NATION

PASSWORD

Athletes Are Banned From Wearing BLM Clothing At Olympics

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
The Opinions Guy
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 17, 2020
Ex-Nation

Athletes Are Banned From Wearing BLM Clothing At Olympics

Postby The Opinions Guy » Fri May 07, 2021 5:21 pm

"The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has reaffirmed its decision to ban any sort of political, social or ideological protest at the upcoming Tokyo Games. That means taking a knee, raising a fist or wearing apparel that says Black Lives Matter will not be permitted and athletes will face punishments if they break the rules. Athletes in loads of different sports around the world have been donning the BLM phrase on t-shirts, armbands and other pieces of clothing before, during or after matches and games. Some, particularly in America, have also been taking a knee during the national anthem to protest against police brutality."

Source: https://www.sportbible.com/australia/news-athletes-banned-from-wearing-black-lives-matter-clothing-at-olympics-20210505

Now time for my biased opinion: Really? I feel like the IOC is just trying to enflame people or bring attention to the Olympics, cause this is stupid. They SPECIFICALLY state that BLM clothing and symbols are banned, then try to justify it by referencing some long-forgotten rule that hasn't been used in decades. What say you, NSG?
Social Democrat | Atheist | Canadian | Bisexual
Pro: Freedom of Speech, Democracy, Universal Healthcare, LGBTQ+ Rights, BLM, Feminism, Choice, Conservation, Nuclear Power, UN, Pacifism, Secularism, Atheism, Internationalism, Monarchy, Cosmopolitanism
Anti: Trumpism, Guns, War, Racism, Homophobia, Transphobia, Capital Punishment, Nazism, NIMBYism, Fascism, Fossil Fuels, Social Media, Nuclear Weapons, Nationalism, Islamophobia, Bigotry, Antisemitism

The Axis of Death
Lobbyist

Founded: May 04, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby The Axis of Death » Fri May 07, 2021 5:27 pm

The IOC is an unelected, corrupt group of elites. They can do whatever the hell they feel like with no repercussions. This is incredibly stupid.
Last edited by The Axis of Death on Fri May 07, 2021 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Fri May 07, 2021 5:28 pm

This is a step in the right direction. There shouldn’t be any protests at the Olympics. The Olympics are about promoting international cooperation, sporting excellence, sportsmanship, and nationalism. It’s not really an appropriate venue to politicize and disrupt.

A BLM protest in Tokyo also wouldn’t make sense. The issues are in the USA, not Japan. If you’re willing to try and ruin/disrupt the games for millions of international viewers and athletes, it doesn’t reflect well on the movement.

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Fri May 07, 2021 5:29 pm

I wondered when this would come up, but so far the sauce has been sparse.

I should add the IOC has an extremly restrictive policy regarding those matters. They make sure as hell no athlete wears insignia or brands that has been approved before by them.
Last edited by Nakena on Fri May 07, 2021 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Axis of Death
Lobbyist

Founded: May 04, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby The Axis of Death » Fri May 07, 2021 5:32 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:This is a step in the right direction. There shouldn’t be any protests at the Olympics. The Olympics are about promoting international cooperation, sporting excellence, sportsmanship, and nationalism. It’s not really an appropriate venue to politicize and disrupt.

"International cooperation" does not justify suppression of free speech.
Infected Mushroom wrote:A BLM protest in Tokyo also wouldn’t make sense. The issues are in the USA, not Japan. If you’re willing to try and ruin/disrupt the games for millions of international viewers and athletes, it doesn’t reflect well on the movement.

They banned all political protest, not just BLM protesting. Also, just because the protest happened in a place that wasn't the US doesn't mean it won't be seen by Americans. And I don't see how advocating for equality would "ruin" the games.

Latorik
Envoy

Founded: Nov 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Latorik » Fri May 07, 2021 5:36 pm

Can OP change the thread title to better represent the situation?

afaik it seems to be everything with political connations rather than targeted directly at BLM

ooooh nvm reread, seems they mentioned the BLM movement specifically
Last edited by Latorik on Fri May 07, 2021 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New Antarcticania
Minister

Founded: Oct 25, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby New Antarcticania » Fri May 07, 2021 5:43 pm

The move upholds the Olympics' Rule 50, which addresses the 'demonstration or political, religious or racial propaganda' on the playing field, at the medal stand or during the Games' official ceremonies.
Former Frozen commie hole somewhere in Antarctica. Now rebranded as an slightly less frozen and less commie hole somewhere in the South Atlantic, we out-navy the Russian Navy (This is less of a brag now. Isn't it?).

The Saucer Pilots
Attaché

Founded: Aug 15, 2020
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Saucer Pilots » Fri May 07, 2021 5:45 pm

I'm no psychic, but I predict somebody will do a remake of that photo from the 1968 Mexico Olympics regardless of the penalizations. Call it a hunch. Rule 50 didn't stop Smith or Carlos.
Last edited by The Saucer Pilots on Fri May 07, 2021 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Great Air Domain
Not-Fully-Automated So-So Bi Space "Communism", the nation. Also, responsible for the half-truths around 1950s UFO sightings.
Basics / Nova: Earth's Nanny / Nova's VIPs / Military (?) / Weather Balloon: A Story/ The Men in Black/The Majestic 12: America's real govt.
This nation started as a semi-comical attempt as to reason why supposedly advanced aliens do a lot of convoluted, redundant and outright dumb things in Ufology.

Great Algerstonia
Minister

Founded: Mar 21, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Algerstonia » Fri May 07, 2021 6:02 pm

The Axis of Death wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:This is a step in the right direction. There shouldn’t be any protests at the Olympics. The Olympics are about promoting international cooperation, sporting excellence, sportsmanship, and nationalism. It’s not really an appropriate venue to politicize and disrupt.

"International cooperation" does not justify suppression of free speech.
Infected Mushroom wrote:A BLM protest in Tokyo also wouldn’t make sense. The issues are in the USA, not Japan. If you’re willing to try and ruin/disrupt the games for millions of international viewers and athletes, it doesn’t reflect well on the movement.

They banned all political protest, not just BLM protesting. Also, just because the protest happened in a place that wasn't the US doesn't mean it won't be seen by Americans. And I don't see how advocating for equality would "ruin" the games.

Because then the DPRK would declare reunification and start a shitshow. Israeli-Middle East games would devolve into fistfights. There would be shouting matches between pro and anti-EU fans. It's literal precedent to ban all political symbols and speeches at the Olympics, and it's because it's for entertainment, not politics. Olympics banning BLM symbolism is nothing new nor unordinary.
Anti: Russia
Pro: Prussia
Resilient Acceleration wrote:After a period of letting this discussion run its course without my involvement due to sheer laziness and a new related NS project, I have returned with an answer and that answer is Israel.

Japan and Pacific States
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 09, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Japan and Pacific States » Fri May 07, 2021 6:08 pm

The Axis of Death wrote:The IOC is an unelected, corrupt group of elites. They can do whatever the hell they feel like with no repercussions. This is incredibly stupid.

They're still a private entity. They can do whatever they want(Sound familiar?). It's a sports event, not a political gathering, if someone wants to go hold a political rally they can do it on their own time.
Nationstates Stats not Used
Everyone's favourite Alt-history Japanese empire with advanced tech and a new Shogunate.. And domination over half the world.
Current Events:All is well

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 22, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Idzequitch » Fri May 07, 2021 6:13 pm

While I agree that the Olympics is not the place for political statements, the error here is assuming that the idea of black lives mattering is a political one. Black individuals are not a policy up for debate. They are people, and valued participants in the Olympic Games. While political avenues are being taken to try to ensure the fair treatment of black people, the issue is not, at its base, a political one. It's a humanitarian issue, and one that holds far more inportance than any of the games at the Olympics. There comes a time when we must stop worrying about avoiding controversy, and just try to be decent human beings. This is one of those times.
Twenty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian. Politically unaffiliated libertarian-ish centrist.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
Political Compass Left/Right 0.13
Libertarian/Authoritarian -5.38
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

Adamede
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Adamede » Fri May 07, 2021 6:16 pm

I don’t think the olympics allows any form of political apparel.

Great Algerstonia
Minister

Founded: Mar 21, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Algerstonia » Fri May 07, 2021 6:20 pm

Idzequitch wrote:While I agree that the Olympics is not the place for political statements, the error here is assuming that the idea of black lives mattering is a political one. Black individuals are not a policy up for debate. They are people, and valued participants in the Olympic Games. While political avenues are being taken to try to ensure the fair treatment of black people, the issue is not, at its base, a political one. It's a humanitarian issue, and one that holds far more inportance than any of the games at the Olympics. There comes a time when we must stop worrying about avoiding controversy, and just try to be decent human beings. This is one of those times.

Black lives matter and the Olympics already know it, and the Olympics doesn't need to have American social movements broadcasted into it. Politics/social in sports always becomes a mess.
Anti: Russia
Pro: Prussia
Resilient Acceleration wrote:After a period of letting this discussion run its course without my involvement due to sheer laziness and a new related NS project, I have returned with an answer and that answer is Israel.

The Lone Alliance
Powerbroker

Founded: May 25, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Lone Alliance » Fri May 07, 2021 6:40 pm

Great Algerstonia wrote:
Idzequitch wrote:While I agree that the Olympics is not the place for political statements, the error here is assuming that the idea of black lives mattering is a political one. Black individuals are not a policy up for debate. They are people, and valued participants in the Olympic Games. While political avenues are being taken to try to ensure the fair treatment of black people, the issue is not, at its base, a political one. It's a humanitarian issue, and one that holds far more inportance than any of the games at the Olympics. There comes a time when we must stop worrying about avoiding controversy, and just try to be decent human beings. This is one of those times.

Black lives matter and the Olympics already know it, and the Olympics doesn't need to have American social movements broadcasted into it. Politics/social in sports always becomes a mess.

Furthermore which Black Lives? Because there's a whole lot of Black Lives in Africa suffering under worse conditions than the US, and for them Black Lives Matter is a first world problem.

The police in the US might be bad but they aren't sending kill teams to the ghettos to round up every black Male to conscript them into the police force while kidnapping their children to raise them up to be part of the SWAT team.

Sometimes Americans need to realize that their problems aren't the center of the world.
Last edited by The Lone Alliance on Fri May 07, 2021 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger." -Herman Goering
--------------
War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; -William Tecumseh Sherman

American Pere Housh
Senator

Founded: Jan 12, 2019
Father Knows Best State

Postby American Pere Housh » Fri May 07, 2021 7:03 pm

The Opinions Guy wrote:"The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has reaffirmed its decision to ban any sort of political, social or ideological protest at the upcoming Tokyo Games. That means taking a knee, raising a fist or wearing apparel that says Black Lives Matter will not be permitted and athletes will face punishments if they break the rules. Athletes in loads of different sports around the world have been donning the BLM phrase on t-shirts, armbands and other pieces of clothing before, during or after matches and games. Some, particularly in America, have also been taking a knee during the national anthem to protest against police brutality."

Source: https://www.sportbible.com/australia/news-athletes-banned-from-wearing-black-lives-matter-clothing-at-olympics-20210505

Now time for my biased opinion: Really? I feel like the IOC is just trying to enflame people or bring attention to the Olympics, cause this is stupid. They SPECIFICALLY state that BLM clothing and symbols are banned, then try to justify it by referencing some long-forgotten rule that hasn't been used in decades. What say you, NSG?

The IOC did the right thing as BLM Inc. are nothing but terrorists.
Government Type: Militaristic Republic
Leader: President Alexander Jones
Prime Minister: Isabella Stuart-Jones
Secretary of Defense: Hitomi Izumi
Secretary of State: Eliza 'Vanny' Cortez
Time: 2023
Population: MT-450 million
Territory: All of North America, The Islands of the Caribbean and the Philippines

The Reformed American Republic
Powerbroker

Founded: May 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Reformed American Republic » Fri May 07, 2021 7:06 pm

Great Algerstonia wrote:
The Axis of Death wrote:"International cooperation" does not justify suppression of free speech.

Because then the DPRK would declare reunification and start a shitshow. Israeli-Middle East games would devolve into fistfights. There would be shouting matches between pro and anti-EU fans. It's literal precedent to ban all political symbols and speeches at the Olympics, and it's because it's for entertainment, not politics. Olympics banning BLM symbolism is nothing new nor unordinary.

This.
"It's called 'the American Dream' 'cause you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz
Older posts do not reflect my positions.

Holocene Extinction

Lady Victory
Minister

Founded: Apr 27, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Lady Victory » Fri May 07, 2021 7:12 pm

The Lone Alliance wrote:
Great Algerstonia wrote:Black lives matter and the Olympics already know it, and the Olympics doesn't need to have American social movements broadcasted into it. Politics/social in sports always becomes a mess.

Furthermore which Black Lives? Because there's a whole lot of Black Lives in Africa suffering under worse conditions than the US, and for them Black Lives Matter is a first world problem.

The police in the US might be bad but they aren't sending kill teams to the ghettos to round up every black Male to conscript them into the police force while kidnapping their children to raise them up to be part of the SWAT team.

Sometimes Americans need to realize that their problems aren't the center of the world.

Oh boy, is this the "other people have it worse, so shut up you crybabies" take?

Lemme get the popcorn...
☆ American Left-wing Nationalist and Christian ☆
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."
"Ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country."
"Fascism is not to be debated, it is to be destroyed!"

She/Her - Call me Jenny or LV

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Fri May 07, 2021 7:15 pm

Wow, who would have guessed that the Olympics, notorious for worker abuse to build massive stadiums that only get used once then rot away, do not care about human rights. Or freedom of speach.
Last edited by The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp on Fri May 07, 2021 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mountains and Volcanoes
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 16, 2016
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Mountains and Volcanoes » Fri May 07, 2021 7:19 pm

Lady Victory wrote:
The Lone Alliance wrote:Furthermore which Black Lives? Because there's a whole lot of Black Lives in Africa suffering under worse conditions than the US, and for them Black Lives Matter is a first world problem.

Oh boy, is this the "other people have it worse, so shut up you crybabies" take?

Lemme get the popcorn...

Guess to you the lives of First World are more precious than... eating popcorn

Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 10, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby 503 » Fri May 07, 2021 7:21 pm

Though I oppose how they've targeted one group specifically, I generally support removing political statements from the Olympics, especially given both of the next games (Tokyo and Beijing) have their opponents. Regardless of what happens in geopolitics, we can agree that the Olympics should emphasise unity and good cooperation, not squabbling and hypocritical finger pointing. I hope everyone can come together and create pleasant memories for Tokyo 2021 and Beijing 2022.
Last edited by 503 on Fri May 07, 2021 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The brilliance of that day never fades from our memory.
503 imagines a world without pain and suffering, without limits and boundaries, without despair and destruction.

Mountains and Volcanoes
Ambassador

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Mountains and Volcanoes » Fri May 07, 2021 7:23 pm

The Opinions Guy wrote:"The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has reaffirmed its decision to ban any sort of political, social or ideological protest at the upcoming Tokyo Games. That means taking a knee, raising a fist or wearing apparel that says Black Lives Matter will not be permitted and athletes will face punishments if they break the rules. Athletes in loads of different sports around the world have been donning the BLM phrase on t-shirts, armbands and other pieces of clothing before, during or after matches and games. Some, particularly in America, have also been taking a knee during the national anthem to protest against police brutality."

Good on them for setting the prescient now... (or least the host country) still doesn’t make them hypocrites for letting it slide in the past... which was and is incredibly stupid!

Reploid Productions
Director of Moderation

Founded: Antiquity
Democratic Socialists

Postby Reploid Productions » Fri May 07, 2021 7:24 pm

American Pere Housh wrote:The IOC did the right thing as BLM Inc. are nothing but terrorists.

*** American Pere Housh, 1-day ban for trolling. *** You can find ways to argue against the BLM movement without the nasty sweeping generalizations about its supporters.
Forum mod since May 8, 2003 -- Game mod since May 19, 2003 -- Nation turned 20 on March 23, 2023!
Sunset's DoGA FAQ - For those using DoGA to make their NS military and such.
One Stop Rules Shop -- Reppy's Sig Workshop -- Getting Help Page
[violet] wrote:Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Char Aznable/Giant Meteor 2024! - Forcing humanity to move into space and progress whether we goddamn want to or not!

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Fri May 07, 2021 7:29 pm

I mean, they must realize this just throws down a gauntlet to athletes who otherwise might not have done anything. Or I guess not, since they went ahead and did it...
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

Mountains and Volcanoes
Ambassador

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Mountains and Volcanoes » Fri May 07, 2021 7:30 pm

Great Algerstonia wrote:
The Axis of Death wrote:"International cooperation" does not justify suppression of free speech.

Let’s not forget the disaster of Black September!

Drew Durrnil
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 30, 2020
Anarchy

Postby Drew Durrnil » Fri May 07, 2021 7:33 pm

I don't like it, but it makes sense.
also known as pacific shores
author of sc #434
professional slab worshipper
lieutenant of the south pacific special forces
2023 ananke award co-winner
Rosartemis wrote:DOWN WITH UEPU THOSE DAMNED RAIDERS!

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General