NATION

PASSWORD

Australian Political & Infrastructure Discussion Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue May 11, 2021 3:35 am

Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts wrote:I feel that Australia will be screwed if they go to war with China.

Alinta Energy, which has assets in Australia? Chinese-owned.

EnergyAustralia - not Australian, except for the title. Energy Australia is owned by CLP, a Hong Kong-based company.

Massive water station in far-off Queensland dredged from the Murray-Darling? 2% of Straya's water? China, but the US as well. And according to Michael West Media, they don't have to pay capital gains tax for speculating on our water.

Yancoal, major coal company in Australia, operates a bunch of mines (like Glencore does) in the Hunter Valley.

Port of Darwin and Port of Newcastle? Also owned by China. Thanks no thanks..
Largest beef and dairy companies? Gina Rinehart and the Government
sold it off to China.

Bellamy's - largest baby formula producer - also sold to China.
Even some of the ADF's most fragile secrets; $53m was paid to a Chinese company to look after fragile defence secrets.

And given how Australia's embarrassing itself on climate action too,
especially how it's refusing to help the Pacific Islands, which are sinking due to climate change,
I suspect that should a war break out, Australia will be left all on its own.

I don't think that China would ever start a war with Australia. It would take them years and years to conquer us, even if we had no allies. However, I don't think we would be left alone. The CCP are the malignant scum of the Pacific, and the world is finally waking up to it. Thank God we don't have the ALP in charge, the CCP's little lap dog
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 30, 2020
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts » Tue May 11, 2021 6:59 am

Also, Queensland state schools, along with Victoria, have axed
school banking programs like the Dollarmites Club.

Since I knew nothing about the Dollarmite thing,
and only knowing about it for a few weeks now, and this is purely how I see it,
CommBank's [nickname redacted] Dollarmite program
is just another tool to market products to kids
rather than teaching them financial literacy.

Although loopholed in every way possible, I'm at least glad something was done
in the wake of the Banking Royal Commission.

Will be using Bendigo Bank, Heritage or CUA from now on.
bruz

Not affiliated with Dunder-Mifflin Paper Company
or any associated firms

Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts
Diplomat

Postby Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts » Tue May 11, 2021 7:07 am

Australian rePublic wrote:I don't think that China would ever start a war with Australia. It would take them years and years to conquer us, even if we had no allies. However, I don't think we would be left alone.

I didn't say anything about the ALP. What about the Greens? Indies? Xenophon? Clive? (wait, he owns a mine called China First, nvm)
The point of my rant is that China owns too much of our assets,
and you can't exactly blame Labor for it. They might be partially responsible,
but not fully responsible.

Also, I don't think Dutton's or the media's provocative statements (it's no secret that I think he's the scourge of the LNP, up there with Laming and Angus Taylor.) like 'the drums of war are beating' are helping either.
Last edited by Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts on Tue May 11, 2021 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
bruz

or any associated firms

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed May 12, 2021 1:23 am

Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:I don't think that China would ever start a war with Australia. It would take them years and years to conquer us, even if we had no allies. However, I don't think we would be left alone.

I didn't say anything about the ALP. What about the Greens? Indies? Xenophon? Clive? (wait, he owns a mine called China First, nvm)
The point of my rant is that China owns too much of our assets,
and you can't exactly blame Labor for it. They might be partially responsible,
but not fully responsible.

Also, I don't think Dutton's or the media's provocative statements (it's no secret that I think he's the scourge of the LNP, up there with Laming and Angus Taylor.) like 'the drums of war are beating' are helping either.

All major parties are guilty of selling us over to the Chinese, all of them. No exceptions. However, Labor is one of the worst. At least Morisson is trying to do something about it. Dan Andrews has signed many foreign deals with the evil dictatorships, all of which were torn up by Morisson.

The thing is, Morisson and Dutton aren't really provocking anything. China is a rogue nation ruled by a rogue despot. All of this started because Morisson asked about the origin of Covid, and the CCP spat the dummy and chucked a mental about it. If you ask me, Australia's been overly professional. I don't know why any logical person would think that Australia is the provocker. Unless you also think that all the countries in the South China Sea are provockers, as well as India, Japan and France (who has colonies in the South Pacific). Either Australia and all these countries are all provoking China independently of one another, meaning that about a dozen or so countries have all randomly decided to target the country with the world's largest population- either that or China is the provocker. I was really worried that if Australia keep going the way she was going, we would end up as another Tibet or Hong Kong, and I'm glad that someone is finally standing up to them
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed May 12, 2021 1:30 am

Me, personally, I am voting for the anti-nanny state party, the Liberal Democrats, and one the parties I'm giving my preferences to, one would be the LNP

Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts
Diplomat

Postby Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts » Wed May 12, 2021 5:22 am

Australian rePublic wrote:
All major parties are guilty of selling us over to the Chinese, all of them. No exceptions. However, Labor is one of the worst. At least Morisson is trying to do something about it. Dan Andrews has signed many foreign deals with the evil dictatorships, all of which were torn up by Morisson.

The thing is, Morisson and Dutton aren't really provocking anything. China is a rogue nation ruled by a rogue despot. All of this started because Morisson asked about the origin of Covid, and the CCP spat the dummy and chucked a mental about it. If you ask me, Australia's been overly professional. I don't know why any logical person would think that Australia is the provocker. Unless you also think that all the countries in the South China Sea are provockers, as well as India, Japan and France (who has colonies in the South Pacific). Either Australia and all these countries are all provoking China independently of one another, meaning that about a dozen or so countries have all randomly decided to target the country with the world's largest population- either that or China is the provocker. I was really worried that if Australia keep going the way she was going, we would end up as another Tibet or Hong Kong, and I'm glad that someone is finally standing up to them

I'm not saying everyone in the South China Sea are provokers.

To avoid saying anything too controversial, I'm zipping my lips on this one.
But, not saying China's innocent, COVID outbreak originated in Wuhan, but many countries
had horrible responses to COVID.

UK, Poland, Hungary, the EU, and especially the USA, are just some of these.
Especially how it was used to funnel wealth to the rich
while trump left ppl to fight over medical equipment.

About Morrison and Dutton, it's Dutton and the media I'm worried about.
Dutton has a tendency to make provocative statements, and, maybe it's just my dumb worldviw, I think what's happening here is
Australia is trying to provoke a war with China (which it will inevitably pay the price for if Jinping's pushed too far)
so their donors in the arms industry can profit.

I'm getting deja vu now.
bruz

or any associated firms

Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts
Diplomat

Postby Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts » Wed May 12, 2021 5:28 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Me, personally, I am voting for the anti-nanny state party, the Liberal Democrats, and one the parties I'm giving my preferences to, one would be the LNP

Liberal Democrats?
If I absolutely hated Labor, I'd vote for the Greens, as long as they don't make preferences, or my local legit Indie (not an LNP posing as Independents like the ones Shoalhaven City Council is stacked with) and put LNP last. See, I dont have a lot of choices of who to vote for in my electorate.

I just want ppl in power that do something on climate change, so Millennials and Gen Z isn't left with a giant planetary oven where they cant afford a house or education for their kids.
bruz

or any associated firms

Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts
Diplomat

Postby Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts » Wed May 12, 2021 5:34 am

Political Geography wrote:

Gee, I thought the point of your rant was "Australia will be screwed if they go to war with China"

It's the first sentence. You can't very well claim your point was something different.

Sorry, that was legitimately inconsistent and hypocritical of me. When I rant,
I sometimes forget to remain consistent in my arguments.
bruz

or any associated firms

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Wed May 12, 2021 7:07 am

Australian rePublic wrote:As much as I like to complain about Australia being a nanny state, I'll give credit where credit is due, in that, there is one aspect of the law where by Australia is an anti-nanny state. THat is when it comes to undertaking. Undertaking is using the curbside vehicle to overtake when driving. (i.e. overtaking using the left lane in countries which drive on the left, or overtaking using the right lane in countries which drive on the right). Undertaking is illegal, or at least discouraged in much of the world, (due to it being deemed too dangerous) but unconditionally legal on multi-lane in Australia and New Zealand. I didn't think I'd ever see Australia be an anti-nanny state in any regard, but credit where credit is due

Australia is a nation of undertakers :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunglish# ... g_of_words (first bullet point)
The Blaatschapen should resign

Perikuresu
Minister

Founded: Jan 02, 2021

Postby Perikuresu » Wed May 12, 2021 7:15 am

I doubt Winnie the Pooh would actually start a war with Australia, militarily that is, economically, they're f*cking us more than an Arab at Cronulla
Which is why I say we should diversify our trade partners, like Japan did, and as a bonus build closer links with our neighbors

I can say that I think Dutton should not be PM, I think i'll prefer ScoMo over him, and I don't like ScoMo (politically of course, I'm sure he's a pretty nice guy)
(Tho If Pauline Hanson becomes PM i'm getting the f*ck out)
Last edited by Perikuresu on Wed May 12, 2021 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
A Pacific nation or a MT liberalwank nation whose main premise is composed on a melting pot of cultures and ethnicities
NS Stats non canon, NS Policies canon tho
Aerilia is lying! They're not a unicorn, they're a Welsh Dragon!

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed May 12, 2021 7:19 am

Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Me, personally, I am voting for the anti-nanny state party, the Liberal Democrats, and one the parties I'm giving my preferences to, one would be the LNP

Liberal Democrats?
If I absolutely hated Labor, I'd vote for the Greens, as long as they don't make preferences, or my local legit Indie (not an LNP posing as Independents like the ones Shoalhaven City Council is stacked with) and put LNP last. See, I dont have a lot of choices of who to vote for in my electorate.

I just want ppl in power that do something on climate change, so Millennials and Gen Z isn't left with a giant planetary oven where they cant afford a house or education for their kids.

Didn't you hear my reasons for voting Lib Democrats? They're the anti-nanny state party. The Greens go against almost all my political beliefs. Let's assume you theory is correct. I'm not accusing Dutton of anything, but I'm working on your assumption. The thing is about supporting the arms manufacturing industry is that if that was your goal, you'd support far away wars which country could be involved in. You wouldn't support local wars, as that would be dangerous. Why would you want to buy dynamite to blow up a local bridge, when you can buy dynamite to blow up a bridge half way round the world? Why would the LNP willing enter a war with such high stakes? If Australia and China entered a war, both countries would be badly devastated by it before any of them gained any ground. How would that benefit Dutton? Even if he had kickbacks from arms manufacturers, he still stands to lose if the country is completely devastated. Besides, there are plenty of ways to be corrupt, besides arms manufacturing, and many of them would dry up if we were devastated in a war. It would be much more beneficial for him to bomb Afghanistan, for example, that to start a war in Australia, and much, much easier for him to justify, as well. All of this assumes that your theory is correct, which I will not comment on either way

Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts
Diplomat

Postby Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts » Thu May 13, 2021 2:13 am

Budget's out.

I look forward to see how much will
go towards infrastructure instead of the pockets of corpos.
bruz

or any associated firms

New Jacobland
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 01, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby New Jacobland » Thu May 13, 2021 3:46 am

Perikuresu wrote:(Tho If Pauline Hanson becomes PM i'm getting the f*ck out)

If Pauline becomes PM I can safely say democracy has failed.
Link here

My nation does not reflect my IRL views

If I am in a non-The Western Isles RP, ignore all factbooks not marked [FORUM].

Dislikes: Guns, warfare, CCP, Modi, North Korea, cigarettes

Mathuvan Union
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Mathuvan Union » Thu May 13, 2021 4:28 am

Whoever said ScoMo is a nice lad is not exactly the smartest of the bunch.
The man can’t go through a bush fire without dipping out to Hawaii.

Wasn’t the Palmer Party a bunch of fascists anyway? Don’t think I’m lenient to her.
Australian rePublic wrote:
Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts wrote:I feel that Australia will be screwed if they go to war with China.

Alinta Energy, which has assets in Australia? Chinese-owned.

