NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Restrictions on Military

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Ruchina
Political Columnist

Founded: Aug 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Restrictions on Military

Postby Ruchina » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:57 am

My fellow World Assembly members, although my country has only just risen, we have seen the bloodshed from unnecessary wars that tear apart countries, families, and an individual's sanity. That said, I bring you a draft that could prevent further violence between countries. Note that this is only my first draft, please.

Draft 1

Category: Global Disarmament

Description: A restriction on all national military or paramilitary groups to proper standards, thereof preventing war.

Defining military="A military is an organization authorized by its nation to use force, usually including use of weapons, in defending its country (or by attacking other countries) by combating actual or perceived threats." Paramilitary="A paramilitary is a force whose function and organization are similar to those of a professional military force, but which is not regarded as having the same status." War= "violence between two or more nations caused by territory, ideology, history, ect."

Recognizing That some nations need further military to protect themselves from internal or external threats.

Further Recognizing The need to set restrictions to thy military to prevent invasions and genocide against another nation, no matter is sovereignty or government type and/or figure.

Encourages The settling of differences between two or more countries through a decent, nonviolent manner.

Ian McCutcheon
Head Chancellor of Ruchina
Last edited by Ruchina on Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Meekinos
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 10, 2004
Ex-Nation

Re: [DRAFT] Restrictions on Military

Postby Meekinos » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:10 am

Aw, how adorable and idealistic. Too bad there are non-WA nations who would love to see us pass this kind of resolution. Of course on the flip side, this is a toothless proposal that isn't worth the paper it is written on. It will achieve nothing in the end.
Ambassador Gavriil Floros
Meekinos' Official WA Ambassador
Deputy Treasurer, North Pleides Merchant's Syndicate
CEO & Financial Manager of Delta Energy Ltd.
Madame Elina Nikodemos
Executive Senior Delegate
Educator
The Hellenic Republic of Meekinos
Factbook: Your Friendly Guide to Meekinos
The paranoid, isolationist, xenophobic capitalists.

Ruchina
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Ruchina » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:27 am

Meekinos wrote:Aw, how adorable and idealistic. Too bad there are non-WA nations who would love to see us pass this kind of resolution. Of course on the flip side, this is a toothless proposal that isn't worth the paper it is written on. It will achieve nothing in the end.

I love how you soil a proposal without giving any input on how it can be improved.

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:51 am

i don't think about any nation in existance will vote for this. it will leave them at risk of being attacked by non WA nations. :palm:
I am pursuing my undergraduate degree from Texas A&M University in Psychology and Spanish. My goal in life is to be a marriage and family counselor. If you have questions about me or my life, just ask!

My girlfriend and I blog about Christian & general marriage, relationship, and dating advice!

NS member since 2009. WA Resolution Author (mostly all repealed), NS sports fanatic.

Greenlandic People
Envoy

Founded: Oct 17, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greenlandic People » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:55 am

Well firstly you would need to be far more specific. What kind of restrictions are you putting in place? On whom are they effective? How will they be enforced? These need to be spelled out in great detail so that it's clear to everyone exactly what this resolution does.

However, I have to say that I don't think you'll be able to drum up support for this. Remember, there are a great many nations who are not in the World Assembly. If you put a handicap on the military of World Assembly nations, you give rouge nations that are not a part of the World Assembly a huge advantage.

~Sigismund Ibsen,
Lavinium Delegate to the World Assembly
Last edited by Greenlandic People on Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Member of ODECON
Regional Pages: Forum | Web page | Wiki Page
National Pages: Wiki | Factbook
Author of GA Resolutions: #58 | #64

Ruchina
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Ruchina » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:06 am

Thank you, Greenlandic. I now realize the flaw in this proposal. If a mod/admin could delete this, it would be nice.
Last edited by Ruchina on Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:17 am

Ruchina wrote:Thank you, Greenlandic. I now realize the flaw in this proposal. If a mod/admin could delete this, it would be nice.

You can ask for that help in the moderation forum.
I am pursuing my undergraduate degree from Texas A&M University in Psychology and Spanish. My goal in life is to be a marriage and family counselor. If you have questions about me or my life, just ask!

My girlfriend and I blog about Christian & general marriage, relationship, and dating advice!

NS member since 2009. WA Resolution Author (mostly all repealed), NS sports fanatic.

Kryozerkia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Kryozerkia » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:59 pm

If you need a proposal removed from the WA, I recommend requesting it via Getting Help.
Problem to Report?
Game-side: Getting Help
Forum-side: Moderation
Technical issue/suggestion: Technical
A-well-a, don't you know about the bird
♦ Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word ♦
♦ A-well-a, bird, bird, b-bird's the word

Get the cheese to Sickbay

"Ok folks, show's over... Nothing to see here... Show's OH MY GOD! A horrible plane crash! Hey everybody, get a load of this flaming wreckage! Come on, crowd around, crowd around, don't be shy, crowd around!" -- Chief Wiggum

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:01 pm

My government can neither support nor condone any proposal which restricts or handicaps our military or navy.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Tanaara
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 27, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Tanaara » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:43 pm

The Un Delegate just shakes his head. "Ideaism and energy, got to find some way to harness it, but really writing proposals such as these...The WA member states have never agreed to disarm themselves and never will.
The mathematical probability of a common cat doing exactly as it pleases is the one scientific absolute in the world. -Lynn M. Osband

"We're not so blase, not so willing to accept that we're safe and we can let someone do our security for us. We're not going to sit there and wait for somebody else to do it because if you wait, it might be too late." Jennifer Allen re: Northwest Airlines Flight 253 - quoted for the Win!

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:54 am

Tanaara wrote:The Un Delegate just shakes his head. "Ideaism and energy, got to find some way to harness it, but really writing proposals such as these...The WA member states have never agreed to disarm themselves and never will.

OOC: The NSUN had a fairly good resolution banning 'Biological Weapons' in force at the time of the changeover to the WA, so something along those lines -- stressing the fact that using such weapons risks their spread far beyond their intended targets -- might be accepted again.
Last edited by Bears Armed on Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

His Holiness Yehovah
Attaché

Founded: Aug 04, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby His Holiness Yehovah » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:55 pm

I ill not reduce my military for anyone, its a way of life in our state. I would leave the WA if this would pass.

Firstaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 29, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Firstaria » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:41 am

1. Our politics beliefs are aganist this proposal.
2. Is too confusing, it took me some time to get what you want to do.
3. No one will vote on this, thus no WA nation is stupid enough to risk a non-WA invasion. Things like this one works only in presence of a WA military defensive force, and a WA military defensive force is illegal.
OVERLORD Daniel Mercury of Firstaria
Original Author of SC #5 and SC #30

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:42 am

Ruchina wrote:Encourages The settling of differences between two or more countries through a decent, nonviolent manner.

Encourages is not an operative clause but as a mild resolution Urges and Recommends are perfectly legal. However, this proposal in its current form may not attract many approvals because of the nation's natural right to bear arms of any size.

Remenant America
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Remenant America » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:43 am

hmmmmm.... there are members who hate the WA like whi? funny i never herard of them before

Strathy
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Strathy » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:50 am

It would be great if this could be enforced across the whole world, but it can't. It can only be enforced in WA member states. This would enable non-WA members to take advantage of this.
Sorry but it won't work!
The United Kingdom of Strathy and the Strathan Realms |Þe Ríaƺiŋ Aoniƺtit off Straðye ā þe Straðicſh Lændes | Rìoghachd Aonaichte Srathaidh is Dúthaichan Srathaidhnach
Fortune Favours the Audacious
Factbook

Monarch: His Majesty Seumas I MacPhadraig Uitail, King of Strathy, Emperor of the Strathan Realms
Prime Minister: The Right Honourable Sir Arthur Whitegrave KC KStr. MP (Democratic Labour)

This is nation does not reflect my views except for when it does. Left leaning Scot, pro-independence, twenty-something student/academic trying desperately to avoid the real world
Pro - Not being a right dick
Anti - Being a right dick

Anarchifia
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 10, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Anarchifia » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:17 pm

Of course making a restriction of WA countries invading each other, But the problem is other members who don't care and will happily invade anyone they dislike so the only way it would work is someone go out "Converting" Anti/Non-WA members, However, This would cause unneeded conflict and reprisals that people do not need
The republic of Anarchifia:
President: Adam sanchez
Vice-President: David wurbrington
Secretary: muhammed dilaviv
General(s): olah vilah [Dead], sam balloki.
Millatary
Troops: 20 thousand
Reserves: 10 thousand
Aircraft: 10 thousand
Pilots: 11 thousand
Tanks/Ground veichles: 15 thousand
Ships: 12 thousand

Wars:
Current:
None
Past:
NazioniaVSPeacifia=Won

RussenichVSGerakstan=Won
Country alert:LowIgnored threatNeutral threatWarHigh alertInevtible exterminationDestroyed/Surrender

Serbian_Soviet_Union
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 11, 2009
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Serbian_Soviet_Union » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:07 pm

Ruchina wrote:My fellow World Assembly members, although my country has only just risen, we have seen the bloodshed from unnecessary wars that tear apart countries, families, and an individual's sanity. That said, I bring you a draft that could prevent further violence between countries. Note that this is only my first draft, please.

Draft 1

Category: Global Disarmament

Description: A restriction on all national military or paramilitary groups to proper standards, thereof preventing war.

Defining military="A military is an organization authorized by its nation to use force, usually including use of weapons, in defending its country (or by attacking other countries) by combating actual or perceived threats." Paramilitary="A paramilitary is a force whose function and organization are similar to those of a professional military force, but which is not regarded as having the same status." War= "violence between two or more nations caused by territory, ideology, history, ect."

Recognizing That some nations need further military to protect themselves from internal or external threats.

Further Recognizing The need to set restrictions to thy military to prevent invasions and genocide against another nation, no matter is sovereignty or government type and/or figure.

Encourages The settling of differences between two or more countries through a decent, nonviolent manner.

Ian McCutcheon
Head Chancellor of Ruchina

Nay, because a nation needs to arm itself, possess the most advance military and defensive equipments and hardwares so as to defend itself in an event of a war, thus also this would give the Non-WA nation the advantage to attack WA member states due to banning military or restricting 99% of the military of WA member states.
Zastava Arms Inc Cheap Military Hardware: http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6443
Zastava Energy Inc & Zastava Oil Corporation: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7806
Full member of: AMNAT, CIN, SCUTUM, CA, VA, PSUS
Observer Member of: GIA, EA, CI

Defcon: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) State of War/State of Emergency || Preparation for a possible war
Military size 5% Active || 2.5% Reserves
Government Type: Capitalist, Conservative, Right Wing, Democratic
FSSU Nations Factbook: http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9558
Serbian Broadcasting News: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9733
Baxtell Heavy Engineering Droid Works

Malikov
Minister

Founded: May 10, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Malikov » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:05 pm

I wonder how many ways intelligent people can say no? Lets see boys and girls...

Meekinos wrote:Aw, how adorable and idealistic. Too bad there are non-WA nations who would love to see us pass this kind of resolution. Of course on the flip side, this is a toothless proposal that isn't worth the paper it is written on. It will achieve nothing in the end.

Bergnovinaia wrote:i don't think about any nation in existance will vote for this. it will leave them at risk of being attacked by non WA nations. :palm:

Grays Harbor wrote:My government can neither support nor condone any proposal which restricts or handicaps our military or navy.

Tanaara wrote:The Un Delegate just shakes his head. "Ideaism and energy, got to find some way to harness it, but really writing proposals such as these...The WA member states have never agreed to disarm themselves and never will.

Firstaria wrote:1. Our politics beliefs are aganist this proposal.
2. Is too confusing, it took me some time to get what you want to do.
3. No one will vote on this, thus no WA nation is stupid enough to risk a non-WA invasion. Things like this one works only in presence of a WA military defensive force, and a WA military defensive force is illegal.

His Holiness Yehovah wrote:I ill not reduce my military for anyone, its a way of life in our state. I would leave the WA if this would pass.

Strathy wrote:It would be great if this could be enforced across the whole world, but it can't. It can only be enforced in WA member states. This would enable non-WA members to take advantage of this.
Sorry but it won't work!

I counted seven!!!! How many did you count, boys and girls?
Current flag request.
The Official Factbook Of The United Peoples Of Malikov
Official Malkovian Flag
Official Malikovian Seal
Regional Map Of The United Peoples
Defcon:1 2 3 4 [5]
Military: .5% Standing Military|1.5% Reserves
Organizations:The Phoenix Conglomeration
The Trews - Highway of Heroes

In Flanders Fields the poppies grow
Between the crosses row on row
That mark our place, and in the sky
The larks still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below...

R.I.P.
The Conglomerate
Tiurabo wrote:Your forces are weak because you are capable of reigning them in.
"Friendship is two pals munching on a well cooked face together."

Tanaara
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 27, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Tanaara » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:40 pm

Some times you just have to say NO multiple times to have it sink in.
The mathematical probability of a common cat doing exactly as it pleases is the one scientific absolute in the world. -Lynn M. Osband

"We're not so blase, not so willing to accept that we're safe and we can let someone do our security for us. We're not going to sit there and wait for somebody else to do it because if you wait, it might be too late." Jennifer Allen re: Northwest Airlines Flight 253 - quoted for the Win!

The Most Glorious Hack
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 11, 2003
Anarchy

Postby The Most Glorious Hack » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:12 am

I think that's enough horse-beating, folks.

Of course, I'm deeply amused by all the people howling about this Proposal when they clearly haven't read past the title. This Proposal wouldn't actually do anything.
Now the stars they are all angled wrong,
And the sun and the moon refuse to burn.
But I remember a message,
In a demon's hand:
"Dread the passage of Jesus, for he does not return."

-Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, "Time Jesum Transeuntum Et Non Riverentum"

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly