NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] A Seedy Predicament

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Drew Durrnil
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 30, 2020
Anarchy

Postby Drew Durrnil » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:19 pm

made some cosmetic changes
Edit: Changed the effect lines of options 1&2 and made changes to option 2.
Last edited by Drew Durrnil on Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
also known as pacific shores
author of sc #434
professional slab worshipper
lieutenant of the south pacific special forces
2023 ananke award co-winner
Rosartemis wrote:DOWN WITH UEPU THOSE DAMNED RAIDERS!

Drew Durrnil
Ambassador

Anarchy

Postby Drew Durrnil » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:12 am

fell off the first page /bump
author of sc #434

Electrum
Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 20, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Electrum » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:24 pm

Wait @@LEADER@@ originally harvested the seeds?

However, an unexpected wildfire ravaged the plant's habitat and completely destroyed any trace of it. --> If that's the case, why are there seeds?

I would have thought the obvious answer to this issue is to plant them in an safe area and harvest more of them... That's what happens when this sort of thing happens and countries make withdrawals from their seed banks.
NationStates Tennis Tour President - NSTT rankings and season nine schedule

Issues Editor - List of issue ideas - Got Issues discord

Drew Durrnil
Ambassador

Anarchy

Postby Drew Durrnil » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:49 pm

Electrum wrote:Wait @@LEADER@@ originally harvested the seeds?

However, an unexpected wildfire ravaged the plant's habitat and completely destroyed any trace of it. --> If that's the case, why are there seeds?

I would have thought the obvious answer to this issue is to plant them in an safe area and harvest more of them... That's what happens when this sort of thing happens and countries make withdrawals from their seed banks.

I wasn't the person who originally drafted this issue, but my guess is that the wildfire made the plant extinct in the wild, the leader collected some seeds just before the wildfire, and people are deciding what to use it for. Edited for clarity.
Last edited by Drew Durrnil on Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
author of sc #434

Lumio Magika
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 12, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Lumio Magika » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:12 am

Drew Durrnil wrote:
Electrum wrote:Wait @@LEADER@@ originally harvested the seeds?

I wasn't the person who originally drafted this issue, but my guess is that the wildfire made the plant extinct in the wild, the leader collected some seeds just before the wildfire, and people are deciding what to use it for. Edited for clarity.

As the original author, I can say that this is correct, and that my intent was to make the plants unable to be cultivated in any other environment. I.E., can't be grown in a lab, and can only be grown in a certain part of the country, which was burned down by the wildfire. In an older version of option three, This was reflected in dialogue, but I wrote that out when I completely rewrote the option. I did not incorporate it before I transferred the issue to Drew.
The Literary Minds's resident therapist-to-be. In my opinion, there's no greater feeling than the happiness you get when you help someone in need. I live my life for the sake of my friends and the people around the world that need my help.

Lumio out-of-context:
Lumio Magika wrote:Burn them with holy fire until nothing but ashes remain!
I don't use NS stats! Adunatum sub Lumina!

Drew Durrnil
Ambassador

Anarchy

Postby Drew Durrnil » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:02 am

bump
author of sc #434

Drew Durrnil
Ambassador

Anarchy

Postby Drew Durrnil » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:00 pm

Moving this to last call
author of sc #434

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:16 pm

Description: you assert both that "an unexpected wildfire... completely destroyed any trace of" the miracle plant and that @@LEADER@@ has "managed to harvest" a "small number of seeds" of said plant. Electrum pointed this out with your earlier draft; why, then, do you continue to assert that a plant which still exists in some form has been "completely destroyed" without qualification?

Validity: Could/can you not think of an Option 4 valid for all nations? :P

Option 1: Why am I getting the impression from this that @@CAPITA@@ only has one hospital, and why is the hospital director @@RANDOMFEMALENAME@@ rather than generic @@RANDOMNAME@@?

Option 2: "as he bursts through the door in a wheelbarrow..." ---> "ramming through the door with a wheelbarrow..."?

Option 3: Why exactly is @@RANDOMNAME@@ claiming that the miracle plant was sacred to the Cult of Harakekara? (OOCly, what does "Harakekara" mean and why did you name the cult after them?)

(Also, does Lumio Magika not seek co-authorship?)
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Drew Durrnil
Ambassador

Anarchy

Postby Drew Durrnil » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:24 pm

Tinhampton wrote:Description: you assert both that "an unexpected wildfire... completely destroyed any trace of" the miracle plant and that @@LEADER@@ has "managed to harvest" a "small number of seeds" of said plant. Electrum pointed this out with your earlier draft; why, then, do you continue to assert that a plant which still exists in some form has been "completely destroyed" without qualification?

Validity: Could/can you not think of an Option 4 valid for all nations? :P

Option 1: Why am I getting the impression from this that @@CAPITA@@ only has one hospital, and why is the hospital director @@RANDOMFEMALENAME@@ rather than generic @@RANDOMNAME@@?

Option 2: "as he bursts through the door in a wheelbarrow..." ---> "ramming through the door with a wheelbarrow..."?

Option 3: Why exactly is @@RANDOMNAME@@ claiming that the miracle plant was sacred to the Cult of Harakekara? (OOCly, what does "Harakekara" mean and why did you name the cult after them?)

1. I'll change that. (Update: Changed)
2. If it was valid for nations, it would have to be underground, which I don't think is fitting for the cult. (Update: Cult changed into a tribe and general issue validity removed)
3. I assume it sounds better with the next phrase, but I'll change that. (Update: Changed, and the @@CAPITAL@@ Hospital is changed to the @@DENONYM@@ Health Administration)
4. yeah I'll change that (Update: Changed)
5a. cult reasons (Update: Changed to explain the seed's purpose in medicinal practices)
5b/c. idk (Update: Changed, naming the Harakekara tribe after the plant that is the focal point of the issue)
6. he was hospitalized and almost dying
Last edited by Drew Durrnil on Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
author of sc #434

Lumio Magika
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Lumio Magika » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:15 am

Drew Durrnil wrote:6. he was hospitalized and almost dying

Tinhampton wrote:

I'm fine with whatever Drew credits me for. It's his issue now, I just supplied the base and the idea.

As a side note, the effect of Option three still says "Cult".

And to address Tin and Electrum's concerns about the urgency of the issue (regarding the possibility of replanting the seeds), i would add the following to the description:

"After lab tests showed they were impossible to cultivate domestically, hordes of...." and so on.
To drive it home a little bit more, It might be a good idea to place a timer on the decision- maybe that the seeds may rot or lose their effectiveness if not used quickly. This will serve to further support that the seeds may not be replanted, but that you also cannot wait for their natural habitat to regrow. I would include this on one of the options. Maybe option one. You might also write an entirely new option for some exposition, but that might be pushing it.

In it's current state, I wouldn't put it in Last Call- There's still too many problems to hammer out, and too many questions to answer.
Last edited by Lumio Magika on Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:35 am, edited 5 times in total.
The Literary Minds's resident therapist-to-be. In my opinion, there's no greater feeling than the happiness you get when you help someone in need. I live my life for the sake of my friends and the people around the world that need my help.

Lumio out-of-context:

Drew Durrnil
Ambassador

Anarchy

Postby Drew Durrnil » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:28 pm

Lumio Magika wrote:
Drew Durrnil wrote:6. he was hospitalized and almost dying

Tinhampton wrote:

I'm fine with whatever Drew credits me for. It's his issue now, I just supplied the base and the idea.

As a side note, the effect of Option three still says "Cult".

And to address Tin and Electrum's concerns about the urgency of the issue (regarding the possibility of replanting the seeds), i would add the following to the description:

"After lab tests showed they were impossible to cultivate domestically, hordes of...." and so on.
To drive it home a little bit more, It might be a good idea to place a timer on the decision- maybe that the seeds may rot or lose their effectiveness if not used quickly. This will serve to further support that the seeds may not be replanted, but that you also cannot wait for their natural habitat to regrow. I would include this on one of the options. Maybe option one. You might also write an entirely new option for some exposition, but that might be pushing it.

In it's current state, I wouldn't put it in Last Call- There's still too many problems to hammer out, and too many questions to answer.

ok, fixed
author of sc #434

Minskiev
Minister

Founded: Apr 20, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Minskiev » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:00 pm

My redraft.

[title] A Seedy Predicament
[description] The exotic Harakekara plant, a plant native to @@NAME@@ whose seeds have extensive medical capabilities, was recently ravaged by an unexpected wildfire, with all traces of it in the wild gone. Corporate representatives, zoologists, and nature lovers have swarmed your office with their suggestions on where to allocate the small number of seeds you managed to save from the fire.

[option] "These seeds are priceless!" exclaims your Minister of Health, @@RANDOMNAME@@. "We already know that they heal superficial wounds, can stop nosebleeds, and speed up the recovery process of banana-peel slips tenfold! These things could save so many lives!" @@HE@@ throws a banana peel on your desk and thrusts a knife into it. "Let's show these slippery yellow menaces that we mean business!"
[effect] ex-hospital patients often seem to have superhuman healing abilities

[optionvalidity] must have private industry
[option] "Priceless, you say?" asks Technoking of TheBoringSpace, Epsom Tusk, as he rams through the door with a wheelbarrow filled with money. "I smell profits! If these seeds are so great, then let's spread the word. You and I can advertise these things as the cure for all ailments, and I'll- er, we'll make a fortune!" He gestures to his assistant, who wheels him out the door, leaving a trail of @@CURRENCYPLURAL@@.
[effect] you are not a @@DEMONYM@@ until you have purchased the MagicPlant essential oils

[option] "NO!" bellows a local indigenous tribe member as they frantically place a tinfoil hat on their head. "You've meddled in holy forces that foreigners like you cannot understand! Those seeds are sacred to the Tribe of Harakekara and were a gift that our God of Medicine has sent us for our eternal glory! You must return them at once or face divine retribution!" They collapse to the floor, muttering about hoes and soil.
[effect] members of the Harakekara Tribe are often identifiable by their abnormally healthy appearance

Some notes I have:

1. How does one fire destroy an entire species?
2. What exactly is Option 1 asking for?
3. Effect line 1 is too literal
4. Seeds aren't essential oils last time I checked.
Last edited by Minskiev on Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Minskiev/Walrus. Former Delegate of the Rejected Realms, 3x Officer. 15x WA author. Join the RRA here.

Lumio Magika
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Lumio Magika » Tue May 04, 2021 7:45 am

off the front page bump

Lumio out-of-context:

Drew Durrnil
Ambassador

Anarchy

Postby Drew Durrnil » Tue May 04, 2021 11:37 pm

Minskiev wrote:My redraft.

[title] A Seedy Predicament
[description] The exotic Harakekara plant, a plant native to @@NAME@@ whose seeds have extensive medical capabilities, was recently ravaged by an unexpected wildfire, with all traces of it in the wild gone. Corporate representatives, zoologists, and nature lovers have swarmed your office with their suggestions on where to allocate the small number of seeds you managed to save from the fire.

[option] "These seeds are priceless!" exclaims your Minister of Health, @@RANDOMNAME@@. "We already know that they heal superficial wounds, can stop nosebleeds, and speed up the recovery process of banana-peel slips tenfold! These things could save so many lives!" @@HE@@ throws a banana peel on your desk and thrusts a knife into it. "Let's show these slippery yellow menaces that we mean business!"
[effect] ex-hospital patients often seem to have superhuman healing abilities

[optionvalidity] must have private industry
[option] "Priceless, you say?" asks Technoking of TheBoringSpace, Epsom Tusk, as he rams through the door with a wheelbarrow filled with money. "I smell profits! If these seeds are so great, then let's spread the word. You and I can advertise these things as the cure for all ailments, and I'll- er, we'll make a fortune!" He gestures to his assistant, who wheels him out the door, leaving a trail of @@CURRENCYPLURAL@@.
[effect] you are not a @@DEMONYM@@ until you have purchased the MagicPlant essential oils

[option] "NO!" bellows a local indigenous tribe member as they frantically place a tinfoil hat on their head. "You've meddled in holy forces that foreigners like you cannot understand! Those seeds are sacred to the Tribe of Harakekara and were a gift that our God of Medicine has sent us for our eternal glory! You must return them at once or face divine retribution!" They collapse to the floor, muttering about hoes and soil.
[effect] members of the Harakekara Tribe are often identifiable by their abnormally healthy appearance

Some notes I have:

1. How does one fire destroy an entire species?
2. What exactly is Option 1 asking for?
3. Effect line 1 is too literal
4. Seeds aren't essential oils last time I checked.

1. Done
2. The species is endemic to the @@ANIMAL@@ Forest, where its special living conditions can be met.
3. Edited for clarity.
4. Changed
5. Epson Tusk will turn the seeds into essential oils somehow.
I also added Lumio Magika as a coauthor.
Last edited by Drew Durrnil on Tue May 04, 2021 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
author of sc #434

Lumio Magika
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Lumio Magika » Wed May 05, 2021 8:00 am

Thank you a lot, Drew :)

As A side note, here's a redraft that might add a bit more urgency to it (as well as some minor flow tweaks)

[title]A Seedy Predicament
[description] Yesterday, the exotic Harakekara plant, a rare plant native to the @@ANIMAL@@ Forest whose seeds have extensive medical capabilities, was ravaged by an unexpected wildfire that eliminated all traces of it in the wild. After biologists discovered that the plant can not be cultivated via any known means, corporate representatives, zoologists, and nature lovers have swarmed your office with their suggestions on where to allocate the small number of seeds harvesters managed to save from the fire.
[validity]Valid for all nations

[option]"We must act fast!" exclaims your Minister of Health, @@RANDOMNAME@@, as @@HE@@ slams down a stack of papers detailing the locations of local hospitals onto your desk. " These seeds are known to lose their potency if they aren't refined within two days! We already know that they heal superficial wounds, can stop nosebleeds, and speed up the recovery process of banana-peel slips tenfold! These things are also known to cure fatal diseases! Think of the lives we can save!" @@HE@@ throws a banana peel on your desk and thrusts a knife into it. "Let's show these slippery yellow menaces that we mean business!"
[effect]in @@NATION@@, you enter a hospital as a patient and exit as a superhero

[optionvalidity]Invalid for socialist nations
[option]"Do I smell profits?!" exclaims Technoking of TheBoringSpace, Epsom Tusk, as he rams through the door in a wheelbarrow filled with money. " If these seeds are so great, let's spread the word... I'll turn them into vitamin gummies and pills, so I can sell them across the nation in a limited time offer and I'll- er, I mean we'll make a mint!" He gestures to his assistant, who wheels him out the door, leaving a trail of @@CURRENCY@@ in their wake.
[effect]you are not a @@DENONYM@@ until you have purchased the MagicPlant essential oils

[option] "NO!" exclaims local indigenous tribe member @@RANDOMNAME@@ as @@HE@@ frantically places a tinfoil hat on @@HIS@@ head. "You've meddled in holy forces that foreigners like you cannot understand! Those seeds are sacred to the Tribe of Harakekara and are a Gift that our God of Medicine has sent us for our eternal glory! You must return them at once, or face divine retribution!" @@HE@@ collapses to the floor, muttering about omnipotent cats and rainbow elephants.
[effect]members of the Tribe of Harakekara are often identifiable by their unnaturally healthy appearance
Last edited by Lumio Magika on Wed May 05, 2021 8:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Lumio out-of-context:

Drew Durrnil
Ambassador

Anarchy

Postby Drew Durrnil » Wed May 05, 2021 5:19 pm

Lumio Magika wrote:Thank you a lot, Drew :)

As A side note, here's a redraft that might add a bit more urgency to it (as well as some minor flow tweaks)

[title]A Seedy Predicament
[description] Yesterday, the exotic Harakekara plant, a rare plant native to the @@ANIMAL@@ Forest whose seeds have extensive medical capabilities, was ravaged by an unexpected wildfire that eliminated all traces of it in the wild. After biologists discovered that the plant can not be cultivated via any known means, corporate representatives, zoologists, and nature lovers have swarmed your office with their suggestions on where to allocate the small number of seeds harvesters managed to save from the fire.
[validity]Valid for all nations

[option]"We must act fast!" exclaims your Minister of Health, @@RANDOMNAME@@, as @@HE@@ slams down a stack of papers detailing the locations of local hospitals onto your desk. " These seeds are known to lose their potency if they aren't refined within two days! We already know that they heal superficial wounds, can stop nosebleeds, and speed up the recovery process of banana-peel slips tenfold! These things are also known to cure fatal diseases! Think of the lives we can save!" @@HE@@ throws a banana peel on your desk and thrusts a knife into it. "Let's show these slippery yellow menaces that we mean business!"
[effect]in @@NATION@@, you enter a hospital as a patient and exit as a superhero

[optionvalidity]Invalid for socialist nations
[option]"Do I smell profits?!" exclaims Technoking of TheBoringSpace, Epsom Tusk, as he rams through the door in a wheelbarrow filled with money. " If these seeds are so great, let's spread the word... I'll turn them into vitamin gummies and pills, so I can sell them across the nation in a limited time offer and I'll- er, I mean we'll make a mint!" He gestures to his assistant, who wheels him out the door, leaving a trail of @@CURRENCY@@ in their wake.
[effect]you are not a @@DENONYM@@ until you have purchased the MagicPlant essential oils

[option] "NO!" exclaims local indigenous tribe member @@RANDOMNAME@@ as @@HE@@ frantically places a tinfoil hat on @@HIS@@ head. "You've meddled in holy forces that foreigners like you cannot understand! Those seeds are sacred to the Tribe of Harakekara and are a Gift that our God of Medicine has sent us for our eternal glory! You must return them at once, or face divine retribution!" @@HE@@ collapses to the floor, muttering about omnipotent cats and rainbow elephants.
[effect]members of the Tribe of Harakekara are often identifiable by their unnaturally healthy appearance

done
author of sc #434

Lumio Magika
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Lumio Magika » Tue May 11, 2021 7:33 am

Bumped :)

Lumio out-of-context:

Laka Strolistandiler
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 14, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Laka Strolistandiler » Tue May 11, 2021 7:37 am

As the description includes a “corporate” notion I would like to ask you to add that socialist states shouldn’t receive this issue. After all, working hard to build a good socialist economy and than have a helload of issues where you’re approached by business leaders and lobbyists isn’t fun
||||||||||||||||||||
I am not a Russian but a Cameroonian born in this POS.
An autocratic semi feudal monarchy with elements of aristocracy. Society absurdly hierarchical, cosplaying Edwardian Britain. A British-ish colonial empire incorporating some partially democratic nations who just want some WMD’s
Pronouns up to your choice I can be a girl if I want to so refer to me as she/her.
I reserve the right to /stillme any one-liners if my post is at least two lines long

Lumio Magika
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Lumio Magika » Tue May 11, 2021 1:36 pm

Good point. It would make it easier, too. As all nations with the issue would have two options, instead of the possibility of them only having one (IE, having socialism and no religion). I'll make sure to pass that on to Drew.

Lumio out-of-context:

Drew Durrnil
Ambassador

Anarchy

Postby Drew Durrnil » Wed May 12, 2021 9:43 am

Lumio Magika wrote:Good point. It would make it easier, too. As all nations with the issue would have two options, instead of the possibility of them only having one (IE, having socialism and no religion). I'll make sure to pass that on to Drew.

ok, done
author of sc #434

Lumio Magika
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Lumio Magika » Mon May 17, 2021 10:21 am

bump time!

Lumio out-of-context:

Drew Durrnil
Ambassador

Anarchy

Postby Drew Durrnil » Thu May 20, 2021 8:24 pm

/bump
author of sc #434

Lumio Magika
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Lumio Magika » Tue May 25, 2021 7:06 am

Magical third bump!

Lumio out-of-context:

Drew Durrnil
Ambassador

Anarchy

Postby Drew Durrnil » Sat May 29, 2021 7:20 pm

fourth /bump coming up
since no one had been giving out feedback for almost 3 weeks I'm moving this to last call
Last edited by Drew Durrnil on Sat May 29, 2021 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
author of sc #434

Drew Durrnil
Ambassador

Anarchy

Postby Drew Durrnil » Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:31 pm

I'm submitting this as part of the issues contest
author of sc #434

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?