NATION

PASSWORD

New Civilizations III ( OOC, Always Open )

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Endem
Senator

Founded: Aug 19, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Endem » Tue May 04, 2021 5:21 pm

Unrelated question, but are Petra, Jericho, Jawa and Amman and other such Jordanian ancient cities a thing and a independent polity?
All my posts are done at 3 A.M., lucidity is not a thing at that hour.

Joohan
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 11, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Tue May 04, 2021 5:35 pm

Endem wrote:Unrelated question, but are Petra, Jericho, Jawa and Amman and other such Jordanian ancient cities a thing and a independent polity?

At this time in history? Yes.
If you need a witness look to yourself

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism!

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Tue May 04, 2021 6:08 pm

Joohan wrote:
Endem wrote:Unrelated question, but are Petra, Jericho, Jawa and Amman and other such Jordanian ancient cities a thing and a independent polity?

Time for more conquest.
This account must be deleted. The person behind it is a racist, annoying waste of life that must be shunned back to whatever rock he crawled out from.

UniversalCommons
Senator

Founded: Jan 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Tue May 04, 2021 6:18 pm

G-Tech Corporation wrote:
UniversalCommons wrote:
MIlk Thistle, silymarin effects the elevation of liver enzymes. There are a few other herbs exactly like this. There is also the dietary invention of oily fish that might help a tiny bit.

Not to doubt you, but the medical research seems pretty dubious. And, though this seems to come up a bit often so I feel bad doing it - Victor knew this before returning to the past?

Milk thistle is like chamomile, it is one of the most historically used herbs. It is described in 40 a.d. as healing herb by the Greeks. It has been used for over 2000 years to treat liver symptoms. Yes, I would be aware that milk thistle affects the liver. I might not know that is enzymatic. We would have to test it like any of the herbs which we gave people. The classic give it to one group of people and not another. The way that most traditional medicine works like Chinese medicine is that you treat the symptoms. There is a specific herb for a specific symptom. This is not particular hard. We would take a specific herb that was for a specific symptom and use that to treat people. Basically you create a list of symptoms and you match the herbs with the symptoms. Things like garlic, ginger chamomile, parsley, most of the kitchen table herbs, he would know about. Part of herb gardening is knowing about the common properties of herbs. Not the really strange things, but things like dandelion greens which are good for your liver, or garlic which is good for your health. Things like parsley, rosehips, dill, sage and other common garden herbs.

Because he likes health food, he might know things like oranges give you vitamin c, spinach has lots of iron it. Blueberries have antioxidants, fish oil is good for your skin and liver. A little bit of food as medicine.

Initially after he got to Thrace, he spent time learning traditional herbalism from Penelope, so he would know some of the ancient herbs as well. We also went and got various medicines from Egypt and Mesopotamia.

His initial knowledge would be common herbs, things like St. John's Wort, Milk Thistle, Cumin, What you would see in the health food isle or the herb garden. He would not know the herbalism with odd herbs that might be in a traditional chinese medicine office or a homeopath.

He would need help from doctor like his personal physician who he does not really need, but asks a lot of questions, Scholar Doctor Lukics about how medicine works. He has a doctor following him around when he never gets sick which is kind of wacky.

He would not know about things like Ashwagandha in Ayurveda or less common things. He would need the help of Penelope, doctors from Egypt and Mesopotamia to do anything really serious which he has done. Basically come up with different herbs for each symptom, then try and make basic things like distillates of the herbs, grind them up, dry the herbs and boil them until they are strong etc.

Basically a formula that covered all the different symptoms in liquid form that was distilled. We could not cure the disease, but we would be giving a type of herb or medicine for each symptom.

Why we would know that the herb affects the liver is we cut some people to find out. This led to people calling us heretics and stopping listening to us. It is low level blasphemy. It would be an argument that would be about what the right thing to do was.

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Tue May 04, 2021 6:22 pm

G i'm not sure how I feel about this warlord so willing to just hand over his fealty to the imperium based upon rumor alone. Swearing the imperial oaths would be viewed as nothing short of total subordination of pride and sovereignty for most peoples. To forgo the right to judge one's own kin and neighbors and to accept the moral arbitration of a foreigner - not something which proud and resourceful men would be lining up to do.

Far more common in history was for usurpers to try and illicit larger powers to support their claim as a kind of investment. When Khosrow II came to the Byzantines he didn't offer his submission, only that his reign would be of benefit for the Romans in the future. Pyrrhus didn't offer himself as a servant to the Ptolemies in exchange for taking back Albania. And certainly Leo III did not bend the knee toward Charlemagne in exchange for his restoration.

This Hristo appears to be a man of sound understanding and discrimination, able to accurately point out the fanciful wastes of the league at a macro level. Bearing that in mind, it seems unlikely that he would be the same kind of man who would submit himself and his city to a foreign power he's had presumably much more fleeting interactions with, based solely upon what appears to be mostly rumors. I should like to see him less presented as a servant of the Imperium, and more a mercenary of convenience - a warlord looking for a patron and sponsor.

This not only makes things more realistic, but interesting too. The locals of whatever region you happen to be eying at the moment throwing themselves at your feet is hardly any fun - wild card power brokers turn expansions from sound investments into more dangerous and unpredictable gambles.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Tue May 04, 2021 6:25 pm

Joohan wrote:G i'm not sure how I feel about this warlord so willing to just hand over his fealty to the imperium based upon rumor alone. Swearing the imperial oaths would be viewed as nothing short of total subordination of pride and sovereignty for most peoples. To forgo the right to judge one's own kin and neighbors and to accept the moral arbitration of a foreigner - not something which proud and resourceful men would be lining up to do.

Far more common in history was for usurpers to try and illicit larger powers to support their claim as a kind of investment. When Khosrow II came to the Byzantines he didn't offer his submission, only that his reign would be of benefit for the Romans in the future. Pyrrhus didn't offer himself as a servant to the Ptolemies in exchange for taking back Albania. And certainly Leo III did not bend the knee toward Charlemagne in exchange for his restoration.

This Hristo appears to be a man of sound understanding and discrimination, able to accurately point out the fanciful wastes of the league at a macro level. Bearing that in mind, it seems unlikely that he would be the same kind of man who would submit himself and his city to a foreign power he's had presumably much more fleeting interactions with, based solely upon what appears to be mostly rumors. I should like to see him less presented as a servant of the Imperium, and more a mercenary of convenience - a warlord looking for a patron and sponsor.

This not only makes things more realistic, but interesting too. The locals of whatever region you happen to be eying at the moment throwing themselves at your feet is hardly any fun - wild card power brokers turn expansions from sound investments into more dangerous and unpredictable gambles.

Did you read the title of the post? :P

There’s more going on in Odessos, far more than meets the eye. But that would be telling!
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Tue May 04, 2021 7:27 pm

G-Tech Corporation wrote:
Joohan wrote:G i'm not sure how I feel about this warlord so willing to just hand over his fealty to the imperium based upon rumor alone. Swearing the imperial oaths would be viewed as nothing short of total subordination of pride and sovereignty for most peoples. To forgo the right to judge one's own kin and neighbors and to accept the moral arbitration of a foreigner - not something which proud and resourceful men would be lining up to do.

Did you read the title of the post? :P

There’s more going on in Odessos, far more than meets the eye. But that would be telling!

Alrighty then, I'll assume the best then - but I will be keeping an eye on the situation, lest things become too convenient.

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Tue May 04, 2021 9:23 pm

Last edited by Joohan on Tue May 04, 2021 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Uzbekstaland
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 26, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Uzbekstaland » Tue May 04, 2021 9:25 pm

Yay??
American, Conservative, Looking to learn the view of the world.
The Media's evil dont eat what they feedin you their liars, deceitful and half of them probably evil

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Tue May 04, 2021 9:28 pm

Uzbekstaland wrote:Yay??

i'm sorry, you're gonna have to refresh my memory on this one - didn't you drop an app here a while ago?

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Tue May 04, 2021 9:46 pm

It's time to either give a post about expansion into Turkey via slaves or the burning of Ur through a slave uprising and the death of the Empress.
This account must be deleted. The person behind it is a racist, annoying waste of life that must be shunned back to whatever rock he crawled out from.

Uzbekstaland
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 26, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Uzbekstaland » Tue May 04, 2021 9:49 pm

Joohan wrote:
Uzbekstaland wrote:Yay??

i'm sorry, you're gonna have to refresh my memory on this one - didn't you drop an app here a while ago?

I myself dont really remember. Probably not
American, Conservative, Looking to learn the view of the world.
The Media's evil dont eat what they feedin you their liars, deceitful and half of them probably evil

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Tue May 04, 2021 9:52 pm

Ralnis wrote:It's time to either give a post about expansion into Turkey via slaves or the burning of Ur through a slave uprising and the death of the Empress.

Quite a dichotomy

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Tue May 04, 2021 9:53 pm

Uzbekstaland wrote:
Joohan wrote:

I myself dont really remember. Probably not

Maybe it was just the flag that seemed familiar? Anyway, were you curious about joining, or just wanna check us out from afar?

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Tue May 04, 2021 9:56 pm

Joohan wrote:
Ralnis wrote:It's time to either give a post about expansion into Turkey via slaves or the burning of Ur through a slave uprising and the death of the Empress.

Quite a dichotomy

Understand expansion will be slow because I think there's not any or many cities outside of Mesopotamia. Tribes but I don't think anything super big.

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Tue May 04, 2021 9:59 pm

Ralnis wrote:
Joohan wrote:
Quite a dichotomy

Understand expansion will be slow because I think there's not any or many cities outside of Mesopotamia. Tribes but I don't think anything super big.

Hey, Luther would probably due well to hone his merchants edge by viewing his conquests through the lense of investment. I think it would be an interesting perspective at least.

Saxony-Brandenburg
Minister

Founded: Mar 07, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Saxony-Brandenburg » Wed May 05, 2021 1:05 am

Joohan wrote:
Ralnis wrote:Understand expansion will be slow because I think there's not any or many cities outside of Mesopotamia. Tribes but I don't think anything super big.

Hey, Luther would probably due well to hone his merchants edge by viewing his conquests through the lense of investment. I think it would be an interesting perspective at least.

Merchants driving war for personal profit? Say no more, I’ve never heard that one before!
"When Adam delved and Eve span, who was then the gentleman?"

Conwy-Shire
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Conwy-Shire » Wed May 05, 2021 1:30 am

Aaaaaaaand now I disappear back into the bushes (however in future I won't take a month IRL to write a month IC)
Aurelian Stoicist
Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one.

The Real MVP

Endem
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Endem » Wed May 05, 2021 2:09 am

Joohan wrote:

Good, I hope they'll be receptive of what I'm planning

Conwy-Shire wrote:

Aaaaaaaand now I disappear back into the bushes (however in future I won't take a month IRL to write a month IC)

Hey don't worry, I do that all the time and I still wasn't kicked out of the RP.

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Wed May 05, 2021 2:14 am

Sumerian army destroys their entire culture just for the lulz.

Endem
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Endem » Wed May 05, 2021 2:55 am

Ralnis wrote:

Sumerian army destroys their entire culture just for the lulz.

How to get the world to attack you 101, no seriously, nobody would ever ally with Sumer after that, because how can they trust, they are not next

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Wed May 05, 2021 3:46 am

Endem wrote:
Ralnis wrote:Sumerian army destroys their entire culture just for the lulz.

How to get the world to attack you 101, no seriously, nobody would ever ally with Sumer after that, because how can they trust, they are not next

Because trade flows through Sumeria and all knows trade is king. No matter what.

Endem
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Endem » Wed May 05, 2021 3:56 am

Ralnis wrote:
Endem wrote:How to get the world to attack you 101, no seriously, nobody would ever ally with Sumer after that, because how can they trust, they are not next

Because trade flows through Sumeria and all knows trade is king. No matter what.

Trade can be redirected though, I'd imagine people would seek a different trade partner if Sumeria's army was destroying cities for the giggles
Last edited by Endem on Wed May 05, 2021 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Wed May 05, 2021 4:11 am

Endem wrote:
Ralnis wrote:Because trade flows through Sumeria and all knows trade is king. No matter what.

Trade can be redirected though, I'd imagine people would seek a different trade partner if Sumeria's army was destroying cities for the giggles

Or too terrified that if they did then they would be destroyed.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Wed May 05, 2021 6:29 am

UniversalCommons wrote:Initially after he got to Thrace, he spent time learning traditional herbalism from Penelope, so he would know some of the ancient herbs as well. We also went and got various medicines from Egypt and Mesopotamia.

His initial knowledge would be common herbs, things like St. John's Wort, Milk Thistle, Cumin, What you would see in the health food isle or the herb garden. He would not know the herbalism with odd herbs that might be in a traditional chinese medicine office or a homeopath.

Of course, in context, the people in Thrace don't know that milk thistle does anything - that's far far after their time. And I'm not asking what 'Victor Spear' knows, I'm asking what you, the writer behind the Author, knew before entering the RP.

I'm fully aware that you're competent at googling things that the Ancient Greeks knew about, and saying that Victor Spear knows about them. I'm not so sure that you knew about an obscure herb before doing said googling, and could identify it, and were aware it effected liver function. It is also important to draw the distinction between the people of Thrace in 3000 BCE and the Greeks in 40 AD. The two are as related in culture and knowledge as are modern Brits and Anglo-Saxons of the Migration Period.

Though I am interested to see that you're gathering hundreds of warriors in some of the most plague-ridden parts of the League. That... sounds risky.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse