NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] The Calling Card

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Debussy
Envoy

Founded: Jun 19, 2019
Psychotic Dictatorship

[SUBMITTED] The Calling Card

Postby Debussy » Thu May 13, 2021 9:16 pm

Note: It would be cool if option 1 junked a random card in your deck.
[title] The Calling Card

[validity] Has a deck or international artwork stat

[description] The nation woke up this morning to find that a treasured piece of international artwork was stolen from the national @@DEMONYM@@ museum. Hanging in its place – the letter L – a calling card of master thief, Vincenzo Lupin. Printed on the back of the card, a request for one billion @@CURRENCY@@ for the artwork's safe return. You’ve called a meeting on how to respond.

[option] “We must do everything we can to bring this thief to justice!” proclaims famed international inspector, @@RANDOMNAME@@, revealing countless handcuffs hidden inside their coat. “I’ve been hot on their trail for months, and even though I haven't exactly caught this so called 'mastermind' yet, I'm sure with your help, we can corner the rat, or my name isn't famed inspector @@RANDOMNAME1@@!”

[effect] the nation has joined an international game of cat and mouse.

[option] “Why don’t we just pay the man and move on?” moans your sleepy Minister of International Artwork, @@RANDOMNAME@@, apparently bored with the whole thing. “Heists happen all the time, and because we weren’t on our guard, we were outmatched. Time to pay up and move on.”

[effect] a heist a day makes the nation pay.

[option] “I have a much better idea,” smirks your Minister of Creative Solutions, @@RANDOMNAME@@, who is finger painting on your desk. “Why don’t we secretly forge the artwork and hang it up like nothing ever happened? In fact, why stop there? We could make some real @@CURRENCY@@, and adorn our hallways with wonderful masterpieces," they remark, jumping to their feet in excitement and mistakenly throwing paint around the room. "It’s brilliant, right?”

[effect] the nation's reputation in the art market has been painted poorly.
Last edited by Debussy on Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:56 pm, edited 25 times in total.

Giovanniland
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 10, 2019
Corporate Bordello

Postby Giovanniland » Fri May 14, 2021 3:29 am

Interesting premise, I wonder what people think about the interaction between issues and cards and whether it's feasible for an issue to alter your deck beyond giving you a pack of cards like usual.

But that's besides the point I wanted to make, about one of the macros. In option 1 there are two @@RANDOMNAME@@s which I believe you want to make the same, so they should be @@RANDOMNAME1@@ for the game to recognize as the same random name.
The Kingdom of Giovanniland

51st Delegate of the West Pacific
Former TWP Speaker of the Hall (x3), Guardian and Minister of Foreign Affairs

WA Author (SC#364, SC#372, SC#373, SC#377)
Card Collector (once the highest deck value ever at 26 million, maintains the Collection Collection Thread)

Candensia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Candensia » Fri May 14, 2021 10:56 am

Do keep in mind that #1074 may present some overlap, try and steer clear if you can.
The Free Joy State wrote:Time spent working on writing skills -- even if the draft doesn't work -- is never wasted.

Debussy
Envoy

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Debussy » Sat May 15, 2021 9:13 pm

Candensia wrote:Do keep in mind that #1074 may present some overlap, try and steer clear if you can.

Do you need to be a monarchy/authoritarian to get that issue?

Candensia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2017

Postby Candensia » Sat May 15, 2021 9:51 pm

Debussy wrote:
Candensia wrote:Do keep in mind that #1074 may present some overlap, try and steer clear if you can.

Do you need to be a monarchy/authoritarian to get that issue?

At the time of drafting, I intended it to be applicable for nations with Monarchy or Feudalism only. However, I do not know if the validity was changed during editing.
Last edited by Candensia on Sat May 15, 2021 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Free Joy State wrote:Time spent working on writing skills -- even if the draft doesn't work -- is never wasted.

Daarwyrth
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Mon May 17, 2021 12:59 pm

I must admit I really would love to see issues that involve the International Artwork stat, so the premise is currently very interesting and well-thought out. I do agree with the comment to watch out for overlap, as it sounds a little familiar to #1074. Yet in my opinion, the premise is unique enough because of its ties to card decks, and such.

The issues effect lines are very clever and witty, well done! The simplicity of three options is also a very welcome sight.

Nice issue draft!
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Mon May 17, 2021 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Royal State of Daarwyrth
Forest's Minister of Foreign Affairs

Leader: Queen Demi Maria I | Capital: Daarsted | Current year: 2022 CE
  • Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male
  • Dutch with Polish roots
  • English literature major
  • Ex-religious gay leftist

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016

Postby Fauxia » Thu May 20, 2021 8:19 pm

It's a pretty good draft, and I hate to be the debbie downer on everything, but I'm not sure using international artwork for issues works.

The problem is that it will create continuity errors with other stats. It really doesn't make sense for a nation to be top 2% for international artwork but top 87% for culture, but I am sure there are nations where that is the case. I think you would have to make this an Easter Egg, where no one really cares about it making sense, for this to work. Probably just for nations in the top 100 or 250 or something in cards, since there's no way to tell when a heist occurs.
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sun May 23, 2021 10:37 am

Fauxia wrote:It really doesn't make sense for a nation to be top 2% for international artwork but top 87% for culture

Have you seen some of the artwork in national collections?

But seriously, you don't have to have a cultured nation to have national artwork - although, I do believe it'd be odd for a cultured nation to not have artwork. Simply put, I think the validity criteria as-is is fine. :P

That said, it might be a better criteria to ensure that it's only valid for nations who have a legendary card in their deck. ;)
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Debussy
Envoy

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Debussy » Tue May 25, 2021 9:41 pm

Jutsa wrote:
Fauxia wrote:It really doesn't make sense for a nation to be top 2% for international artwork but top 87% for culture

Have you seen some of the artwork in national collections?

But seriously, you don't have to have a cultured nation to have national artwork - although, I do believe it'd be odd for a cultured nation to not have artwork. Simply put, I think the validity criteria as-is is fine. :P

That said, it might be a better criteria to ensure that it's only valid for nations who have a legendary card in their deck. ;)

I'm not positive that having a deck is a validity that is possible for the editors. I only included the cultural validity because of it.

Authoritaria-Imperia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 06, 2019
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Authoritaria-Imperia » Wed May 26, 2021 11:59 am

Debussy wrote:
Jutsa wrote:I'm not positive that having a deck is a validity that is possible for the editors. I only included the cultural validity because of it.
It might be possible to have a simple numerical validity of "International Artwork stat ≥ 0.01", right? It sounds like an extremely close approximation for "Has a card deck". Could be worth a shot, anyway, although I'm not an Editor.
Last edited by Authoritaria-Imperia on Wed May 26, 2021 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks to all the first responders working to fight off this pandemic! Folks, you can make a donation here.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat May 29, 2021 4:22 am

You should state that the measum is state owned, otherwise, it's not leader's decision
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Debussy
Envoy

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Debussy » Sat May 29, 2021 1:04 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:You should state that the measum is state owned, otherwise, it's not leader's decision

Does "the national @@DEMONYM@@ museum" not already imply that?

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?