NATION

PASSWORD

World Cup 88- Roleplay Thread

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Pemecutan
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 08, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Pemecutan » Sat May 08, 2021 12:13 am

Saturday, 8 May 2021 (Saniscara Wage Wuku Medangsia, Pawukon 1781)

Exclusive Interview with Coach Pramana

Ayudia Putri - Reporter/Interviewer

Pemecutan Puri - The interview was recorded at Campuhan Arena during the National Team practice. This interview was address by using Bahasa (Indonesian) and Hanacaraka (Balinese) language. The transcript and interview result have been translated into English for a better understanding by international viewers and readers.

Ayudia Putri (Interviewer) - AP
Coach Pramana (Subject) - CP

AP: Om Swastiatu, Good Afternoon Mr. Coach
CP: Om Swastiastu, yes Good Afternoon.
AP: Thank you for the time before so can do this interview in this tight schedule.
CP: It's okay. I'm very happy to be interviewed especially with our upcoming competition.
AP: Yes, about that. World Cup is on the sight
CP: True but we need to do the qualification first. Hahaha....
AP: (with a smile) Yeah, that's true.
So, you already reveal your team squad. The line-up. And nothing seems to be change.
CP: Well, I see the progress of my players and in my opinion they are doing great. Although they missed the target.
AP: The target MAC, right?
CP: Yeah, we are targeting to win the competition knowing that it was held in our soil. But well the fortunate is not with us.
AP: That's pretty unfortunate. But at least we still able to reached final.
CP: Yes, that's true. That's why I'm still retain the squad and called them all back for the WC Qualification.
AP: But there's a slight change. A small change.
CP: Just a minor. We have manage to gained information about how our players doing abroad especially in Eraman. They are late to give us the report.
AP: So that's why there's a position swap?
CP: Yeah. Agus Setiahadi and Wisnu Pramana were given a starting line up during MAC as we don't get information about both Rama Karyadi and Pandu Oka Jaya although we still called them all. And fortunately, they were all playing very well. Even the changing between all of them still give a solid feature for the team.
AP: It's a good things to hear. But then you decide to swap them in WCQ.
CP: Well, the first line-up plan that I've made before MAC 7th is similar to my starting line up for this WCQ. The change was only made in MAC 7. Beside the fact that we don't get the progress information of our players in Eraman but also to give a fresh lining of our squad. And it turn out great. Another runner up for us. That's why I'm very confidence with this starting line-up. This line-up is the one I us in MAC 6 which gave us the first final.
AP: Don't you think this swap will affect the players moral?
CP: I hope not. Because all of them are an important part of the team. We are in team sport so everyone is matter. There's no star players, for me. They are all the star. I won't give one player a privilege than the others. The swap is just a minor change. I give a chance for Karyadi and Oka Jaya to show us their performance. Just like how they doing well in Eraman. They are even attracted bigger clubs there now.
AP: And another player is also going to Eraman.
CP: Yeah. It's Bayu Narmada. It's a good thing for him. He will gained experience abroad. How they play in foreign soil. This is also some kind of knowledge that I want them (read abroad playing player) to teach to our players here. And I think by giving them a starting linne-up is the best way to do it.
AP: But not Bayu Narmada?
CP: Hahaha. Yeah not him.
AP: Why? What's the reason?
CP: Technically speaking is Wijaya (read. Arya Tungga Wijaya) have a higher goal scored in the league than Narmada did. Although Wijaya is only playing in the second tier division but his skill is very good. He is two times golden shoe winner. That's an accomplish that we can't ignored. That's why I give Wijaya the starting position.
AP: And scoring a goal is important?
CP: It give us a larger opportunity to gain points although it is not the main way. Having a good defense also give us that. And a forward won't be able to scored if we don't have a solid defense and midfielder to support them. To give them a good assist which can be made into a goal. As I said earlier, we are in a team sport. Everyone is important. Even the goalkeeper.
AP: (she is nodding in understanding) So, we see the schedule of the competition and it is intertwined with our domestic league. HOw do you think the players will cope up with this?
CP: We have talks with the PFA officials and also the clubs where our players are. We have an intense meeting about it. WC Qualifying is a tough competition and tiring because it's long and the travel can become a downturn. So, the clubs have agree to give a lower matches play for the players that being called. Some of them even replaced them with their bench players or reserved players.
AP: Don't you think it give disadvantage for the clubs?
CP: As long as the clubs agree I can't give much argument. We are not giving them pressure for what to do. This is their idea too. The prestige of WC is the one that makes them doing this.
AP: I see. So you think there will be no clashed or disagreement afterwards?
CP: No, because all the clubs have agree for this.
AP: Great. And in WC Qualification Round, we are drawn into Group 18?
CP: 17
AP: Oh sorry. Yes, Group 17. What do you think our opportunity in this Group?
CP: To be honest it would be a hard road to be qualified. There are 10 nations in 1 group and only 2 of them might qualify. So, yeah it is hard. The favorite in our Group possibly Brenecia and Squornshelous as they are both the highest ranked nations in WC rank. Their biggest contenders might be Twicetagria, The Sarian or Sajnur.
AP: So we don't have any chance?
CP: It's hard for us. A possible middle placement is good for us. Maybe a little higher than our previous result.
AP: Our previous result was 5th in the Group.
CP: Yes. So having the same result or placing 1 or 2 position higher is already a good accomplishment for us. At least for now.
AP: It is really hard to pass the qualifying.
CP: It is. But the effort is worthwhile. It still give the experience to the players. The have the opportunity to play against stronger players. It is a good learning for them. To improve their skill.
AP: I guess that's a good way to gain experience.
CP: Certainly.
AP: Lastly, our first match is an away match and it is against Brenecia. What do you expect?
CP: A draw will be good for us. Hahaha. That if we are lucky enough. But at least if we are on the losing side, our defense and goalkeeper and minimize the lost that we might gain from the match.
AP: So you are hoping a draw? (she say with a teasing tone)
CP: Hahaha. yeah for sure. Let's hope it will happen.
AP: Hahaha. Of course. We all wants the best for our national team.
CP: That's true.
AP: So thank you again for your time Mr. Coach. Hope the best for our first match.
CP: You're welcome. Yeah, we all hope for the best.

Coach Surya Agung Pramana
United Kingdom of Pemecutan
Pemecutan Realm
Trigram: PCU | Demonym: Pemecutanian
Capital: Pemecutan Puri
Population: 23,027,733 (latest census)

Homepage | Wikipage

Eraman
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Eraman » Sat May 08, 2021 3:20 am

CHAPTER 2
TUN SENGALANG PETARA

Before I go further in this expose, let me tell you about my first meeting with Tun Sengalang Petara.

My first meeting with Tun Sengalang Petara was held at a Hanacaraka restaurant in a hotel facing the venue of his party's annual general assembly. In fact, the hotel is synonymous as a gathering place for his party members regardless if it is the general assembly season or not.

On that day, Tun Sengalang Petara's political party was holding its annual general assembly. His party's general assembly would cause all the hotels around Anara to be fully booked each time it is held.

Tun Sengalang Petara's party general assembly will also often cause unusual congestion in the capital as various buses from outside Anara to come to bring members of his political party to the party's headquarters.

The hotel lobbies will also be filled with various parties discussing various “important” matters. It can be said that the contractors for almost all government contracts in a given year have been determined during Eraman Nationalist Party’s general assembly.

This is why Tun Sengalang Petara was there. He was not a politician yet but he needs the politicians to award him government contracts.

At the Hanacaraka restaurant, we were asked to wait for him in one of the small rooms built around the restaurant’s open-air dining area. We got the first room facing the entrance of the restaurant.

When I had known Tun Sengalang Petara for a long time, I understood why he liked to choose the first room. It’s easy for him to go in and out without being seen.

Our appointment was set for 7:30 pm and Suri had been there earlier than me. Suri lived in downtown Anara and I lived with some friends from university a little outside of Anara.

When I entered the room, there was a man already with Suri. I thought it was Tun Sengalang Petara and I greeted him while saying hello. When I called him your highness, he smiled. He went on to explain to me that he was just the driver of Tun Sengalang Petara. He introduced himself as Budi.

As we waited for the arrival of Tun Sengalang Petara, we chatted about how Suri always came to Tun Sengalang Petara's office in the past. Now that she has her own business, Suri feels it is time to meet Tun Sengalang Petara again.

I know Suri feels guilty because only when she wants to ask for something from Tun Sengalang Petara does she come looking for him.

For almost an hour we waited for Tun Sengalang Petara while we chatted, we were served with various Hanacaraka food. I, who had never eaten Hanacaraka food, was ridiculed by Budi and Suri when they told me to put a lot of chili on my food.

"Ha, isn't it spicy?" said Suri.

I was only able to smile and at that moment Tun Sengalang Petara came in and saw me with red eyes while struggling to resist the spiciness. I tried to hold back the spiciness and Tun Sengalang Petara jokingly asked why my face was red like I was shy meeting him.

A pregnant waitress then came into the room. Tun Sengalang Petara smiled at her and continued to ask about herself and her family. She replied and continued to be greeted by Tun Sengalang Petara with a joke that the woman's husband was very lucky to have a wife as beautiful as she was.

The waitress smiled broadly when praised as such.

"Women! They love compliments” said Tun Sengalang Petara when the waitress left our room.

That was the first time I saw Tun Sengalang Petara use his character to win someone's heart. It’s a political weapon that I’ve seen him used many times either to win someone’s heart or get someone to do something for him.

I looked on Tun Sengalang Petara. He was not a handsome man, not very tall and his hair had a few strands of grey even though he was only 35 years old at the time.

He saw me looking at him and asked the question "What is the purpose of our meeting? Just for dinner?”

I looked at Suri and Suri replied "We want to share our firm business with you. Legally, it is not allowed because you are not a lawyer but we can have an outside agreement. We will share 30% of our profit from any housing developers that you can introduce to us.”

“Interesting. Why don’t you write everything down? We meet again in two weeks,” we have expected that reply from him.

Starting from this first meeting, I finally became closer to Tun Sengalang Petara.
Last edited by Eraman on Tue May 11, 2021 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trigramme: ERM | Demonym: Eramanian | Population: 14,753,910
Info: Wiki | Sports: Liga Eraman

Daulapura Daily
- based in Daulapura, the royal capital
- government-owned and ruling party propaganda
- support Royal Daulapura FC
Eraman Journal
- based in Anara, the capital city
- by the peasants, for the peasants (actually by the millionaires, for the masses)
- support Anara FC

Mercedini
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Mercedini » Sat May 08, 2021 1:23 pm

88th World Cup Qualification Group Preview
National Team: A Downward Trajectory
@ Zoloroni Sports City Stadium - Zoloroni, Mercedini

At the beginning of the World Cup Qualification schedule, it is very easy to be wrapped up in the magic of it all. Nations of all shapes and sizes, from the experienced juggernauts to the minnow up-starts, qualification can truly be the great equalizer. Big teams have fallen by the wayside early on, only to pave the way for the rank outsider to steal the crown. Now, it's all beginning to culminate for the 88th time in World Cup history, with Dini embarking on their 14th campaign since debuting in the 75th edition. Mercedini regroup in the Sports City Stadium once again, hoping for a better run this time than some of their previous attempts of getting to the World Cup Group Stage.

The group draw has been made with Dini remaining as a Pot 2 side, although their their trio of shallow runs in the Cup of Harmony knockouts has relegated them down to 39th position, just barely inside the second pot of the World Cup. The balls have been swirled, drawn and finalised. We finally have our list of destinations which will line the road towards qualification, or to disappointment and destitution. Welcome to our analysis of our World Cup Qualification group, where we will answer the age old question; will Mercedini finally return to the promised land, or are they destined for even more disappointment?

World Cup Qualification: Competitive Group, Perfect For Choking

The draw for the World Cup Qualification groups have been made and it's a draw which the Golden Eagles had hoped would give them a chance at the big time in Chromatika and Cassadaigua. The ten team format for each group meant it would be a bit touch and go as to whether Dini would maintain their Pot 2 standing. However, when the MFA found out they had been 39th in the world, they knew it was just enough to keep them in Pot 2, and with a solid chance of qualifying on paper. Dini were one of the later names out in the draw, so it was a long wait for Billic and his players before they knew who they were facing and where they were going. For Mercedini, the group draw generally means nothing to them, and it will be out on the pitch where everything is decided, regardless of who they were playing. What has seemed like easy draws in the past, has gone from bad to worse in a couple of match days thanks to some abysmal results. The glory days of Mercedinian football, where they were regular qualifiers or tournament winners, have long since passed. So it was time to hit the reset button on the team and the strategy, which started with a decent showing with new players at last edition's Cup of Harmony. Not too much is expected off the team this time, due to their lack of major experience together, but to qualify for the World Cup or go deep in the Cup of Harmony this edition would certainly be a major step up from previous recent performances

Group 10:
San Ortelio (101)
Mercedini (39)
Seguidores de la grasas (UR)
Talamia (221)
Istoreya (341)
Valladares (56)
Siovanija and Teusland (17)
Bluecliff League (116)
Jeruselem (64)
Fujai (172)

And so, without further ado, over to the group. As you can see, it's one to give any footballing fan some trouble, with so many previous qualifiers and rising stars thrown into the same group, it's very possible to see a couple of them towards the bottom of the table, which would seem out of place at the best of times. Dini knew that would face at least one major side from Pot 1, which turned out to be Siovanija & Teusland, a side which Mercedini has yet to play in any competitive tournament on the international circuit. These two sides will meet for the first time this cycle in Zoloroni, on the eighth and penultimate matchday. It's hoped that the Golden Eagles will have chalked up some sort of lead in the group, or any points at all, as this is clearly the most likely place where the team will drop points during the first half.

However, their first outing in the cycle will be in a rather familiar setting, with the side playing at home on the first match day for the first time in three cycles. There, the Sports City Stadium will welcome Jeruselem for their match day one game, with the tens of thousands of fans in attendance hoping to witness a win, and a good performance by the Mercedinian National Team. The first away outing will give Vietnam flashbacks for some Mercedinian sport fans, as San Ortelio return to the fray, hoping to go one step beyond and qualify for the World Cup, still as a rank outsider. Last time round for San Ortelio, they came is as an unranked side and stunned the masses to finish in second place in a group featuring Mercedini, only to stumble in the playoffs and go through the Cup of Harmony. This time, it's hoped to be a different story, with the Golden Eagle enacting revenge on their opponents to further their campaign and quest for a spot at the World Cup.

Looking round the rest of the group, and it could be the old ghosts which come back to haunt the blue and black. There aren't too many familiar faces for Dini to greet along the campaign, and its normally the case that if your are low-ranked, and we don't know you, you will likely win. Even then, for some of the faces that we do know, we haven't played against them, so even more cause for concern there. Alas, it will all come down to technique and the result on the night which will determine how the group goes, not just whether we are familiar with the playstyles or not. With Dini having a number of matchups early on which are more than winnable, there is a big opportunity for Billic and his men to set the pace for the group, and hopefully put the ball in Siovanija's court when it comes to picking up results.

Onn paper, it will be Pot 3 Valladares and the aforementioned Pot 4 Jeruselem which will be Dini's biggest rivals when it comes to holding their second placing in the group. Dini have eyes upwards to take doen S&T, but they will need to keep their eyes beneath them as well, as there is a long list of teams waiting in the wings for the Mercedinian slip-up. We have said it often enough, this group is doable. While Dini are one of the lowest ranked teams in Pot 2, they have been given a rather favourable draw when it comes to teams around them, and they can lock onto that second spot, providing they don't inexplicably drop points too often. Remember, only the group winners will be confirmed of a spot at the World Cup, whereas the second placed team could qualify, based on the results following that. Any lower than that, and it could be another ticket to the Cup of Harmony, where Dini would be going for their second title.

There you have it, a quick rundown of the group in our usual Mercedini Sports Daily reporting style. Not many people will have their eye on this group considering the lack of known pedigree in recent times, and the lack of any blockbuster matchups or stories in the immediate outset. It could be a blessing for the Mercedinains, as they aim to become the silent assassin in this World Cup campaign, although we will only know for sure how it's going when the whistle for kick-off is blown on MD1. Siovanija & Teusland will go into the group as the clear favourites, but Mercedini come in as the second seed in the group, they will simply want to either hold their pot or go one better to have a sniff at qualifying. Plenty of nations will be chomping at their heels, so any sort of slip up could be fatal, come the end of the qualification schedule. As stated before, first up will be a home match in Zoloroni against Jeruselem, before the long schedule kicks in with matches in quick succession, near and far. We hope you have everything crossed, from Zoloroni, Mercedini, goodnight!
.................................................................................................................................
Novapax Founder • Host Portfolio • Trophy Cabinet
World CupBest: Group Stage ('77, '81, '82, '83)
Cup of HarmonyBest: Champion ('72)
U21 World CupBest: 3rd Place ('43)
U18 World CupBest: Champion ('4)
Independents CupBest: Champion ('5)
WC of HockeyBest: 2nd Place ('37)
WJHCBest: Champion ('13)
WorldVision
Best Placing: 1st (Lipa '72)Most Points: 108 pts (Lipa '72)

World Hit Festival
Best Placing: 1st ('34 & '36)Most Pts: 34 pts (Mousiki '31)
Junior World Hit Festival
Best Placing: 3rd ('3, '4 & '5)Most Pts: 26 pts (Tushlark '5)
Mercedini in WVSC & WHFs

Oberour Ar Moro
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 11, 2009
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Oberour Ar Moro » Sat May 08, 2021 2:10 pm

The offices of Vainqueur magazine still had free drinks in their breakroom. That’s one of those luxuries that isn’t a luxury until you work in a place that doesn’t have one. René l’Evesque had written for magazines that didn’t, so he was going to appreciate it while he had it. It had some downsides though.

“Hey, René, could you help me with something?”

René had been reaching for the coffee machine, but dropped his hands and turned to Marie le Perrier, the magazine's editorial assistant. It’s not like he wasn’t on a deadline to finish an article, but if the editorial assistant wants something, you should probably find the time. Also, he’s clearly not working at this moment if he was getting a coffee, so what excuse could he come up with?

“Sure, Marie. What do you need?”

“I need someone to look over an essay.” Marie spoke as she looked down at her phone, tapping it with her fingers. “I just e-mailed it you. Perrik de Leur-Sainz sent us something. Unsolicited, of course.”

“Perrik de Leur-Sainz? Really?” René was honestly surprised. Perrik de Leur-Sainz was a novelist who was known as much for his reclusive behavior as his novels of ghosts and saints and fantastical surrealism. Further, René didn’t know Perrik de Leur-Sainz was a sports fan.

Marie shrugged. “I’m honestly as surprised as you are. But he did, in fact, write an essay. About the national team. Could you read it, and tell me if you think it’s worth sending this to the editor? If we want it in this week’s edition it’ll have to be approved by early tomorrow. Just tell if you think it’s worth the effort, and even if it's possible to get it edited and approved for publication by then.”

Successfully avoiding giving a heavy sigh as he thought about the article he was writing that would also need to be edited and approved, René gave his assent, and walked back to his desk, and pulled up the document Marie had sent him.

“This is quite a coup,” said Gauen de Fiennes on the occasion of announcing Milio Gabriel had been hired to manage the Oberour Ar Moro national football team.

“Coup” is not a word said often in Regium, and never said as a positive. Coups are what happen to allied nations. Calling something a coup, in the sense of a triumph, is said by the average layman on the street. But by an official of the Dominion? Never.

And Gauen de Fiennes is an official of the Dominion. He was appointed to the chairmanship of the Football Management Committee (FMC), shortly after the Dragoons failed to replace Thoumas d’Herbigny as national team manager, appointed Celestin de Houlande as a stopgap, and watched as the team traveled to Eura and went 0-0-3 in the Copa Rushmori.

The debacle led to a remise à neuf. The entire committee was overthrown, dead wood was replaced with seven bright and ambitious young men, with new ideas about how football should be run in the Dominion. One of which was finally that the FMC would take hiring managers seriously. No more being miserly, and fixating on committee-members favorites, but being willing to spend to hire the best possible candidate.

So that was what led to the hiring of Milio Gabriel, Chairman de Fiennes' so-called coup. “Not since Gilduin Roux has the national team been led by a manager with such experience”, said de Fiennes in that press conference.

So who is Milio Gabriel? At the beginning of the Oberour Football System’s first season, Milio Gabriel was an assistant under future National Team manager Thoumas d’Herbigny at Invicta in Airzis. But halfway through that season, with a 4-7-7 record and only three points out of last place, Invicta fired d’Herbigny. They attempted to hire the Estipen manager Tristanig Bernard, but failed to finalize a deal. So Invicta made the 36 year old Gabriel the youngest manager in the Premier Division.

His 7-3-8 run as manager over the remained of that season was enough to lift Invicta to 5th place in the final standings. Invicta would let Milio Gabriel go to hire Jan Dujardin from Naucratis as their new manager, unquestionably the right move overall, but Gabriel would more than land on his feet with Meridian in Miletus. In his first season with Meridian he led them to a third-place finish in the A-Division, though they slipped to fifth in his second season. This was still a successful enough run for Hibernus to come calling when they sought to climb out of the Premier Division cellar.

Four four seasons Gabriel managed the Alchemists. In his first season Hibernus finished sixth, and the season afterwards Hibernus rose to third, only the major two of Oberour football, Patrons and Cyrene Bay, finished ahead of them. It appeared the big-spending, tight-lipped Hibernus were announcing themselves as a major power in the Premier Division.

The next two years saw Hibernus slip back. In 1756-1757 Hibernus finished fourth, and the next season Hibernus fell to fifth, as Estipen United advanced. Hibernus only avoided a sixth place finish through tie-breakers.

Hibernus Bank Stadium is known as the Vault, and no secrets escape out of their walls. You will never know the thinking of decisions made there. But consider how Hibernus dropped Iahan Alphand as manager two seasons after Hibernus romped to an A-Division championship.

Hibernus replaced Gabriel with Gilduin Roux, that experienced former national team manager who had been the manager of Patrons, the team always fighting with Cyrene Bay for footballing supremacy.

Is it impossible that the FMC didn’t snatch up a bright star out of Obeorur Ar Moro’s football coaching constellation, but quietly picked up a coach about to be thrown out for lack of success? Is this truly a coup, or picking up scraps?

But what will truly determine if this hire is a so-called coup will be what occurs on the pitch.

The announced players for World Cup 88 Qualification looks like a carbon copy of previous qualification rosters. In goal? Laurens Desainctvictori. Left back and right back? Gwion du Bourc-la-Rayne and Lunen Margas? Down a roster that Kadvael Heault probably could have picked: Petit, Gaspard, Branon, l’Ermite, Pique-Pain. The only innovation on the roster is Gabriel bringing Hibernus sweeper Drev Brébeuf in to start and serve as captain. Mind you, Brébeuf is 32 years old, has multiple caps on his curriculum vitae, and he did push the regular second starting sweeper over the last two qualifications, Mathieu Helleu, only down to first substitute.

It is inarguable that the ascension of Milio Gabriel was greeted with great praise and excitement. Articles and think pieces across the media, and in this magazine itself, wondered and theorized what this would mean for the Dragoons in World Cup qualification. But why so much attention to a functionary?

Perhaps the Oberour football fans give so much attention to the Manager because the players don’t change. The players' roles don’t change. The formation doesn’t change. Oberour Ar Moro coaches and players have described the formation as “4-3-3 with dual sweepers” for as long as anyone can remember. That formation provided the one great moment of success, the legendary 9-1 victory over The Five Worlds, followed by years of near-misses and general malaise at the international level. But the belief remains deep in the Oberour footballing consciousness: This is the correct way to play the game.

Ultimately, Milio Gabriel has seemingly decided that the good old rumsoaked club men will finally push the Oberour Ar Moro national football team to a higher level. A level they’ve never competed at in a way they have never demonstrated. Doing the same thing and expecting a different result. This is the coup the Football Management Committee supported: A coup where nothing has changed.

Perhaps you have a grandmother in the country who will mention the Quiet Lands, that mythical place of old Azorian folklore. They speak its name on a moonless night when the birds fall silent, and whisper a prayer to Saint Dénès on a morning where light is yet to break and breeze is yet to blow and even the dust in the air hangs motionless.

The Quiet Lands were said to be a place where the green of spring trees and the blue of a summer ocean is replaced with the gray of a stone wall in a town where you know no one and no one cares enough to even laugh at you. Where nothing dies but nothing lives, where the sun doesn’t rise and the stars don’t shine but the darkness never finally falls. A world covered in roke but never cleaned by a storm. No hope or dream or aspiration or failure or success or momentum or worth.

It is strange to look at a place as seemingly dynamic as Regium, and know there is a place like the Parade Grounds within city limits, where time doesn't flow the same way as in the rest of the Dominion. Where the clock runs slower than the world around it, or where the clock has frozen completely. Perhaps we have just watched a coup, and the dusty past truly is the bright future. Hopefully the Quiet Lands won’t swallow us all during World Cup 88 qualification.

- Perrik de Leur-Sainz

René pulled up his e-mail and clicked to compose a response. He paused with his fingers above the keys, then lifted his hand to rub the bridge of his nose while he considered what he had read. The criticism of the FMC, Milio Gabriel, and the players on the national team was bad enough. But going on about old folk-nonsense like the Quiet Lands?

Though, and René was suddenly struck with the memory, he did actually have a grandmother who would bring up the Quiet Lands, mostly to threaten him if he was being lazy when he was visiting. He didn’t quite get it then, or now frankly, but thinking back he could tell she was very serious about it, and she found it actually frightening.

But what about Perrik de Leur-Sainz’s essay? This essay had “long review with the Ministry of Information'' written all over it, and once it got out of writer purgatory the Dragoons would have probably played Srednjaci already, and the essay would be long out of date.

Shaking his head, René wrote his e-mail to Marie. This essay was not worth the hassle and he would recommend responding with a thanks but no thanks. He pushed send, then pulled up his word processor to get back to writing his own article. He reached his hand out to get his cup of coffee, to get a bracing assist of caffeine to help him press on...

...he’d forgotten to get a coffee. Marie had interrupted him and he’d returned to his desk empty handed. He groaned under his breath and stood up again, and hoped no one else wanted a favor in between here and the kitchen and back.
Last edited by Oberour Ar Moro on Sat May 08, 2021 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
_The Dominion of_Oberour Ar Moro_

Sylestone
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 05, 2018
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Sylestone » Sat May 08, 2021 3:32 pm

Group 6 Overview

Zwangzug (21)
The Pot 1 side in Group 6, Zwangzug have an almost-guaranteed place somewhere within the top two. This will almost certainly leave us, Trolleborg and Tequilo all fighting over one spot. However, the Zwangzugians will have deserved it, being consistent qualifiers for the World Cup for many, many years now. We cannot see anything apart from a pair of losses against these guys, but you never know. At home, we might be able to hold them to a draw.

Predictions:
Home: 0-1
Away: 3-0

Trolleborg (25)
In Pot 2 is Trolleborg, a side who have been on the brink of making the world cup for quite a few cycles up until the previous one, where they finally made it after beating The Holy Empire on a lesser-known tiebreaker to take first spot in the group. This cycle, they will be back and stronger than ever. However, they will face stiff competition to qualify from the likes of Tequilo and Sylestone. Will they do it?

Predictions:
Home: 1-2
Away: 2-0

Tequilo (53)
In Pot 3 is the mighty Tequilo. There’s been so much said about them, but unfortunately, they haven’t had the chance to stand up to it just yet. However, drawn into a group with Zwangzug and Trolleborg, they might just sense that they have a chance of making it past one or the other. However, with the likes of Sylestone and Rangers FC on their tail, it will be a very hard-fought result.

Predictions:
Home: 1-1
Away: 1-3

Sylestone (74)
Us! In Pot 4 are the Sentient objects of Sylestone, a side who has a history of doing absolute shite in World Cup Qualifiers (up until last cycle). They will be looking to break that habit for the second cycle in a row and maybe even finish in the top three. However, with the likes of Zwangzug, Trolleborg and Tequilo ahead of them, it’s certainly not looking good. Not yet.

Rangers FC (100)
Ah, the mighty Broxi the Bear of Rangers FC. Ranked 100th in the world, the Rangers might not be expected to go that far, but memories are still fresh of what happened to Savigliane last cycle. Ranked outside of the top 100… everyone knows the rest. But they will be super hard-pressed to even make the top four, although I guess us Sylestoneans are a bit beatable. Let’s hope not.

Predictions:
Home: 2-0
Away: 1-2

North Japan (124)
North Japan may only be ranked 124th, but after finishing in the round of 16 last Cup of Harmony, anything can happen. They will be quite a force, although they might still not be able to finish top five. Yet, as we know, anything can happen in the world of football, and as a result, they might not be as easy as we think.

Predictions:
Away: 0-0

Sannyamathland (191)
In Pot 7 are Sannyamathland, making their debut in the 87th World Cup Qualifiers last cycle. They had a shocking Baptism of Fire and could not back it up with a good qualifying cycle, finishing in ninth place in their ten-team group with only eleven points. They will be searching for blood this cycle… and probably won’t get it. Yet, you never can know, can you?

Predictions:
Home: 3-0
Away: 0-2

Al Qurija (201)
In Pot 8 are the ex-Unofficial World Champions, Al Qurija! They came back from a six year hiatus in World Cup 87 and will be looking to build upon a shocking cycle from last time around where they only garnered ten points from eighteen matches. However, they are in with a shot at doing at least respectably this cycle, especially if they can beat the likes of Sannyamathland and perhaps even North Japan.

Predictions:
Home: 3-1
Away: 0-1

Talkasa (301)
A side who were recently knocked out in the Baptism of Fire round of 16, Talkasa will be looking to improve upon their performance with a respectable result in the qualifiers. However, whether they can do that is yet to be seen, and could well flunk out early on. Then again, we have seen sides from Baptisms of Fire do very well in recent years, so everyone could be in for a surprise.

Predictions:
Home: 3-0
Away: 1-3

Bollonich (UR)
The unranked side in Group 6 is Bollonich, a side of whom the Sentients have already played two games against in friendlies. Both games were close, but resulted in 2-1 victories for the Sentients. However, with a little more experience under their belt, who knows how far these guys will go? They certainly have the prowess, now they just need to change that into results.

Predictions:
Away: 1-1

Friendlies

Results:
Tumbra 4-4 Sylestone
The Licentian Isles 1–0 Sylestone
Independent Athletes from Quebec 3-2 Sylestone
Muralos 0–0 Sylestone
Poafmersia 1-1 Sylestone
Bollonich 1-2 Sylestone
Sylestone 2-1 Bollonich
Sylestone 2-3 Zeta Reka and Hugeltaldom
Sylestone 0-1 HUElavia
Sylestone 2–1 South Newlandia
Sylestone 0–0 The Gothanita Isles
Sylestone 0–1 Vdara
Sylestone 2–2 Oberour Ar Moro
Sylestone 2–1 Atheara

In preparation for the 88th World Cup Qualifiers, Sylestone played a whopping fourteen friendlies against twelve separate sporting nations, finishing with four wins, five draws and five losses. The first six games were played away from home, with two in Esportiva and one in each of Atlantian Oceania, Asian Archipelago, The North Pacific and The Democratika. The remaining eight games were all played in Sylestone across a variety of stadiums, the last one against Atheara in Kirkham before the Sentients moved to Halpenley for the opening match of qualifying against Talkasa.
The first game was played against region-mates Tumbra. Both nations generally get on pretty well, and the hospitality the Sentients were given showed that. However, the game was far different. Both sides were ever-more determined to win, playing their hearts out. An absolute goal-fest ensued, but neither team could make an advantage as the final result was a 4-4 draw. It was a game of World Cup quality, though, and a good sign for both sides heading into the qualifiers.
Still in Esportiva, the Sentients then travelled to Abingdon in the Licentian Isles, where they suffered their first loss of the tour. The Isles are coming back from a long hiatus, however, were still a formidable side. Sylestone quickly learned that, with Miles Henderson scoring an early goal to give the Licentians an early lead. Despite their best efforts, the Sentients could not bounce back and were handed a surprising, and tough, loss.
They then played a much better game against the Quebecois, but still came up second best in a close 3-2 loss to the Independent Athletes. As is the history between these two nations, the game was very even, but in the end, the higher-ranked side deservedly won out. However, it was only through Hazel Hanson-Conavacio’s literal last second goal from a corner that separated the scoreline.
Following this tough loss, the Sentients next game was all the way over the other side of the world in the Independent region of Asian Archipelago. The game itself was against the region’s best side, Muralos, who have a very bright future in the world of football. The game was relatively close, but possibly only due to the jet lag of the Sentients.
Sylestone then travelled all the way to the North Pacific to play against the likes of the 26th ranked Poafmersia. Going into the game, everyone back home were expecting a loss against the mighty Poafmers, but it wasn’t to be. It was an absolute masterclass by the Sentient objects of Kirkham, keeping Poafmersia to a tense 1-1 draw.
In the last friendly match of the away games before returning home, Sylestone played against the likes of Bollonich, an unranked side drawn in Group 6 with the Sentients in a home-and-away pair of fixtures. Both games finished with 2-1 victories to the Sylestoneans, but as the results show, they weren’t necessarily convincing. The Bollonischian side fought to the very last second, but simply could not defeat the might of the Sentients. Nevertheless, the two results well and truly showed to the world what these new guys could do.
The second home game, up in the treetop city of Pesfield, the Sentients took on the 69th ranked Zeta Reka and Hugeltaldom in a closely-fought match. However, the Rekans were the better side on the day and deserved to take away a 3-2 win. They did have to fight for it, though, with the Sentients getting very close to scoring multiple times. However, the result came down to a master substitution. In the 73rd minute, star midfielder Stani Gross was subbed for the unknown K.A. Stewanowić, a baffling tactic considering the game was deadlocked at 2-2. However, it worked wonders. Ten minutes later, Stewanowić smacked a perfect shot from outside the box to take the win with both hands.
The following game was in the capital city, Avondale, against a mighty HUElavia team determined to make amends for the failures in recent qualifiers. However, the Sentients gave them barely any chances, continuing to keep HUElavia’s persevering forwards out of the game until the last few moments. Unfortunately, though, the Sofa went one step too far and earned itself a yellow card inside the penalty box. The resulting penalty could not be stopped by the almighty Brick Wall and the HUElavians had grabbed their victory.
The most impressive performance by the Sentients came in the following game at the same venue, only two days later. It was against a returning South Newlandian team, worn out after playing multiple friendly games. However, do not take anything away from the Sylestoneans. They thoroughly deserved their 2-1 victory against the 31st ranked nation in the world, much to the delight of the 75,000-strong home crowd. When the Tumble Dryer scored the home side’s second goal in the 88th minute, people were reportedly deafened after a chaotic roar. However, it was nothing compared to the roar that swept the streets of the city when the victory was confirmed. In a fucking friendly.
Five days later, the third qualifying game at Avondale, this one against The Gothanita Isles, was nowhere as intense as the two previous ones. Yes, some good football was played, but compared to the game against South Newlandia? No chance. The final result of the game was a 0-0 draw, but the Sentients really did dominate. However, credit does have to go to the Gothanitan defenders, playing their hearts out and getting a deserved result.
The Sentients then travelled to Chamberley to play against region-mates Vdara and came out with yet another loss. It was close, but the experience of the Vdarans ended up getting to the Sylestoneans, scoring a late goal to take the win. What made this late goal so special, though, is that it was by the Vdaran goalkeeper, Zaharias Frangoglou, who had previously played in Sylestone. Making a run up the pitch as part of a dare with a teammate, he kept the ball away from the Sentient defenders and… scored. Don’t ask.
To finish off the marathon run of friendlies, two games, against Oberour Ar Moro and Atheara, were played in Kirkham. The first of these was against Oberour Ar Moro in front of 20,000 Sentient objects. It was a great game, with neither side being able to gain any sort of advantage, and a 2-2 draw to go with it.
The final game was against Atheara… but not Atheara. Well, I guess it was Atheara…’s AI? Anyhow, it was a close game, with both sides thoroughly enjoying it, but in the end, it was a 2-1 win to the Sentients. It didn’t come, however, without a fight. The last ten minutes were quite intense as all the AI needed to do was score again to draw, but fortunately, it didn’t happen. On to Halpenley and Talkasa!
Football: WC94 Qualifiers, CE35&36 semifinalists
Cricket: GCF WT20 XVI champions, ODI WT II semifinalists, GCF WT20 XV semifinalists, EspoT20 I&II champions
BoF 74, CoH 78, CoH 81, GCF WT20 XV, HWC 24, EspoT20 I&III

Ko-oren
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ko-oren » Sun May 09, 2021 4:12 am

NS World Cup Fantasy Qualification

For Fantasy players: new sign-ups are accepted until (a few hours before) the MD2/3 cutoff. So get your picks in fast!

-- This has nothing to do with the World Cup as a whole - for everyone without Fantasy aspirations: no worries, carry on!
Last edited by Ko-oren on Sun May 09, 2021 4:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
WCC and WCOH President and NS Sports' only WC, WBC, WB, WCOH, IBC, RUWC, Test Cricket, ODI, and T20 loser!

Trigramme: KOR - Demonym: Ko-orenite - Population: 27.270.096
Map - Regions - Spreadsheets - Domestic Sports Newswires - Factbooks
Champions 1x World Cup - 1x CoH - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 4x World Bowl - 1x IBC - 4x RUWC - 3x RLWC - 2x T20 WC - 1x AODICC - 2x ARWC - 1x FHWC - 1x HWC - 1x Beach Cup
Runners-up 1x World Cup - 3x CAFA - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 3x World Bowl - 1x WCoH - 4x IBC - 2x RUWC - 1x GCF Test Cricket - 1x ODI WT - 2x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x WLC - 1x FHWC
Organisation & Hosting 2x WCC President - 1x WCOH President / 1x BoF - 1x CAFA - 1x World Bowl - 1x WCOH - 2x RUWC - 1x ODI WT - 1x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x ARWC - 1x FHWC - (defunct) IRLCC, BCCC, Champions Bowl

Bollonich
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 20, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Bollonich » Sun May 09, 2021 4:51 am

Vreton City Journal

The World Cup is on us!
The dreams of millions of Bollonischians rest on the shoulders of the Tigers. The Tigers who shall be part of the World Cup Qualifying for the first time will be coming up against Al Qurija in their home ground in the first match. Al Qurija is ranked 201 in the world, however they still haven’ identified the players that shall be representing them in the World Cup. The macth against Al Qurija, which the Tigers will play away can produce a favourable result however shall be a highly competitive and intense match. Bollonich being a pot 10 team means that almost every team in the group shall have more experience than the Tigers originating from Bollonich. This results in our qualification chances to be low as well, however Bollonischians are known to be gritty and extreme competitors as was portrayed by the Lacrosse and Rugby 7s team respectively. The Lacrosse team participating in their first ever WLC progressed through to the playoffs where we were finally knocked out. This qualification was sealed after defeating the 2nd ranked team Banija in a close encounter. The Rugby 7s team also reached the semis of the Plate before being knocked out by the 4th ranked team, Copper Cuprum. The Football team would wish to replicate such performances in the upcoming WCQ. These intentions could also be seen in Gildiric Likhijo’s words, the manager of The Bollonischian Football Team.
“We arrive at the tournament as an unknown factor, the underdog. We don’t expect to qualify, we expect to bring joy to our fans and make our mark.
Our first game is against Al Qurija, a team that is ranked at 201, however we feel a win against them is possible and that we should certainly go for it. We have formulated strategies to break down their defence and everyone should be expecting some goals as we are to go onto the field with the soul intention of entertaining our fans.
The group is certainly difficult however we look forward to hosting teams like Tequilo, Sylestone, Zwangzug and Rangers FC. We have lots to learn from teams like these, and with our friendlies I feel our team is ready to take on any team the tournament can throw at us."
Meh

Adab
Negotiator

Founded: May 28, 2014
Democratic Socialists

Postby Adab » Sun May 09, 2021 6:13 am

A Dance with Football
Snapshots of the lives of the people involved in Adabian football and those associated with them

Chapter 17: Bloodline, Part 2

There was still a trace of him in him, at least. Rashid nodded again, confirming this to himself.

The old man stayed still, staring at Rashid, his smile unchanging. God, no, has he forgotten how to change his expression? Cautiously Rashid brought himself closer, one small step after another, unsure if the man had become frozen or something.

But the old man reciprocated his gesture, if painfully slowly. His left hand grasped the arm of the sofa, the right hand weakly flailing at thin air with nothing to hold on to. He rose, shaking a little at his knees. The nurse launched herself forward, fearing that he would fall. But he stood. And, gradually, he walked. And he extended his hand at Rashid.

Rashid took it. He clenched his lips tight, but still smiling, and he looked into the man’s eyes. In this position they stayed, until Rashid realized that the old man was not going to offer him a hug, or that he was going to do anything else. “Dad,” he said softly.

Then he released his hand from his father’s grasp. He opened his arms, and launched them around his father’s back, pulling him in. The great Alulim Abbas shouldn’t have to spend his old age like this. “Dad,” Rashid’s voice grew softer, “how are you?”

“Who is that?” his father meekly replied, pointing somewhere to Rashid’s left.

Rashid turned towards where his father had pointed. “What? Dad, that’s- oh…” He trailed off, noticing the nurse.

The nurse seemed to understand what was on Rashid’s mind. “It’s fine. He.. often forgets,” she said to Rashid, her voice tinged with a resigned tone, before turning to Alulim. “I’m Sabiha, Mr. Abbas. I’m your nurse.”

“Oh,” Alulim nodded, slowly backing away from his son and offering his hand to the nurse. “It’s good to see you.”

The old man then withdrew back to the sofa, and Rashid joined him on the one wooden chair that had been set up next to the sofa. “Do you remember who I am, dad?” he said, instantly regretting it. That maybe could’ve used a bit of rewording.

But if Alulim was concerned about the wording, he did not show it, or perhaps he was not capable to. He just nodded and kept smiling. “Rashid,” came the simple, almost monotonic answer. He would not carry the conversation.

Nevertheless Rashid breathed out in relief. He still knew his son. “How are you, dad?”

“I’m fine. Do you know…” He never continued the sentence. He did not seem to remember that he had said that sentence.

“It’s good to know that,” Rashid said, beaming if rather resigned. “It’s good to know that.” What even was there to know?

At this point, Rashid noticed Sabiha the nurse still standing, facing him. He motioned for her to sit on the sofa, next to his sofa, but as she advanced towards the sofa she was stopped on her tracks by a knock on the door. She promptly turned around and rushed to open the door.

A split second later Rashid realized who was coming. As had become a habit for him, he nodded to himself in understanding, then rose to his feet. His father remained on the sofa, his head turned slightly towards the door, but otherwise he remained unmoving. Solemn, even.

The door opened, the sound of its creaking open soon drowned by those of chatter and shoes clashing against the floor and grocery bags being put on the table. The first person to emerge was another nurse who had just put those bags, not the one Rashid was expecting. She chatted a little bit with Sabiha before they both disappeared behind the thin wall that separated the living room from the narrow corridor with the table and leading to the door, maybe to tend to the contents of those bags.

The next person Rashid had certainly expected. If his father was the first reason he came here, then she was the second one. She moved towards the living room just as the nurses went the opposite way. Rashid realized that the chatter had died down; maybe Sabiha had told her of the guest, and that was bound to elicit a solemn silence from her. They knew each other, but they hadn’t met for a while. Every encounter now seemed increasingly rare.

Now she walked onto the living room. Rashid was on his feet, his father sitting next to him. The woman turned to face the visitor. Nothing was said, and for a full thirty seconds all Rashid and the woman did was stare at each other.

Eventually it was the woman who broke the ice, breaking into a faint, little smile for the first time since she entered the room. “Hey, bro.”

“Hey, Kara.”

They walked down the lobby and past the door, nodding politely at a security guard along the way. They stopped just before the marble steps leading down to the road. Kara leaned on the nearest pillar, facing outwards to the small trees lining up along the way. Rashid was two or three feet away, facing her.

“Well, how can I expect anything else from you, bro?” Kara said, grinning. “Disappearing and reappearing is pretty much your gig.”

“Oh come on, don’t be like that,” Rashid replied, finding that he couldn’t help but laugh a little. He launched a hand towards Kara, tapping her on the shoulder. His voice grew tender. “You know I have no plans to disappear again this time. I got called by the high and mighty Adab Football Association. I had some business to take care of.”

“You’ve only been back here for, what? A few weeks?” Kara rolled her eyes and glanced upwards, sniggering. “Then you had to disappear to Adab City for another few weeks, hunkering down at some dank meeting place with some football figures and the great high almighty Saad Kaykali. I don’t call that not planning to disappear.”

Rashid smiled, withdrawing his hand from Kara’s shoulder. Her little sister hadn’t changed much. “I mean we literally chat on the phone, but whatever makes you happy sis.”

“You disappeared for years, silly. Chatting on the phone doesn’t even start to make up for all the lost years.”

Rashid nodded and looked down, then slowly up again. On this his sister had a point. “Well,” Kara continued, wiping something – dust, maybe – from under her eyelids, “at least you’re not on witness protection or a secret mission or whatever you said the government made you do. It’s nice to see you again, bro. It really is.”

“And it’s nice to see you again,” Rashid said, beaming. “My little sister is now head of Faraby’s delegation to WorldVision and the World Hit Festival. She’s going places!”

“Why do I sense like you’re mocking me there,” Kara laughed.

“I’m not, silly,” Rashid laughed back, and then looked down and up again, taking a breath. “Hey, how is Dad doing now?”

Kara knew at this point the conversation had turned serious. She sighed deeply, putting her lips tightly together and somewhat looking down from her brother’s gaze. “He’s doing well for someone at his stage,” she began, clearly choosing her words carefully. “He still walks, still talks a little bit… but he’s forgetting more and more people. I know I’ve said this, but I’m sorry you didn’t get to see him when you first returned, but… he was going through a rough patch at the time-“

“Hey, it’s alright,” Rashid said, putting both his hands on his sister’s shoulders, his voice fraught with affection. “Look at me, sis. It’s gonna be alright, sis. It’s gonna be alright.”

“For us, maybe,” Kara said, slowly looking up at her brother, tears welling up, “but not for Dad. He’s never gonna be alright again. With each passing day, with each passing week and month and year, parts of him are gonna be lost for good.” Each passing word seemed to come at a faster pace. “In the end, he’s gonna be confined to bed, not being able to walk, talk, or do anything, not even know his own name. He’ll be gone long before he’s gone.”

Rashid slowly pulled Kara closer to him, occasionally glancing to his left and behind to make sure they were not within the sight of others in the vicinity, listening as the tears began to stream down her eyes. “Sis, we need to find him a unit that is actually above ground. He needs to be able to look at a window, look outside, and not just endless expanses of wall.”

“I tried a while ago, but all the units here are full.” She sniffed, trying to hold the tears back. “Bro, do you really have to accept that job? I don’t want you to go away again.”

“I have to,” Rashid sighed. “This whole goddamn island is counting on me. I’m the representative of this island in Adabian football or something. I need to carry the banner of our island.” He was silent for a while, then continued. “Look, sis, this time, when I’m away you’ll know exactly where I am in this world. And I’m gonna go back here whenever I’ve got the chance. This is my home and you know it, sis.”

Through her tears Kara nodded, and then she put her arms around her brother, holding him tight.
Last edited by Adab on Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:40 am, edited 4 times in total.
Male, 23, Indonesian

Major partner in free association with Faraby (that's my puppet/secondary nation IRL).

Factbook

Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.
-Muhammad Ali

Talamia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 08, 2018

Postby Talamia » Sun May 09, 2021 8:57 am

THE 88th WORLD CUP: QUALIFYING STAGE
| WHERE | HOW | WHY |

Talamia, a subtropical paradise in the Democratic Socialist Assembly
“Talamia” comes from the ancient greek word ϑάλαμος, that in the Homeric age indicated various rooms of the stately home, such as the room where the mistress was entertained, the storeroom of the treasures and, in particular, the bedroom. The reason why the country has historically adopted this name is to be traced in the famous legend of the "Boy-King". According to this myth, the foundation of Talamia took place "a thousand years before the complete dissolution of the seas", by a brave young man, who proclaimed the independence of his bedroom from the rest of the globe, already corrupted, gallantly leading the country untill his death.

Talamia is located in the Democratic Socialist Assembly, in the eastern part of the Romaxia continent. Facing the Herrebrugh Sea, the Pralladoke Island is also part of its territory. Talamia borders with Fenika to the north and with Sörslúth to the north-west. Its southern border, shared with Mon Silanies, coincides with the Karpia river. The other two rivers flowing in Talamia are the Drahma river, on whose mouth the city of Clinepalas rises, and its tributary SurruDrahma. Together, Drahma and SurruDrahma form the political borders of the Uperinde region. Talamia's coasts - completely overlooking the Herrebrugh Sea - are low and sandy continentally and high and rocky in the Pralladoke island. The highest point of the country is the cliff of Scopel, near the town of Acroscope, in Crocora, which measures 1229 meters in height.

The nation enjoys a predominantly humid subtropical climate, with hints of Mediterranean climate along the coasts. There are many and vast lands in the Talamian territory. The most famous and visited is that of Pento, in the past poorly managed, almost forced to disappear because of the precious wood that was obtained from the felling of its trees, and today in constant regrowth, thanks to eco-friendly policies and enhancement of the territory by the government. The region of Iseremia, instead, is the only one to boast a desert, the so-called Little Desert of the Sun (or desert of Liptelj, from the province in which it is located).

Thanks to the absence of customs and controls along the borders and policies in favor of immigration and reception, Talamia is the cradle of many civilizations and cultures, making it impossible to censor the actual number of languages spoken within its borders or the percentages of foreign inhabitants. However, Talamian and English are recognized as official languages of the state. The right to citizenship is guaranteed to anyone born on Talamian soil and to anyone who has resided in the country for at least five years.

The most popular sport in the country is soccer. The highest level of the professional Talamian soccer system is the Talamian Alfa League, which as of today counts fourteen teams. It operates on a system of promotion and relegation with the Talamian Beta League. The most titled team is Fortis Epops, with 29 titles won in their history. Talamia has its own national soccer representative: the Talamian National Football Team.
The new Ebdemar Au'tokra Stadium,
rebuilt in 2018.

The Ebdemar Au'tokra Stadium, our home
Clinepalas counts 10,029,416 inhabitants and it's the largest city in the country. Located on the mouth of the Drahma River, it overlooks the Herrebrugh Sea. Being the oldest city, it is also the one with the largest number of places of interest and monuments. The national body responsible for managing the Talamian cultural heritage is ko.de.pa.so., and among others, one of the places it controls is the Ebdemar Au'tkora Stadium.

Initially built for HoopoeBall, the Ebdemar Au'tokra Stadium has always been the home of our National Football Team, since its founding. Talamia played their first match at the stadium on November 30 1914 against Sörslúth, winning 6-2. The stadium has undergone many renovations over time, before being permanently closed and then demolished in 2015, in its hundredth birthday. For a period of three years, the team played their home games in various stadiums around Talamia as the Ebdemar Au'tokra was beaing completely rebuilt. The first match played in the new stadium that just reopened took place on 22 April 2018 and it was once again against Sörslúth. The stadium is today owned by the city of Clinepalas, being considered cultural heritage.

Today, the all-seater stadium has a capacity of 84,000, and it is protected from the elements by a sliding roof that does not completely enclose it. It also has a heated ground, four LED screens and an internal restaurant, called "ArgaleOpson". Located in the Ptoco district, the stadium is in the city center, and it is easily accessible by subway (line P),bus (30, 628 or 913) and taxi. Being provided with paid parking, it can also be reached via private vehicle.

Visit us: it is easy
From the forests of Pento, to the ancient palaces of Mentrenalio, through the theatres of Anen and the monasteries of the campaigns of Crocora, the Talamian culture is among the richest and most varied in the Democratic Socialist Assembly.

Thanks to its liberal immigration policies, the absence of frontiers and customs, and thanks to the numerous port cities and its position on the Herrebrugh Sea, Talamia is home to various cultures, a crossroads of many peoples, and very easy to reach. The most important ports are those of Epacra, Clinepalas and Acroscope - recently renovated to host the fifth round of the 2020 DSA Ocean Race. But Talamia cannot be reached only by sea. If you want to fly to our hinterland, the Clinepalas airport is served by the main airlines of the world, while on the island of Pralladoke you can land in the rich airport of the rich city of Dapsopsoli, and have fun in its casinos. If you are visiting Fenika, Mon Silanies or Sörslúth, you can also enter our country by train: our cities are all connected by a dense railway network - apart from the desert region of Iseremia.
The Elothera Dapeda of Talamia

A Socialist Republic, located on the east coast of the Romaxia continent, in the south-west of the Democratic Socialist Assembly

Trolleborg
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Trolleborg » Sun May 09, 2021 11:34 am

Greetings, compatriots! It’s TTV, i’m Tiernes Riper and we will discuss forthcoming WCQ with Morten Kerr, former coach of youth national team.

M.K.: Greetings, compatriots! I hope that my judgements will be useful for you.

T.M.: So, how you see our qualifying group?

M.K.: In few words, it can be much worse. Not to say that things are rose and all, but nevertheless we must admit that. And, on the other hand, teams in our group are both distinctive, with their own faces and styles, and dangerous. It will be amazing and bright contest with a lot of surprises, I think. Probably, our group will be one of the most – if not the most – entertaining in the whole of WCQ. Four teams, if we counted just those who already shown themselves, will surely fight for qualifying spots, and it’s visible, that some dark horses can also break through. And remember, two cycles ago we play in group with future world champion, and recently with team who have bronze medal. I must add, that in both our appearances in World Cup proper we have a medalists in our groups. One who play in “our” groups is almost surely destined to the top! (both laughs)

T.M.: Some teams is already having history with us...

M.K.: Yes, but in fact only two of them, both with two games each and all of them in the IACs. Be precise, (pronounced with difficulty) San-ny-am-a-thland and Tequilo, with former recently put us out of contest in the recent IAC and having positive balance of wins and loses with our lads, despite our best efforts, and Tequilo, which having negative balance with us, depite being favourite both times. (pronounced with difficulty) San-ny-am-a-thland, of course, will make everything to keep relationship sheet as it was. And Tequilo, without doubts, will try to even, and have a good chances to do so. Zwangzug is well-known to us due to the fact that we play BoF here, and, probably, having a lot of friends here, but don't expect this been reason for a warm welcome on the field. Team must prepared for a really tough fight both home and afield.

T.M.: Probably most exotic team is Sylestone...

M.K.: Yeah, and I will recommed everyone go see games themselves, since most probably in 3D you risked to see something ununderstandable. It’s known, that in 3D sometimes women looked like a man, stadiums changed appearance, green shirts looked like blue one, and so on. Sentient appliances is likely confuse our AI. I don’t know how it all will be at the end, and, as I heard, TTV technicians don’t know either. (both laughs). And this country is full of surprises. There was, for example, fish-team from Sylestone recently. I’m overheard that TTV-Sport after success of their experience with Juan Tzimisces having entertain idea of having make interviews with most exciting and exotic sport figures of the world, with coaches Mantis and Shark being prime candidates for being interviewed.

T.M.: Yes, it will be, probably, very interesting encounter and maybe very interesting TV-show, but right now TTV-Sport is put on hold all activity. For our foreign viewers, I make it clear, that channel have issue with some functionairies, but soon it was expected return to work. And, returning to the group...

M.K.: I know, you will ask who else especially worth take a close look. My answer is – everyone. But Bolllonischian Tigers especially. It’s visible, that this team seriously think about ways and means of countering opponents and successfully practice tight field formation. Some teams prefer to stay in the dark, under cover of secrecy, not publishing even a bit of information.

T.M.: And this is sometimes very successful strategy, as we see in last four tournaments, yes?

M.K.: Yes. And no. Dark-horses inflict many bruises on our lads recently. And I must add, that incompetence on the part of referees and officials is also play a role. Awful referee can make your life on the field very bleak even without resorting to fake penalties and undeserved red cards. In fact sometimes referees can bring harm not due to the bias, or incompetence, but just because they are plain dumb. You know, what I mean, all see this in the second part of last WCQ. If Trolleborg ever host major tournament, we must assure that referees is competent.

T.M.: And how?..

M.K.: We discuss this recently in the big training camp for a coaches. If opportunity arose, we will try invite referees from every country which taking part in tournament and add some from other regions known for integrity and clear-vision of game itself.

T.M.: But looked like you wanted add something beside galloping dark-horses and refereeing?

M.K.: Yes, and this is, in my opinion, main problem of the team, greatly outweight other. This is psychology. Sometimes is wrong with it in our people. Look – we did great in WCQ-87, than inexplicable lost to Waisnor, and after that (altought not without help of biased referees) line of bleak games follows. Then we go to the MC and again see something like this – great first game, unexpected misfire and rather unsuccessful attempts to recover. After that IAC come – with almost the same diagnosis. Again unexplicable undeserved defeat – and team can’t fully regain itself up to the end. The same is even more visible at the India Cup. Three victories in row, one draw with the grandee of tournament, acquire tickets to the playoff with great teamwork – and how it all ended? Then we lose to the team that already out – and after that lads clearly lose a steam. And it is not fault of head coach, as someone my conclude. This is visible tendency I can see myself in action.

T.M.: And where a way out?

M.K.: Probably we must did something like our training camp for goalkeepers. Or taking some specialists from abroad. And begin to work with younger players so to make them less prone to such things. I hope that this curse will be dispelled in due course, and, possibly, soon.

T.M.: And let’s hope that team will not break under weight.

M.K.: Things not bad, if we compare our team with others. It’s our fifth campaign, and twice we go to the World Cup proper. We are well-known to the Multiverse, and, in addition, known as team that is interesting but difficult to play with. This is not small success at all. And let’s not going into despair when not everything is as we wanted to see.

T.M.: Let’s hope and lend lads a maximum possible support.

Eshialand
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 03, 2017
Anarchy

Postby Eshialand » Sun May 09, 2021 10:04 pm

A New Beginning

"Hello and good morning Eshialand City! It's 7:30 in the AM and you're listening to EYEC 96.8 FM The Beat!"

Ah, another lovely morning. The Sun is shining, the birds are singing, and you slept like a baby. Nothing can stop you today!

RRRING! RRRING!

Okay, maybe that will. "Hello?"

"Hey George!" Oh, did I mention? You're George Habisbrauer, right center back for the Eshian national soccer team.

"Coach? What are you calling me about?"

"I got an interesting letter this morning and I'm arranging a team meeting to talk about it! Can you come to the SuperDome around noon?"

"Sure, I don't have any plans today..." you reply, while muttering "except for lunch with Rebecca..." under your breath.

"Great! I'll see ya then!"

"Sure thing, Coach..."

This sure isn't going to be a fun day...

The media circus isn't nearly as bad that day as it was in the days immediately following the Baptism of Fire, but there certainly are questions about why you're going to the stadium in the middle of the day when the team's next match isn't for a week and a half... is Coach nervous about losing the match? Is there some sort of problem you're trying to sort out? If only you could just tell them to buzz off and get a real life... of course, that would only make the media problem worse. Imstead, you show some restraint, but you play out the scenario in your head for a while, just enjoying the freedom of letting it all out, however imaginary it may be...

You arrive at the stadium, and most of the team is already there to greet you. A few people are running late, like Dominique LaPlante and Steven Lachey, but they'll arrive soon enough. They arrive at 12:14, and Coach begins to address the team.

"As you probably know, I recently received an interesting letter that I'd like to read to all of you. What I know you don't know is what's in this letter, and needless to say, I think you'll all like it."

He takes the letter out of the already-opened envelope, and you notice an odd stamp on the envelope... you don't know where it's from, but it certainly isn't Eshian.

Kenneth Morgan
Head Coach and Interim President, the Eshialand Soccer Federation.

Mr. Morgan,

I'm writing this letter to wish you luck in our upcoming match, to be held in Holy Road Stadium in ten days' time. As our first international opponents, I'd like to invite you and your team to a formal get-together, to be held two nights before the match. Hopefully, this will be the beginning of a wonderful friendship between our two nations.

Please RSVP by Tuesday with a list of players who will be joining you if you wish to come.

Signed, Richard Blackheart
President, the Starsian Football Association.

"So, how does that sound? Do you all want to go?"

His question is met with thunderous applause. Apparently, parties are pretty popular... who knew?

"Okay, I'll tell him that we're all coming!"

Maybe today hasn't been so bad after all...

(to be continued)
Anything I say is IC unless proven otherwise by a court of law.

(he/him/any/all)

Nephara
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Nephara » Mon May 10, 2021 1:45 am

Edmund Langkamp, Member for Layford and two-term representative of the Moving Forward party, was about to start some shit.
Langkamp was a diligent sort of man, lean and shrewd, with an understated ambition, currently holding his own in a battle with alopecia. Still, he cut an unassuming and fairly off-brand figure in his well-pressed grey suit. When he'd make international - or at least regional - headlines in the coming days, people wouldn't be able to tell this was Nephara. At least, not until they spotted the Pro Dem over his shoulder, a hulking hard-butch with an intricate neck tattoo straining into a black suit.
Anyway, it had begun with a letter from a concerned constituent. It had started out on probation ("Although I did not vote for your party in the prior election...") it built up promise as time passed on ("... may consider breaking from a lifetime voting National if...") before making the case, a case Langkamp now passed on to the Assembly.
"We cannot wash our hands of the crisis in Sameba--"
And already there was rumbling across the Assembly. Sameba! They'd shed so much blood for the right not to give a shit about Sameba... if there was a crisis there, so bloody be it... and even his fellow Forwards looked dubious, this was not on the song-sheet outside of some vague hand-wringing over the treatment of Sameban political radicals during the war that nobody else really gave a shit about.
"Order!" bellowed the Speaker. By tradition, there was a five-foot sword on his desk, lying naked and kept viciously sharp. To serve as a Nepharan ornament, after all, it could be no mere ornament. No Speaker had killed a man in the Assembly in close to a century, but it still helped focus minds. "The Member for Layford has the floor."
Langkamp cleared his throat, unperturbed. "We cannot wash our hands of the crisis in Sameba. Nepharan blood washed up on their shore, Nepharan generals lead Nepharan troops to raise Nepharan flags over their walls and drop Nepharan bombs on their halls. For years we trumpeted our role, eager to win recognition, glory, just like the old days. But we have heard precious little of late. Where was our national pride when the muzzles flashed at Aspel, I ask, as our allies in Bastion struggle to maintain their hard-won control through democratic means..."
And chaos reigned once again.

"Anyway, it was nothing at all to worry about," Lars Conder said, some hours later. Sycophantic, noted the others in the room. But he was young, competent, eager to please in his new role as Chancellor. Still, he'd learn soon enough that the boss didn't want the nice picture, but the right picture.
"It was a good speech," Margravine Bryony Lindt remarked. She was an unremarkable woman, physically. A slightly stout brunette, standing at five and a half feet and with a penchant for bland navy blue dresses and suits, she was a woman with little time for warmth. There was a clear intelligence shining behind her pale blue eyes, with the ego not so much resembling a swaggering dragon so much as a noble devil proffering a contract and waiting for human weakness to kick in.
"Oh."
"And it creates an opportunity for us. We have a majority now without the Alliance holding us back. They'd balk at this."
Mette Farrell, the Treasurer leaning casually on one of the walls, clicked her tongue. "We'd balk at this with Yarley still in charge."
"Yes. Which she isn't." Lindt glanced to her spin doctor, Claire Carden. "What do the polls say?"
Carden shrugged. "It's not a question we've asked. People have just been happy to wash their hands of the whole thing--"
"Well, start asking, okay? This week." Lindt shifted up in her seat with a grunt. "We're going to get ahead of this."
The Minister for Defence, Clara Stern, had been silent up to the point. Here, though, she raised an eyebrow. "Ahead of an issue started by some nobody from the Forwards? We let them set our agenda now?"
Farrell gave Lindt a Look over Stern's shoulder. Great. Here we go. "You never heard of the beating of a butterfly's wings, Clara?"
"... What?"
"They make shit happen. Tornados or whatever. Look, forget the fucking Forwards, okay, we can make this our agenda."
"But why?" Stern wheeled around to face Farrell. The rangy Treasurer had a couple inches on Stern, but was short maybe eighty pounds. "That war was prosecuted under bipartisan governments, we obeyed .... many of the rules of war, and we won. It's over."
"It remains our responsibility."
"Would you have said that yesterday?"
"That was yesterday. Nobody gave a shit yesterday," said Farrell, wearily. "This is politics. If you aren't ready to move fast, you're in the wrong career."
Stern bristled. "I've been in this career for--"
"Enough." Lindt clapped her hands, and grabbed the room's attention. "We're going ahead with this."
Stern gritted her teeth, wrestling whether to bring out the trump card, eventually giving in. "But think of Bastion, Bryony," she said, leaning down on her desk, fairly looming over the Margravine.
In response, Lindt gave Stern a look of rare contempt. "Do I look like I've got the time to be worried about what Ian bloody Smith thinks?"

NEPHARAN NATIONAL TEAM SELECTION - FORTNIGHT 1
Goalkeepers:
1 - Aranea Provost (Spartangrad, EUR), 12 - Raluca Garamond (Sabrefell Athletic), 20 - Fasolt Senninger (AFC Treason)
Defenders: 2 - Rovena Stride (AFC Treason), 3 - Vivica Muscadin (Sabrefell Moths), 5 - Reniira Clevinger (Sabrefell Athletic), 6 - Miska Brabanzon (Sabrefell Moths), 17 - Pristina Soeringer (Stein-los Turkish, PAS), 19 - Besart Sale (AFC Treason), 22 - Radeka Lind (Vermillion Rage)
Midfielders: 4 - Rook Timekeeper (Sabrefell Moths), 7 - Anselm Koerner (1830 Cathair, AUD), 8 - Lothaire Cromwell (AC Izotz Zubia, AUD), 11 - Kendra Constantine Ramsey (AFC Treason), 13 - Severine Reed (Raynor City United, VAL), 14 - Exene Fletcher (Hellinic Rouge, PAS), 15 - Rashica Horvath (La Nueva Avenida, FFD), 18 - Chantal Kalevi (Stein-los Turkish, PAS)
Forwards: 9 - Bastet North (Jungle Strike, VIL), 10 - Konrad Lovelace (Revolutionaries, EUR), 16 - Danica Marinkovic (Royal Rumiatzi, ASG), 21 - Latona Basilisk (Mâ Âlâmëómë, FFD), 23 - Traudl Mrdja (Vermillion Rage)

SCHEDULE
Nephara vs. Sarzonia (97) @ Farham Arena (Sabrefell)
Huayramarca (48) vs. Nephara
Nephara vs. Sonindia (322) @ Phoenix Rise (Corvistone)
Brookstation (247) vs. Nephara
Nephara vs. Central Shaneville (154) @ Eagle's Club (Brinemouth)
Squidroidia (76) vs. Nephara
Nephara vs. Quakmybush (109) @ The Gauntlet (Treason)
Nephara vs. Togonistan (UR) @ Ludd's Hammer (Stahlburg)
Hampton Island (37) vs. Nephara
Sarzonia (97) vs. Nephara
Nephara vs. Huayramarca (48) @ Eagle's Club (Brinemouth)
Sonindia (322) vs. Nephara
Nephara vs. Brookstation (247) @ The Iron Hill (Vermillion)
Central Shaneville (154) vs. Nephara
Nephara vs. Squidroidia (76) @ The Gauntlet (Treason)
Quakmybush (109) vs. Nephara
Togonistan (UR) vs. Nephara
Nephara vs. Hampton Island (37) @ Farham Arena (Sabrefell)
WCC Grand Slam champion.
Accidental Gridiron Championship Silver Belt holders for six cycles??

Masculine, Feminine and Mixed-Sex Name Generators

The 14 Stars
Envoy

Founded: Jul 15, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby The 14 Stars » Mon May 10, 2021 2:56 am

An occasion to never forget

As the invite had been sent out a bit ago a reply had been received in the hands of Richard Blackheart who informed the President of the football association about the upcoming formal occasion too.
The leader of the association was a former football legend Syon Zabel know as the best striker to have ever played on Starsian fields and also one of the first players to achieve special techniques.
As he gets informed of this a thin smile can be seen forming around his lips as he speaks.

''That is wonderful, this will go down to history as the first non-regulated match if i'm not mistaken but as we both know its a shame but needed that our football is regulated these days because of the past.''

Starsian football used to be non-regulated, but this all came to an end when Blizzard Academy got a new legendary star talent that won them multiple seasons and attracted alot of new fans around the entire nation.
Football became very important and football started to determine the worth of schools and even of individuals itself, people used to be entirely judged on their football abilities and people with poor skill often ended up homeless and without proper education.

This is when Federation Z was founded by Syon Zabel, and with its constitution stating in article 7 that all players and teams in football should be treated equally regardless of skill level or reputation.
This also meant that Federation Z determines when a team was allowed to win and if a team ended up on a winning streak they were often asked to lose a match on purpose to maintain equality for all teams and players.

Meanwhile in preparation

The team was informed of the upcoming event by their coach Marcus Blade, he had only heard it on short notice from Richard himself but nonetheless he also agreed on the idea of a formal party.
Marcus Blade quickly called the team together as he seemed quite happy with the event to just have a relaxed mood on the match.

Meanwhile Maxim Flare was still in bed as he was called he sighed as picked up the phone, it was an off day and he had no idea why the coach had been seeing a need to call players out of bed this early.

Flare: ''Coach Blade, you'd better have a good reason for calling me so early on my free day, its barely 8am you really don't ever have heard of the need for proper sleeping time did you?

Coach Blade: ''I do but this came also as a surprise to me, we'll be having a formal get-together with our first opponents in a few days so you'd better hurry a bit with getting everything sorted.
I don't want any excuses you all are coming to it aswell, its a sign of respect to our opponents and you as a key player of the team should understand the importance of this i think.

Flare: ''A formal party heh? sounds not bad but my wife isn't gonna like this old-timer you know how they are, but i'll be sure to get all necessary things sorted if you can make sure everyone's informed.
Our first non-regulated match will be one to remember with this, also coach we finished that new special combo move you asked of us, im not sure if it will work in a match but you'll easily break an arm with a shot like that on you.

Coach Blade: I'll be sure to inform everyone, and so you did finish that 3 player move the Phoenix? thats good news it will be a great show still sad that we are not allowed to use roulette park this time.
But yeah that would be very costly and i doubt anyone would like playing against us then hahaha, good luck old man!''

Flare: ''Same to you old timer, i may be old but i still make the most goals in the 2nd division hahaha!''

And so the preparations began and quickly arrived the day that the Eshians would come, they would likely arrive on Starlight Airport and it was very chilly in the country so they would need warm clothes.
It was 7 degrees celsius at the very highest, and a soft wind blew from the north making it exceptionally chilly for this time of the year however it did not rain and that was the most important part.

The party would be held in an exclusive local place nearby the hotel of the teams.

Sendhang
Envoy

Founded: Feb 14, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Sendhang » Mon May 10, 2021 3:25 am

I - II - III - IV - V - VI - VII

VIII
LIGA SUPER SENDHANG

Sendhang was again knocked out in the group stage for the second time in 2 months. They finished fourth in the 75th Baptism of Fire, 1 point short of qualifying to the knockout stage.

The national team players returned to Sendhang from Recuecn and went straight to their respective clubs to prepare for the inaugural season of Liga Super Sendhang that kicked off in less than a month after the group stage exit.

This includes Teuku Salahuddin who returned for his second season with the champion of Putrasia, KS Tapaklaboh.

Salahuddin was not happy with the early exit from the 75th Baptism of Fire. But the prospect of playing against the best players in the country week in week out excites Salahuddin. The introduction of the new league came at the perfect time for him, just as he turns 20 and ready to showcase his skill to the country.

For the first time ever, all the best clubs in the country were competing in the same league. And Salahuddin, like all the players in the country, was happy with the introduction of Liga Super Sendhang.

It was a new phase for football in the country. The professional era.

Before the introduction of Liga Super Sendhang, there was no national league. Each of the 4 states in Sendhang conducted their own football league separately.

Teuku Salahuddin played in the Divisi 1 Putrasia last season, previously the highest level of football in the state of Putrasia. He helped KS Tapaklaboh clinched the title and secured their place for the inaugural season of the Liga Super Sendhang.

He was signed last season as a future prospect but then made his way into the first team during the second half of the season. His rapid development and spectacular performance for the club also earned him a call-up into the first-ever squad for the national team.

He came into his second season as one of the first names in the starting eleven. It was not the same as the previous season where expectations on him were not that high.

The whole country knows his name by then. The media and pundits talked a lot about the kid. The coaches and defenders have studied his game. And Salahuddin realized all that.

He knew from a young age that if he wants to be the best, he has to work hard for it. He knew he needed to up his game because, in order to be the number 1 in the world, he must be the number 1 in Sendhang first. And at that time, the best striker in the country was Gusti Sing Nggawe, not Teuku Salahuddin.

Twicetagram and JYPe
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Twicetagram and JYPe » Mon May 10, 2021 4:05 am

Argavarin Alsotscesin
“Mirror, mirror on the wall, who’s the biggest traitor of them all?”

Only his face reflected on the mirror.

“Arrrgh!” screamed Argavarin as he plunged the knife into the mirror. He wished for himself to die, just as he had done to others, but silly him, reflections weren’t real. Nothing, not even suicide, would be able to rewind what he had just done.

“He deserved it, though. Broke the promise. The promise we made ‘sincerely’. He most definitely forgot about me though, what a fake friend,” his shoulder demon responded to his guilt.

“Doesn’t justify what I did,” Arga said bluntly.

“Come on, you’ve avenged your enemy’s betrayal. Don’t be a pussy.”

He didn’t answer.

Argavarin’s occasional bouts of conversing with himself didn’t worry him in the slightest. Not that he noticed or anything. He was too busy wallowing in his self-pity and hatred to care. Even the least moral person couldn’t defend his actions.

“The offer was too tempting to resist...” thought him. Yes, yes it was for a player of his caliber. Stuck with Novi Canterlot, not being able to progress to a higher level, not being able to reach his potential... Argavarin had so many grudges against the domestic league, which was why he celebrated when it was dissolved, albeit for shady reasons.

“No more people to make fun of me for playing with the minnows,” he posted on TwiiTur that day. He was sick of it. He was the shining stars of his team and the person to save them from relegation. Yet, he wasn’t considered worthy of a contract elsewhere. It was obvious when Augustin was shining that he was jealous.

“Opposing managers would talk shit at me for trying too hard; other players would belittle me for fighting against a card, and even my teammates would be ashamed of me sometimes. Does no one like me?” was a recurring speech Argavarin would say in press interviews. Unsurprisingly the public saw it as more of an attempt to earn pity from them. Obvious or not, Argavarin was disgruntled by the ‘cheeky banter’ from everyone, and less noticeably, Augustin’s success.

Argavarin’s displeasure was heightened when the news he dreaded arrived: Augustin was moving overseas, to play for a Québécois team. His jealousy was overshadowed by one thing: by moving overseas, Augustin had broken the agreement made all the way back in youth academy. However petty that was, that made Argavarin very angry.

“Hey, Arga. Arga...?” That was the last phone call they both had, right after the transfer was announced. Argavarin, still seething in anger, picked up the phone. He didn’t say anything, then he hung up. He just couldn’t forget Augustin’s cheery, happy-go-lucky voice at the start, as if he forgot something dire. Of course he forgot. Argavarin was a mere acquaintance.

Argavarin trundled along on the field, trying to net as many goals and assists as he could to convince top teams that he was the one. The only contract offer that came his way was a free transfer to a League One team. Did no one acknowledge his worth, or was he that bad?

Fast-forward a few years later. The FA is in shambles. Controlled by a corrupt and Twicist board, their decisions slowly ruin the Twicetagrien footballing scene. Stadiums demolished, no domestic league or cup, and a ban of jersey sales on holy days. Dystopia for Twicetagrien football fans. Argavarin was enjoying it, though. The sport that made him a laughing stock and shame on his family was being destroyed bit by bit. He liked it.

That was soon to change, though, when he got a call from the FA.

“What do their fat asses want?” grumbled Argavarin as he picked the phone up. One shady phone call later, Argavarin was smiling in glee. This was his chance to earn back what he lost, and undeservingly at that. If he leaked Augustin’s whereabouts to the FA, they would hunt Augustin down and ‘punish him for deserting the nation’. In turn, Argavarin gets a decent amount of cash, and a spot in the NT, too! Argavarin was loving the beautiful game albeit for all the wrong reasons.

Argavarin did as he was told, being the loyal, greedy, person he was. Soon, he received 150,000¥ and a contract to the national team for the next two cycles. Argavarin was delighted. The news of Augustin’s death would shock the Twicetagrien world, but no one would suspect Argavarin a slightest bit.

Argavarin was brought back to reality by a sudden thought: he did all of this just to avenge a friend for breaking a petty promise. Was this the person he really wanted to be? He was supposed to aim for stardom, not corruption.

Argavarin looked at the broken mirror.

“I need to ask you this: who, and what are you?”
johnathan

Chartistan
Envoy

Founded: Oct 03, 2020

Postby Chartistan » Mon May 10, 2021 5:42 am

What does one know about rolling down in the deep?

The mental freeze of the Chartistan national team since their journey through the Cup of Harmony (Which felt like forever ago) has left the Chartistanis finding a whole new rhythm, sunken in like an astronaut in the ocean as they get ready for their qualifier opener - A home clash at Old Town Park against the mighty Juvencus. With the start of another World Cup qualifying cycle days away Doctor Lucas has his squad set, and leaving the Chartistani NT joke that is 3rd choice goalie Cheesus Cheesus to the side (Seriously, Chessus got 2 freaking caps for Chartistan during the Baptism of Fire), this version of the national team has a lot of stories to tell.

Saving Tears for Captaincy

As the only Chartistani player playing outside of Chartistan (In the ever-competitive Græntfjall Premier League no less), Air Latte's side-to-side manuvering of top flight football in a league with not 1 but 2 IFCF Champions League spots with a gunning bottom-half team has earned the praise of Doctor Lucas on multiple occasions. A fixture of the Chartistan NT, Latte's position switching (Shadow striker for the Wonder Cup and Baptism of Fire, right midfielder for World Cup 87 qualifiers, one of 2 shadows for the switch-up on the Cup of Harmony 79 roster) has now led her to the spot she so rightly deserved - The main striker position, and most of all, captaining her country.

She could have found herself lower on the roster, however, if Lucas Combbrush chose part-time commentator and decent footballer Adam Weekday instead of Latte for the captaincy. Adam's tear-saving, light-blinding, heartless form has been captured in the eyes of the Chartistanis watching the Hot League, and with competition between him and Latte high, Combbrush had to make a hard choice on deciding the captain for this World Cup campaign. In Adam's point of view, it was heartbreak, but we all love to see Latte's point of view more than him, as she snatched the captain's armband and will wear it with pride against Juvencus to kick off the campaign.

If Eve Ain't In your Stadium, You Know that you Can...

Little Exnash is back on form. It is nothing like his "Can't nobody tell you nothing", tractor-riding Old Town form, but this form, called "Montero", has been drawing eyes back to the legendary footballer for better or for worse. The Montero form has been described by some critics as "morally wrong" and even "heinous", as every goal under this form has been met with booing and shouting from the "morally right" Chartistanis. Combbrush, however, has only seen a fantastic footballer, and will line up right behind Latte in the Hot 11 as the shadow striker.

It wasn't entirely for certain that he would be back in this role. Just last cycle in the World Cup he was reduced to playing as a defender or a midfielder as his form was sent on holiday, a fate as bad as Mike Johnson when he was turned into a hologram and still played football while he was technically dead (No joke, look it up, it actually happened in the Hot League). If it wasn't for the Montero form, where everybody was now calling him by their names, he would have not made the Hot 11 and his spot would have been taken by someone else.

You said forever...

Olisa Rodgers has been one of the underdog stories of Chartistani football. Yes, she did not start off well replacing an injured Mama Coriel (Who was captain at the time), but the experience of being a nobody being thrust onto football's biggest stage has helped her out in the end - She would wear the captain's armband again for Cup of Harmony 79, and although she won't wear it again during the qualifiers, Olisa is still in the roster at right midfield, and will likely contribute to goals this cycle, unlike her World Cup 87 stint.

So There We Go

Adult Royce, once starting off as a goalkeeper for the Chartistani NT in their first appearance in international football during the Wonder Cup, has called his former job between the sticks as Chartistan won the Dusk Bracket in Qasden as a joke, vowing that he was "so done" with it and was ready to move on. Move on he has, and Royce is lining up next to Tatertot Crazy in the middle of the park for the national team. While Tatertot's role in future NTs is at risk (Although her form hasn't been dropping as hard as some others), Royce has some potential under his feet, as he has worked with Michael Christian (Of 7NT Inter-City and former NT fame) prior to training with Combbrush. The once internally-bleeding goalie left without a way out of his goalkeeper position could very well be thriving.

Oh yeah, and Donald Daniel Gomez is stuck on the AJR.

Tequilo
Envoy

Founded: Dec 04, 2018

WC-88q RP#1 MD1

Postby Tequilo » Mon May 10, 2021 5:52 am

DISLOCATED METATEXTUAL
The Many Ways Mâärtén Âllámbâlár Can Count His Lucky Wights (Part I)

“I’m not sure I understand,” said a short-tempered Mâärtén Âllámbâlár to me, whilst waiting for the consultant to bring him news of his foot injury after being stamped on in an early season intercontinental club match, “you’re covering the Tequilo World Cup campaign and you want to write about me? An injured striker from Farfadillis - where, by the way, they haven’t hardly heard about me… like, at all?”

He had a point, of course, but what he didn’t know was just how many ways he was going to be able to count his lucky wights, as they say in Tequilo, when a series of unfortunate events would overtake him and the world, about three matchdays into the World Cup qualification cycle. Right now, all he could see was a great big bruise on the top of his foot, though without notable swelling. This, the consultant had told him, was not necessarily a good thing.

In Tequilo, Mâärtén was a big star, a huge entertainer at his club Florentino, where he linked up with a couple of other fine multiversals, the Audioslav striker Venâncio Paiva and Apoxi midfielder Les Jawallawalla, in a team well admired for it’s glamour and quality. Mâärtén had just come off a great season, finishing as top scorer in Liga-TQ and winning the highly-prized Ooóoos Skueri Cosmo Award for best foreign player in the country. He was a fans favourite and had been, until recently, the most expensive player in the league, transferring from CF Frantxizko-A to Florentino last season for an extraordinary ₸4.5m (chèlinpesos). But Florentino had something of a psychological problem with intercontinental football and usually played appallingly; despite qualifying for three consecutive IFCF tournaments, they had yet to win a game. They were hoping to do better with the additions of Mâärtén and Les to the team, but in their first preliminary round tie last week at home to Sarian side Zilverstraat SC, they had been held to a draw, conceded a vital away goal, and lost Mâärtén to what looked like a serious injury. The new domestic season hadn’t even begun, they were already out of the FFI League of Victors, and now were favourites to go out of the IFCF Challengers Cup with a difficult away tie to come, and Mâärtén unlikely to be playing. It would be another whimper for Florentino in world club football, but for Mâärtén, it looked like it could be a whole lot worse.

“Let’s cut to the chase,” said the consultant, sashaying demonstratively into the room and pinning an x-ray of Mâärtén’s damaged foot up on the lightbox, “you’ll be out for three months minimum. This could be a season-long injury, I’m afraid. I can see we might have to operate. You have a dislocated metatextual.”

Mâärtén was visibly gutted, and a bit confused. “I’ve never heard of an injury like that,” he stuttered.

“Let’s just say you’re going to have to sit on the sidelines and watch the story unfold around you,” said the consultant, helpfully.

LETTERS OF THE WEEK
When it needs saying and you're not afraid to say it...

Good morning everyone. We have letters!

It's the World Cup! Regular correspondent Rùben Curto of Chanco Cóndor wants to remind us all to keep our feet on the ground and our mouths firmly shut when it comes to our hopes for the upcoming campaign: "I just want to remind everyone just how bad the last World Cup campaign was for Los Pitxileros, and while we have shown incredible promise under coach Botín, we must not rest on our laurels. We still have it all to do, to coin a cliché straight from the Daily's clichébook."

You could be right, Rùben. We have a letter from 'King WahWah of Ohm', who says: "I hope you get stuffed." The handwriting looks suspiciously like all those letters of complaint we used to get from 'Tommy-Delight', a foreigner who didn't like it when we won the IAC, suggesting we were too big for our boots, and hated it when we won the Eagles Cup so much that they took out an injunction on the Daily sports desk to stop us writing a single word about winning anything, ever. I can't see that being a resounding success, and the Daily legal team generally concur.

Meanwhile regular trouble-spotter Norm. de Plume, of Plume, Antivador sees trouble ahead: "I see trouble ahead for Los Pitxileros."

Finally, regular provocateur ‘Orejas Grandes’ leaves us with a provocation: "What if you tried a 'No Football World Cup' where the results were just announced, but nobody bothered to play. Would it be a resounding success or an inevitable non-starter? Personally I think it might suit a lot of really lackadaisical footballers like Laźeo Malingeras, the bone-idle striker at Real Titánico. Is it even football if you don't play the game but just pretend it happened? Is this another indicative marker of the general malaise in a results-driven society that simply can't be bothered to put the work in? Is a 'No Football World Cup' just another symptom of the Age of Entitlement?"

Well 'O.G.' I'm sure someone will write in to let us know, but in our humble opinion on the sports desk, if a team scores a goal in an empty stadium, and there are no fans around to witness it, then clearly, it is not a goal. A 'No Football World Cup' cannot exist. It's not even a proper paradox.
::: FORGOTTEN BUT NOT GONE :::
BECAUSE BECAUSE BECAUSE

Wight
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 14, 2011
New York Times Democracy

WWC-88q RP#1 MD1

Postby Wight » Mon May 10, 2021 5:53 am

What goes around, goes around. So they used to say in Wight, cleverly anticipating global pandemics and the invention of the fairground waltzer. And thus on such temporal parabolas comes again another World Cup, and it was usual at this time back in the day that the great predictionarian and diagrammatician Michel de Nostredame would come to the court of Búa King of Uncertain Dimensions with his diagrammatic predictions of how things would go in the campaign to qualify for the Cup of Harmony (once, the campaign was such a spectacular failure that Wight ended up in the World Cup finals instead, and won). But now, there is no Wight to speak of. Búa was annihilated in the Quantum Spaghetti Incident by that old devil The Basileus; and the country of Wight which existed in Ao was expelled for causing a zombie apocalypse, or at least for not helping to stop one, because as the Falcanians were apt to cite, ‘if you are not part of the solution, you are part of the cohort standing blindfolded against the wall who we are going to shoot now’. So Wight the country was no more. And Búa was no more, nor were his carnival troop of the uncanny, nor that other country of his that was a great big sentient bubble universe - which was burst in the ructions of eschatological rending. Boom! Or more accurately, ‘pfff!’, if I recall correctly.

But yet, hear me - yea, hear me now! For a little bit of Wight has come back!

Let’s not get too excited though. It’s just a little serviced rent-a-noffice in a scruffy block on the edge of Quetzaldad, in Tapalupé - capital city of Tequilo. They are paying by the month and could be gone by the end of next week. They have three desks, some chairs, a couple of desk lamps, a rented Apple Lisa 2 Compact, a steam-powered printer and a fax machine. There are a couple of administrative types and an IT Self-Builder who is hoping to connect the Lisa to an artificial intelligence he met at an internet cafe; two Bonesea Revivalists who believe in the Third Coming of The King and are glueing their ‘The End Is Nigh Again’ posters to plyboard plaques; and Duke Aim, a cunning and blustering mustachioed devil who claims to have survived the Day of Judgement and reviewed it as a slightly disappointing three out of five-star cataclysm on Trustpilot. The IT Self-Builder flips a switch on the wall plug, the Lisa pops and sends a small puff of black smoke up into the air and the fax machine simultaneously spews out a paper message, quite unexpectedly.

“Well something works at least,” says Charlie Babbage, the Self-Builder, unimpressed with his temperamental Lisa-2.

“It’s a message from the dead!” says one of the Revivalists, rather dramatically.

“Pah!” says Duke Aim, snatching the fax. It is a diagram, and it’s credited to Nostrodamus.

“Who the devil sent this…” says the Duke, but he doesn’t finish. There is a confident knock on the office door, and without waiting for a cue, in walk two resplendent gentlemen of superior sartorial elegance - and they’ve got even better mustachios than the Duke.

“My Dogs!” says Duke Aim, even more taken aback, “you’re alive!”

Of course, you have probably already recognised the Narrative Agents, Messrs. Couth & Ruly. They exchange pleasant greetings with their fellow countryman and old friend the Duke, whom they haven’t seen in an age. Like, an actual age. Maybe seven eighths of an epoch, or about a third of a period. Something like that. They all thought the other had bought it in the Apocalypse, and yet, here they all are now, in a scruffy rented office at the arse-end of the multiverse. It’s a happy reunion.

“Look here,” says Mister Couth - or is it Mister Ruly? - “We’d love to chew the cud with you all day long old chap, but we must get on to some business. We’ve got the Agents of Smack waiting outside.”

“Smack?” wonders the Duke.

“Multiversal realtors. Seems they heard you were about somewhere, looking for a nice place to launch a new Project Wight. They’re from Ao - ”

“WHAAAAAT?!” yells the Duke, incredulous.

“Hear them out, old bean,” sooths Mister Ruly - or is it Mister Couth? - “I think they know where we stand on Ao and the whole Rejected Realms fiasco, the apocalypse and all that. They’ve got a better portfolio than you might imagine. Pungent, I should say. Extremely pungent.”

“Well then,” says the Duke, somewhat mollified but not altogether lacking suspicion, “you’d better show them in.”
::: WIGHT :::
BECAUSE REASONS

Electrum
Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 20, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Electrum » Mon May 10, 2021 6:44 am

This is just satirical.

The Turnip: The Preview Of The Century
by Harold Banana and Andrew Lee, citizen journalists

It was a bright cold day in May, and the clocks were striking thirteen. In a ceremonial chamber in some unknown location, possibly in Cassadaigua, maybe in Chromatika, representatives of the two host nations took turns putting their hands into chamber pots, pulling out nation names one by one, until the great god Margaret was satisfied. Electrum (ranked 47 in the world, if you believe the New World Order) had been drawn into Group 4, otherwise known as "The Group of Death" or "Groupe de morty" in Recuecnian (you must be truly refined and have high IQ to speak that language) or even "Groep van Electrum" in Farf-utch, one of the official nine languages in the farf-etched place called Farfadillis. But why all the misery and suffering? Does everyone believe that every interaction with us results in misery and death? Find out below, in this awesome preview of the century where we predict how we will go in this qualifying round.

Abanhfleft (65)
The country of Abanhfleft we know very well from their prowess in basketball and rugby will pose a significant challenge to Electrum. Just remember - this is a nation that is so devious that they have intentionally misspelled their true nation name, Abahnfleft, on all its forms and all of its competitions in the sporting arena, just to deceive our players with their spelling trickery. This is so reminiscent of when people misspell the popular baguette "bahn mi" as "banh mi". It's this kind of gaslighting that will make it hard for the Electrumites to overcome, especially given the fact that Seb tends to explode whenever he gets too close to an ignition source. We expect two losses to Abanhfleft.

The Grearish Union (153)
Ahh, the good ol' United States of Grearia. The good thing about this team is that the country, at least partially, lies on top of the remnants of San Jose Guayabal, a place that used to be pretty OK at football. Like they were good enough at football that when the Guayabalense team walked down the street, people knew who they were, but didn't mob them. That's how OK the Guayabalense are, and it's the same for the Grearish, all these years later. The one bad thing that goes against the team is that they have exactly one replacement for each position. It would be a shame if... we accidentally temporarily permanently took out the same position player in the same match... nah. Probably won't happen. They have a device called the "Ignore Cannon" that allows them to ignore any permanent injuries we inflict on them. Because of their access to this superior technology, we expect two losses to the United States of Grearia.

Deniria (355)
The one thing that Electrumites think when they hear "Deniria" is "huh?" They are the great unknown, and even though they played in Electrum during the Baptism of Fire, not a single soul saw their match. The stands were eerily quiet, and even the stans were quiet too. Because of this, no one in Electrum actually knows what kind of games the Denirians will play, which will prove troublesome for the Electrumites. Two losses, of course.

Valanora (2)
Valanora are the smallest minnow in the group. We mean, they have a 2 next to their name. Compared to the big numbers like Deniria's 355, this team just isn't worth talking about. Valanora are the reason why this group is called "The Group of Death" instead of "The Group of Cruel And Unusual Punishment" (which is a fate surely worse than death). In fact, because the Vanoran team plays their matches in a place called "Elves Security Forces", they aren't expected to be a huge threat. After all, the Elves Security Forces are a military force whose sole objective is to protect and defend all balls, including football balls, from injury. Any time the Vanorian team kick the ball, the entire crowd will swarm in, trying to protect it. Consequently, the World Cup Committee will award us a 3-0 victory. That is ordained. We expect two wins here.

Mytanija (106)
Mytanija have gone out swinging and insulting our honour by allocating us the smallest arena out of all the nations playing in Mytanija. Clearly, they believe we are the biggest minnows of the group, and they have shown us who is the dominant one, and who is not the dominant one. And not to mention our delicate little sensitivities won't ever hold up to the who's who of hooligans in Whocaresville, Mytanija. We drop our monocles and crumpets every time a flare gets lit, let alone facing the multitude of ultras in Mytanija. How can our players even see if their monocles keep falling off? Two losses, due to our sensitive temperament, nothing more to say really.

Geektopia (22)
Geektopia are little gnats that will be squashed under the heel of all the turnips. What's geekier than a nation naming itself after an alloy? A nation naming itself Geektopia. Here, they all love drinking their energy drinks without doing much exercise. In particular, the nation's favourite drink is Cocoa-bo, which is their favourite brown goop soup. Of course, because they're geeks, they will unnecessarily bog our team down (and each other) with arguments such as how Cocoa-bo is technically a soup, or that Farfadillis is technically a country. Inevitably, while they're all arguing amongst themselves, we will cruise to victory with two wins to our name.

Atheara (195)
Atheara performed disturbingly well in their last appearance in Electrum, which was also at the Baptism of Fire. Unlike Deniria, whose matches were not so well attended, everyone in Electrum knows Atheara. From their third ever woman cabinet minister to the fact that 0.4% of their exports consist of partially hydrogenated ugg boots, Electrumites know everything there is to know about this nation. We put Atheara on a pedestal, we just love Atheara. And we couldn't even fathom the possibility of us defeating Atheara to such the extent that we're just going to forfeit both of our games against them. After all, as the old adage goes, "You Miss 100% Of The Shots You Don't Take." Two losses.

Eastfield Lodge (111)
Eastfield Lodge are the perennial overperformers who are expected to use their significant luck (acquired when they got the auspicious ranking of 111) in order to defeat Electrum. From tornados that are entirely localised within Lodger City Memorial Stadium to aliens abducting team captain Moore to teach them how to play basketball, Eastfield Lodge will have luck on their side. Two losses.

Adab (UR)
Finally, a singular dance move. God help us all. Youth culture is getting too far, with just a single, symbolic dance move called the "dab" facing Electrum. Umpires will be mesmerised as their athletes will perform a single dab at the very beginning of the match, in the show of strength. They will keep the dab position at all times -- even if it means damaging the eyes of their competitors by striking them at such high velocity while maintaining the dance move. It's positively lethal, and the Electrumites will have no choice but to pass and dribble the ball by crouching like little babies. The Turnip predicts two losses to Adab.

And there you have it, it's going to be a bleak outlook for Electrum. Any overperformance from this predictions will surely mean that the World Cup is rigged against The Turnip.
Last edited by Electrum on Mon May 10, 2021 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NationStates Tennis Tour President - NSTT rankings and season nine schedule

Issues Editor - List of issue ideas - Got Issues discord

Queenisa
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 21, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Queenisa » Mon May 10, 2021 9:16 am

WarmWogering In Sports Hits The Headlines

Unfortunately, while Queenisa was doing some practice with some other sports nation, warmwogering among the players - the ultimate desire to harm the other nation’s team and cause an war while their main goal was to have fun and play. While this stressed many diplomatic viewers and officers from both sides, let’s do a deep dive in what really happened.
In relation to the World Cup, Queenisa naturally had an aggressive nature that started with an man who discovered aggression and it’s benefits to a fully fledged modern sports warmwogering war. Specifically, the players were not punished because they immediate stoped.
Queenisa, The Ultimate Queen Nation.

Zeta Reka and Hugeltaldom
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 19, 2019

Postby Zeta Reka and Hugeltaldom » Mon May 10, 2021 9:27 am

Ljubica’s lips motioned for “one” before she pointed to Djoko. “Thank you, TV-4 studios, I am here on the outskirts of the ever beautiful city of Ribar. A land of wine and fish. With me is neither of those, but a very strong footballer instead. Thank you so much for being here, Bogdan Rawić. Have you enjoy returning to Zeta Reka, Mr. Rawić?” Bogdan looked over with a smile “Yes, thank you for having me here, Djoko.” Djoko moved his hands up, “it is my pleasure, as always, to welcome you here to the wonderful Klink Lodge next to the scenic Lake Norlyr… I am sure they will use the stationary camera when I say that, yes Ljubica?” Djoko’s producer bobbed her head up and down looking at the camera men. “Alright!” Djoko said with some energy, “These old bones hate to stand and have to sit, let’s run these questions out of town.” Djoko looked over his notes and put thumb on his chin. Djoko then adjusted his spectacles before putting down his paper.

“Bogdan,” the old man said, “You’ve been playing at a high level since you were a teenager, though your footballing origins are humble. You started playing at Potokstrom FK when you were fourteen. That was a club that at its zenith was the top one hundred twenty clubs in the country…” Djoko saw Bogdan pointing his finger, “Oh?” Djoko said, “The club was actually the seventy fourth best club in Zeta Reka that season, my dad used to says there were fourty clubs better from Hugeltaldom. I liked to point out forty four can also round up to forty five.” Both men laughed, “Oh of course, and your father played there as well in his later career, tough we will get to that later on. For now, Bogdan, tell us a bit about your early career and how it progressed.” Bogdan nodded “Yes. I was fourteen when I got a small wage at Potokstrom. I scored ten goals at fifteen, the second highest in the league at the point in the season. My uncle, who is my agent, told me Aleiusia Capital had offered me a youth contract. I could not pass up my father’s favorite club. He would have been the happiest man in the world to see us win the title again.” Bogdan froze for a moment, calm, but not happy by the looks of things. “Your father as you’ve said in past interviews was looking forward to playing for that club, but it was you who brought the family name into prominence. Now you’re playing in Savojarna in the city of Jarnstad. You’ve won a title there, trophies here, youth league youth cups… I would say you have risen upwards though the ranks quite a bit.” Bogdan nodded with his lips shut tightly, “For sure,” Bogdan said “I’ve been blessed to have the opportunities I have had. I’ll always be thankful for that.” Djoko looked over his producer and director, who gave a hand gesture of with their ring finger that exuded positivity in Rekan culture. Djoko looked back at Bogdan, “Anything else you want to mention from your early years?”

“Yeah, let’s see…” Bogdan said before leaning forward, “I grew up in the village of Zelena. We lived in the Potokstrom Okrug. I know there are other Zelenas in Zeta Reka. In Potokstrom there are a few villages cluttered across forests and the boundary line is the new Capital District’s exterior, then a part of Ogroven. Mom and dad thought they’d soon by done with kids. Mother wanted another and that’s why I named ‘god given.’ When I was a little boy I used to kick my ball in the trees by mistake, and I would cry. My father would climb up and get my ball for me.” Djoko continued to write, nodding for Bogdan to continue his monologue. “Uh,” Bogdan said, “How about more about my family?” Djoko nodded, “that would suffice.” Bogdan pondered for a moment, “Well…” Bogdan was then quiet before a finger lurched up, “Father relocated to Zelena after he’d found work at the Okrug’s foundry. He used to work labor jobs after his career with Public Safety Commission ended. In Zelena my mother, Dara, and father first met. Marrying the boss’ daughter was a difficult task, but Father never quit anything if he could help it. Had he given up in life, he wouldn’t have played football, and my siblings wouldn’t have grown up watching him play in Potokstrom. Of course, the older boys didn’t want to play, we are all so small.” Djoko nodded, “So your father was a smaller man?” Bogdan replied swiftly, “Oh yes, we all were. He did once see you tower over him in a Worker’s Cup match. I don’t think you’d remember.” Djoko pondered for a moment before he spoke “There were a lot of men on that side who were a bit small, but I do remember the locker room was passionate to play in the round of sixteen—” “Yes,” Bogdan interrupted, “Yes, if you were there he would have been among the other guys. It was a big honor for all of them to play an army team. Dad would tell me of that game before bed. Even with that club’s change, my mother always wanted to come back to the stadium when I’d play against AK Stanimir.”

“You grew up in the villages, like a lot of people in Zeta Reka. Tell people who are unfamiliar what it was like for a younger Bogdan.” Dojko wad his hands to cue Bogdan into action. “Well, things for me are a bit unique in terms of outcome however a lot of my living was normal Village living. The village had changed. My family had firmly planted its roots there when I was born. My father had transitioned into being the chairman of the athletic club. We had a small department for villages most popular sport, the ‘letter ball game.’ Of course, we only played that game in Zeta Reka I also played that before I started football, rolled my ankle when I was eleven in the Okrug championship. My older brothers were not in Zelena for most of my youth, they’d gotten work at a foundry outside of Potokstrom. When socialism ended a private firm representing from the capital district bought up the metalworking trade inside and outside of the district. With the shift Potokstrom hasn’t been the same. One of the villages in the extreme north of the Okrug had a few years with a man to manage the general store, so supplier sold their milk and bread from their truck. This is all why I created the Rawić Foundation, we made a commitment to help places like Potokstrom, and every other small village and okrug in the nation. We have had a great response from the people of the world.” Djoko continued to have his fingers pressed together, “It’s an inspiring story, Bogdan” he said before looking into the notes one more time. “Something more sporting?” he asked Bogdan, who shrugged, “alright,” he said with distracted eyes looking out to the lake, “hit me.”

Djoko rubbed his hands before speaking “Now, you’re playing around the world for club and country. You have your team playing in IFCF Champion’s League and of course the national team’s campaign is just about to start. I looked into your expected goals percentage, your xg, with the national team…” Djoko licked his lips. “Sorry,” he said “let’s try again.” Djoko laughed before phrasing his question again. “I dug into your stats” he said, “your expected number of goals per game with the national team is around four out of ten. Your current average is just under two in every three games. This is a strong improvement and a sign your finish is of a higher caliber that analysts expect.” Bogdan replied with a simple “yeah” before expanding on the question that more resembled brown nosing, and also wasn’t even a question. “My xG?” he asked, “Well, I think the stat shows how good you are compared to others, like a knowledge test. I’m proud that my xg on the national team is higher than where you’d expect it.” the young player spoke with humble confidence, Dojko smiled “Of course,” he said before continuing, “Hopefully by the time this tournament you will have a few more.” Djoko spoke quicker after this as he looked over to Ljubica. “Sharktail is the first opponent on the draw and winning early is always a big deal. Will you be there at the National sports Complex?” Djoko asked his question with a grin forming so tightly he could feel it. “Yeah” Bogdan said. Djoko chuckled, “You exude such confidence. Your father would be proud of you, Bogdan. Thank you for coming here.” Djoko stood up after showing thanks, as Bogdan rose at the same moment. The pair shook hands and Bogdan gave a courteous, “thank you.”

“Cut!” Ljubica shouted. “Great work, my boy.” Djoko said as the pair’s hands separated, “We have to promote your charity, that was your uncle’s order. Even so, I think a lot of that will make air.” Bogdan gave a thumbs up and headed for the door. “One moment,” Djoko said, “The crew will be having dinner from this hotel’s catering service, a few of the boys were hoping you’d come” Bogdan shrugged “That’d be great, but I have plans already.” Djoko had sat down already and looked up at Bogdan, “Tina?” he chuckled “Enjoy your time, young man.” The two men nodded, as Bogdan left the room Djoko reclined before Ljubica shouted “Next!”

Garbelia
Envoy

Founded: Sep 27, 2020
Democratic Socialists

Postby Garbelia » Mon May 10, 2021 9:52 am

Thinking outside the box
The Tactical Diary of Lutri Ottodottir

May 10th
One day to go. I have been working on many ideas these past days: tactics, corners and new ideas. Today I will write about corner taking. There are plenty of excellent corner takers in the team, so we will be looking to 'put it in the mixer' against teams weak in the air, but I have devised a strategy to counter teams stronger in that respect.
Our strikers will crowd the box, with Vydra, Ottoman and Goodotter all looking to draw in markers. Huron will start by the touchline, hoping to evade marking, with Findus on the front post and Kawauso short.
Otter will roll it to Findus, who will turn and play it along the ground to Kawauso. All this time, Huron has been running in from the opposite side of the pitch, and should now be hovering, nearly unmarked, at the back post. Kawauso will either chip the ball to the back post for Huron to head in, or roll it to Ottoman, who can play it back to Goodotter for a long shot. This setup leaves us with plenty of attacking options and fairly simple passes to minimise risk, while approaching the goal, and two possible outcomes to the move. We could also attempt to skip out the pass to Findus, speeding up the attack and possibly surprising the opposition.

I will be drilling the players on this routine today, and I hope that this unusual short corner sequence will buy us a goal or two. After our first match, I will be looking to adjust our formation and structure, with several possible new ideas considered.

Up the Otters!

Basic diagram of the routine:

Lineup for the next match:

TJUN-ia
Minister

Founded: Oct 04, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Boot It!: Will Group 13 Be Lucky For Us?

Postby TJUN-ia » Mon May 10, 2021 11:53 am

Once again, the horns of football war are sounding across the International Community. The FA-TJUN-ia has prepared its team once again for battle in one of the most unforgiving tournaments of them all as the 88th World Cup begins its Qualification process for the tournament in Chromatika and Cassadaigua. The new Co-Manager regime is certainly ready for its greatest test so far, but who will be the opposition for the 5th WC with TJUN-ian involvement?

Banija (6)
Let's begin with a team that requires no introductions what so ever. The Kadongo Kamu of Banija are the #6 team in all of football, a stat helped by their long-awaited triumph at WC86, and will certainly be a tough test to play no matter the form they may be in. They reached the Quarters of the most recent AOCAF and play a slightly more attacking style of play to us that has struck fear into many opponents in the past. After a win and a loss against Banija's good friends in the Busoga Islands, getting anything from this team would be nothing short of a miracle.

Astograth (24)
The theme of this group is old acquaintances and we meet our first one in Pot 2. Il Olibondeka of Astograth were in our group during that terrible WC85, with both matches against them ending up in 0-0 draws. A lot has changed since that time of course, with TJUN-ia now Top 50 and Astograth now in the Top 25 as they try to return to the highs they had in the 60s era of this tournament. They play a familiar defensive style which took them to the knockouts of the most recent Copa Rushmori and everyone will be very interested to see what 6 years of change does to a fixture like this.

Oberour Ar Moro (82)
Just behind us in Pot 4 is Oberour Ar Moro, a nation with a unique name that hasn't competed at the Cope Rushmori for a long time. They have certainly been around the place a few times and many in TJUN-ia have heard of the name, it's just we don't really know much about them to gauge a proper opinion on our chances. They apparently play one of the most attacking playstyles there is, so that will certainly be a factor in our meetings this time around.

Euran Oceania Territories (86)
Four places down in Pot 5 and we find our 2nd old acquaintance in the Euran Oceania Territories, or EOT for short. The Expats are another team from that WC85 campaign, back when the EOT were about where they are now, and we managed to take 4 points off of them during that terrible time. But the main attraction of playing the EOT back then was one man and one man only: manager Skorji Oslograd, one of the most chaotic souls within the game and a person where anything went - as shown when he entered the National Stadium on horseback. When the Expats return to TJUN-ia City, however, Skorji will not be there as he was surprisingly sniped up by Eura itself after they failed to qualify for WC87. Wolcjeck Gruber of Austroslovakia is the man tasked with being the replacement to "Skorjiball", but only 2 points at the AOCAF means that our fixtures with this familiar foe might be even more interesting than before.

Bongo Johnson (139)
Up next is the Incorporated States of Bongo Johnson, a nation with one the best names we have ever seen in this universe. Bongo Johnson are one of those teams that only take part in World Cups now, last competing in the CE just before we made our debuts at the 71st Baptism of Fire. Still, ISBJ is ranked 139th for a reason and with a similar playstyle to us, these matches will certainly be a battle of equals on the pitch.

Ibixa (173)
Next up is Ibixa, a Catalan Protectorate of Krytenia who actually got a win in their AOCAF campaign, unlike the EOT. Ibixa plays a similar style to us, with emphasis on attacking, so it will be interesting to see how things go in these fixtures.

Srednjaci (253)
Ah yes, we all know these guys. Our first team from the 75th Baptism of Fire is Srednjaci, a nation we've faced before in both basketball and the NSTT. The main reason football fans might've heard of this team comes from last year's IAC12, where we faced the Ice Bears in Kuritibah and beat them 4-1 on route to our 2nd Quarters appearance in that competition. Since then, the Ice Bears made the knockouts of the BoF but fell to Galeanna at the first hurdle. This team plays a neutral game plan, as previously seen, and it will be very interesting to see how far they have come from a few months ago.

Shreekaristan (354)
No, this isn't BoF74 champions Treekidistan, but rather Shreekaristan, the 354th ranked team in the world. The Empire scored only a single point during the BoF, but they didn't send a team sheet for that tournament. They did, however, send a basic teamsheet for the 3rd All India Football Cup - the regional competition in India - in which they certainly did better, finishing 3rd and only 2 points back on qualification. The footballing power of the region of India is hard to determine, but with nations like Trolleborg and Indusse calling it home, Shreekaristan will certainly be hoping to follow in their footsteps in the future.

Malandrin (UR)
And finally, we have the traditional wildcard in the unranked team - a team that hasn't played before but could come from nowhere due to their underdog status. The UR this time around is in the form of Malandrin, pioneers of the slightly unknown Blue Sky Football League and definitely newbies to the world of international sport. They did provide a team sheet, where they state they play a defensive game, but other than that, we don't know much about these guys. Will they be just another pushover or will they be the story of the group? Only time will tell for this tournament's UR...

SCHEDULE (Group 13)
MD1: vs Malandrin (UR) - National Stadium, TJUN-ia City
----------------------BOOT IT!----------------------
MD2: vs Euran Oceania Territories (86) - National Stadium, TJUN-ia City
MD3: @Shreekaristan (354)
MD4: vs Srednjaci (253) - Beregozera Stadium, Szensky
MD5: @Bongo Johnson (139) - Murbley Coliseum, Bongo Johnson?
MD6: vs Banija (6) - Beregozera Stadium, Szensky
MD7: @Ibixa (173)
MD8: vs Astograth (24) - Tiankong Stadium, Tiankong
MD9: @Oberour Ar Moro (82) - Parade Grounds, Regium
MD10: @Malandrin (UR)
MD11: @Euran Oceania Territories (86) - Flynn Arena, Fligsive
MD12: vs Shreekaristan (354) - Tiankong Stadium, Tiankong
MD13: @Srednjaci (253) - Blue Oyster National Stadium, Katanija
MD14: vs Bongo Johnson (139) - Tiankong Stadium, Tiankong
MD15: @Banija (6) - Mavuto Field, Hoima
MD16: vs Ibixa (173) - Beregozera Stadium, Szensky
MD17: @Astograth (24)
MD18: vs Oberour Ar Moro (82) - National Stadium, TJUN-ia City
Last edited by TJUN-ia on Mon May 10, 2021 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
1st: ECC4/5, NSSCRA13, RLWC22, IBS20, EBT3, EIHT2
2nd: NSCF24/26, ARWC4, WC:TOTS, IBC34, IBS17, RUWC33/35, ECC6
3rd: ARWC3, IBC32, ECC3/7, ARWC6, ET20IV
NSSCRA - JR
T1: #07 Michael Stefan (S13 T1 Champ/9W)/#64 Alfonso Mercado (3W)/#03 Maddison Riley-Jones (S10 T2 Champ/2W-T1/3W-T2)
T2: #96 Alice Jepkosgei (3W)/#70 Gongming Gao [NCR] (5W)/#79 Axel Chase

WGPO: #11 Lane Carter (2W)/ #9 Batu Tüvshinbayar (WGP2 S5 Champion/1W)
NSTT: 4 S-Titles (3 RU)/2 D-Titles (6 RU)

UN - U1
TJUN (Ta-Jun) - An organ of the UN that focuses on "international role-play" (i.e. USA = Fang the Sniper) (U2)
TJUN-ia (Ta-Jun-ee-a) - The testing grounds of TJUN members, but operates as an independent nation. (U3)

Bollonich
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 20, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Bollonich » Mon May 10, 2021 11:54 am

Vreton City Journal

Movie Review : Life > Football
The movie, Life > Football a movie that has had a huge impact on both the movie industry and the footballing world. The movie depicts the story about Na’ima a footballer who revolutionised the position of women in the Bollonischian Footballing Team and how we look at them in society. She was a major member pf the women eights movement which advocated for better representation of women in parliament and in society during the 20th century. The movie also manages to convey another point to the audience. The point on how fame can break a person, and that lives of celebrities aren’t as white and black as they think it to be. Celebrities are people, we as normal people look up to, wish our fates to have been like theirs, but what we don’t see is the darkness hidden deep. The movie shows us how this fame actually destroys her life as has done with many other celebrities. The story and meaning of the movie is well portrayed and with really good cinematography claiming Life > Football to be one of the better movies of the won’t be a far fetched idea. I would however like to point out two main reasons why this movie is so adored and has received such success:-

1 The portrayal of the story, and the way the story is told is spot on. The story telling, script and actors & actresses were all brilliant in there own right. Solie Mac’s portrayal was one of the best performances I have seen this year. However the direction from Jonie Nicosia cannot go unmentioned which was truly phenomenal. These factors are ones which allow the story to be told with such brilliance and the point being put forward.

2 Relevance - Another major reason for the success is the relevance of the story being told in our everyday lives. We see celebrities dying every year due to drug overdoses or suicide. This brings out the importance of mental health and treatment of psychological issues. But most importantly of all, loneliness or exclusion. These things can destroy a person’s sense of living. This is what we see happen to Na’ima and hence understand the importance of helping these peopled by actually looking deeper into their lives to help them deal with fame.

~Nam Sören
Meh

The Grearish Union
Envoy

Founded: Apr 20, 2020
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Grearish Union » Mon May 10, 2021 12:47 pm

Sean Fullerton deemed Grearish PM
Stacy Corbett - Our Correspondent
With a range of issues coming to the fore in the Grearish General Elections of 2021, there was considerable talk about how the parties would fare in this new 'Second Republic of the Union, where the governance moves away from a directly-elected presidential format to a bicameral legislature with the Prime Minister as the functional head of state. The move comes after President Garth Ledford (who will now only be a tituitary head of state) called for decentralisation of government powers for greater efficiency in governance.

The contesting parties against the LDP (Liberal Democratic Party, or the Liberals or LibDems) were the LFA (Left Front Alliance, a national platform made up of all the smaller leftist parties coming together), NAT (Nationalist Conference, a populist nationalist outfit and is completely on the other end of the spectrum from the LFA), and the CON (Conservative Party, a moderate-right solution of all Liberal problems). The LAB (Labour Party) had not declared allegiance to any side, while the PSP (People's Social Party) were firmly on the side of the LibDems.

In the elections for seats in the lower house, the Grearish Commons, the LDP had surged ahead in the 7-stage election process that saw one state polling its votes at a time, before moving on to the next. Elections were contested in the alphabetic order of states, With sufficient leads in many parts of Adenham, the LDP were well on their way to stamp out opposition completely when the results were declared. Adenham state ultimately fared as follows:

Adenham: 105 seats
. LDP: 50 seats
. CON: 16 seats
. LFA: 9 seats
. LAB: 11 seats
. PSP: 15 seats
. NAT: 4 seats

The mandate of the people was swung very surely in the favour of the LibDems in Adenham, with 5 out of 9 constituencies of the Salvador conurbation going to the LibDems. This was not homogeneously predicted by the numerous exit polls, but was certainly backed by a slight majority of them. The honours of the second-most popular party was almost even-stevens at this point, shared by the Conservatives and the People's Social divided by the difference of a solitary seat. This was the first state to be polled and the first state whose votes were counted, setting the tone for the rest of the country.

Atheburn NCR: 77 seats
. LDP: 35 seats
. CON: 14 seats
. LFA: 3 seats
. LAB: 9 seats
. PSP: 10 seats
. NAT: 6 seats

The conclusion of the Atheburn National Capital Region polls brought with itself the assurance of a strong result for the LDP as exit polls started to show numbers in favour of the Sean Fullerton-led party. The capital was allegedly most concerned about the growing need of employment in the country, with the influx of people from the rural areas to the capital for jobs not ceasing at the very least. The common market with the rest of Esportiva in a Union was also considered a buoying factor for the surging yellows, as the state was swept up in a mighty LibDem craze. Both Sean Fullerton and Jill martin got elected from the national capital, cementing a strong yellow showing.

Chicaster: 51 seats
. LDP: 18 seats
. CON: 11 seats
. LFA: 4 seats
. LAB: 2 seats
. PSP: 10 seats

The second-smallest state in terms of population, Chicaster has always been the rural heartland for revolutions and such for Grearia -- in spirit, if not for the outright might in rural population. In recent days, the turnover from rural produce has been shrinking, and innovation has been rising, but at a very much declining rate. The LDP probably provides for a progressive solution to these problems, away from the traditionally conservative views that the state generally always had. Edgenorth found itself proving the point with only one point going to the yellows, from the total of seven possible constituencies. The People's Socials found themselves carrying the majority party's hopes in this one.

Elesborough: 122 seats
. LDP: 56 seats
. CON: 24 seats
. LFA: 13 seats
. LAB: 8 seats
. PSP: 7 seats
. NAT: 14 seats

The 122 seats of Elesborough had a definitely clear majority of 56 seats being snapped up by the yellows. The trend had no two ways to be interpreted in -- a 103 seats already in the bag for the LibDems wa a clear sign of what was to come. The state capital at Plibury, which is an IT hub and the driving force behind the booming electronics market in Grearia showed immense support for the Fullerton effort, with five of the seven constituencies going to the yellows. The stringent crackdown on hooliganism (as done in Forsho) has proved to be quite the catapulting force behind the leaders in this Commons race.

Glomridge: 91 seats
. LDP: 38 seats
. CON: 16 seats
. LFA: 8 seats
. LAB: 11 seats
. PSP: 12 seats

Glomridge's 91 seats didn't set itself apart from the larger national trend as the LDP bagged 38 constituencies, but the showing at the conurbation of Urdsall was not very convincing. With a rural population of 158,317, the constituencies had a large rural bias towards the conservative ideologies, and therefore voted Conservative. The LDP could only manage three out of the possible 8 votes, with the Conservatives sharing the same number of successes.

Manta Islands: 34 seats
. LDP: 13 seats
. CON: 9 seats
. LFA: 3 seats
. LAB: 3 seats
. PSP: 3 seats
. NAT: 3 seats

The smallest (and probably the most loved?) state in the Grearish Union would undoubtedly (arguably?) be the Manta Islands. The '34 Seats of Manta' might not look like much, but could easily be the kingmaker in times of uncertainty towards a hung parliament. This time with the LibDem wave, that might not have been necessary. Nevertheless, in the now familiar fashion, 13 seats were grabbed by the Liberal Democrats while 9 were mopped up by the Conservatives. The 12 remaining seats were divided equally between the Leftists, the Labour, the PSP, and the NatCon.

Valgow: 110 seats
. LDP: 54 seats
. CON: 14 seats
. LFA: 7 seats
. LAB: 13 seats
. PSP: 11 seats
. NAT: 11 seats

The Valgow results were the last to come out, with the yellow wave all but confirmed in the rest of the country. Even then, the majestic city of Forsho with all its 18 constituencies were a notable battleground, but it ended in heartbreak for the Conservatives as the LibDems got themselves a hold of 10 seats out of the possible 18. Confirming the landslide victory was the most important part of this set of results, as the LibDems and the PSP were all set to form the first Union Government of the second Republic.

The peculiarly elected Grearish Commons now made for a rather unwieldy opposition comprised of the extreme left of the spectrum in the Left Front Alliance and the extreme right in the Nationalist Conference being slammed into one composite opposition bench structure. How this delicately-poised arrangement turns out is one for the time to tell in eventuality, but it may as well go down in the history books as one of the more rare things to see. That is, if this isn't the start of an interesting trend...

With all the states now accounted for, the final result of the voting season stands as follows:

OVERALL RESULTS: 590 seats
. LDP: 264 seats Government
. CON: 104 seats Opposition
. LFA: 47 seats Opposition
. LAB: 57 seats Cross-benches
. PSP: 68 seats Government
. NAT: 50 seats Opposition

The election database is available here.
Last edited by The Grearish Union on Mon May 10, 2021 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IC Name: Grearia, The Grearish Union
Area: 655,436 km2 | Population: 88,636,071 | Pop. Density: 135.23 per km2
Champion: GCF World Test Challenge 12 | Host: GCF T20WC 12, R7WC 6, NSTT Salvador Hills Open
A proud member of Esportiva!
This user was behind the erstwhile Gloriax.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports