NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED]@@LEADER@@'s Big Unicameral Bash

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Untecna
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 02, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

[SUBMITTED]@@LEADER@@'s Big Unicameral Bash

Postby Untecna » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:09 am

[Validity] Is Unicameral, is not Autocracy

[Description] A unicum has occurred, as in an unimaginable turn of events your party managed to obtain enough seats in your nation's legislature to pass laws unilaterally. Concerned that the nature of the parliament may become rather univocal, a unified front of opposition leaders has unilingually expressed their wish to see the upper house restored, in an effort to break up the apparent rise of political uniformity, and the unignorable amount of power at your fingertips.

[Option 1] "@@LEADER@@, we can no longer be silent about being silenced," declares @@RANDOMNAME_1@@, the leader of the opposition, while holding hands with @@HIS_1@@ colleagues in parliament. "With this majority, you'll be able to pass any law you want, and you'll always see your projects backed by the legislature. That won't do! The upper house provided checks and balances for situations like this, and therefore we insist that you reinstate it immediately," @@HE_1@@ looks over to the voting floor dressed in your party's colours. "Because it's not like we have a shot at that anymore, heh..."

[Effect 1] The parliament has recently come out of the closet as bicameral.

[Option 2] "Actually, returning to a bicameral system is not enough," says @@RANDOMNAME_2@@, the leader of the smallest opposition party, while looking over to @@RANDOMNAME_1@@. "Yeah, @@HE_2@@'s right, even with the upper house we'd still run the risk of @@LEADER@@'s party becoming a dominant force there," affirms @@RANDOMNAME_3@@, the leader of the second-smallest party. "Good point! A tricameral system would provide even more checks and balances," nods @@RANDOMNAME_4@@, the head of the largest of the smallest parties. "Why couldn't we implement that?" all three ask in choir, looking over to you.

[Effect 2] Trios are the number one group type, both socially and politically.

[Option 3] "We did it, @@LEADER@@!" bellows your party's rather rotund campaign leader, as @@HE@@ breaks through @@RANDOMNAME_1@@'s ensemble of hand-holders. "Hahaha, the parliament is finally, rightfully ours!" @@HE@@ cheers, slapping you on the back. "Now's the time to consolidate power, and not give it away. It's time to do away with that pesky opposition, and all the other little political interlopers once and for all. We have a unicameral legislature? Let's make it a unicoloured one as well! Our party's colours, hahaha!"

[Effect 3] Old folks reminisce about when political diversity existed.

Coauthored with Daarwyrth
Last edited by Untecna on Fri May 07, 2021 1:08 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Dragon with internet access. I am coming for your data. More for the hoard.
NFL Team: 49rs
California is the best is the worst is kinda okay
I may not be an expert on them, but I feel like I know about way too many obscure video/audio formats.
Issues Author (#1520) | Failed GA Resolution Author

Daarwyrth
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:10 pm

Yes, we absolutely need a reversal option for banning bicameralism. However, the issue draft that you have drafted here feels somewhat bare bones. Where's the comedy? Or satire? The speakers in the options miss any form of characterisation. Also, I think a third option of introducing tricameralism would really work as well in this particular case.

As such, I have taken the liberty to expand upon your initial draft, and came up with the following:

[Description] A unicum has occurred, as in an unimaginable turn of events your party managed to obtain enough seats in your nation's legislature to pass laws unilaterally. Concerned that the nature of the parliament may become rather univocal, a unified front of opposition leaders has unilingually expressed their wish to see the upper house restored, in an effort to break up the apparent rise of political uniformity, and the unignorable amount of power at your fingertips.

[Option 1] "@@LEADER@@, we can no longer be silent about being silenced," declares @@RANDOMNAME_1@@, the leader of the opposition, while holding hands with @@HIS_1@@ colleagues in parliament. "With this majority, you'll be able to pass any law you want, and you'll always see your projects backed by the legislature. That won't do! The upper house provided checks and balances for situations like this, and therefore we insist that you reinstate it immediately," @@HE_1@@ looks over to the voting floor dressed in your party's colours. "Because it's not like we have a shot at that anymore, heh..."

[Effect 1] the parliament has recently come out as bi

[Option 2] "Actually, returning to a bicameral system is not enough," says @@RANDOMNAME_2@@, the leader of the smallest opposition party, while looking over to @@RANDOMNAME_1@@. "Yeah, @@HE_2@@'s right, even with the upper house we'd still run the risk of @@LEADER@@'s party becoming a dominant force there," affirms @@RANDOMNAME_3@@, the leader of the second-smallest party. "Good point! A tricameral system would provide even more checks and balances," nods @@RANDOMNAME_4@@, the head of the largest of the smallest parties. "Why couldn't we implement that?" all three ask in choir, looking over to you.

[Effect 2] trios are all the rage these days

[Option 3] "We did it, @@LEADER@@!" bellows your party's rather rotund campaign leader, as @@HE@@ breaks through @@RANDOMNAME_1@@'s ensemble of hand-holders. "Hahaha, the parliament is finally, rightfully ours!" @@HE@@ cheers, slapping you on the back. "Now's the time to consolidate power, and not give it away. It's time to do away with that pesky opposition, and all the other little political interlopers once and for all. We have a unicameral legislature? Let's make it a unicoloured one as well! Our party's colours, hahaha!"

[Effect 3] power comes from uniformity

If you like my suggested draft and want to use it, we can co-author this issue :) If you do agree to that, the title should probably be changed to something more catchy. Maybe "@@LEADER@@'s Big Party"?
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Royal State of Daarwyrth
Forest's Minister of Foreign Affairs

Leader: Queen Demi Maria I | Capital: Daarsted | Current year: 2022 CE
  • Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male
  • Dutch with Polish roots
  • English literature major
  • Ex-religious gay leftist

Untecna
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Untecna » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:31 pm

Daarwyrth wrote:Yes, we absolutely need a reversal option for banning bicameralism. However, the issue draft that you have drafted here feels somewhat bare bones. Where's the comedy? Or satire? The speakers in the options miss any form of characterisation. Also, I think a third option of introducing tricameralism would really work as well in this particular case.

As such, I have taken the liberty to expand upon your initial draft, and came up with the following:

If you like my suggested draft and want to use it, we can co-author this issue :) If you do agree to that, the title should probably be changed to something more catchy. Maybe "@@LEADER@@'s Big Party"?

Done.
I may not be an expert on them, but I feel like I know about way too many obscure video/audio formats.

Middle Barael
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 24, 2020
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Middle Barael » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:36 pm

I don't think it makes sense for the last option to introduce Autocracy. If anything, it sounds like he's suggesting Direct Democracy, not autocracy.

Really the third one should be autocracy, since it is banning other political parties.

And you should probably give the choice to keep a unicameral parliament, without having to simply dismiss the issue.
Pro: Environmentalism, fighting climate change, social democracy, co-ops, police reform, LGBTQ rights, abortions, separation of church and state, democracy, assault weapon ban, proportional representation, multi-party states, Two-State Solution, Israel AND Palestine, pacifism, immigration, Anti-Racism, NHS-type Healthcare, culture, science, multiculturalism, UN, EU

Anti: Environmental destruction, fossil fuels, Trump, Laissez-faire economy, communism, far-right, homophobia, “Pro-Life”, dictatorships, one/two-party systems, guns, Netanyahu, Israeli settlements, Hamas, Jihadism, war, racism, anti-immigration, nationalism, fascism, chauvinism,

8Values
Social: Very Progressive
Economic: Social
Civil: Liberal
Foreign: Internationalist

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:37 pm

Untecna wrote:
Daarwyrth wrote:Yes, we absolutely need a reversal option for banning bicameralism. However, the issue draft that you have drafted here feels somewhat bare bones. Where's the comedy? Or satire? The speakers in the options miss any form of characterisation. Also, I think a third option of introducing tricameralism would really work as well in this particular case.

Done.

Glad to be working with you!

While the addition of the 4th option is nice, I wonder whether it is truly necessary. If you want to keep it in, sure, but personally, I think there's enough issues that install the Autocracy policy already :) my suggestion would be to keep it at 3 options (and essentially option 3 already introduces a form of Autocracy).

Oh, btw, should the title be "Unicameral Bash"? I know it doesn't read as nice as "Big Bicameral Bash", but in essence it's the unicameral system that's being "bashed".

Middle Barael wrote:I don't think it makes sense for the last option to introduce Autocracy. If anything, it sounds like he's suggesting Direct Democracy, not autocracy.

Really the third one should be autocracy, since it is banning other political parties.

And you should probably give the choice to keep a unicameral parliament, without having to simply dismiss the issue.

Well, an option to keep things as they are would essentially be the dismiss button. Although, perhaps there could be an option that puts limits on party size in a unicameral legislature? That would be a bit undemocratic though and defeat the purpose of promoting greater democratic checks and balances.
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Untecna
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Untecna » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:57 pm

Daarwyrth wrote:
Untecna wrote:Done.

While the addition of the 4th option is nice, I wonder whether it is truly necessary. If you want to keep it in, sure, but personally, I think there's enough issues that install the Autocracy policy already :) my suggestion would be to keep it at 3 options, but if you really like option 4, that's okay.

Middle Barael wrote:I don't think it makes sense for the last option to introduce Autocracy. If anything, it sounds like he's suggesting Direct Democracy, not autocracy.

Well, an option to keep things as they are would essentially be the dismiss button. Although, perhaps there could be an option that puts limits on party size in a unicameral legislature? That would be a bit undemocratic though and defeat the purpose of promoting greater democratic checks and balances.

I changed the last option to not do that. Also, the addition of the forth option was an attempt to balance out the work a little, since you came up with the revised version.

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:01 pm

Untecna wrote:
Daarwyrth wrote:While the addition of the 4th option is nice, I wonder whether it is truly necessary. If you want to keep it in, sure, but personally, I think there's enough issues that install the Autocracy policy already :) my suggestion would be to keep it at 3 options, but if you really like option 4, that's okay.

I changed the last option to not do that. Also, the addition of the forth option was an attempt to balance out the work a little, since you came up with the revised version.

The core of the idea is yours, so please, don't worry about balance of work, it's no problem! :)

It's more that I feel that a fourth option makes the issue a bit long, while three keeps it nice and short.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Untecna
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Untecna » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:04 pm

Daarwyrth wrote:
Untecna wrote:I changed the last option to not do that. Also, the addition of the forth option was an attempt to balance out the work a little, since you came up with the revised version.

The core of the idea is yours, so please, don't worry about balance of work, it's no problem! :)

It's more that I feel that a fourth option makes the issue a bit long, while three keeps it nice and short.

But it does provide for those who want to exact revenge against the parliament.

By destroying it. :p

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:17 pm

Untecna wrote:
Daarwyrth wrote:The core of the idea is yours, so please, don't worry about balance of work, it's no problem! :)

But it does provide for those who want to exact revenge against the parliament.

Would that be necessary, though? I mean, that idea could be an issue on its own, people who have some grudge against parliament and want to destroy it. But for a reversal option for the abolishing of the upper house it feels superfluous and a bit off-topic.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Untecna
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Untecna » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:33 am

Daarwyrth wrote:
Untecna wrote:But it does provide for those who want to exact revenge against the parliament.

Would that be necessary, though? I mean, that idea could be an issue on its own, people who have some grudge against parliament and want to destroy it. But for a reversal option for the abolishing of the upper house it feels superfluous and a bit off-topic.

Well then, excuse me while I go and make that.

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:06 am

Untecna wrote:
Daarwyrth wrote:Would that be necessary, though? I mean, that idea could be an issue on its own, people who have some grudge against parliament and want to destroy it. But for a reversal option for the abolishing of the upper house it feels superfluous and a bit off-topic.

Well then, excuse me while I go and make that.

Absolutely feel free to! :) I would suggest to make it a follow-up issue to a previous issue (just not sure which one), then it will work the best, I believe.
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Untecna
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Untecna » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:49 am

Anyone else feel like giving any comments?

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:41 am

I think moving it to last call this fast is a little too fast. We have barely gathered feedback, and I feel we should leave it up for commentary and feedback at least a week or two. My suggestion would be to moving it back to [DRAFT] :) after the draft has had the time to gather feedback and commentary, we can see whether we can move it to [LAST CALL]
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Untecna
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Untecna » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:57 am

Daarwyrth wrote:I think moving it to last call this fast is a little too fast. We have barely gathered feedback, and I feel we should leave it up for commentary and feedback at least a week or two. My suggestion would be to moving it back to [DRAFT] :) after the draft has had the time to gather feedback and commentary, we can see whether we can move it to [LAST CALL]

I doubt there will be much. If there is none by the end of the week, it will be moved to last call. If there are none after that as well, I will submit it. Although I'd like to hear from an issue editor about this issue.

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:42 am

Untecna wrote:
Daarwyrth wrote:I think moving it to last call this fast is a little too fast. We have barely gathered feedback, and I feel we should leave it up for commentary and feedback at least a week or two. My suggestion would be to moving it back to [DRAFT] :) after the draft has had the time to gather feedback and commentary, we can see whether we can move it to [LAST CALL]

I doubt there will be much. If there is none by the end of the week, it will be moved to last call. If there are none after that as well, I will submit it. Although I'd like to hear from an issue editor about this issue.

If an editor has the time, they will comment on the thread, but you have to be patient. Remember that all of this is on volunteer basis, so feedback and commentary relies on the goodwill of others. In other words, patience is key in this process, and putting arbitrary deadlines on Last Calls or submissions is not the way to go about it. That way you only increase the chance that the submission will be rejected.

There is no need to rush this, this draft can easily stick around and wait for feedback and commentary for a while. Because no issue is flawless and I am confident there are several points about this draft that can be improved upon.
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Untecna
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Untecna » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:22 am

Daarwyrth wrote:
Untecna wrote:I doubt there will be much. If there is none by the end of the week, it will be moved to last call. If there are none after that as well, I will submit it. Although I'd like to hear from an issue editor about this issue.

If an editor has the time, they will comment on the thread, but you have to be patient. Remember that all of this is on volunteer basis, so feedback and commentary relies on the goodwill of others. In other words, patience is key in this process, and putting arbitrary deadlines on Last Calls or submissions is not the way to go about it. That way you only increase the chance that the submission will be rejected.

There is no need to rush this, this draft can easily stick around and wait for feedback and commentary for a while. Because no issue is flawless and I am confident there are several points about this draft that can be improved upon.

Then I would say to suggest those points, if you know.

Thank you for the advice but maybe try to understand WHY there is a deadline. If it sits here, nothing is going to get done. And people have seemed to skip over this thread a lot without actually posting.

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:30 am

Untecna wrote:
Daarwyrth wrote:If an editor has the time, they will comment on the thread, but you have to be patient. Remember that all of this is on volunteer basis, so feedback and commentary relies on the goodwill of others. In other words, patience is key in this process, and putting arbitrary deadlines on Last Calls or submissions is not the way to go about it. That way you only increase the chance that the submission will be rejected.

Then I would say to suggest those points, if you know.

Thank you for the advice but maybe try to understand WHY there is a deadline. If it sits here, nothing is going to get done. And people have seemed to skip over this thread a lot without actually posting.

The point of feedback and commentary is to have others point out the points and issues that you yourself missed. I don't have any feedback or comments at the moment, but that doesn't mean that I'm not missing something, something someone else might point out.

As someone who has written more than one issue drafts, I guarantee you that arbitrary deadlines don't work in this process. You won't inspire people to give feedback, but rather antagonise them.

Take it from someone who has had experience on the Got Issues sub-forum that this really is a process that takes time, sometimes weeks, sometimes even months. People give feedback when they have time or when they feel like it, but when they don't give feedback that doesn't automatically mean that the draft is good to go.

I am not saying all of this in bad faith. I merely want to ensure that this issue will be submitted in its best form, and improvements can only be achieved through feedback and commentary from others :)

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Untecna
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Untecna » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:33 am

Daarwyrth wrote:
Untecna wrote:Then I would say to suggest those points, if you know.

The point of feedback and commentary is to have others point out the points and issues that you yourself missed. I don't have any feedback or comments at the moment, but that doesn't mean that I'm not missing something, something someone else might point out.

As someone who has written more than one issue drafts, I guarantee you that arbitrary deadlines don't work in this process. You won't inspire people to give feedback, but rather antagonise them.

Take it from someone who has had experience on the Got Issues sub-forum that this really is a process that takes time, sometimes weeks, sometimes even months. People give feedback when they have time or when they feel like it, but when they don't give feedback that doesn't automatically mean that the draft is good to go.

I am not saying all of this in bad faith. I merely want to ensure that this issue will be submitted in its best form, and improvements can only be achieved through feedback and commentary from others :)

And I say what if they keep skipping the thread? Hmm?

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:42 am

Untecna wrote:
Daarwyrth wrote:The point of feedback and commentary is to have others point out the points and issues that you yourself missed. I don't have any feedback or comments at the moment, but that doesn't mean that I'm not missing something, something someone else might point out.

And I say what if they keep skipping the thread? Hmm?

Then we wait. Really, there is no rush to submit this, the idea is here to work on, and with time feedback will come. If submission is rushed, then you will indeed miss the opportunity for feedback.

Again, take it from me that threads get feedback and comments sooner or later :)

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:39 pm

In terms of game mechanics, this would be useful.

In terms of story-telling, it's not the most exciting. I think part of why we don't already have a reversal for unicameralism is because it's hard to make it exciting.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:25 am

USS Monitor wrote:In terms of game mechanics, this would be useful.

In terms of story-telling, it's not the most exciting. I think part of why we don't already have a reversal for unicameralism is because it's hard to make it exciting.

Absolutely! There’s multiple angles I tried to think of, and this seemed like the least "boring" one. But I agree that it lacks excitement. Would you have a suggestion on how to possibly add excitement? Perhaps that might inspire a thought on how to approach a reversal on unicameralism :)

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:56 pm

Description- "A unicum has occurred, as in an unimaginable turn of events your party managed to obtain enough seats in your nation's legislature to pass laws unilaterally." Wouldn't that always happen if there isn't a hung parliament
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:09 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Description- "A unicum has occurred, as in an unimaginable turn of events your party managed to obtain enough seats in your nation's legislature to pass laws unilaterally." Wouldn't that always happen if there isn't a hung parliament

I have yet to see a single party achieve a majority on their own, here in the Netherlands, and it's widely seen as something rather impossible here. When I look at other European countries, it's largely the same: multi-party systems where no single party holds a majority on their own, but has to achieve a majority through coalition governments.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:11 am

If it's something that's practically impossible, it shouldn't be simply asserted that it happened as part of the issue. If anything, if it's that unlikely, doesn't that mean that the problem is already dealt with, and doesn't need another solution?

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:45 am

Trotterdam wrote:If it's something that's practically impossible, it shouldn't be simply asserted that it happened as part of the issue. If anything, if it's that unlikely, doesn't that mean that the problem is already dealt with, and doesn't need another solution?

The solution is not for the unlikely situation, the unlikely situation was meant as a way to approach the issue of reverting unicameralism. As you may know, there has yet to be an issue idea that manages to approach the subject from an interesting and exciting manner. I thought this could have been it, but as has become clear, it isn't that which I had hoped it would be. Which is fine of course, if an issue premise doesn't work, then it doesn't work. As I am a co-author however, it's not up to me to decide to abandon this :)
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Next

Advertisement