EnergyAustralia - not Australian, except for the title. Energy Australia is owned by CLP, a Hong Kong-based company.

Massive water station in far-off Queensland dredged from the Murray-Darling? 2% of Straya's water? China, but the US as well. And according to Michael West Media, they don't have to pay capital gains tax for speculating on our water.

Yancoal, major coal company in Australia, operates a bunch of mines (like Glencore does) in the Hunter Valley.

Port of Darwin and Port of Newcastle? Also owned by China. Thanks no thanks..
Largest beef and dairy companies? Gina Rinehart and the Government
sold it off to China.

Bellamy's - largest baby formula producer - also sold to China.
Even some of the ADF's most fragile secrets; $53m was paid to a Chinese company to look after fragile defence secrets.

And given how Australia's embarrassing itself on climate action too,
especially how it's refusing to help the Pacific Islands, which are sinking due to climate change,
I suspect that should a war break out, Australia will be left all on its own.

I don't think that China would ever start a war with Australia. It would take them years and years to conquer us, even if we had no allies. However, I don't think we would be left alone. The CCP are the malignant scum of the Pacific, and the world is finally waking up to it. Thank God we don't have the ALP in charge, the CCP's little lap dog

If Britain cares a dollar, they’d put a warship in the Indo-Pacific.
They have, so shit’s going down. Britain never does shit in Asia except give everyone opium.
New Jacobland wrote:
Arisyan wrote:
Western Australia has always been a confusing paradox of voting overwhelmingly Labor statewide, but voting overwhelmingly Liberal federally. Same thing in Queensland, and to a lesser extent and on the flip side in South Australia. So you cant really use state voting trends to predict national results.

As a Western Australian, I think the Federal Labor party has a really bad reputation in the state. People like Albanese really don't help Labor's hopes in WA either.

Interesting to say Labor over Labour...
To be honest if that flips they may as well secede.
Behind the free market lies the iron fist of the state - the one thing I learned from The Blaatschapen, excluding how to say sheep in dutch.
Update: apparently it’s bleating sheep.

Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts
Diplomat

Postby Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts » Thu May 13, 2021 5:51 am

Australian rePublic wrote: Besides, there are plenty of ways to be corrupt, besides arms manufacturing, and many of them would dry up if we were devastated in a war.

Ask MacFarlane's Windows and Revolving Doors.
tbf, Labor, the public service and One Nation are guilty of this too.
https://www.michaelwest.com.au/revolving-doors/

Either way, there's no such thing as a government that isn't corrupt in some way, shape or form.
Last edited by Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts on Thu May 13, 2021 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
bruz

or any associated firms

Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts
Diplomat

Political Theory

Postby Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts » Fri May 14, 2021 4:13 am

Opinion:

if there's a leadership spill before the next federal election, or Scott resigns, gets kicked out or leaves,
Josh Frydenberg will take his place.
bruz

or any associated firms

Perikuresu
Minister

Founded: Jan 02, 2021

Postby Perikuresu » Fri May 14, 2021 6:07 am

Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts wrote:Opinion:

if there's a leadership spill before the next federal election, or Scott resigns, gets kicked out or leaves,

If it's not Peter Dutton it should be fine (I still prefer Labour)
A Pacific nation or a MT liberalwank nation whose main premise is composed on a melting pot of cultures and ethnicities
NS Stats non canon, NS Policies canon tho
Aerilia is lying! They're not a unicorn, they're a Welsh Dragon!

Kenobot
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 09, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Kenobot » Sun May 16, 2021 5:00 am

Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts wrote:Opinion:

There won't be a spill and he won't resign. After this budget, I'm 80+% sure that ScoMo will get back in
Much as I'd enjoy Frydenberg as leader, ScoMo needs to run his course to the election. Whatever happens after that, who knows.
Australian

Social Liberal Hawk
Pro: Democracy, Keynes, Don Chipp, Menzies, Malcolm Turnbull, interventionism, renewables and nuclear power
Anti: Fascism, Communism, populism, authoritarianism, reactionaries, coal

Ransium
Retired Moderator

Founded: Oct 17, 2006
Democratic Socialists

Postby Ransium » Mon May 17, 2021 4:38 pm

Perikuresu wrote:I doubt Winnie the Pooh would actually start a war with Australia, militarily that is, economically, they're f*cking us more than an Arab at Cronulla
Which is why I say we should diversify our trade partners, like Japan did, and as a bonus build closer links with our neighbors

I can say that I think Dutton should not be PM, I think i'll prefer ScoMo over him, and I don't like ScoMo (politically of course, I'm sure he's a pretty nice guy)
(Tho If Pauline Hanson becomes PM i'm getting the f*ck out)

On NationStates we consider giving cutsie nicknames like "Winnie the Pooh" to political figures a form of trolling. Please don't do it again.
Last edited by Ransium on Mon May 17, 2021 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Commended by SC 236,
WA Delegate of Forest from March 20th, 2007 to August 19, 2020.
Author of WA Resolutions: SC 221, SC 224, SC 233, SC 243, SC 265, GA 403, GA 439, GA 445,GA 463,GA 465,
Issues Editor since January 20th, 2017 with some down time.
Author of 27 issues. First editor of 44.
Moderator since November 10th 2017 with some down time.

Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts
Diplomat

Postby Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts » Tue May 18, 2021 2:08 am

Okay, let's just move on from having the thread trawled, OK?
Maybe just don't use nicknames next time.
bruz

or any associated firms

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue May 18, 2021 2:54 am

Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts wrote:Okay, let's just move on from having the thread trawled, OK?
Maybe just don't use nicknames next time.

The no nicknames rule has been a thing on NationStates since forever
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Tue May 18, 2021 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts
Diplomat

Postby Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts » Sat May 22, 2021 3:34 am

New Jacobland wrote:
Perikuresu wrote:(Tho If Pauline Hanson becomes PM i'm getting the f*ck out)

If Pauline becomes PM I can safely say democracy has failed.

Controversial point,
but as the Simpsons once taught me, democracy doesn't work when
politicians can be bought with money.
Last edited by Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts on Sat May 22, 2021 6:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
bruz

or any associated firms

Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts
Diplomat

Jodi Resigns: FJ's Response

Postby Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts » Fri May 28, 2021 2:23 am

Jodi McKay has resigned as leader of NSW Labor.
https://twitter.com/friendlyjordies/status/1398174339388764166
Jordan's p*ssed at NSW Labor now.
Also, no coincidence here, Guardian, ABC, SMH and Telegraph all drop an article on the same day
saying he's being sued by John Barilaro for defamation.

Guardian might criticise the government, but really they're just bootlicking to get the drops.

- A-CC.
P.S.
Opinion:
losing a by-election =/= you must resign as leader.
Maybe federally, sure, but not because of a by-election.
Last edited by Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts on Sat May 29, 2021 12:39 am, edited 4 times in total.
bruz

or any associated firms

Dazchan
Senator

Founded: Mar 24, 2006
Father Knows Best State

Postby Dazchan » Sat May 29, 2021 12:28 am

Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts wrote:Jodi McKay has resigned as leader of NSW Labor.
Also, no coincidence here, Guardian, ABC, SMH and Telegraph all drop an article on the same day

Guardian might criticise the government, but really they're just bootlicking to get the drops.

Also,
Any chance we can rename Friendlyjordies to FriendlyJodis?

- A-CC.
P.S.
Opinion:

Seems odd that she's being forced out because she lost a by-election in a safe Nationals seat.

If the by-election had been for the electorate of Wollongong and it had gone to the Libs, I'd understand it.
If you can read this, thank your teachers.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat May 29, 2021 1:02 am

Dazchan wrote:
Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts wrote:Jodi McKay has resigned as leader of NSW Labor.

Also,
Any chance we can rename Friendlyjordies to FriendlyJodis?

- A-CC.
P.S.
Opinion:

Seems odd that she's being forced out because she lost a by-election in a safe Nationals seat.

If the by-election had been for the electorate of Wollongong and it had gone to the Libs, I'd understand it.

It's more that she's extremely unpopular than anything else. Politicians are play politics, after all

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General