Wolfe, typically Mathis’s archrival in more ways than one, leaned in and smiled.

“Ya did good, Mathis,” Wolfe whispered.

“Thanks,” Mathis responded, smiling at the leader of the opposition of Hapilopper.
HAPILOPPER. Home of TEAM BLUE, Winner of NSSCRA 11/14 and Baptism of Fire 70.
RAISE HELL, PRAISE DALE!
Visit beautiful Esportiva for your next vacation.

Minister

Postby Commonwealth of Baker Park » Thu May 20, 2021 10:10 pm

Rebecca Schoenlein was feeling every minute of the 52nd year of her life sitting here in Stelburg; born on July 21,1969, she was elected the House of Assembly, subscribing to The Oath four months short of her 30th birthday, then chosen as the Leader of the Federalist Party 8 years ago, raising her to the office held by her personal heroine and political role model Lisa Nietman Green. The second woman to serve as Prime Minister of the Commonwealth, she was widely respected across party lines, among foreign dignitaries and peers, and the public at large--she had the highest approval rating of any PM in the 4th year of their second term in history, according to polls.

But she felt extremely weighed down by the events and circumstances swirling around the Foxchester Declaration; over a 40 hour period she contemplated one of the single most important decisions in the history of Baker Park, ranking with the events of October 1977.

She jotted a note and made eye contact with one of the aides from the External Affairs contingent; during a brief pause between speakers, the message was delivered.

Mr. President Mathis,

It would be my honor to have an opportunity to be introduced to you and for our delegations to have a chance to meet for the first time during a break in the conference, as your schedule permits.

Respectfully submitted,
Rebecca Schoenlein
Prime Minister of Baker Park
Eagles Cup 13 Runner-Up
Basketball
AOBC 5 Champions
Football
Lacrosse
WLC President
WLC 38 Third Place
WLC 34/41 Fourth Place
WLC 29 Playoff Round

AO Twenty20 Runner-up

Sarzonia
Powerbroker

Postby Sarzonia » Fri May 21, 2021 6:05 am

With some effort, Lieutenant President Brian Patrick was able to follow along with a Pacitalian video conferencing feed to keep abreast of the goings on in the meeting whilst Haffner was partcipating.

He'd convened the Cabinet in the Situation Room of the Gray House and all the Cabinet Vice Presidents and the Senior Vice Presidents were furiously taking notes. An aide walked up to Patrick after he'd put his pen down and handed him a note. He glanced at it and saw it point out that Nephara was actually not in either Anaia or Atlantian Oceania.

"Bryan, Carter," he said after pausing the video during Mathis's speech. "You need to rescind the ban on Nepharans traveling to Woodstock immediately.

"Bryan, we can't do that," Conway said. "The prohibition against Anaian citizens,"

Patrick put his hand up and said, "stop right there, Bryan. They're not in Anaia. They're in Rushmore."

Conway sat back in his chair as a look of embarrassment crossed his face. He didn't dare look at Marshall, who was shooting him an evil look for refusing to even consider a waiver for Nepharan citizens possibly making the trip to Woodstock."

"Wow, you're right Mr. Lieutenant President. Excuse me, I'll rescind the order against Nepharan citizens straight away."

"And you'll extend your apologies on behalf of the Incorporated States and your assurances that nothing like this will happen again."

"Mr. Lieutenant President," Conway began.

"As President Sarzo would have once said, 'do your fucking job'," Patrick said. "I'm directing you to do so straight away."

"Yes, Mr. Lieutenant President," Conway said. He stood up and quickly left the room, relieved on some level to be away from the hostile gaze of Carter Marshall, who had his own problems on his hands with potentially thousands of Nepharans who suddenly were in the lurch about travel to Woodstock. Sure, they would now be welcome, but on such short notice, with most hotels anywhere near Dave Wilson Stadium being booked solid with fans from across the country, the prospect of staying anywhere in Woodstock or suburban Saugerties was likely out of the question.

Some time after Conway returned from rescinding the order and offering the Incorporated State's, External Affairs, and his own personal apologies, Patrick briefly summed up the speech from Mathis and then added, "Now we need to discuss what to do about iron shipments to Krytenia."

"Well, it's obvious, we stop sales of any munitions or supplies that could be used for warfare to any Anaian nation," Senior Vice President John Newman said.

"That goes without saying," Vice President for Education James Conway said. "But if I'm not mistaken, Krytenia are one of our larger sources of iron exports. We're going to have to figure out how to make up for that loss."

"We can take on some of that ourselves for a probable military buildup," Newman said.

"That may not be a guarantee. Last I saw, the Senate vote is pretty dead split on approving the $100 billion emergency authorisation request from President Haffner," Patrick said. "If there's a tie vote there, I might have to vote to break the tie." And that practice looked to continue as six states already voted against the proposed Article that would officially name the lieutenant president as head of government and retain the presidency as head of state. Two states were perilously close to voting 'no,' which would kill the Article. It may take a war to get the emergency appropriations, although a companion bill that would authorise a tier 3 escalation and an additional $25 billion in defence spending already sailed through the Senate and was well on its way to passage in the House of Delegates.

"I'm sure we have other trading partners who would be more than willing to bridge the gap we'd create by cutting off iron exports to Krytenia," Newman said. "Either way, we can't allow Krytenia to use our iron to fund their war efforts if there's any possibility of hostilities between us and Anaia."

"Agreed," several other Cabinet officials said, then approving the measure by voice vote. Patrick would then communicate the decision, along with a decision to bar exports of anything that could be used as munitions to the Anaian traitors to Haffner.

Euran Oceania Territories
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Euran Oceania Territories » Fri May 21, 2021 5:41 pm

OOC note: The RP below is purely IC, and should not be interpreted as OOC opinions about the AO/Anaia split. This has been copied from the World Cup thread.

The opening statements of the summit from the delegates to speak so far had ranged from stoic to scathing in tone and rhetoric. Chancellor Meier of the host nation had started proceedings with a measured approach, but others had been more impassioned, led initially by Sarzonia’s President Haffner making explosive use of the word “treason” to describe the behaviour of the Foxchester group, and followed by grave warnings of Anaian fifth columns and preparing for conflict from Valanora’s Lathwen Raynor.

So far, there had been nothing to suggest the Euran Foreign Office and OSI were wrong in identifying three forming factions in post-breakaway Atlantian Oceania – the hardliners, the intermediates, and the nobodies. All of this left the Euran Oceania Territories in a very awkward dilemma in the middle – it could not afford to be a nobody, but it could not start picking sides within AO either, let alone between the region and Anaia. A variety of governments from both sides of this dispute were already vying for the Territories loyalties, and even the support of Rushmore’s main power itself.

Their delegation was small but impressive, featuring the following delegates and their aides:

Euran Oceania Territories Territorial Administration
- Rear Admiral Gordon Richards E.E.M - Governor-General, the figurehead of government. Head of the delegation from the EOT side.
- Louise Harriot – Deputy Governor-General, the G-G’s second in command.
- Jamelia Woodhart – Primary Governor, responsible for much of the Territories day to day administration, and soon to be an elected post.
- Oliver Brown - Chief Executive of the Territorial Agency for Regional Affairs, the civil servant most responsible for dealing with EOT’s relationship with the rest of Atlantian Oceania.
Government of the United Federation of Eura
- Carl Rutherford - Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs, the second (sometimes third) most powerful person in the Euran government. Head of the delegation from the Eura side.
- Otis Jarvis - Minister for Atlantian Affairs, a minister within Rutherford’s department responsible for issues involving Atlantian Oceania.
- Ben Buckley - Secretary of State for Overseas Territories and the Endemian Council. The cabinet minister responsible for Eura’s ties with/management of all of its Overseas Territories, including EOT.
- Elena Ford-Jones - Minister for the Euran Oceania Territories, a minister within Buckley’s department responsible specifically for EOT.

Governor-General Richards took his opportunity to speak as early as he could. In his mind, this was too much of an intense situation for a dose of Euran rhetorical sobriety – especially after the stirring peace-making talk of Hapilopper’s William Mathis. He would have to make do with things not going to plan, as he had done before in his naval career many times, and junk his pre-prepared technocratic monologue in favour of something more emotive. ‘First of all, I would like to thank the government of Siovanija and Teusland for arranging this summit and their gracious hospitality.’ He nodded in the direction of the host delegation, mindful that they and the Banijans had been the most eager to get the Territories on board.

‘Not so long ago, the Territorial Administration, and indeed the office I hold, was established to deliver the mighty nation-building mission of the Euran government within the former Calanian Union and Whittorian island chain. Despite all the challenges we have faced, from the long-term effects of the Corvidae War, the Great Collapse in the FCU and the Whittorian impact event, to the more recent struggles of the Great Endemian War and the challenge of rebuilding a physically and socially fractured land, the Territorial Administration and Euran government have, together, succeeded in our mutual goal. That goal was to make a nation. We have achieved that goal.’

‘One of the factors in our success has undoubtedly been the diversity of the people who have built this nation in its earliest years. The Euran Oceania Territories is not just home to former Calanians, Mertagne natives and the near-majority of Euran immigrants; it is home to Quebecois, Audioslavians, Samebans, Banijans, Whittorians, Apoxians, Sunrisians and Hinodejin. As I have said before, a multinational coalition of peoples have enabled us to turn the Territories around, and put them on the path to a prosperous future. The Territories is becoming a green and pleasant land, and would not be without this influx of new citizens.’

‘It is therefore saddening to see the division and nationalism that has suddenly come to the fore in this part of the world. In our Territories, I have heard disturbing reports of vitriolic arguments and disturbances between different contingents of our beautiful diaspora. These are no doubt the result of the same politics of anger that is currently playing out in much of Atlantian Oceania and what we would now call Anaia. It is true that the Anaian nations breakaway was sudden and poorly executed, and we in the Territories are also concerned by the potential for malicious intentions. But the way to deal with that is through diplomacy and understanding. In the opening remarks of this conference, we have seen highly charged talk of a dark future between these two regions, and dire warnings of potential conflict and misery. As a proud Expat, knowing what we have been through, and also as a Euran who has been through our own bloody conflict, I can tell you from experience that such rhetoric is incredibly dangerous.’

‘While it is understandable that emotions are running high, it is our duty as representatives of our peoples to lead by example. Talk of foreign nationals being cast aside as “agents” of their nation of origin, for example, is deeply harmful, and will sow ethnic and nationalist discord throughout the regions.’ The Euran Foreign Secretary Carl Rutherford, sat next to Richards, pursed his lips instinctively, as if he had just seen a needle being prepared and was waiting for the sting in his arm. He had one eye on the delegation from Valanora, who had made the claim that Richards was pointedly challenging. Richard’s next remark would be perhaps his most crucial.

‘I would urge you, my fellow leaders, to remember that this initial period of reaction after this regional split will define, in the eyes of many ordinary people, the rights and wrongs of this affair. If the leaders of Atlantian Oceania are to define this period as one of reactionary zeal and anger, then mark my words, all you will do is drive those closest to you into the arms of others.’ He paused as if to emphasise that point and allow it to hit home. ‘The Territorial Administration of the Euran Oceania Territories will, first and foremost, always defend the interests of its people. The people built this nation, no matter where they were born or have come from, and we owe it to them to serve their interests at all times.’

‘For that reason, we utterly reject and condemn any policy of revocation of citizens rights and deportation as a result of this crisis by any partner nations in either region. There will be no change whatsoever to the Territories interactions with neighbouring states borders and citizens of either region unless we are subjected to restrictions, in which case we may pursue reciprocal measures. We also continue to offer generous incentives to those who may wish to make a home in the Territories – I would say to them, if you don’t feel at home elsewhere in Atlantian Oceania or Anaia anymore, then your home can be in Euran Oceania. Aside from citizens’ rights, there is the pivotal question of economic prosperity. This growing crisis and the sudden assembly of trade barriers that it has prompted could be disastrous for the region, but particularly so for the Territories, which rely heavily on seaborne trade. Any prolonged trade war would have a profound impact on the Territories and millions of innocent people.’

‘Finally, there is the issue of border claims. The emerging dispute over the South Calanian territory is deeply concerning, and we urge other states to consider an amicable discussion in order to seek mutual agreement, with the Territories included at all stages of that discussion. I will now hand over to my colleague, the Foreign Secretary of Eura, on whom the Territories rely for defence, security and foreign policy.’ At this point, the more cynical AO political observers will have perked up. It was not an uncommon view that the Territories were simply an extension of Eura, a colonial offshoot, and that people like the Governor General were really just administrative figureheads. To them, Foreign Secretary Rutherford was the real power behind the throne.

In his mind, Richard’s speech was a problem. Yes, it did not take sides between the two regions – Bastion was keen to maintain strategic ambiguity about its intentions at this stage - nor did it break from policy agreed with the motherland. But by going off script Richards had set out principles that gave Eura less position to manoeuvre in negotiating on behalf of its dominion, and drawn a line in the sand with the hardliner group of nations – Valanora and Sarzonia, most crucially – before the Euran government itself had a word to say about it. But he couldn’t well say all of this publicly could he? ‘Thank you, Governor General Richards, for that impassioned contribution.’ Richards nodded with a smile, apparently not picking up on the subtext.

‘Of course, the Euran Government has a deep interest in this situation. Firstly, I would like to reiterate our full and unwavering commitment to the security, prosperity and health of the Euran Oceania Territories as a semi-autonomous dominion, perhaps the fastest growing nation in the Atlantian Oceania region. Upcoming reforms to introduce elections for a devolved government continue at a rapid pace, but Eura will retain and always uphold its solemn duty to the Territories, just as we have done time and time again in their short history. To ensure the continuing stability of the Territories during this period of uncertainty, the Government has agreed with the Territorial Administration an economic support package to weather the current crisis. The Euran Navy has also decided to extend indefinitely its deployment of Carrier Strike Group Seven to the region.’

‘Now, this is a crisis that has quite clearly provoked strong reactions. That is understandable. However, as my Territorial colleague delicately explained, the Euran Government at minimum expects states in the region to continue obeying their obligations under the rules based international system, whether that be through respecting citizens rights, or maintaining freedom of navigation in international waters. Eura will of course take any steps required to protect its own interests in this regard, but we also aim to support the greater wellbeing of the two regions through strengthening multilateral institutions. The Stelburg Accords proposals under discussion offer steps forwards that we could feasibly be supportive of, such as the formation of an Atlantian Oceanian Assembly of Nations. However, we will reserve judgement on the South Calania dispute pending legal advice and a constructive international dialogue.’

Rutherford had a final point, one he knew would be particularly important for those with an interest in pulling Eura itself into this debacle on either side. ‘My Government is increasingly concerned, as must be many others, by the increasing militarisation of this situation. The formation of the North Eastern Alliance Treaty Organisation, and proposed counter of a Stelburg Treaty Organisation, do little to strengthen the security of this part of the world. There is a legitimate question for the NEATO states to answer – if, as they say, their intentions are peaceful and they did not anticipate Atlantian Oceania concern about this schism, then why pre-emptively bring together such an organisation at all? And in turn, what is the purpose of forming a “Stelburg Pact” other than to escalate the situation unnecessarily, before real diplomatic efforts have been made? There is a very real risk here that a cold war is being generated between Atlantian Oceania and Anaia from nothing. And it is for that reason that, currently, the Euran Government has no plans to facilitate the Territories joining any such organisation, as it would be counter to the interests of the Territories, of Eura, and of the two regions as a whole. Thank you.’

Sarzonia
Powerbroker

Postby Sarzonia » Sat May 22, 2021 12:30 pm

[OOC: This is copied form the World Cup thread for reference here.]

The dressing room was normally a place for the Sarzonian national football team to get away from everyday life. After victories or draws against higher-regarded sides, it was usually a place that featured a lot of off-key singing (or on-key if you were team captain Clayton Wilson), laughing, joking, and great examples of camaraderie. After losses or draws against teams they were expected to win, it was sometimes a sombre place for the players to go over their mistakes both physical and mental.

Thus, the tension in the away dressing room after Sarzonia defeated Togonistan 2-1 and moved up the Group 12 table to sixth place would have felt out of place to the untrained eye. Defender Charlie King was snapping "no comment" repeatedly as reporters kept asking him about the controversy surrounding the rogue Anaian nations attempting to secede from Atlantian Oceania. Most of the other players also did the same.

The only one willing to go on record at all was Wilson, who addressed the controversy in comments made to Portland Press-Herald reporter Jonice Wallace.

"It's an unfortunate situation," he said. "Many of the people in those countries are familiar faces to us. The locations like Jhanna, Emberton, and other cities are like second homes to some of us. I hope players like [Wilson's step-cousin Emmett Lang, a centre midfielder playing in Starblaydia's third division] don't get left in the lurch.

"As far as the Anaian nations are concerned, I think President Haffner's being too hasty calling it treason," he said. "We need to tamp down the rhetoric, not inflame tensions."

Midfielder Brady Reynolds refused to speak on record, but saw The Woodstock Daily Mail's Travis West and motioned for him to follow him to assistant manager Nathan Hanifer's office after Reynolds saw him depart for the team bus.

"I'll tell you what I think, but I don't want my name getting out there," Reynolds said. "Agreed," West said, deciding to either use the comments as background information or quote them without attribution.

"I think the Foxchester countries are a bunch of traitors. Frankly, the President isn't doing enough," Reynolds told West. "We let 15 [Starblaydi] visas expire and only, what, five of the diplomats even applied to renew them? That's just symbolism. It's performative bullshit."

Manager Nicola Mentes, a native of Megistos, which is not in either Atlantian Oceania or Anaia, declined to comment.

"That's completely beyond my qualifications to comment," he said. Hanifer also declined, saying, "I'm not paid to deal with these questions."

The Gray House and the government complex nearby isn't that far away from Dave Wilson Stadium, but in another sense, it felt like a world away. Senior Vice President Conway reviewed the communicade from his Krytenian counterpart Gavin Mycroft, minister of Regional and Foreign Affairs, Emberton's equivalent to Woodstock's External Affairs Department. He noted with satisfaction that Emberton has already worked to comply with Sarzonian directives to remove Krytie military personnel from Sarzonian territory. The Royal Krytenian Military Police's continued presence at the embassy compound was a small compromise to make to ensure that tensions didn't escalate further.

Conway sent his own communicade to Mycroft agreeing with the request to allow the Royal Krytenian Military Police a temporary reprieve whilst a permanent solution was found. The mention of Raynor City's far more draconian response than those of either Saltstead or Woodstock made Conway grimace. He'd certainly tried his best to keep his emotions in check and ensure that Sarzonia's response was in fact a measured and proportionate response to the actions of the Foxchester declarants. That's why Haffner's use of "treason" to describe the Foxchester Declaration was so damning. It turned up the dial of tensions just as Sarzonia was hoping to help them deescalate.

Relations between Sarzonia and Valanora weren't particularly close, but if there were a good reason for détente between the nations, being on the same side of this dispute would provide it. Conway wasn't sure if he would be able to smooth things over between his Vanorian counterpart and Mycroft. He wasn't even sure if President Haffner would necessarily approve the idea. With that said, he was certain to have an uncomfortable conversation, which he hoped to propose take place in Raynor City rather than Saltstead or Woodstock. Bilateral relations between Valanora and Sarzonia certainly would be on the docket; but Conway also felt the need to remind his Vanor counterparts of how disproportionate he felt their response was.

As for nations that weren't previously Atlantian Oceania nations that joined Anaia, that was a subject that really hadn't been discussed, but the prevailing sentiment in the Situation Room and among most of the bipartisan discussions in Parliament was to treat any countries that weren't originally in Atlantian Oceania the same way they'd treat any other country that wasn't part of the region and wasn't necessarily hostile. In a worst case scenario, they could perhaps have an embassy devoted in part to being a Sarzonian interests section. Conversely, they could also serve as an interests section for Anaian nations if the split were in fact finalised.

These remained strange times no matter what for Sarzonia and for many of her regional partners, both on the pitch and well away from it.
Last edited by Sarzonia on Sat May 22, 2021 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Banija
Senator

Founded: Mar 06, 2015
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Banija » Sat May 22, 2021 3:05 pm

OOC: The below post does not reflect my OOC views about the establishment of the Anaia Region, and only reflects Banija's IC views regarding these developments.

Kabaka= King
Luguba= Queen Consort
Isebantu= Crown Prince
Omugabe= Prince
Omugaba= Princess
Katikkiro= Prime Minister

Kabaka Mwanga at the Stelburg Conference

The Kabaka had spent the past week gathering his thoughts and formulating his position before arriving in Stelburg. It was a truly momentous conference- a gathering of basically the most important politicians in each AO state, including the Rushmori politicians from Eura. After having listened to a few dignitaries speak, the Kabaka raised his hand. It was clear that he was going to speak.

As he rose, he looked gathered a few of his notes and then started speaking himself.

"My friends, the fact that we are all here today, even if we are meeting in less than ideal circumstances if I say so myself, is momentous in and of itself. It is rare that meetings of this high a level take place, and there is no better place to do it than Stelburg. I give my thanks to Chancellor Meier, whom I consider a dear friend, for organizing this meeting and bringing us all here to this pristine castle.

First, to address the proposals from Chancellor Meier. Specifically, the idea of a AO Assembly of Nations, or I'll call it an AO Assembly as a working title for short. As described, this Kingdom would be enthusiastic members, and for this to consist of all of our remaining members would be highly beneficial for everybody involved. Some many see this as closing ranks- but rather, I see it as increasing cooperation between willing states and partners. Say what you want about the Foxchester participants, but they did not fear being bold to make change. Atlantian Oceania has to be willing to respond in kind. An AO Assembly can ensure that we continue to garner trust between the remaining nations of AO, and strengthen our bonds as we brave towards a new world."

The Kabaka took a pause. He glanced over at the Eura/EOT delegation, knowing that he had to pick his words carefully. Banija was going to lobby heavily for the EOT to stay in AO, and he did not want to alienate them. At the same time, defense was absolutely a topic that needed to be addressed. "Regional defense cooperation is something that is considered normal. We see it in other regions- the brand new Esportivan Union coming, the Common Rushmori Community, and now, NEATO. This doesn't mean that NEATO isn't unprecedented or not a cause for concern- many of their nations left common defensive organizations with many of our nations, like AORDO, to form their own."

"Considering how many of their nations were integral members of AORDO, we feel that it would be best to form a new regional defense organization, that would replace AORDO. A Stelburg Pact, or whatever we would like to call it. A common defense organization in response to this Anaia secession would be imminently reasonable. It would not cause tensions to rise more than they already have. It helps us provide for the common defense. Remember, NEATO, while immediately on our minds, is not the only threat out there. What if in the future, another one of our nations gets threatened by a nation we've never heard of? Nations and empires rise and fall every single day. AORDO, at this point, with so many of its nations gone, is as good as dead letter. Many of our nations have not bothered with bilateral defense agreements with AO nations because we have the multilateral ones through AORDO. But what happens with AORDO essentially being gone?"

"We have border nations that we should come together and defend. What we know today is true- the Anaia nations cannot be called upon to defend AO from outside threats. That is why, when we are gathered here with so many dignitaries, I see it important that we leave this place with a new regional defense organization."

"We also must talk about changes to trade, commerce, and immigration. Many of our nations, including Banija, have trade, travel, and migration policies that rely heavy on the status as AO nations, that are now automatically expired. Somebody who, 10 days ago, was considered an AO citizen with their Krytenian citizenship, is now no longer considered an AO citizen under our law. And, like I presume many of you, our law was not built to deal with a mass secession like this on such short notice- or aka, no notice at all. It has thrown many parts of law on those three issues in Banija into chaos."

"And I mean literal chaos- a steel shipment that set sail from Krytenia the day before the Foxchester Declaration, was in the open water when the Declaration was signed and made effective immediately, suddenly had incorrect customs paperwork. Suddenly had to pay double in tariff rates, and had two days to come up with the money whenever they reached port in Banija. That was part of the irresponsibility of the secrecy of the move- all these businesses thrown into chaos, the trade authorities of each nation scrambling to keep up."

"But the position that we announced publicly will stand. Only Chromatika will be allowed to trade with Banija under AO favored nation status, while Quebecois trade is accounted for under other treaties. All other Anaia nations shall essentially lose AO favored nation status. It is not a sanction per say- but a reflection of reality. They left willing partnership with Banija by leaving the region, therefore, they have chosen to walk away from the privileges that come with being a member of Atlantian Oceania. But we do not intend to launch any economic sanctions on Anaia nations at this time. We think it is unwise, and will launch a trade war tit for tat that hurts everybody. Banija has worked hard for the growth we have achieved in my father's reign and my own. When I was born, Banija was a low income country. We have gotten through middle income, and we have essentially just reached true first world economic status. That economic success we have had cannot be threatened. Our suggestion, instead of sanctions, are tighter economic bonds between the remainder of AO. Maybe a full-fledged free trade agreement is a step too far, but trade preferences. Trust in trade agreements. Allowing AO students the ability to cross borders to study. That will bring benefits to us all."

"In terms of immigration. Let us be clear- Banija will not deport any Anaia citizens already living within our borders. We do not want to add to the chaos by blaming citizens abroad for the actions of their governments back home. That will only cause mistrust for our governments, which is not the goal here. We also will not, at this time, encourage Banijan citizens living abroad in Anaia to return home unless the situation comes clear that Banijans are in danger abroad. With that said, if we are going to discuss some sort of joint refugee program for Anaia citizens who wish to remain Atlantian Oceanian, Banija will participate in a program hosting those sorts of political refugees."

"And lastly, in terms of the border, we agree with the position set out by Prime Minister Schoenlein. But we should not leave our border nations, or enclave nations, by themselves. Nations like Baker Park, who defend our borders, and like Sarzonia, who are suddenly alone in hostile territory, will have our support, and hopefully the support of everybody else here."

Confident that he had addressed everything he had needed to discuss, the Kabaka sat down.
Former champion of quite a few things. Former President of even more things.
Kabaka = King
Lubuga = Queen Consort
Isebantu = Crown Prince
Waziri = Foreign Minister
Katikkiro = Prime Minister
Omugabe/Omugaba= Prince/Princess
Banija Domestic Sports | Map of Banija
NSCF 14 CHAMPIONS(Loyola-Istria), NSCF 17 CHAMPIONS(Loyola-Istria), NSCF 19 CHAMPIONS(Northern Moravica), NSCF 21 CHAMPIONS(Loyola-Istria)
Sporting World Cup 8. WBCs 47 & 51. Di Bradini Cup 47. World Cup 86. IBC 30, 31, 32, 33. National Trophy Cabinet.
Does your country need public transit? Contact the RTC!
If you see this, assume you have an embassy in my country and we have an embassy in yours!

Busoga Islands
Envoy

Founded: May 31, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Busoga Islands » Sat May 22, 2021 4:11 pm

President Kasekende Sr. at the Stelburg Conference

The Busogan President knew that he might be the least influential person in this room. When you saw the amount of bigger nations, literal empires, and compared that with the heft of the Busoga Islands, it was clear that while this was the room where it happened, it would be unlikely that he would wield a ton of influence.

Busoga Islands was a poor nation of only around 12 million people. Only maybe Farfadillis had less influence? And that was because they had recently take 5 nukes on direct hits, as well as not having a government. Otherwise- yeah.

But President Kasekende Sr. was here. There wasn't any underlying statistics that would support Busoga having an influential role in what was happening, besides his own ability to personally get along with everyone in the room. With the Kabaka having spoken, he felt that now would be the best time to get his thoughts out.

"Thank you, your Majesty." The President said as Kabaka Mwanga of Banija took his seat.

"I'm not going to speak for long. But the Busoga Islands are a strong supporter of a united and whole Atlantian Oceania, and we want our voice to be heard at the table today."

"For a nation such as ours, we have a history. One of the legacies of the Banijan-Equestrian War, known in my own country as the Busogan War of Independence, means that among the many large pockets of Banijan refugees and migrants around the multiverse, a number of Busogans sit in those populations. It's hard to keep track of exactly how many- most of those people have migrated when this country was part of Banija, and of course, it has been much more difficult to update citizenship when people are abroad."

"There is a high amount of stress and concern in Lakiska that Busogan citizens get used as pawns. There have not been any major effort to deport Busogan citizens, or deprive them of their rights(like liberty or property) in Anaia yet, although that is most certainly possible. What we propose is that if we are faced with a situation where any Anaia nation deports AO citizens en masse, that AO nations work together to process getting our people home. We fear a humanitarian crisis if something like that happens, and whatever Busogan diplomatic personnel in that country is not able to service such a large load of Busogan citizens returning home at once, and Busogans are stranded and homeless in a land where they have no rights and no ability to get home. We would hope that would include things like getting AO citizens to the closest possible AO nations, if necessary, to ensure that Busogan and AO citizens are at least in a safe third country while we can sort out getting them home."

"Beyond that, we are supportive of many of the proposals that are spoken of today. Both of the idea for regional defense cooperation, aka a proposed Stelburg Pact, as well as a AO Assembly of Nations. The proposed Stelburg Pact would ensure that we coalesce around each other and take charge of our future. We don't know what the future holds, like his Majesty just said. We don't know if Anaia is friend or foe. We do know that even if they are friend, their acting of leaving AORDO means that they will not help us if we face another outside threat. Nations rises from the ashes and CTE into the abyss every day. So we support that."

"An Assembly of Nations is a good idea as well. We all come from vastly different nations- different demographics, histories, lineages, forms of government. But we all want the same things- freedom to live, and the ability to cooperate. Having an Assembly like this can help us air out any inevitable differences we have diplomatically and regularly, and helps us rapidly react in times of crisis."

"In terms of economics, Busoga has not made any decisions regarding economic policy changes, and will not make any until after this conference is done. For the moment, Anaia nations will be treated as if they are in AO." Kabaka Mwanga raised his eyebrows, but the President continued undeterred. "This will not continue for long, however. What we will do in terms of that will be decided after I go home with tangible results from this conference."

Pacitalia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 06, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Pacitalia » Sat May 22, 2021 7:08 pm

Andreadis clicked the button in the videoconferencing software to raise his "virtual" hand and waited for the Busogan president to finish his remarks. Once the Siovanija & Teusland staff helping run the meeting signalled he could go ahead, he unmuted his line.

"I want to thank President Kasekende and His Majesty for their remarks, and, to build off the President's point," he said, "I share his concerns that there be equity in these proceedings. Pacitalia may be a large country, with a long history, and we may wield significant economic, cultural and political influence both regionally and internationally. But I want to assure everyone here that the Pacitalian position is that everyone participating in these talks are equals. And we intend to facilitate that, and to demonstrate this in our actions, not just in what we say. This is a generational opportunity for us to secure our region's future, through a multitude of means. Increased cooperation and integration benefit us all. Similarly, we benefit from sharing our perspectives with the larger group. I hope that helps to reassure you, Mr. President, in at least some way. Our shared influence on these proceedings will come from equal footing."

"That being said," he continued, "we do not wish to create the impression that we intend to antagonize counterpart nations or contribute to increased tensions. We view these measures we have taken as necessary, but ultimately, and hopefully, temporary, while we establish a new normalcy. These changes are the manifestation of the Pacitalian view that what is happening in the Foxchester signatory nations is political instability. As a result, any measures taken to date are simply to ensure we have surveillance in place, and remove — for now — preferential status for the movement of people or goods, as others here have done, and to reiterate to Pacitalians abroad that the changing situation may require them to pay more attention to what is happening and prepare for the possibility they may need to return home."

"Speaking for the Republic, let me assure all those assembled here our previous briefing from my cabinet colleagues was only meant as informative because we want to keep you all apprised of the pre-emptive measures we have taken. I want to clarify that Pacitalia will not be an aggressor. Our armed forces are called Defence Forces for a reason. We will use our might for good and we will wield it responsibly. Speaking as the foreign minister, I absolutely agree that our diplomatic strategy must be the priority. We should not assume that there is no path forward just as we should not assume we are automatically entering a sort of cold war. We echo the comments that formal resolution to land claims and any disputes arising therefrom be our primary point of review with Foxchester signatories."

"We should not make assumptions and we should not close off the means of communication. As Secretary Rutherford noted, it would be a critical mistake and a massive setback if we misread these nations' intent, especially with the knowledge that they did not expect such indignation in response to their decision. If this is true, then of course, we must work from there in good faith. We can be disappointed, saddened, or upset over their desire and decision to break away and, at the same time, seek to strengthen or at least reaffirm our bonds outside the region. Pacitalia, for example, has enjoyed cordial to warm relations in the past with some of these nations, especially Krytenia and Starblaydia. We are dooming ourselves if we do not seek to understand the reasons why and try to learn from those reasons. Our intelligence even suggests that some nations in the breakaway faction are starting to get cold feet, and more extensively than appears on the surface. As President Mathis said, we should not discount the fact that earnest diplomatic efforts could undermine their resolve."

"I'm also glad that President Kasekende has mentioned the issue of handling migratory issues beyond simply assisting asylum seekers and other refugees. Pacitalia has contingency plans at the ready for mass deportation of its own nationals, though thankfully have never been in a position to make use of them. We most definitely agree that a coordinated, mutual Safe Third Country strategy is a great idea."

"One last point — I acknowledge the comments from the Kabaka on Atlantian Oceania's defence treaty organization. It is absolutely a valid point that our regional defence strategy needs refreshing. I don't think anyone will argue to the contrary. However, I can say that Timiocato is not sure we necessarily need to replace AORDO with another organization, and perhaps we can review whether it's just as effective to repurpose and refocus the existing body — how it's funded, how member nations participate, what are its goals, the extent its integrated with existing national armed forces, and so on. Thank you."
Pacitalian Republic
Repubblica Pacitaliana

RP population (est. May 2021): 414,440,614
Capital and largest city: Timiocato
Founding date: 21st November 1503
Archonate (head of state): Abeo Bamidele
Prime Minister (head of government): Damián Moya
Land area: 4,600,674 sq km
Official languages: Pacitalian, English nationally; Marqueríana (Spanish) and Empordán (Catalan) regionally
Location: On the continent of Foringana, southeast of Atlantian Oceania
Telephone calling code: +2
Internet TLDs: .pc, .rp

Sarzonia
Powerbroker

Postby Sarzonia » Sun May 23, 2021 4:20 pm

[OOC: This is copied from the World Cup thread in NS Sports.]

Admiral Peter Graves patrolled the deck of the newly commissioned aircraft carrier ISS Patinkin, pretending to be interested in the CIWS technology and command centre advances from his days as the captain of the ISS Catherina.

He was feeling pensive as the overall commanding officer of the four naval task forces assembled to show the flag and remind the Foxchester traitors that Sarzonian reprisal could still be devastating.

The task force commanders were all waiting in Graves's ready room as Task Forces Whiskey, Tango, Alpha and Foxtrot all awaited instructions. Graves finished reading the communication from the Vice President in command of Sarzonia's Navy. He walked in, said "as you were," after the three Rear Admirals stood at attention.

"I just got off the phone with Vice President Dylan Mackey," he said. "We are tasked with maintaining position in international waters outside the Anaian sub-region and conduct exercises to ensure our readiness," he said. "We don't want to do anything provocative, but if one of the rogue nations tries any shit, we have license to do whatever is necessary."

"Including a nuclear strike?" Rear Admiral Thomas Blake asked. Even with a male name, Blake identified as female. She was anything but a supporter of an aggressive stance against Anaia, and if the decision came to a vote on the use of nuclear weapons, she was a guaranteed vote against that escalation. She was in command of Task Force Whiskey.

"No, Tom, that's off the table," Graves said. "At least for now." Graves was noticeably relieved to impart that particular news to his command personnel. Woodstock was content with a show of force if it was absolutely necessary, but war was clearly the last thing anyone in Woodstock wanted.

"Have you heard anything from Jhanna about the consular personnel we expelled?" Rear Admiral Noah Clayton asked. He was in command of Task Force Foxtrot, which was the largest of the task forces being assembled. Clayton

"It wasn't actually an expulsion," Graves said. "Ten of their low level staffers allowed their visas to expire and they're on their way back to Starblaydia now. Five more people didn't have their visas renewed even though they filed the appropriate paperwork in time. I think one guy kept crashing cars and mooning full bars or some shit like that. I think Woodstock City Police are happy to get rid of that guy. He had definite overgrown frat boy energy."

"I thought External Affairs was going to expel more staff."

"I mean there are 20 more visa renewal applications that External Affairs is looking at. I haven't gotten word what the outcome is of that review process. I don't think we're going to expel anyone unless they provide cause."

"What's the situation with Krytenia?" Rear Admiral Ingrid Oosterhuit, in command of Task Force Tango asked. "Last I heard they were moving military assets out."

"They're almost done, but External Affairs approved a request to allow the Royal Krytenian Military Police to remain at the embassy along with their equipment. My read is that Woodstock and Emberton might be amenable to a 'new normal' for Krytie-Sarzonian relations, though I doubt seriously that we're going to resume iron shipments there anytime soon."

Rear Admiral Riley Price was the nominal commander of Task Force Alpha, but Admiral Graves and the ISS Patinkin were both leading that task force. It was their job to monitor the situation in Audioslavia, although that was hardly considered a hotspot in the way Starblaydia was. They monitored the communicates in the event Cathair wanted direct dialog with Woodstock ... or wanted to initiate hostilities.

That said, Price felt it was more likely that a visit to Raynor City was in the offing, although it was likely to be as a ceremonial escort for a mission to strengthen ties between Valanora and Sarzonia that had been treated with neglect for years.

Whether that meant an international trip for External Affairs to Raynor City or for a trip back to Woodstock for talks was anyone's guess.

After the meeting adjourned, Graves asked Price if they were keeping up with World Cup qualifying.

"Not really," they said. "I think we're playing better of late, but I don't really pay much attention to it."
Last edited by Sarzonia on Sun May 23, 2021 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sarzonia
Powerbroker

Postby Sarzonia » Tue May 25, 2021 12:57 pm

[OOC: This was also posted in the World Cup thread.]

Col. Marcia Weston had spent the better part of the day in a Zoom conference with her superiors in Sarzonia's AORDO command and missed the departure of Krytenian military assets from the airport in Wilmington.

She watched the footage on the local television broadcast. She drew in her breath slowly and exhaled, staring down into the mug of decaffeinated tea she'd made for herself. It had been a long day and she wanted to drink something that would help her unwind. She hated coffee, and wouldn't have wanted to spend extra on the Squornshelan product that she used to buy whenever she had guests who wanted to drink coffee. She saw the signs, the faces contorted in anger, heard the shouts. "Go home, Kryties!" "Bloody traitors!" and those were just the ones the local station saw fit to broadcast.

If she'd somehow accompanied the Krytenian forces and Col. Nathaniel Abraham to the airport, she would have looked with disappointment at the shouting from the Wilmingtonian populace. They weren't known for their nationalist zeal. In fact, they were usually fairly welcoming to Krytenia. In fact, there was a small neighbourhood a few blocks from the airport that included a number of ex-pats who'd made their home in Sarzonia. She was friendly with Col. Abraham, to the point where they each occasionally stopped by the other's residence for tea and commiseration about various complaints about recruits or drill sergeants who didn't exactly endear themselves to their higher-ups. And they occasionally talked footie, including Sarzonia's current struggles in the World Cup.

But to see a population that had previously welcomed Krytenians, be they soldiers or civilians with open arms now viciously turn their backs on what had been a rewarding relationship was a blow Col. Weston felt unprepared for. She saw a text message from fellow Col. Julian Westmoreland, whom she knew was her counterpart in Hastings, which housed the similar Sarzonian contingent as it was preparing to leave Krytenian soil to return to Wilmington. It asked her to contact him via Zoom.

"I'm Zoom-fatigued," she texted back. "I've been in meetings all day on Zoom."

"I understand, but I really need to talk to you," Westmoreland texted back. She rolled her eyes, then fired up her Zoom.

"Listen, Colonel, we're about to board the plane to fly back," he said, not even waiting for pleasantries or small talk about the weather or about World Cup qualifying. "We've seen a few Krytenians with signs, but just some looks of sadness out here. Am I understanding correctly that Wilmingtonians were protesting?"

"Yes, Colonel," she said. "A lot of shouting and screaming and fists in the air. It's rather unfortunate."

"Yeah, we've been lucky here. There's a split in sentiment here about the region, but most of the people I've talked to are rather upset about the state of Krytie-Sarzonian relations. A few ex-pats from Sarzonia apparently gave some longtime friends the cold shoulder at a recent party I attended here."

"That's a shame. I really wish our government weren't so aggressive about pushing these countries away."

After the conversation, Weston picked up the saucer containing her tea. It had now grown cold. She sighed. That wasn't even the biggest disappointment on this day.

Sitting in their office with Senior Vice President and External Affairs Officer Bryan Conway across from them, Deputy Senior Vice President Tam Carter reviewed the report from Maj. Gen. Eric Yancey. They nodded their head and said matter-of-factly, "Our AORDO Central Command reports that all Anaian forces save the Krytenian embassy compound military police have departed Sarzonia and are now either home or are en route."

Conway smiled. "Thank you, Tam. Nice work."

"There is one other thing I wanted to talk to you about, Mr. Senior Vice President," Carter said.

"Sure, Tam. What is it?"

Carter drew in their breath and exhaled.

"You don't think we're being a little bit too ... hasty with all this? I mean, we haven't even heard anything from Catherina about their plans and we're pursuing a foreign policy that's two wrong steps away from outright war."

Conway's smile quickly melted away and be began to feel the heat of anger build up for a moment, but then he realised: They're right. Sarzonia has been rattling its sabre aggressively. Granted, most of the hostility has been purple-hued, but even Audioslavs, whose relationship with Woodstock was hardly as deeply entrenched as either Jhanna or Emberton, were finding themselves on the wrong end of a drawn Sarzonian sword.

"We've already sent word to task forces Whiskey, Alpha, Tango, and Foxtrot to remain in international waters and not encroach upon any Anaian nation's territorial waters," Conway said. "Our Navy remains among the best-trained military forces in the entire multiverse. I doubt very many nations want to even consider facing off against the ISN."

Carter nodded in agreement. The Incorporated Sarzonian Navy had long been the pride, the identity of Sarzonia. It was a military force that caused even the largest, most powerful countries in the entire multiverse to put Sarzonia on their "do not fuck with" list. The Navy was powerful enough, competent enough, and ornery enough to even allow a small naval force to realistically threaten a much larger power ... and get said power to back down. She knew Sarzonians would not put trigger-happy recruits on the front lines in the event a Starblaydi fighter jet decided to take liberties and fly perilously close to a Sarzonian warship. Obviously, if a Jhannan fighter jet pilot mimicked a kamikaze attack or fired first, Sarzonia would be more than capable of fighting back harshly.

"But still, I think we made our point with sanctions. Maybe we could actually expel a few Starblaydis if we wanted to prove a point, but unless Jhanna does something to up the ante, I don't see why we should do anything of the sort."

"They haven't reacted. That's the point," Conway said. "There's been nothing but radio silence from the Starblaydis since we sent home 15 of their diplomatic staff. And reports from Archie Dunham [the Sarzonian ambassador to Starblaydia] are that their citizens are going out of their way to be extra nice to Sarzonians. He's concerned there's something up with that."

"Well, we haven't gotten firm intelligence, or even anything pointing to a specific, credible threat," Carter said. "I've just gone over the latest intel with Intelligence Deputy VP [Clarissa] Brighton. There's some chatter about potential spies in the Starblaydi embassy, but we've been pretty careful to monitor what information they get access to."

"But still. You'd think there'd be some kind of condemnation or something."

"That's just it. The opposite of love isn't hate. It's indifference. That's what they're showing us now."

"Well, two can play that. Should we issue a statement that even if any of the Anaian nations wanted to rejoin Atlantian Oceania that they would not be welcome back?"

"That's too hasty. Besides, President Haffner wouldn't approve it unless the Stelburg Conference decides to implement that."

"But what about the Krytenian press officer's speech?"

"What about it?"

"The closing part, about Anaia meaning 'brother'."

"Now that's something we can -- and should -- address."

An hour later, just before the daytime staff were ready to leave for the day, Conway stepped up to the dais in the External Affairs press room.

"We note with appreciation the Krytenian government's timely response to our calls for them to remove their military assets from Sarzonian territory, and the fact that a vast majority of Krytenian civilians have also done the same," he said. "However, I feel compelled to address the comment from their army spokeswoman about the current state of Sarzonian-Krytenian relations.

"You say the door is not closed; yet you have closed it. You have chosen to walk away from the region and from your friendship with the Sarzonian people. The decision to depart the region is bad enough, but the decision to do so surreptitiously, to align yourself with an anti-diplomatic power who might otherwise be considered hostile to democracy and to Sarzonian interests is one that we cannot easily forgive, nor can we easily forget.

"We may in time restore some form of diplomatic ties with Emberton. We may eventually repair some of our bonds of friendship with the Krytenian government. But right now, the wounds are too fresh. The betrayal is too raw."

Following the speech, Conway saw the look of disappointment and consternation in Carter's face. He didn't think he'd fucked up, but he knew his subordinate wanted his speech to be noticeably more conciliatory than it ended up being. Whether that was a mistake that would cost Sarzonia in general or External Affairs in particular was anyone's guess. But the divide that threatened to tear Atlantian Oceania completely asunder was now showing a crack within Sarzonia's External Affairs Department itself.
Last edited by Sarzonia on Tue May 25, 2021 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Siovanija and Teusland
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 01, 2017
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Siovanija and Teusland » Tue May 25, 2021 4:04 pm

Chancellor Dominik Meier patiently listened as many of the delegates present at the Castle for the Stelburg Conference had made their opinions and ideals clear. Meier knew there were two factions growing, those who favoured a harsh response to the Anaian breakaway states, and those who were perhaps not quite as harsh and favoured a more reasoned approach to the new region.

Meier knew that any success at this conference would be found only if these two sides could come together and work - because ultimately, what was at stake here wasn’t Anaia, it was the future of Atlantian Oceania. This was a fork in the road moment - and when Meier rose to speak again, he wanted to make that clear.

“My friends, I am glad to see our conversation continuing, and I look forward to hearing further thoughts as we continue our conference.” He paused for a quick sip of water, before getting right to it.

“My friends, we have an important choice to make, together. Will Atlantian Oceania continue to be a strong beacon of light to the world? Or will we instead shutter ourselves off and forget our great history and our responsibility?

Over the past few days, I have been inspired by the conversations I have had with many of you. Leaders of different backgrounds, from different systems of government, from different parts of our region. Leaders I have met before, leaders visiting our country for the first time. What struck me is, despite all of those differences, we all strongly believe in the one thing that unites us: the idea of Atlantian Oceania.

For some of us, that means great tradition. For some, it means a long history of relations. Some of us are newer to our great region, and are looking to find their place. Some might be wondering what their place is, after the recent events.

But we have seen these unifying goals in many places, even in this conference. We have seen it in the broad acceptance of the idea of an Assembly of Nations, to bring ourselves closer together. It isn’t turning our back on the world, no - it is opening up to each other, and thus the world. We have seen it in nations like Banija and Busoga, Hapilopper and Wreckeria, coming together in this room - nations that may not agree on much, but can agree that together, we are better. We have seen it in the offer from states like Busoga and Pacitalia to work on the humanitarian side of this crisis. We see it in the very fact that we are gathered in this room, together. Atlantian Oceania has faced this crisis, and rather than facing doom, we have risen.

We must not let anger doom us to letting go of those ideals. I think all of us in this room were shocked hearing of the Foxchester Declaration. All of us were angry. That anger isn’t something that will go away overnight - it is a wound that may never be fully resolved. But if we let it dominate us, if we let it dictate how we go forward, then the Foxchester Seventeen have truly ruined our great region. Individual states can, of course, make their own relations with nations as they please. They can make the decisions they feel necessary to secure their population. Each of us in this room understands how difficult the choices we face in our positions are. But as a region, united, our goal must be to make Atlantian Oceania a better place - and we can only do that by coming together and standing above.

I do not believe that this will go down as a dark period in our history. I believe, in fact, that it can be seen as a renaissance - spurring the recognition of greater collaboration, of better relations between our nations as friends, being needed for the future. But only if we can come together. If we do not, we risk leaving many within our region and around the world questioning our motives, cutting us out, and taking away that image of Atlantian Oceania that has garnered such respect around the world.

My friends, do not let the anger shared between us come to be a force of division. Here in Stelburg, we have a monument dedicated to the lighthouse keepers who braved stormy nights to keep a light on for the ships returning home from sea, be they fishermen or vessels of the old Teus Empire. Atlantian Oceania is facing our own storm - every single one of us must be brave enough to keep our light on, brighter than even. Only then can we move forward as one region.”

The Chancellor was in a hard position. He understood the anger felt by many delegations at the conference - it was anger he himself had felt, as had many in his government. Hundreds of years of ties had been thrown away. But it was important to rally the delegates, and remind them the risks that could come about - they could lose a lot more than just the Foxchester Seventeen. The Euran Oceania Territories’ Governor General had made that quite clear in his remarks as well, and Meier hoped to re-emphasize that point.

Pausing to let his speech be heard, Meier continued, building off some ideas that had been discussed so far.

“Siovanija & Teusland are, of course, on board with the Atlantian Oceania Assembly of Nations idea, and we are glad to have heard such positive feedback on this proposal. We look forward to being part of such an institution, and believe it can have a real positive effect on our region.

In terms of defence, this will obviously be an important issue. As many have mentioned, it is important to make clear again - we are not looking to threaten Anaia, nor any region or state. We are looking to simply expand on the ties already present between our nations and ensure we have the ability to defend each other. Our regional defence hierarchy was wiped out by the split, and we now must deal with a new military alliance on our northern border. Whether we look to continue with AORDO or expand and build off of it with a ‘Stelburg Pact’, what is important is that we show the world our intention is peace and prosperity. An alliance built to wage war will inevitably collapse, an alliance built to ensure peace can last for generations.

As we continue talks, I must indicate our preference for a new agreement - many of our nations have strong military forces that are quite capable of working together multilaterally, and by signing an overall mutual friendship and defence treaty we can quickly move forward and work together.

We understand also, of course, that many in the region would prefer to continue with our current defence system, AORDO. Many leadership positions are now vacant, however, and it is important that they are replaced with good, experienced leaders. If they so wish, we support the continuation of the Falcanian leadership of our ground forces. We do have two candidates to nominate for other positions, who will also be available to answer any questions and liaise with any leaders who would like to meet with them.

For the position of AORDO General, we nominate Field Marshal Reinhard Drachmann. Field Marshal Drachmann is the current Chief of Staff of the Siovanija & Teusland Defence Forces, and has proven to be one of its finest officers. During the Banija-Farfadillis nuclear crisis, he took charge in helping lead the international investigation into the crisis, and showed an adept skill at working multilaterally as a military leader. The AORDO also faces a crisis, as spending and activity are likely to ramp up, and we deal with the new issues of security in the modern times. Field Marshal Drachmann is an experienced leader who has dealt with the logistics of the Defence Forces - a force spread across 3 regions responsible for the defence of 2 countries, including our own and Sankt Konrad, as well as maintaining a presence in Prinz-Eugens-Land. We believe that, as AORDO General, the Field Marshal would work exemplary to further develop relations between all militaries willing to participate in our region and create a stronger, more secure Atlantian Oceania.

For the position of chief of the Naval Forces, we nominate Grand Admiral Alfred Reinmann. Reinmann is current Chief of Staff of the Siovanija & Teusland Marine, which operates in 3 regions and is one of the most well-funded forces in Atlantian Oceania. The Marine has always been the backbone of our nation’s success, as an island state, and our proud tradition continues today. Grand Admiral Reinmann has overseen the strengthening of relations with various other navies, including that of the Kingdom of Banija, and also proved himself a leader during the aforementioned nuclear crisis. We believe that as AORDO Naval Forces leader, the Grand Admiral would continue to build up these good relationships and strengthen our defence capabilities at sea.”

Meier took another drink, his throat starting to get a bit dry. “I look forward to our continued discussions as we move forward together as a region. It has been excellent to hear from so many of you, and to hear so many opinions, and I eagerly await hearing more.”

WIth that, Meier sat down and the discussion continued in the conference room at Castle Danneberg. You got the feeling the delegates would be here for a while.
The United Republics of Siovanija & Teusland
Capital: Borograd | Population: 74,245,000 | Demonyms: Siovanijan, Teus | Country Code: STL

World Cup of Hockey 40, 41 & 42 Champions ⋆ World Junior Hockey Championship 14 Champions

Sarzonia
Powerbroker

Postby Sarzonia » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:45 pm

Aboard the ISS Adamant, the pathfinder of its class of cruise- and ballistic missile-carrying battleship, steaming in international waters near the Anaian subregion, its captain Corey Winfield pored over the recent reports about the continued secession of various countries from Atlantian Oceania. He had the news reports handed him by his yeoman Keri Lundquist and grimaced.

Woodstock wasn't wasting much time ordering the people of Anaian nations to depart from Sarzonia. Even though the mass exodus had now slowed down, Kotzellach's citizens were now being readied to board aircraft coming from that country to depart Sarzonia. Meanwhile, the overwhelming majority of Sarzonian citizens in Kotzellach were also preparing to board Sarzonian aircraft for their return home.

Winfield heard a knock on his ready room door.

"Come."

In walked Lt. Commander Erin Hamilton, the executive officer of the ship. She walked in with orders from the Sarzonian admiralty.

"Captain, we've been ordered to set course for international waters near Kotzellach," she said.

"Kotzellach," Winfield said. "You think that's going to be a trouble spot?"

"I don't believe it is," she said. "Thus far, they've given no indications that they'll cause anything, other than smog levels from all their aircraft coming to Woodstock and Portland to pick up their people."

Winfield nodded. Of course, he agreed with his XO's assessment. There wasn't much of a threat from Kotzellach. He, in fact made that argument when the idea of sending a squadron there was first broached. He remembered convincing Vice Admiral Colin Fischer not to send a full squadron or involve a fifth task force. Task forces Whisky, Alpha, Tango and Foxtrot could do the job of showing the Sarzonian flag and ensuring her interests were protected. However, one thing Vice Admiral Fischer said that bothered Winfield was his assertion that they didn't need a full task force or even a squadron. They only needed one ship. Granted, the one ship had six modern 16-inch naval guns with laser sighting and drone targeting support to go along with a collection of cruise and ballistic missiles that could wipe out a country if called upon. But Winfield made his point that even one ship could still serve as a provocation.

He thought about what he was being ordered to do. To put his ship and its crew of 1,200 potentially in harm's way if Kotzellach saw a battlecruiser in international waters nearby as a direct military provocation. He looked at Hamilton and grimaced. She knew what her captain was thinking. He knew she understood it. What the hell are we getting ourselves into?

"We have our orders now," Winfield said. He stood up from his desk and walked slowly out to the bridge.

"Helm," he said, addressing Lieutenant Brad Tomlinson. "Adjust your heading to 216 degrees, to these coordinates." He handed the coordinates to Tomlinson, who gave his captain a look.

"You know the coordinates, lieutenant," he said. "Best speed."

"Aye sir," he said, suppressing a desire to give a look to his captain. No one wanted this assignment, but that didn't prevent the ship from fulfilling its orders.

Minister

Postby Commonwealth of Baker Park » Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:40 pm

As discussion at Stelburg turned to issue of the restructuring of the AORDO, Rebecca Schoenlein was a bit hesitant about how present a role for the Commonwealth's military forces within a wider regional force.

The Ministry of State for Defense had remained committed to the doctrine first conceived some 75 years earlier--a compact force with cross-service integration, with the most technologically advanced systems and equipment developed independently from other nations.
For a country of nearly 52 million, Baker Park has a total active military strength at this current time of around 125,000 with another 50,000 ready reserve personnel that could be called up in an emergency. There have been periods previous to the 75 year period mentioned where the Commonwealth had some 800,000 men & women on active duty (the percentage of the population in that time being far larger).

The Commonwealth National Army, the Baker Park Air Force, and the Naval Service of the Commonwealth, along with the separate National Guard under the control of the Minister of State for Internal Affairs, have pioneered research into Multiple Launch Rocket System (MRLS) technology for offensive land and sea applications, in addition to microwave/electrostatic anti-missile defense.

Certainly the full cooperation and support of the Commonwealth to the regional defense was a given, but she was reluctant to offer the nation to a leadership role.

"We appreciate the words from his Majesty the Kabaka, who knows better than anyone that Baker Park is a stalwart friend in good times and bad, and President Kasekende certainly knows from both before & after his nation's independence that we are true to our word.
While we don't have an Armed Forces presence as many of the other nations here, we take great pride in our strength, which we have developed from within--quietly, deliberately.

My current Chief of Naval Operations, Admiral William 'Sandy' Sanderson, our most senior military chief at the moment, would be an excellent number two to the overall force commander or the chief Naval Commander of the AODRO. We are more than prepared to join together with the rest of this region to provide a common defense. Thank You."
Eagles Cup 13 Runner-Up
Basketball
AOBC 5 Champions
Football
Lacrosse
WLC President
WLC 38 Third Place
WLC 34/41 Fourth Place
WLC 29 Playoff Round

AO Twenty20 Runner-up

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents