NATION

PASSWORD

ISSUE IDEA: Mummy @@NAME@@, please hold my hand

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

ISSUE IDEA: Mummy @@NAME@@, please hold my hand

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:05 pm

I'm sure my fellow Australians and Singaporeans can relate...

[title] Mummy @@NAME@@, please hold my hand

[validity] low personal freedoms

[desc] A recent Blackacrean mockumentry about @@NAME@@ being an over-legislated nanny state has gone viral globally and brought the issue of over-legislation to your office

[option] "It's bloody ridiculous it is!" complains @@RANDOMNAME@@, who had his plastic sword confiscated before entering. "Yesterday, I tried to do a  kalamatiano on the roof of @@CAPITAL@@ Tower and was told it was too dangerous, and the day before that, I was told I can't take my plastic sword to a concert! Enough with this bloody overlegislation!"

[effect] residents complain about over-legislation whenever a local government fences a river

[option] "I don't believe that our laws are over-zealous" comments beaurocrat @@RANDOMNAME@@, who took a break from drafting a law preventing plugging in electrical devices without wearing rubber gloves. "These laws are necessary in order to keep our citizens safe from themselves, and prevent them from doing all those, for lack of a better word, stupid things that could get them killed. Now if you'll excuse me... did that man just eat a whole, uncut apple? We can't allow that, what if chokes on the seed?"

[effect] "It's banned" has become the nation's unofficial motto

[option] "Why don't we just educate our residents about the safe use of everything?" questions @@RNADOMNAME@@, the Dean of @@ANIMAL@@ City, offering you an empty brown paper bag whilst winking, "We can provide them with a basic electricity coarse to allow them to do their own electrical work, we can provide them with a basic OH&S cause to teach them not to fall off cliffs, and, well you get the idea. I think you should consider it!"

[effect] the nation's 25 years olds are getting ready to transition from elementary school to high school
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon May 03, 2021 4:10 am

No comments, ha? Is it really that bad?
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Suvadive Republic
Attaché

Founded: Apr 27, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Suvadive Republic » Mon May 03, 2021 4:15 am

Australian rePublic wrote:No comments, ha? Is it really that bad?

I will comment. As to not let your self esteem down.
I do not know much about this and I am no help. But hey, I got you your first comment.
Another Puppet State of Dowaesk

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon May 03, 2021 4:20 am

Suvadive Republic wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:No comments, ha? Is it really that bad?

I will comment. As to not let your self esteem down.
I do not know much about this and I am no help. But hey, I got you your first comment.

:hug:

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Mon May 03, 2021 6:37 am

I think it's too generic. You're complaining about some vague "over-legislation" rather than any specific laws that people are upset about.

Also, not every nation with low civil rights is a "nanny state" that seeks to protect citizens from themselves. Some are conservative states trying to enforce their idea of morality on everyone. Some are tyrannies who only care to exploit the masses for the leader's benefit.

Black Flag Syndicate
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 10, 2019
Anarchy

Postby Black Flag Syndicate » Mon May 03, 2021 7:47 pm

Trotterdam wrote:I think it's too generic. You're complaining about some vague "over-legislation" rather than any specific laws that people are upset about.

Also, not every nation with low civil rights is a "nanny state" that seeks to protect citizens from themselves. Some are conservative states trying to enforce their idea of morality on everyone. Some are tyrannies who only care to exploit the masses for the leader's benefit.

Then perhaps the validity could large government with high safety? Maybe it could be changed from "over-legislation" to something like "becoming too soft"?
Crazy, hedonist, criminal/vigilante, anarchist syndicate! (With proud pirate roots)
Lazy at Factbook writing, kinda just imply lore or improvise when given a prompt

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue May 04, 2021 3:11 am

Trotterdam wrote:I think it's too generic. You're complaining about some vague "over-legislation" rather than any specific laws that people are upset about.

Thanks for the feedback, but that's kind of the nature of a nanny-state. There aren't any specific nanny state laws, with few exceptions. In order to qualify as a nanny state, you kind of have to ridiculous levels of over-legislation across the board, into all facets of life. Althoiugh, if you think I should focus on some specific laws, I will do so

Yea, good point, thanks. I just didn't know which other measure to use
Black Flag Syndicate wrote:

Then perhaps the validity could large government with high safety? Maybe it could be changed from "over-legislation" to something like "becoming too soft"?

Cheers, thanks. I'll work on the next draft later

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Tue May 04, 2021 7:05 am

Australian rePublic wrote:In order to qualify as a nanny state, you kind of have to ridiculous levels of over-legislation across the board, into all facets of life.
Personally, I feel that any given law is either reasonable or not reasonable. It makes no sense to say "it's fair if the government bans plastic swords at concerts without banning eating uncut apples, and it's fair if the government bans eating uncut apples without banning plastic swords at concerts, but it's crossing the line if the government bans both plastic swords at concerts and eating uncut apples" (to take the examples from your draft).

Sure, in practice, governments that feel they have the right to ban one dangerous thing are also more likely to want to ban other dangerous things as well, but it was the first ban that was the most important because it set the precedent for future legislation.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri May 07, 2021 5:01 pm

I concur with Trotterdam's first comment. It's too broad and generic.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?