NATION

PASSWORD

We Need a Universal Map

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Danoxzoyan
Civil Servant

Founded: May 08, 2021
Ex-Nation

We Need a Universal Map

Postby Danoxzoyan » Sat May 08, 2021 7:20 am

There are millions of regions in Nationstates with millions of nations existing.

However, without a universal mapping system, it lacks the foundational experience of all nation-based political role plays; The World Map.

Let's say if Region A wants to attack Region B while Region C wants to attack Region A, it will be hard to fantasize and imagine how the troops movements are all taking place without an officially recognized world map positioning of these regions and nations in those regions.

We should create a AI generated mapping system that automatically place nations and regions into it and autonomously spawn new spaces for new nations, and allow individual region and nations to customize their territorial boundaries.

The AI generated mapping system also can tell a player when he created a nation where he spawns and who are directly his neighbours, then we can go on into developing a semi-realistic resource trading system. If the mapping system existed, cool things can happen, for example, let's say if I want to go full Lebensraum 2.0 on my neighbour, I can click a 'declare war' button which will prompt a map simulation to spawn where it shows our territories exchanging blows for comedic effect.
Last edited by Danoxzoyan on Sat May 08, 2021 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Daarwyrth
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Sat May 08, 2021 7:25 am

If you want to play wars like that I suggest you try out Europa Universalis IV, games from the Total War series, or heck, why not even try out Stellaris?

For a browser-based simulation game like NationStates however? Not going to work. Besides, you'd have to take into account the fact that some nations control entire galaxies, or multiverses. The map would be of proportions that I couldn't even begin to fathom.
The Royal State of Daarwyrth
Forest's Minister of Foreign Affairs

Leader: Queen Demi Maria I | Capital: Daarsted | Current year: 2022 CE
  • Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male
  • Dutch with Polish roots
  • English literature major
  • Ex-religious gay leftist

Countesia
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 10, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Countesia » Sat May 08, 2021 7:27 am

let's say if I want to go full Lebensraum 2.0 on my neighbour, I can click a 'declare war' button which will prompt a map simulation to spawn where it shows our territories exchanging blows for comedic effect.

This wouldn't work for the sole reason that a player, especially a new one, wouldn't want their older and far more powerful nation to steamroll them straight out of the gate.

Even if they had 24hr protection, some nations here are in the hundreds of billions of people. You'd have like, twenty players at most.

It would be a cool side game but not a game-wide feature.
Last edited by Countesia on Sat May 08, 2021 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Danoxzoyan
Civil Servant

Founded: May 08, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Danoxzoyan » Sat May 08, 2021 7:33 am

Okay maybe not an absolutely official global universal map, but how about a scenario-specific map spawner, I mean at least having some sort of mapping system that isn't absolute would be good enough for NationStates.

For example, when 10 nations sign up and begin a role play in a thread, they can click a button to make the machine randomly generate a map where those 10 nations will be in, and perhaps as time goes on we can introduce mechanics such as customization of positions.

A mapping system that is non-cannon and can be generated on demand for specific gameplay scenarios involving select nations would be amazing, I don't think the coding on this would be too hard, right?

Daarwyrth
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Sat May 08, 2021 7:37 am

Danoxzoyan wrote:Okay maybe not an absolutely official global universal map, but how about a scenario-specific map spawner, I mean at least having some sort of mapping system that isn't absolute would be good enough for NationStates.

For example, when 10 nations sign up and begin a role play in a thread, they can click a button to make the machine randomly generate a map where those 10 nations will be in, and perhaps as time goes on we can introduce mechanics such as customization of positions.

A mapping system that is non-cannon and can be generated on demand for specific gameplay scenarios involving select nations would be amazing, I don't think the coding on this would be too hard, right?

I think players here are happy to create their own maps, national and regional, to use for RPs.
The Royal State of Daarwyrth
Forest's Minister of Foreign Affairs

Leader: Queen Demi Maria I | Capital: Daarsted | Current year: 2022 CE
  • Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male
  • Dutch with Polish roots
  • English literature major
  • Ex-religious gay leftist

The Sherpa Empire
Minister

Founded: Jan 15, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Sherpa Empire » Sat May 08, 2021 10:27 am

Daarwyrth wrote:
Danoxzoyan wrote:Okay maybe not an absolutely official global universal map, but how about a scenario-specific map spawner, I mean at least having some sort of mapping system that isn't absolute would be good enough for NationStates.

I think players here are happy to create their own maps, national and regional, to use for RPs.

^This.

Just join a region that has a regional map.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།
Following new legislation in The Sherpa Empire, life is short but human kindness is endless.
Alternate IC names: Sherpaland, Pharak

The Black Remnant
Secretary

Founded: Mar 26, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby The Black Remnant » Sat May 08, 2021 10:39 am

A universal map, or even a scenario-based map generator, are by all means impossible under NationStates' current, well, everything.

If you want to RP out a war with someone, collaborate on a map over discord or NS or w/e, plenty of players already do so and it's not a bad system.
An AU of Hollow Knight where the Ancient Civilization never fell, spawning a lovecraftian horror story of escalating terror and madness as the dark secrets beneath Hallownest are slowly uncovered.

Current Date: 750 Post-Founding

[b][color=#2596be]THE CITY TABLET: NO NEWS TODAY

Aikoland
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 22, 2011
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Aikoland » Sat May 08, 2021 12:17 pm

NationStates has free-form RP and a 'universal map' (or any form of map generator) makes no sense under that concept.

Not every nation is set in the same universe and plenty of nations already have their own canonical maps. People have been RPing wars for nearly 19 years now without issue, I don't see a need to add a 'mapping feature' will help at all.

(Let's not even get into how NS is not meant to be a war-simulator and the admin team always consistently shoots down any suggestions on features that could be taken as adding a war feature to the game)
♥ L'Empire d'Aikoland ♥
Trois États, Une Impératrice
Official Flag|Factbook|Q&A
The middle character in my flag is a boy
A small Francophone nation located on a group of islands to the south of France. Primary territory of the nation consists of three main islands, the states as described in our national motto, along with smaller less populated islands surrounding them.
Official Nation Name: The Empire of Aikoland
Government Type: Parliamentary constitutional monarchy
Head of State: Empress Élisabeth IV
Head of Government: Prime Minister Mélodie Bélanger
Population: 6.07 million (2023 estimate)
Official Language: French
Current Year: 2023

Esthe
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 21, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Esthe » Sat May 08, 2021 12:19 pm

I think that it would be sort of impossible with nations being created every few minutes. The mods would have a very hard time keeping up. If you want, you could just create your own map of the nations involved in the roleplay.
And now my life has changed in oh so many ways
My independence seems to vanish in the haze

The Axis of Death
Lobbyist

Founded: May 04, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby The Axis of Death » Sat May 08, 2021 1:28 pm

Wouldn't that be a massive burden on the server?

Also, if this were a thing, it would definitely need to be on an "opt-in" basis.

Also gameplayers would abuse this with their mountains of puppets.

Goraria
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 17, 2020
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Goraria » Sat May 08, 2021 4:39 pm

There will be overlapping borders and lots of disputes plus how would the website even process a map of every. single. region?

I mean sure it’s helpful but hey only simple answer is roleplay and plus you don’t even need a map for it unless you want to then that’s fine.
WIP Overview 8 value thing LeftValue RightValues very biased political compass
NS Backrooms Wayback Machine
NS stats shall be struck out null and void.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him destroy China.
A class 1.33 based on this index and a power comparator of 13.71 in this index.
You might find me in forum 7.
He/Him

Ninja’d NS Neighborhood
News: A man has fallen into a river in lego city start by building the rescue helicopter. I am of goods at spellings and of grammer. NSstats is cringe.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical