NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Silence of the Birds

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Debussy
Envoy

Founded: Jun 19, 2019
Psychotic Dictatorship

[SUBMITTED] Silence of the Birds

Postby Debussy » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:36 pm

First Draft:

Silence of the Birds

[validity] High polluting industries, such as Timber Wood-chipping, Sector: Manufacturing, Automobile Manufacturing, etc. Has Defense Forces or Arms Manufacturing. Some degree of Eco-Friendliness.

[description] Following an oddly quiet morning in the office, a frantic group of scientist and bird watchers thrust through your door, interrupting a routine meeting with your Minister of Defense. They claim that all the birds in the nation have gone silent.

[option]“Oh, what calamity!” claims renowned bird scientist, @@RANDOMNAME@@, studying you through a pair of binoculars. “It is clear that our destruction of the environment, or a virus, or… something has stolen the voice of the birds. We must put an end to polluting industries until we find a solution.”

[effect] All major polluting industries have an albatross around their neck.

[option] “This could be far more serious!” gravely answers your Minister of Defense, @@RANDOMNAME@@. “When nature goes silent, be very afraid. They are signaling a predator’s strike, and we are sitting ducks! We must prepare our forces for an imminent attack before we are dead as a dodo!”

[effect] The military has been described has having eagle eyes.

[option] “A little birdy told me there is nothing to worry about,” remarks Alfred Fox, a lobbyist from @@MAJORINDUSTRY@@, who seems to have been in a hear-shot of your office. “All this silence means is that we can enjoy our parks, walkways, and outdoor spaces more without any of that annoying, loud chirping in our ears.”

[effect] Major industries have been feathering their nest.
Last edited by Debussy on Sun May 09, 2021 11:12 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Daarwyrth
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:23 am

Question! What is the premise inspired by? Is it based on a real life event, or something from literature/films/games? While very interesting, it feels a little odd, especially the idea that the silence of the birds was clearly caused by something that your nation is doing, but that it isn't clearly explained, or the link made at least. Have you considered adding an explanation such as "because of high bird death rates, birdsong across @@NAME@@ has fallen silent"? Or that the birds avoid @@NAME@@?
The Royal State of Daarwyrth
Forest's Minister of Foreign Affairs

Leader: Queen Demi Maria I | Capital: Daarsted | Current year: 2022 CE
  • Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male
  • Dutch with Polish roots
  • English literature major
  • Ex-religious gay leftist

Debussy
Envoy

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Debussy » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:35 am

Daarwyrth wrote:Question! What is the premise inspired by? Is it based on a real life event, or something from literature/films/games? While very interesting, it feels a little odd, especially the idea that the silence of the birds was clearly caused by something that your nation is doing, but that it isn't clearly explained, or the link made at least. Have you considered adding an explanation such as "because of high bird death rates, birdsong across @@NAME@@ has fallen silent"? Or that the birds avoid @@NAME@@?

I got the idea for the issue from the Silence of the Lambs movie. I tried to work something from the movie into the issue, but couldn't. I can't say the premise is real-life based. Your remarks did cross my mind, but I was worried about the correct answer in issues problem. I didn't want to say all the birds had gone silent and here is the immediate option to fix that problem, nor did I want to say that all the birds were dying. If you believe that is the best approach, do you have any ideas on how to go about it? There are so many bird idioms, more options couldn't hurt.
Last edited by Debussy on Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:43 am

Debussy wrote:
Daarwyrth wrote:Question! What is the premise inspired by? Is it based on a real life event, or something from literature/films/games? While very interesting, it feels a little odd, especially the idea that the silence of the birds was clearly caused by something that your nation is doing, but that it isn't clearly explained, or the link made at least. Have you considered adding an explanation such as "because of high bird death rates, birdsong across @@NAME@@ has fallen silent"? Or that the birds avoid @@NAME@@?

I got the idea for the issue from the Silence of the Lambs movie. I tried to work something from the movie into the issue, but couldn't. I can't say the premise is real-life based. Your remarks did cross my mind, but I was worried about the correct answer in issues problem. I didn't want to say all the birds had gone silent and here is the immediate option to fix that problem, nor did I want to say that all the birds were dying. If you believe that is the best approach, do you have any ideas on how to go about it? There are so many bird idioms, more options couldn't hurt.

Before you change anything, I would wait for a little bit more feedback, because it could be that it's only me who's having the issue I just described :)

Perhaps if there was a little bit more of a build-up, it would feel a little bit less sudden. Perhaps you could state in the premise that songbird was on the decline, until it suddenly stopped this morning. But definitely wait to see if others have the same remark as I gave.
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Debussy
Envoy

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Debussy » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:54 am

Daarwyrth wrote:
Debussy wrote:I got the idea for the issue from the Silence of the Lambs movie. I tried to work something from the movie into the issue, but couldn't. I can't say the premise is real-life based. Your remarks did cross my mind, but I was worried about the correct answer in issues problem. I didn't want to say all the birds had gone silent and here is the immediate option to fix that problem, nor did I want to say that all the birds were dying. If you believe that is the best approach, do you have any ideas on how to go about it? There are so many bird idioms, more options couldn't hurt.

Before you change anything, I would wait for a little bit more feedback, because it could be that it's only me who's having the issue I just described :)

Perhaps if there was a little bit more of a build-up, it would feel a little bit less sudden. Perhaps you could state in the premise that songbird was on the decline, until it suddenly stopped this morning. But definitely wait to see if others have the same remark as I gave.

Thanks for the great feedback. If others feel the premise is a bit to sudden, I'll find a way to adjust it.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:44 am

If your nation has environmental problems that result in you no longer hearing birds, it's significantly more likely that they simply died off than that they're still around but just turned completely silent.

I guess one thing that might encourage birds to make less noise is widespread hunting, in which case they'd have an incentive to stay quiet when hunters might be around. They'd probably learn to recognize hunters and/or territories where hunting is permitted, rather than being silent all the time, though. Plus birds aren't that easy targets for hunters (being small and fast-moving), and there are animals that hunt them in nature too, so it isn't like they're not already used to it. Also, this scenario still technically involves lots of birds being killed before the remaining ones realize they it might be a good idea to shut up, so my previous point about mass die-offs being a bigger concern than mysterious muteness sort of stands.

Another mildly-interesting thing scientists have discovered is that birds which live in urban areas still make calls, but often adjust the pitch of those calls to be different from what they'd use in the wild, in order to better carry over the ambient noise typical of machinery (such as cars). This probably isn't the most important consequence of urbanization on wildlife.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:47 pm

Why is a bid virus the issue of humans?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Debussy
Envoy

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Debussy » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:02 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Why is a bid virus the issue of humans?

As custodians of the environment, I don't see how it isn't. The sudden silent would naturally peak human interest, too. There are other elements to it than just a virus, which was speculation.
Last edited by Debussy on Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Debussy
Envoy

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Debussy » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:05 pm

Trotterdam wrote:If your nation has environmental problems that result in you no longer hearing birds, it's significantly more likely that they simply died off than that they're still around but just turned completely silent.

I guess one thing that might encourage birds to make less noise is widespread hunting, in which case they'd have an incentive to stay quiet when hunters might be around. They'd probably learn to recognize hunters and/or territories where hunting is permitted, rather than being silent all the time, though. Plus birds aren't that easy targets for hunters (being small and fast-moving), and there are animals that hunt them in nature too, so it isn't like they're not already used to it. Also, this scenario still technically involves lots of birds being killed before the remaining ones realize they it might be a good idea to shut up, so my previous point about mass die-offs being a bigger concern than mysterious muteness sort of stands.

Another mildly-interesting thing scientists have discovered is that birds which live in urban areas still make calls, but often adjust the pitch of those calls to be different from what they'd use in the wild, in order to better carry over the ambient noise typical of machinery (such as cars). This probably isn't the most important consequence of urbanization on wildlife.

I like the sudden silence otherwise the military option doesn't make sense. Widespread hunting seems a bit to much like issue #647.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:15 am

Let me rephrase:

Your scenario is unrealistic and does not make a good issue.

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:50 am

To put it somewhat kinder... perhaps it would be better to try to find another subject to write an issue on. You clearly are capable of writing issues, so I am confident that there is another topic that you could write on. Try to look to the newspapers in your country and/or regional media, perhaps you'll find inspiration there! :)

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Palos Heights
Envoy

Founded: Apr 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Palos Heights » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:58 pm

I'm going to piggyback here, but I think that this issue needs to be reworked. That being said, you are right to talk about the collapse of birds, but I think that you have a better shot with an issue talking about an even bigger ecological collapse: insects.

Rework this issue to talk about how, especially as this is a critical real world issue, insect populations everywhere are tanking and entomologists are signing alarms as loud as they can. I think an issue like that might border on bee issues, so try and frame it regarding the collapse of ecosystems as a whole, but it also allows for the potential of some really humorous situations, i.e., one of the options involves someone you highly suspect is actually a massive colony of ants in a trench coat who speaks in nothing but third-person and constantly references "PROTECTING THE COLONY!". No more birds is a tough niche issue to write about, but I think if you pivot to insects, you can really work a gem out of a lump of coal.
Silence means approval, so speak up for what matters or your voice will go unheard.

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:04 pm

Palos Heights wrote:I'm going to piggyback here, but I think that this issue needs to be reworked. That being said, you are right to talk about the collapse of birds, but I think that you have a better shot with an issue talking about an even bigger ecological collapse: insects.

Rework this issue to talk about how, especially as this is a critical real world issue, insect populations everywhere are tanking and entomologists are signing alarms as loud as they can. I think an issue like that might border on bee issues, so try and frame it regarding the collapse of ecosystems as a whole, but it also allows for the potential of some really humorous situations, i.e., one of the options involves someone you highly suspect is actually a massive colony of ants in a trench coat who speaks in nothing but third-person and constantly references "PROTECTING THE COLONY!". No more birds is a tough niche issue to write about, but I think if you pivot to insects, you can really work a gem out of a lump of coal.

"Silence of the Bees" does have a very interesting ring to it (albeit a very sad one).

I agree with Palos though, an approach to the issue like that could help to make it distinct and realistic.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Debussy
Envoy

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Debussy » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:08 pm

Trotterdam wrote:Let me rephrase:

It doesn't seem any more unrealistic than Issue #474, Mesozoic Park.

Daarwyrth wrote:To put it somewhat kinder... perhaps it would be better to try to find another subject to write an issue on. You clearly are capable of writing issues, so I am confident that there is another topic that you could write on. Try to look to the newspapers in your country and/or regional media, perhaps you'll find inspiration there! :)

I actually had another bird idea based off a movie. Have you ever seen the movies Birdemic or The Birds? I think it would be easy to write those circumstances with realistic backgrounds.

Palos Heights wrote:I'm going to piggyback here, but I think that this issue needs to be reworked. That being said, you are right to talk about the collapse of birds, but I think that you have a better shot with an issue talking about an even bigger ecological collapse: insects.

I like some aspects of this idea. Is there not already an issue about disappearing bee populations? That would be surprising.

Palos Heights
Envoy

Founded: Apr 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Palos Heights » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:19 pm

Debussy wrote:
Trotterdam wrote:Let me rephrase:

It doesn't seem any more unrealistic than Issue #474, Mesozoic Park.

Daarwyrth wrote:To put it somewhat kinder... perhaps it would be better to try to find another subject to write an issue on. You clearly are capable of writing issues, so I am confident that there is another topic that you could write on. Try to look to the newspapers in your country and/or regional media, perhaps you'll find inspiration there! :)

I actually had another bird idea based off a movie. Have you ever seen the movies Birdemic or The Birds? I think it would be easy to write those circumstances with realistic backgrounds.

I like some aspects of this idea. Is there not already an issue about disappearing bee populations? That would be surprising.

There likely is an issue regarding bee populations disappearing, but I am talking about an actual problem with insect populations dwindling around the world. I'm not just talking bees, I'm talking everything. When was the last time you saw a night illuminated by fireflies? When was the last time you heard a mass of bugs at night chirping and buzzing to find their one true love? When was the last time you walked through the woods and was made uncomfortable from the swarm of insects flying through the air? Insect collapse is a serious problem that you could run with, not step on any bee issues that someone will inevitably bring up, but still take your core issues and core validities and create a fantastic, original issue. I mean, if you don't, I will, now that I think about it.

I would also make sure that no one has done an issue on Silent Spring and DDT either, as with birds, you might reach overlap with that as well.
Silence means approval, so speak up for what matters or your voice will go unheard.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?